Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA (77641 Views)

Drone View Of Owerri (Photos) / Checkout The Aerial View Of Lagos Island During The Day And Night (photos) / Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by osystein(m): 12:50pm On Apr 16, 2015
haul:
I don't even care with what you schooling me on

Okay, believe whatever you want, but can you show me a reliable source for the 10 Nigerians dead claim
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by V0lv0(f): 12:51pm On Apr 16, 2015
osystein:

namibian/ Nigerian

All the stories, images and Videos are false. Anything can happen though, so People should watchout.
The videos of people being burnt are false undecided undecided. So news 24 and enca mind you these are South African sources have been showing a fire videos and pics as well as the other reputable sources. Lol whatever you are smoking (no offence) is really working

2 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by ayoman: 12:52pm On Apr 16, 2015
What is a street roamer doing in a foreign country in the first instance? Why is he constituting a nuisance in another man's country?
redcliff:
I am glad you said this is your point of view. However, i was about to make some statements about it until i started reading the later end of your story which also confirmed the class at which you are telling the story from. You can say all these thing but the truth be told that these attacked were specigically targeted at black forigners and Nigeria as we all know would make its larger percentage.

In as much as this is your truth, i do not doubt it. Lets go a little lower to people who do not have the oppirtunity of having white collar jobs and going to school. The hustlers and the street roamers, the below average foreigners. They are the ones directly affected by this. Until we hear their own part of the story, then and only then can we conclude that SAcans are not xenophobic as the world think they are.
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by coolhamid(m): 12:54pm On Apr 16, 2015
milychocs:

I will call him that for you,
He is a really lousy, unfeeling, arrogant fellow!
People are losing family members and he is here spewing rubbish angry

How would anyone leave their country if things were okay for them back home?
Okay, he is rich...how many "scum" has he helped settle well in his dearly beloved SA?

I wish I could yank out the poster's arms....I would feed them to him!
I hope his wife is different, so she can steal his NL password...see his post and leave him for being a horrible man
You are taking this personal..
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by CSTR2: 12:55pm On Apr 16, 2015
madejibo:

A nigerian wishing another nigerian dead just because he is expressing his view, shows so much about us!
Nigerian students are killed everywhere in the world including Nigeria does it mean xenophobic?
If you can't tell the difference between a random criminal attack and an almost nationwide targeted attack against specific people ,then i can't help you.
And yes, for glossing over the death of innocent Nigerians, you deserve no sympathy.

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by lekpalicious(f): 12:56pm On Apr 16, 2015
osystein:

Show me one that is true all of them are fake, I saw the discussion on twitter, ofcos soms are true, but all the violent and gruesome ones are fake.
Twitter of all places. Please post it for interest sakes
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Nobody: 12:57pm On Apr 16, 2015
coolhamid:
You are taking this personal..

I did not see this post
lipsrsealed
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by ladydacreme: 12:59pm On Apr 16, 2015
I find it very disturbing that a Nigerian living in SA is typing this nonsense. I have lived in SA forapproximately a decade now, got all my degrees here, and I'm now an engineering lecturer. Just because I have a white collar job doesn't mean I should ignore my brothers and sisters in the townships even if they are from other African countries. Just because they sell frugs doesn't mean they should be burnt alive. Aren't the drug users South Africans? In addition, what abundant bursaries are you talking about? I studied at both Stellenbosch University and the University of Pretoria, I now work at Wits so when it comes to these non-existent bursaries, i know what I'm saying. There are hardly any bursaries for foreign undergrads, in fact, you pay double! And for postgrads, the bursaries don't just fall on your laps! I wrote a post about this issue. You can check it on my blog here--> http://demisweeklydigest.com/2015/04/15/on-the-issue-of-xenophobic-attacks-in-south-africa/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by teenature(f): 1:00pm On Apr 16, 2015
I also live in SA. They hate foreigners whether educated or not. You will sweat out before you get a job as a foreigner
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Cvesta(m): 1:00pm On Apr 16, 2015
All of you can blab for all i care,the op has not said anything wrong.we nigerians are at fault and have placed ourselve at their mercy.rather than going to SA to be a dreg n an illegal imigrant,why not stay back home?it is time for us to start forcing our leaders to give us what we deserve. a nation that seeks at all cost to liberate another country when it has not liberate itself is simply foolish.i do not blame other african nations like liberia,SA,Angola etc who disrespect us at every opportunity inspite of the billions of dollars spent to rescue them.till we embrace the path of development and take our rightful place in africa,all sort of vices against us will continue.this does nt mean i support the illegal killing of anyone

