Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,662 members, 7,823,876 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer (39159 Views)

The Real Reason Interviewers Ask This Question. / Dear Nigerian Job Interviewers, Please Stop Stressing Us / 6 Annoying Things Nigerian Interviewers Do When Interviewing An Applicant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by vicadex07(m): 5:42pm On Apr 27, 2015
mykerg:
Mine was at silverbirds Rythm 93.7..Everthing went on well till I was asked for my number and as I started with zero,I saw a certain change on my interviewers face and I knew that was it .I blew it..I was told I would be called back but never heared from them till date..

I don't get this...what's wrong with starting with zero
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by AgreatMan: 5:46pm On Apr 27, 2015
Tats:
Many interviewers have various professional as well as personal reasons why they won't call you back.
Note that interviewers have a list of questions that they are supposed to ask you and at the end of the interview, they are expected to write a summary of your response to each question. In addition, they are expected to write an overall summary and recommendation (if HR expects them to).

I have interviewed many fresh graduates in the past both home and abroad and recognise that expert knowledge of a specific area is not required since they don't have experience. In such cases, Interviewers would usually be assessing skills relevant to workplace such as communication, problem solving, teamwork, analytical, leadership, organisation, etc and the questions asked will be tailored towards such skills. An interview could ask you questions relating to NYSC experience, project work in school, Industrial Experience, Group work, etc as they can give an indication of your work skills.

As for me, here are some of the things I watch out for and which may not get an interviewee a favourable outcome:
- Overconfidence/lack of humility (bordering on arrogance)
- Poor oral communication skills
- Incoherent responses to questions
- Answering questions wrongly even when the questions have been re-clarified (It is acceptable to ask if you didn't understand the question)
- Not asking intelligent or good questions when asked at the end of the interview if you have any question
- Inability to remain calm during an interview even when the environment is not tense
- Poor understanding of the role's expectation and/or what the organisation does
- No indication that you like to take on leadership roles
- Not being oneself (over acting)
- Little indication that you have been involved in solving problems

Note that if an interviewer feels like they cannot work well with you or you cannot fit in with the culture of the organisation, then they are likely not to recommend you for the job.

I can relate with this.
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by chemister96(m): 5:53pm On Apr 27, 2015
viqueta:
Went for an interview last week, well everything was going fine until the how much do u want us to pay you question popped up and viola!! I think my price and that of the interviewer were too far apart that was when I knew that my chances of them calling me would be slim

I seldom post comments here, but I felt like encouraging you.....are the interview results out yet? If not, then I think you shouldn't rule out your chances. If yes, yet dont rule out your chances, because 'last week' isnt a long time past...Best wishes!

2 Likes

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by Bigdreams(m): 5:54pm On Apr 27, 2015
Good lessons being learnt here.

Thanks.

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by Emizy: 5:57pm On Apr 27, 2015
mykerg:
Mine was at silverbirds Rythm 93.7..Everthing went on well till I was asked for my number and as I started with zero,I saw a certain change on my interviewers face and I knew that was it .I blew it..I was told I would be called back but never heared from them till date..
lol.. what was the correct thing to say?
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by Rilwayne001: 6:02pm On Apr 27, 2015
Midehi:

hmmmmm...so you work with mastercard right?

I haven't start work, but I'm done with every necessary documention required. I'm only waiting for my employment letter.

The interview was with Skye bank human resources.
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by kristylopezz: 6:04pm On Apr 27, 2015
ExInferis:

By 'number' they mean the pay you think you're worth, not your phone number.

The salary question is best answered by referring to the industry standard, then factor in your qualifications and experience.

Eheeehhnn!....ok. Thank you!
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by Nobody: 6:06pm On Apr 27, 2015
Rilwayne001:

I haven't start work, but I'm done with every necessary documention required. I'm only waiting for my employment letter.

ok...wish you all the best.

1 Like

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by Chizzy20(f): 6:18pm On Apr 27, 2015
nyc1... am gaining alot.
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by chinkichun: 6:18pm On Apr 27, 2015
mykerg:

Too bad... One thing I learnt from 100 level GST (use of English) is that you don't pronounce the '0' in phone numbers as zero. Instead, you pronounce it as the alphabet O. I guess that really matters to them since it's a radio firm.

But I swear, na zero dey quick enter person mouth... grin... Zero 8 zero

2 Likes

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by tosynbolade(m): 6:20pm On Apr 27, 2015
tunmmyunited:
My matric number in school!

I see you Ajasco..lol

1 Like

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by chinkichun: 6:22pm On Apr 27, 2015
dcaliph:
please what is the right thing to say?

The right thing to say is the alphabet O... Not zero.
Like O-8-O and not 0-8-0.

2 Likes

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 27, 2015
chinkichun:

Thanks
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by sampete(m): 6:39pm On Apr 27, 2015
chinkichun:

Too bad... One thing I learnt from 100 level GST (use of English) is that you don't pronounce the '0' in phone numbers as zero. Instead, you pronounce it as the alphabet O. I guess that really matters to them since it's a radio firm.

What about nut 8 nut

1 Like

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by 12month: 6:40pm On Apr 27, 2015
chinkichun:

I don't think that is correct. My HOD back then always corrected us during presentation when we say our matric number like that.

It should be zero eight zero

For the guy that went to rhythm, d reason is still unknown

1 Like

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by Rilwayne001: 6:45pm On Apr 27, 2015
Midehi:

ok...wish you all the best.

Thank you ma'am smiley
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by chinkichun: 6:50pm On Apr 27, 2015
12month:

I don't think that is correct. My HOD back then always corrected us during presentation when we say our matric number like that.

