Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,417 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? (9943 Views)

Poll: In your opinion:

Lyrics are more important: 57% (24 votes)
Rhythm/melody are more important: 42% (18 votes)
This poll has ended

Benin Radio: Itv Vs. Rhythm / Why Did Nanya Diali Return To Rhythm 93.7 After Being Sacked 9mnths Ago / 96.9 Cool FM Or Rhythm 93.7 FM: Which Is The Best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by A40(m): 1:17am On Feb 15, 2009
As for Canibus he is not well acknowledged and respected by his peers i have not seen any foremost rapper give him props or anything which is very telling and shows he didn't do well enough as an MC

Pound for Pound though Canibus is not on Rakim Allah's level and should not even be compared to Rakim abeg
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by tangent(f): 3:09pm On Feb 15, 2009
A-40:

Pound for Pound though Canibus is not on Rakim Allah's level and should not even be compared to Rakim abeg
you have not been listening to canibus i suppose. there is power in his tongue and lyrical dexterity is peerless. his only failure is the inability to weld his lyrics with good beats for a wider appeal. stylus magazine describes him as a rapper with the whole english language in his mind. lyrically, he is easily the best but as a total package, jay-z, nas, biggie, tupac are all ahead of him.
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by MrCrackles(m): 3:14pm On Feb 15, 2009
tangent:

you have not been listening to canibus i suppose. there is power in his tongue and lyrical dexterity is peerless. his only failure is the inability to weld his lyrics with good beats for a wider appeal. stylus magazine describes him as a rapper with the whole english language in his mind.

Priceless!

Canibus's deficiency are pretty much summed up as above

I also think he has been a bit inconsistent but overall he his MAJOR

tangent:

lyrically, he is easily the best but as a total package, jay-z, nas, biggie, tupac are all ahead of him.

As well as Rakim allah cheesy

tangent:

lyrically, he is easily the best but as a total package, jay-z, nas, biggie, tupac are all ahead of him.

Nah not really, i will say lyrically, NAS is a ruthless assasin!

But with wordplay, deep barz and witty punchlines, Canibus is excellente
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by tangent(f): 3:25pm On Feb 15, 2009
MrCrackles:

Nah not really, i will say lyrically, NAS is a ruthless assasin!

But with wordplay, deep barz and witty punchlines, Canibus is excellente

so who is the king of punchline between nas, canibus and jayz?
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by MrCrackles(m): 3:31pm On Feb 15, 2009
tangent:

so who is the king of punchline between nas, canibus and jayz?

Me thinks Nas and Canibus are almost on parity, but CANIBUS just about edged it on this level! cheesy
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by tangent(f): 3:34pm On Feb 15, 2009
MrCrackles:

Me thinks Nas and Canibus are almost on parity, but CANIBUS just about edged it on this level! cheesy

i agree. so which is more important to you? rhythm or lyrics?
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by MrCrackles(m): 3:37pm On Feb 15, 2009
tangent:

i agree. so which is more important to you? rhythm or lyrics?

Lyrics!

U?
cheesy
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by tangent(f): 3:40pm On Feb 15, 2009
MrCrackles:

Lyrics!

U?
cheesy

lyrics, of course. smiley
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by MrCrackles(m): 3:44pm On Feb 15, 2009
tangent:

Super Dupa Fly!! grin
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:55pm On Feb 15, 2009
Lyrics definitely, but the truth is neither can really stand with out the other.

A proper fussion of Lyrics and Rhythm is the secret of a classic.
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by tangent(f): 4:28pm On Feb 15, 2009
Okija_juju:

Lyrics definitely, but the truth is neither can really stand with out the other.

you should listen to jay-z's black album in acapella. no beats just lyrics and it made sense.
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by Sauron1: 4:54pm On Feb 15, 2009
tangent:

Hmmmm. . . . . . .Good choice there.
When did you start listening to Bis??
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by tangent(f): 5:00pm On Feb 15, 2009
~Sauron~:

Hmmmm. . . . . . .Good choice there.
When did you start listening to Bis??

canibus? i knew him ages ago. canibus and ll cool j having a go at each other. i like him but he is not the total package so you should stop arguing about the self-acclaimed professor emeritus. cheesy
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by Sauron1: 5:06pm On Feb 15, 2009
tangent:

canibus? i knew him ages ago. canibus and ll cool j having a go at each other. i like him but he is not the total package so you should stop arguing about the self-acclaimed professor emeritus. cheesy

The issue is dead and buried now.
Canibus is the indisputable king of punchlines of the rap game. I don't care if he comes completely packed or not.
Professor Emeritus?? grin grin grin He said something about that on "Doomsday News"

The rap terrorist, Professor Emeritus/
[b]F[/b]uck forbidden fruit i was eating pussies in Genesis/

I am off to watch Man Utd game. tongue
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by A40(m): 1:07am On Feb 16, 2009
tangent:

you have not been listening to canibus i suppose. there is power in his tongue and lyrical dexterity is peerless. his only failure is the inability to weld his lyrics with good beats for a wider appeal. stylus magazine describes him as a rapper with the whole english language in his mind. lyrically, he is easily the best but as a total package, jay-z, nas, biggie, tupac are all ahead of him.
Don't think you are qualified enough to make that conclusion Mon Soeur i have listened to a few tracks of his and his delivery is not so.The jury is still out on his lyrics i am not moved by scientific terms or big grammar cheesy cheesy

As for witty punchlines and wordplay mehn its Advantage Jigga he paints like a Picasso in that aspect
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by Bamsyle(m): 7:37pm On Feb 17, 2009
@Sauron

Was away for a while so I hope you enjoyed your short "moment of glory" tongue

U are hidebound by your myopia.     
How many times do i have to tell a herb like you that penning rhymes for me was just a leisure thang in ma Uni days.
It ain't ma profession so why bust a gut to put lyrics on vinyl??  Hundreds of rap verses?? Show us one and stop bragging!!!

