Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,151 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:30 AM

Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers (25751 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: FG Intervention Temporal, Queues Will Resurface – Stakeholders / Power Scarcity, Fuel Scarcity: FG Appears Lost - Vanguard / Fuel Scarcity: FG Should Legalize Illegal Refineries - Murray-Bruce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Toks2008(m): 7:25am On Apr 30, 2015
Burger01:
Subsidy has got to go. Remove subsidy and let's know what we are facing. Rome was not built in a day. We should be sensitised and palliatives put in place to cushion the effects of subsidy removal. Subsidy must go. It's a thieving conduit for the subsidy cabals. smiley

Oh my..

Why do we youths still reason this way.

WAS THERE SURPOSE TO BE SUBSIDY IN THE FIRST PLACE?

A

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by eluquenson(m): 7:25am On Apr 30, 2015
Jonathan pls stop deceiving the whole nation

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by doninno(m): 7:26am On Apr 30, 2015
So if they didn't make d fuel scars he wont av paid them

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by sweetgala(m): 7:27am On Apr 30, 2015
Nigerians will agree that the government is making good effort to accom­modate the oil marketers

Ridiculous that is over 450 billion naira over a few months, this is ridiculous, monies are just being paid to unknown faces for no good reason. The production refinery and distribution of petroleum products should be government business or streamlined to a handful(Max 4) companies who can handle the business

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Nobody: 7:29am On Apr 30, 2015
Fuel subsidy should be removed so there can be healthy competition among oil marketers in the downstream sector, and prices determined by forces of demand and supply. The govt. Just like in other sectors should emblace a law enforcing a cap on the pumo prices so it doesn't go above the he market price.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by 989900: 7:33am On Apr 30, 2015
Bevista:
Nigeria's daily consumption of PMS is about 35-40 million litres. At optimal performance, all our Refineries put together can only process 12million litres/day. So you see, even at optimal performance, we will still need to import about 25million of PMS litres/day.

I am not a fan of subsidy, but I'm curious to see how the incoming government will approach the issue.

30-40 million litres/day?

Don't bank on those figures, those figures have been altered to suit the loot on subsidy payments . . . even the products that are being diverted to Cotonou and other neighbouring countries, plus the ones that are just 'virtual/on-paper' products.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by SIRICE(m): 7:39am On Apr 30, 2015
KEVIND:
When President Jonathan asked for the total removal of fuel Subsidy in 2012. He said Nigeria cannot afford to continue with this fraud (SUBSIDY),But Nigerians called him all kinds of names and even took to the street in protest. Jonathan simply knows that by tackling coruption and to fight the cabals in the oil sector you don't need to put everyone behind bars but simply stop the source of all forms of corrruption and which he has started doing but we never believe in Him. I wish the President Elect success in his fight to end subsidy and deregulate the downstream and upstream sector of the economy.
most nigerians are educated ignoramuses sorry to say. they pretend to know but they know nothang

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by tete7000(m): 7:44am On Apr 30, 2015
idupaul:
I want to see how Buhari will tackle this subsidy cartel

MARKone:

It is very simple, get our refineries to work to full capacity, a lot of money have siphoned by these cabals, aided by the FG, all in the name of subsidy.

As so long as their is subsidy, the incentives to ensure refineries do not work exists. The way to make refineries work is to end subsidy and open up the downstream sector for competition. It's going to be difficult to curb subsidy corruption as long as subsidy itself exists and people can make cheap billions without doing much. We need to stop deceiving ourselves and do the needful. On a short term it will be painful but on the long term we all stand to benefit.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:46am On Apr 30, 2015
rychard:
Fuel subsidy should be removed so there can be healthy competition among oil marketers in the downstream sector, and prices determined by forces of demand and supply. The govt. Just like in other sectors should emblace a law enforcing a cap on the pumo prices so it doesn't go above the he market price.

How does the masses paying the Subsidy money instead of the government make the competition in the market healthy.

GEJ's removal of petrol Subsidy means the masses pay the subsidy money instead of the government.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by kuntash: 7:53am On Apr 30, 2015
in all these subsidy talk, what did I hear NLC & TUC say? I think the FG has earned more respect that them now because they are yet to conduct a credible election to appoint their leaders... currently they have two factions....

imagine they talking about halting govt if subsidy is removed ...lol cheesy

some weeks ago, I was checking the price of a barrel of Brent crude oil in $USD.. and to know the quantity in liters of products that can be gotten from a barrel.

