Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,793 members, 7,956,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:44 PM

President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President (47598 Views)

Buhari Should Make Jonathan’s Mistakes, Says Omokri / 5 Jonathan’s Mistakes Buhari Has Repeated / I Would Have Remained In PDP, If I Knew My Deputy Would Betray Me--gov. Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by oluwafemi113(m): 7:27pm On Apr 14, 2015
NgwaManNaija4LF:

My bro,I'm a full blooded Nigerian first and an Igbo man by tribe,voting him out was the best thing to save our dear land from Ogogoro master,we Nigerians in another man's land feel the pain most when our country leaders refused to get their act together.

Proudly Nigerian,Proudly Igbo man.

May God bless you
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by mikron(m): 7:29pm On Apr 14, 2015
mmsen:

The Federal government during Jonathan's tenure has built roads, replaced key railway lines and refurbished existing airports as well as building new ones.

The same administration built more universities in the north than any northern administration ever has. Built more schools than any northern president or governor has, ever. Education is always a priority, investing in people is the most important investment that a government can make. If you do not invest in knowledge and skills then your people will always struggle - like it or not this is why northern Nigeria is the way that it is. It is because of the lack of educational opportunities for northern children that so many end up on the street and are then prey for groups such as Boko Haram.

Measures were taken to rejuvenate the power infrastructure. More power is being generated, it is now for the DISCOs to do their job, those are private enterprises, not government.

The PIB is on the table, the local content bill passed, the banking sector is more stable than it has been in decades.

Because you do not understand the role of government and you have no patience to see how policy will influence economics in the long run, you fail to appreciate what the Jonathan administration has done for Nigeria. I suggest that you educate yourself on the difference between the Federal government, the state governments and the private sector.
don't mind eediots like him, I believe he is a kid probably under 20. He talks without thinking
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by mikron(m): 7:35pm On Apr 14, 2015
ziqqz:

Wake up! We are in a democracy where majority rules.
Go back and see how many "Likes" attached to my comment, and you may realise that my opinion echoes the minds of many more people out there.
Can't say the same for you though.
u forgot there are many apc supposed supporters here these days, they click like to any comment that goes against gej's administration and quickly click like for any thread promoting Buhari. And when has it become an achievement for people to like comments? Don't make me laugh bro
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by mikron(m): 7:44pm On Apr 14, 2015
Gamesmart:

You are a fooool. So what are the reports in a London court about the participation of the president and chief justice with Etete loot?
u re here crying foul while the man is on his way to enjoying his retirement with wealth even ur third generation will be dreaming to acquire. Kunu, ode, obori, it's joblessness that is the problem with people like u. Don't go and look for something good to do to acquire wealth.
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by olayinkaj2(m): 7:45pm On Apr 14, 2015
He simply messed up the chance give to him, he later develop a strategy of moving around like an orphan disturbing people at mid night in their sleep looking for last minute support that has been lost since. All the people that advice him of sharing dollar to a particular person scammed him, even witches and wizard collected theirs too, they believe that is the only way to collect their own share knowing fully well that he was going to lose. He has learnt his lessons anyway.
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by mmsen: 7:48pm On Apr 14, 2015
Gamesmart:

What roads?

How does Lagos-Ibadan expressway look today? World class?

What about Ore-Benin?

What airport?

MMA is up to standard of even a regional airport in Europe?

You mean when they touch up things poorly and then loot the money is what you refer to?

The same money meant for airports that Stella Oduah used $1.6m dollars to buy 2 cars and Jonathan supported her without shame?

Please show us your stats that proves Jonathan built more schools than any Northern President and Governor.

Which universities?

You mean if you build any structure and label it "University", then it is a university?

Nigeria does not have enough academic staff to work in existing university, where is the sense in building 50,000 more universities?

And you talk about priorities?

So your support of Jonathan is not based on what he has done, but what he plans or promises to do?

In 6 years, what has he done for power?

Then tell us what a competent person could have done in 6 years to Nigeria's power generation.

I don't understand economics?

You do?

Where is your understanding of economics and government when you refer to building of universities despite knowing you don't have the resources to staff them?

I am the one that needs to learn?

There is only one region that struggles to find enough teaching staff for both schools and universities.

We all know which one that is.

We should all be able to see why by now.

Jonathan is the first one to attempt to seriously tackle the problem by establishing facilities within that region.

Nigeria's power sector has been a mess for decades - how do you expect Jonathan to completely fix the problem in six years? How naive can you be?

