Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:38 AM

Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? (36143 Views)

Why Most Marriages Never Exceed 10years / Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... / Reasons Why Most Marriages Fail In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by onadana: 11:13pm On Mar 20, 2015
Your post was presented as if that is the norm.A few divorce by people close to you does not mean it is the trend.People must divorce....people must marry.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by koyyess: 11:15pm On Mar 20, 2015
1.People marry for really ridiculous and selfish reasons. 2.People don't know what marriage is all about. They view it as some kind of societal obligation/competition. A particular radio station threw a question out to listeners on what age a man/woman is to consider getting married. A male caller said for a lady, she should be 28+ and for a guy, he should be 32+ be cause marriage is for mature people. Though I believe age is no guarantee for maturity but I agree with that caller. At those respective ages, both sexes know what they want, they are more exposed, they have a better understanding of what marriage entails, their priorities in life becomes clearer, there's little room for childish games and can handle situations maturely. Statistics also proves that couples who wed 'late' are more likely to have successful marriages compared to others. People should consider these facts. . Divorce rates have nothing to do with western influence or education. I say this because even in those days, old female folks were getting married for up to 4..5 times. The means to promulgate such lifestyle was not there. We have that now and we are pointing fingers at the wrong places. People need to be more analytical in their reasoning.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Mar 20, 2015
Tallesty1:
You wey be best man suppose tell us nahsmiley
Ahneg elp me ask ham oo '` `°•.¸¸.•°``°``°•.¸¸.•°
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Mar 20, 2015
Misogynist2014:
I care less than I write.

Hmmmm

Interesting

But it is too weak

You do care

I have met men like you

I laugh when you talk

I don't even try to argue

Because the only power you would ever hold over someone would be your wife and your daughters

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by DoroPussy: 11:21pm On Mar 20, 2015
On Point !
TheRainmaker1:
There's no ONE reason for the high rates of marriage failure these days. Rather, I believe it's a combination of factors. Lemme briefly address A FEW of these factors:

1. Gender equality and role reversal:

In times past, the roles of men and women were clearly delineated. A husband was expected to be the bread winner, while the wife was to be the submissive homemaker. These days however, a lot of women would rather pursue careers (which I support anyway) and some even have become breadwinners. We haven't yet rewritten the roles, to reflect the new ideas. Hence, families are struggling to cope.

2. Social Media:

A lot of young people would rather advertise their problems on social media than talk through them with their partners. This has led to poor communication in the home. It's no longer unusual to see two or more people in the same room, smiling into their smartphones for hours, and not talking to each other. It's creating a real communication gap.

Also, a lot of people are so hot in pursuit of 'Likes' on Facebook & Instagram and 'Followers' on twitter, etc, that they fail to realise that this doesn't necessarily translate into love in real life.

3.Societal Influence and Religion:

The general (erroneous) belief that once a lady is 25yrs and unmarried, it means she has spiritual problems, has made a lot of women rush into marriage without really getting to know the man they're marrying.

4. The Rat race:
These days, families (especially us younger generation) are getting to spend less and less time together. We spend the greater part of our time at work, chasing money. This doesn't allow for healthy family bonding.

[b]5.Western Influence and Intolerance:
[/b]From Hollywood to Nollywood, it has almost become fashionable to divorce your partner at the first hint of trouble. The general reason is "due to irreconcilable differences". We no longer wish to sit down and address these differences, cos we feel we're being under appreciated by our partners. The grass is always greener on the other side.

There lots of other reasons...I'll just allow other people air their views wink

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Nobody: 11:22pm On Mar 20, 2015
Vickybee:

1. Men are Sexists and Chauvinistic in nature

Most men are sexists and chauvinistic in nature therefore making them selfish and loathe independent women. They make denigrating remarks about women and you don't expect a serious, logical and virtuous woman to remain with such a rètarded being.
Women in other hand, are peace loving and cool but their anti-feminism husband keeps antagonising them and they don't have an option but divorce him.

undecided

If this is your only reason, please do not get married - at least not now.

Instead of getting angry/mad at me, you can ask me why.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by cbrass(m): 11:23pm On Mar 20, 2015
Misogynist2014:
Amen my dear brother. Women type a lot of things out of emotions without considering how logical they are. Mankind has a lot of work to do to curtail them. Gen 3:16 comes to mind. The

Honestly women Are Just.....Well Let's Thank God for them. Am The only Male with 3 sisters And My mum....When They start Like This I Just Have To be very matured And extraordinary ly tolerant.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Karleb(m): 11:25pm On Mar 20, 2015
Vickybee:

Most men are sexists and chauvinistic in nature therefore making them selfish and loathe independent women. They make denigrating remarks about women and you don't expect a serious, logical and virtuous woman to remain with such a rètarded being.
Women in other hand, are peace loving and cool but their anti-feminism husband keeps antagonising them and they don't have an option but divorce him.

