Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,826 members, 7,817,410 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:47 AM

But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? (3181 Views)

Jona's Loss Is Jimi Agbaje's Gain / Jimi Agbaje Rides Okada To Rally (PHOTOS) / Who Is Jimi Agbaje? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by Bre(f): 12:06am On Apr 07, 2015
This is a very serious question. As I am genuinely trying to understand why and when he was appointed an Igbo candidate for Igbos. This is going by the rabid statements and threads I have read concerning this man.

Even if Igbos decided to vote for him, kini big deal? Those Yoruba NLers (not all) foaming at the mouth need to chill out and understand that it is one man, one vote.

As if some Igbos won't vote Ambode and some Yorubas won't vote Agbaje.

2 Likes

Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by OduaMercenary: 12:11am On Apr 07, 2015
He is not an ibo man.

But he is using the ethnic card to gain political points.

It will backfire. I have said my own

12 Likes

Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by Osakah24(m): 12:24am On Apr 07, 2015
OduaMercenary:
He is not an ibo man.

But he is using the ethnic card to gain political points.

It will backfire. I have said my own
Do you mind clarifying on this?

1 Like

Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by 76Naira(m): 12:35am On Apr 07, 2015
Osakah24:
Do you mind clarifying on this?

Why ask odua mercenary to clarify a bias ?

2 Likes

Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by Firefire(m): 12:38am On Apr 07, 2015
Bre:
This is a very serious question. As I am genuinely trying to understand why and when he was appointed an Igbo candidate for Igbos. This is going by the rabid statements and threads I have read concerning this man.

Even if Igbos decided to vote for him, kini big deal? Those Yoruba NLers (not all) foaming at the mouth need to chill out and understand that it is one man, one vote.

We need to ask the Oba if Jimi Agbaje is no longer a Lagosian.

11 Likes

Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by judiciarypalava: 12:55am On Apr 07, 2015
This is the one million dollar question the motor park Oba will need to answer.
FFK is even better than this manner less and shame less thug.

6 Likes

Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by Bre(f): 9:18am On Apr 07, 2015
judiciarypalava:
This is the one million dollar question the motor park Oba will need to answer.
FFK is even better than this manner less and shame less thug.

Thank you.

After Jonathan had lost the election, all I have seen is a sudden explosion of tribalistic thugs with anti Igbo sentiments and it's disgusting. No one is dragging northerners for their clear and unrelenting bias for choosing Buhari who is their own. Igbos had not one Igbo candidate to support whether in the presidential or VP position yet what we saw was a people who voted based on their choice and right to vote. Now the supposed SW brothers are up in arms about this. Am I to believe that Igbos have no right to make a choice in who they wish to rule? Is that what is really going on??

7 Likes

Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by Dele010: 9:20am On Apr 07, 2015
Bre:

Heard he's an indigene of Lagos.
Nigerians are wiser now: vote for the person, not where they come from or what party they belong to.
Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by Bre(f): 11:44am On Apr 07, 2015
Dele010:

Heard he's an indigene of Lagos.
Nigerians are wiser now: vote for the person, not where they come from or what party they belong to.

That he is. He's a true Lagosian, Ambode is also an immigrant, he does not originate from Lagos... gonna just let that marinate
Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by vonmaxwell(m): 1:11pm On Apr 07, 2015
Apc are xo stupid to use the PDP candidate 2 deceive yorubas.

1 Like

Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by Bre(f): 1:13pm On Apr 07, 2015
vonmaxwell:
Apc are xo stupid to use the PDP candidate 2 deceive yorubas.

I swear. I am counting on them to be wiser than that. I however will not hold my breath.
Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by LubricatingOil: 1:15pm On Apr 07, 2015
Bre:

He's an Efulefu!

A friend of our enemies is an enemy and he must die.
Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by LubricatingOil: 1:15pm On Apr 07, 2015
[s]
Bre:

That he is. He's a true Lagosian, Ambode is also an immigrant, he does not originate from Lagos... gonna just let that marinate
[/s]

Nonsense!

1 Like

Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by Dele010: 9:15am On Apr 09, 2015
Bre:

He is a "true Lagosian" doesn't mean he will do anything for Lagos.
Is there really anything as a "true Lagosian"? The history of Lagos says otherwise.
People should vote for someone they know will take Lagos to the next level.

Watched an Ambode video on Youtube (the video ad) and was disappointed. If I wanted to vote for him, after that video...not sure I would. Seemed to me like he had no idea of what it was saying and all he was doing was reciting something he had crammed while smiling like a kid who'd been told what to do an promised something really nice in return.