Roads in Nigeria are much better today than they were 10 years ago and I'm glad to see work still being done on major roads. Again, it is an ongoing process, much like the electricity issue but you fail to understand this. It is all about progress, which is being made. Improvements have been made with the airports but you would prefer to pretend as if nothing has happened. Stella Oduah did not attempt to hide her purchase because she was under the belief that she was entitled to such according to longstanding rules, a sign of the wastage that has long been a part of Nigerian public life. That was a mistake that put Jonathan in a conundrum but very different from the open corruption that Yar'adua's own wife practiced whereby she was taking bribes for oil contracts - there is nothing in the rules for that.

I am not saying that Jonathan was a perfect man or president but he had good ideas which he has implemented and which will allow Nigeria to prosper in the long run.

Even today a new deal has been signed for nuclear power - let us hope that the incoming administration do not scupper the deal in the name of petty politics.
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by jeroton: 7:49pm On Apr 14, 2015
Firefire:
no need again. undecided
i remember that program "Another Life"
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Nobody: 7:54pm On Apr 14, 2015
endeedike:
wisdom is not by numbers....have a nice day and pls dont mention me again..stupidity has a way of rubbing off on those who harken to the reason of the unwise.

Thankfully you paid rapt attention to your momma all those days she cursed you out for leaving her underwear at my residence
lmfao
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by bennyzer(m): 7:54pm On Apr 14, 2015
So so on point.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Nobody: 7:57pm On Apr 14, 2015
mikron:
u forgot there are many apc supposed supporters here these days, they click like to any comment that goes against gej's administration and quickly click like for any thread promoting Buhari. And when has it become an achievement for people to like comments? Don't make me laugh bro

Smh... In any case, I still hold out hope that intelligent debate couldn't possibly be so hard to find.
Carry go
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by arsenal33: 8:28pm On Apr 14, 2015
olamilian:
Too long

Not too long. Spot on!

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by NovusHomo(m): 8:32pm On Apr 14, 2015
olamilian:
Too long

Lazybones grin
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by stevecantrell: 8:33pm On Apr 14, 2015
Firefire:
no need again. undecided

Exactly ! Too late.

If only "GEJ till 2019" crew could have given him this advice 12 months ago..
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by NovusHomo(m): 8:34pm On Apr 14, 2015
nairaman66:
Great write up!

I am sure GEJ is reading this. grin

If he has not drunk himself to a stupor. lipsrsealed
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by endeedike(m): 9:27pm On Apr 14, 2015
i thought as much....your mother shud have aborted you when she had the chance...

ziqqz:

Thankfully you paid rapt attention to your momma all those days she cursed you out for leaving her underwear at my residence
lmfao
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Nobody: 9:28pm On Apr 14, 2015
itsdumebi:
THE MISTAKES OF PRESIDENT JONATHAN

My name is Dumebi Ifeanyi and I am a political animal. This article is in no way meant to insult/derogate the personality of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. Its main motive is to show his mistakes and what he ought to have done.
I feel compelled to write this article in order for aspiring young politicians like myself to learn from the mistakes of one whose actions led to the near destruction of a great party which I dearly support. Many might be pleased, many might not, but affairs of state ought to be seen/stated for the way they are and not the way they ought to be. So let’s begin…..

His Nature

Any good, prudent leader knows that in order to thrive and grow in politics, he ought to know how to be Soft and Hard, Jonathan is a good man…an overly good man and in politics ‘soft/good men’ don’t go very far. He found himself in several situations where he was supposed to take the best possible action which might have been seen as morally ‘bad’.
You see, in politics and governance as a whole, you are required to be objective….certain circumstances require that you do that which might be viewed as morally ‘bad’, but in order for your government to stand, for your people to survive and for your position to remain, you must take these actions. There are situations whereby you do that which is viewed as morally ‘good’ and you will come to absolute ruin.

How the people see their leader is also very important.GEJ did not manage his image well; he was viewed by the people as ‘weak’ because of his lack of charisma and confidence.

The Love of the people

Of all the mistakes that will be stated here, please pay very good attention to this one….NEVER EVER LOSE THE LOVE OF THE PEOPLE!! This is Paramount! Why? The power truly lies with the PEOPLE!
Jonathan came into power with the love of the people (the ‘I had no shoes’ story), everyone loved him but along the line, he made the people lose faith in him, especially after the Chibok girls issue.

