Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,130 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. (6935 Views)

2017 Budget: The Aso Rock Budget That Deserves Your Attention by Saatah Nubari / This Thread Is For All Concerned Rivers People, Please Come In And Save Rivers / Interim National Government: One Propaganda Too Many (barcanista) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Ngasky(m): 9:52am On Apr 21, 2015
abouzaid:
a nuclear power plant anywhere in the north is a well planned disaster. but in Nigeria, every major work must be in the north cos they won the civil war.our current energy crisis is worsened by the location of hydroelectric projects in the north which leads to the poor supply during the long dry season there. the kaduna refinery is quoted in textbooks worldwide as an example of a plain stupid economic decision influenced solely by political consideration.
pls argue reasonably. Any power plant has to be close to source. It is a sheer foolishness to site gas power plant in the North currently as things are.
Likewise hydro in the SE/SS. It is not water that matters it is the velocity of flow of water. Did you know that Nigeria supplies Niger republic upto Mali with electricity? Even if we dont have we must give them. Why?
Becouse we dont want Niger rep. To build hydro on the river niger. If they build a dam that means Nigerias two baseload stations Shiroro and Kainji have to be given up becouse they cant produce electricity.
And yes nuclear plants most likely will be sited in the North due to engineering technicalities and for cooling water they have to be sited close to river niger or benue.
Maybe in the future when Nigeria started tapping oil from our part of the chad basin just like chad and niger republic are currently doing we can site gas stations in the north before then it is a folly adventure
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by dustydee: 9:54am On Apr 21, 2015
abouzaid:
prove your position with facts
You made the assertion so the onus is on you to prove it and I'd counter.

1 Like

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by abouzaid: 9:58am On Apr 21, 2015
gonon:

In the case of gas, under the NIPP project, the nearest power station to a major gas pipeline is 90km. That is why Prof. Nebo was shouting about vandalism, OBJ didn't plan the siting of power plants well. How can gas be in SS and you locate 3 power plants in the southwest and one in Kogi? Does that make sense? Do you know the km of pipelines that has to be laid including metering stations to reduce or sustain gas pressure to the gas turbines? Ordinary Geometric power plant in Aba has to lay 27km of pipeline alone. GEJ saw hell with the NIPP project, the guy saw that gov't couldn't sustain it hence he privatised the power sector.

For power generation through coal i know of one private company, Zuma Energy, that is currently working to achieve 1200MW. For hydro, lots of work regarding environmental, resettlement, logistics, finance and civil engineering most especially has to be done and this can take 4 - 5 years. Currently, am happy with the effort GEJ put in order to get Zungeru and Mambila of the ground but more needs to be done. Nuclear power plant is one of the most complicated plants because you major concern is safety, environmental and waste disposal.

That's why as an insider in the power sector, i laughed when Fashola said 8 months and GMB said 4 - 5 years. I don't like arguing with GMB fans because no matter how you want them to see things from your point of view they are not willing. Since GMB is a miracle worker, the part of the bible where God said "LET THERE BE LIGHT" is what am expecting from GMB and when he says this, wires and towers should appear and string themselves, gas/coal/hydro/nuclear/solar etc power plants with an ok tariff should also be in place. grin grin grin grin grin
your post is the most comprehensive and reasonable so far. I'm currently at zungeru and it pains me that president goodluck Jonathan won't be on seat when this magnificent work of his gets completed and goes into operation. obasanjo regime was the major cause of our problem today. he spent over 1 trillion dollars on electricity without anything to show for it.i don't want to even talk about his policies on steel, sea ports, cement manufacturing etc yet he turned around to work against Jonathan. that man is a curse on this nation and a known cia agent

1 Like

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by abouzaid: 10:04am On Apr 21, 2015
Ngasky:

pls argue reasonably. Any power plant has to be close to source. It is a sheer foolishness to site gas power plant in the North currently as things are.
Likewise hydro in the SE/SS. It is not water that matters it is the velocity of flow of water. Did you know that Nigeria supplies Niger republic upto Mali with electricity? Even if we dont have we must give them. Why?
Becouse we dont want Niger rep. To build hydro on the river niger. If they build a dam that means Nigerias two baseload stations Shiroro and Kainji have to be given up becouse they cant produce electricity.
And yes nuclear plants most likely will be sited in the North due to engineering technicalities and for cooling water they have to be sited close to river niger or benue.
Maybe in the future when Nigeria started tapping oil from our part of the chad basin just like chad and niger republic are currently doing we can site gas stations in the north before then it is a folly adventure
pls you're deviating from the issue at hand. pls tell how the narrow,sluggish and seasonal rivers in Niger state flow faster than those in the se and ss.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Nobody: 10:12am On Apr 21, 2015
arewafederation:

No sir, it is technically feasible and economically viable. Don't forget the APC promised 3000mw yearly.

