Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,522 members, 7,812,630 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:28 PM

Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. (70707 Views)

Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. / Checkout Photo Of Ben Murray Bruce With His Mum, Circa In 1976 / Isale Eko In 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Nobody: 3:48pm On Apr 13, 2015
seunfly:

Thanks, i tried to remember, i guess it is very long time since primary school days.

osemawe.

Lol bro it happens.

You should not leave Yoruba history o, keep on reading and reading, there's a lot to discover in it for self-discovery as a Yoruba person.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by IDeyNL: 3:50pm On Apr 13, 2015
ibedun:

Nduchucks, why are your arguments always so throretical without any basis in reality? I have always benchmarked any theoretical or idealistic assumptions and premises against what obtains in reality. The constitution its self does not always apply in practice. Racial equality is a constitutional requirement in many of the countries we look up to but the reality is so so different. Just like Nigeria's constitution says you can live anywhere and vote and be voted for but I wouldnt go to a rural area of Sokoto and drag that with them. I wont even go to Bayelsa to drag any issues with the local.

We are happy for the budgetary provisions for our Obas in Yorubaland and i am sure the Northerners feel the same about their Emirs. As I am sure you know there is nothing royal about the "Eze" title, it has no historical basis and it is nothing but a "hush-hush" creation to give the Igbos some semblance of antiquity or some kind of "follow join".

Ibedun, why bring the Igbos into this discuss? Why do you want to ruin this thread? Don't start tribalism. And a moderator is on this thread without doing any thing.

Please be guided.

2 Likes

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by seunfly: 3:52pm On Apr 13, 2015
9jacrip:

Lol bro it happens.

You should not leave Yoruba history o, keep on reading and reading, there's a lot to discover in it for self-discovery as a Yoruba person.

One of this days I will try go home and get this books.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by reborn1: 3:53pm On Apr 13, 2015
Mynd44:

I guess you missed where it said the Oba of Lagos if the Head of all the Obas in Lagos state.

You know what, never mind sef

He is not the Oba of all Lagos state. He is just the chairman of all Obas in Lagos, they even classify him as Oba Island and Oloto of otto as Oba mainland. He does not have influence in Badagry, Epe and even Ikorodu.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by omonnakoda: 3:54pm On Apr 13, 2015
9jacrip:
The issue of classing king to me makes no sense and mostly 'political'.

There is no official classing of kings in Yoruba land, every king knows his level/rating without being told.

Although, it basically begins with the 8 original crowns after Oduduwa.

There is no such thing as Yorubaland.Maybe people need to go back and restudy.Note I did not say reread so called Yoruba history .One of the major objectors to the formation of Egbe Omo Oduduwa did so on the grounds that,in his belief, Not everyone is Omo Oduduwa.
We need to be clear about what is an Oyo narrative and then to understand that there are alternatives less ubiquitous but equally valid.Nigeria makes it necessary for us to identify as Yoruba but to say we are Yoruba has about as much validity as trying to unite all Arabs in one nation.
Oduduwa was probably Edo or even Kanuri and was able through his sons to establish a dynasty but it was not all encompassing

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Pebcak: 3:57pm On Apr 13, 2015
KIRIJI:
Isale Eko
Nibe sa ni Orisun
Adamu Orisa

OKolaba
Ologede
Eyo Oniko
Eyo Agere

Isale Eko
Awa loni won
Tiwa lon se
Bi egbe eran wa
Nibe lon de Ade

Ade Ori Oba wa
Odi inu Iga
Iga Idugaran, Iga Ile Ola

Ki Ade pe lori Rilwan Akiolu Osuolale I

Eyo Esua !! Huhuhu Hahaha

Wa gbayi
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Nobody: 4:02pm On Apr 13, 2015
This is when Obas where not in the pockets of politicians and not taking bribes. Oba Lil Wayne should stop desecrating the Royal Stool with his greedy affiliation with politics and politicians.

2 Likes

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by SirShymexx: 4:04pm On Apr 13, 2015
reborn1:

He is not the Oba of all Lagos state. He is just the chairman of all Obas in Lagos, they even classify him as Oba Island and Oloto of otto as Oba mainland. He does not have influence in Badagry, Epe and even Ikorodu.

