Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:26 PM

Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) (55450 Views)

5 Interesting Reasons Why Suya Is Prepared In The Evening / Big Monitor Lizard Caught By Soldiers, Prepared As Pepper Soup / See The Cost Of Foodstuffs In Benue (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by tpiadotcom: 5:43pm On May 01, 2015
Sabiston:
This is what I survived on, growing up.

its not a main dish.

therefore, i dare say you are faking, unless you prove me wrong.
Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by juwoonn(m): 5:44pm On May 01, 2015
Chubbiehills:
toad is konkoo, frog is opolo.
op, the edible one is toad.u find dem in swampy areas and they usually make noise at night
Oga go and do proper research..
Frog is oyon..edible

Toad is opolo poisonous and not edible

2 Likes

Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by sacora(f): 5:44pm On May 01, 2015
guseman:
Its frogs not Toads. So delicious,tastes just like chicken especially the laPs...

We call it Konkoo...gone are the dayzs in my hood...
thought toad z Konkoo?
Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by shiki(m): 5:45pm On May 01, 2015
prettyjo:
wonder how. the meat will taste

It taste like "Anu mchi"
Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by tpiadotcom: 5:45pm On May 01, 2015
juwoonn:

Oga go and do proper research..
Frog is oyon..edible

^ i think i know frog as oyon.

the other name, konkoo, i may have heard it before but i'm not sure its commonly used.

1 Like

Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by juwoonn(m): 5:47pm On May 01, 2015
tpiadotcom:

konkoo is not that familiar per se, but opolo is the word for frog or toad, not sure there's a distinction between the two, although there might be sha.
Did u grow up in the US?
Toads are not frogs. The former has poison glands while the latter is edible

1 Like

Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by whyniel: 5:49pm On May 01, 2015
Chubbiehills:
toad is konkoo, frog is opolo.
op, the edible one is toad.u find dem in swampy areas and they usually make noise at night

Toad is Opolo while Frog is Konkoo.

2 Likes

Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by grandlexuz(m): 5:50pm On May 01, 2015
The frog in question is known as edible frog..Pelophylax exculentus It is a delicacy in France.

2 Likes

Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by DeRuggedProf: 5:51pm On May 01, 2015
tpiadotcom:

toads aren't edible.

SAYS WHO?
Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by eme1n(m): 5:53pm On May 01, 2015
AKA

Jumping Chicken....

1 Like

Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by tpiadotcom: 5:53pm On May 01, 2015
juwoonn:

Did u grow up in the US?

did you?

Toads are not frogs. The former has poison glands while the latter is edible

Opolo is not eaten, how any times will this be repeated on the thread?
Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 5:53pm On May 01, 2015
Are yall forgeting your basic biology? Toads have rough spots with shorter legs and the skin is always dry. Those rough spots on its body is what makes it poisonous, except you are a skilled chef, toads are always toxic to eat, hence not edible. Now whereas frogs, they have long legs and their skin is always smooth and slippery. And I think they have bigger eyes. I wonder how some of you passed Waec. See why expo no good.

5 Likes

Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by tpiadotcom: 5:53pm On May 01, 2015
DeRuggedProf:

SAYS WHO?

have you eaten them before?
Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by tpiadotcom: 5:55pm On May 01, 2015
let me clarify:

African or is it Nigerian toads are not eaten.

Frogs can be eaten.

I dont know how to make it simpler than this, for those who still refuse to get it.

1 Like

Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by juwoonn(m): 5:57pm On May 01, 2015
tpiadotcom:

^ i think i know frog as oyon.

the other name, konkoo, i may have heard it before but i'm not sure its commonly used.
U're very correct..some call it oyon while others call it konkoo
Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by samesolomon(m): 5:57pm On May 01, 2015
tchidi:
Ifiam. embarassed embarassed
that's what they are called in tiv
Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 5:58pm On May 01, 2015
Ogoni people eat it too, I tasted it when I was young, it was fried and cooked. Our tenant begged us to taste it, and I did. Believe me, the next time he cooked it, I stole it from the pot. The frogs didnt look as scary as these ones here, may be it was a different specie.

