Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,688 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:13 PM

Nigerians Are Born Cowards! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Are Born Cowards! (4425 Views)

Niger Deltans Are Cowards We Know What To Do To Them - Nnamdi Kanu / Radio Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu Just Called Igbos Standing On The Sideline Cowards / Niger Delta Oil Is Useless. Tompolo, Dokubo Are Cowards.- A Radio Caller. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by Nobody: 9:07am On Jan 18, 2009
I almost share the same view with this Phil of a guy. What about you? Are nigerians really cowards?

Nigerians Are Cowards

Written by Phil Tam-Al Alalibo

Sunday, 18 January 2009

Nowhere on God’s green planet have I seen a mass of humanity so cowed by their corrupt and thieving leaders; nowhere in God’s universe have I seen a people so afraid to confront their leaders and ask what they have done with the billions; nowhere in this world have I seen a bunch of lily-livered souls willing to be subjected to the most inhumane, vile and contemptible conditions the world has seen in the midst of plenty and not hold their leaders accountable. The poverty and misery that exist in Nigeria is so grinding, so biting, so disheartening that even the devil, the father of all evil, would say, “This one is too much.” What is wrong with Nigerians that they cannot hold their leaders accountable to improve their lives? Why can’t Nigerians take to the streets to peacefully protest better roads, better schools, better hospitals, jobs and what have you? Why can’t Nigerians troop enmasse as we saw in Thailand recently to the various government houses across the state capitals and hold endless protests until their governor pays civil servants salaries, improve the infrastructures, etc.

I was discussing with a friend just a few days ago and in the course of the discussion asked her if she enjoyed her trip to Nigeria over the Christmas holiday. She admitted it was enjoyable from the personal angle, but remarked that NEPA (or is it PHCN) made the trip miserable by its inability to maintain light during the Yuletide in Lagos. If Lagos, the economic hub of the nation cannot fare better, one can imagine the fate of other cities in the country. And to think that all this is occurring in the 49th year of independence, when Nigeria should be well passed this stage of development belies the palpable cowardice of the Nigerian nation and its long-suffering people. After 48 years of independence, Nigeria is still dabbling with erratic power supply after Obasanjo squandered more then $16 billion on that sector.

It becomes a vexing matter that Nigerians appear resigned to their fate of darkness and desolation – each time you discuss with a Nigerian about the epileptic power situation, he or she would say – "Na so we see em". What nonsense, what sheer nonsense – what does this mean? Why should that be the way we see it? Why should Nigerians accept such a status quo? Why should they settle for less when their country is awash in petrol dollars? Why can’t Nigerians as a people say, enough is enough, and march to NEPA headquarters and demand accountability? If Nigerians want constant power, if they want good roads, if they want equipped hospitals and schools, if they want safety and jobs, they must demand them as their leaders are too selfish, too corrupt, too self-serving, too pre-occupied to cater to their welfare. When they take that oath of office to protect and serve the masses, they are indeed serving their pockets.

Evidently, not only its citizens are cowards, the Nigerian government itself is awash in a sea of cowardice and epitomizes its very meaning. It was only last August that Nigeria ceded a very rich territory (Bakassi) to a small and seemingly inconsequential nation of Cameroon under the guise of obeying international law. What arrant nonsense – a nation that obeys international laws yet violates the dictates of its own laws and verdicts rendered by duly constituted courts of law. Our leaders have demonstrated time and time again an irritating posture when it comes to dealing with foreign leaders. They become tamed and cultured in the presence of foreigners almost to the point of vain worship, but when they deal with their people, the people they are suppose to serve, they become bulls. I was alarmed when Obasanjo, well in his seventies, said to President Bush, only in his late fifties then and by all accounts his junior in age and even in experience, “yes sir”. What shall we call this - inferiority complex or plain cowardice coming from someone they said was a brave soldier? We should recall that when Obasanjo became head of state in February, 1976, the current President Bush was boozing around, a rascal with no inkling of life. After saying “yes sir”, “yes sir”, to Bush and bowing profusely to him while he visited Abuja, the same Obasanjo suddenly found the effrontery, the strength to insult Nigerians at every turn after Bush’s departure.

