Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,036 members, 7,956,837 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:21 PM

Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? (23966 Views)

Sick Musa Under The Town Planning Bridge Linking Ilupeju To Anthony Village / Italian Based Nigerian Stranded In The Village As Ladies Refuse To Marry Him / For Ladies Who Grew Up In The Village. Did You Do This (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by DuchessLily(f): 10:32pm On Apr 04, 2015
nwadiuko1:
what if you father biuld em own for town too

Then it means my village is not where I should build a house in d 1st place..

If my father did not build any house in d village, and my grandfather too does not have a house in my village, then it means there must be something wrong with dat village... Na to borrow leg run, migrate go anoda village.
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by maum: 10:32pm On Apr 04, 2015
Igbo like me; @ home first.

1 Like

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by lekeey: 10:34pm On Apr 04, 2015
War can break out anywhere in the country, ask them in Modakeke. It is advisable to build in the city first, if u have excess, build in another part of the city. Send money home for your parent to refurbish their house

1 Like

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by cold(m): 10:35pm On Apr 04, 2015
Jarus:

Not that easy doing two projects simultaneously except you're an already established big man
True to a large extent

1 Like

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by maum: 10:35pm On Apr 04, 2015
Edoblakky:
This is the reason many live in towns hoping that one day war will break out. I've started building here in Lagos because my house rent is in millions. My dad has a big house in the village to accommodate us all during festivities so I'm not under any pressure to build yet. But when I've finished building in town, I might consider building in the village. But my house in town will be far lavishly finished than the one that I may build in the village. I spent virtually all my time in town and only seldom visit the village.

What I take out of your post is that you're lucky your dad built a big house that can accommodate you all.
But this is hoping that when you and your brothers start getting married, everyone will have their own quarters?
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Apr 04, 2015
what is village? who stays there? abeg lagos or nothing!
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Apr 04, 2015
Hazardd:
buiding a house in the village is a sure thing first. Thats your own town and place.

You can rent a house in a city where you live and am not sure for village.

Assuming if their is war in the city where will you run to.

Well sha, it depends on family planning
first are u praying for war? then during civil war, the igbos that where killed where nt in their village abi?
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Apr 04, 2015
Every intelligent Igbo man knows to build one in his village
Home is where the heart is
We don't forget our homeland no matter how far we sojourn

3 Likes

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Step84(m): 11:31pm On Apr 04, 2015
Hazardd:
buiding a house in the village is a sure thing first. Thats your own town and place.

You can rent a house in a city where you live and am not sure for village.

Assuming if their is war in the city where will you run to.

Well sha, it depends on family planning
It doesn't make any sense to build your first house in d villa where u visit maybe once a year. If u build a house ind city where u live, it wil save u money to easily build another one in da village. Incase of crisis which we don't pray for, u can stay away for sometime nd when normalcy returns, u show back to ur house.
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Apr 04, 2015
Charity begins at home.
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Step84(m): 11:36pm On Apr 04, 2015
Mc4larin:
Where can one build his first house? Is it the city in which you reside and work/do business? Or the village/town one came from?

Considering the political instability and hositlity in where one resides, which of the above is advisable to build your first house?? Because many buold houses in the village which they will not stay there...

Pls i need good answers with reasons please
Forget all these advices, if u hav money to build, build in the city first nd latter build another one in d village. I bet u, u will not regret it, u will rather thank me for it. Am speaking from my own personal experience.

