Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,620 members, 7,809,280 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:12 AM

Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer (39105 Views)

The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. / Dear Nigerian Job Interviewers, Please Stop Stressing Us / 6 Annoying Things Nigerian Interviewers Do When Interviewing An Applicant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by Nobody: 3:06pm On Apr 27, 2015
Tunagee:

We are employers of labour so leave that shit! we cant all be looking for jobs that are already reserved for families and friends!People with the ugliest CV's are in better jobs you are here doing CV business.

I even know people who don't even know what their CV's look like and they have fantastic jobs

1 Like

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by ephi123(f): 3:11pm On Apr 27, 2015
baybeeboi:
i don't go for interviews...........I interview people.

The thread is "Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer" NOT "Do you go for interviews or Do you interview others"
The purpose of the thread is for others to learn, not a bragging ground undecided

16 Likes

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by ephi123(f): 3:14pm On Apr 27, 2015
shevon:
I went for an interview once and I was asked how much I was being paid at my (then) place of work. When I told them (the honest truth) everybody in the panel were like shocked
The lady that asked me the question simply told me "Even our MD does not earn that much" and I knew that was it, I will never get this job.

I'm sure you wouldn't have wanted the job either -- unless you were willing to take a pay cut.

3 Likes

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by wolegzy: 3:24pm On Apr 27, 2015
braine:
and you think they've not had many people tell them that generic line? I attended am interview in last April and I told him what you just mentioned. You know what he explicitely told me? "cut the crap, its all about money"! And I still had to mention a figure which later brought about negotiation. Indeed, he was correct, its all about the money.

Sometimes its not about the money o.
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by ewizard1: 3:27pm On Apr 27, 2015
If you are an Interviewer here and you disqualify anyone because of all these silly things i'm reading here.

"E no go better for you"

Imagine because someone started his Phone number with zero..."

6 Likes

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by olaniyanibukun(m): 3:35pm On Apr 27, 2015
OYINBOGOJU:
This wasn't but i think it happened to Nler.

After his phone rang singing aloud shoki shoki ehn shoki

The interviewer asked if he was there to look for shoki or to get a job.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahah

2 Likes

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by joe4christ(m): 3:37pm On Apr 27, 2015
mykerg:
Mine was at silverbirds Rythm 93.7..Everthing went on well till I was asked for my number and as I started with zero,I saw a certain change on my interviewers face and I knew that was it .I blew it..I was told I would be called back but never heared from them till date..

You should have asked, like ''Sorry, you mean my mobile number?''
That way, you will prove to them you're smart and wise.
But what number were they asking for

Modified

The interviewer was just being mean, the question should have been:
1) Name your amount
2) Mention your number (Only applicable when the subject of current discussion is on salary)

3 Likes

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by baybeeboi: 3:58pm On Apr 27, 2015
ephi123:

The thread is "Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer" NOT "Do you go for interviews or Do you interview others"
The purpose of the thread is for others to learn, not a bragging ground undecided
oh!
Smart you......at least you think so
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by baybeeboi: 4:00pm On Apr 27, 2015
fpeter:

with your monicker, I doubt your story.
and you are Thomas?
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by babacha: 4:28pm On Apr 27, 2015
My brother went for interview last week, at the end of the interview after salary discussion, the head of the panel ask him if he is married, how many children he have and where the family leave. He then told him u will hear from us and other members of the panel shake his hand and told him we enjoy ur presentation.
They spend more time with him more than the other 5 candidates. They were just 6 in number

Please what can u say on that reaction? Is it positive? I want ur comment pls

1 Like

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by tpiadotcom: 4:33pm On Apr 27, 2015
it depends on what type of demographic they are looking for, or which demographic they want to reach.

it seems somewhere like google, for example, hires mostly younger, single and maybe nerdy/party loving types.

however, the movie I watched recently, showcased an employer who was looking for someone with a high debt profile, family oriented and mature.

so, it depends.
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by Nobody: 4:34pm On Apr 27, 2015
Rilwayne001:
I was asked to tell them what I know about the company. I narrated all that wikipedia wrote about them and also all I have read from their official website, and I cap my narration with the point that they were the first org to introduce the MasterCard debit card, even though the interviewers were'nt aware of this fact, they were bent on argueing with me, I had to tell them to check this fact on wikipedia, the 2 ladies were just looking at me like **this guy don crayy** grin grin

One of them ask who my role model is, a question I never expected because I don't really have a particular role model. So I answered by saying, I have a lot of role model. The lady pressured me to mention a particular one of them, so I said Albert Einstein. She was like What!!! I quickly change it and said Wole soyinka. Even though they were expecting me to mention people like okonjo iweala or SLS, I tried as much as possible not to allow their pressure deter me to mention those 2 peeps cus I know nothing about them.