undecided

May thunder in anticipation fire the next individual that'll tell me that Feminism is not an anti-man scheme! angry

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by RedBororo(m): 11:26pm On Mar 20, 2015
Many marriage this days are arrangements. A man is ready to marry they get a wife for him
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by cbrass(m): 11:27pm On Mar 20, 2015
Lizabeth25:
Me too is wondering what d Internet is doing to broken homes.

quote author=cbrass post=31836854]

I Still Don't understand How The internet Is part Of it

Yes joh... Have made Some cash And Still making Some cash through The internet So It's a Good thing To Use It. I Just Want To think most couples Didn't Just prepare for This thing Or probably because They lack tolerance for each other
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by komek(m): 11:27pm On Mar 20, 2015
All these let-me-ask-my-pastor kinda of marriages that exists these days are bound to crash under 5yrs.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by cbrass(m): 11:28pm On Mar 20, 2015
Karleb:

May thunder in anticipation fire the next individual that'll tell me that Feminism is not an anti-man scheme! angry

You Don vex o cheesy
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Nobody: 11:28pm On Mar 20, 2015
Hmm, well. So many reasons are responsible as mentioned in many comments. But I'll just like to add dat knowing abt temperaments (with dia strengths and weaknesses, turn up and turnoffs) can really help in relationships of any kind. Many of us think we knw ourselves when we really don't have an inkling about what caused us(and others around us) to transit from childhood into d adulthood personality we now have. It may suprise you that many intellectuals still unconciously believe everybody thinks like them.

However I have discovered over a long time dat knwing abt temperaments helps make an introvert a better person than it does to extroverts.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Misogynist2014(m): 11:29pm On Mar 20, 2015
Justfollowit:

Hmmmm

Interesting

But it is too weak

You do care

I have met men like you

I laugh when you talk

I don't even try to argue

Because the only power you would ever hold over someone would be your wife and your daughters

That is no little power my dear grin. If my wife is the submissive type, I need not assert any masculine power, but if she's the arrogant type, she will be fed up. Trust me.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by koyyess: 11:30pm On Mar 20, 2015
Edusouls:
is very simple, we planted the seeds of lies,dishonesty,mistrust,cheating,joking with each others feelings, and we practices wickedness with joy and commitment, what u sow u reap, we are reaping of harvest brother.
Another truth.
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Misogynist2014(m): 11:33pm On Mar 20, 2015
pussyaddict:
Hmm, well. So many reasons are responsible as mentioned in many comments. But I'll just like to add dat knowing abt temperaments (with dia strengths and weaknesses, turn up and turnoffs) can really help in relationships of any kind. Many of us think we knw ourselves when we really don't have an inkling about what caused us(and others around us) to transit from childhood into d adulthood personality we now have. It may suprise you that many intellectuals still unconciously believe everybody thinks like them.

However I have discovered over a long time dat knwing abt temperaments helps make an introvert a better person than it does to extroverts.
I think the solution to a lot of break ups is a coin. A lot of relationships (now that women are growing in arrogance), partners find it hard to be the first to apologize, maybe a toss of coin is the solution.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by mekybabe1: 11:34pm On Mar 20, 2015
That's because the first five yrs of marriage are the most difficult. Getting to know the true nature of ur spouse, finance issues etc.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by gabicon: 11:34pm On Mar 20, 2015
the misconception of infatuation for love. many think that love is a feeling, (which most times fade away averagely within the first two years of marriage) love is not a feeling its an ACT. we as human beings are subject to certain needs and our survival depends on these needs same goes with marriage each partner has certain needs and unless these needs are met their union no matter how they feel is heading for the rocks. the word action is gotten from act keeping a marriage is taking actions that may or may not be convenient just to please ones spouse. another big problem is the I phenomenon when a marriage is all about one of the partner the other feels left out, to have a successful marriage you have to give up the I's for the us. and finally a lot of nigerians have resorted to worshiping money instead of God there is a statistics that shows that 50% of marital problems are monetary in nature. the only way to learn how to love unconditionally is by loving God unconditionally we like it or not money answereth all things but doesn't redeem most things.

Marriage is no cheap talk its hard work its a wonder how people use 20 years of their life to prepare for a career and 6 months to prepare for a lifetime process (marriage)
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by TV01(m): 11:34pm On Mar 20, 2015
kay29000:
I have noticed that, in recent times, most marriages break up within 5 years. I have been the best man at two weddings in the last 4 years, and those couples are no longer together. Even some of my family members that got married in the last 10 years are no longer together.

Why is the case of divorce and separation so high these days. And if it is not divorce or separation, you read on Nairaland every day how one wife burnt the husband or cut off his manhood, or how a husband beat his wife to death.

Why is this so rampant these days?

Marriage is all about Foundation! Foundation!! Foundation!!!
And - right from courtship - it should be entered into with understanding & foresight.