Lame excuse. You don't have to be a professional artiste to roll your lines on disc. Do it for the love, not the money. Flowshow bust yo' ass with the stuff he uploaded in the Battle Thread and challenged you to reply - you went dumb like a statue. Even if he didn't sound too well, at least we know what he sounds like grin grin

I see the so-called rap lines you pen and I laugh at yo' construction - that's prose, not rap . . .

Then u must be talking about blinkered fans like yourself.
The fact that Rakim was a rap pioneer doesn't necessarily make him the greatest MC of all time. They all came out when the industry was just starting to grow. What was the level of competition in 1992 compared to now??
Cheese n Rice. . . .some fans also think Public Enemy n NWA were the best since sliced bread but how would they fare if they had joined the rap industry in say, 1996?? Food for thunk, negro!!!

Are you a goblin

Rakim ain't respected for being a rap pioneer alone. He's respected cos he's good. If it's all about being a pioneer, have you ever asked yourself whatever happened to MCs like Biz Markie, MC Shan, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five (Melle Mel, Cowboy, Mr. Ness, Kid Creole and Raheim)? Whatever happened to Jam Master Jay, Flava Flav? Whatever happened to Public Enemy’s Chuck D that you mentioned

You claim there was no competition at a time when KRS-One was traversing the earth like a colossus

It was a debut album. . . . .Most of the lyrics were pre-written. All they had to do was take it to the studio and add the beats n mixes.
What is so outta-this-world in that?? 2Pac recorded "7 Day Theory" in about 7 days so whats the dealie??
Are u a hip-hop illiterate??

Go read up stuff on the album before you come here to fart . . .

Rakim wrote the darn lyrics to the album in the studio . . . the full album was recorded in one week. What's outta the world is that that album is still regarded by hip hop heads as one of the best rap albums to go down in history . . . The excerpts about Rolling Stone and MTV in my previous post were meant to confirm that . . .

Going by the theory that your debut album should be great, why didn't Canibus' debut album fare well? Dude was just blaming Wyclef for his own failure grin

In those days, the competition was weak. Any idiot could grab the mic and spit whatever and still get street credibility.
Rap music was begging for a face then so any piece of music from anyone was great as far as black people were concerned.

Rap Music was begging for no face . . . a lot of the joints we hear on radio today are remixes of sturvs released in that era . . . ask master 'remixers' like P. Diddy. Go listen to songs like Grandmaster Flash's "The Message" . . . An era is an era . . . some peops still prefer the era of the Sugar Hill Gang et al to this generation of rappers . . .

All the cats you have mentioned here are just average rappers. It's like saying Junior-n-Pretty were better lyricists than Mode9 because they influenced Eedris Abdulkareem and Rasquie. It doesn't make any sense to me. What you should ask yourself is how would they have fared in the mid-90s when Rap music blew up like nitro?? How many of these so called rap pioneers can stand toe to toe with Lauryn Hill in a battle??

"Existing before someone" is different from "influencing someone". I said Rakim influenced these cats . . . not existed before 'em. Did Eedris tell you he was influenced by Junior 'n' Pretty? Let me help you, I read his interview some years back where he listed KRS-One, Dr Dre, Biggie et al as his influences when asked. He mentioned no Nigerian act . . .

You refer to cats like Run-D.M.C., LL Cool J, Chuck D, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G. Rap, Ice Cube, and KRS-One as average

The past records of some MCs in that list eclipse Canibus' future . . . Canibus can only strive to untie their shoe-laces grin grin grin

Let me refresh yo' memory . . .

Kool G. Rap's story-telling abilities is supreme. He is a legendary mafioso rapper. His trademark style is his swift multisyllabic delivery. Acts like Biggie, Cam'ron, Faboulous, Big Pun, Cassidy, Busta Rhymes, Pharoahe Monch, Papoose, Black Thought, and R.A. Tha Rugged Man, borrowed his style.   

New York's Hip Hop history is incomplete without the mention of Big Daddy Kane. You need to listen to "Ain't No Half Steppin" and "It's a Big Daddy Thing" - then you'll really experience what you've been calling 'eargasms' grin grin grin If you want to know more about him, ask Jay-Z - he was his hypeman . . .

I won't even talk about LL Cool J, let alone Ice Cube and KRS-One . . .

Those were average works. . . . .They get mentioned because they were the music that gave rap music a FACE!!!

They get mentioned cos they are great tracks. Why are so many other works that gave rap music "a face" not gettin' mentioned Rakim's smooth baritone flow, his unrelentless energy, his confidence . . . Listen to him on "Follow the Leader,"

"I can take a phrase that's rarely heard / Flip it / Now it's a daily word."

Eminem wouldn't be biting him if he wasn't dope tongue

Keep clutching at straws. . . . . .Rakim n Eric B were just buncha noisemakers in em days who gave the West Coast a life line because of the political rubbish they keep spewing. While they were clueless with their rap songs, Dr. Dre stole the initiative from them(East Coast) and the West grew rapidly.
Thanx to Biggie for restoring the pride back while the likes of Rakim faded into oblivion.

Your theory is ill-conceived . . .

Dr Dre had sumn to say to peops who reason like you:

"Things just ain't the same for gangstas
Times is changing, young niggas is aging
Becoming Ol' Gees in the game and changing
To make way for these new names and faces
. . .
"

"But now we got a new era of gangstas
Hustlers and youngsters living amongst us
Lookin at us, now calling us busters
Can't help but reminisce back when it was us
Nigga we started this gangsta shit
And this the motherfucking thanks I get
?" - "The Watcher"

How quick you forget . . . in the next 20 years, nuts like you would call Biggie crap cos of some young gun that just emerged from round da corner . . .

