Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,377 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:18 AM

Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers (26107 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: FG Intervention Temporal, Queues Will Resurface – Stakeholders / Power Scarcity, Fuel Scarcity: FG Appears Lost - Vanguard / Fuel Scarcity: FG Should Legalize Illegal Refineries - Murray-Bruce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Rockstar07: 6:25am On Apr 30, 2015
sammie06:
You better pay up all your debt.

Lol...What makes you think it's a debt in the real sense of it? It could be some part of it might be used as an avenue to divert funds by hiding under subsidy payments...#justmythought

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Bevista: 6:26am On Apr 30, 2015
BrokenTV:

You are wrong subsidy has come to stay, till all our Refineries start functioning at optimal. We cannot do away with it.
Nigeria's daily consumption of PMS is about 35-40 million litres. At optimal performance, all our Refineries put together can only process 12million litres/day. So you see, even at optimal performance, we will still need to import about 25million of PMS litres/day.

I am not a fan of subsidy, but I'm curious to see how the incoming government will approach the issue.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by VolvoS60(m): 6:27am On Apr 30, 2015
Burger01:

Guy, simply put, millions of dollars are being raked in from this subsidy scam. Like I said, subsidy is nothing but money siphoning conduit for the thieving cabals. What baffles me is how and why precedent governments had refused to put our refineries in shape..except of course that benefit few pockets in the government and their alibabas. I don't trust this government. What I want to see is total hauling of our refineries by naija engineers. We have resources capable of putting the refineries back to shape BUT the cabals won't allow for that...they can't allow for truncation of their subsidy scam.. Subsidy must go...and go ASAPsmiley

^^^^
Be careful when you say 'subsidy must go'... or those who support the wholesale plunder going on will take those words and run with them. The question you should be asking is for the government to prove there is a subsidy on locally produced and refined petroleum products. Everything else turns on this question. If there is no subsidy on locally produced fuel there is absolutely no reason for routine, continuous importation of costly, dollar denominated refined petroleum products from other oil exporting countries. It makes absolutely no sense to do this.

Avoid repeating slogans or soundbites such as 'subsidy must go' without exploring and understanding the real issues behind them...or you unwittingly become an accomplice to those who have an agenda...

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by XBLadez: 6:28am On Apr 30, 2015
kawkab:
In January 2012 when GEJ removed fuel subsidy, all hell was let loose by the opposition, labour union and civil society groups. If we had allowed subsidy to be removed then, by now the forces of demand and supply would have come into play in the reduction of pump prices of fuel.

Don't mind them. I think the price was 149 naira per litre; as at then Ghana was paying more and nobody was complaining
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Burger01(m): 6:28am On Apr 30, 2015
MizMyColi:

Did you support it in 2011?
Just asking...
I supported in 2011 because I was green. Now, it just have to go. Govt can sensitise the populace about it and put serious palliative in place to cushion the effects of the removal. We can't progress as a nation if we keep threading this path. That subsidy is a scam...a big scam.smiley
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by XBLadez: 6:29am On Apr 30, 2015
Pavore9:
Subsidy should go! kenyans pay over N200 per litre on petrol still transport fares are cheaper in Kenya than in Nigeria!
Even Ghana
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by MizMyColi(f): 6:30am On Apr 30, 2015
I think I agree with your post to a large extent.
Please what are your thoughts on the PIB that hasn't been passed? Perchance, if it were passed, would it ameliorate the subsidy issues? Especially the queues at filling stations?
Please school me.

VolvoS60:

^^^^
There is a subsidy on imported fuel. Agreed. The landing cost on Nigerian shores of a litre of refined PMS from Venezuela, Norway, Iraq or wherever is definitely above N87 or N97 or whatever price of the month we are being charged for it. The figures are on the PPRA website - the landing cost as at yesterday was N114.76. By the time distribution margins (totalling N15.49 as at yesterday) are factored in, the cost per litre of imported fuel stood at N130.25 as at yesterday, 28th April 2015. The government foots the bill for the difference between this so called 'open market price' of N130.25 and the pump head price of N87.

But is there a subsidy on locally produced and locally refined fuel? This is a question that the government has refused to answer clearly. After several years of controversy on this matter, successive Nigerian governments have refused to come clean on exactly how much it costs to drill and refine a litre of fuel here in Nigeria. Why is it so hard to release this information to Nigerians in a clear and unambiguous manner?