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by osystein(m): 1:02pm On Apr 16, 2015
V0lv0:
The videos of people being burnt are false undecided undecided. So news 24 and enca mind you these are South African sources have been showing a fire videos and pics as well as the other reputable sources. Lol whatever you are smoking (no offence) is really working

The People burning are not foreigners, thats an old Video of a vigilante mob setting criminals who confessed to killing a man ablaze. They are not foreigners, its Still wrong though.

viral video shows vigilantism not xenophobia http://m.news24.com/news24/SouthAfrica/News/Viral-video-shows-vigilantism-not-xenophobia-police-20150411 true story of shocking "xenophobic Video revealed http://m.news24.com/news24/SouthAfrica/News/True-story-of-shocking-xenophobic-attack-video-revealed-20150411
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by lekpalicious(f): 1:02pm On Apr 16, 2015
osystein:

namibian/ Nigerian

All the stories, images and Videos are false. Anything can happen though, so People should watchout.
I have been reading your comments on here for a very long time and I thought you were South African with the way you constantly defend everything about South Africa. I don't really belive you are Nigerian maybe half at most but you are definitely South African. I thought you were even coloured at one point in time from a comment you made as well as your username. Oh well its an online forum where anyone can be anyone. All I ask esp as a moderator is that you should not be biased. You said all the news is fake and no Nigeria n's have been dead. Bring out the source stating and confirming no Nigerians have been killed. Bring out a source stating that all videos and pics etc are fake

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by coolhamid(m): 1:03pm On Apr 16, 2015
milychocs:

I did not see this post
lipsrsealed
The OP Never Justified the attacks on blacks in south Africa... infact, In many of his posts he condemned the attacks.
From my own view, the message the OP is trying to pass is that "Only small percentage of South Africans are xenophobic"
The fact that we have terrorists in Nigeria doesn't mean all NIGERIANS are boko haramist....
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Nobody: 1:08pm On Apr 16, 2015
coolhamid:
The OP Never Justified the attacks on blacks in south Africa... infact, In many of his posts he condemned the attacks.
From my own view, the message the OP is trying to pass is that "Only small percentage of South Africans are xenophobic"
The fact that we have terrorists in Nigeria doesn't mean all NIGERIANS are boko haramist....

Where is the "dislike" button when you need it!?
I give up......enjoy your stance
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by haul: 1:09pm On Apr 16, 2015
osystein:

Okay, believe whatever you want, but can you show me a reliable source for the 10 Nigerians dead claim
was I the one who posted that? a beg bros respect your self oooooo,no time to dey remove USB safely.
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by osystein(m): 1:11pm On Apr 16, 2015
lekpalicious:
Twitter of all places. Please post it for interest sakes
The #xenophobicSA thread, thats where the fake gruesome images originated, they're just random violent pics from Google. Your can check their sources on the Google reverse image search engine. Some are from Nigeria, like the man with deep cuts, happened in naija.
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by ooshinibos: 1:15pm On Apr 16, 2015
CSTR2:
I don't even know where to start with you.
Just last week, two Nigerian students were murdered in cold blood by xenophobic scums in southafrica.
You think you are safe and secured because of your tiny white collar job.?
Don't worry, the next wave of xenophobia will claim your life and you won't be mourned, you selfish cunnt.
And to think that you can compare the mass deportation of ghanians in the 80s to large scale cold-blooded murder of hundreds of foreigners in south Africa in 2015, shows how pea-sized your brain is.
As per the mass deportation on the 80s , you have a point sir..at least no Ghanaians was killed during the mass deportation of that time ..most Ghanaians come to Nigeria illegally then though , the ones they were legal were allowed to stay
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Jeffoo(m): 1:16pm On Apr 16, 2015
Judge for yourself

