Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,279 members, 7,815,475 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:55 PM

Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? (1672 Views)

I Am Getting Married , Engagement Pictures / Marry Because You're Ready, Not Because Time Is Going! - Reno Omokri / Ladies, 5 Habits You Must Stop If You're Ready To Settle Down For Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by SleekyP(m): 1:28am On Apr 04, 2015
[size=18pt]Read and Digest.[/size]

As romantic as the notion of marriage may be, most people don’t stop to think if they are actually “marriage material.” Many think that simply because you fall in love and date for a year or two, marriage is the natural next step – but it’s not for everyone.

Make sure you’re honest with yourself about what you bring to the table. After all, you can’t attract a man who possesses the traits of a good husband if you don’t display those traits yourself (and of course the same applies to men).

1. Are you ready for commitment? angry

Sounds obvious, but many people only begin to think about commitment because it’s “time.” Their friends are getting married and family members are being pushy so they feel pressure, but internally they are not sure they are ready.

2. Is it more important to be happy than right? sad

We all know the type of person who always needs to be right. It is draining and can destroy a relationship. Can you set aside your own wants and needs for the greater good of the relationship?

3. Are you still in love with your ex(es)? undecided

Do you stalk him/her on social media? Do you care if she/he is dating someone new? Do you think about your ex all the time. If so, you are not ready for a new relationship and should consider professional help to move forward. I know your friends are exhausted of hearing about your drama. grin grin

4. Do you share a common vision or belief system? angry

There is nothing wrong with not liking or wanting children – it’s not for everyone, and it doesn’t automatically exclude you from being seen as marriage material. However, you have to keep in mind that if you’re dating someone who wants children, or who has children already, and you don’t like children, then it won’t matter how much you are in love, it’ll never work. cool

5. Can you remain faithful? shocked

This is not to say that once a cheater, always a cheater – but most people who are repeatedly unfaithful in relationships don’t change unless they truly are ready and they want to. But if you haven’t finished sowing your oats, then remain single until you can remain faithful.

6. Are you ready for a lifelong partnership?

Maintaining a long-term relationship requires compromise, so if you can’t handle not having everything your way, your relationship will not progress smoothly. Compromise includes everything from family decisions to finances, in-laws and even domestic chores.

*drops pen*

SleekyP

Cc:
Seun
SirShymexx
RoyalRoy
buygala
MizMyColi
ITbomb
pickabeau1
cococandy
ronald4lif
emusmith
Nne.. Nneka123
farano
rockstation
falconey
tosyne2much
DanceVille
Krall
Mrcork
chibwike
50calibre
Psalmwise
naijaboiy
kingtom
Ishilove
Lalasticlala

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by CountDracula(m): 2:13am On Apr 04, 2015
Nice write up... #Team ForeverSingle
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by ronald4lif(m): 2:16am On Apr 04, 2015
Interesting. The marital institution is one that should be considered carefully before one embarks on it. With the rate at which married couples divorce these days it even makes it more scary. You've said almost everything that need to be said.

But some areas of concern to look at is how the relationship is? The way a relationship is and how a couple handle issues goes a long way to tell if marriage is the right step to take the relationship a step further. Can they easily talk to each other? Can they deal with each other satisfactorily? Are they both "never do wrong people" or in order words are they both captain? Do they feel loved and accept each other including their shortcomings? All these are very vital issues and they must be duly looked at and properly addressed before marriage becomes an option.

Another factor is are they both ready financially. You see, the importance of money in a marriage can never be over emphasized. While many may want to wish they can undermine the role of money in the day to day running of a home but the fact still remains that a home without a reliable source of income might be heading for the rocks. Are they ready financially? Does at least one of the couple have a stable source of income? Do they have savings for the wedding and after the wedding when the kids start coming. This is very important and should be considered.