Because if the cost per litre of locally refined PMS (plus distribution margins) is less than the pump price of N87 or N97 or whatever, then there is NO subsidy on locally produced fuel, plain and simple. This is the information that has been carefully hidden from Nigerians for donkey years. The Obasanjo government hid this information. The Jonathan and Yaradua governments also hid this information. Why?

Because access to this information will raise questions as to WHY these governments refused to build local refineries and instead chose to enrich private interests through opaque fuel import license agreements. Fuel import licence agreements that give jobs and revenue to norwegian, venezuelan and iraqi governments and citizens. angry Fuel import licence agreements that give jobs and revenue to international shipping companies to move refined petroleum products to a country (Oh! Nigeria!) that has the raw crude sitting right under her soil. undecided undecided angry angry Fuel import licence agreements that enrich global oil traders like glencore. angry angry angry

If there is indeed a subsidy on locally produced fuel then the government should prove it with facts and figures if they can. The truth will make us free.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Burger01(m): 6:30am On Apr 30, 2015
VolvoS60:

^^^^
Be careful when you say 'subsidy must go'... or those who support the wholesale plunder going on will take those words and run with them. The question you should be asking is for the government to prove there is a subsidy on locally produced and refined petroleum products. Everything else turns on this question. If there is no subsidy on locally produced fuel there is absolutely no reason for importation of costly, dollar denominated refined petroleum products from other oil exporting countries. It makes absolutely no sense to do this.

Avoid repeating slogans or soundbites such as 'subsidy must go' without exploring and understanding the real issues behind them...or you unwittingly become an accomplice to those who have an agenda...
Ohhkay. But, should there be subsidy on locally produced and refined petroleum products
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by XBLadez: 6:32am On Apr 30, 2015
BrokenTV:

I will respond to you when i have the time.
Please don't. That dude is never objective
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by davidmason(m): 6:34am On Apr 30, 2015
Hmmm....wen its just my 1st time :-XHmmm....wen its just my 1st time
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by MizMyColi(f): 6:35am On Apr 30, 2015
Burger01:

I supported in 2011 because I was green. Now, it just have to go. Govt can sensitise the populace about it and put serious palliative in place to cushion the effects of the removal. We can't progress as a nation if we keep threading this path. That subsidy is a scam...a big scam.smiley

Okay, I asked because I remember it's one of those drastic steps that Jona took earlier, which made him lose popularity with the populace.
The cabals found a way to convince us, the man didn't have our best interests at heart.

I hope the cabals support it this time.

Besides, we can't just remove it if we haven't put measures and machineries in place to cushion the destabilizing effect it will have on the labour force. Sensitization is not enough.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Pavore9: 6:36am On Apr 30, 2015
XBLadez:

Even Ghana
It is so absurd!
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Ekeke1(m): 6:39am On Apr 30, 2015
Pls pay dem o...
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by XBLadez: 6:45am On Apr 30, 2015
VolvoS60:

^^^^
There is a subsidy on imported fuel. Agreed. The landing cost on Nigerian shores of a litre of refined PMS from Venezuela, Norway, Iraq or wherever is definitely above N87 or N97 or whatever price of the month we are being charged for it. The figures are on the PPRA website - the landing cost as at yesterday was N114.76. By the time distribution margins (totalling N15.49 as at yesterday) are factored in, the cost per litre of imported fuel stood at N130.25 as at yesterday, 28th April 2015. The government foots the bill for the difference between this so called 'open market price' of N130.25 and the pump head price of N87.

But is there a subsidy on locally produced and locally refined fuel? This is a question that the government has refused to answer clearly. After several years of controversy on this matter, successive Nigerian governments have refused to come clean on exactly how much it costs to drill and refine a litre of fuel here in Nigeria. Why is it so hard to release this information to Nigerians in a clear and unambiguous manner?

Because if the cost per litre of locally refined PMS (plus distribution margins) is less than the pump price of N87 or N97 or whatever, then there is NO subsidy on locally produced fuel, plain and simple. This is the information that has been carefully hidden from Nigerians for donkey years. The Obasanjo government hid this information. The Jonathan and Yaradua governments also hid this information. Why?