Rakim is an ol' gee in the game. He enjoyed his reign and made way for youngies like Canibus to take a shot at success. Unfortunately, he has been busy amassing failures for himself grin grin grin

Plus I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "oblivion". You mean the same "oblivion" that had him feature on Truth Hurts' "So Addictive"? Same "oblivion" that had him feature on "Classics" with Kanye West, Nas, and KRS-One? Same "oblivion" that had him drop ill bars on Eminem’s "8 Mile" Soundtrack? Same "oblivion" that also had him feature on "The Watcher 2" with Dr Dre and Jay-Z

How many years ago were all those songs released

U are really pushing your ignorance to the hilt. . .   

The king of punchline is Canibus. Not even your Pac or Rakim can match Canibus when it comes to retching ill punchlines.
On the same track, Bis' spat. . . . . . .

I hear you talkin' but i ignore it/you garbage and your rhymes borin'/
So keep standin' on the corner/the trash-man will collect you in the mornin/'

The sickest punchline ever recorded was also from Bis'. . . .

One of a kind, I got divine chromosomes in me
My sperm'll scramble the eggs in a woman's ovary

And what's spectacular about those lines

Ever seen any of Big L's punchlines? What are those lines compared to such lines as:

"My sh*t is so hot, I give the mic a heat rash"

"I'm so ahead of my time, my parents haven't even met yet"

". . . ask Beavis, I get nothing Butt-head"

Straight-up lines. No thrills or frills. You don't need the Dictionary or Google to decipher those words grin

Classic prattle. Comparing Canibus to Will Smith & The Game just says it all about you.
You are clueless than i originally gave u credits for. Mind u, i didn't give u much in the first place.

I'll compare Canibus to Lil' Boosie or Soulja Boy . . . they share a lot in common . . . Crappy delivery is foremost. Looking up the Dictionary and using big words in his lyrics won't cover up his deficiencies tongue

Nas' "whiskers like a rat" and "fat lips"?? Those are personal disses synonymous to 15 year olds on  MTV's "Yo Momma". 
You have no idea what a battle track should be?? Go and listen to Bis' "Die Slow", "100 bars" and sniff spicy battle lyrics.
How can Ether eat Canibus' 2nd round K.O.?? Ibime should help you out now. You are deteriorating at a break-neck speed.

And what should a battle track be? How are those lines compared to Canibus "You don't want me to shine", "you might got more cash than me" Dude simply sounded like a kid whose bread had just been snatched from him grin He was whining and complaining all through . . . cos LL pulled a trick on him . . . Jeez, that dude is always grumbling, when will he wake up and smell the coffee

Nine words of advice - Associating with failures won't get you far in life . . .

I don't need to listen to any more of Canibus' crappy sturvs . . . doesn't get any better. My ears have suffered enough pain grin grin

2Pac is a noise-maker. He is not a battle rapper.
Even a kid of 5 knows that and Bamsyle at 40 doesn't know?? Pathetic!!!

Of course Pac ain't into 'em punchlines - I know that's your definition of a battle rapper. But he was a soldier . . . he never hesitated to serve the asses of those who crossed his path . . .

Age You don't wanna go there . . . Ofokasibe and Dejiariyo would come up with mo' startling revelations on you grin grin grin

Another heap of trumpery. . . . .2Pac is your idol and you don't even know a germ of information about him.
2Pac died poor. Go to the net and check what he had when he died. . . . .He had nuthing. The truck was even registered under Death Row.
Talking about 2Pac had nothing at birth. . . . .How many of these rappers were born with a golden spoon in their mouthz??
How does this help build a strong case for Pac or how is this relevant to the debate?? Clueless Bamsyle.

And how does this help the debate Just cos Pac stayed real to da game and refused to turn into a "water trader", how does that make him poor? Quit talking 'bout stuff you know nada about. Pac was the original mind behind "Mo' Money Mo' Problems". Get yo' facts right.

Bankruptcy?? How low can you sink now??
A man that made $400 million to be paid in instalments of $100 million per year will go bankrupt??
Give up Bamsyle. . . . .You are starting to sound like a scratched Rakim CD.

You must be an ogre . . .

A man makes $400 million and you think he's made for life . . .

You know nada about business . . . go speak to the top biz men the world has ever produced . . . how many albums has 50 Cent been selling after the "Get Rich or Die Trying" and "The Massacre" albums . . .

Vitamin Water? A lot of Americans consider it as "crap and a waste of money" . . . ever gulped one?

"Marketed as health water but is just water with vitamins, flavoring and sugar added", "Completely unneccessary", "There is no reason to buy a food or drink that adds stuff to it for no valid reason", "This is just a ploy by the manufacturer to take advantage of the growing health conscious consumer who does not actually know much about the industry" “The way that vitamin water is marketed and positioned, it's made to look more healthy than other sugary beverages, but it's not - it's still just a soft drink . . . it has this aura of healthfulness that is not deserved. Adding vitamins and minerals to junk food doesn’t make it healthy . . ."

"Adding coutures to yogurt or vitamins to water does absolutely nothing for you or the base product except put extra cash in the greedy corporations that make these products just to take advantage of us"

Comments from top American health experts . . .

Think bro, think . . . do the math . . .

Another weak defense. . . . . .Commercial-wise, 50 cent is a global brand.
His wealth would sink Nas(who had to put his tails between his legs and went back to Jigga). He lost his street credz since then.

Nas lost his street cred You've gotta be snoring . . .

Total BullSh*t . . . A man takes his earnings from his two plus sumn albums and invests in some funny beverage . . . and you call that wealth, and . . . erm . . . "global brand" Donald Trump woulda smack you in the face for that statement . . . And hey, don't just swallow stories and run with 'em . . . relax and run a background check on any piece of news you hear . . .

U lack comprehensive skills. . . . .
What the reviewer meant was. . . .If u are the type that listens to lyrics synonymous to a kid in the 4th grade, then look away from Canibus.
He only used Nelly n Faboulous as examples of rappers like Jay-Z, Nas and other grammatically challenged herbs in the industry.