Media/Chibok girls

The Media controls the minds of the people. President Jonathan made grave mistakes in managing the media’s representations of his actions. His leadership skills were already not to impressive and the media was not helping matters, even when he appeared to make a little improvement it still did not help as people had already grown fond of getting negative reports about him, so what should he have done? Two things I propose….
1. He should have befriended/enriched some top media house heads, gave them contracts…I mean…everyman has a price.
2. Anyone who refused to be his friend, he would have crushed…how? Influencing the revoking of broadcast licenses, strongarming…..(there a whole lot of ways to deal with them…contact me if you need more..:-)
You might say these are wicked and underhand but anyone who derives joy in destroying me before thousands of people, poisoning their minds and causing me psychological problems has no RIGHT to enjoy while I suffer! I would be foolish to have the means to deal with them and I don’t....:-)
On the chibok girls issue, the president’s lukewarmness caused his great misfortunes, had he immediately given a speech, a good one, a sympathetic one….even if he had no information yet…he would have just addressed the nation and told them that they were working on the matter/ investigating not releasing press statements through Abati….The people needed to know that they had a leader…If they had seen his face, heard his voice…it would have been much better. Had he mobilized the army earlier(or hired mercenaries), had he also given more speeches, speeches that all media houses, TV stations, radio stations would broadcast live(suspending all other programs), supported the Chibok girls campaign, heavily publicized appeals to the AU,UN..etc, these actions could have salvaged his already battered image.
He should also have invested heavily in social media at an early stage, he greatly underestimated it and thought it to be ‘’child’s play’’ but anything causing you great harm and loss of peace of mind is NOT ‘’child’s play’’.

Poor Advisers

A leader’s strength is measured by the advisers/men he has around him. He should have properly vetted those he chose for advisers and he should have weighed his political alliances. He also trusted the wrong people.

Biting the Finger that fed him

His biggest mistake till date is not keeping OBJ satisfied, biting the finger that fed him. You see, those who rise to power on the shoulders of others depend on the fortune and goodwill of him who has elevated them, Jonathan let his rift with OBJ thrive and that was a very, very grave mistake. You see, so far the Old military junta, so far the former military leaders live, Obasanjo is still as relevant as he was in the old days…..He should never have underestimated the power of the Iroko of Owu…he should never have!
In choosing enemies, make sure you know everything about your enemy….his alliances, his strengths. Obasanjo is a man who has ruled this country for a combined 11 years so he knows the inner workings of governance including its weaknesses. GEJ should have been wiser.

He was soft when he had to be firm

He could have salvaged a little of what’s left of his already battered image had he left the likes of Oduah, Abba Moro etc out to dry i.e given them up. He could have successfully built an image of a president who did not condone corruption had he done this, thus increasing the confidence the people had in him.

He associated with the STAINED

A leader should never be found associated with the STAINED, Those who have been publicly labeled as corrupt and evil. He associated himself with men who had been indicted, arrested and had one problem or the other with law enforcement thus giving the opposition media fodder and ‘staining’ himself in the process…come on…never play with ink if you have white clothes on.

Marginalizing the South west

Frankly speaking, He should never have marginalized the south-west…For God sake; they control the media and the Judiciary. I am being very realistic; He should have been friends with those with heavy political influence and should have kept them satisfied early enough. He should have sent more developments and foreign investments their way.

Poor Foundations

Apart from politics, when you build a house on poor foundations it will eventually collapse. GEJ had strong foundations in the SE and the SS but did not in the southwest and in the north, the whole Boko Haram/Chibok girls issue coupled with his Luke warmness destroyed the little he had built there.

In Conclusion, the president’s mistakes were numerous but if he had addressed the few stated above, he could have still been Nigeria’s leader today and I urge all aspiring politicians to draw lessons from his shortcomings than criticize him. Never forget…Politics is not for all, it is for a particular breed of human beings….wanna know if you have got what it takes?…..then Follow me on twitter @itsdumebi_
my dear, this your analysis shows your kind of person, am afraid your political ambitions will not go far with these listed mentality, its a new Nigeria, Gej failed cause pple wanted change, am PDP and I felt the pain of losing but know also that it a way forward for my country, if you have ever lived abroad you will know that Nigeria needs the rapid development and this will only come by good competition between 2parties to deliver the best vision while the voters remains the judge. Era of bribery and crushing of opponents is gone, you said his image is soft, great leaders like Gandhi was even more soft, you said he has poor advisers , let me tell u that the quality of Gej's economic team is unprecedented, you said he shouldn't bit the hand that fed him, will tell u that with or without obj he will still have failed.Gej is gone but he has written his name in gold , generations will remember him as the father of democracy, what honor is better than that, he's fortunate to see all he has seen. My advise to you is that as a politician have a vision and simply focus on it , if people buys it , they will follow u , don't go negative like bribery and intimidation, you will never go far. I remain at PDP despite defeat and still optimistic that APC will take my nation a step forward. God bless Nigeria
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Nobody: 9:48pm On Apr 14, 2015
endeedike:
i thought as much....your mother shud have aborted you when she had the chance...

