Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,197 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:32 AM

. - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / . (10908 Views)

Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. / Do African Americans Have A Culture? / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: . by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jun 01, 2015
pleep:

LOL! First off black people sold other black people as slaves to the whites. This is a fact

Yes. Africans sold Africans as slaves. Isn't ironic that Africans are now fighting to get into America to take advantage of opportunities created by the descendants of slaves?

pleep:
Also, most of the dysfunction, broken families, drug use criminality etc in black people were not observed in the decades following the emancipation of slaves, but rather started very recently in the modern age. Black peoples problems are self inflicted WAKE UP

During slavery, black men and women were not allowed to marry. They could cohabit, however, at any given time a "wife", "husband" or "child" could be sold off the plantation thus destroying their family.

From AAregistry.com: "Under slavery, nearly all blacks lived separated from relatives. Reconstruction provided the opportunity to solidify their family ties. One Northern reporter in 1865 encountered a freedman who actually walked more than 600 miles from Georgia to North Carolina, searching for the wife and children from whom he had been sold away. Control of their family life was essential to the former slaves’ definition of freedom." You should read the rest of the article to understand how things got better and than worse for black people following slavery. Its here: http://www.aaregistry.org/historic_events/view/reconstruction-americas-first-attempt-integrate

Marriage, across America, has been declining. Not just in the black community as you are implying.

Here's an article about it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/01/marriage-rates_n_5915648.html

The introduction of drugs has indeed played a large role in the destruction of the black American community

But black American people don't own any poppy fields (heroin) or coca trees (cocaine). Nor do we own factories to manufacture heroin or cocaine. We also don't own planes to fly cocaine or heroin into America so please ask yourself how is that the drugs make it into the black community?

Here's an article about the Central Intelligence Agency's involvement with the distribution of crack cocaine in the black community: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/10/gary-webb-dark-alliance_n_5961748.html

Statistics show that white Americans use drugs more than black people. Black people, however, are more likely to go to jail for drug offenses.

Article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/17/racial-disparity-drug-use_n_3941346.html

Furthermore, one look at the Nairaland crime section will show that there is no less crime in Nigeria than black America. Different types of crime but not less.

Brutalities against blacks began the moment that black people stepped off the slave ships. We were regularly whipped, beat, and mutilated by white slave owners. Black women were regularly raped by their white slave owners. These activities were upheld by the law.

Even after slavery, lynchings of black men, women, and children by white mobs were commonplace up until the 1960's. In fact, they were events. Entire White communities got dressed up to attend the hangings of black men, women and children.

During the Civil Rights movement, police officers regularly brutalized PEACEFUL protestors including Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (please watch the movie Selma). That "police brutality is only a symptom of the bleeped up situation black people have CAUSED for themselves" is a completely inaccurate statement on so many levels.

The real problem with black people all over the world is that we're full of self hate, we have inferiority complexes, distrust of each other, and we don't work together. Black people in a America and Africa will be oppressed until we learn to overcome that.

If you disagree, that's fine. I won't respond again.

3 Likes

Re: . by tpiadotcom: 9:46pm On Jun 01, 2015
was the man with the scars ever identified?

His picture is circulated everywhere- who was he?
Re: . by AAinEqGuinea: 10:25pm On Jun 01, 2015
AABeauty:

Yes. Africans sold Africans as slaves. Isn't ironic that Africans are now fighting to get into America to take advantage of opportunities created by the descendants of slaves?

During slavery, black men and women were not allowed to marry. They could cohabit, however, at any given time a "wife", "husband" or "child" could be sold off the plantation thus destroying their family.

From AAregistry.com: "Under slavery, nearly all blacks lived separated from relatives. Reconstruction provided the opportunity to solidify their family ties. One Northern reporter in 1865 encountered a freedman who actually walked more than 600 miles from Georgia to North Carolina, searching for the wife and children from whom he had been sold away. Control of their family life was essential to the former slaves’ definition of freedom." You should read the rest of the article to understand how things got better and than worse for black people following slavery. Its here: http://www.aaregistry.org/historic_events/view/reconstruction-americas-first-attempt-integrate

Marriage, across America, has been declining. Not just in the black community as you are implying.