1 Like

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by darelar(m): 11:38pm On Apr 04, 2015
I built my first house in where I reside because of accommodation problem and the cost of paying rent there. Am presently at home now and thanks to my dad has he built his house when he was under 30 which most of his friends was unable to achieved till date due to their unseriousness then. I can come around anytime and enter my room and relax has I made it to my taste. My younger boys too has 2 extra room and the ladies too has where they can crash once they were around. With that relief, just made the first step to start mine beside my dad house since I have almost 2 plot there and Yoruba said (ile labo isimi Oko). I have been collecting rent since 2010 on two self con and each is 100 plus yearly now And if it were to be in my town, it might just be between 24 to 30k yearly
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Ajerry: 12:03am On Apr 05, 2015
As much i love igbo people even speak their language even if am from Edo i must say,their reason is baseless.if i have the correct document of land ownership to build house in 'matama or asokoro' who be that devil when go say war go pursue me ?well from city we have metropolitan from then we have megacity who in this world that dont want to live in the city or who in this world that dont want to go to meca or jerusalem?.if there ought to war? is those area that have less security like the villages that we suffer it even in borno 'baga' is hit most yes i wil build house in my villa but in my state capital too...war this war that "useless "
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Yinkame123(m): 12:03am On Apr 05, 2015
While having a bunk in both location is very important I think a house in the city should be the first as it will help you save on rents. However, building a house in the village if you are not a frequent village goer in my opinion is not a wise decision. If for any reason you want to build in the village build in such a way that you can rent part of it. Since I finished my village building since 2011 I have not stayed close to 30 days combined in the house.
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Judelord57: 12:13am On Apr 05, 2015
Everyone here has the sense that right now
is one of those moments when we are
influencing the future.
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by MadCow1: 12:15am On Apr 05, 2015
DuchessLily:
City where u live, So u stop paying house rent and also have a part to rent out , so u can collect house rent frm tenant

With that, it will be easier to save towards d village house.

Why build 1st in a Village u visit maybe once a yr?

I have several lands in the village, fenced and secured and used for farming by some of my village relatives.. But neither me nor my Dad has a personal house in the village. Reason: We seldom go to the village and spend the night. For one, my village isn't the safest place to live in and too many watchers are looking and waiting to harm a Nigga when the chance presents itself..

In the city though, we have houses.. I asked my Dad why we don't have a house in the village and his response was; Building a house in the village makes no economic sense. His houses in the city makes him more money in rent and has a higher value than a house in the village. Secondly why build a house in the village that he would not be living in for more than a week or two max in a year. So for him, he has the land and would only build on it when he is ready to relocate to the village which I don't see happening anytime soon. Same for me..

Now I can understand those who say they will build first in the village, most hinge their reasoning on the eventuality of a war breaking out, which for me I don't see happening anytime soon.. And should a war break out, I doubt I would be running back to the village..

So it's down to the individuals in the end.. For me though, a house should be an asset and an asset that should appreciate in value which most village houses never do.. The house my dad built for my grandma in the village is still there making him a very paltry sum in rent every year, meanwhile that same house in the city would have been fetching him more than 3 times the rent. Also, if you have a house in the village and yet live and work in the city and you are still paying rent in the city, then I wonder what economic sense that makes..

Most of the folks I know who built mega houses in the village all call it a waste of money as they only get to live in that house for less than 1 month in a year and have to spend a lot of money on the house just to keep it livable as an empty house tends to start dying off on its own over time.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Judelord57: 12:15am On Apr 05, 2015
The most important thing is to enjoy your
life - to be happy - it's all that matters.
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Judelord57: 12:17am On Apr 05, 2015
Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the
fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for
the poor.
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Osas001: 12:36am On Apr 05, 2015
Own a plot today @Otun Araromi, Magodo Isheri.. Beside Unilag estate.. 680sqm @ 4m per plot... Don't miss this opportunity... Contact us today @ LNO SYNERGY, 21B, Salvation road, off opebi, ikeja, Lagos. 08077116982, 08108607820, 08034686606.... You will be glad you made this decision. Payment option available.. Thanks, we await your patronage.
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Ndipe(m): 1:29am On Apr 05, 2015
It's practical to build it in the city that you live in, so you can save money that you would have paid for in rent. Take this advice of mine. Later on, you can build the house (a modest one if you are low on funds) in the village. Why even build a mansion in the village when really, by the time you are old, you wont have need for most of the stuff that you had acquired in your active years?

1 Like

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by sonnie10: 1:48am On Apr 05, 2015
Ibime:
A house is an investment.

Why build in the Village where you get no return on your investment while paying rent in the City?

Few years ago, a friend and I made contrasting investment decisions.

I decided to buy in the UK, he decided to build 6 flats in Lagos.

I asked him for his yearly return - It was N2.4m (N400k per flat).

My return was N1.2m (after paying mortgage payments).

However consider he had 5 times more capital than me for only double the return.

He wanted to form big man back home building 6 flats when he had no property in UK.

Who do you think made the best decision?