ahhahahajajajajaa... seriously is that all you could come up with?
dang dude, you're as intellectually bankrupt as you are palpably sexually frustrated.
flee from me! you're as irritating as yo momma's underwear!
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Nobody: 9:57pm On Apr 14, 2015
Jonathan tried for the North, He didnt do much in the south east areas, He only made promises, He focused on the North hoping they would reason with him, but those guys just messed him up, they are only interested in seeing their own rule, they dont care if he or she has the leadership skill or not, they just want their own up that seat. Soo bad, there was nothing Jona didn't do to please them.
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by yussuff(m): 10:03pm On Apr 14, 2015
Curlieweed:
Johnny Boy's biggest mistake was being born into a very small ethnic group in the wrong cardinal point of the country.

Was he not in the very same ethnic group when he won in 2011. Story for the Gods. Please just stop this religion and ethnic rubbish
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Nobody: 10:24pm On Apr 14, 2015
He surrounded himself with psychopaths!
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by anthonyweah: 10:31pm On Apr 14, 2015
You are really accurate in your assessment of the reasons for the fall of Mr. President. I totally agree with you.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by johninhos(m): 11:11pm On Apr 14, 2015
drsteroid:
Jonah along with all his selfish aides destroyed what's left of this country..never in the history of this country has the muslim seen the xtians as enemies,or the hausaman seen the ibo man as his enemy...Jonathan govt looted and divided Nigeria along her different ethnic and religious divide.I can't wait 4 Buhari to start work and probe all the illegalities which had taken place during GEJ/PEJ administration since Sambo was seen as a figurehead or ghost worker.
As election drew closer,Lagos became the Federal capital territory to him,while he was busy doling out tax payers money just to lobby 4 vote..am so happy the South westerners showed him there is no trace of cluelessness in them,by showing him the way out with their PVCs..Nigeria has gone beyond sweet talking the people,its either u perform or u are thrown out through the exit door.he had close 2 six years,and couldn't make good use of it,let him enjoy his pension in otuoke..you ve succeeded in putting your name among the list of presidents of nigeria, the incorruptible general will show you what you don't know about stealing and corruption. Can't wait 4 may 29 to come. odabo jonah!!
Greatest fool ever liveth
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by endoski: 11:36pm On Apr 14, 2015
true talk my brother,Gej made mistakes no president has ever made in nigeria

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by ijiini(m): 12:01am On Apr 15, 2015
kokoye:

Reason why a lot of people can never be smart: put good ideas in a book.
....if u wanna hide money from pipo.like dem,put.it.in a book...
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Abraham2013(m): 12:43am On Apr 15, 2015
jaybee3:
How can he be a good man but yet eat and dine with the stained?
That's a very dangerous man IMO!

Bros in politics, u may need to eat n wine wit d devil himself to achieve certain aims. Even GMB has "stained people" around him 4 to has won d recent election.
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Nobody: 2:46am On Apr 15, 2015
drsteroid:
Jonah along with all his selfish aides destroyed what's left of this country..never in the history of this country has the muslim seen the xtians as enemies,or the hausaman seen the ibo man as his enemy...Jonathan govt looted and divided Nigeria along her different ethnic and religious divide.I can't wait 4 Buhari to start work and probe all the illegalities which had taken place during GEJ/PEJ administration since Sambo was seen as a figurehead or ghost worker.
As election drew closer,Lagos became the Federal capital territory to him,while he was busy doling out tax payers money just to lobby 4 vote..am so happy the South westerners showed him there is no trace of cluelessness in them,by showing him the way out with their PVCs..Nigeria has gone beyond sweet talking the people,its either u perform or u are thrown out through the exit door.he had close 2 six years,and couldn't make good use of it,let him enjoy his pension in otuoke..you ve succeeded in putting your name among the list of presidents of nigeria, the incorruptible general will show you what you don't know about stealing and corruption. Can't wait 4 may 29 to come. odabo jonah!!
@ the bolded. please stop this gibberish because it hold no water, it may be that you have little knowledge of the past otherwise I will picture you to be one the children of the 21st century.
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Gamesmart: 2:47am On Apr 15, 2015
mmsen:

There is only one region that struggles to find enough teaching staff for both schools and universities.