I told you earlier that your love for big but unnecessary words is what makes you fancy Canibus. Jeez, if you're a babe, guys who look up dictionaries for big words to 'scope' you with would be having a field day on you grin grin grin

And Bamsyle completes his show of ignorance. . . . . . .

Obviously, u haven't been paying attention and yet you claim you know everything about Canibus. . . .You are a pseud.
Canibus wrote those lyrics before the beats. He was about joining the Army when he finished penning the lyrics of the album.
He send the lyrics to Stoupe(The Enemy Of Mankind) to complete in what even Bis' die-hard critics claim was an instant classic.
"Rip The Jacker" was widely accepted and many hip hop heads compared it to Illmatic. 11 brilliant tracks with no skits and no guest appearances!!
Pure artistry from the blueprints of Shakespeare and Da Vinci.

Who doesn't sample beats for songs on Hip-Hop albums?? Are you this blinkered??
Bis was in the army when Stoupe was mixing the sound so he couldn't have been responsible for that part of the production.
U have really shown your ignorance in leaps and bounds and this debate has lost it's taste.
Letz go back to lyrics versus rhythm debate before you humiliate yourself more.

Same ol' same. The Sauron I know so well would kick up any theory just to win a debate . . . You sound so much like Canibus - always making lame excuses for monumental failures - you must share his DNA . . .

Who cares whether he listened to the album 10 years after dropping 'em verses Funny enough, I like "Poet Laureate II" but your myopia just won't let you understand what I'm on . . . I'm tired of stressing my points . . . retards don't ever understand anything - even if you repeat it 100 times . . .

"Rip The Jacker" compared to "Illmatic"? Why not compare Simon Adebisi in "Oz" with Kiefer Sutherland’s "24"?
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by Sauron1: 8:00pm On Feb 17, 2009
@ Bamsyle,

Same garbage, different day. . . .
I won't waste words on this issue anymore. . . .

If 50 cent's water business was wack. . . .Coca Cola won't cough $4 billion to buy it.
So $400 million is not enough to make a man for life?? I would like to see your payslip.

Rip The Jacker is a classic. Nothing you say here will change that fact.
90% of Amazon reviewers(your favourite haven) gave it a 5-star. The feedbacks were also positive.
What it sells does not matter. . . . . .

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, before i go. . . . .Canibus is the punchline king and he is better than 2Pac lyrically. grin cheesy
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by Bamsyle(m): 8:08pm On Feb 17, 2009
Go back home and nurse yo' wounds . . .

You got nutin to say dawg . . .

If Rakim, Pac, Biggie, Nas, KRS-One, etc. beget offsprings and name 'em Lil' Rakim, Lil' Pac, Lil' Biggie, Lil' Nas, Lil' KRS-One - they'll still be thousands of times better than "Cannabis" or whatever you call his name grin grin grin
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by Sauron1: 8:16pm On Feb 17, 2009
Bamsyle:

Go back home and nurse yo' wounds . . .

You got nutin to say dawg . . .

If Rakim, Pac, Biggie, Nas, KRS-One, etc. beget offsprings and name 'em Lil' Rakim, Lil' Pac, Lil' Biggie, Lil' Nas, Lil' KRS-One - they'll still be thousands of times better than "Cannabis" or whatever you call his name grin grin grin

Wounds?? Ur come back was so tasteless you need to add salt n spice to it. . . . .U actually went dark for 3 days to come up with that??
Bamsyle. . . . . .  .Your views are warped.

50 cent made $400 million from a single deal from his multi-conglomerate and you still expect him to fail??
This excludes album sales, royalty paid to him from G-unit albums, G-unit gear, Movies, PS games(Bulletproof and the forthcoming Blood on the sand)
Your definition of success makes me quiver if you really think Fiddy is clueless.

Rakim faded into oblivion cos when the East Coast/West Coast beef escalated, he was nowhere to be found.
Bad Boy records did it for NY while the likes of Rakim etc were nowhere to be found.
Were they not the people 2Pac were dissing for trying to monopolise the Rap industry?? Go and listen to "In His Own Words"
Thatz anutha assignment for you, amigo!!!
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by A40(m): 2:28am On Feb 18, 2009
Now that was an eyeful!! Seriously the long and short of it is out of the names that have been mentioned the Ice Cube's,Rakim's Krs-one's,Chuck D's,Big Daddy Kane and Kool G Rap we all know Canibus is the least relevant in the game and has never really been relevant at any point in time so hopefully this would end the argument
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by javalove(m): 8:00pm On Feb 18, 2009
@eldee

[b]I know this might be the most controversial thing I've ever spewed on this forum, but, fact is, there is only one reason why lyrical content is important to the critical reception of hiphop.
It's because half the artists and listeners are uneducated anyways. Kinda like the proverbial city of blind men.
This is the reason why people are praised for spewing what another person already learnt from reading books and watching CNN.
Why do y'all think Common's called Black Man's CNN?? Because the black man will refuse to go to school in order to understand CNN, but then he'll come back and listen to KRS-One and claim he's deep.

Nas comes out to scream Hiphop Is Dead and errone goes, 'damn, this is soo deep' . . . fcukin hell, in the educated circles, it's called the incorporation of subcultures by the ruling class and they've sure predicted it since God knows when.

For you lot, when you're inclined towards intellect, you listen to rap, for other people, they read wide, watch educative stuff, and sumtimes GO TO SCHOOL and then listen to hiphop as a form of entertainment.

Yeah, Obama's best musician is Jay-Z, but nope, he didn't get his silky communication abilities and encyclopedic brains from Hov, he got it from freaking Havard Law School.
So when next you think you're on sum 'high intellectual level' cus you're listening to Thugz Mansion, ask yourself if you've gotten any smarter than all those CEOs of multimillion dollar companies that will rather listen to Jazz.[/b]

WORST POST OF THE MILLENNIUM FROM ELDEE grin grin grin grin grin grin

IT AINT CONTROVERSIAL AT ALL!!!!