It should be zero eight zero

For the guy that went to rhythm, d reason is still unknown

http://englishwithatwist.com/2013/04/09/how-to-say-zero-in-english/

You can Google more... I first got to know about this in 100 level... I don't know if this is applicable matric number.

1 Like

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by Nobody: 6:57pm On Apr 27, 2015
chinkichun:

Please don't ever use oh in place of zero in phone numbers or anything, irrespective of what your interviewer thinks. It is WRONG!
Besides, in this guy's case, I think there talking about salary, not phone number.

2 Likes

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by chinkichun: 7:09pm On Apr 27, 2015
ROSYL:

Please don't ever use oh in place of zero in phone numbers or anything, irrespective of what your interviewer thinks. It is WRONG!
Besides, in this guy's case, I think there talking about salary, not phone number.

...but I remember vividly in 100 level use of English, under telephone etiquette. It was clearly stated that we say the alphabet O instead of zero when dealing with phone numbers and I've seen the same online too. I'm not arguing, I can learn something new today. Just educate me why you think it's wrong. Thank you.
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by talk2yommex2000(m): 7:21pm On Apr 27, 2015
mykerg:

wat should u av started with?
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by marcusagrippa(m): 7:34pm On Apr 27, 2015
lordhugo:
Interviewer - Please state your name.

Me - LordHugo (not my real answer)

Interviewer - What are your qualifications?

Me - BSc. Geophysics , HSE - Stage 3, NeBosh - Level 2, Member NMGS, NAPE, AAPG

Interviewer - What is your sex?

..........Jesu........my 'SEX'?

Do i look like a girl? please check my profile pic!

Valar Dohaeris
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by Mekky2010: 7:36pm On Apr 27, 2015
I am a regular member of the interview panel in my firm, I once asked a girl what our company does and she replied that we mine steel...in shock I asked her what she studied, she replied chemical Engineering ...I then said, no more questions from me ...when an interviewer says no more questions after about 5 minutes of talking wit u.....its a goodbye.
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by kodlins(f): 7:50pm On Apr 27, 2015
I was asked that any still got the job!
olapluto:
'Do you have another job offer or interviews apart from this'- Meaning, we know we will not take you, do you have hope??
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by leonshom(m): 8:50pm On Apr 27, 2015
baybeeboi:
i don't go for interviews...........I interview people.
So, y are u here then

1 Like

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by tunmmyunited(m): 8:52pm On Apr 27, 2015
tosynbolade:

I see you Ajasco..lol

Bro, I c u too...... U too much!
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by baybeeboi: 9:02pm On Apr 27, 2015
leonshom:

So, y are u here then
because I didn't see any sign post that says ''Restricted to Job seekers only''
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by darlenese(f): 9:05pm On Apr 27, 2015
vfactor:

Then you should be able to tell us what you say when you know someone won't get the job

"We will get back to u"
grin
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by Nobody: 9:09pm On Apr 27, 2015
darlenese:

"We will get back to u"
grin

I was told that once by an interviewer at the end of my interview.

I ve now spent almost two years with the firm.
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by ExInferis(m): 9:23pm On Apr 27, 2015
53cur3m0d3:

Neoteny! is this really U?

Yes!
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by shevon: 9:23pm On Apr 27, 2015
ephi123:

I'm sure you wouldn't have wanted the job either -- unless you were willing to take a pay cut.
Not in this world!
It wasn't as if I was having issues at the office then. It was just that work was getting too monotonous they refused to transfer me to another department. It got so bad I willingly offered to work with the IT department at no extra cost to the office. If they had offered me same salary as I was earning then, I would have gladly left for the new place.
Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by dyfatai(m): 9:28pm On Apr 27, 2015
Rilwayne001:

What's d ruling in working in a riba based bank?

1 Like

Re: Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer by wroskian(m): 9:32pm On Apr 27, 2015
Tats:
Many interviewers have various professional as well as personal reasons why they won't call you back.
Note that interviewers have a list of questions that they are supposed to ask you and at the end of the interview, they are expected to write a summary of your response to each question. In addition, they are expected to write an overall summary and recommendation (if HR expects them to).

I have interviewed many fresh graduates in the past both home and abroad and recognise that expert knowledge of a specific area is not required since they don't have experience. In such cases, Interviewers would usually be assessing skills relevant to workplace such as communication, problem solving, teamwork, analytical, leadership, organisation, etc and the questions asked will be tailored towards such skills. An interviewer could ask you questions relating to NYSC experience, project work in school, Industrial Experience, Group work, etc as they can give an indication of your work skills.

As for me, here are some of the things I watch out for and which may not get an interviewee a favourable outcome:
- Overconfidence/lack of humility (bordering on arrogance)
- Poor oral communication skills
- Incoherent responses to questions
- Answering questions wrongly even when the questions have been re-clarified (It is acceptable to ask if you didn't understand the question)
- Not asking intelligent or good questions when asked at the end of the interview if you have any question
- Inability to remain calm during an interview even when the environment is not tense
- Poor understanding of the role's expectation and/or what the organisation does
- No indication that you like to take on leadership roles
- Not being oneself (over acting)
- Little indication that you have been involved in solving problems

Note that if an interviewer feels like they cannot work well with you or you cannot fit in with the culture of the organisation, then they are likely not to recommend you for the job.
Hello please, i sent you a PM, will like to ask you some questions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Have Been Invited For Shell Job Interview / The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! / Guinness Nigeria Global Graduate Program 2016 - Finance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.