Because access to this information will raise questions as to WHY these governments refused to build local refineries and instead chose to enrich private interests through opaque fuel import license agreements. Fuel import licence agreements that give jobs and revenue to norwegian, venezuelan and iraqi governments and citizens. angry Fuel import licence agreements that give jobs and revenue to international shipping companies to move refined petroleum products to a country (Oh! Nigeria!) that has the raw crude sitting right under her soil. undecided undecided angry angry Fuel import licence agreements that enrich global oil traders like glencore. angry angry angry

If there is indeed a subsidy on locally produced fuel then the government should prove it with facts and figures if they can. The truth will make us free.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by borngenius(m): 6:47am On Apr 30, 2015
VolvoS60:

^^^^
Be careful when you say 'subsidy must go'... or those who support the wholesale plunder going on will take those words and run with them. The question you should be asking is for the government to prove there is a subsidy on locally produced and refined petroleum products. Everything else turns on this question. If there is no subsidy on locally produced fuel there is absolutely no reason for routine, continuous importation of costly, dollar denominated refined petroleum products from other oil exporting countries. It makes absolutely no sense to do this.

Wisely spoken my friend.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Okpueze1(m): 6:51am On Apr 30, 2015
Please let them keep on paying τ̲̅ђe subsidy to τ̲̅ђe oil marketers bcs if τ̲̅ђe fed.govt stops paying it, W̶̲̥̅ε̲̣ τ̲̅ђe masses will suffer to pay it and @ a higher cost.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by lukuluku101(m): 6:51am On Apr 30, 2015
austinesteve:

and u made it to fp grin

My brotherrrrr
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Nobody: 6:55am On Apr 30, 2015
MARKone:

It is very simple, get our refineries to work to full capacity, a lot of money have siphoned by these cabals, aided by the FG, all in the name of subsidy.

our refineries are too few to sustain us, we need not less than 10 refineries now
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Nobody: 6:59am On Apr 30, 2015
zingywingy:
Kk....please pay up ur debts before May 29, since u never inherited any when u assumed power.

Are u alright?
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by KEVIND: 7:00am On Apr 30, 2015
When President Jonathan asked for the total removal of fuel Subsidy in 2012. He said Nigeria cannot afford to continue with this fraud (SUBSIDY),But Nigerians called him all kinds of names and even took to the street in protest. Jonathan simply knows that by tackling coruption and to fight the cabals in the oil sector you don't need to put everyone behind bars but simply stop the source of all forms of corrruption and which he has started doing but we never believe in Him. I wish the President Elect success in his fight to end subsidy and deregulate the downstream and upstream sector of the economy.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:02am On Apr 30, 2015
Burger01:

So, what has the clueless government been doing not making the refineries to work? You can see the conspiracy and sabotage on part of the government. They are benefitting from the subsidy and so they wont give a hoot if the refineries work or nat. Ogbeni, subsidy must go and the refineries will be put in order. smiley

Sometimes I wonder why you guys miss this whole remove Subsidy issue. Corrupt governments in Nigeria will fight to remove subsidy while governments that favor the masses, you will see Fuel price go down.

If you buy petrol at #100, the government has to pay Marketers #50. Marketers collect and government scammers collect the #150.

Remove the Subsidy, you buy petrol #150, Marketers and government scammers collect #150.

So removing the Subsidy does not curb the so called corruption in the system. It just gives GEJ and his cohorts, more billions to steal.

Whether the government pays or we pay, the same so called Billions is stolen because the Marketers supply the government.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by wtfCode: 7:08am On Apr 30, 2015
GEJ na now u wake up?
*Smh*
he's doin' good lately...lemme call it 'last fight'.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by olamisowon1(f): 7:09am On Apr 30, 2015
It should be resolved abeg. I hate queuing for fuel. Imagine a fool offering me 10 litres for 2K yesterday.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by KEVIND: 7:15am On Apr 30, 2015
wtfCode:
GEJ na now u wake up?
*Smh*
he's doin' good lately...lemme call it 'last fight'.
2012 mass protest was for what purpose?
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Burger01(m): 7:15am On Apr 30, 2015
MizMyColi:

Okay, I asked because I remember it's one of those drastic steps that Jona took earlier, which made him lose popularity with the populace.
The cabals found a way to convince us, the man didn't have our best interests at heart.