A few months ago, I was travelling through Abia State and had no choice, but to shed tears at what met my eyes. This was a state governed by the mouthy and seemingly elusive Orji Kalu from 1999-2007. Orji was the epitome of corruption to the point that even his mother, Eunice, got into the action. He remains the only former governor whose mother was declared wanted by Ribadu’s EFCC for acts of corruption. One then wonders what Orji did for Abia State in the eight years he held mighty sway besides talking endlessly from all sides of his mouth. Driving through Aba, the famous commercial capital of the nation, the filth and scum witnessed on its streets would make anyone question if the state had a government.

At every corner laid heaps of refuge being scourged by the simmering Nigerian sun with nauseating odor permeating the thick odious air. I saw motorists driving and avoiding the heaps of dirt that had been placed on major highways. But what was most depressing was the fact that Abians had come to accept this condition as a way of life; they had resigned themselves to this calamity and failure of government; they had effectively thrown their hands in the air in utter surrender to mediocrity and paucity. I saw hundreds of Aba residents milling around the refuge without a single soul awed by the offensive sights and the evident threat of health epidemic posed by this neglect. But must it be so? Must Nigerians accept their fate without a fight, without asking for better life?

Politicians come and go, all trampling upon Nigerians with impunity. They believe they are above board, untouchable; therefore, they get away with the worst kind of ineptitude and official corruption. A few years ago, in Rivers State, workers’ salaries were held for about two months as the government of Peter Odili claimed that it as ridding the payroll of ghost names, etc. On account of this action, thousands of workers had to go on forced starvation while the state got its payroll in order. I remember getting calls from relatives and friends all asking for money to sustain their families as they await their salaries. But if the more than 20,000 workers’ on the state’s payroll had trooped to Government House in Port-Harcourt to demand their salaries, there was no doubt that the payroll would have been in order that same day. It is simple, my friends - Nigerians are suffering because they allow their leaders to treat them like slaves, non-entities. They are suffering because they lack the courage to challenge their leaders and hold them accountable. They are jobless because the political will is lacking as is the leverage to get government to act on their behalf.

All over the country, current and former governors are trampling upon their citizens, and Nigerians allow these shenanigans to continue unabated. Just look at the facts - Peter Odili milked Rivers to the tune of over $5 billion, purchasing first class hospitals all over South Africa; Joshua Dariye looted Plateau’s treasury to the tune of over N5 billion and Diepreye Alamieyeseigha swept Bayelsa’s treasury to the tune of more than N10 billion and yet after his arrest and incarceration in London for money laundering and associated charges, he was accorded a hero’s welcome in his home state with the Nigerian Police mounting an honor guard for him. Imagine such glorification of a criminal, a cross-dresser and a treasury looter who tainted the already battered image of the country with his greed. With such tomfoolery, would anyone pity Nigerians for their current state of destitution and lack?

On the national level, Babangida, perhaps, the most corrupt leader in the history of Nigeria with more than $15 billion of Nigeria’s money in his private accounts in banks all over globe is today one of the most celebrated personalities in the country with fervent discussions of his return as civilian president in 2011. Where is the outrage, Nigerians? Rather than condemning and calling for his trial for sordid crimes against Nigerians, Babangida has become an ambassador of sorts, being sent to Kenya and Guinea on peace missions; he is an opinion giver, a king maker and an elder statesman, a free citizen of the same country he raped and left for death; where is the outrage, Nigerians. A trip to Minna, the dictator’s home town would reveal the evidence of Babangida’s massive corruption in the form of his famous “50-50 mansion”, a reference to its cost ($50 million) and the number of bedrooms (50) that cascade the landscape of the villa. Anyone that travels to Minna cannot miss that hilltop fortress Babangida calls home. Yet, it has become a tourist attraction instead of a source of indignation and condemnation. It has become a-must-visit Minna landmark for any serious visitor to the city. It has become a source of pride for Minna residents, who, instead of questioning how a mere General in a third world army could afford such edifice, have resorted to platitudes and vain glorification of a rogue. With such attitude, why wouldn’t their leaders trample upon them?