Here's an article about it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/01/marriage-rates_n_5915648.html

The introduction of drugs has indeed played a large role in the destruction of the black American community

But black American people don't own any poppy fields (heroin) or coca trees (cocaine). Nor do we own factories to manufacture heroin or cocaine. We also don't own planes to fly cocaine or heroin into America so please ask yourself how is that the drugs make it into the black community?

Here's an article about the Central Intelligence Agency's involvement with the distribution of crack cocaine in the black community: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/10/gary-webb-dark-alliance_n_5961748.html

Statistics show that white Americans use drugs more than black people. Black people, however, are more likely to go to jail for drug offenses.

Article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/17/racial-disparity-drug-use_n_3941346.html

Furthermore, one look at the Nairaland crime section will show that there is no less crime in Nigeria than black America. Different types of crime but not less.

Brutalities against blacks began the moment that black people stepped off the slave ships. We were regularly whipped, beat, and mutilated by white slave owners. Black women were regularly raped by their white slave owners. These activities were upheld by the law.

Even after slavery, lynchings of black men, women, and children by white mobs were commonplace up until the 1960's. In fact, they were events. Entire White communities got dressed up to attend the hangings of black men, women and children.

During the Civil Rights movement, police officers regularly brutalized PEACEFUL protestors including Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (please watch the movie Selma). That "police brutality is only a symptom of the bleeped up situation black people have CAUSED for themselves" is a completely inaccurate statement on so many levels.

The real problem with black people all over the world is that we're full of self hate, we have inferiority complexes, distrust of each other, and we don't work together. Black people in a America and Africa will be oppressed until we learn to overcome that.

Poser grin cool
Re: . by Curlieweed: 12:55am On Jun 02, 2015
khiaa:

African Americans will never greatly invest in Africa with the mentality that some of the Africans have, like this bafoon you are posting to. I do agree that there will have to be atonement and sincere remorse for the past, but above all TRUST is an issue that would be the hardest thing to achieve.

CAN WE TRUST THEM going by the past and present? Their greed is overwhelming. Their leaders are so greedy that they would sell their people into slavery to this day if the white man came to purchase them with lots of cash to pay.
There is no remorse for slavery by them, it was a profitable business caused by greed, the same greed that is present in their descendants today.

Your post is typical of the kind of mutual recriminations I consistently find between continental Africans and those in the diaspora (i will call this group western Blacks). This attitude in my opinion is born out of ignorance on both sides of the divide.

On the one hand, recent African immigrants to the west find the western blacks at the bottom of the social pyramid and rather than understand the historical reasons for that reality go on to blame the victims.

On the other hand, the western Blacks buy into the popular western narrative about the modern Africa being only about poverty, corruption, wars, famines and chaos. They go on to espouse most of the same popular Eurocentric prejudices towards continental African.

Specifically to your post, you said:

I do agree that there will have to be atonement and sincere remorse [/b]for the past, but above all TRUST is an issue that would be the hardest thing to achieve.

CAN WE TRUST THEM going by the past and present? Their greed is overwhelming. [b]Their leaders are so greedy that they would sell their people into slavery to this day if the white man came to purchase them with lots of cash to pay.

There is no remorse for slavery by them, it was a profitable business caused by greed, the same greed that is present in their descendants today

Yes, it is true that Africans sold other Africans as slaves. However, Europeans equally sold other Europeans as slaves. They even have a whole ethnic group called Slavs to prove that. For centuries, the Irish were sold as chattel along with land by English noblemen. A number of the early European settlers in America were bondsmen. Of source the Roman and Greek civilizations (like almost all other ancient civilization were built on the back of slaves). It was just a fact of economics (in the days before the mechanical era).

In my case, a large portion of people I call my relatives today were decendants of slaves acquired by my forbears. I have not seen any situation where they were treated with less than the respect due to people of their age (we are really age conscious). You may have heard of King Jaja of Opobo. He was a slave who through hard work and extraordinary talent became a king. That is the reality of the slavery institution in my part of Africa.