Agbaje on the other hand is busy having quarrels.

Wondering if they think there is a way "Nigerian politics" works. Wonder what that ("Nigerian politics"wink is. I mean...what are they thinking!

We are humans and that position they intend to fill is supposed to be for them to serve us not themselves.

Anyways, just what I'm seeing though.

THE SADDEST PART is MOST Nigerians have no idea what politics, democracy to be precise, is supposed to be. It's as if they have no inclination whatsoever... saddens me.

1 Like

Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by Bre(f): 10:35am On Apr 09, 2015
Dele010:

He is a "true Lagosian" doesn't mean he will do anything for Lagos.
Is there really anything as a "true Lagosian"? The history of Lagos says otherwise.
People should vote for someone they know will take Lagos to the next level.

Watched an Ambode video on Youtube (the video ad) and was disappointed. If I wanted to vote for him, after that video...not sure I would. Seemed to me like he had no idea of what it was saying and all he was doing was reciting something he had crammed while smiling like a kid who'd been told what to do an promised something really nice in return.

Agbaje on the other hand is busy having quarrels.

Wondering if they think there is a way "Nigerian politics" works. Wonder what that ("Nigerian politics"wink is. I mean...what are they thinking!

We are humans and that position they intend to fill is supposed to be for them to serve us not themselves.

Anyways, just what I'm seeing though.

THE SADDEST PART is MOST Nigerians have no idea what politics, democracy to be precise, is supposed to be. It's as if they have no inclination whatsoever... saddens me.

You generally raised some good points but on your last point, I completely agree. I was trying to explain to a friend of mine from Brazil what the political climate in Nigeria is like. She asked me, "so between the PDP and APC, which is the more conservative and which is more liberal?".

I had no answer for her. I just had to settle with explaining that the parties are more like cliques than parties of philosophical ideologies like you can clearly distinguish in other some countries. No party, either at a federal or state level, has a clearly defined vision that one can just identify with - like the Labour Party and the Conservatives of the UK. Or the Rebuplicans and the Democrats of the US.

So with no solid vision for supporters to follow, the masses then just seem to settle in to follow based on tribal sentiment.

And that's why I seriously doubt that democracy, at least the way we currently have it structured, is not suitable for Nigeria.
Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by MugabeRobert: 10:36am On Apr 09, 2015
He's an EFULEFU 1 OF YORUBA LAND.
Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by bamidele029: 10:39am On Apr 09, 2015
He betrayed Yorubas with his silly style of politics. With the fliers below that he has been sharing around, how do you expect Yorubas to be happy with him. He is trying to cause trouble for his selfish interest

2 Likes

Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by Bre(f): 10:46am On Apr 09, 2015
bamidele029:
He betrayed Yorubas with his silly style of politics. With the fliers below that he has been sharing around, how do you expect Yorubas to be happy with him. He is trying to cause trouble for his selfish interest

I had not seen the second picture before now.

But wait, are the things written down there true? Can you honestly tell me that what he has written is a lie? Because only if they are lies, then yes, your anger is more than justified. If not, then your anger is pointed in the wrong direction. You should be angry that a people can be marginalised like that in your own city!

1 Like

Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by bamidele029: 10:48am On Apr 09, 2015
Bre:

I had not seen the second picture before now.

But wait, are the things written down there true? Can you honestly tell me that what he has written is a lie? Because only if they are lies, then yes, your anger is more than justified. If not, then your anger is pointed in the wrong direction. You should be angry that a people can be marginalised like that in your own city!

Of course they are lies, do your own research and ask around. Lagos is one of the fairest states , he is simply trying to stir up sentiments for votes not minding the bad blood he is creating. Very selfish man

1 Like

Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by bamidele029: 10:51am On Apr 09, 2015
Just this morning, 2 non indigenes were saying on tv that his tactics is irritating. They've never been made to feel like non indigenes in Lagos and certainly they don't pay more tax than any of their indigene colleagues .

One even said she got a house under the Lagos state housing scheme whereas the other woman sitting right in the studio which her who is an indigene didn't get because it's a simply case of first come first serve.

The politics Jimi is playing is disgusting
Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by maclatunji: 10:53am On Apr 09, 2015
Bre:

You cannot be an immigrant in the place you were born. You can only be the child of immigrants if your parents were not born in that place.

Don't misuse English.