OP, let me ask you a question; (you have seen a number of marriages close too you crash) You were best man at two weddings that failed to make 5 years. Be honest with us, did you not see that either one or both of the couples involved were not ready or right for marriage? If so, what did you do? If not what business do you have being best man? And even with hindsight you still can't see what wasn't right?

TV

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by PoorUgly(m): 11:41pm On Mar 20, 2015
kay29000:
I have noticed that, in recent times, most marriages break up within 5 years. I have been the best man at two weddings in the last 4 years, and those couples are no longer together. Even some of my family members that got married in the last 10 years are no longer together.

Why is the case of divorce and separation so high these days. And if it is not divorce or separation, you read on Nairaland every day how one wife burnt the husband or cut off his manhood, or how a husband beat his wife to death.

Why is this so rampant these days?

ASK GOOGLE!!!

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Mar 20, 2015
Vickybee:

undecided

Look, if ur father or brothers or any man who raised you was hard and tough on you or you've gone through some kinda of hardlife from men, being a feminist further make you unattractive to caring men.

Some ladies, as a matter of reality have gone through some hardlife that makes dem see men as monsters. If ure 1 of such u should seek God or a psychologist to help u handle d effect of such hardship on you. D problem is not the men. The problem is ur wrong perception of who men are.

Just a piece of advice

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by fatherlyplayer: 11:46pm On Mar 20, 2015
Money:A situation were d wife is gainfully employed N d husband is jobless watch that marriage carefully its is heading to sambisa forest. Some of d ladies of nowadays can not handel d role of a breadwinner with there BIG mouth.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by tellwisdom: 11:52pm On Mar 20, 2015
Dyt:
Tolerance

Not everyone can tolerate cheating/abuse/lies/bad times
Many more

How far..your yansh still big? wink

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Mar 20, 2015
Misogynist2014:
I think the solution to a lot of break ups is a coin. A lot of relationships (now that women are growing in arrogance), partners find it hard to be the first to apologize, maybe a toss of coin is the solution.

Lol. That's true. That's a real point. But d phobia for "he/she'll think I'm a fool or a weakling if I apologize 1st" maybe why ppl aren't adopting d coin method

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Nobody: 11:53pm On Mar 20, 2015
Misogynist2014:
That is no little power my dear grin. If my wife is the submissive type, I need not assert any masculine power, but if she's the arrogant type, she will be fed up. Trust me.

If men can find it difficult to submit to God

Much less a fellow man like themselves

That share most of their vulnerabilities if not all

You are a joker

A woman that would put up with you must have self-esteem issues

No woman, who know her worth, who she really is, who came from a normal family,who is independent and whose mere sneeze commands respect would put up with a man like you

A woman should be submissive but not according to your definition

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Karleb(m): 11:57pm On Mar 20, 2015
cbrass:

You Don vex o cheesy

Egbon, I dey vex! angry

Imagine some ladies telling me last week that Feminism is this, it's that and so on. What is there monicker sef.

Now see that fungus infested fellow yarning nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by efonat(m): 12:03am On Mar 21, 2015
Didn't they (women) see that before courting? Or they were carried away by material things leaving out what they should have observed in d man?
Dyt:
Tolerance

Not everyone can tolerate cheating/abuse/lies/bad times
Many more

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by efonat(m): 12:09am On Mar 21, 2015
My advise to men is to look out for this kind of women. They re destructive. I wonder what churches this days preach on marriage. I bet u guys if u re ready, u better start attending a living church and leave all this Americana churches. They preach chaff, derail people and take their money. same advise goes to the women.
Justfollowit:

You are a joker

No woman, who know her worth, who she really is, who came from a normal family,who is independent and whose mere sneeze commands respect would put up with a man like you

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by nkemdi89(f): 12:12am On Mar 21, 2015
A friend of mine marriage barely survived five months because of failure from the husband to replace her Iphone 5 that got stolen on their wedding day.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Misogynist2014(m): 12:15am On Mar 21, 2015
Justfollowit:

You are a joker

Maybe its your perception of me that make you see my view point as master and slave, I definitely don't want a dummy as wife, neither will I ever marry your so called 'independent' wife. My wife must be dependent on me, not necessarily think as I think, but her thinking must be convergent with mine. Every man wants a sense of ownership, a sense of possesiveness. That's all I ask for and that is what and who MY wife must be.

P.S. Why do women tag financial oppulence as 'independence'? How do they correlate?

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by hensben(m): 12:17am On Mar 21, 2015
Vickybee:

undecided
Shey u don start undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by efonat(m): 12:22am On Mar 21, 2015
Its simple ladies want to marry a rich dude while men want to marry an azonto babe. Not minding character. undecided

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ever Lost Someone As Dear As Family? Come Light A Candle For Them Here / Living With My Parents Is Putting Me At A Disadvantage / Nairaland Christmas Giveaway by Twaci(2019 Edition)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.