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by ooshinibos: 1:20pm On Apr 16, 2015
I hereby postpone my journey to South Africa based on the comments on this blog ..even if 1 percent of SA are xenophobic it is still bad , it takes one xenophobic person to spoil a country.
it is a shame we blacks are filled with hate and evil and we are the same people to complain about apartheid and racism ..evil blaming evil .
Nigeria is a culprit too , we have some serious tribalism issues amongst a minority of us

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by V0lv0(f): 1:21pm On Apr 16, 2015
osystein:

The People burning are not foreigners, thats an old Video of a vigilante mob setting criminals who confessed to killing a man ablaze. They are not foreigners, its Still wrong though.

viral video shows vigilantism not xenophobia http://m.news24.com/news24/SouthAfrica/News/Viral-video-shows-vigilantism-not-xenophobia-police-20150411 true story of shocking "xenophobic Video revealed http://m.news24.com/news24/SouthAfrica/News/True-story-of-shocking-xenophobic-attack-video-revealed-20150411

I have never even seen that video before. I was not referring to this. How does 1 fake video mean all the rest are fake or untrue? This is talking specifically about a video that claimed to be 5 Zimbabweans being burnt but this means nothing. The fact is being are being murdered still and shops burnt and chased from their homes. This is the fact
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by ooshinibos: 1:21pm On Apr 16, 2015
Jeffoo:
Judge for yourself
oh lord photo shopping
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Nobody: 1:22pm On Apr 16, 2015
Let me get my hands on you op... I will tear you into pieces!

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by osystein(m): 1:22pm On Apr 16, 2015
lekpalicious:
I have been reading your comments on here for a very long time and I thought you were South African with the way you constantly defend everything about South Africa. I don't really belive you are Nigerian maybe half at most but you are definitely South African. I thought you were even coloured at one point in time from a comment you made as well as your username. Oh well its an online forum where anyone can be anyone. All I ask esp as a moderator is that you should not be biased. You said all the news is fake and no Nigeria n's have been dead. Bring out the source stating and confirming no Nigerians have been killed. Bring out a source stating that all videos and pics etc are fake
see my other post the thread, i've posted this Xenophobia: No Nigerian killed in South Africa— Obanikoro http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/04/xenophobiasa-no-nigerian-killed-in-south-africa-obanikoro/ again all the gruesome images are fake, post any and i'll show you the real source.
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by ooshinibos: 1:22pm On Apr 16, 2015
[quote author=madejibo post=32770893][/quote]
I hereby postpone my journey to South Africa based on the comments on this blog ..even if 1 percent of SA are xenophobic it is still bad , it takes one xenophobic person to spoil a country.
it is a shame we blacks are filled with hate and evil and we are the same people to complain about apartheid and racism ..evil blaming evil .
Nigeria is a culprit too , we have some serious tribalism issues amongst a minority of us
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by osystein(m): 1:25pm On Apr 16, 2015
haul:
was I the one who posted that? a beg bros respect your self oooooo,no time to dey remove USB safely.

But you the one who said ten nigerians were killed, I told you that its untrue and gave you a source, but you still said that you don't care.
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by osystein(m): 1:28pm On Apr 16, 2015
Jeffoo:
Judge for yourself

Thats from 2008, he's not nigerian, still wrong and primitive though.
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by SirShymexx: 1:31pm On Apr 16, 2015
@OP

Interesting POV you have got there and I understanding where you are coming from. I saw some of those savagely and barbaric pictures - and they brought back memories of Apartheid South Africa. At least, it is always refreshing to see someone having an opinion without emotional impulses.

Anyway, I blame Nelson Mandela for how most of those South Africans are. Those folks went through some of the most dehumanising experience ever. And after apartheid ended, they should have rehabilitated these people properly, move them up the ladder economically - before even letting other folks in. That is a scar that will take more than one generation to wipe off. But he never did that, all in his bid to be the "father of Africa" - alas he also settled for useless deal with the whites. Thus leaving those no too better off than they were under apartheid. The cumulative anger is what is happening today. Then you can't absorb African immigrants from how a lot of them are always condescending in other countries - their relationship with African Americans is a classic example. The holy grail is that AAs were sanitised with Afrocentricism and black power movement, before Africans started moving there in droves - hence they have never been xenophobic. So, it is a two way street - with fundamental problems on both sides.

