Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? (23348 Views)

Sick Musa Under The Town Planning Bridge Linking Ilupeju To Anthony Village / Italian Based Nigerian Stranded In The Village As Ladies Refuse To Marry Him / For Ladies Who Grew Up In The Village. Did You Do This (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by priscaoge(f): 8:48pm On Apr 04, 2015
Village naaa angry Asi na aku ruo ulo, amara onye kpatara ya wink

In case there is any crises in d City,piiiiiaaam I will disappear to my Villa sharperly. Charity they said begins at home. Some dudes in Lagos get highlander Jeep,Camery and all that yet they are tenants n don't even have a block in d village,and I ask,where is there root bikonu? angry angry angry angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by mrborntodoit: 8:48pm On Apr 04, 2015
Depends on where I'm based .

Villa : if I'm a village based.

City: if I'm based in the city,with the high rate on rents,I will build flats,occupy one with my family and rent other flats out,with the money made from rent and my hard earned cash from my normal income,I will then build a master piece in the village grin
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by mytime24(f): 8:48pm On Apr 04, 2015
City shld cme 1st
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by aliumik: 8:49pm On Apr 04, 2015
my first house is on d way and it is going to b where I live,that is Abuja city.

1 Like

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Apr 04, 2015
priscaoge:
Villa
my igbo sister

That's how we roll grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by WebSurfer(m): 8:51pm On Apr 04, 2015
ogawisdom:
If u reside in ur state of origin then city first b4 village else village first b4 city or better still if u reside outside ur state acquire a land in ur state capital n build first b4 building in ur village
exactly what i did. but am thinking another states first before finally village, still have very much time for all that
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by gistmelove(m): 8:51pm On Apr 04, 2015
Ok

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Rajjah(f): 8:52pm On Apr 04, 2015
My village nah cos thats where My origin is
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by victorazy(m): 8:54pm On Apr 04, 2015
Mc4larin:

But if war or battle engulfed in the city, what will be ur refuge?

How many war don engulfed in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Ibime(m): 8:54pm On Apr 04, 2015
A house is an investment.

Why build in the Village where you get no return on your investment while paying rent in the City?

Few years ago, a friend and I made contrasting investment decisions.

I decided to buy in the UK, he decided to build 6 flats in Lagos.

I asked him for his yearly return - It was N2.4m (N400k per flat).

My return was N1.2m (after paying mortgage payments).

However consider he had 5 times more capital than me for only double the return.

He wanted to form big man back home building 6 flats when he had no property in UK.

Who do you think made the best decision?

If you have money to build, always build in the City first.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Apr 04, 2015
For some of us it's not simple to define city or village.

I was born and grew up in Ibadan. My Grandfather, the first Health Inspector of the old Western States moved to Ibadan in the early 1900s and settled and built a house there. We were originally from Ijebu Ode, at least my father was born and schooled there.

My Wife is from Ibadan also.

So tell me, where is my city and where is my village?

OP, build your house where it makes economic sense for your individual situation. Don't be moved by emotional stimulus.

I am building my house in Ibadan as it makes economic sense for me. As much as I hate Lagos I would even build there for economic reasons before thinking if Ijebu Ode.

PS: What racial war?

If you're thinking of racial war then keep your money in a bank and set up your family in a non war zone, if it exists at all in Nigeria. You think Boko or Delta folks can't travel to get you in your village?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by erico2k2(m): 8:56pm On Apr 04, 2015
Mine was in the City
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by priscaoge(f): 8:56pm On Apr 04, 2015
Jennimma:

my igbo sister

That's how we roll grin

Nwa na so e suppose be. Charity begins at home.

1 Like

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by M4gunners: 8:56pm On Apr 04, 2015
Village Village Village
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Apr 04, 2015
Ibime:
A house is an investment.

Why build in the Village where you get no return on your investment, while paying rent in the City?

Few years ago, a friend and I made contrasting investment decisions.

I decided to buy in the UK, he decided to build 6 flats in Lagos.

I asked him for his yearly return - It was £2.4m (N400k per flat).

My return was £1.2m (after paying mortgage payments).

However consider he had 5 times more capital than me for only double the return.

He wanted to form big man back home building 6 flats when he had no property in UK.

Who do you think made the best decision?

If you have money to build, always build in the City first.

This is an outlandish apple to oranges comparison.

