Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,674 members, 7,823,909 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? (36214 Views)

Why Most Marriages Never Exceed 10years / Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... / Reasons Why Most Marriages Fail In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by yomanovic: 7:39am On Mar 21, 2015
Tallesty1:
You wey be best man suppose tell us nahsmiley

Stupid and senseless post! The fact say hin be best man mean say hin dey help dem run dem marriage? Isn't the breakup issue a societal problem?
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by KanwuliaJara: 7:40am On Mar 21, 2015
Is that why MANY NL couples have disappeared BEHIND THE SCENES? lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by blakky97(m): 7:44am On Mar 21, 2015
TheRainmaker1:
There's no ONE reason for the high rates of marriage failure these days. Rather, I believe it's a combination of factors. Lemme briefly address A FEW of these factors:

1. Gender equality and role reversal:

In times past, the roles of men and women were clearly delineated. A husband was expected to be the bread winner, while the wife was to be the submissive homemaker. These days however, a lot of women would rather pursue careers (which I support anyway) and some even have become breadwinners. We haven't yet rewritten the roles, to reflect the new ideas. Hence, families are struggling to cope.

2. Social Media:

A lot of young people would rather advertise their problems on social media than talk through them with their partners. This has led to poor communication in the home. It's no longer unusual to see two or more people in the same room, smiling into their smartphones for hours, and not talking to each other. It's creating a real communication gap.

Also, a lot of people are so hot in pursuit of 'Likes' on Facebook & Instagram and 'Followers' on twitter, etc, that they fail to realise that this doesn't necessarily translate into love in real life.

3.Societal Influence and Religion:

The general (erroneous) belief that once a lady is 25yrs and unmarried, it means she has spiritual problems, has made a lot of women rush into marriage without really getting to know the man they're marrying.

4. The Rat race:
These days, families (especially us younger generation) are getting to spend less and less time together. We spend the greater part of our time at work, chasing money. This doesn't allow for healthy family bonding.

[b]5.Western Influence and Intolerance:
[/b]From Hollywood to Nollywood, it has almost become fashionable to divorce your partner at the first hint of trouble. The general reason is "due to irreconcilable differences". We no longer wish to sit down and address these differences, cos we feel we're being under appreciated by our partners. The grass is always greener on the other side.

There lots of other reasons...I'll just allow other people air their views wink
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by blakky97(m): 7:47am On Mar 21, 2015
Vickybee:

1. Men are Sexists and Chauvinistic in nature

Most men are sexists and chauvinistic in nature therefore making them selfish and loathe independent women. They make denigrating remarks about women and you don't expect a serious, logical and virtuous woman to remain with such a rètarded being.
Women in other hand, are peace loving and cool but their anti-feminism husband keeps antagonising them and they don't have an option but divorce him.

undecided

Thunder fire each and every guy that quoted me on this thread.
Y'all didn't see that the first point raised by dude above me is anti-feminism/woman but choose to attack me for airing mine.

Bunch of hypocrites.
stfu dame

drink some water and rest your back on a flat surface
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by onegig(m): 7:49am On Mar 21, 2015
Vickybee:

Most men are sexists and chauvinistic in nature therefore making them selfish and loathe independent women. They make denigrating remarks about women and you don't expect a serious, logical and virtuous woman to remain with such a rètarded being.
Women in other hand, are peace loving and cool but their anti-feminism husband keeps antagonising them and they don't have an option but divorce him.

undecided

Y'all didn't see that the first point raised by dude above me is anti-feminism/woman but choose to attack me for airing mine.

Bunch of hypocrites.
You would do well to point out which part of the post is antiwomen.

So feminism is the new singsong in town that you girls just bandy around without an inkling of what it even means.

I guess that feminism also taught you to be uncouth and use gutter languages when passìng your message across?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by love2nicee: 7:50am On Mar 21, 2015
Only God can make a marriage work plus the effort of both partners to be committed to each other and love each other unconditionally. If you understand true love and love for self, you will not hurt another. Most Nigeria couple don't understand what love is before they go into marriage they are just carried away by the excitment of being married
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Edusouls(m): 7:50am On Mar 21, 2015
nowdays women are disaster..
CaptainAmerica1:
Our women nowadays are manner less angry angry They are too materialistic!