Lastly, most of what we have now is not marriage but more of a partnership. Commitment, tolerance and perseverance is at lowest level. Marriage today it's all about interest and when and if this parochial interest are not met trouble sets in. Do the couple love each other with all honesty or it's all about what they stand to gain or to protect their interest. These interest could be; monetary, connections, heights, appearance, academic qualifications etc. Should you love him/her because of their wealth what happens if they suddenly have a setback in their business/jobs and the money disappears? Should the guy marry her because of her b**bs and a*s what happens after a few years when the b**bs are not as firm as they were when they started off? Should she marry him because he's next to Ben Affleck what happens should he suffers any sort of disability or get involve in an accident? How about if she doesn't conceive after marriage will the man still hold on to her without cheating about?. Most marriages are based on individual interest and until such issues are carefully considered and potential couple understand that marriage ought to be a lifetime engagement, no matter the negative odds against them they should never get married.

While it is good or required that a partner should meet one's stand and preference it's also advisable that they understand that the marital union is not all about them and what they want but rather what they contribute to make excel and work, forever.

1 Like

Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by Nobody: 2:17am On Apr 04, 2015
Nice one op.

Marriage really needs full commitment with someone you love, and you really assent to spending the rest of your life with that person.

it also needs understanding and agreeing with one another, despite who is right or wrong.

I won't say MARRIAGE is really important in everyone's life, because if you can't let go of your exes, imprudent lifestyle, the feeling to not

have kids, All the NAGGING grin, then marriage is not for you. but i think Marriage is a good thing, i mean when i look at my parents all i see

is two lovey dovey birds sitting on the tree grin. It's so exciting to see them that way, and how they handle issues and know their

responsibilities, i think it takes a lot of grip for one to be ready to settle down.

1 Like

Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by Nobody: 2:17am On Apr 04, 2015
grin
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by Nobody: 2:22am On Apr 04, 2015
Dimples192:
grin
Are u ready?
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by Nobody: 2:23am On Apr 04, 2015
jacksparrow1207:

Are u ready?

Brb angry

Ok
Yes I am cool

Now what you gonna do about dat undecided
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by Nobody: 2:32am On Apr 04, 2015
Dimples192:

Brb angry

Come back cheesy tongue
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by MizMyColi(f): 6:48am On Apr 04, 2015
Flawless Writ!
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by ednut1(m): 6:54am On Apr 04, 2015
most gals dont care. na to bear mrs be koko
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by Booyakasha(f): 7:21am On Apr 04, 2015
Nneka123:
Nice one op.
Marriage really needs full commitment with someone you love, and you really assent to spending the rest of your life with that person.
it also needs understanding and agreeing with one another, despite who is right or wrong.
I won't say MARRIAGE is really important in everyone's life, because if you can't let go of your exes, imprudent lifestyle, the feeling to not
have kids, All the NAGGING grin, then marriage is not for you. but i think Marriage is a good thing, i mean when i look at my parents all i see
is two lovey dovey birds sitting on the tree grin. It's so exciting to see them that way, and how they handle issues and know their
responsibilities, i think it takes a lot of grip for one to be ready to settle down.

Word. +1 like
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by ITbomb(m): 7:30am On Apr 04, 2015
I have an ex that still clinging (sort of) I wonder if she will ever gets to be real with her husband (when she gets married). What advice can be given to such a girl to move on?
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by Houseofglam7(f): 7:33am On Apr 04, 2015
I'm just here to read comments
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by Nobody: 7:51am On Apr 04, 2015
Dimples192:

Brb angry

Ok
Yes I am cool

Now what you gonna do about dat undecided

Walk u down d aisle cheesy
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by Nobody: 7:52am On Apr 04, 2015
Houseofglam7:
I'm just here to read comments
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by Nobody: 7:54am On Apr 04, 2015
jacksparrow1207:

Walk u down d aisle cheesy
embarassed I heard you're already married embarassed
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by Nobody: 7:57am On Apr 04, 2015
Dimples192:

embarassed I heard you're already married embarassed

I need more wives cheesy cheesy
Morning
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by Nobody: 7:58am On Apr 04, 2015
jacksparrow1207:

I need more wives cheesy cheesy
Morning

angry u ain't husband material angry
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by Nobody: 8:01am On Apr 04, 2015
Dimples192:

angry u ain't husband material angry
I'm husband stuff cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by Nobody: 8:03am On Apr 04, 2015
Most people are only ready,and prepared for wedding and not marriage..