Since the introduction of Sharia on October 19, 1999 by the hypocritical former governor of Zamfara, Sani Ahmed Yarima, more than ten thousand Nigerians who have lost their lives in the various ensuing riots. Has anyone been held responsible for these deaths? Not a single soul. Has anyone asked of the outcome of the million and one probes that were instituted? Nigeria remains the only country where thousands would be killed and no one is held responsible for their deaths. Nigerians are like barking dogs with no tangible bite - look at how they barked furiously at the brutalization of Ms. Uzoma Okere by Rear Admiral Harry Arogundade and his ratings in Lagos on November 3, 2008 - a probe was set up and recommendations made to the presidency - what has happened? And as usual, Nigerians have forgotten the incident and have moved on and will only remember when it happens again to another innocent Nigerian. Only a few months ago, we witnessed the arrest, brief detention and release of some ex governors in the persons of James Ibori, Samuni Taraki, Orji Kalu, Joshua Dariye, Ayo Fayose and Lucky Igbinedion, but how many, my friends, have had their day in court and held responsible for abuse of office and how have Nigerians responded to this dearth of justice?

As dispairing as it may sound, I should say that its not all bad news as in the midst of this sprawling cowardice, there were and still are brave Nigerians that laid it on the line to challenge the status quo. I speak here of Benue’s own Major Gideon Orkar and his co-coupists who challenged Babangida’s corruption, drug dealings and alleged immoral sexual acts by sending him to his bunker for dear life. Orkar was brave to the very end, paying the ultimate price with amazing brevity and acceptable mien that would elude most men on such a dire occasion. Then there was Ken Saro-Wiwa who refused to dine with the devil, Abacha and in the process, was introduced to the noose in Port-Harcourt prison. Nuhu Ribadu remains a hero for figting corruption even with all the limitations and let us not forget the likes of the Biafran leader, Ojuwku, Philip Effiong, etc, who laid siege to the Nigerian nation for three years, advancing what they believed in even in a failed effort.

Additionally, the likes of Wole Soyinka, Gani Fawehinmi and Chinua Achebe, all of whom have shown grave temerity in the face of adversity, rejecting national awards and espousing the interests of Nigerians at every opportunity. And those students of University of Lagos and other universities across the land that dragged the pussy-footing Babangida out of office in 1992/93, must not escape our attention at times like these – these were and still are all brave Nigerians who damned the consequences to effect a change. Some are waiting to return to Nigeria before effecting a change, but it needs not be so; in this day and age of the internet and technology, initiating a global movement to effect positive change has become easier than ever and I reckon those who have embarked on this course. But I must ask; what has happened to the majority of Nigerians? Why has this majority adopted silence as its anthem and mantra?

While Nigerians must eschew violence in demanding their right and holding their leaders accountable, they must disabuse themselves of the cloak of cowardice. Nothing in that country works, no light, no good roads, no clean drinking water, no security, no jobs and yet Nigerians are content, walking about as though they had no leverage. They sigh about their condition, every Nigerian holds a Ph.D in sigh science – but even as they sigh and shake their heads from side to side in sheer abandonment, they remain reluctant to effect a positive change. Some Nigerians that have visited the US, Canada, England and other industrialized nations know that their leaders can do better, but yet, they remain silent in the face of abuse and neglect. I have never been to Dubai, but I have heard of what the United Arab Emirates has done with oil money with massive developmental projects; I even heard that they built the world’s first 7-star hotel in the sea in the midst of the desert.

Nigerians who have visited that desert enclave testify of the wonders of oil money – but when those same Nigerians return home, they remain silent knowing fully well that their lot could be improved by their leaders. When NEPA takes light, they sneak to their backyard and turn on the generator, saying quietly to themselves, “dis kind kontry sef.” In all these, I am not in the least surprised at this aloofness and seeming apathy of Nigerians, for the Nigerian is one who does not want to be disturbed, one who is afraid of death and wants to live another day to attend his owambe party, wear his flowing robes, wiggle his shoulders in a peacock fashion and drive his fancy cars – even though he is suffering, he accepts his fate and complains endlessly to his friends over pepper soup without the effrontery to change his condition. After his complains, he returns to his abode, engages in pity party and wallows in his misery. As the great Mahatma Gandhi said, “Be the change you want to see” – apparently, this admonition is not for Nigerians who have proven to be perennial gluttons for misery.
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by sheyee(m): 9:33am On Jan 18, 2009
Nice Speech Phil, I dont believe Nigerians are coward, many that have tried to bring sanity to this nation had one way or the other murdered, victimized just like what Ribadu is passing through now.