ITS JUST DUMB!!!!

UN KIDDING ME?

REAL RAPPERS READ WIDE!!!!

A RAPPER NEEDS INTELLIGENCE TO ENHANCE HIS LYRICAL ABILITY!!!!

LYRICS IS IT AND A RAPPER GOING INTO A BOOK TO BRING OUT HIS LYRICS AINT A BAD IDEA, EVEN IF EVERYONE ON EARTH HAS READ THE BOOK!!
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by eldee(m): 8:16pm On Feb 18, 2009
javalove:

@eldee

WORST POST OF THE MILLENNIUM FROM ELDEE grin grin grin grin grin grin

IT AINT CONTROVERSIAL AT ALL!!!!

ITS JUST DUMB!!!!

UN KIDDING ME?

REAL RAPPERS READ WIDE!!!!

A RAPPER NEEDS INTELLIGENCE TO ENHANCE HIS LYRICAL ABILITY!!!!

LYRICS IS IT AND A RAPPER GOING INTO A BOOK TO BRING OUT HIS LYRICS AINT A BAD IDEA, EVEN IF EVERYONE ON EARTH HAS READ THE BOOK!!

My dayzz, so with all your 'Mode-10' 'intelligent lyrics' ejaculations, you just missed the whole point of what I posted??

MY CASE RESTS!!!
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by javalove(m): 8:17pm On Feb 18, 2009
@Sauron

I dont know why we argue sometimes . . .

u making lots pf sense wiv ur posts. u see to belive in what i believe in pertaining lyrics and rhythm but when it comes to artistes that fits that believe, u fall my hand. grin grin

good posts bruv

@eldee

no i didnt. i got u crystal clear. maan dat post dumb no be small
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by eldee(m): 8:33pm On Feb 18, 2009
@Javalove
Dude, why'm I even arguing with you, you barely know any other rapper apart from Mode-6 grin

I've argued this out many times with more rap-conscious people and they've not been able to dispute that thesis grin
At least, the rest saw where I was coming from before they tried to oppose, the only thing you're doing here is reading though your mode-tinted spectacles tongue tongue

As I saidbefore, my case rests!!!

@Sauron
I don't blame you for this Canibus thingy, I blame LL Cool J
If only he didn't give 'Bis a chance to diss him, dude woulda been one of 'em people we only see on Nobodysmiling.com
Wait, 'Bis doesn't even have enough cred to be on that blog . . . damn!!!
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by Ibime(m): 8:43pm On Feb 18, 2009
Eldee, I don't agree with your statement.

We all seek mental stimulation in lyrics, no matter how highly educated.

Javalove is a codemaster, yet he seeks stimulation in music.

Even the educated classes prefer to listen to stimulating songsters like Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, The Beatles etc. Sam Cooke never hit his peak until he recorded 'Change gon' come'. Likewise Marvin Gaye with 'Mercy Me'. Ditto Otis Redding.

When we want to gyrate, that is a different story. Thats where artists like D'Banj, Koffi Olomide, Timbaland etc come into play.

However, it isn't a rappers job to get us dancing, thats the job of the producer.

The rapper is there to spit with cadence and rhythm first, otherwise we wont listen. Then, when he grabs our attention, he can only keep it with stimulating lyrics.

Twista is one of the illest rappers rhythmically. He can catch my attention, but he can't keep it for long cos his lyrics are empty. Same goes for Flo-ridah. Similarly, I am not too fond of rappers who have good lyrics but a stuttering flow - eg: Immortal technique, GZA etc

BTW, I wouldn't read too much into Barrack saying Jay Z is his favourite rapper. He probably doesn't even listen to HipHop. These politicians love to lie. If Jigga was not helping him with his campaign, he'd probably say Puffy is his favourite rapper. And BTW, Jay HAS good lyrics to go with his flow.
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by javalove(m): 9:17pm On Feb 18, 2009
@eldee

whether ur case rests or not . . d point remains dat u have no point

@Ibime

I love to code in the same way i love anything that has to do with poetry. i m crazy abour poetry!!!
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by Bamsyle(m): 6:28pm On Feb 19, 2009
~Sauron~:

Wounds?? Ur come back was so tasteless you need to add salt n spice to it. . . . .U actually went dark for 3 days to come up with that??
Bamsyle. . . . . . .Your views are warped.

50 cent made $400 million from a single deal from his multi-conglomerate and you still expect him to fail??
This excludes album sales, royalty paid to him from G-unit albums, G-unit gear, Movies, PS games(Bulletproof and the forthcoming Blood on the sand)
Your definition of success makes me quiver if you really think Fiddy is clueless.

Rakim faded into oblivion cos when the East Coast/West Coast beef escalated, he was nowhere to be found.
Bad Boy records did it for NY while the likes of Rakim etc were nowhere to be found.
Were they not the people 2Pac were dissing for trying to monopolise the Rap industry?? Go and listen to "In His Own Words"
Thatz anutha assignment for you, amigo!!!

Mr. Sauron, you always tend to digress from the major thrust of a debate when you discover you've got nutin to say . . . that's a lame move . . . you know the popular saying - "Don't be a cloud cos you failed to be a star" . . . no need for any 'spanner in the works' grin

We're not arguing over 50 Cent's Vitamin Water deal here. You brought that in as a frantic move to win the debate.

Relax 'n' start breathing - that a man makes $400m over a deal today does not make him for life. 50 has never been consistent in his career - that's my freakin' point. Throwin' yo' career overboard to delve into some drink that's got no acceptance is not the definition of success to me . . . and that's not to mention the vacillating nature of business (I had to use that word cos you like big words grin) . . . you claimed at a point that Nas lost his street credo after the saga with Jay-Z . . . how ingenious of you! tongue . . . next thing you'll say is that 50 gained more street cred by selling water . . .