Presently, the power stations in Nigeria have a capacity of 8000mw with some having provision for expansion. With proper maintenance, we can achieve up to 7,500mw in less than a year.
We also have the mambilla project with can generate 3000mw which I believe can be completed in two years along side other mini stations like the Kano and zamfara power station.

My friend, there are many ways we can have appreciable increase in power capacity even if not up to the proposed 20000mw, but I believe it is achievable.

Well, the context I am looking at the discussions from is based on building brand new power plants totalling 20000MW capacity. But let's look at ur argument here, telling us APC promised 3000MW is not the issue. We all know about their promises. Wat we are evaluating is d possibility of those promises being met-in this case power. All those things u stated up there are just theories. Increasing power capacity is a deliberate and sustained effort over a period of time. 4 years is too short to get to 20,000MW assuming the high tempo we have now is sustained. 20,000MW in 4years is political talk. 10,000MW is more realistic.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Ngasky(m): 10:14am On Apr 21, 2015
abouzaid:
pls you're deviating from the issue at hand. pls tell how the narrow,sluggish and seasonal rivers in Niger state flow faster than those in the se and ss.
Good please before we proceed may i know your discipline?
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Nobody: 10:39am On Apr 21, 2015
Ngasky:

already atleast one reactor has been working atleast for the past 8 years. If you happen to travel for 1000km in Nigeria that means you probable pass by this reactor without your knowledge. I wont tell you the exact locations but there are two reactors currently in the country (I only physically confirmed one) and also there are atleast two research reactors that are working since late 1980's. So where you aware of the risks? NO.
Nuclear power plant is the safest of all conventional power plants worldwide less than 0.5% per plant per year of operation.
What many people dont know is that every year there is about a dozen of mishaps or accidents in conventional power plants while in the last 25 years we have only 2-3 nuclear accidents and couples of small mishaps worldwide.

You go blame us? The Three Mile Island incident and the Chernobyl are actually responsible for the palpable fear of nuclear reactors. ...plus the recent Fukushima incident. ...These incidents are VERY rare like you've correctly said but the consequences of that one-off event could last for decades, and we're talking about Nigeria where safety is still sloppy and at best reactive.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:39am On Apr 21, 2015
Volksfuhrer:
You people's expectations have been so ravaged by incompetent, vision-less leaders that you no longer believe any government can achieve any great thing within a short period!

Gleefully awaiting your disappointment at the end of GMB's 8-year rule. (Grins out of thread.)

What do you expect from people like barcanista who are used to celebrating mediocrity of GEJ.

As long as we achieve a far better life than GEJ, then Gen. Buhari is a success and our votes saved us.

1 Like

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by mogentle(m): 10:40am On Apr 21, 2015
When GMB achieves the promises, Barcanista et al will come out and say "Gej prepared the way". Bunch of pessimists.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Nobody: 10:42am On Apr 21, 2015
mogentle:
When GMB achieves the promises, Barcanista et al will come out and say "Gej prepared the way". Bunch of pessimists.

Quit it already. No one is a pessimist here. We are only analysing the utopic promises based on the prevailing economic realities.

Who wouldn't love steady power? No sensible person will.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Nobody: 10:44am On Apr 21, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

What do you expect from people like barcanista who are used to celebrating mediocrity of GEJ.

As long as we achieve a far better life than GEJ, then Gen. Buhari is a success and our votes saved us.

Who has attacked and lampooned GEJ on NL more than barcanista? You guys need to quit the old game......
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by abouzaid: 10:50am On Apr 21, 2015
Ngasky:

Good please before we proceed may i know your discipline?
here is supposed to be an anonymous forum. make your points with facts and leave me alone.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by ba7man(m): 10:50am On Apr 21, 2015
Who's taking these TANoids serious??

If someone as dense as GEJ could scam them into believing his administration is the best thing to happen to Nigerians, do you think they have any idea what progress is??

They are just bitter English speaking dunces with smartphones.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Nobody: 10:57am On Apr 21, 2015
ba7man:

If someone as dense as GEJ could scam them into believing his administration is the best thing to happen to Nigerians, do you think they have any idea what progress is??