So who is going to bell the cat and be the scape goat.
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by sheyee(m): 9:35am On Jan 18, 2009
cry cry cry
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by redsun(m): 9:48am On Jan 18, 2009
This is it.

Some blindly believe in christ but they don't understand the significance of christ story,sacrifice,u lose to find.
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by chidichris(m): 10:32am On Jan 18, 2009
no we are not cowards rather we are bunch of deciets eg ribadu. what we have here are lions in sheeps dress.
we have blood thirsty leaders whose inordinate ambition to remain in power can delete a whole community without feeling bad e.g obj.
the mechanics on our roads have made it difficult for us to know the madmen in the street.
real people have decided to stay away for the fear of the unknow e.g okonjo iweala.
people who have refused to get involved in the dirty deals have been termed talkatives e.g wole soyinka.
criminals have been crowned heros e.g obj, bode george, fani kayode, tony annenih, late adedibu, chris and andy uba just to mention but a few.
people who are surposed to be looked upto as role models have turned into tools of disrepect and disappointments e.g Pro. Iwu.
those who vowed to make nigeria good have left after enriching their banks accouts e.g el rufai.
in the last ten years, nigeria has gone back to 20 yrs because of a cartel holding the country bondage in the name of a political party - pd and p.
protest does not work in nigeria and violence cannot work because u cannot fight an armed soldier with empty hands.
my prayer; GOD, IT IS OBVIOUS THAT A FEW PEOPLE IS SITTING ON THE PROGRESS OF THIS BLESSED COUNTRY FORCING THE MASSES TO DIE, SUFFER AND ENGAGE THEMSELVES IN DIFFERENT ODD BUSINESSES, PLS VISIT THEM LIKE U DID TO THOSE WHO DID THE SAME IN THE BIBLE.
VISIT THEM AND THEIR FAMILIES BY FIRE. FATHER LET US BE FREE FROM THESE NEW COLONIAL MASTERS. FATHER LET UR PEOPLE BE FREE BY FORCE IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST-AND I SAY -------- AMENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by RICHIEBOI1(m): 12:13pm On Jan 18, 2009
sheyee:

Nice Speech Phil, I dont believe Nigerians are coward, many that have tried to bring sanity to this nation had one way or the other murdered, victimized just like what Ribadu is passing through now.

So who is going to bell the cat and be the scape goat.

well said wink
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by lucabrasi(m): 12:42pm On Jan 18, 2009
nigerians cowards?
when i saw this,the first thing i did was try to confirm my suspicions which is that the phil of a guy must be a diasporian,and true enough he was,i stopped reading after that,
nigerians are not cowards,they have to contend with and struggle daily with phcn,water,bad roads,bad leaders,fear of armed robbery e.t.c while th likes of phil are abroad in their comfort zone writing useless articles,if you cannot go to nigeria and stand shoulder to shoulder with these sme nigerians to effect change,then you have not earned any right to call them cowards,after all you are several thousands km away from the reality on ground
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by ilaugh1: 12:44pm On Jan 18, 2009
lucabrasi:

nigerians cowards?
when i saw this,the first thing i did was try to confirm my suspicions which is that the phil of a guy must be a diasporian,and true enough he was,i stopped reading after that,
nigerians are not cowards,they have to contend with and struggle daily with phcn,water,bad roads,bad leaders,fear of armed robbery e.t.c while th likes of phil are abroad in their comfort zone writing useless articles,if you cannot go to nigeria and stand shoulder to shoulder with these sme nigerians to effect change,then you have not earned any right to call them cowards,after all you are several thousands km away from the reality on ground

You are the best.
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by MrCrackles(m): 12:48pm On Jan 18, 2009
I weep for Nigeria! cry cry cry cry
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by Kobojunkie: 1:18pm On Jan 18, 2009
You all have it wrong. Following the thinking that seems to be prevalent, the only reason why Nigeria is on that list is because Nigerians like you and are are not thinking enough happy thoughts.

Please think happy thoughts about things in Nigeria will solve themselves. In fact, blame the Phil for writing such an article. Even though he may have made some points that need attention, ignore those and attack his person, especially if he is not in Nigeria presently.
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by aieromon(m): 1:33pm On Jan 18, 2009
hit the nail right !!!!

we are the happiest people on earth.you know why?

we r suffering n smiling(apologies to Fela)

need i say more?
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by felifeli: 5:31pm On Jan 18, 2009
How I wish people will learn to just speak for themselves rather than for all of us.