1 Like

Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by Bre(f): 11:06am On Apr 09, 2015
bamidele029:
Just this morning, 2 non indigenes were saying on tv that his tactics is irritating. They've never been made to feel like non indigenes in Lagos and certainly they don't pay more tax than any of their indigene colleagues .

One even said she got a house under the Lagos state housing scheme whereas the other woman sitting right in the studio which her who is an indigene didn't get because it's a simply case of first come first serve.

The politics Jimi is playing is disgusting

When I saw those pictures you posted, I first thought it was odd for a candidate to single out a demographic to speak to and tried to imagine how that would look in other parts of Nigeria. I still thought it odd.

I spend more time travelling around Nigeria than settled in one place so I cannot say for sure what is happening, but I have not seen any instances of those things with my own eyes. That is why I made no conclusive statements regarding that issue but only asked questions. I assumed that he had been using the issue of "non-indigenes" being deported from Lagos seeing as that was a major bone of contention not too long ago.

If that is really his campaign strategy, divide and conquer, then that is foul.
Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by Bre(f): 11:10am On Apr 09, 2015
maclatunji:

You can be an immigrant in the place you are born. You can only be the child of immigrants if your parents were not born in that place.

Don't misuse English.

Thanks prof. but, right back atcha (reread your sentence) undecided
Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by Jk210(f): 11:23am On Apr 09, 2015
Bre:

When I saw those pictures you posted, I first thought it was odd for a candidate to single out a demographic to speak to and tried to imagine how that would look in other parts of Nigeria. I still thought it odd.
I spend more time travelling around Nigeria than settled in one place so I cannot say for sure what is happening, but I have not seen any instances of those things with my own eyes. That is why I made no conclusive statements regarding that issue but only asked questions. I assumed that he had been using the issue of "non-indigenes" being deported from Lagos seeing as that was a major bone of contention not too long ago.
If that is really his campaign strategy, divide and conquer, then that is foul.

That has been his tactic all along. Divide the Yoruba votes with Ambode and then curry all the Igbo/ non-indigene votes to himself. At a point he appealed to Igbo's not to travel home for Easter so he could realise his ambition.

How's that for a stellar character? He doesn't even care if he pits Yoruba's against Igbo's. Well let's see how far his strategy works on Saturday.

One thing is for sure though, he is one hell of a desperate dude

3 Likes

Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by mrmetoo1: 11:27am On Apr 09, 2015
Bre:

No one is saying Igbos shouldn't vote for Jimi, what everyone is just concerned about is the reason for voting him. If you vote the wrong candidate for the wrong reasons, we all get affected, everyone!! This is the reason it's such a big deal.

Then it's kinda odd that a whole tribe is leaning towards one candidate, this almost implies there's an underlying alliance with the candidate or they're just voting solely along party lines which is wrong. If the Igbo vote seems to be spread them it won't be a big deal. It's not like Agbaje it's Igbo that we could say well they're just getting behind their person.

Agbaje to me is not qualified enough, he might be regarded as a smooth talker but some people, some people might like his face but that's not enough to vote someone in to run a state especially a state like Lagos.

When people say he has integrity, I just wonder what they're talking about. This is man that won his party nomination through fraudulent means. 806 delegates and they ended up with 863 votes, impossible mathematics. Now they're using tribal sentiments to gain votes. Like seriously, landlords increasing rent on non-indegenes. Agbaje needs to go back, regain his integrity, shore up his experience and qualifications and come back and try again

5 Likes

Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by Bre(f): 12:13pm On Apr 09, 2015
mrmetoo1:

No one is saying Igbos shouldn't vote for Jimi, what everyone is just concerned about is the reason for voting him. If you vote the wrong candidate for the wrong reasons, we all get affected, everyone!! This is the reason it's such a big deal.

Then it's kinda odd that a whole tribe is leaning towards one candidate, this almost implies there's an underlying alliance with the candidate or they're just voting solely along party lines which is wrong. If the Igbo vote seems to be spread them it won't be a big deal. It's not like Agbaje it's Igbo that we could say well they're just getting behind their person.

Agbaje to me is not qualified enough, he might be regarded as a smooth talker but some people, some people might like his face but that's not enough to vote someone in to run a state especially a state like Lagos.

When people say he has integrity, I just wonder what they're talking about. This is man that won his party nomination through fraudulent means. 806 delegates and they ended up with 863 votes, impossible mathematics. Now they're using tribal sentiments to gain votes. Like seriously, landlords increasing rent on non-indegenes. Agbaje needs to go back, regain his integrity, shore up his experience and qualifications and come back and try again

Okay, this takes me back to my initial point. When was a cross section of Igbo Lagosians taken to derive that they would all vote for him?