It entails a lot of patience,submissive,determination,and selfless attitude,without that its heading for the rock..

I wonder how our parent were able to sustain their marriage then than now that life is becoming more easier.
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by Nobody: 8:07am On Apr 04, 2015
jacksparrow1207:

I'm husband stuff cheesy cheesy cheesy

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Let me not derail lipsrsealed
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by Nobody: 8:12am On Apr 04, 2015
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by Psalmwise(m): 8:56am On Apr 04, 2015
This is the topics we crAving for...t wud surely mmk fp

And if t does nt...sumone is definately high on cow poo
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by Nobody: 10:05am On Apr 04, 2015
...Bonus
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by SleekyP(m): 10:50am On Apr 04, 2015
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by SleekyP(m): 11:42am On Apr 04, 2015
Psalmwise:
This is the topics we crAving for...t wud surely mmk fp

And if t does nt...sumone is definately high on cow poo
smiley
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by Psalmwise(m): 11:45am On Apr 04, 2015
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by Nobody: 11:52am On Apr 04, 2015
I am very much ready, but no babe angry
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by irishCream: 1:47pm On Apr 04, 2015
SleekyP:
[size=18pt]Read and Digest.[/size]

As romantic as the notion of marriage may be, most people don’t stop to think if they are actually “marriage material.” Many think that simply because you fall in love and date for a year or two, marriage is the natural next step – but it’s not for everyone.

Make sure you’re honest with yourself about what you bring to the table. After all, you can’t attract a man who possesses the traits of a good husband if you don’t display those traits yourself (and of course the same applies to men).

1. Are you ready for commitment? angry

Sounds obvious, but many people only begin to think about commitment because it’s “time.” Their friends are getting married and family members are being pushy so they feel pressure, but internally they are not sure they are ready.

2. Is it more important to be happy than right? sad

We all know the type of person who always needs to be right. It is draining and can destroy a relationship. Can you set aside your own wants and needs for the greater good of the relationship?

3. Are you still in love with your ex(es)? undecided

Do you stalk him/her on social media? Do you care if she/he is dating someone new? Do you think about your ex all the time. If so, you are not ready for a new relationship and should consider professional help to move forward. I know your friends are exhausted of hearing about your drama. grin grin

4. Do you share a common vision or belief system? angry

There is nothing wrong with not liking or wanting children – it’s not for everyone, and it doesn’t automatically exclude you from being seen as marriage material. However, you have to keep in mind that if you’re dating someone who wants children, or who has children already, and you don’t like children, then it won’t matter how much you are in love, it’ll never work. cool

5. Can you remain faithful? shocked

This is not to say that once a cheater, always a cheater – but most people who are repeatedly unfaithful in relationships don’t change unless they truly are ready and they want to. But if you haven’t finished sowing your oats, then remain single until you can remain faithful.

6. Are you ready for a lifelong partnership?

Maintaining a long-term relationship requires compromise, so if you can’t handle not having everything your way, your relationship will not progress smoothly. Compromise includes everything from family decisions to finances, in-laws and even domestic chores.

*drops pen*

SleekyP

Cc:
Seun
SirShymexx
RoyalRoy
buygala
MizMyColi
ITbomb
pickabeau1
cococandy
ronald4lif
emusmith
Nne.. Nneka123
farano
rockstation
falconey
tosyne2much
DanceVille
Krall
Mrcork
chibwike
50calibre
Psalmwise
naijaboiy
kingtom
Ishilove
Lalasticlala

Ok...
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by SleekyP(m): 8:08pm On Apr 04, 2015
smiley
Re: Getting Married? Are You Sure You're Ready? by SleekyP(m): 7:31am On Apr 07, 2015
cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

After 10years Of Chasing Girls, I Want To Resign Peacefully / Guys, What's The Craziest Thing a Girl Has Ever Done/said To U / Soldier Parades Cheating Wife And Partner Both Neckhead On The Streets (photos )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.