Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,424 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? (2064 Views)

Yorubas Are Ready To Break Away From Nigeria- Elder Statesman Adebanjo / Why Obj Suddenly Appeared In Jonathan Last Elder Statesmen Meeting / Northern Elders Fault Jonathan’s Comment About Statesmen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? by robosky02(m): 12:51pm On May 08, 2015
Statesmanship has nothing to do with your age nor does it mean that you have attained a certain age or belong to a certain profession. But who am I to pontificate?

In my humble view, the search for what statesmanship is, really, must start with the statesman template before we even begin to consider whether the idea of eldership in statesmanship is an aberration or not. One needs not attain a certain age or belong to a certain class before it behoves on them to begin to be apolitical.

Being a statesman starts with sound judgement and discernment in consideration of matters that concern the state – and by the ‘state’ we do not mean that you only have to have been a former head of a state or that you participated in running a government at state level, no.

When we say ‘sound judgement and discernment in the consideration of matters of state’, we mean that at a certain high level, you would have subdued your personal interests and put the overall interests far and above that personal and local interest of yours. So in essence a big businessman, a local chief, a young athlete, a college administrator, a pastor or an imam or a politician can be a statesman.
Re: Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? by robosky02(m): 12:52pm On May 08, 2015
In the United state we can easily have the likes of

Bill Clinton,

George Bush

Ronald Regan

Billy Graham

etc as outstanding elder statemen who has cosistently work in and out of office for the growth of america

who are the elder statemen in Nigeria that the young generation can look up to and why please suggest names:

Re: Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? by ki02020(m): 12:57pm On May 08, 2015
Do we anyone in nigeria that can be regarded as a stateman without any atom of corruption
Re: Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? by temitemi1(m): 12:57pm On May 08, 2015
GEJ...

1 Like

Re: Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? by ammyluv2002(f): 1:01pm On May 08, 2015
ki02020:
Do we anyone in nigeria that can be regarded as a stateman without any atom of corruption
None! angry
Re: Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? by robosky02(m): 1:01pm On May 08, 2015
ki02020:

Is the old generation that bad? ....

where are the leaders to look up to
Re: Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? by TS2(m): 1:03pm On May 08, 2015
Olu Jacobs.
Re: Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? by robosky02(m): 1:04pm On May 08, 2015
TS2:
Olu Jacobs.

what influnce and role has he model for the young generation
Re: Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? by robosky02(m): 1:06pm On May 08, 2015
ammyluv2002:
None! angry

really you mean no one on the women side

what of queen Amina....

forget the recent furniture allowancw woman oh
Re: Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? by jascon1(m): 1:16pm On May 08, 2015
honestly none! dont doubt me but we just have ssome figures that seem to represent statemen, but in the real sense there is none.
Re: Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? by robosky02(m): 1:21pm On May 08, 2015
for me it will be

Tafawa Belewa..... for simplecity and nationality

Awolowo......... for his educational pation

Nnamdi Azikiwe........ for unity of nigeria

Enoch Adeboye....... for humility and showing goodly direction

Margaret Ekpo ............ foremost "women right" activist

Goodluck Jonathan.......his sacrifice to transformation agender

you can add your to the list

or agree or disagree
Re: Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? by robosky02(m): 1:22pm On May 08, 2015
jascon1:
honestly none! dont doubt me but we just have ssome figures that seem to represent statemen, but in the real sense there is none.

a shake my head

for the young generation who will they look up to
Re: Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? by juman(m): 1:24pm On May 08, 2015
A country without elder statesmen.
Re: Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? by robosky02(m): 1:33pm On May 08, 2015
juman:
A country without elder statesmen.

patetic and heart aching
Re: Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? by TS2(m): 1:37pm On May 08, 2015
robosky02:

what influnce and role has he model for the young generation

Although I mentioned that as a joke, I will urge you to go and check your history. I should not be here teaching you about Olu Jacobs. He has however had a more positive influence on the country and for the country during his time in acting.

There is hardly any politician who has had the same amount of positive influence.
Re: Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? by juman(m): 1:39pm On May 08, 2015
robosky02:

patetic and heart aching

Sad thing.

Those leaders are oloriburuku yeee bọbọ.

They have no interest of the country at heart.
Re: Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? by Nobody: 1:40pm On May 08, 2015
Orubebe shocked
Re: Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? by robosky02(m): 1:48pm On May 08, 2015
Keneking:
Orubebe shocked

am sure you are not traying to orubebe this trend
Re: Who Are Nigeria’s ‘elder’ Statesmen? by robosky02(m): 3:56pm On May 08, 2015
jascon1:

(1) (Reply)

Lets Put A Spotlight On The Revenue Mobilization Allocation And Fiscal Commissio / Peter Obi Defends Okonjo-iweala, Says She Warned Governors To Save For The Rainy / Photo:jonathan Set Us Up To Lose –alhaji Mujahideen Asari Dokubo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.