I put myself in the position of a refinery operator/owner, and based on my calculations, to make profit and run the biz efficiently, the pump price of petrol, diesel and Kerosene etc would be higher than what is currently sold. note- this was when a barrel was around $50+

and we have had a barrel hovering more than $100USD...

so based on these, to remove subsidy by govt completely , prices of products would be jacked up a bit..

the likes of Labour Unions and other similar bodies are somewhat lured by those who directly benefit from the subsidy to instigate the workers and average Nigerian to resist this move on their behalf...

Jan 2012 was a period we would sure remember GEJ for, but was thrown off and the Cabals won....

Those who resisted vehemently the subsidy removal of 2012 by insulting the govt and GEJ in particular, would be able to buy 20litres of PMS for N5000 right now, but the vulcanizer and danfo driver that joined them in the campaign can not afford such...

who is decieving who?

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:05am On Apr 30, 2015
kuntash:
in all these subsidy talk, what did I hear NLC & TUC say? I think the FG has earned more respect that them now because they are yet to conduct a credible election to appoint their leaders... currently they have two factions....

imagine they talking about halting govt if subsidy is removed ...lol cheesy

some weeks ago, I was checking the price of a barrel of Brent crude oil in $USD.. and to know the quantity in liters of products that can be gotten from a barrel.

I put myself in the position of a refinery operator/owner, and based on my calculations, to make profit and run the biz efficiently, the pump price of petrol, diesel and Kerosene etc would be higher than what is currently sold. note- this was when a barrel was around $50+

and we have had a barrel hovering more than $100USD...

so based on these, to remove subsidy by govt completely , prices of products would be jacked up a bit..

the likes of Labour Unions and other similar bodies are somewhat lured by those who directly benefit from the subsidy to instigate the workers and average Nigerian to resist this move on their behalf...

Jan 2012 was a period we would sure remember GEJ for, but was thrown off and the Cabals won....

Those who resisted vehemently the subsidy removal of 2012 by insulting the govt and GEJ in particular, would be able to buy 20litres of PMS for N5000 right now, but the vulcanizer and danfo driver that joined them in the campaign can not afford such...

who is decieving who?

The Cabals did not win anything. The Cabals are GEJ and his cohorts. Why do you think we have missing billions of dollars in the NNPC?

Diesel has no subsidy and when the international price of Petroleum products dropped, Diesel price in Nigeria did not drop, Why? Because the Marketers controlled the Market. That'd is the kind of Plan GEJ had and the people succeeded. Not GEJ and his cabals.

NOI said they wanted to increase NEPA tariffs but they did not because of the fear of Protest. That was a victory of the people. Slowly, the people will control the government and not crooks like the one from Otuoke.

5 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Nobody: 8:07am On Apr 30, 2015
VolvoS60:

^^^^
There is a subsidy on imported fuel. Agreed. The landing cost on Nigerian shores of a litre of refined PMS from Venezuela, Norway, Iraq or wherever is definitely above N87 or N97 or whatever price of the month we are being charged for it. The figures are on the PPRA website - the landing cost as at yesterday was N114.76. By the time distribution margins (totalling N15.49 as at yesterday) are factored in, the cost per litre of imported fuel stood at N130.25 as at yesterday, 28th April 2015. The government foots the bill for the difference between this so called 'open market price' of N130.25 and the pump head price of N87.

But is there a subsidy on locally produced and locally refined fuel? This is a question that the government has refused to answer clearly. After several years of controversy on this matter, successive Nigerian governments have refused to come clean on exactly how much it costs to drill and refine a litre of fuel here in Nigeria. Why is it so hard to release this information to Nigerians in a clear and unambiguous manner?

Because if the cost per litre of locally refined PMS (plus distribution margins) is less than the pump price of N87 or N97 or whatever, then there is NO subsidy on locally produced fuel, plain and simple. This is the information that has been carefully hidden from Nigerians for donkey years. The Obasanjo government hid this information. The Jonathan and Yaradua governments also hid this information. Why?

Because access to this information will raise questions as to WHY these governments refused to build local refineries and instead chose to enrich private interests through opaque fuel import license agreements. Fuel import licence agreements that give jobs and revenue to norwegian, venezuelan and iraqi governments and citizens. angry Fuel import licence agreements that give jobs and revenue to international shipping companies to move refined petroleum products to a country (Oh! Nigeria!) that has the raw crude sitting right under her soil. undecided undecided angry angry Fuel import licence agreements that enrich global oil traders like glencore. angry angry angry

If there is indeed a subsidy on locally produced fuel then the government should prove it with facts and figures if they can. The truth will make us free.