Oga wise man. How has ur ranting addressed the issue at hand? Can u see ur folly now? Oga wise man
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by abouzaid: 10:58am On Apr 21, 2015
faceURfront:

Well, the context I am looking at the discussions from is based on building brand new power plants totalling 20000MW capacity. But let's look at ur argument here, telling us APC promised 3000MW is not the issue. We all know about their promises. Wat we are evaluating is d possibility of those promises being met-in this case power. All those things u stated up there are just theories. Increasing power capacity is a deliberate and sustained effort over a period of time. 4 years is too short to get to 20,000MW assuming the high tempo we have now is sustained. 20,000MW in 4years is political talk. 10,000MW is more realistic.
10,000megawatts is feasible and if achieved is enough to get any band of illiterate thieves re-elected but at the rate things are going, any improvement in the next four years would be as a result of the completion of the power plants currently been constructed by goodluck

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Nobody: 10:59am On Apr 21, 2015
ba7man:

Grow up. It takes discipline to stick to a topic of discuss.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by obailala(m): 11:01am On Apr 21, 2015
barcanista:
I am compiling ALL his campaign promises in anticipation of his inauguration....
Life must be very difficult for Barcanista right now... After all his laudable efforts for the APC, just when he was so close to reaping the fruits of his struggles, a last minute miscalculation landed him on the wrong side of history thereby keeping him perpetually in the opposition. While his former APC e-warriors are presently smiling and resting from their years of struggle, Barcanista presently has his head on the grindstone digging up Buhari's campaign promises to commence his opposition duties again. What a life! undecided

@Barcanista, I however admire your resilience, many would have given up (at least for a while) and gone under the radar in shame or disappointment after the outcome of March 28th. But you still have your head held high and you are pushing hard. Unlike some other GEJ/PDP supporters who have lost their minds due to the election outcome e.g. temitemi1 who now only drops the "Fayose my Hero" comments, you still come up with reasonable arguments.

Finally all I can say is, "kudos to Barcanista, the perpetual opposition mercenary!" smiley

2 Likes

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by dunkem21(m): 11:21am On Apr 21, 2015
^^^ ^^ obailala ..

Please don't derail this thread. I am learning from abouzaid, dearpreye and other sound minds on the issue of power generation.

Kindly go to social programme thread to look for barcanista ..

Thank you.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by ba7man(m): 11:22am On Apr 21, 2015
dearpreye:

Grow up. It takes discipline to stick to a topic of discuss.
I don't discuss with 2 faced people ruled by their stomachs and bitter folks.

I don't take those kind of people serious.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by ba7man(m): 11:26am On Apr 21, 2015
faceURfront:

Oga wise man. How has ur ranting addressed the issue at hand? Can u see ur folly now? Oga wise man
What issue at hand can u address??

GEJ's administration was raping the nation and you were all cheering.

Now GEJ's been kicked out and u wanna start discussing issues?

Can you guys even define "issues"?
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Nobody: 11:30am On Apr 21, 2015
ba7man:
I don't discuss with 2 faced people ruled by their stomachs and bitter folks.

I don't take those kind of people serious.

Obviously, a lot of people still take him serious!

I do!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by bayulll01(m): 11:34am On Apr 21, 2015
Ngasky:

what a shame such illiterates analysis. You dont need more than 8 power plants of just 2.5 MWatts to achieve that. And 2.5 Mw plant is not even a major big power plant.

THIS IS FEASIBLE TECHNOLOGICAL AND ECONOMICALLY

Thank you jaree my bro,all we need is america should give a consent cos of the stringent law when nuclear reactor is concern,and I believe the will support us,since they know we have a competent leader,not daftt and moronic fellow,then partner with china and russia and see the impossible becomes possibility,one things about Tanoids is they want buhari to fail by all cost,so that they can self service and show their stupiidity.

N.B to the tanoid the fact that Gej av made you people to loose sense of reasoning and responsibilities,he has infested cluelesssness into the brain that you people can not withstand Good things,don't worry we will surprise you all,and if he fails we will CHANGE him.but worst of Buhari will better than the best of jonadoucce
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by obailala(m): 11:47am On Apr 21, 2015
dunkem21:
^^^ ^^ obailala ..

Please don't derail this thread. I am learning from abouzaid, dearpreye and other sound minds on the issue of power generation.

Kindly go to social programme thread to look for barcanista ..

Thank you.
I have no intentions of derailing the thread; a second look at the thread title shows I am not really far from reality.

