Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,519 members, 7,812,612 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. (70705 Views)

Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. / Checkout Photo Of Ben Murray Bruce With His Mum, Circa In 1976 / Isale Eko In 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by yokiti: 1:30pm On Apr 13, 2015
Mynd44:

I did not say there are only 5 but the last I heard was there are 5..there might be more though

I know the Alaafin, Olubadan, Ooni are among.

Perhaps the Deji of Akure and Soun of Oshogbo (not sure of the Soun though)
Olubadan is not a first class Oba in Yoruba land.
By the way, its Ataoja of Osogbo and not Soun which is for Ogbomoso.

4 Likes

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Nobody: 1:32pm On Apr 13, 2015
Isale Eko
Nibe sa ni Orisun
Adamu Orisa

OKolaba
Ologede
Eyo Oniko
Eyo Agere

Isale Eko
Awa loni won
Tiwa lon se
Bi egbe eran wa
Nibe lon de Ade

Ade Ori Oba wa
Odi inu Iga
Iga Idugaran, Iga Ile Ola

Ki Ade pe lori Rilwan Akiolu Osuolale I

Eyo Esua !! Huhuhu Hahaha

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Mynd44: 1:32pm On Apr 13, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol.

That is just politics.

Till today, the Oba of Lagos is the head of all the Kings in Lagos State

http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/pagelinks.php?p=8

Oh the title changed to Oba when the Capital of Nigeria was moved to Abuja
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by SirShymexx: 1:33pm On Apr 13, 2015
Mynd44:

I did not say there are only 5 but the last I heard was there are 5..there might be more though

Perhaps the Deji of Akure and Soun of Oshogbo (not sure of the Soun though)

Who made Olubadan a first class king? Loooooool. They nuked Yoruba culture with that, especially with a kingship that isn't really legit lol.

You don't know what a first class king is.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Mynd44: 1:33pm On Apr 13, 2015
yokiti:

Olubadan is not a first class Oba in Yoruba land.
By the way, its Ataoja of Osogbo and not Soun which is for Ogbomoso.
Sorry, Soun of Ogbomosho.

The Olubadan is debatable
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Mynd44: 1:34pm On Apr 13, 2015
SirShymexx:

Who made Olubadan a first class king? Loooooool. They nuked Yoruba culture with that, especially with a kingship that isn't really legit lol.

You don't know what a first class king is.
As if you know what a first class king is to think any Oba in Lagos is one
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Rilwayne001: 1:34pm On Apr 13, 2015
Alfamann:
Maybe those ones deserve some respect but the most recent calling himself ewu-olu is a shame to mankind.

Poo

4 Likes

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by yokiti: 1:35pm On Apr 13, 2015
KIRIJI:
Isale Eko
Nibe sa ni Orisun
Adamu Orisa

OKolaba
Ologede
Eyo Oniko
Eyo Agere

Isale Eko
Awa loni won
Tiwa lon se
Bi egbe eran wa
Nibe lon de Ade

Ade Ori Oba wa
Odi inu Iga
Iga Idugaran, Iga Ile Ola

Ki Ade pe lori Rilwan Akiolu Osuolale I

Eyo Esua !! Huhuhu Hahaha

King Wasiu Ayinde Marshal (Kwam 1)

13 Likes

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by SirShymexx: 1:36pm On Apr 13, 2015
Mynd44:

Not politics, the truth

I dunno but if that is the truth, then it is just ceremonial. The rest is politics.

Then again, the Oba of Lagos has never had that much power traditionally anyway. The idejo chiefs run things.

2 Likes

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Rilwayne001: 1:37pm On Apr 13, 2015
Mynd44:

Now you know.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by SirShymexx: 1:38pm On Apr 13, 2015
Mynd44:

As if you know what a first class king is to think any Oba in Lagos is one

Lol.

Well, I thought they made him a first class king due to the status of Lagos, and cos he is the most popular king in Lagos. Hence I asked.

But Olubadan can Never be a first class - that is a slap on Yoruba culture.

2 Likes

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Mynd44: 1:39pm On Apr 13, 2015
SirShymexx:

I dunno but if that is the truth, then it is just ceremonial. The rest is politics.