2 Likes

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by bukatyne(f): 9:00pm On Apr 04, 2015
Depends largely on your tribe

As a Yoruba lady, first in the city where We live.
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by femi4: 9:01pm On Apr 04, 2015
kissSpace
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by CzarChris(m): 9:04pm On Apr 04, 2015
Well, I built my first house in the village, home front first is my motto. cool We igbos have learnt alot since the civil war.

5 Likes

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Ibime(m): 9:04pm On Apr 04, 2015
CityNG:

This is an outlandish apple to oranges comparison.

It's the same principle. Always go for what produces the best return.

Why the hell would anyone build a house in the village where he visits twice a year before building where he lives?

2 Likes

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Futureleader201(m): 9:10pm On Apr 04, 2015
If your father have a house in village, you need not to build house in village first since there's a place for you to stay in the village. Building house in the city should be your first option so that you will stop paying house rent but if you're staying in North and you not from there. Never try build house there because when riot start, your house will be among the first ones to be burn down.

5 Likes

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Apr 04, 2015
I think it depends on a lot of factors.

For me, I'm having my first in the city where I work and live.

Considering the ever rising costs of rent, it makes sense to me that my first house be built in the city.
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by chigoizie7(m): 9:14pm On Apr 04, 2015
Wetin concern me concern city? Na village straight up,town sef be like city.

1 Like

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by kaykad: 9:16pm On Apr 04, 2015
A MAN'S VILLAGE HIS IS PEACE OF MIND.....

1 Like

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Apr 04, 2015
If ur papa no get house for village, abeg , try build first for village even if na L-shape.
If you are living in PH,Abj or PH, abeg , abeg first build in d city, or u will continue emptying your account for your landlord thereby making building in the village an infinite project.
If you lose your job(as is common these days (we don't pray for that) , u can rent out a room and be collecting rent to keep body and soul together. You fit even convert your backyard to poultry or even start a fish farm.if u have a borehole, u don become water merchant be that.

In all ,If you are confused, close your eyes and do as the spirit directs.

2 Likes

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Ilekeh(f): 9:18pm On Apr 04, 2015
My aunt built her first two houses in the village. She no dey live there o grin

Has anyone noticed new houses in Ekiti? Esp in Ikun/Aisegba
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Abugab(m): 9:19pm On Apr 04, 2015
City first to take away the burden of excessive reant and maybe a part for rent to further strengthen one's stream of income and the village comes thereafter. For those who are saying political instability or war, how many houses una don see pick free since Nigeria dey due to instability or war? When the cricis calms down, you come back and continue. For me the village house first will eat into one's income due to maintenance cost while it is not yielding any funds. Economically, the city house makes more sense..............
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Ilekeh(f): 9:19pm On Apr 04, 2015
I'll build a mansion in my city first. By the time I'm done, my village witches won't know.

I'll appease them by building another one in the village.
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Apr 04, 2015
IN THE CITY, no second thought abt that and my parents and none of my family members will even know, untill months wen im through with it.
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Apr 04, 2015
it depends how often you go to the village, why build a house in the village you visit once a year and pay rent in city you stay all year. I built my first house in the village cos I was at the village then, am only lucky to rent it out but I don't advice any one to build and keep cos that house will also dilapidate with speed
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Jarus(m): 9:21pm On Apr 04, 2015
Built my first house in the village, while still living in a rented apartment in the city. It's a tradition in our family, or our town sef. All of us built our first houses at our hometown.

I don't have any regret. The two weeks I spend in that house anytime I'm in the village for sallah(festival) are my happiest in the year.

Now about completing my city house.

2 Likes

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by cold(m): 9:21pm On Apr 04, 2015
Why not build both of em simultaneously
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by AreaFada2: 9:22pm On Apr 04, 2015
I think it really depends.

Virtually everybody's dad or granddad has a fairly large house in the village. In my village 4 to 12-rooms ancestral homes are the norm. Some have even more rooms.

I don't have a house in the village but the village family home has been modernised with similar furnishing/comfort like in the city. Light is even more reliable in the village.
Even if war/crisis breaks out in the city, family village home is comfy enough to escape to. cheesy

So city is it for now. ROI is just better. But village lands in strategic locations are in the portfolio. One can build a country home for retirement at a leisurely pace, by God's grace. grin.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Want To Rename My Street To Immortalize My Dad. / How To Know If Your Mother Is A Nigerian / 5 Signs That You Have A Loose Vagina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.