Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? (14244 Views)

Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? / Nigerian Ghetto Names / Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by Kunbee: 3:14am On Oct 14, 2009
Its very disgusting dats y i hate BET
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by blackspade(m): 12:10am On Oct 17, 2009
oyinda.:

well, who are you to complain about how many syllables are in their names when you are nigerian and god knows how long your name is.

oyinda.:
so everything really is subjective. some things that make sense to them doesn't make sense to us and vice versa. our names will sound primitive to them while their names will sound ghetto to us. it's all really how we have been socially conditioned to think.

for example, when i came to the US, I didn't see anything wrong with AA names. In fact, I liked some of them. but after years of conditioning and realizing the status of AA in america, my perception changed and now I will laugh with friends about how foolish sounding Latisha or Imani is when at first, I found it nicer sounding than Jane or Amy.
same with country music. I liked it until I realized it was "white people" music that I shouldn't be listening to as a black person.
so it really is all social conditioning. and what keeps racism and discrimination alive.

companies for example are more likely to pick a resume with a white sounding name than a immigrant or AA sounding one. even if all the credentials are the exact same. A study was done on this.

I get your point, but I think it would be much harder for someone named Tequan to get a job, as opposed to someone named Uzochi. . . wink
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by Radiant(f): 2:51am On Oct 17, 2009
Rofl. . . Tiffy, is that you? shocked grin
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by oyinda3(f): 5:08am On Oct 17, 2009
blackspade:

I get your point, but I think it would be much harder for someone named Tequan to get a job, as opposed to someone named Uzochi. . . wink

i think it's very base of us to start competing with AA for second to last place.
I don't see anything wrong with Tequan as a name. no different for me than Cody or Ronaldo or Uzochi.

I'm sure if AAs had the upper hand in this country, white names will be the castigated ones. lol   so there is really nothing wrong with the names. just US social class system

and also, if all AAs started naming their kids michael, cody and typical white names, there will be a name "white flight" where the whites will change their names to something else to separate themselves from the AAs. the AAs will still lose the job in that situation.

so i think it's deeper than the way we just like to laugh at it.

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Sep 19, 2011
the ONLY thing wrong with those names is the child might have it hard in terms of "white collar" employment.

that's the ONLY thing wrong with those names.

blackspade:

that is DEFINITELY not true. both men would have it equally hard to get the position at least here in the states. the only thing that would save either one would be their resume/credentials as it would be obvious both names are ethnic - black.
Re: What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? by Kimmo(f): 1:33am On Aug 02, 2014
Reading your posts tonight, made me scared for the Tgirl from Liberia. I felt very sorry for her as she was so out of her league, it was a distant dot to her.
Mo gbe'di fun yin ma. Eyin tun le gaaan!
Remind me never to get on your wrong side.
I like your Nigerian spirit, KarmaMod.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 / Ivory Coast Got Some Good Music / History Of Ebira People: Outspoken, Talented And Hardworking People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.