So far as my own personal experience goes, I of all my Igbo friends and family am the only one that felt GEJ should have been re-elected. My mother, who was a young child during the war, even she was very passionately behind Buhari. I am not too passionate about either candidate for Lagos, and as far as my family and Igbo friends in Lagos are concerned, they want to remain with APC. So again, who decided that Agbaje is an Igbo candidate? Who decided that all Igbos will vote for him? It is one man, one vote - no one has a monopoly on an entire group of people.

I do however feel that Lagosians must be wise in voting - the political godfatherism has eaten deep into the system to the detriment of the greater good.

I do agree that no one should vote on tribal sentiments. I am a patriot. No other choice; Nigeria is ours.

1 Like

Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Apr 09, 2015
Bre:

He is not an Igbo man that is why we don't have to carry his matter on our head like we did for Jonathan who is Ijaw! The fight between Agbaje & Ambode is like that between a husband & wife and when they kiss and settle, they will turn round to accuse you of being the devil trying to destroy their marriage. Ambode & Agbaje will definitely make up after the elections regardless of who wins and guess what? they will turn round to blame the Igbos for trying to cause disaffection in their land and name us the 'devil.'

3 Likes

Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by Bre(f): 12:24pm On Apr 09, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

He is not an Igbo man that is why we don't have to carry his matter on our head like we did for Jonathan who is Ijaw! The fight between Agbaje & Ambode is like that between a husband & wife and when they kiss and settle, they will turn round to accuse you of being the devil trying to destroy their marriage. Ambode & Agbaje will definitely make up after the elections regardless of who wins and guess what? they will turn round to blame the Igbos for trying to cause disaffection in the land name us the 'devil.'

Heavy statement, but we can all see this coming. But this is why I am perplexed as to who is insisting Jimi Agbaje is for Igbos (obviously before the oba Akiolu wahala). I have not come across one Igbo who insisted on inflicting this man as our standard. All I perceive is far, far less care for the governor aspirants than there was for the presidential candidacy.
Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Apr 09, 2015
Bre:

Heavy statement, but we can all see this coming. But this is why I am perplexed as to who is insisting Jimi Agbaje is for Igbos (obviously before the oba Akiolu wahala). I have not come across one Igbo who insisted on inflicting this man as our standard. All I perceive is far, far less care for the governor aspirants than there was for the presidential candidacy.

Obviously you've not been following what is happening into the Campaign space in Lagos. Check online and see all the endorsements given by us to vote Agbaje in block. Even on nairaland here our people have been shouting same and i wonder!

1 Like

Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by Bre(f): 12:30pm On Apr 09, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

Obviously you've not been following what is happening into the Campaign space in Lagos. Check online and see all the endorsements given by us to vote Agbaje in block. Even on nairaland here our people have been shouting same and i wonder!

This is not happening in my sphere of influence. I see it happening on nairaland but I do not count nairaland within my sphere of influence. I actively separate it from my reality outside of this forum, mostly due to self preservation.
Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by jamaicabakare(m): 1:00pm On Apr 09, 2015
Bre:

nope... he is even more of a lagosian than Ambode.....the problem with the Igbo's is that once a man says he is a PDP....member, he is authomatically an igbo man.... Dazzol

1 Like

Re: But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? by Dele010: 1:49pm On Apr 09, 2015
Bre:

You generally raised some good points but on your last point, I completely agree. I was trying to explain to a friend of mine from Brazil what the political climate in Nigeria is like. She asked me, "so between the PDP and APC, which is the more conservative and which is more liberal?".

I had no answer for her. I just had to settle with explaining that the parties are more like cliques than parties of philosophical ideologies like you can clearly distinguish in other some countries. No party, either at a federal or state level, has a clearly defined vision that one can just identify with - like the Labour Party and the Conservatives of the UK. Or the Rebuplicans and the Democrats of the US.

So with no solid vision for supporters to follow, the masses then just seem to settle in to follow based on tribal sentiment.

And that's why I seriously doubt that democracy, at least the way we currently have it structured, is not suitable for Nigeria.

Lol...

But then, we can't just give up on our fellow Nigerians... even though they still act as animals.

He that knows is supposed to enlighten they that are unaware.

Change has started... Change is the only thing that is constant... Nigeria WILL get better.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Never Promised APC To Make Naira Equal To Dollar – APC / The North Owns The Oil In The SW / See The Man Behind Dino Melaye Travailing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.