Hey Phil , say "Phil is a born coward" everyday seven times after you've just woken up and seven times before you go to sleep and it will be well with you. Amen
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by oderemo(m): 6:30pm On Jan 18, 2009
@poster i will tell you a true story,

the youth in okene local govt. revolted against their local government about its inability to discharge her duties , most of the times the local govt chairman was in abuja attending to BETTER things than what he deems local, anyway all the youth involved in the call for change were rounded up and well before each and every release the police collect 3 to 5 thousand naira.

secondly . i was waiting in a Que for petrol in Abuja , along kubwa rd,low and below i realised so called big men were pushing me out, i got out and made my annoyance known to the station manager, instead of the manager reason with me he refused to serve me, saying how can i be that daft not to recognise the guy as hon.senator.

at poster , you were not there to bail those rioters who will think twice before joining any more protest.
secondly do i go and build my own filling station?
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by texazzpete(m): 7:52pm On Jan 18, 2009
lucabrasi:

nigerians cowards?

This is a lamentable attitude!

lucabrasi:

You've just proved his point; you've shown that you're so jaded, so used to the rot in society that it does not bother you anymore.

The same challenges we face are what those in Thailand faced. So what's the difference? Courage.
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by blacksta(m): 8:37pm On Jan 18, 2009
@poster

Thank you for this thought provoking article. Nigeria will never change until you we all fed up with this status. quo Please people stop praying to your maker for change it ticks me off and it is a really an insult to the whole establishment of God. Until we embrace the courage of the people of the Ukraine, Thailland and Greece I can guranttee that, this ROT will continue. I refuse to picture how nigeria will look in the next 10 years.

NO FIGHT NO CHANGE.

u better buy your generators in advance cause more darkness is upon u all
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by blacksta(m): 8:40pm On Jan 18, 2009
@
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by oderemo(m): 8:44pm On Jan 18, 2009
refuse to picture how nigeria will look in the next 10 years.

armagedon.
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by Kafin(m): 8:49pm On Jan 18, 2009
@ nuzo, Thanks for sharing the message from Phil Tam-Al Alalibo.

Several good points in the message, but I am assuring you that Nigerians are not cowards; What is at play in Nigeria is "an understanding of the consiquences of ones actions".

The populace cant take any action (ie public protest and other open confrontations) because if they do, we all know what will happen.

The few that are still comfortable are not taking any action, mostly because of the fear loosing their position/source of wealth.

The "curupt leaders" are taking the actions we have been withnessing mostly becuase THEY ARE SURE nothing will hapen to them. I can boldly say that the reason why someone acts curuptly is either that the person is sure nothing will happen to him/her, or the consequences of being caught is nothing (too small) comapred to the gain that awaits them if they sail-through.

I will definately not suggest any public protest, but we can start by practicing DEMOCRACY the way it is supposed to be practiced; we should all get involved in governance. I am not talking of voting, (some of the officials and parties sincerely dont need anyone's vote to get into power), we should all be in close contact with our Councelors, and representatives in Parliament and constantly tell them to do what we want. It will be even better IF those that dont represent their constituency can be easily voted out.

Another factor that promotes curruption among our leadres (both those in government and otherwise) is this thing they call immunity. We have all comapared western nations with Nigeria in terms of comfort, opportunities, and cleaniness, but let us go a step further and compare the governance. Why for goodness sake should a GOOD LEADER be looking for immunity from prosecution for the action that he/she took? Leaders in the western nations routinely get investigaved, and those found guilty of illigality have been purnished.

I beg each and every Nigeria (both home and abroad) that read this message to find out who is their councelors, and their representative in parliament. Also get to know the process of voting out any one of them that is not representing the intrest of their constituency. If we can get this level of government to respresent the intrest of the people, we will make a big advancement.

After getting to know your representative in parliament, request that we as a nation wants to remove immunity from our elected officers. The president and vice may have limited-immunity, but if it can be established that they acted contrary to the intrest of the nation, they should be held accountable.

Some people fear that our leaders will not be able to act promptly without immunity, believe me, this is not true. They will simply have to make sure that the actions they are executing is in the best intrest of the nation, or else, . . ,

Other laws that will improve the nation can follow, and I am sure the avarage Nigerian already has a long list.

