Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" - Properties (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" (95517 Views)

**the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** / The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) / The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Duplex + Penthouse" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by erico2k2(m): 12:20pm On Jul 28, 2015
spyder880:

No, this is in preparation for the load of the concrete fascia,
oh I see.is it same 6 16mm rod right from the basket /starter bar to the top?
Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by spyder880(m): 12:42pm On Jul 28, 2015
erico2k2:

oh I see.is it same 6 16mm rod right from the basket /starter bar to the top?

Yes, all the way from the beginning.
Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by erico2k2(m): 1:51pm On Jul 28, 2015
spyder880:

Yes, all the way from the beginning.
ah I see, I have to re adjust my plan then, well why we are at it, I asked if you got a good granite supplier in PH.
Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by earthrealm(m): 4:54pm On Jul 28, 2015
new to th e thread, sorry to take us back, but i have a question

Using concrete mixer for the foundation of a 1 storey building, is it really important/critical?
Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by erico2k2(m): 6:33pm On Jul 28, 2015
earthrealm:
new to th e thread, sorry to take us back, but i have a question

Using concrete mixer for the foundation of a 1 storey building, is it really important/critical?
I think it would be more economical, saves time and ensures continuity plus maintains standard.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by spyder880(m): 9:09pm On Jul 28, 2015
erico2k2:

ah I see, I have to re adjust my plan then, well why we are at it, I asked if you got a good granite supplier in PH.

You know the truth about these guys, since I will not be around to guarantee his load, I will advice you look for a person closer to your location, these days I cannot guarantee most people.
Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by spyder880(m): 9:46pm On Jul 28, 2015
We are building a small boat here cheesy Just joking......
We built a curve for the second arc for this frontal works.......

Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by spyder880(m): 9:48pm On Jul 28, 2015
At the block of flats.... getting all levels done before the parapet, there will be a different style of parapet for this block of flats, different from the duplex.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by spyder880(m): 9:51pm On Jul 28, 2015
we will definitely continue tomorrow........

Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by erico2k2(m): 10:15pm On Jul 28, 2015
spyder880:

You know the truth about these guys, since I will not be around to guarantee his load, I will advice you look for a person closer to your location, these days I cannot guarantee most people.

Point taken.
Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jul 28, 2015
Perfect Touch Aluminium . Tel:08153665659,08067079715.
Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by spyder880(m): 10:12am On Jul 29, 2015
Carpentry for concrete fascia parapet. ......

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by erico2k2(m): 3:58pm On Jul 29, 2015
spyder880:
Carpentry for concrete fascia parapet. ......
looking nice

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by spyder880(m): 6:12pm On Jul 29, 2015
Working out styles for the concrete fascia on the block of flats. .......

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by spyder880(m): 8:11pm On Jul 29, 2015
Loading to move to site. .......

Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by nextstep(m): 8:38pm On Jul 29, 2015
If I had a building whose maximum width or length was about 8-10m, are there alternatives to concrete for the decking? In other words, has anyone used wood and plywood (finished with tiles or something) for the second floor? I've even thought of buying a container or two and cutting the four sides to use as the floor support.

I'm looking for pros and cons, as I'm trying to reduce cost but maintain safety. I haven't seen any building posts on nairaland that don't use concrete decking...
Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by spyder880(m): 9:57pm On Jul 29, 2015
nextstep:
If I had a building whose maximum width or length was about 8-10m, are there alternatives to concrete for the decking? In other words, has anyone used wood and plywood (finished with tiles or something) for the second floor? I've even thought of buying a container or two and cutting the four sides to use as the floor support.

I'm looking for pros and cons, as I'm trying to reduce cost but maintain safety. I haven't seen any building posts on nairaland that don't use concrete decking...

This is a thought provoking post, and I am sure there are alternatives to almost everything made by God in this world. But when it comes to Nigerian architecture, we are almost boxed in by the conventional approach that it will seem that its the only way.

I am sure you can build a wooden decking, I am certain because I have walked on a wooden deck built by the colonialists in Enugu back in the days. If you want to pioneer this in the mordern day Nigerian scenario, you will have to form a thick skin, refuse to listen to the conventional advice and go all out to seek an alternative to concrete decking. Just remember there will be a lot of obstacles on your way, and the cost comparative to concrete decking? It needs to be seen how much you can save cheesy cheesy

But the major problem I see in this is the sustainability of timber supply if more people wants to tow your line, how much more can our timber reserves be cut down to meet this new demand?

Now, metals as another alternative? I am sure there are metal formworks that can replace the use of concrete, but how cheap are they going to be. Your suggestion for the container may work, but I am afraid of the increased risk of electric shocks if there is a broken cable. You will have to spend good money on insulation of all cables. I have seen houses built with containers before.

Read more here..... http://amazingviewpoints..com/

2 Likes

Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by erico2k2(m): 10:53pm On Jul 29, 2015
spyder880:

This is a thought provoking post, and I am sure there are alternatives to almost everything made by God in this world. But when it comes to Nigerian architecture, we are almost boxed in by the conventional approach that it will seem that its the only way.