Yes, slave trading was a business and all businesses are built on greed (not that greed is a bad thing). Slavery served a social function and actually saved the lives of war captives, convicts and others who would have otherwise been executed. In the days before family planning, families in dire straits sometimes sold some members to provide for the rest. That is the reality of the trade. The caricature of a stupid African Chief randomly selling some of his own people for trinkets is simply not true. I wonder how long he will last as Chief if he does that.

The scars western Blacks have today isn't because of slavery per se (people from every ethnicity have been enslaved before), but because of the attempts by christian Europeans to justify the obvious conflicts between the form of slavery they practiced and the christianity they professed (and used as justification to steal "heathen" lands).
Re: . by AAinEqGuinea: 2:39am On Jun 02, 2015
Curlieweed:

Your post is typical of the kind of mutual recriminations I consistently find between continental Africans and those in the diaspora (i will call this group western Blacks). This attitude in my opinion is born out of ignorance on both sides of the divide.

On the one hand, recent African immigrants to the west find the western blacks at the bottom of the social pyramid and rather than understand the historical reasons for that reality go on to blame the victims.

On the other hand, the western Blacks buy into the popular western narrative about the modern Africa being only about poverty, corruption, wars, famines and chaos. They go on to espouse most of the same popular Eurocentric prejudices towards continental African.

Specifically to your post, you said:

Yes, it is true that Africans sold other Africans as slaves. However, Europeans equally sold other Europeans as slaves. They even have a whole ethnic group called Slavs to prove that. For centuries, the Irish were sold as chattel along with land by English noblemen. A number of the early European settlers in America were bondsmen. Of source the Roman and Greek civilizations (like almost all other ancient civilization were built on the back of slaves). It was just a fact of economics (in the days before the mechanical era).

In my case, a large portion of people I call my relatives today were decendants of slaves acquired by my forbears. I have not seen any situation where they were treated with less than the respect due to people of their age (we are really age conscious). You may have heard of King Jaja of Opobo. He was a slave who through hard work and extraordinary talent became a king. That is the reality of the slavery institution in my part of Africa.

Yes, slave trading was a business and all businesses are built on greed (not that greed is a bad thing). Slavery served a social function and actually saved the lives of war captives, convicts and others who would have otherwise been executed. In the days before family planning, families in dire straits sometimes sold some members to provide for the rest. That is the reality of the trade. The caricature of a stupid African Chief randomly selling some of his own people for trinkets is simply not true. I wonder how long he will last as Chief if he does that.

The scars western Blacks have today isn't because of slavery per se (people from every ethnicity have been enslaved before), but because of the attempts by christian Europeans to justify the obvious conflicts between the form of slavery they practiced and the christianity they professed (and used as justification to steal "heathen" lands).

I wish we moved on passed slavery, many African Americans use it as an excuse on why they still need to act criminal, barbaric, and/or lost and Africans use it as some sort ancestral glamor as if by their ancestors unmatched wit and charm alone to single-handedly conquer neighboring tribes.

Little to no mention is given to how all were ultimately played and little to no attention is given to how all Blacks are still mentally enslaved to the point where its a damn shame to be Black and bring kids into this world. This type of slavery trumps physical slavery at any point in history. If you think I'm exaggerating, lets begin here.. Black woman dont want to take you seriously unless you got money with white faces on it (or money whites valued like the Naira) and you speak that good white daddy English you've spent years being smothered by... all these social constructs were foreign to the black man, but today she dont give a damn of how many marveling black faces you can sculpt unless youre selling each face for millions a piece... you have to go to their schools to be anything... their religion is the one you want... i could go on.. my point is we proudly put ourselves in these chains and then many of us judge each other using the same measure of mental enslavement . I laugh at everybody except those proud of their pidgin. White people know they played ("willie lynched" ) all Blacks. White nations know black nations are too dumb to get nukes, and while whites may have created ISIS, Al Qaeda, etc... they gave Boko Haram the rusty, dated AKs and these black fvckers are now happy to kill their own ppl, like many African Americans here.