Gone are the days when women were respectful. During the time of our mothers.

I don't want to say more
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by pwettyhardey(f): 7:53am On Mar 21, 2015
Because people don't marry d prsn they understand. When u love someone u must try n understand d prsn.
With that no break up.
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Edusouls(m): 8:05am On Mar 21, 2015
all these long talks and ideas, the main reason is that the society as a whole has badly detirioriated...values are dead, good behaviour is seen as weakness,materialism is the other of the day, life of pretence, liees,dishonesty, wickedness is practiced with commitment and joy, greeed, fake lifestyle, ego and pride, the law of karma spares no one, it pays payback in full without sentiments..

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by bukatyne(f): 8:07am On Mar 21, 2015
uncjay:
from a feminist perspectives.....all that could comes out is an attack at the male folks painting them blue black as if they were evil creatures.... Your scale lacks balancing as you are one sided regarding the issue on ground. I'm not here to defend the male folks because both are contributing to the nemesis, at the same time castigates your type who sees men as the solely factor that brings about crashes in marriage and other evil scenario.....check it.

Check most of the posts, they are not balanced either.
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by bukatyne(f): 8:08am On Mar 21, 2015
Justfollowit:

You and women ehn

You must be very miserable

I wish you knew me then

Lols
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by bukatyne(f): 8:13am On Mar 21, 2015
nkemdi89:
A friend of mine marriage barely survived five months because of failure from the husband to replace her Iphone 5 that got stolen on their wedding day.

That your friend na joke

The husband is better off without her.
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Caleycash(m): 8:22am On Mar 21, 2015
Vickybee:

undecided

Bunch of hypocrites.
I Dodge the thunder first...eh u talk true sister.but no be our fault oo,na nature make am so,and I believe no be all of us like am.but wetin we go do?!
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Nobody: 8:24am On Mar 21, 2015
Vickybee:

undecided

Bunch of hypocrites.

So men are now the cause of broken homes¿
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by bukatyne(f): 8:30am On Mar 21, 2015
onegig:

You would do well to point out which part of the post is antiwomen.

So feminism is the new singsong in town that you girls just bandy around without an inkling of what it even means.

I guess that feminism also taught you to be uncouth and use gutter languages when passìng your message across?

@Your first line,

Let's not go there

Read the whole thread and see who most of posters blame.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Wendy80(f): 8:34am On Mar 21, 2015
onegig
I completely agree with ur points especially N01. Imagine where a married woman on Nairaland post a picture just to show how big her Azz is justo get likes and enjoys guys drooling over it. And she takes 'Ur Azz is big, ur Azz is d bomb, I wanto feel that Azz etc' as compliment. What happen to 'Ur comments are intelligent.
SMH for some married women

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by onegig(m): 8:40am On Mar 21, 2015
bukatyne:

@Your first line,

Let's not go there

Read the whole thread and see who most of posters blame.

And what's wrong with this.?

Social media: Most partners have not learnt to use
social media properly. You see an average married woman posting revealing pictures online just to crave the attention of the male folks. You would see comments like: "your as.s is big, that bo.obs is sumptuous" and all sort of rubbish that her admirers would be posting. No sane man would see this and
still admire you except you are his mistress.
Moderation is key and people need to watch it.

I am not "most posters", I am only responsible for my own thoughts. I was balanced and pointed the errors of both male and female cos I believe It takes two to tango.
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by onegig(m): 8:50am On Mar 21, 2015
Wendy80:
onegig
I completely agree with ur points especially N01. Imagine where a married woman on Nairaland post a picture just to show how big her Azz is justo get likes and enjoys guys drooling over it. And she takes 'Ur Azz is big, ur Azz is d bomb, I wanto feel that Azz etc' as compliment. What happen to 'Ur comments are intelligent.
SMH for some married women

Thanks jare.