@Ode Remo
the youth in okene local govt. revolted against their local government  about its inability to discharge her  duties , most of the times the local govt chairman was  in abuja attending to BETTER things than what he deems local, anyway  all the youth involved in the call for change were rounded up and well before each and every  release the police collect 3 to 5 thousand naira.  

I wont deny that such events do happen. They will continue to happen untill the "bad leaders" know that there is a repercaution for their actions.

So let us start the long-process of having a House of assembly that represent the intrest of the people. I assure you that other "goodies" will follow.
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by asha80(m): 8:52pm On Jan 18, 2009
refuse to picture how nigeria will look in the next 10 years.

armagedon

shocked sad
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by Kobojunkie: 9:11pm On Jan 18, 2009
Talk about self-made Zombies!! Man!! Fela for dey make millions if say im dey alive today!
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by hajifaty: 9:41pm On Jan 18, 2009
lucabrasi:

nigerians cowards?
You are right man. Make god safe us
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by MaiSuya(m): 11:02pm On Jan 18, 2009
me i know say i no be coward sha . . .
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by bindex(m): 1:10am On Jan 19, 2009
nigerians cowards?

Nigeria is currently where it is because most of the people living in the country reason like the poster above. What a shame.If I remember correctly over 2 million people gathered in Kano state when sharia was launched back in 2001 people came out and killed each other just so that sharia would be implemented, millions of people gather every year for various Christians crusades all over the country blocking major highways and disrupting business buy causing delays and wasting a lot of man hours etc but people can not organize themselves to go and protest or fight for their rights. Its sickening. Nigerians depend too much on the supernatural, which have failed us for the past 49 years we keep on praying and wishing that the Gods will help us solve or endless problems, lets challenge ourselves and take the bull by its horn. Prayers and believe in the supernatural has flailed us so its time we try something else. something like accountability and fearlessly fighting for what we believe is truly ours.
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by cold(m): 1:37am On Jan 19, 2009
We need som1 who can throw shoes at the president.
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by ifele(m): 1:38am On Jan 19, 2009
You see the problem with black folks in Nigeria is that they believe that a special Messiah will do everything for them.

The Special Messiah will save us from corrupt leaders and oppressors without our lifting a finger.

Another problem is fear. Nigerian are psychologically indoctrinated by schools and society to fear violence and not to take risks that will lead to violent reactions from other players. This indoctrination is usually sublime but started at a young age so that it is well ingrained in the behaviour.

Example: Repeating the national anthem every morning in school and attaching a prayer to God in it. You Nigerians are very religious and the anthem itself indoctrinates the student making them beleive that Nigerian leaders are servants of God and that they are God's reps on earth. The truth is that they are the agents of misery and hopelessness of the society.

Nationalism and religious fervor mix very well. In the end the students will grow up disillusioned and find their own paths. Some wont even believe that God is good when they have been praying to God to guide the leaders right when the leaders have been doing wrong and sucking their blood. They will even confess that God is bad. I have heard this first hand.

So beware to propaganda and indoctrination. Protect your childrens minds.
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by Kobojunkie: 2:35am On Jan 19, 2009
bindex:

Nigeria is currently where it is because most of the people living in the country reason like the poster above. What a shame. If I remember correctly over 2 million people gathered in Kano state when sharia was launched back in 2001 people came out and killed each other just so that sharia would be implemented, millions of people gather every year for various Christians crusades all over the country blocking major highways and disrupting business buy causing delays and wasting a lot of man hours etc but people can not organize themselves to go and protest or fight for their rights. Its sickening. Nigerians depend too much on the supernatural, which have failed us for the past 49 years we keep on praying and wishing that the Gods will help us solve or endless problems, lets challenge ourselves and take the bull by its horn. Prayers and believe in the supernatural has flailed us so its time we try something else. something like accountability and fearlessly fighting for what we believe is truly ours.