White people are not that smart as much as we are dumb. Like I've been saying this entire thread, Blacks in America, as in Africa, are their own worst enemy. Just when you thought we were different. grin Easier said than done, but fix the Black on Black problem and you wont need corrupt police for the most part. This is nothing new, the Black Panthers were known for this, but dumb and weak blacks today think the Panthers were only "reversed racists" out to needlessly killing white cops. grin Slavery , chains not needed.
Re: . by tpiadotcom: 2:45am On Jun 02, 2015
you speak that good white daddy English

please make your point without judging people by their accents, thanks.

if you are unable to do so, maybe you should take a break from the thread and return when you can type without bias, sentiment and unnecessary appeals to bigoted emotions.
Re: . by AAinEqGuinea: 2:58am On Jun 02, 2015
tpiadotcom:

please make your point without judging people by their accents, thanks.

if you are unable to do so, maybe you should take a break from the thread and return when you can type without bias, sentiment and unnecessary appeals to bigoted emotions.

English came from Africa? didnt think so, it was a gift from white daddy
Re: . by tpiadotcom: 3:15am On Jun 02, 2015
you can type in another language, did you not know that?

type in African if you like.
Re: . by AAinEqGuinea: 3:24am On Jun 02, 2015
tpiadotcom:
you can type in another language, did you not know that?

type in African if you like.

teach me Biafran... cool cool

1 Like

Re: . by tpiadotcom: 3:31am On Jun 02, 2015
AAinEqGuinea:

teach me Biafran... cool cool

is there a reason for this request?

I don't like smartasses, say whatever it is you are trying to say, in plain English and quit beating around the bush.

if you cant voice it out, then don't waste my time.
Re: . by AAinEqGuinea: 3:36am On Jun 02, 2015
tpiadotcom:

is there a reason for this request?

I don't like smartasses, say whatever it is you are trying to say, in plain English and quit beating around the bush.

if you cant voice it out, then don't waste my time.

I plan on visiting sometime in this life. Don't worry, I'll pick up what I need from nairalanders when it's that time. Thanks
Re: . by tpiadotcom: 3:40am On Jun 02, 2015
so, that is my concern because. . . . . . . . . . . .
Re: . by pleep(m): 4:44am On Jun 08, 2015
AABeauty:

I think we should all meet up and hold hands, singing kumbaiyah, celebrating our roots and bla bla fukin bla.

Or we could stop playing the victim and grow up.

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 3:31am On Jun 09, 2015
pleep:

I think we should all meet up and hold hands, singing kumbaiyah, celebrating our roots and bla bla fukin bla.

Or we could stop playing the victim and grow up.

I actually agree with you. We didn't create the problem but we can stop it.
Re: . by Nobody: 7:42am On Jun 09, 2015
hahn:

Obviously, YOU are the ignorant one here. Blacks put themselves under suppression. How? Whenever they witness a crime in the "hood" and decide to "keep it real" by not telling the cops, they spuppress themselves. By selling crack and other drugs instead of looking for legitimate products to sell, they suppress themselves. When they invest in 20inch rims, nike, timberland etc instead of building lasting businesses, thet suppress themselves. When they join gangs, skip school instead of spending their youth chasing an education, they suppress themselves. When they blame whites for their problems instead of seeking out solutions, they suppress themselves.

Too bad for the native American, they were conquered and their land was claimed by another race and their race was basically obliterated but you really can compare the black with them because the blacks were "shipped" to America by the whites, educated and have been spoon fed by the whites all these years. The education, good roads, freedom of speech, technology, quality infrastructure were all made possible by the whites long before slave trade or even the discovery of Africa. Africans couldn't even build ships despite all the forests and jungles we have. We didn't even invent the "wheel", didn't know anything about the water cycle and we are still 10,000 years behind the rest of the world.

Ignoramus, you really need to start facing reality

Wow wow wow. This one has been brainwashed by the media o.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Beautiful Northern Sudanese. / African Gods: IGBO DEITIES / What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.