Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,189 members, 7,818,615 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:52 PM

Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) (2075 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan Commissions 2nd Nkpogu Bridge With Wike (pics) / Mixed Fortunes As Electricity Generation Hits 4,068MW / Nigeria Hits 5,000MW Power Generation Mark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by xrisdon(m): 9:17pm On Mar 25, 2015
Energy supply in the country yesterday received a boost with the commissioning of Phase 1 of the Alaoji Poweŕ Plant located at Umuobasi Ukwu in Aba, Abia State, by President Goodluck Jonathan.

With the commissioning of the 504.4 First Phase of the 1,074 megawatts combined cycle Alaoji Power Plant, the total energy available in Nigeria now stands at 5, 500 megawatts.

Power from the plant would be evacuated to the national grid through Alaoji-Owerri-Nnewi-Onitsha power lines as well as the Alaoji-Ikot Ekpene 330 KV double circuit lines currently under construction.

Similarly, power from the Alaoji plant wouldalso be evacuated through the new Ikot Ekpene sub-station to Ikot Abasi in Akwa Ibom State, as well as Ugwuaji power station in Enugu to Benue and Plateau states.

Commissioning the plant, which holds the prospects for improved power supply to the commercial city of Aba, President Jonathan expressed optimism that it would boost industrial and economic activities in the South-East and adjoining states.Jonathan, who described power as key to the development of the economy, was full of joy that the project, almost truncated by an adverse report from the National Assembly, has come on stream. He assured that the second phase would soon be completed.

The President said the NASS report was rather critical that he personally embarked on a fact-finding tour of the project as Vice President, only to discover that facts on ground were in sharp contrast with the report.An elated Abia State Governor, Chief Theodore Orji, heaped praises on Jonathanfor according the project the priority it deserved, adding that its realisation would fast- track industrial revolution in the South-East zone.

The governor also commended the federal government for assisting tremendously in eradicating kidnapping, which almost stalled the project when insecurity pervaded Abia.

Addressing the audience, Minister of Power, Professor Onyebuchi Nebo, noted that Jonathan’s exploits in the power sector remained unprecedented since the history of Nigeria.

He pointed out that four of the 10 National Integrated Power Projects awarded since 2005 have already been completed and inaugurated by Mr. President. Nebo promised that the remaining six NIPP projects would be realised before the end of the year.

The minister explained that the Jonathan administration inherited about 3,000 megawatts of electricity, which it has increased to 5,500 megawatts in its effortsto improve electricity supply in the country. He said that, in addition, 300 rural electricity projects executed by the Rural Electrification Agency nationwide were ready for inauguration.

Managing Director of the Niger Delta Power Holding Company, builders of Alaoji plant, Mr. James Olotu, commended the President for giving indigenous engineers the opportunity to showcase their engineering prowess in handling the project.

President Jonathan also visited a private power plant sited in Aba and owned by a immediate past Minister of Power, Professor Barth Nnaji, and expressed satisfaction with the level of work already done.

Coordinating Minister of the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, National Chairman of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Adamu Muazu, and immediate past governor of Anambra State, Mr. Peter Obi, were among dignitaries in the President’s entourage.

http://newsexpressngr.com/news/detail.php?news=10313&title=Electricity-generation-hits-5,500-megwatts-as-Jonathan-commissions-Alaoji-(Aba)-Power-Plant

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by 42n8dzydoo(m): 9:18pm On Mar 25, 2015
That's on paper jor

6 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by WisdomFlakes: 9:22pm On Mar 25, 2015
Upon say the megawatts dey so-called 'increase' still no 'light'. Scam transformation. *hiss*

4 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by xrisdon(m): 9:27pm On Mar 25, 2015
42n8dzydoo:
That's on paper jor

if its negative news about Gej's administration,
will you be saying the same thing

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by 42n8dzydoo(m): 9:29pm On Mar 25, 2015
xrisdon:

if its negative news about Gej's administration,
will you be saying the same thing
No, because those ones manifest!

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by xrisdon(m): 9:39pm On Mar 25, 2015
42n8dzydoo:

No, because those ones manifest!

Lol,
the president is actually doing a nice job!
we should commend him for that.

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by phlemzy: 9:48pm On Mar 25, 2015
Fresh Air is loading!!!! All these power generated in prints will soon be a thing of the past. We have endured the lies for too long!

5 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by hazvat(f): 9:53pm On Mar 25, 2015
Mega scam not megawatts. Keep deceiving yourself!

4 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by Ahmed0336(m): 9:57pm On Mar 25, 2015
for paper abi? my area never see light for over two weeks now

4 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by otokx(m): 10:02pm On Mar 25, 2015
Ahmed0336:

Your own is good; come to PH and see how darkness is smilling on us.