Most don't know the limit to things. No one says you shouldn't be seen, but there's what they call self respect. If your ability to post half naked pictures as a married woman and the attention you get from it is what makes you feel like you are "independent and empowered", then I don't know what kind of married woman you are.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Nobody: 8:51am On Mar 21, 2015
Misogynist2014:
Can two walk together unless they agree? I think it is more about communication and appreciation. Maybe if women reference (are humble and obedient) to men that do the dirty jobs at home, maybe chores that look unmanly can even be a source of fun to the man, fun which he will live to relish for ages.

Why do you think what a man does in his own home defines whether he is a man or not?
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Nobody: 8:51am On Mar 21, 2015
Zikkie:

Intelligent!

Thanks
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by smartigo: 8:51am On Mar 21, 2015
KanwuliaJara:
Is that why MANY NL couples have disappeared BEHIND THE SCENES? lipsrsealed
shocked shocked Nothing to munch on again. grin grin.
How are u? It's been awhile.
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Dragonking: 8:53am On Mar 21, 2015
lrguru:
personally I was shocked to see such comin from a lady, it shows lack of home training and illiteracy. How can a sane person use such word on a forum like this knowin fully well there are intellectuals here and cos of her rare privilege of havin access to the internet makes her feel she has the right to open her guts anyhow. I only pray her situation improves, cos any man who marries the one is headed for destruction in 365 days

don't be surprised because they are many of them like her on this forum...they talk senselessly, mannerless and are very abusive. maybe that's their own definition of feminism.
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by bukatyne(f): 8:57am On Mar 21, 2015
onegig:

And what's wrong with this.?

I am not "most posters", I am only responsible for my own thoughts and I was well balanced and pointed the errors of both male and female cos I believe It takes two to tango.

I did not say you were not balanced neither am I holding you responsible for the thoughts of others. I know How annoying. it can be.

I said most posters are not balanced and If you want to tackle her, do same for others too.

She is not the only one balancing the opposite gender solely.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Nobody: 9:12am On Mar 21, 2015
You are speaking out of tune. Internet n making cash? How old are u? If u are not above. 25, I don't think you have a say in this matter!

Yes, "Tolerance is the only sense making comment I could pick from everything you've been saying!

And if you don't have the spirit of patience,i dont think you can tolerate!

cbrass:

Yes joh... Have made Some cash And Still making Some cash through The internet So It's a Good thing To Use It. I Just Want To think most couples Didn't Just prepare for This thing Or probably because They lack tolerance for each other
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by onegig(m): 9:22am On Mar 21, 2015
bukatyne:

I did not say you were not balanced neither am I holding you responsible for the thoughts of others. I know How annoying. it can be.

I said most posters are not balanced and If you want to tackle her, do same for others too.

She is not the only one balancing the opposite gender solely.

Bukatyne. We all know what Nairaland is. You always know those "posts" would come. I learn to ignore them and don't go on poiting fingers at everyone as long as you don't direct your BS at me.

Why i responded to only her was because she directly alleged that I was chauvinistic and I had to ask her to point exactly where or how I did that.

Not responsible for others railroading her and calling her out on the same ish .cheesy

If she's ready to make wrong assertions then she should learn to fight her "wars" with the attendant trolls.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Nobody: 9:27am On Mar 21, 2015
Vickybee:

undecided

Bunch of hypocrites.

I like you, very much. I am only responding because there is no rain, so I am safe from "thunder-firing".

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by bukatyne(f): 9:45am On Mar 21, 2015
onegig:

Bukatyne. We all know what Nairaland is. You always know those "posts" would come. I learn to ignore them and don't go on poiting fingers at everyone as long as you don't direct your BS at me.

Why i responded to only her was because she directly alleged that I was chauvinistic and I had to ask her to point exactly where or how I did that.

Not responsible for others railroading her and calling her out on the same ish .cheesy

If she's ready to make wrong assertions then she should learn to fight her "wars" with the attendant trolls.

She called you chauvinistic?

My apologies.

I thought you picked on her generally.

It is all good

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Trustworthiness: 9:47am On Mar 21, 2015
Vickybee:

undecided

[s]Thunder fire each and every guy that quoted me on this thread[/s]. Back to Sender

Bunch of hypocrites.