You should have saved yourself this lengthy grammar by just looking up the word 'importers' in the dictionary. Only importers are paid, what ever is produced locally is not paid. And even at 100% capacity, our 4 refineries can not produce enough for our generators not to talk about cars.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:08am On Apr 30, 2015
tete7000:

As so long as their is subsidy, the incentives to ensure refineries do not work exists. The way to make refineries work is to end subsidy and open up the downstream sector for competition. It's going to be difficult to curb subsidy corruption as long as subsidy itself exists and people can make cheap billions without doing much. We need to stop deceiving ourselves and do the needful. On a short term it will be painful but on the long term we all stand to benefit.

When the Marketers control the market and they can hike up Petrol price to whatever benefits them, why will the marketers want Refineries.

Removal of Subsidy does not mean the marketers do not get their money. It means the masses pays them. They will not want the refinery.

The reason we have no refinery is because we have corrupt government officials who prefer to steal from the masses than provide for the masses.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Bevista: 8:26am On Apr 30, 2015
989900:

30-40 million litres/day?

Don't bank on those figures, those figures have been altered to suit the loot on subsidy payments . . . even the products that are being diverted to Cotonou and other neighbouring countries, plus the ones that are just 'virtual/on-paper' products.
I cannot disagree with you bro, stranger things have happened. In 2011, that figure even shut up to 68million (remember subsidy shutting up above N1trillion).

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by searider(m): 8:36am On Apr 30, 2015
XBLadez:

Don't allow hate becloud your common sense of reasoning! If the FG had kept silent and allowed this scarcity trauma to linger, with all the queues and traffic bothering our road, you yourself would still come out yell "clueless"
This is not the first time we are experiencing scarcity of fuel and the long queues.

I don't think expressing my opinion seem anything near hate.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by blank(f): 8:36am On Apr 30, 2015
GEJ, why wait until the nation shuts down because of lack of fuel?

Even aviation fuel is scarce. I am so vexed.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by tete7000(m): 8:53am On Apr 30, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

When the Marketers control the market and they can hike up Petrol price to whatever benefits them, why will the marketers want Refineries.

Removal of Subsidy does not mean the marketers do not get their money. It means the masses pays them. They will not want the refinery.

The reason we have no refinery is because we have corrupt government officials who prefer to steal from the masses than provide for the masses.

If the market is appropriately deregulated and enough market operators licensed, you can't have arbitrary price increase because competition forces the price down. It is the situation we have now whereby NNPC controls the market and prices that discourage competition. If I may ask you: As an individual, can you invest in a market that fix price and discourages you from making immediate profit on your investment? Marketers buy products, sell at govt price and wait for months to get the excess they incurred. Within that period their money is held down and they can't turn it around. If you do basic economics, you will know money has time value and holding peoples' money down itself is a discouragement to investment. Many people who would have invested in the downstream of our oil sector would because of that rather invest their money elsewhere where they can immediately get return on their money. One of the real reasons why about eleven private refineries licensed by Obasanjo never took off.
It is not marketers that prevent refineries from working, it is people in government who benefit from importation created by a regulated economy. If the market is deregulated, many of the marketers have a lot to gain by pooling resources together to build refineries than continuously depending on importation. Subsidy effectively creates corruption and even if you choose to run after the cabals, the money that would be spent chasing them itself is going to enormous and can be invested elsewhere. Why don't we just deregulate, open the market to competition and save ourselves all these stress.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by kaboninc(m): 9:05am On Apr 30, 2015
VolvoS60:

^^^^
There is a subsidy on imported fuel. Agreed. The landing cost on Nigerian shores of a litre of refined PMS from Venezuela, Norway, Iraq or wherever is definitely above N87 or N97 or whatever price of the month we are being charged for it. The figures are on the PPRA website - the landing cost as at yesterday was N114.76. By the time distribution margins (totalling N15.49 as at yesterday) are factored in, the cost per litre of imported fuel stood at N130.25 as at yesterday, 28th April 2015. The government foots the bill for the difference between this so called 'open market price' of N130.25 and the pump head price of N87.

That is exactly what it is. The government foots the fill on subsidy on imported fuel ONLY! Public records have shown that. MOMAN, NNPC and some Independent Oil Marketing companies all Import fuel.