All of a sudden the interview started getting boring, So I was asked if I have any question for them. So I asked by bringing up the isssue of MasterCard debit card again, I asked them that if their org wasn't the first bank to introduced it then which bank did it? The lady replied me by saying "You can now go, there are lot of other applicants waiting to be interviewed" grin grin grin lols.

I was just laffing at my self on my way home. I never expect to see myself exhibit such liver grin grin lolsz..

I was called for medicals and other documentions a month after the interview cool cool
hmmmmm...so you work with mastercard right?
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by babacha: 4:36pm On Apr 27, 2015
tpiadotcom:
it depends on what type of demographic they are looking for, or which demographic they want to reach.

it seems somewhere like google, for example, hires mostly younger, single and maybe nerdy/party loving types.

however, the movie I watched recently, showcased an employer who was looking for someone with a high debt profile, family oriented and mature.

so, it depends.

The position is a matured position of 4 to 5 years experience and is more of supervising. Is an engineering field and he answer 85% of the technical question correctly
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 27, 2015
well i can tell you guys the subtle signs someone i know shows applicants which if they are smart enough they should pick up on to know that's the end of the road.

1. The interviewer sits back and stares at you after you just answered a question

2. A very slight shake of the head in response to an answer even though he/ she is smiling

3. the interviewer suddenly changes the line of questioning; eg; you where asked to explain what you thoughts on the money market after you answer just one question the interviewer suddenly jumps to are you married: this usually happens when your last answer was totally off point.

4. you watch the interviewers face and its clear he or she is skipping questions; or has the look of someone in a hurry- just know he/ she has already made up their mind that you don't fit at all!

5. The interviewee has a look on his/ her face tha says "someone kill me now"

these are all i have time for now, will add more maybe later

6 Likes

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by DanielPop(m): 4:43pm On Apr 27, 2015
This is what you should say when asked the inevitable "How much do you expect to earn question"

Honestly, i expect to be paid N500,000 because my work will improve your company's bottomline in the following ways. First, i will table before you a short term proposal to create Medical Referral Center's in your geo-political zone. Considering that this field is a competitive field, it is a first step towards securing your market share in your area of core competence so as to discourage competitors from moving in. That should increase your earning by about 40% of what it is today in my first year as your staff. In real terms, an extra N190m per annum. Cost of achieving this shouldnt be more than 30% of expected returns, if prudently managed (let your CV highlight that you have core competency in this area too). My plan also dovetails into sequenced expansion into the other geo-political zones in the mid term. I will detail the proposal in full if given the right platform!

Also, don't forget to add...

I was a part of the team that bidded for and acquired XZY company on a 15 year Public Private Partnership deal worth N3bn. That project is currently up and running and is verifiable. I want to join your organization because i understand you need someone who can play a leading role in business expansion, which my experience with XZY company has prepared me for. I believe the challenges in your company are exactly what i am looking for at this period as it offers a platform to avail my skills in helping your organization attain cutting edge status in your industry! And if you dont mind, i have a question for you?

Question:

Does your organization have a vibrant knowledge transfer policy? I intend to mentor and coach staff who will work under me, assuming i am employed, as future leaders of your organization because i forsee this organization expanding into a behemoth in 15 years and would need dyed-in-the-wool transformational leaders!

Guy,

Dem go hire you fast!

3 Likes

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by Readonee35L(m): 4:49pm On Apr 27, 2015
baybeeboi:

Nah! Not everyworker is interviewed you know.
Have you ever seen a local government conducting an interview?
# not that i work there though
If you dont need interview to work in the local government so why will you interview others that want to work in the local government?

1 Like

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by stanisbaratheon: 4:50pm On Apr 27, 2015
baybeeboi:
i don't go for interviews...........I interview people.

mtchewww bia this thread is not meant for you

1 Like

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by wolegzy: 4:53pm On Apr 27, 2015
DanielPop:
This is what you should say when asked the inevitable "How much do you expect to earn question"

Honestly, i expect to be paid N500,000 because my work will improve your company's bottomline in the following ways. First, i will table before you a short term proposal to create Medical Referral Center's in your geo-political zone. Considering that this field is a competitive field, it is a first step towards securing your market share in your area of core competence so as to discourage competitors from moving in. That should increase your earning by about 40% of what it is today in my first year as your staff. In real terms, an extra N190m per annum. Cost of achieving this shouldnt be more than 30% of expected returns, if prudently managed (let your CV highlight that you have core competency in this area too). My plan also dovetails into sequenced expansion into the other geo-political zones in the mid term. I will detail the proposal in full if given the right platform!

Also, don't forget to add...

I was a part of the team that bidded for and acquired XZY company on a 15 year Public Private Partnership deal worth N3bn. That project is currently up and running and is verifiable. I want to join your organization because i understand you need someone who can play a leading role in business expansion, which my experience with XZY company has prepared me for. I believe the challenges in your company are exactly what i am looking for at this period as it offers a platform to avail my skills in helping your organization attain cutting edge status in your industry! And if you dont mind, i have a question for you?