I am sure you can build a wooden decking, I am certain because I have walked on a wooden deck built by the colonialists in Enugu back in the days. If you want to pioneer this in the mordern day Nigerian scenario, you will have to form a thick skin, refuse to listen to the conventional advice and go all out to seek an alternative to concrete decking. Just remember there will be a lot of obstacles on your way, and the cost comparative to concrete decking? It needs to be seen how much you can save cheesy cheesy

But the major problem I see in this is the sustainability of timber supply if more people wants to tow your line, how much more can our timber reserves be cut down to meet this new demand?

Now, metals as another alternative? I am sure there are metal formworks that can replace the use of concrete, but how cheap are they going to be. Your suggestion for the container may work, but I am afraid of the increased risk of electric shocks if there is a broken cable. You will have to spend good money on insulation of all cables. I have seen houses built with containers before.
wher I live is wood plus metal,metal for support,wood for decking,Im on the third floor
Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by nextstep(m): 3:57am On Jul 30, 2015
erico2k2:

wher I live is wood plus metal,metal for support,wood for decking,Im on the third floor

Is this in Nigeria? Do you have any pictures of the build?
Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by nextstep(m): 4:07am On Jul 30, 2015
spyder880:

Yes, concrete and all that iron is so heavy and expensive. I did look into the H-beams (the type we use for water tanks) to see if they can be joisted into pockets in the wall, then welded together. I wonder what the cost compared to concrete and iron rods would be.

spyder880:

Yes, I've walked on wooden decking, and I am quite surprised that I haven't seen it in modern buildings. At first I thought it was because of the high humidity and threat of termites, but then again, we use a lot of wood for our roofs. I'll continue to investigate, but of course nobody (including me) wants to be the guinea pig especially if it fails.

spyder880:

Read more here..... http://amazingviewpoints..com/

Incidentally, the plan is to use 24V or 12V solar DC throughout this house, without any mains, so the risk of show is low, though there is still a need to insulate properly. We can probably use PVC conduits through the metal, then pull the wire through that... If a 40ft container goes for 400k, and I can get 4 spans out of it, it might be a cost effective alternative... I'll keep you posted on what I find.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by erico2k2(m): 9:56am On Jul 30, 2015
nextstep:

Is this in Nigeria? Do you have any pictures of the build?
ofcos not Nigeria but .in London.hiwever for high rise buildings it's con retention slab.the have a prefab one now from factory. I will upload pics later
Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by spyder880(m): 7:24am On Jul 31, 2015
The steps. ........

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by spyder880(m): 7:26am On Jul 31, 2015
Taking it round the whole house. ...... even as we build the scaffolding on the block of flats. ......

1 Share

Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by edshaf: 7:52am On Jul 31, 2015
Hello,

Going by the quality of work you are known for, can you please advice on the number of trips of sharp sand and cement that would be required for brick laying of say 5000 standard 9" bricks?

I have heard different opinions with cement: Some saying 1 bag of cement for 100 bricks, while other opinions, it is about 1 bag for about 50 bricks. Whats your advice please?

Regards.
Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by spyder880(m): 1:08pm On Jul 31, 2015
edshaf:
Hello,

Going by the quality of work you are known for, can you please advice on the number of trips of sharp sand and cement that would be required for brick laying of say 5000 standard 9" bricks?

I have heard different opinions with cement: Some saying 1 bag of cement for 100 bricks, while other opinions, it is about 1 bag for about 50 bricks. Whats your advice please?

Regards.

The average is 50 blocks. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by edshaf: 12:26am On Aug 01, 2015
spyder880:

The average is 50 blocks. Thanks.

Many thanks oga mi. What of the number of trips... roughly how many blocks will 1 trip cover?
Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by spyder880(m): 6:44am On Aug 01, 2015
edshaf:

Many thanks oga mi. What of the number of trips... roughly how many blocks will 1 trip cover?

Average of 10 bags to a trip of sand.
Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by spyder880(m): 3:59pm On Aug 04, 2015
Parapet fascia artworks straight from the stables of Spydercraft building systems.. cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by mufutau55(m): 4:01pm On Aug 04, 2015
spyder880:
Parapet fascia artworks straight from the stables of Spydercraft building systems.. cheesy

Oga Spyder... do you get to keep those nice parapet wood craft for another upcoming parapet construction?
They look too nice just to be used once and then discarded...

Hajji M.
Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by spyder880(m): 4:03pm On Aug 04, 2015
Kindly note, ladies and gentlemen, that the trademarks for these fine works has been registered. .... cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by spyder880(m): 4:05pm On Aug 04, 2015
mufutau55:

Oga Spyder... do you get to keep those nice parapet wood craft for another upcoming parapet construction?
They look too nice just to be used once and then discarded...

Hajji M.

If its immediate, then we can remove and reuse, but if not, it will spoil.
Re: The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" by mufutau55(m): 4:08pm On Aug 04, 2015
spyder880:

If its immediate, then we can remove and reuse, but if not, it will spoil.

OK. Thanks. It makes sense.

Hajji M.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (22) (Reply)

Roofing sheets: Current prices of all roofing sheets in Nigeria 2023 / Latest New Year Promo Prices For High Quality Imported Doors. / OUR Cctv Installation With Pictures..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.