Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,741 members, 7,844,440 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 09:10 PM

Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga (54847 Views)

Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos / Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga / Caption This Photo Of Fashola And Tinubu Staring At The Oba Of Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by MDMA: 9:23am On Apr 11, 2015
treasuremi1:
For how long do we want this to continue!!! What is happening? Okay, the oba said it and he is regretting ever saying it., but can't we move on?

We shall move on tomorrow when Jimi becomes governor.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by superstar1(m): 9:23am On Apr 11, 2015
OdenigboAroli2:

wharreva!

Who cares, in as much as it was an effort in futility. grin grin grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by Nobody: 9:25am On Apr 11, 2015
musing:

You sound like you're speaking from experience
I ve heard stories, I ve been with really successful people, some of em who went to school by trekking over long distances and engaging in hard labour to pay der fees...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by rabimlomo: 9:25am On Apr 11, 2015
Godwin10123:

Igbos have spoken ,Go and die. We re here to stay. The write up preach peace and tolerance but you re here passing on hatred to your generation. Go ahead!!! Igbos re here and oda state to stay aint nothing can do abt dat. Animals
But why do you igbos like roaming about? I mean, does that not mean that your own land is not conducive for you. And I don't mean just Lagos, but even my village as remote as it is. Why don't you stay in your towns, develop it, and turn them into little londons?

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 9:25am On Apr 11, 2015
No matter how you look at it she is the bigger fool. When the APC was using diversionary tactics to exist jonathan from power we're was she. World war II started because ppl like are(european leaders) gave hitler a chance. I would say it again though I am yourba the igbos who really think this change movt is in their intrest are worst than delusional. This is just the beginning of things to come.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by oluamid(m): 9:25am On Apr 11, 2015
Terenceike:
Surprising to see these cowards called yoruba threatening the Igbos. You now act as if you're ready for a war. Remember you didn't say a word when Abiola did win an election but was denied. Instead he was imprisoned and later murdered, his wife followed, yet you didn't raise dust. Just because you feel you've got a collabo with Hausas you're biting more than you chew. Remember this isn't 1967, its not for no reason Igbos are called 'Japan of Africa'

Really?

See how you are re-writing history cos of your tribal bias. Lol
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by Nobody: 9:25am On Apr 11, 2015
lygn19:
I ve heard stories, I ve been with really successful people, some of em who went to school by trekking over long distances and engaging in hard labour to pay der fees...

Yeah. Like my dad
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by illiad: 9:29am On Apr 11, 2015
Ymodulus:

Lol.
Morning

Lol guy na yab I dey yab o.
Anyway morning!
But I no dey joke with my beloved Igbo tribe.
I live and die as a proud Igbo man. And should there be another life I'd come an Igbo man a million more times.

God bless you if you love Ndigbo! And let it be otherwise if your case is otherwise.
I am available for love and hate.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by geoworldedu: 9:29am On Apr 11, 2015
OdenigboAroli2:

as resourceful, intelligent, law abiding, hard working and life chopping folks, we don't give a flying fvck what any other person thinks.

Are you sure you igbos are not seeing yourselves otherwise? grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by OdenigboAroli2: 9:29am On Apr 11, 2015
superstar1:

Who cares, in as much as it was an effort in futility. grin grin grin
nothing changed for us, same ppl ruling since 1967 still ruling and we getting bigger and stronger since 1970, even causing the oba some nightmares. An exercise in futility it has been since grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by Uniqueempress(f): 9:30am On Apr 11, 2015
MugabeRobert:
The Oba has spoken and this voice are in clear terms. If you can't take it, just move back to your village and stop causing nuisance.

Finally, am proud someone is standing up against these arrogant and loudmouthed bullies.

smh...I pray you find love.sad sad
MugabeRobert:
The Oba has spoken and this voice are in clear terms. If you can't take it, just move back to your village and stop causing nuisance.

Finally, am proud someone is standing up against these arrogant and loudmouthed bullies.

smh...I pray you find love.sad
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by expertfingers(m): 9:30am On Apr 11, 2015
[quote author=Ymodulus post=32584060][/quote]

This is by far one of the most sensible comments on this matter. calling for calmness is a moral and patriotic thing to do and Chimamanda should know better.