Question:

Does your organization have a vibrant knowledge transfer policy? I intend to mentor and coach staff who will work under me, assuming i am employed, as future leaders of your organization because i forsee this organization expanding into a behemoth in 15 years and would need dyed-in-the-wool transformational leaders!

Guy,

Dem go hire you fast!

Guy ! When was the last time you attended an interview in Nigeria?
Good write up though but it looks like a copy and paste material. #Justsaying

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by baybeeboi: 4:56pm On Apr 27, 2015
stanisbaratheon:

mtchewww bia this thread is not meant for you
but am here,chilling with the OP
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by baybeeboi: 4:58pm On Apr 27, 2015
Readonee35L:
why will you interview others that want to work in the local government?
my last line says otherwise.
Or you can read it again
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by tpiadotcom: 4:59pm On Apr 27, 2015
babacha:

The position is a matured position of 4 to 5 years experience and is more of supervising. Is an engineering field and he answer 85% of the technical question correctly

well, it depends on what the employers are looking for.

If he has that, then he's in.
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by sisqology(m): 5:00pm On Apr 27, 2015
EggovinMma:

I didn't
The quoted was what I said. The CEO looked at me and smiled, he knows I am trying to be a smart one by not giving him figures.

Haa sorry! I didn't read that well. hope it turned out positive lols
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by jahbiz: 5:04pm On Apr 27, 2015
mykerg:
...heared....
U must frustrated the interviewer spirit with your grammar.
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by Readonee35L(m): 5:05pm On Apr 27, 2015
baybeeboi:

my last line says otherwise.
Or you can read it again

Am replying based on the assumptions u made
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by 53cur3m0d3(m): 5:07pm On Apr 27, 2015
ExInferis:

By 'number' they mean the pay you think you're worth, not your phone number.

The salary question is best answered by referring to the industry standard, then factor in your qualifications and experience.
Neoteny! is this really U?
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by Hawlahscho(m): 5:10pm On Apr 27, 2015
mykerg:
Mine was at silverbirds Rythm 93.7..Everthing went on well till I was asked for my number and as I started with zero,I saw a certain change on my interviewers face and I knew that was it .I blew it..I was told I would be called back but never heared from them till date..

So what should you av started with?
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by Hawlahscho(m): 5:20pm On Apr 27, 2015
ephi123:

Bro, Did you just call that one "BRAGGING"?

It should be called NONSENSE undecided

Even if you must use bragging. it must be NONSENSE BRAGGING.

Mshhhw
I just ignored it once.

3 Likes

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by themodernman: 5:27pm On Apr 27, 2015
mykerg:

Now what's wrong is saying zero
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by Tats(m): 5:30pm On Apr 27, 2015
Many interviewers have various professional as well as personal reasons why they won't call you back.
Note that interviewers have a list of questions that they are supposed to ask you and at the end of the interview, they are expected to write a summary of your response to each question. In addition, they are expected to write an overall summary and recommendation (if HR expects them to).

I have interviewed many fresh graduates in the past both home and abroad and recognise that expert knowledge of a specific area is not required since they don't have experience. In such cases, Interviewers would usually be assessing skills relevant to workplace such as communication, problem solving, teamwork, analytical, leadership, organisation, etc and the questions asked will be tailored towards such skills. An interviewer could ask you questions relating to NYSC experience, project work in school, Industrial Experience, Group work, etc as they can give an indication of your work skills.

As for me, here are some of the things I watch out for and which may not get an interviewee a favourable outcome:
- Overconfidence/lack of humility (bordering on arrogance)
- Poor oral communication skills
- Incoherent responses to questions
- Answering questions wrongly even when the questions have been re-clarified (It is acceptable to ask if you didn't understand the question)
- Not asking intelligent or good questions when asked at the end of the interview if you have any question
- Inability to remain calm during an interview even when the environment is not tense
- Poor understanding of the role's expectation and/or what the organisation does
- No indication that you like to take on leadership roles
- Not being oneself (over acting)
- Little indication that you have been involved in solving problems

Note that if an interviewer feels like they cannot work well with you or you cannot fit in with the culture of the organisation, then they are likely not to recommend you for the job.

11 Likes

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by minwafor: 5:34pm On Apr 27, 2015
When an interview tells you that "your result is not smart enough, that in our country we only employ smart people".

That one still sends cold shivers down my spine.

2 Likes

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by minwafor: 5:34pm On Apr 27, 2015
When an interview tells you that "your result is not smart enough, that in our company we only employ smart people".

That one still sends cold shivers down my spine.

2 Likes

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by baybeeboi: 5:39pm On Apr 27, 2015
Readonee35L:

Am replying based on the assumptions u made
well,just wanted someone to know that you don't get interviewed for every job

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Security And Civil Defence Corp: Updates / I Have Been Invited For Shell Job Interview / Prison Service (federal Ministry Of Interior) Requitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.