Then again, the Oba of Lagos has never had that much power traditionally anyway. The idejo chiefs run things.
I just gave the link to where the Oba of Lagos runs the traditional affairs in the state.

Quit arguing
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Mynd44: 1:40pm On Apr 13, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Now you know.
Tell that to sirshymexx
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by forgiveness: 1:40pm On Apr 13, 2015
Mynd44:

Perhaps the Deji of Akure and Soun of Ogbomosho (not sure of the Soun though)

i think olubadan is not among.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Mynd44: 1:41pm On Apr 13, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol.

Well, I thought they made him a first class king due to the status of Lagos, and cos he is the most popular king in Lagos. Hence I asked.

But Olubadan can Never be a first class - that is a slap on Yoruba culture.
The day they make Oba of Lagos a first class is the day the Awujale becomes one too grin
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by yokiti: 1:42pm On Apr 13, 2015
Mynd44:

Sorry, Soun of Ogbomosho.

The Olubadan is debatable
we may be mentioning Olubadan because of the political importance of Ibadan to Yoruba land and maybe its being a large city. Anything apart from that is a no no.
Where do you put
Olowu of Owu
Alaketu of Ketu
Oba of Benin (some might not agree)
Olupopo of Popo
Onisabe of Sabe
Orangun of Ila.
Owa obokun of Ijesha-land
Though some of these kings may not be too relevant because of the status of their kingdom in the present day Yoruba land affairs; we will be revising history wrongly if we fail to give them the required credit.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by SirShymexx: 1:44pm On Apr 13, 2015
Mynd44:

I just gave the link to where the Oba of Lagos runs the traditional affairs in the state.

Quit arguing

Lol.

I hear that.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Mynd44: 1:47pm On Apr 13, 2015
yokiti:

we may be mentioning Olubadan because of the political importance of Ibadan to Yoruba land and maybe its being a large city. Anything apart from that is a no no.
Where do you put
Olowu of Owu
Alaketu of Ketu
Oba of Benin (some might not agree)
Olupopo of Popo
Onisabe of Sabe
Orangun of Ila.
Owa obokun of Ijesha-land
Though some of these kings may not be too relevant because of the status of their kingdom in the present day Yoruba land affairs; we will be revising history wrongly if we fail to give them the required credit.
That is the problem the military caused when they decided to start grading the Obas with how much support they got from each.

You can also add the Ewi Of Ado to the list

I don't even know if they put the Oba of Benin among the kings in Yorubaland again.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by forgiveness: 1:47pm On Apr 13, 2015
There is a saying that Oba o ju Oba lo.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Rilwayne001: 1:48pm On Apr 13, 2015
Mynd44:

Wrong. The Eleko of Eko is different from the Oba of Lagos but in a way similar. The difference is the control they have.

The Eleko's territory is limited to Lagos Island and environs but that changed when the constitution made the crown the head of all traditional crowns in Lagos state. At this point, the Oba of Lagos was coined as the Oba of Lagos is the Oba of Lagos State not just Lagos Island like the Eleko

Are you trying to tell us that the "Eleko of Eko" is a different from "Oba of Lagos" in person?
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by nduchucks: 1:49pm On Apr 13, 2015
Rilwayne001:
The eleko of eko is not a ceremonial oba, contrary to what some ignoramus were spreading aroun.

Proudly yoruba cool

Nice historical post there.

While Eleko of Eko was not a ceremonial oba back in the 1950s, I'm afraid there is no room for anything other than ceremonial responsibilities for Obas in the current dispensation.

This irresponsible practice of supporting Obas and Emirs with state and federal funds and allowing them to meddle in our political affairs need to be terminated. These state funds are illegally, simply given to them by Governors and even Presidents.

The Obas, Ezes, and Emirs can get real jobs like the rest of Nigerian citizens. If their "subjects" want to mantain certain lifestyles for their Oba, let them go and pass local council ordinances or ask their state legislators to approve state or local income taxes to support the, now lazy ass rougue Obas. nansense.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Arch1: 1:50pm On Apr 13, 2015
Nice one. I also think this should be on the FP. Mods, do the needful
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Mynd44: 1:52pm On Apr 13, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Are you trying to tell us that the "Eleko of Eko" is a different from "Oba of Lagos" in person?
I went further to explain that

"The Eleko's territory is limited to Lagos Island and environs but that changed when the constitution made the crown the head of all traditional crowns in Lagos state. At this point, the Oba of Lagos was coined as the Oba of Lagos which is the Oba of Lagos State not just Lagos Island like the Eleko"
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Mynd44: 1:54pm On Apr 13, 2015
nduchucks:

While Eleko of Eko was not a ceremonial oba back in the 1950s, I'm afraid there is no room for anything other than ceremonial responsibilities for Obas in the current dispensation.