And to those making it a black thing - stop it. Poverty hasn't even returned to Europe, and far right groups are increasing at an alarming rate. Let poverty return and see if they won't be worse than South Africans. The UK is a classic example...the country is calm cos blacks don't really take no one's job and the population of black people in total can't be more than 3%. There is a reason why it is like that. But the angst building gradually against Muslims and EU nationals - it can get ugly as well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Batman123: 1:31pm On Apr 16, 2015
ooshinibos:

As per the mass deportation on the 80s , you have a point sir..at least no Ghanaians was killed during the mass deportation of that time ..most Ghanaians come to Nigeria illegally then though , the ones they were legal were allowed to stay
Some of you people are funny and are not much different from SA. Most Ghanaians came to Nigeria illegally like most Nigerians in Ghana right? This is the same stuff I have read SA people say about most foreigners also coming there illegally. It's a very stupid statement to make. Btw some Ghanaians were killed during Ghana must go. GHANA MUST GO was not better than what is happening in SA. Xenophobia is Xenophobia. All is equally bad.
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by osystein(m): 1:34pm On Apr 16, 2015
V0lv0:
I have never even seen that video before. I was not referring to this. How does 1 fake video mean all the rest are fake or untrue? This is talking specifically about a video that claimed to be 5 Zimbabweans being burnt but this means nothing. The fact is being are being murdered still and shops burnt and chased from their homes. This is the fact

Thats the Video thats been watched seen by many, I've seen it many times on nairaland even appeared on Channel4 news today.

Yes there's xenophobic violence and looting of shops, just like January in soweto.
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by moghedien: 1:38pm On Apr 16, 2015
ayox2003:
Thank you OP.

There's a psychological term called Availability Bias.

Availability Bias: Availability Bias is when a minor, rare, uncommon occurrence is publicized numerous times to make people believe it happens frequently. An example is how lottery companies advertise those who win the ultimate prize money, making people believe that they could be one of the winners. The 'advert' makes people play lotteries as much as they can. In the end, research has shown that 90% of lottery players never get to win at all while 5% wins just once or twice.

Calling SA a Xenophobic country is like calling Nigeria a human ritualist nation or saying India is a rapist country (Fact check: you're more likely to be raped in America than in India) or believing US is a racist country because cops shoot Blacks (Fact check: A black man is the president of the US).

That you hear of an occurrence in the news every other day doesn't make it the truth of the situation on ground. Mind you, most people with the Xenophobic chorus have never even been to the country.

Long story short: Xenophobia is just another availability bias swallowed by Africans hook, line and sinker.

Frawzey.

Sorry your fact checks might be facts, but they are not truths:
-America has a majority of racist, not all, true, but most, Obama does not cancel it out. I have siblings there I listen to what goes on in the black communities, because the successful ones get better treatment does not mean its not an epidemic because the majority is more important.
-India have a lot of rape cases that go unpunished (plus they are over a billion, your stats don't add up there).
-Nigeria's boko-haram problem has not escalated to the point of it being labelled as such.

Next, we live on generalizations, Ibo's are businessmen, Yoruba's are educated, Benue people like women, these a generalization based on majorities. One should not shroud this under the guise that [not everyone is like that].

I've had the privilege to speak face-to-face with a number of South Africans, including a Zulu, xenophobia IS a problem you cannot wish away, the fact that it affects the lower class more does not negate this as they are the majority. The earlier we all admit it and face it rather than pretend like the government have been doing calling it 'crime' name the better. People are dying.
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by toluleke(m): 1:39pm On Apr 16, 2015
stop spreading rubbish,they are killing fellow blacks and foreigners,my cousin there said they don't allow nigerians to import agricultural products.i have seen four videos now of brutal killing BY this south african animals.
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by proudlyhandsome: 1:39pm On Apr 16, 2015
driand:
in Nigeria how much do they get for washing cars? #300, now tell me how much you pay them in those places you just mentioned.

£5 for washing and polishing d car body.

£10 for intensive wash; both inside and outside with tyres.

But if you see their suffering and their bills......

By the time they take out their expenses out of that revenue, they would hardly have smting left.

US is btw $14 to $26; it all depend on your choice of services

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

My Japa Relocation To Moscow Russia / See The Chinese Bullet Trains That Can Travel Betw. Lagos & Abuja & Back In 5hrs / Pictures Of Rock With Human Face In Kwara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.