We all know which one that is.

We should all be able to see why by now.

Jonathan is the first one to attempt to seriously tackle the problem by establishing facilities within that region.

Nigeria's power sector has been a mess for decades - how do you expect Jonathan to completely fix the problem in six years? How naive can you be?

Roads in Nigeria are much better today than they were 10 years ago and I'm glad to see work still being done on major roads. Again, it is an ongoing process, much like the electricity issue but you fail to understand this. It is all about progress, which is being made. Improvements have been made with the airports but you would prefer to pretend as if nothing has happened. Stella Oduah did not attempt to hide her purchase because she was under the belief that she was entitled to such according to longstanding rules, a sign of the wastage that has long been a part of Nigerian public life. That was a mistake that put Jonathan in a conundrum but very different from the open corruption that Yar'adua's own wife practiced whereby she was taking bribes for oil contracts - there is nothing in the rules for that.

I am not saying that Jonathan was a perfect man or president but he had good ideas which he has implemented and which will allow Nigeria to prosper in the long run.

Even today a new deal has been signed for nuclear power - let us hope that the incoming administration do not scupper the deal in the name of petty politics.

There is only one region that struggles with teaching staff?

And you were the one telling me to educate myself? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

My friend, go and educate yourself.

Half of teachers in Nigerian schools do not have the required qualification to teach. Of the half that have the required qualifications, by international standards, 99% of them are quacks which advanced societies would wonder how anyone can state they are qualified to teach but our teachers training colleges dash them qualifications.

That is an education for you about the primary and secondary level in Nigeria.

When we come to universities, 60% of university lecturers in Nigeria do not possess a doctorate. We have Masters students as lecturers at existing universities.

So Jonathan's priority was to build 9 more structures and call it universities and people like you call it "achievement".

Who are the people going to staff the "universities"?

That is more education for you about Nigeria.

So your argument is that Jonathan cannot do anything in 6 years to the power sector.

6 years, not 6 months o?

But he can build Almajiri schools and you scream "achievements".

And you said he knows priorities?

If he can't do anything in 6 years why is he volunteering to lead?

Show me a federal road in Nigeria that is up to world standard after SIX YEARS of Jonathan's rule.

So you agree Stella Oduah engaged in wastage, but the Jonathan "that understands priority" decided that was what Nigeria needs in leadership? That is part of Jonathan's great ideas?
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by karatudu: 4:01am On Apr 15, 2015
story for the Gods.to late when the head is cut off
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Badguytinz(m): 4:33am On Apr 15, 2015
People are blaming him for not doing anything for the kidnapped girls. Is it even easy to find individuals that are kidnapped for money Is not easy..... thats all.....And yeah, America coming to nigeria to help fight boko harm is an agenda for them (unsure of what they want) ...And sure this could be a reason jonathan rejected their help..... I don't really trust those people. They are smart and can be subtly devious. undecided. Like they say no thing comes for free, a price must be paid
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Kazrem(m): 4:37am On Apr 15, 2015
Almost everybody has turned a writer, political and social analyst during this Jonathan era.
BTW, good one op, i agree with most especially bad advisers and biting the finger that fed you.

Meanwhile, why you people (you said you support pdp) didnt tell him all these before now? Instead you continue deceitfully hailing him, blaming opposition and shouting jeg till buhari gets his certificate. You are one of the reasons he failed to seek re-election.
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Kazrem(m): 4:43am On Apr 15, 2015
Aso o bomoye mo. Omoye ti rin wowo loja.
Meaning: Its too late for "omoye" to be clothed. "Omoye" has gone naked to the market. Medicine after death.
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by prophetfire: 4:53am On Apr 15, 2015
olamilian:
Too long
I pity this generation that is lazy and loathes reading. Always complaining of writings being too long and asking for summaries. People that lack depth and loathe being deep.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Edo Governorship Results: Obaseki Leads - The Nation / Wike Orders Task Force To Destroy 500 Impounded Commercial Motorcycles / Lucky Irabor Becomes Four-star General As Buhari Promotes Service Chiefs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.