1 Like

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Nobody: 11:59am On Apr 21, 2015
gonon:
I'm going to make an argument from my experience in the power sector as a Power Systems Engineer. It costs $1.5 million to generate 1MW by gas (If the pipelines and metering stations exist). For solar, it's depends on the technology involved which is far costlier than gas. For wind, it is 10 times more expensive than solar (Depending on the technology of solar). Coal is kind of cheaper than the rest. Now building a power plant above 750MW ranges from 15 months to 24 months (note this is just construction). From planning to design to logistics to financing to construction and commissioning takes 4 - 5 years except for Nuclear which can take longer than 5 years due to planning.
Secondly, the transmission capacity right now (last time I checked) is 6000MW. Distribution is a different matter entirely. My point is in order to get 20000MW to the country, we are looking in excess of $35 Billion for generation alone.

Anietie of futo has spoken
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by modupea: 12:20pm On Apr 21, 2015
abouzaid:
10,000megawatts is feasible and if achieved is enough to get any band of illiterate thieves re-elected but at the rate things are going, any improvement in the next four years would be as a result of the completion of the power plants currently been constructed by goodluck

Can you just for the sake of information list out those power plants being constructed and their capacity. this will enable us to know how much we will have on completion and attributes its success to GEJ.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by abouzaid: 12:45pm On Apr 21, 2015
modupea:

Can you just for the sake of information list out those power plants being constructed and their capacity. this will enable us to know how much we will have on completion and attributes its success to GEJ.
pls I'm very busy now but you can get the list of ten such projects complete with their capacity and location on this newspaper page www.thisdaylive.com/articles/fg-unveils-timelines-for-completion-of-10-nipp-plants/150756/. the total number is more than the listed ten. for example, the almost 800 megawatts been constructed in zungeru by the Chinese is not listed, you can run Google searches for more large projects going on especially here in the north.
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by gonon: 12:51pm On Apr 21, 2015
modupea:

Of the top of my head:
1) Zungeru hydro power plant = 700 MW
2) Mambila Hydro Power plant = 3050MW
3) Omoku II thermal power plant (gas) = 225MW
4) Egbema thermal power plant (gas) = 338MW
5) Ihovbor thermal power plant (gas) = 451MW (partly complete)
6) Kaduna power plant (LPFO/GAS) = 215MW (partly complete)
7) Gurara II Hydro power plant = 360MW

Others are power plants that can't be connected to the grid because they are below grid capacity and are under development are:
1) Kashimbila = 40MW
2) Gurara 1 = 30MW
3) Itisi hydro power plant = 40MW
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by MyMouth(m): 12:54pm On Apr 21, 2015
[quote author=abouzaid post=32941327]thanks a million, i know you can be counted upon.[/quote
Count on who? shocked chei! You much be deft or you don't value ur life! How can u count on a snake? Bacanistar would sell you as soon as he gets a bidder who is ready to pay him "protection"!
Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by queensmith: 12:54pm On Apr 21, 2015
30 000 power plants ke?

how many power plants do we have here in the UK?

brb

1 Like

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by MyMouth(m): 1:07pm On Apr 21, 2015
abouzaid:
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/buhari-
well-deliver-20000mw-four-years/ . i sincerely enjoy your analysis and would like to remind you of this promise by buhari that he would generate 20,000 megawatts of electricity within four years. i have don a little analysis and come to the conclusion that they would need to build atleast 30,000 new power plants within four years to achieve that which is not feasible. also remember the impossible cost implication. thanks and remain blessed
I have come to the conclusion that you are not only silly, you must be a brother to that lier barcanistar! For your information, Three Gorges Dam in Hubei, China, has the world's largest instantaneous generating capacity (22,500 MW), with the Itaipu Dam in Brazil/Paraguay in second place (14,000 MW). So we don't need 30,000 power plant to achieve jus 20,000MW!

2 Likes

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Krak(m): 1:27pm On Apr 21, 2015
abouzaid:
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/buhari-
well-deliver-20000mw-four-years/ . i sincerely enjoy your analysis and would like to remind you of this promise by buhari that he would generate 20,000 megawatts of electricity within four years. i have don a little analysis and come to the conclusion that they would need to build atleast 30,000 new power plants within four years to achieve that which is not feasible. also remember the impossible cost implication. thanks and remain blessed

Just like when they said the Hoover Dam could not be built.

Acheivers dont care about what you think about them, they just go on and do what they see while their critics were shouting themselves hoarse.

You know why? Because they see what people like you cannot see.

My friend nothing is impossible.

1 Like

Re: Barcanista, This Thread Is For Your Attention. by Nobody: 1:31pm On Apr 21, 2015
gonon:

Others are power plants that can't be connected to the grid because they are below grid capacity

What do you mean by the above?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bill To Separate AGF From Justice minister Passes Second Reading / Emir Of Gumel Blesses SDP Presidemtial Candidate, Adewole Adebayo / Heineken Lokpobiri: NNPCL Is Responsible For Refinery Renovations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.