Lol.

That was what I was trying to tell him discreetly without derailing the thread - but it seems the youngin' just loves like arguing to hear what he sounds like. Lool

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by aresa: 4:08pm On Apr 13, 2015
LAGrejectIBO:
This picture is Prince Ladoja Adele, not Oba Adele.

Please correct!

Dont know what you are talking about. Check your own facts.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by reborn1: 4:10pm On Apr 13, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol.

That was what I was trying to tell him discreetly without derailing the thread - but it seems the youngin' just loves like arguing to hear what he sounds like. Lool

Lolz. It seems Myndd is from Isale Eko. However, I think people mistake him for the Oba of all Lagos state Obas cos of the tittle Oba of Lagos. There is difference between Lagos and Lagos state, Eleko is just Oba of Lagos and Permanent Chairman of all Lagos state Obas.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by reborn1: 4:12pm On Apr 13, 2015
[s]
Billyonaire:
This is when Obas where not in the pockets of politicians and not taking bribes. Oba Lil Wayne should stop desecrating the Royal Stool with his greedy affiliation with politics and politicians.
[/s]

Virtual billionaire, you cant derail this lovely thread. Try again later.

13 Likes

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Nobody: 4:12pm On Apr 13, 2015
omonnakoda:
There is no such thing as Yorubaland.Maybe people need to go back and restudy.Note I did not say reread so called Yoruba history .One of the major objectors to the formation of Egbe Omo Oduduwa did so on the grounds that,in his belief, Not everyone is Omo Oduduwa.
We need to be clear about what is an Oyo narrative and then to understand that there are alternatives less ubiquitous but equally valid.Nigeria makes it necessary for us to identify as Yoruba but to say we are Yoruba has about as much validity as trying to unite all Arabs in one nation.
Oduduwa was probably Edo or even Kanuri and was able through his sons to establish a dynasty but it was not all encompassing

Yes, you are right that not every town or kingdoms descended from Oduduwa - pre oduduwa period, some towns were already in existence or came into existence at the dame time such as Igbomina but saying there is no such thing as Yoruba land is debatable.

My argument is that, linguistically towns in western Nigerian are all wired together, kingship structure as well as war and diplomatic relations over the years - which spread as far as Benin and Togo. Those factors and some others have forged us into a single unit.

And if you are arguing Yoruba as an encompassing nomenclature then every town asides Oyo could detach itself from being called Yoruba but then what do we call ourselves after eons of shared history?

I think the spread of the use of Oduduwa name was due to conquests of his sons and acclaimed sons, Oyo conquests and kings seeking to validate their thrones but then, we have all, over many centuries evolved to become Yoruba.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Nobody: 4:13pm On Apr 13, 2015
seunfly:

One of this days I will try go home and get this books.

Please do bro.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by nduchucks: 4:23pm On Apr 13, 2015
LAGrejectIBO:

The Native laws preceeded the Constitution. The Native laws were formally adopted in the Constitutiin and called Customary. The Constitution recognizes Customary laws and their courts.

Customary laws in Yotubaland are under custody of Ogboni, who report to traditional rulers. So by removing Oba you disturb a balance and therefore go against statutory mandates extended by the Constitution in recognition of Oba's power.

Nonsense!!

What native and customary law can override the constitution and allow Governors and the President to use unbudgeted and illegal government funds to essentially buy the support of the Obas and Emirs? There is no room for such customary laws in the current dispensation.

Archaic customary laws which support nonsense must be jettisoned.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Nobody: 4:23pm On Apr 13, 2015
reborn1:
[s][/s]

Virtual billionaire, you cant derail this lovely thread. Try again later.
Are you Oba Lil Wayne ? Why do you support him and not me, your fellow nairalander.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by omonnakoda: 4:25pm On Apr 13, 2015
9jacrip:

Yes, you are right that not every town or kingdoms descended from Oduduwa - pre oduduwa period, some towns were already in existence or came into existence at the dame time such as Igbomina but saying there is no such thing as Yoruba land is debatable.