So, Rakim et al must hop into the East/West Coast rivalry to be significant What are you even saying here How did Pac diss Rakim et al in that interview Go listen to Pac's "Old School" and hear him praise Rakim to the high heavens . . . plus a lot of nigguhs that you love to hate tongue

It's a wrap Sauron. Go to bed. Hey, before you do - take this with you:

"People with open minds always close their mouths. People with closed minds always open their mouths". Where do you belong grin
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by Sauron1: 6:58pm On Feb 19, 2009
Bamsyle:

Mr. Sauron, you always tend to digress from the major thrust of a debate when you discover you've got nutin to say . . . that's a lame move . . . you know the popular saying - "Don't be a cloud cos you failed to be a star" . . . no need for any 'spanner in the works' grin
We're not arguing over 50 Cent's Vitamin Water deal here. You brought that in as a frantic move to win the debate.

U got carried away and went off tangent to say 50 cent's empire will collapse and i disagreed.
How has that changed the tone of the debate?? I said in the commercial scheme of things, 50 cent should be applauded.
It took him 5 years to eclipse what Jay-Z and P.Diddy laboured to achieve in 15 years.
Forbes 1-2-3(I get money-remix) would give you a clue.

Relax 'n' start breathing - that a man makes $400m over a deal today does not make him for life. 50 has never been consistent in his career - that's my freakin' point. Throwin' yo' career overboard to delve into some drink that's got no acceptance is not the definition of success to me . . . and that's not to mention the vacillating nature of business (I had to use that word cos you like big words grin) . . . you claimed at a point that Nas lost his street credo after the saga with Jay-Z . . . how ingenious of you! tongue . . . next thing you'll say is that 50 gained more street cred by selling water . . .

50 cent is not Tyson. He is making money from various investments.
He is growing at the rate of speed of light with the things he keep dipping his hands into.
Nas lost his credibility. His die-hard fans couldn't stomach the fact that he is now under Jay-Z after the 2001/2002 face off!!!!

So, Rakim et al must hop into the East/West Coast rivalry to be significant What are you even saying here How did Pac diss Rakim et al in that interview Go listen to Pac's "Old School" and hear him praise Rakim to the high heavens . . . plus a lot of nigguhs that you love to hate tongue

"Old school" pre-dated the East Coast/West Coast beef. . . .It seems you ignorance stretches back to the mid-90s.

From 2Pac's mouth: I love the east coast. . .I from the east coast, but they have to understand you just can't be saying shit about us and think we're not gonna take it personally. .  . . .You just can't be calling us fakers and pretenders and non-creative and say we can't freestyle. . . .and we just sit back and say 'Naw it's cool 'cause we love them because they started hip hop'. Hell no, we're gonna take it personal, just like a kid would when his bigger brother who ain't doing his shit steps to him. That's like a little brother making lots of cash and the bigger brother comin' along and sayin' 'You owe it all to me' That's wrong. . . .Don't be mad because the little nigguh is comin' up.

2Pac was referring to all the East Coast cats he hollered at on "Old School" here which includes RAKIM.
He was beefing every rapper from the East Coast as at the time he made this interview. If it was about an individual, he would name and shame him but this was a coast war.

It's a wrap Sauron. Go to bed. Hey, before you do - take this with you:

The issue was dead n buried before you exhumed it again.
Canibus sampling beats on all his tracks just killed the flavour of the whole debate.
He never knew what the album was like until he bought his own CD. Thatz the pure fact!!!

U have been sonned again. wink

"People with open minds always close their mouths. People with closed minds always open their mouths". Where do you belong grin

With the number of words you have typed on this debate, even a blind man knows you belong to the latter group. grin
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by Bamsyle(m): 7:04pm On Feb 19, 2009
@A-40
. . .out of the names that have been mentioned the Ice Cube's,Rakim's Krs-one's,Chuck D's,Big Daddy Kane and Kool G Rap we all know Canibus is the least relevant in the game and has never really been relevant at any point in time

If you're a pastor, I'll join your church. That up there is gospel truth. Preach it!

@javalove
u see to belive in what i believe in pertaining lyrics and rhythm but when it comes to artistes that fits that believe, u fall my hand grin grin

You have just spoken like an oracle. "Blowing grammar" is not equivalent to good lyrics. I am a great lover of Lyrics. Just that when it comes to the nitty gritty of music, Rhythm and Lyrics are twin elements that you cannot afford to miss.

If you've studied Sauron's theories, you would note that he tends to major on minors so much that he loses focus of what an issue is all about in the first place. In his elements, Sauron would say sumn like this:

Sauron: Bill Clinton was a good President
Bleep: Yeah, that's true but why do you say so
Sauron: Cos he's tall and jovial.
grin grin grin

[/quote][quote author=eldee link=topic=228560.msg3485073#msg3485073 date=1234985605]
@Sauron
I don't blame you for this Canibus thingy, I blame LL Cool J
If only he didn't give 'Bis a chance to diss him, dude woulda been one of 'em people we only see on Nobodysmiling.com
Wait, 'Bis doesn't even have enough cred to be on that blog . . . damn!!!

El, shake my hand.

Who's Canibus Someone who sends his fans to google anytime he spits grin grin

Is that the definition of a true lyricist Nah.

Nas is one of the few rappers who has managed to garner mainstream appeal and yet remain true to the underground. There are some other rappers in this category too . . .

Until Canibus learns to do the right thing . . . up his game . . . overhaul his crappy delivery . . . surmise his points aptly . . . and stop beating about the bush . . . he might as well remain on the same darn level he's been for decades.
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by Sauron1: 7:29pm On Feb 19, 2009
Bamsyle loves to lump things together to create a blurry picture.