But is there a subsidy on locally produced and locally refined fuel? This is a question that the government has refused to answer clearly. After several years of controversy on this matter, successive Nigerian governments have refused to come clean on exactly how much it costs to drill and refine a litre of fuel here in Nigeria. Why is it so hard to release this information to Nigerians in a clear and unambiguous manner?

There is no subsidy on locally refined fuel. The local refineries refine their fuel and sell at the market price (I think same as the aggregate price) NNPC claims that they buy crude at international market price and hence must sell at same price. Why has successive government failed to re-position the local refineries? It is because as it stands, importing petroleum products is more profitable to these businessmen and hence will do everything possible to frustrate government's effort at re positioning the refineries - including the labour. Why would people enjoy sabotaging crude oil pipelines? They just don't do it because selling stolen crude oil is lucrative but also destroying the plants that refine the crude oil. A contract will be given to repair the pipelines and money gets wings. I strongly believe all these criminal activities are linked in one way or the other. Focus has always been on the imports segment because the state of the local refineries cannot meet the local demand of PMS. It is believed that kerosene (a commodity that must be seriously looked into) and PMS are products that the Nigerian people can say, yes we are getting a share of the National Cake. Look at kerosene, how can you buy it at 40.90k and sell at over 130 per liter? The excuse is that the aviation companies use this fuel and hence the 'scarcity'. Mind you, these aviation companies were supposed to buy at the current market price. You see, all these contribute to the rot in that industry.

Also, there is the local refinery like the Niger Delta Petroleum Resources (target commodity is diesel) and hopefully, Orient Petroleum which I believe should be working towards establishing one. Then the Dangote Refinery which hopefully, will be coming on stream in 2017. Then Forte Oil, Oando I hope will continue pushing their interest in establishing a refinery in Nigeria.

Because access to this information will raise questions as to WHY these governments refused to build local refineries and instead chose to enrich private interests through opaque fuel import license agreements. Fuel import licence agreements that give jobs and revenue to norwegian, venezuelan and iraqi governments and citizens. angry Fuel import licence agreements that give jobs and revenue to international shipping companies to move refined petroleum products to a country (Oh! Nigeria!) that has the raw crude sitting right under her soil. undecided undecided angry angry Fuel import licence agreements that enrich global oil traders like glencore. angry angry angry

If there is indeed a subsidy on locally produced fuel then the government should prove it with facts and figures if they can. The truth will make us free.

The current capacity of all refineries is 445,000 barrels per day. NNPC gets this crude at the current international price, and because the refineries are in a comatose state, a fragment is sent to some of these local refineries while the remaining is swapped for other petroleum derivatives from refineries outside the country.

The previous government did try by selling the refineries (at the last minute but was revoked by the incoming government) and this government wanted to curb the rot by removing subsidy. What attracts the continued rot is the subsidy - you can claim to import but never did and get paid for product never purchased in the first place. Have you also observed that the AGO market has not attracted the scandal as with the PMS and Kerosene?

Another issue is the Labour unions.

My advice for the incoming government is to SELL all public refineries, restructure the NNPC and completely remove subsidy as with the recommendations of the Senate Committee and PwC reports. We have the raw products, we have the capability to refine the raw products. We must develop the will to do the job!

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Flameneo(m): 9:15am On Apr 30, 2015
Burger01:
Subsidy has got to go. Remove subsidy and let's know what we are facing. Rome was not built in a day. We should be sensitised and palliatives put in place to cushion the effects of subsidy removal. Subsidy must go. It's a thieving conduit for the subsidy cabals. smiley

Nigeria shall be great

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by tete7000(m): 9:16am On Apr 30, 2015
kaboninc:

NNPC claims that they buy crude at international market price !

Yes, NNPC must buy at international price. Not doing so creates price differential between us and neighbouring countries and hence create incentive for cross-border smuggling. It will become cheaper taking the crude across the border, selling it and making profit with least effort than to spend energy refining it.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by baralatie(m): 9:17am On Apr 30, 2015
MARKone:

It is very simple, get our refineries to work to full capacity, a lot of money have siphoned by these cabals, aided by the FG, all in the name of subsidy.
na beans!
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by baralatie(m): 9:19am On Apr 30, 2015
kaboninc:

That is exactly what it is. The government foots the fill on subsidy on imported fuel ONLY! Public records have shown that. MOMAN, NNPC and some Independent Oil Marketing companies all Import fuel.