My argument is that, linguistically towns in western Nigerian are all wired together, kingship structure as well as war and diplomatic relations over the years - which spread as far as Benin and Togo. Those factors and some others have forged us into a single unit.

And if you are arguing Yoruba as an encompassing nomenclature then every town asides Oyo could detach itself from being called Yoruba but then what do we call ourselves after eons of shared history?

I think the spread of the use of Oduduwa name was due to conquests of his sons and acclaimed sons, Oyo conquests and kings seeking to validate their thrones but then, we have all, over many centuries evolved to become Yoruba.

being wire together maybe single unit definitely not .At least not any more that the arabs of Yemen and Saudi Arabia or Morocco and Tunisia. That same single unit argument is equally true for Nigeria as distinct from Ghana.There is acually such a thing as a NIGERIAN ACCENT. If one looks hard enough Mr Ibu is quite handsome you just need to concentrate
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by nduchucks: 4:25pm On Apr 13, 2015
seunmsg:

Their is no federal law that establishes traditional council as at today. Issues concerning traditional institutions are legislated upon by the state government. So, it is for the various state governments to make laws creating the traditional councils in there states. The laws varies from state to state so I can't start siting all of them.

Thanks. The states should also include entries in their budgets to fund these Obas and Emirs, instead of illegally using the people's money to buy favors from the Obas and illegally influence elections.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Rilwayne001: 4:26pm On Apr 13, 2015
Billyonaire:

Whats this one saying?

8 Likes

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by zimoni(f): 4:26pm On Apr 13, 2015
guy1234:
Please guys, where and how can someone lay hands on a very comprehensive and detailed literature on Yoruba history?

Contact Prof Kiriji, Prof Katsomoto or Prof Macof.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by nduchucks: 4:26pm On Apr 13, 2015
Mynd44:

This is not limited to the traditional rulers na. Almost every sector on Nigeria is like that.

It should be stopped but cancelling funding to them completely won't work. Corruptly taking money out of the money allocated is criminal

I agree with you. The bolded is what currently obtains in every state and must be eradicated.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Nobody: 4:27pm On Apr 13, 2015
reborn1:

Lolz. It seems Myndd is from Isale Eko. However, I think people mistake him for the Oba of all Lagos state Obas cos of the tittle Oba of Lagos. There is difference between Lagos and Lagos state, Eleko is just Oba of Lagos and Permanent Chairman of all Lagos state Obas.

Most/many people do not know this but I do not blame them.

The idejo have been so relegated to the shadows of Eleko or Eko (Lagos Island) that people think him to be the shot caller of the entire cultural sphere of the state.

If the Idejo families start coming upfront and placing themselves in the fore front of Lagos politically and socially, I do not think people would confuse the place and roles of Eleko nor question the status of Lagos as a people's land as opposed to no man's land.

4 Likes

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by nduchucks: 4:32pm On Apr 13, 2015
ibedun:

We are happy for the budgetary provisions for our Obas in Yorubaland and i am sure the Northerners feel the same about their Emirs. As I am sure you know there is nothing royal about the "Eze" title, it has no historical basis and it is nothing but a "hush-hush" creation to give the Igbos some semblance of antiquity or some kind of "follow join".

Again it is not enough to make assertions unsupported by facts and expect us to believe you. Here is your opportuniuty to show us a single budgetary provision for Obas in any SW state's budget in the last 15 years.

I will withdraw my statement if you do that and expect you to withdraw yours if you cannot provide any evidence to support your statement.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Nobody: 4:33pm On Apr 13, 2015
guy1234:
Please guys, where and how can someone lay hands on a very comprehensive and detailed literature on Yoruba history?

Samuel Johnson

Prof Ade Ajayi

Saburi Biobaku

Prof Toyin Falola

Daniel O Fagunwa

Prof Kunle Lawal (Lagos History)

These are some I can recall now, they have a number of hot works under their belts. Google their names and you'll find their works but I'll recommend you go to UI or OaU bookshop in order to find purchase.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Nobody: 4:37pm On Apr 13, 2015
omonnakoda:
being wire together maybe single unit definitely not .At least not any more that the arabs of Yemen and Saudi Arabia or Morocco and Tunisia. That same single unit argument is equally true for Nigeria as distinct from Ghana.There is acually such a thing as a NIGERIAN ACCENT. If one looks hard enough Mr Ibu is quite handsome you just need to concentrate

Bro, I get your point.
Chronological historical dynamics of Yoruba and Arabs are very different.