Write-ups and speeches that will continue to fan the ember of discord is not in the interest of anybody.

Enough people have spoken out against the Oba's speech already. It's time to move on before this degenerates into something else.

Let's live peacefully so long as we are together.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by OdenigboAroli2: 9:31am On Apr 11, 2015
geoworldedu:

Are you sure you igbos are not seeing yourselves otherwise? grin
what for? The only way to know you are in the lead is when all others start clawing at you back to pull you back. Hence the Obas unprovoked outburst.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by Sanchez01: 9:34am On Apr 11, 2015
OdenigboAroli2:

we should sweep it under the carpet and have more people continue to threaten igbos?
Yes, I would sweep a man's threat under the carpet as long as he does not act it out. It wouldn't diminish from my age, status, wealth and affluence if I choose to ignore him.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by ebukabanky(m): 9:36am On Apr 11, 2015
Wat can i say.....we ar just being force to live together as nigerian while we all......i mean U Know dat been tribalistic runs in our blood........as individual u put your tribesmen in front before considering anyone else. #lagosforchange
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by iiiyyyk(m): 9:40am On Apr 11, 2015
Ymodulus:

Thanks it takes a bright mind to see that. Many just think am been tribalistic. Thinks am against the igbos without knowing am part of them

One of those lost sons. You want others to call u good person, my broda the world is a battle field, if u dont defend ur pple, others will make mess of them.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by geoworldedu: 9:41am On Apr 11, 2015
OdenigboAroli2:

what for? The only way to know you are in the lead is when all others start clawing at you back to pull you back. Hence the Obas unprovoked outburst.

did the Oba come to your shops to proclaim that? you guys went to the OBA's palace to disturb his peace and he laid a 'Lagoon curse' on you.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by Sibrah: 9:43am On Apr 11, 2015
OdenigboAroli2:

face your front, why did the oba misyarn?

I am not here to stereotype like you. The Oba spoke for himself alone. He knows what his interest is in both candidates. The arguments of most 'Igbo-monikers' here has been heavily dependent on the assumption that whatever one Yoruba man or even Hausa man says is the opinion of every Yoruba or Hausa person.
Now that's a bad way to think.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by joeyreports: 9:43am On Apr 11, 2015
Ymodulus:
I think I will start by trying to be Anthropomorphic, as it will bet express my heading.
Its really sad when insanity realizes that he has a mental disorder then he is as good as cured. The moment a people come to terms with their complex problem which often place them at loggerheads with their host communities the better for them.

I seem not to fathom how a tribe claim to have suffered humiliations and deprivation from other ethnic nationalities. This allegation should be consider very weighty even though it was not substantiated. Nonetheless, this aggrieved ethnic nationality needs to ask herself what is about it that could be responsible for the purported hostile acts of other ethnic nationalities toward it.

One problem I have with Chimanda is all her articles tends to quote Chinua Achebe, even when its evident chinua actions are wrong. The sane mistake she made, about his book "there was a country". Now she is trying to say that the Igbo's were murdered in early 1960's for political reasons? Who started the war? Was it the Nigerian Arny or The late Ojukwu ? I see Chimabda is biased. And she is just a staunt re-echoer of Chinua Achebe's belief.

I liked the fact that she related the massacre of the Ibos in different parts of the country before the civil war. However what I do like to ask her is this,

1. chimanda was there nothing that led to the massacre?

You can't deny that the tendency to dominate in another man's land which is being exhibited now by taking the Oba to court is what led to such. Tell me when you come back from court if the people of Lagos will still have a good relationship with the Ibos.

Chimanda while trying to play a neutral ground at the surface, is been biased deep down. I am sorry to say but if Chimanda spent her time writing this, she wasted that time. As this just further lowered NY respect for her as an internationally recognised writer. Novel is her thing not politics.

Just imagine how shez is spreading lies about 1960s massacre. Posterity Judge you.