There is no subsidy on locally refined fuel. The local refineries refine their fuel and sell at the market price (I think same as the aggregate price) NNPC claims that they buy crude at international market price and hence must sell at same price. Why has successive government failed to re-position the local refineries? It is because as it stands, importing petroleum products is more profitable to these businessmen and hence will do everything possible to frustrate government's effort at re positioning the refineries - including the labour. Why would people enjoy sabotaging crude oil pipelines? They just don't do it because selling stolen crude oil is lucrative but also destroying the plants that refine the crude oil. A contract will be given to repair the pipelines and money gets wings. I strongly believe all these criminal activities are linked in one way or the other. Focus has always been on the imports segment because the state of the local refineries cannot meet the local demand of PMS. It is believed that kerosene (a commodity that must be seriously looked into) and PMS are products that the Nigerian people can say, yes we are getting a share of the National Cake. Look at kerosene, how can you buy it at 40.90k and sell at over 130 per liter? The excuse is that the aviation companies use this fuel and hence the 'scarcity'. Mind you, these aviation companies were supposed to buy at the current market price. You see, all these contribute to the rot in that industry.

Also, there is the local refinery like the Niger Delta Petroleum Resources (target commodity is diesel) and hopefully, Orient Petroleum which I believe should be working towards establishing one. Then the Dangote Refinery which hopefully, will be coming on stream in 2017. Then Forte Oil, Oando I hope will continue pushing their interest in establishing a refinery in Nigeria.

The current capacity of all refineries is 445,000 barrels per day. NNPC gets this crude at the current international price, and because the refineries are in a comatose state, a fragment is sent to some of these local refineries while the remaining is swapped for other petroleum derivatives from refineries outside the country.

The previous government did try by selling the refineries (at the last minute but was revoked by the incoming government) and this government wanted to curb the rot by removing subsidy. What attracts the continued rot is the subsidy - you can claim to import but never did and get paid for product never purchased in the first place. Have you also observed that the AGO market has not attracted the scandal as with the PMS and Kerosene?

Another issue is the Labour unions.

My advice for the incoming government is to SELL all public refineries, restructure the NNPC and completely remove subsidy as with the recommendations of the Senate Committee and PwC reports. We have the raw products, we have the capability to refine the raw products. We must develop the will to do the job!
name trouble you dey find!
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by blackandbold: 9:40am On Apr 30, 2015
when it was about 4wks to the presidential election. ..a woman who joe "installed" as the coordinating minister claimed categorically that fuel scarcity wud be a thing of the past..but unfortunately....as usual., the "installed" woman has,rather than coprdinate the economy forward as only succeeded in corrupt ing the economy, even to a standstill.
fuel scarcity is still a palpable thing.
maybe joe should consider relieving the woman of her duties sef...since be like say na sacking section we dey now..just dey sack and suspend
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by VolvoS60(m): 9:41am On Apr 30, 2015
Billyonaire:

You should have saved yourself this lengthy grammar by just looking up the word 'importers' in the dictionary. Only importers are paid, what ever is produced locally is not paid. And even at 100% capacity, our 4 refineries can not produce enough for our generators not to talk about cars.

^^^^
Sir, perhaps you would deign to explain the meaning of the word 'importer' to me? undecided

Let us go with what you have said. According to you, only importers are paid fuel subsidy and even at 100% capacity, our 4 refineries cannot cope with local demand. Then the question is: why have new refineries not been built? Answer that if you can.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by VolvoS60(m): 9:45am On Apr 30, 2015
Burger01:

Ohhkay. But, should there be subsidy on locally produced and refined petroleum products

^^^
We cannot answer that question until we know if a subsidy actually exists. That's why we need the government to come clean.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by jpphilips(m): 9:59am On Apr 30, 2015
tk4rd:
If not for the mention of "Subsidy" in the whole long story, I was about asking why government should be paying marketers who were already making gains in their normal buying and selling..
I see no reason for such payments oo..

You are indirectly saying, You know nothing about the workings in the downstream sector, shouldn't you be in school or something rather than coming here to increase your nuisance value, no offence!!

Do you know it is unethical to comment on an issue you know nothing about?
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by ransomed: 10:03am On Apr 30, 2015
zingywingy:
Kk....please pay up ur debts before May 29, since u never inherited any when u assumed power.

::-- Please, tell him to also order payment of salary arrears of Federal civil servants. All ministry are indebted to workers especially those situated in Mabushi, Abuja where my wife works.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by Nobody: 10:10am On Apr 30, 2015
VolvoS60:

^^^^
Sir, perhaps you would deign to explain the meaning of the word 'importer' to me? undecided

Let us go with what you have said. According to you, only importers are paid fuel subsidy and even at 100% capacity, our 4 refineries cannot cope with local demand. Then the question is: why have new refineries not been built? Answer that if you can.