If you have money to build, always build in the City first.

have you compared the current value of his and yours recently. i bet his house have appreciated more than 200% and yours maybe zero

1 Like

Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by princeonx: 3:32am On Apr 05, 2015
City first. Build a commercial property and use yearly rent to fund village project.
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Eljay24(m): 4:29am On Apr 05, 2015
In d Sky"
Na dere sure pass"

lipsrsealed
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Zocken: 4:30am On Apr 05, 2015
I think "need" should drive this. I built my first house in the city, abuja precisely because that's where I work and live. My father has a house in the village that is occupied by only him and mum. In fact, I had to get a relative to stay with my folks. Why build a house in a village I go to once a year. I need a house more where I live and I settled that first. Now that I'm planning to build in my state, i'm not even considering my village, but the state capital, where I can build and rent to make profit. Building a house in the village does not require any urgency when you have other needs.
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by DuchessLily(f): 5:23am On Apr 05, 2015
MadCow1:

I have several lands in the village, fenced and secured and used for farming by some of my village relatives.. But neither me nor my Dad has a personal house in the village. Reason: We seldom go to the village and spend the night. For one, my village isn't the safest place to live in and too many watchers are looking and waiting to harm a Nigga when the chance presents itself..

In the city though, we have houses.. I asked my Dad why we don't have a house in the village and his response was; Building a house in the village makes no economic sense. His houses in the city makes him more money in rent and has a higher value than a house in the village. Secondly why build a house in the village that he would not be living in for more than a week or two max in a year. So for him, he has the land and would only build on it when he is ready to relocate to the village which I don't see happening anytime soon. Same for me..

Now I can understand those who say they will build first in the village, most hinge their reasoning on the eventuality of a war breaking out, which for me I don't see happening anytime soon.. And should a war break out, I doubt I would be running back to the village..

So it's down to the individuals in the end.. For me though, a house should be an asset and an asset that should appreciate in value which most village houses never do.. The house my dad built for my grandma in the village is still there making him a very paltry sum in rent every year, meanwhile that same house in the city would have been fetching him more than 3 times the rent. Also, if you have a house in the village and yet live and work in the city and you are still paying rent in the city, then I wonder what economic sense that makes..

Most of the folks I know who built mega houses in the village all call it a waste of money as they only get to live in that house for less than 1 month in a year and have to spend a lot of money on the house just to keep it livable as an empty house tends to start dying off on its own over time.

Yeah...very true. My thoughts too
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by kaykad: 5:40am On Apr 05, 2015
Because of money issues...e.g you hav a million naira, that cant even buy a plot in Lagos but can raise you house to roofing
CityNG:

An astute question. It makes no sense to do so.
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Nobody: 6:00am On Apr 05, 2015
kaykad:
Because of money issues...e.g you hav a million naira, that cant even buy a plot in Lagos but can raise you house to roofing

Still makes no sense.

At least to me anyways.
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by Nobody: 6:12am On Apr 05, 2015
donsteady:
As an Urhobo man, I build 2 houses already one in my village, the second in my town, building third and forth in the city.

Ose, I dey butu for you!
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by oziawo: 6:24am On Apr 05, 2015
Ciy house first ooo' 4 me I start in a village when I realize is nt wise I start biulding in d city
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by pwettyhardey(f): 6:58am On Apr 05, 2015
If am a young man, around 28 yrs or so. My first house will be d city. But if m a married man with children, my first house will be the village cos I wnt be convenient staying in any family house with my family( children n wife)
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by blesoh(f): 6:58am On Apr 05, 2015
Build in d city first,landlords re nt smiling d rent is too high.
Re: Where Should You Build Your First House (city Or Village)? by redsquare(m): 7:22am On Apr 05, 2015
It depends on the kind of "village" one comes from. Mine is a well developed town in Anambra, non indigenes have bought up the whole place and erected mansions. I will be completing my village house soon by the grace of God, only then will I consider building one in PH where I stay. For those saying houses in the village do not appreciate, that's a lie. My cousin bought a plot of land in the village for 500k about 3 years ago, now that same area sells for over 3m.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Mom's Death Would Be A Relief To Me, She Hurt Me A Lot - South African Lady / I Won't Collect Bride Price For My Daughters If Disvirgined Before Marriage- Man / Wife Travelling Without Consent ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.