Even our kin in Benin Republic and Togo strongly identify with us and at a point Awolowo I think raised the issue of unifying us as a single entity but with borders drawn and government set up, what unifies us across borders include but not limited to language, belief system, kingship system, social structure etc.

3 Likes

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by zimoni(f): 4:37pm On Apr 13, 2015
Mynd, you've successfully changed the destiny of this thread.

Okare Laye.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Zeus777: 4:39pm On Apr 13, 2015
seunfly:

Oboy!!!!! That name go fear you ooooo, you will know he is real traditional man. Esugbayi = Adoration to Satan or Satan has respect.
ur assertion shows u REALY do not understand the yoruba tradition and spirituality. Esu isn't in anyway thesame as satan. Mythology or reality , they are different entity

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by mmsen: 4:46pm On Apr 13, 2015
Mynd44:

Wrong. The Eleko of Eko is different from the Oba of Lagos but in a way similar. The difference is the control they have.

The Eleko's territory is limited to Lagos Island and environs but that changed when the constitution made the crown the head of all traditional crowns in Lagos state. At this point, the Oba of Lagos was coined as the Oba of Lagos is the Oba of Lagos State not just Lagos Island like the Eleko

What purpose do they serve?

How are their activities funded?
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by omonnakoda: 4:46pm On Apr 13, 2015
9jacrip:

Bro, I get your point.
Chronological historical dynamics of Yoruba and Arabs are very different.

Even our kin in Benin Republic and Togo strongly identify with us and at a point Awolowo I think raised the issue of unifying us as a single entity but with borders drawn and government set up, what unifies us across borders include but not limited to language, belief system, kingship system, social structure etc.

Arabs STRONGLY identify with each other they even have an Arab league,went to war with israel because of Palestine and Saudis bank roll Egypt. Chronology ? I am afraid I do not see the relevance. The point I am making is that there was never a Yoruba Nation just as there never was an Arab Nation.For those bits that fell under Oyo the relationship was of a vassal bringing TRIBUTE. It was an Empire not a Nation.

There are countless examples of such AFFINITIES e.g Scots and English etc Now in 1891 there was a Census in Lagos and people identified themselves by ethnic group s Ijebu,Egba,Ekiti Nupe etc Yoruba not recorded? Was this a coincidence. The people who were known as Yoruba were OYO. Outside Nigeria which you refer to they are called Anago and not Yoruba. There is an encysted population in Ugbodu,Delta state of Lucumi speakers they decline to be called Yoruba not because they are being oppositional but because they know their history and they are NOT Yoruba just as thousands of Hausa speakers in Northern Nigeria are not Hausa . It is important to study history well to understand how nations and empires come about and the role that proximity plays.We are told in the Bible that Jesus was a Jew but what language did he actually speak and WHY?

2 Likes

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by reborn1: 4:47pm On Apr 13, 2015
9jacrip:

Most/many people do not know this but I do not blame them.

The idejo have been so relegated to the shadows of Eleko or Eko (Lagos Island) that people think him to be the shot caller of the entire cultural sphere of the state.

If the Idejo families start coming upfront and placing themselves in the fore front of Lagos politically and socially, I do not think people would confuse the place and roles of Eleko nor question the status of Lagos as a people's land as opposed to no man's land.

You are absolutely right. The Ojoras, Onikoyis, Onirus, Aromire, Oluwas and even the Otos are just watching by the sides which is very bad.

3 Likes

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by blessedapple: 4:49pm On Apr 13, 2015
KIRIJI:
Oba Oyekan I 1885-1900

Is this a woman?
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by TonySpike: 4:49pm On Apr 13, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol.

That is just politics.

Hey Bro!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Female Student Burnt Alive Over Blasphemy In Sokoto / David Lyon Visits Bola Tinubu With Timipre Sylva (Photos) / Nnamdi Kanu Blasts Buhari, His Wife And Others In Fresh Broadcast From Israel.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.