Built by who ? Who should build the refinery ? Government is unable, world over to manage businesses. Nationalism is a wrong economic model; Capitalism with government holding minor equity in the consortium for regulatory mandate has been the successful model globally. Then, if Capitalism is the way forward, who is a Capitalist ? Majorly private investors or foreign direct investors in JV partnership with local enterpreneurs. Good, that takes us to profiteering. The sole aim of doing business, for a capitalist is profit, and so, if the Government of Nigeria is paying subsidy, only a mad man will put his money where there is government subsidy cos at the end of the day, its like building a restaurant close to the welfare foodstamp place. Who wants to come and buy your food, when there is free good food served on the same location.

Listen, I didnt make money being ignorant, I didnt make money being emotional. I study every model and module and research before I make statements on this issue. Unless and until the Government stops subsidy, not even Dangote will start building refineries. Why should I build refinery in Nigeria under government subsidy when other countries are begging me to build it there and sell at higher price regime ?

This is not about politics, this is business.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by MizMyColi(f): 10:16am On Apr 30, 2015
Your reply has caused me to read up.
Thanks, I'm enlightened.

VolvoS60:

^^^

School you? grin I'm no expert.

I agree broadly with the provisions of the PIB. Its been a while since I looked at its provisions in detail (particularly since there were so many versions of it flying about) but I support the provisions on local content, HSE and regulation of IOCs. However, there are some sections I disagree with.

I disagree with the vesting of ownership of petroleum resources in the federal government. Ownership should reside in individual landowners/communities and taxes/royalties should be paid to municipal, state and federal governments. I recognize that this will require changes to Nigerian law - the Land Use Act for one will have to be amended for my suggestion to have any effect. Whether this will happen now or in the next 1000 years is anybody's guess.

I am also concerned about the powers granted (section 191) to the President to grant PPLs and PMLs in so-called 'special circumstances'. undecided These discretionary powers are one of the root causes of the problems in the sector today. Where is the oversight? What constitutes 'special circumstances'? The President also has broad sweeping powers to hire and fire board and agency members at will. Have we not learnt anything?

I strongly disagree with the exemption of the NPAMCL from the Fiscal Responsibility Act and the Public Procurement Act. How does this serve the public interest? undecided

As to whether the PIB will solve subsidy issues and fuel queues - I have to admit I am a bit unsure. The Bill speaks extensively about gas pricing but doesn't go into similar detail on refined petroleum products - it simply says that downstream petroleum pricing will be deregulated. Curiously, it also states that the regulatory agency will set cost benchmarks for downstream operations. What this means in actual implementation remains unclear.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by jpphilips(m): 10:18am On Apr 30, 2015
rychard:

Fuel subsidy has been removed on AGO, how healthy is that competition?

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by jpphilips(m): 10:22am On Apr 30, 2015
Bevista:
Nigeria's daily consumption of PMS is about 35-40 million litres. At optimal performance, all our Refineries put together can only process 12million litres/day. So you see, even at optimal performance, we will still need to import about 25million of PMS litres/day.

I am not a fan of subsidy, but I'm curious to see how the incoming government will approach the issue.

Those figures don't add up. I agree that refinery is not the panacea but not in the perspective you put it.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: FG Pays N156bn Fuel Subsidy Claims To Marketers by jpphilips(m): 10:24am On Apr 30, 2015
VolvoS60:

^^^^
Be careful when you say 'subsidy must go'... or those who support the wholesale plunder going on will take those words and run with them. The question you should be asking is for the government to prove there is a subsidy on locally produced and refined petroleum products. Everything else turns on this question. If there is no subsidy on locally produced fuel there is absolutely no reason for routine, continuous importation of costly, dollar denominated refined petroleum products from other oil exporting countries. It makes absolutely no sense to do this.

Avoid repeating slogans or soundbites such as 'subsidy must go' without exploring and understanding the real issues behind them...or you unwittingly become an accomplice to those who have an agenda...

Why does the government need to prove that to you when the Govts position is in line with common sense!! now tell us, why do you think that Locally refined products should not attract a subsidy?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Didn’t Blow Up Pipeline – Tompolo / Buhari Under Pressure To Sack Ministers, Aides - Nigerian Pilot / Yakubu Gowon Visits President Buhari In Aso Rock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.