This irresponsible practice of supporting Obas and Emirs with state and federal funds and allowing them to meddle in our political affairs need to be terminated. These state funds are illegally, simply given to them by Governors and even Presidents.

The Obas, Ezes, and Emirs can get real jobs like the rest of Nigerian citizens. If their "subjects" want to mantain certain lifestyles for their Oba, let them go and pass local council ordinances or ask their state legislators to approve state or local income taxes to support the, now lazy ass rougue Obas. nansense.
Yeah yeah yeah

Tell the royal family in Britain to go get jobs first

Although I support your argument

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Rilwayne001: 2:01pm On Apr 13, 2015
Mynd44:

I went further to explain that

"The Eleko's territory is limited to Lagos Island and environs but that changed when the constitution made the crown the head of all traditional crowns in Lagos state. At this point, the Oba of Lagos was coined as the Oba of Lagos which is the Oba of Lagos State not just Lagos Island like the Eleko"

Okay, but what do you mean in the below comment?

Mynd44:

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Mynd44: 2:03pm On Apr 13, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Okay, but what do you mean in the below comment?

The title "Eleko,of Lagos" was changed to "Oba of Lagos" when the capital was moved to Abuja. That does not mean the person wearing the crown changes but his duties grew and he became the Traditional ruler of the state
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by integralng: 2:04pm On Apr 13, 2015
Mynd44:

Perhaps the Deji of Akure and Soun of Ogbomosho (not sure of the Soun though)
. You classified Olubadan as a First Class King but questioned that of Eleko of Eko(Oba of Lagos)...Ol boy,you need to get your Yoruba History book dusted,if you have any...I don't know your criteria at arriving at 'First Class' but let me inform you that Olubadan title used to be for a Baale of Ibadan...I won't say more than that for now

4 Likes

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by seunmsg(m): 2:05pm On Apr 13, 2015
nduchucks:

Traditional rulers play more than ceremonial roles in different states based on various laws establishing the traditional councils. They perform advisory roles to the government in most states. Their funding is also not illegal as you termed it because their is an existing federal law that provides that traditional institutions should be funded by at least 5% of the Local government monthly allocation.

2 Likes

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Mynd44: 2:05pm On Apr 13, 2015
integralng:
. You classified Olubadan as a First Class King but questioned that of Eleko of Eko(Oba of Lagos)...Ol boy,you need to get your Yoruba History book dusted,if you have any...I don't know your criteria at arriving at 'First Class' but let me inform you that Olubadan title used to be for a Baale of Ibadan...I won't say more than that for now
I agree I got the Olubadan wrong but the Oba of Lagos is not on the level of the Alaafin and Ooni
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Mynd44: 2:08pm On Apr 13, 2015
seunmsg:

Traditional rulers play more than ceremonial roles in different states based on various laws establishing the traditional councils. They perform advisory roles to the government in most states. Their funding is also not illegal as you termed it because their is an existing federal law that provides that traditional institutions should be funded by at least 5% of the Local government monthly allocation.
And in a way, they form a sort of representative of the people to the government.

Their duties also include conflict resolution, they are authorized to conduct marriage ceremonies(they get registers from the local government) and they are also important when it comes to making laws.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by guy1234: 2:11pm On Apr 13, 2015
Please guys, where and how can someone lay hands on a very comprehensive and detailed literature on Yoruba history?
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by eposho: 2:13pm On Apr 13, 2015
bet ORIGIN wasn't discovered then.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Female Student Burnt Alive Over Blasphemy In Sokoto / David Lyon Visits Bola Tinubu With Timipre Sylva (Photos) / Nnamdi Kanu Blasts Buhari, His Wife And Others In Fresh Broadcast From Israel.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.