This is one of the reason marriages fall apart. When people are trying to explain reason for marriages been falling apart, the only thing this person can see is that those that made the comments above her comments are males. So the are biased in their thinking. Definitely, if this lady get married, the marriage will fall apart except if she change her mentality.

Now to my own contribution:

In addition to what TheRainmaker1 and onegig have rightly said, most people go into marriage not understanding what actually marriage is all about.

Firstly, you need to now what you really want out of marriage, and the partner that will be best for that your interest. And yours partner in return must have have the same interest in what to want. In other words, the topmost interest of the two person that want to get married must be the same. Hence, compatibility is of great importance in marriage.

There are 4 main things people looked for in the person they want to choose as their spouse.
1. Beauty,
2. Wealth,
3. Position, and
4. Culture / Religion.

Beauty: Beauty is relative. To every person, what make a woman beautiful or a man handsome differs. Critera such as color of the skin, height, fat or slim etc are been of consediration to different people. But this can not make a marriage to last long as beauty fails in the eye of the beholder with time.

Wealth: Wealth is what some people look for their would-be wife or husband. Is the man or woman rich? Are the parent(s) of the would-be wife or husband rich if the man or woman is yet to be? As man or woman expecting the parent to support them or they will inherit wealth after the demise of the parent(s). This as well does not make marriage last. These category of persons would have blinded their eyes against other important things that will give the marriage a happy home. After the duo have gotting married, that is when the man or the woman will realise that he or she want more things that are very important and the partner is lacking seriously.

Position: Some people cares only about the position of the would-be partner or the parent of the would-be partner in the society. That is why some women will go to any length to get married to a king, even if the king has 20 wives, just to be call a queen and be respected in the society. Later, they will discover that the king usually don't have time for them whenever they needed him sex or just to have husband and wife discussion. Likewise, women working in offices. It is even worse, if the woman have risen to a top position as manager of a bank or other establishment. Meetings all the way, no time for the house as she have to be always meet up with the work of the office.

Culture / Religion: Culture and Religion to ma are the same. This is what mode or makes an individual. There are divine and non-divine cultures.
Devine cultures are moded or guided through revelations from God almighty (Jehovah by Christians or Allah by Muslims). These are supported by scriptures sent down to mankind by God through His Prophets and Messengers. These scriptures states the commandments of God to mankind on how man will relate to God and how man will relate to one another for mankind to live in peace between them and God and within themselves.

Non-divine cultures are cultures that emanates from mans thought and how things should be. In this case, given consideration to any Superior Being through any form of revelation, be it Bible or Quran or Torah, is of less important. A lots of us falls into this category even though we claim to be either a christian or a muslim. When we want to make any decision in life, what the Bible or the Quran says is of no importance. Hence, we are been hypocritical about the religion/culture we are claiming to be.

The only thing that can help us to have a good and lasting marriage is the divine cultures. It is the only way of life (Culture) that can guaranty use a happy marriage if we will be sincere in following it and not be appearings as Men of God but in us worst that Satan.

In conclusion, we all have to go back to our creator (Jehovah or Allah) to seek guidiance on how to live the best way of life with God almighty and with ourselves. Then will be learn how to be a good husband/father and a good wife/mother.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Misogynist2014(m): 9:57am On Mar 21, 2015
Justfollowit:

Why do you think what a man does in his own home defines whether he is a man or not?
What do you think defines him?
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by Nobody: 10:09am On Mar 21, 2015
Misogynist2014:
What do you think defines him?
I don't know

You are the man

You tell me

But I will not use something that petty to describe a man
Re: Why Do Most Marriages Breakup Within 5 Years These Days? by kay29000(m): 10:17am On Mar 21, 2015
drlawizle:

Its simply because people are not real with themselves during courtship.....and also because women are abusing their empowerment.

Hmm! Yea, I strongly agree with the first part of your statement. There are so many ladies that are desperate to get married these days because of family pressure, and they would take a lot of sh1t, but when they finally get married, they feel they can't go on taking the sh1t, and things get ugly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Dad Pretends To Be Another Person To Find Out If His Daughter Has A Boyfriend / If You Are In Your Twenties, Read This. / I’ve Been Stripped Unclad – Mother Of Twins Killed By Drunken-Cop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.