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by Ahmed0336(m): 10:08pm On Mar 25, 2015
otokx:

Guy, from december to febuary we ve been enjoying 22hr of electricity daily but as we enter march nna men I givvveeeee up

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by xrisdon(m): 10:09pm On Mar 25, 2015
Ahmed0336:

there's no light in your area doesn't make it to be untrue.

remember your area is just a small part of your town; your town a small part of your state, and your state a small part of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by gen2briz(m): 10:12pm On Mar 25, 2015
Se them add omotosho own join.
Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by Nobody: 10:18pm On Mar 25, 2015
Everything is in the pipeline coming, Nigerians should be patience- Desiani Alison Maduekwe
Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by dagbokoncept(m): 10:24pm On Mar 25, 2015
Illiterates have taken over nairaland, they are so daft to the extent that they can't differentiate between power generation and distribution . Power distribution is even a more difficult task than generation and also gas is needed to power turbines which is not readily available in substantial quantity. All this am very optimistic that Buhari never hear am before and he dey shout change. Nigerians shine your eyes , our wahala no need change, so support transformation. Gej till 2019!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by abacrested(f): 10:34pm On Mar 25, 2015
42n8dzydoo:
That's on paper jor
too much of everything is very bad,
Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by xrisdon(m): 10:36pm On Mar 25, 2015
dagbokoncept:
Illiterates have taken over nairaland, they are so daft to the extent that they can't differentiate between power generation and distribution . Power distribution is even a more difficult task than generation and also gas is needed to power turbines which is not readily available in substantial quantity. All this am very optimistic that Buhari never hear am before and he dey shout change. Nigerians shine your eyes , our wahala no need change, so support transformation. Gej till 2019!

Tell them more,

they thought that if buhari comes and shout
change!
change!!
every thing will start changing.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by xrisdon(m): 10:50pm On Mar 25, 2015
hazvat:
Mega scam not megawatts. Keep deceiving yourself!

what makes it to be a scam?

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by egift(m): 10:52pm On Mar 25, 2015
On paper grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Capacity that does not reflect on the light in my house is useless. I will not be surprise if on election day we hear it is now 10,000 mw.
Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by egift(m): 10:54pm On Mar 25, 2015
Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by Rossikk(m): 10:59pm On Mar 25, 2015
egift:

Capacity that does not reflect on the light in my house is useless.
Mr Self-centered. You are only 1 out of 170 million people.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by gentlesinna(m): 11:04pm On Mar 25, 2015
All hail Mr president, nyc one man. Haters should kiss our aass
Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by xrisdon(m): 11:06pm On Mar 25, 2015
egift:

Capacity that does not reflect on the light in my house is useless. I will not be surprise if on election day we hear it is now 10,000 mw.

anything that will make you feel good cry

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by Rose2014: 11:07pm On Mar 25, 2015
post=31990337:
Initially i supported APC but carefully looked at their way of life i discover that they are old thieves trying to wear new clothes i decamped to PDP at least i know what they have done afterall Northerners have ruled for more than 30 yrs including Buhari but nothing drastically changed
Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by egift(m): 11:25pm On Mar 25, 2015
Rossikk:
Mr Self-centered. You are only 1 out of 170 million people.

That I want electricity getting to my residence should not be too much to ask. When I see reduction in fuel consumption and all the generator noise around me stopping, I will know that it has increased. It is not good I only have to read it on newspaper.
Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by Nobody: 11:31pm On Mar 25, 2015
dagbokoncept:

Abeg leave that generation vs distribution grammar jare. Understanding either of them does not change the fact on ground. Your master promised to give people light , how he does that is entirely his business; thats why he was voted. Besides, even Mr clueless admits he is incapable of generating even 1/5 of the Megawatts he promised Nigerians in 2011 which is the "simplest task" according to you. If he's incapable of this, how do we expect him to implement the "rigorous" process of power distribution? Gej govt is simply an epitome of ineptness.
Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by Dmano: 11:36pm On Mar 25, 2015
Some ppls are foolish 2 d extend once d hear of capacity generation d belief light should enter thier house even those with mo wire in their house wil stil shout where is light

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by Abagworo(m): 11:37pm On Mar 25, 2015
otokx:

I toured Aba, Enugu and Owerri and I guess the poor power supply is not peculiar to Port Harcourt. The rural areas seem to enjoy better power though.
Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by dagbokoncept(m): 11:40pm On Mar 25, 2015
Maple:

Abeg leave that generation vs distribution grammar jare. Understanding either of them does not change the fact on ground. Your master promised to give people light , how he does that is entirely his business; thats why he was voted. Besides, even Mr clueless admits he is incapable of generating even 1/5 of the Megawatts he promised Nigerians in 2011 which is the "simplest task" according to you. If he's incapable of this, how do we expect him to implement the "rigorous" process of power distribution? Gej govt is simply an epitome of ineptness.
You have to understand the difference between magic and miracle. Miracle doesn't come as fast as we opt for but its permanent while magic do come quick and disappear within a twinkle of eye. Gej is biulding solid foundations and same time correcting the woes of past administrations. Tell me when last did any administration biuld power plants and injection substations? It is a gradual process, some of the completed power peojects are working. In kano and kaduna power supply hardly goes off. Gej is not a magician that will provide power within a twinkle, it takes time and soon it will reach larger area .

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by xrisdon(m): 11:44pm On Mar 25, 2015
Dmano:
Some ppls are foolish 2 d extend once d hear of capacity generation d belief light should enter thier house even those with mo wire in their house wil stil shout where is light

thats the mentality of some people,
so pathetic.
Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by xrisdon(m): 11:46pm On Mar 25, 2015
Dmano:

thats the mentality of some people,
so pathetic
Re: Electricity Generation Hits 5,500 Megwatts As Jonathan Commissions Alaoji (aba) by xrisdon(m): 11:56pm On Mar 25, 2015
gentlesinna:
All hail Mr president, nyc one man. Haters should kiss our aass

cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

God Will Punish Afonja For Giving Ilorin To Marauders / Pictures Of Jonathan's Guards That Assaulted Punch Reporter / [PHOTOS] 7 Powerful Nigerians EFCC Has Gone After Since Buhari Came To Power

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.