I have told you repeatedly that Canibus comes short as a total artiste since he has not been able to sync his underground status to cop the mainstream appeal. His production has been rubbish and the promotion is below average. All those things are bare facts visible to blind people.
However, if we FOCUS on his LYRICS alone. . . . . .He is miles better than Nas and Jay-Z.
U can take this argument to any of the 1 billion and one rap forums and people will tell you Canibus is a supreme lyricist. tongue tongue tongue
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by Bamsyle(m): 7:50pm On Feb 19, 2009
~Sauron~:

U got carried away and went off tangent to say 50 cent's empire will collapse and i disagreed.
How has that changed the tone of the debate?? I said in the commercial scheme of things, 50 cent should be applauded.
It took him 5 years to eclipse what Jay-Z and P.Diddy laboured to achieve in 15 years.
Forbes 1-2-3(I get money-remix) would give you a clue.

This dude keeps farting in here . . . "The commercial scheme of things"

Are we in a Business class Topic says Lyrics V. Rhythm and you're referring to "commercial scheme of things" You stated that 50 would buy Nas et al and I showed you how flawed yo' argument is - Ces' fini. Nigguh I'm done with that. If we go deeper into this theory of yours and you take the sucker punch, you'll come around and say "money ain't a thang" - Same ol' Sauron . . .

50 cent is not Tyson. He is making money from various investments.
He is growing at the rate of speed of light with the things he keep dipping his hands into.
Nas lost his credibility. His die-hard fans couldn't stomach the fact that he is now under Jay-Z after the 2001/2002 face off!!!!

Yeah right. Why not wait till the whole drama unfolds dawg Are you Fiddy's account manager?

There you go again - always cookin' up some fairy tale . . . Nas "under" Jay-Z. Nas "lost his credibility". Nas converted even die-hard Jay fans with that battle tongue Always run background checks before you rap off-beat. You know nada about Nas so you're even unfit to make comments about him. If you knew, you'd have known that Nas likes to "play down" beefs. He's not someone to get into unnecessary beefs at every opportunity. Despite the fact that he's got a caustic tongue, he's always suing for peace. Eldee needs to explain this to you.

Check Nas' records - dude chose not to reply a lot of disses directed at him by different artistes - both direct 'n' indirect . . . In Jay's case, he felt he just couldn't stomach his arrogance any more . . . that's why he dissed him. And that's why when the tables turned around, he was quick to accept the olive branch and sheath his sword . . . he never even liked the Jay-Z war in the first instance . . . go listen to "Last Real N***a Alive" and be educated.

"Old school" pre-dated the East Coast/West Coast beef. . . .It seems you ignorance stretches back to the mid-90s.

From 2Pac's mouth: I love the east coast. . .I from the east coast, but they have to understand you just can't be saying shit about us and think we're not gonna take it personally. .  . . .You just can't be calling us fakers and pretenders and non-creative and say we can't freestyle. . . .and we just sit back and say 'Naw it's cool 'cause we love them because they started hip hop'. Hell no, we're gonna take it personal, just like a kid would when his bigger brother who ain't doing his shit steps to him. That's like a little brother making lots of cash and the bigger brother comin' along and sayin' 'You owe it all to me' That's wrong. . . .Don't be mad because the little nigguh is comin' up.

2Pac was referring to all the East Coast cats he hollered at on "Old School" here which includes RAKIM.
He was beefing every rapper from the East Coast as at the time he made this interview. If it was about an individual, he would name and shame him but this was a coast war.

Of course I know "Old School" was before the East/West Coast beef. I just had to show you he had respect for Rakim. And I was waiting for you to show me how that changed with that interview. Now, all you could come up with is "2Pac was referring to all the East Coast cats he hollered at on "Old School" which includes RAKIM" How low can you get?

Not long ago on another thread you said that Pac was into name-calling in all his beef tracks. Yep, I agree. We all know Pac is very opinionated - he goes straight to da point when he's irked. Now, here you are saying it was a coast war and so he didn't mention Rakim It was a coast war and he mentioned Biggie, Puffy et al in that interview It was a coast war and he mentioned Nas, Chino XL, Mobb Deep, Lil' Kim, Fugees, Jay-Z, and a whole lot of East Coast cats in different songs (like "Against All Odds", "Bomb First", "All Out", etc)

If Pac got beef with you, he calls yo' name. That's a guarantee. There's nutin in that "His Own Words" interview to show, expressly or impliedly, that he had Rakim in mind. Find another story dawg.

The issue was dead n buried before you exhumed it again.
Canibus sampling beats on all his tracks just killed the flavour of the whole debate.
He never knew what the album was like until he bought his own CD. Thatz the pure fact!!!

U have been sonned again. wink

And I'm telling you again - that a living artiste did not know anything about his production is not an excuse for lameness. If Music is business and you're an entrepreneur, you'll be both on the field and in the boardroom - keeping an eye on yo' business . . . Ok, I've heard you - he's not to be blamed for Rip the Jacker's production, what about his about 7 other albums

With the number of words you have typed on this debate, even a blind man knows you belong to the latter group. grin

Plenty but sensible words. But you You keep rambling and makin' no iota of sense . . .

Another one - "If you've got it, flaunt it; If you ain't got it, stare at someone who's got it" grin grin tongue
Re: Lyrics Vs Rhythm: Which Is More Important? by Sauron1: 9:12pm On Feb 19, 2009
Bamsyle:

This dude keeps farting in here . . . "The commercial scheme of things"

Yet anutha heap of fuckery with distorted facts and personal opinion you keep forcing people to believe.
How much is Nas worth compared to 50 cent?? grin

Are we in a Business class Topic says Lyrics V. Rhythm and you're referring to "commercial scheme of things" You stated that 50 would buy Nas et al and I showed you how flawed yo' argument is - Ces' fini. Nigguh I'm done with that. If we go deeper into this theory of yours and you take the sucker punch, you'll come around and say "money ain't a thang" - Same ol' Sauron . . .

50 cent WILL BUY NAS. . . . .U can take that to church or anywhere else. Nas as a rapper does not even make records for the money.
He stays loyal to his fan so commercially, he is a failure like most of the underground cats out there.
I still stand by ma theory that Nas is a featherweight to 50 cent in terms of $$$ $$$ $$$.