2 Likes

Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 01, 2015
tpiadotcom:

stop trying to mislead people, and that goes for the above poster too.

There are poisonous species of frogs, especially the one called arrow poison frog. These frogs are brightly coloured but full of poison, used as a defense mechanism against predators. Most species of toads if not all are poisonous.
Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by juwoonn(m): 5:59pm On May 01, 2015
tpiadotcom:

did you?

Opolo is not eaten, how any times will this be repeated on the thread?
Then we are on the same page.
Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 6:01pm On May 01, 2015
Toktee:
if you want to get the best of it,cook it with egusi soup,prepared akpu or pounded yam,ur life will change 4 gud.
You are so right. Our tenant when I was young, an Ogoni guy cooked that stuff. I stole the meat from the pot the next time. It was marvellous. I dont think I can resist it if I find such meal today. Believe me that stuff tastes great.
Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by chukxie(m): 6:01pm On May 01, 2015
Delicious. 'Yummy-licious' grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by Hawlahscho(m): 6:01pm On May 01, 2015
BenueBlog:
Delicious or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared in Benue (PHOTOS)

Smoked frogs are a delicacy for some, but not all Benue people.

Philip Paul is a frog seller - and he and his wife and daughter love to eat them. The family hails from central Benue state but live in the north-east, where people are not so keen on them.

The 25-year-old says the frogs are so easy to catch that he grabs them with his bare hands. At night he puts a bit of bait on rope and when the frogs jump he just reaches for them.

He then skewers them on a stick. Since 2008 he has made a business out of catching frogs in Adamawa state and exporting them to Benue, where they love them.

Mr Paul dries out the frogs by the side of his house in full view for his neighbours. This has not persuaded them to have a taste.

Once the frogs have been out in the sun for six or seven hours, Mr Paul smokes them.

The frogs are classified by size. He sells a skewer of 37 small frogs for N250

The stick with 34 medium frogs costs N300 and the stick with 24 large frogs is N600.

The frogs are cooked in a stew with spices, tomatoes, onions and chillies. Mr Paul tells his neighbours they taste better than fish but they remain unconvinced.
Will you eat this?

http://benue.com.ng/delicious-or-detestable-see-how-frogs-are-prepared-in-benue-photos/

You can try it someday, what do you think?

Opolo is different from Tantala

Don't go and eat Opolo and say them dey chop am somewhere, they So much look alike but d experts and addicts recognize them. Opolo is poisonous o.
Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by clemz88(m): 6:08pm On May 01, 2015
This is bujunua. please op get me the fried frog legs
Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by Shakazulu2: 6:11pm On May 01, 2015
Unyaamaaaa lipsrsealed lipsrsealed angry
Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by babyfaceafrica: 6:14pm On May 01, 2015
SammyHoe:
u make this mistake because u are probably a Yoruba. Why did I say so? Okay let me explain:

Frog = Akere
Toad= Opolo

But Yoruba make d mistake of thinking that frog= opolo. Frog has no poison and it is actually called akere in Yoruba but many Yoruba ppl think that frog= opolo
ori e pe gaan..please edit your post to most Yoruba make d mistake..cos I dont
Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by klax(m): 6:14pm On May 01, 2015
But the first picture look much like Toad all I know is Toad is edible but frog I guess not edible though I made wrong
Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by topazgold: 6:15pm On May 01, 2015
Dis very one is flog, is toad, it is called mbala in ibo language besides is delicious.
Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by Nicepoker(m): 6:16pm On May 01, 2015
Some people can't even differentiate frog and toad.

1 Like

Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by femijck(m): 6:19pm On May 01, 2015
The guy sef don dey use style resemble those frogs.
Asan oni jekuje.
Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 01, 2015
shiki:

Real Tiv babe .....I luv that

I'm actually Igbo, engaged to Tiv. smiley smiley smiley
Re: Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) by meforyou1(m): 6:25pm On May 01, 2015
tpiadotcom:

stop trying to mislead people, and that goes for the above poster too.
common misconception. I have learnt

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Eating And Sleeping In A Restaurant In Abeokuta / Big Snake Killed By A Nairalander Today!! / Photos Of Monkeys Killed Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.