That is the most baffling part of it all. Most all cases of violence has been Nigerians attacking fellow Nigerians. Seldom against government. June 12th, the Jos riots. . the list goes on. Roflmao!!
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by Nobody: 3:03am On Jan 19, 2009

The article is nothing near useless. We fail to go against the government, what do you expect to be called Victor? And what if the article was written by a Nigerian in Nigeria, would you think about it differently?
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by Nobody: 5:45am On Jan 19, 2009
stillwater:

The article is nothing near useless. We fail to go against the government, what do you expect to be called Victor? And what if the article was written by a Nigerian in Nigeria, would you think about it differently?

Good question.

bindex:

Nigeria is currently where it is because most of the people living in the country reason like the poster above. What a shame.If I remember correctly over 2 million people gathered in Kano state when sharia was launched back in 2001 people came out and killed each other just so that sharia would be implemented, millions of people gather every year for various Christians crusades all over the country blocking major highways and disrupting business buy causing delays and wasting a lot of man hours etc but people can not organize themselves to go and protest or fight for their rights. Its sickening. Nigerians depend too much on the supernatural, which have failed us for the past 49 years we keep on praying and wishing that the Gods will help us solve or endless problems, lets challenge ourselves and take the bull by its horn. Prayers and believe in the supernatural has flailed us so its time we try something else. something like accountability and fearlessly fighting for what we believe is truly ours.

End of discussion.
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by FBS: 9:48am On Jan 19, 2009
No Nigerians are not cowards, fearful maybe.
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by meexteriox(m): 11:30am On Jan 19, 2009
Nigerians are not cowards, Phil or whatever his name is should direct his
self styled frustration at something else.
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by lucabrasi(m): 2:28pm On Jan 19, 2009
bindex:

hmmmn i totally agree with you that nigeria is stuck in its present rut because of comments like mine,but you didnt address the last part of my comment did you,
are you or the article author ready to stand shoulder to shoulder with the average nigeria in protestrs,rallies for change??
its all very well and good campaigning for nigerians to rise up and take the bull by the horns from far away in the western world or outside nigeria, they ll start taking you serious when you are standing in oshodi,ajegunle ghetto,iyana ipaja,ketu e.t.c near the stinky gutters identifying with them, the obama that we r celebrating today did not finish in havard and then start campaigning,
he not only served in various chicago ghettoes as an organiser for many years,he went into many disenfranchised homes and had tea with them,listened to them and identified with them,he went to kenya,to the bushes and identified with them that alone has given him the moral right to stand on a pedestal and rile the people up, which of these has the almighty "dr or professor phil the author of the article done"before concluding that nigerians are lazy?

which of these have our various nairaland contributors from beautiful america and other western world done?ill end my comment with an example, when students and nigerians died(reported about 100 died)during the m.k.o abiola struggle what did abiola say when he got back from the brief exile?he said he didnt send anyone to die for him!check the records,its there, did anyone compensate these who lost bread winners?
or you think nigerians have forgotten the events?
Re: Nigerians Are Born Cowards! by lucabrasi(m): 2:40pm On Jan 19, 2009
@tezaspette
did you even read my comments at all?all im saying is that the phil whatever has not earned the right to call nigerians cowards,simply for the fact that he is in his comfort zone abroad calling for nigerians in nigeria tyo put their head on the line, if he believes so much in the struggle,how come he is not in nigeria standing shoulder to shoulder with these people?in my previous comments,i gave an example of obama who identified with every single thing he stood for way before his intention to go into politics, you might say i am jaded and used to the status quo,but my reply to you will be thanks BUT once bitten twice shy!!!
ill ask you the same question i asked the other dude,have the reported 100 people who died fighting for abiola being compensated by anybody?
didnt abiola's own first born son insult these who died's memories by marrying babangida's daughter?
and you really think nigerians dont have a good memory right?

to show you nigerians are resilient,brave,hardworking and as far from cowards as the eminent mr or dr phil is from nigeria from his base, i listed some of the hardships,which we take for granted a typical nigerian rich or poor,young or old has to go through, fear of armed robbery,no light,no water,zero health care,zero welfare,working under horific conditions,prices of everything sky rocketing,endemic and systematic corruption i could go on, search yourselfs and how much you believe in that struggler and how much you are willing to sacrifice before telling an average nigerian to fight,
if things turn pear shaped you all have your american passports and will just up and leave,while they will be the one suffering the consequences

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian / Nigeria's Biggest Problem: Corruption, Infrastructure, Energy, Or Evil Leaders / How Is Your State Governor Fighting Corruption?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.