So Sir are you justifying what the Oba said? I believe the point Chimamanda was trying to stress here, was for us to understand and avoid a repeated massacre of the Igbos should in-case the Oba's candidate losses the election. Truth is she is concerned about the plight of her people (Forget the international recognition) You and I knows that the Oba's words has influence in it, and believe me some miscreant would want to act to those words..... The theory of Igbo dominance is just in the mind set of other tribes in Nigerians.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by superstar1(m): 9:45am On Apr 11, 2015
OdenigboAroli2:

nothing changed for us, same ppl ruling since 1967 still ruling and we getting bigger and stronger since 1970, even causing the oba some nightmares. An exercise in futility it has been since grin grin grin

iissshh

No wonder you keep running from the pillar of GEJ skirt to the post of ICC. Stronger indeed. You have always been on the losing sides from time immemorial and it is still same till today and it shall continue forever more.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by OdenigboAroli2: 9:45am On Apr 11, 2015
geoworldedu:

did the Oba come to your shops to proclaim that? you guys went to the OBA's palace to disturb his peace and he laid a 'Lagoon curse' on you.
that's the case, he repaid a friendly visit with curses. This yoruba man is so intelligent.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by Truth234(m): 9:46am On Apr 11, 2015
francizy:

You people speak as if Igbos are forcefully stealing your land and political rights from you. Even when Igbos contest and loose in Lagos, do we go out en masse to cause trouble and kill? No.

Why does everyone turn a blind eye to the troublesome Fulani but label Igbos as the devil in Nigeria? I can recall vividly how peaceful Jos and Plateau state was before some tribes lost elections in that town and started killing their host. What did Nigerians do or say about that? Nothing, why? Because they are born to rule and cannot be challenged by the Yorubas, Igbos and other tribes.

In real sense and from history, the the true owners of Kaduna are the southern Kaduna tribes who are predominantly Christians, but they've been merged with people from Katsina and have had their numbers equal to or a bit smaller than the Northern Kaduna. Since 1999, they've only had one Southern Kaduna ruler who was made governor by the actions of the president in using Sambo as his VP.

We talk of political appointments and stuffs like that not knowing what is happening at the other side. When I schooled in ABU, a Southern Kaduna/Christian Prof won an election for the post of VC but was never made the VC due to massive protest within and outside the walls of the school. Finally, a Hausa/Fulani/Muslim Prof was appointed the VC.

But that is not the case in a Igbo land because I went to Metallurgical Training Institute at Onitsha and a Yoruba man is the Director. Mind you, that's just one establishment I went to. Imagine I was born and brought up in the South East, I would have seen various other tribes holding political/academic posts in my region without my people making a big deal out of it.

The truth will always hurt but I will spill it out, if it was the Fulani tribe that had this large population of the Igbos in a Yoruba/Lagos land and have not produced a governor yet, there would have been serious bloodshed. Take it or leave it.

Trust me you are not making sense, can you please mention one other tribe that has won election in the East like Igbos did in Lagos or that has held a political appointment in the East like its done in Lagos?

This was exactly what Ahmadu Bello was saying in the 60s, you want to dominate your host and dictate how they live in their own land, wasn't your people that put an end to the first republic via coup d'etat? A year later raised war against their own country? and Chimamanda still asking if one is more Nigeria than the other, the answer is obvious because the last time I checked the meaning of patriotism its devotion or commitment to ones country. Something your people don't seem to have enough of.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by Terenceike(m): 9:47am On Apr 11, 2015
oluamid:

Really?

See how you are re-writing history cos of your tribal bias. Lol

Keep laughing at your stupidity, all fingers are crossed waiting for the post Lagos election result
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by OdenigboAroli2: 9:48am On Apr 11, 2015
superstar1:

iissshh

No wonder you keep running from the pillar of GEJ skirt to the post of ICC. Stronger indeed. You have always been on the losing sides from time immemorial and it is still same till today and it shall continue forever more.
Don't expect anything to change in this country, the oba will keep ranting and more state governors will keep trying to curtail igbos. Nothing will change so, One Nigeria!