Yeah right. Why not wait till the whole drama unfolds dawg Are you Fiddy's account manager?

Do u read Forbes, ignoramus?? Do i have to be 50's manager to know how much he rakes in annually??
Coca Cola bought his small share in his Vitamin drink and paid him $400 million and you are here ptyalising hokum. grin grin
If the water was such a bad business why would Coca-Cola of all brands pay $4 billion for it??

There you go again - always cookin' up some fairy tale . . . Nas "under" Jay-Z. Nas "lost his credibility". Nas converted even die-hard Jay fans with that battle tongue Always run background checks before you rap off-beat. You know nada about Nas so you're even unfit to make comments about him. If you knew, you'd have known that Nas likes to "play down" beefs. He's not someone to get into unnecessary beefs at every opportunity. Despite the fact that he's got a caustic tongue, he's always suing for peace. Eldee needs to explain this to you.

Which die-hard Jigga fans did Nas convert?? Jigga finished Nas with Blueprint 2 but of course, people wanted Nas to win the battle.
Jay-Z lost the battle in the eyes of hip-hop listeners after he did it the 2Pac way that he slept with Nas' girlfriend. Jigga's mother was pissed and asked him to apologise. Women were pissed because they felt Jigga was a misogynist who gets high dissing women.
The so called battle was decided by fans who called in to punt their votes so shut up and stop blabbing heresy.

Check Nas' records - dude chose not to reply a lot of disses directed at him by different artistes - both direct 'n' indirect . . . In Jay's case, he felt he just couldn't stomach his arrogance any more . . . that's why he dissed him. And that's why when the tables turned around, he was quick to accept the olive branch and sheath his sword . . . he never even liked the Jay-Z war in the first instance . . . go listen to "Last Real N***a Alive" and be educated.

He did not reply a lot of disses cos he is a coward. His hands were forced to reply Jay-Z and he was even crap with the disses.
A lotta cats just felt for him generally and he took the spoils. If we lay out the lyrics line after line, Blueprint 2 whups it loud and clear.
Last Nigga Alive was a weak attempt. . . .Talking about Biggie wars after Biggie passed away. Last Real Nigga alive was on God's Son album in 2002.

Biggie died in 1997. . . . .So Nas skipped the story in his 2 albums in 99(I Am + Nastradamus), Skipped it in 2001(Stillmatic).
How authentic was his fairy tale?? Who can confirm it?? Dead Biggie!!
Why didn't Nas tell this story on "We Will Survive" when he was creaming his nether region for Biggie and comparing him to Allah??
U need to put a cock in it and stop arguing like a tard, abeg. Your buffoonery is getting me ticked.

Of course I know "Old School" was before the East/West Coast beef. I just had to show you he had respect for Rakim. And I was waiting for you to show me how that changed with that interview. Now, all you could come up with is "2Pac was referring to all the East Coast cats he hollered at on "Old School" which includes RAKIM" How low can you get?

U lack horse sense. . . . . .How many names would he drop in a studio interview with Sway. He said it loud and clear he was beefing with the big brothers in the East coast. The ones who dissed em that West Coast songs were rubbish. Who are the Big brothers? The pioneers!!! So who are the pioneers? The Rakims of this world. Jeeez.

Not long ago on another thread you said that Pac was into name-calling in all his beef tracks. Yep, I agree. We all know Pac is very opinionated - he goes straight to da point when he's irked. Now, here you are saying it was a coast war and so he didn't mention Rakim It was a coast war and he mentioned Biggie, Puffy et al in that interview It was a coast war and he mentioned Nas, Chino XL, Mobb Deep, Lil' Kim, Fugees, Jay-Z, and a whole lot of East Coast cats in different songs (like "Against All Odds", "Bomb First", "All Out", etc)

It was an interview. As at the time that interview was made. . . . .It wasn't supposed to be made into any album.
He was just talking generally about the way things were. It was not a battle song. It was what it was. . . .an interview.
Pac said the only reason he would not diss East Coast rappers was if they seperate themselves from Biggie. That was pure in ma opinion.

If Pac got beef with you, he calls yo' name. That's a guarantee. There's nutin in that "His Own Words" interview to show, expressly or impliedly, that he had Rakim in mind. Find another story dawg.

Whats wrong with your gumpton, hombre?? He had all the Big Boys in mind.
They all cussed the west coast for making shit songs with the whole G-funk thingy. Go and listen more.
He talked about LLcool J in Silver suit dancing with ladies. He said that was shit but he had to support it cos Rap music needed a face in that era.
I cannot continue to lecture you here, dawg!!! Get some rap education. grin grin grin

And I'm telling you again - that a living artiste did not know anything about his production is not an excuse for lameness. If Music is business and you're an entrepreneur, you'll be both on the field and in the boardroom - keeping an eye on yo' business . . . Ok, I've heard you - he's not to be blamed for Rip the Jacker's production, what about his about 7 other albums

I never used that excuse for Canibus. I only corrected your ERROR when you said Canibus sampled everyone's beats to make "Rip The Jacker"
Till date, the album was critically acclaimed as his best work so it didn't matter whether he was present when Jedi made the album or not.
I only cleared the air that Bis didn't even know which beat was on which lyrics, capice??

Plenty but sensible words. But you You keep rambling and makin' no iota of sense . . .
Another one - "If you've got it, flaunt it; If you ain't got it, stare at someone who's got it" grin grin tongue

Sensible ma ass. . . . . . .90% of your tales are erroneous.
U don't pay attention to the main feature. . . .U tend to pick things that are not relevant in a debate.
What has the sampling of Fela's beat gotta do with Canibus' supremacy in rap lyrics??  undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

P -square New Video And Song Really Hot / Olamide - Wavy Level (Video) / VIDEO: Olamide – Ilefo Illuminati [download To Mobile]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 176
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.