I hope the cabals support it this time.

Besides, we can't just remove it if we haven't put measures and machineries in place to cushion the destabilizing effect it will have on the labour force. Sensitization is not enough.
Yeah, remember sometime in January 2012, the federal govt decided to procure 1600 transits buses for the masses as a result of subsidy removal. Labour should just sit for one corner and allow the govt do what's right for the masses. We must endure and we shall reap for it.smiley
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:16am On Apr 30, 2015
Double post.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Nobody: 7:17am On Apr 30, 2015
BrokenTV:

But when goverment wanted to curtail this siphoning of money the whole country wanted to burn down through protest. We have to live with oil subsidy till all our refineries start working.

This rubbish cannot be allowed to continue, I say remove subsidy already and let us know exactly what we are dealing with here, these oil marketers cannot continue to hold us to ransom in this country. You wake up one morning and you begin to hear 'No fuel, no fuel', for how long do we continue like this?

Buhari, take note. Subsidy must go.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Nobody: 7:18am On Apr 30, 2015
kawkab:
In January 2012 when GEJ removed fuel subsidy, all hell was let loose by the opposition, labour union and civil society groups. If we had allowed subsidy to be removed then, by now the forces of demand and supply would have come into play in the reduction of pump prices of fuel.

they will still blame GEJ again...its always GEJ...I cant wait for buhari to enter so that the blame game can start...

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Nobody: 7:20am On Apr 30, 2015
VolvoS60:

^^^^

Very brilliant analysis. God bless you!

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Mbediogu(m): 7:23am On Apr 30, 2015
MARKone:

It is very simple, get our refineries to work to full capacity, a lot of money have siphoned by these cabals, aided by the FG, all in the name of subsidy.

It is not enough to get the refineries working. They soon break down from poor maintenance or sabotage. CLEAN THE SPACE AND GET RID OF THE STRONG CABAL ...THE RAWLINGS' WAY WHICH REMAINS THE ONLY WAY.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Mbediogu(m): 7:23am On Apr 30, 2015
MARKone:

It is not enough to get the refineries working. They soon break down from poor maintenance or sabotage. CLEAN THE ECONOMIC SPACE AND GET RID OF THE STRONG CABAL ...THE RAWLINGS' WAY WHICH REMAINS THE ONLY WAY.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by VolvoS60(m): 7:23am On Apr 30, 2015
MizMyColi:
I think I agree with your post to a large extent.
Please what are your thoughts on the PIB that hasn't been passed? Perchance, if it were passed, would it ameliorate the subsidy issues? Especially the queues at filling stations?
Please school me.

^^^

School you? grin I'm no expert.

I agree broadly with the provisions of the PIB. Its been a while since I looked at its provisions in detail (particularly since there were so many versions of it flying about) but I support the provisions on local content, HSE and regulation of IOCs. However, there are some sections I disagree with.

I disagree with the vesting of ownership of petroleum resources in the federal government. Ownership should reside in individual landowners/communities and taxes/royalties should be paid to municipal, state and federal governments. I recognize that this will require changes to Nigerian law - the Land Use Act for one will have to be amended for my suggestion to have any effect. Whether this will happen now or in the next 1000 years is anybody's guess.

I am also concerned about the powers granted (section 191) to the President to grant PPLs and PMLs in so-called 'special circumstances'. undecided These discretionary powers are one of the root causes of the problems in the sector today. Where is the oversight? What constitutes 'special circumstances'? The President also has broad sweeping powers to hire and fire board and agency members at will. Have we not learnt anything?

I strongly disagree with the exemption of the NPAMCL from the Fiscal Responsibility Act and the Public Procurement Act. How does this serve the public interest? undecided

As to whether the PIB will solve subsidy issues and fuel queues - I have to admit I am a bit unsure. The Bill speaks extensively about gas pricing but doesn't go into similar detail on refined petroleum products - it simply says that downstream petroleum pricing will be deregulated. Curiously, it also states that the regulatory agency will set cost benchmarks for downstream operations. What this means in actual implementation remains unclear.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Richest Politicians In Nigeria: See The Top 10 (LATEST UPDATE) / Nigeria Election: What We Expect From Buhari’s Re-election – Theresa May / Okezie Ikpeazu Hosts Yahaya Bello At Government House In Umuahia (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.