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by gisters609(f): 9:48am On Apr 11, 2015
Smh
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by blym4real: 9:49am On Apr 11, 2015
brainbox2014:
Here's a comment from a blog on which I first read the piece

Chimamanda, nice piece but this is not a matter to over-flog. You’re not more Igbo than me and many others saying “let’s move on” “calm down”. Many of us your fans will like to see how you can promote national unity through your writings. You write with too much ethnic fervour for a writer that all Nigerians will like to see as a national ambassador. At the end, what reaction do you expect from your readers in writing this poignant criticism of what you consider to be anti-igbo trend? That we Igbos should hate those of our countrymen from other tribes more, feel oppressed, disliked and hold our heads down like an ostrich or take up cudgels against the Oba of Lagos who showed so much scorn for our tribe? You don’t live amongst us so it’s dangerous to yield to your temptation. If ethnic strife breaks out here, the genocide will be a material for your story telling abroad but some of us here may not be alive to read the story. Nigerians are coming out of those primordial ethnic sentiments you’re promoting. We are focusing on issues of development and the collective progress of all tribes, all tongues, all cultures in Nigeria. Igbos love Yorubas and Yorubas love Igbos. Leave all that story that do not change our lives for the better in any way my sister." - Stanley
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by codedguy1(m): 9:50am On Apr 11, 2015
Samirana360:
i didn't xpect such words 4rm an oba, a traditional ruler of d most populous city in nigeria. Ok now what if ambode losses dis election? Does it mean dat igbos ar responsible 4 dat? Is agbaje an igbo man? How would he(oba) knw d people who vote 4 ambode or jk?

oba should answer me

The oba spoke lika an illiterate. As if Jimi would not get any votes from the yorubas and that the igbos would be the ones to give hime victory. He talked as if Jimi who seems to be more lagosian than Ambode is not a yoruba man.

That Oba was just trying to please APC because he seemed to lean to GEJ's side before the election, when APC won the center he then had to do a volt face and in doing so overtalked and spewed what they did not send him.

He wanted to impress the new party at the center.

If Jimi wins? What would happen? Will it be that the oba caused it? What would then be the perception of the Igbos?how would Asiwaju take it?

The oba is just a typical cowardly yoruba man who felt he had to quickly show loyalty to the new govt. An oba with no balls.

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by OdenigboAroli2: 9:51am On Apr 11, 2015
Truth234:

Trust me you are not making sense, can you please mention one other tribe that has won election in the East like Igbos did in Lagos or that has held a political appointment in the East like its done in Lagos? This was exactly what Ahmadu Bello was saying in the 60s, you want to dominate your host and dictate how they live in their own land, wasn't your people that put an end to the first republic via coup d'etal? A year later raised war against their own country? and Chimamanda still asking if one is more Nigeria than the other, the answer is obvious because the last time I checked the meaning of patriotism its devotion or commitment to ones country. Something your people don't seem to have enough of.

can you mention just one tribe or one name of any man that has ever attempted to contest elections in the east. The igbos started trying to win in Yorubaland since the days of Zik. You need to travel small.

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by superstar1(m): 9:51am On Apr 11, 2015
OdenigboAroli2:

Don't expect anything to change in this country, the oba will keep ranting and more state governors will keep trying to curtail igbos. Nothing will change so, One Nigeria!

Who are the igbos? Nobody in the scheme of things. Lost in their bid to retain their ruling-by-proxy president. Wish your states and your people are naturally accommodating to others. Alas, you are the direct synonym of UNACCOMMODATING.

Of course ONE NIGERIA and RIP Biafra forever and ever. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by maum: 9:52am On Apr 11, 2015
VirginFinder:

Most ibo Nairalanders are semi-literate just like you.
I cant fathom why.
It's 'curse' not 'course'.

@OP ibos should stick to their business and stay out of our local politics.
Any attempt to dabble into it will spell doom as we can all see.
That's all!

Attempt to dabble in politics?

Pray, tell me, what was THEIR attempt this time?

The fear by some persons that majority of Igbos (because it can't be all Igbos) will vote another candidate. Someone that's Yoruba? Someone I'm sure some other Yorubas and other tribes will vote also and not just Igbo?

Kindly tell me sir, in what way did they dabble in politics in this case?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by iretiland: 9:52am On Apr 11, 2015
Did Adichie write very passionately about the Chibok girls just days after their abduction?
She noted people's comment about the huge vote figures returned from the SE for GEJ during the presidential election, but failed to feel for those killed or denied voting rights because they were sympathisers of APC. That suggests she doesn't believe that rigging is bad so long as it is done for her candidate of choice.

Adichie the ethnic champion, following in the footsteps of her mentors.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply)

Dambaba Suntai Is Dead / Boko Haram Members Killed In Biu (Photo) / The New Face Of Aso Rock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.