Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,600 members, 7,820,148 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. (4324 Views)

Udoma: We Don’t Have Funds To Pay Salaries, Pensions / Buhari Poses With Rochas Okorocha In Aso Rock (photos) / It's A Shame That 27 Out Of 36 States Can't Pay Salaries- Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by PhockPhockMan: 1:00pm On May 09, 2015
By Yemi Adebowale, yemi.adebowale@thisdaylive.com

Imo State Governor, Chief Rochas Okorocha on Tuesday in Abuja made an atrocious request on behalf of failed Nigerian governors who have consistently failed to meet the rudimentary responsibilities of paying civil servants as and when due and providing basic infrastructure in their states. He wants cash bail out for them from the incoming administration of Muhammadu Buhari in order to clear accumulated unpaid salaries. It is not about APC or PDP. These failed governors cut across both PDP and APC. Okorocha painted a picture of a desperate economic situation that has made it impossible for them to pay workers’ salaries. He told Buhari: “As it stands today, most states of the federation have not been able to pay salaries and even the federal government has not paid April salary and that is very worrisome. By May and June, that (salaries) will be three months. We wonder with the huge expectation from Nigerians and people who have voted us into power, we are hoping that the president-elect will do whatever is humanly possible to bring about a bailout not only in the states but the federal government at least for people to get their salaries and turn around the economy.”
The Imo governor tactically included federal civil servants to weep up more sentiment. The truth is that the federal government does not owe its civil servants. There is no backlog of salaries at the federal level. There was a slight delay in the April salaries of federal workers and this had been sorted. Even if the federal government is yet to resolve April salaries, when Okorocha spoke on Tuesday, it was just 5 days into the new month. So, why was the Imo State governor talking about a few days delay at the federal level when he and his failed colleagues have horrendous salary backlog of between two and eight months? I believe Okorocha dragged federal civil servants into the crisis as part of his campaign of calumny against President Goodluck Jonathan. These failed governors often blame Jonathan for every negative thing in their states. Even when their wives misbehave at home, they will point accusing fingers at Jonathan.

Let’s go back to the main issue. I had said it in previous articles that these governors were not voted into power to give excuses. They should simply resign if they can’t do the job and allow people with good ideas and political will to come in. First, these failed governors are accustomed to just going to Abuja monthly to collect handouts. They lack the slightest idea about how to make their states viable. Most of them are even too lazy to sit down with forward-looking Nigerians to fashion out how to make these states viable. Industries and industrial lay outs are dead in these states. Many state governors have not shown ingenuity in terms of making their states viable and improving their Internally-generated revenue. They have great untapped agricultural potentials that could make them viable, yet, they are struggling to survive. Most of these governors can’t point to a single industry whose emergence they have motivated since becoming governors. So, the industries are not there. Commercial agriculture is in comatose. How then do they intend to make their states viable? The late Obafemi Awolowo built the enviable economy of the defunct Western Nigeria around agriculture and agro-allied industries. There were cocoa industries and plantations all over Western Nigeria. There was nothing like running to the centre for bail outs. Then, this country operated true federalism. The scope of operation of each region was determined by its resources and cash. There was fiscal discipline. Corruption was very low while only people-oriented projects were implemented.

But in this era, governors who can’t pay civil servants because of dwindling handouts from Abuja pocket billions of naira annually in the name of an unconstitutional “Security Vote.” Allocations are dwindling; yet, they operate with a retinue of aides - special advisers, senior special advisers, special assistants, senior special assistants, personal assistants, private secretaries and the rest of them. Okorocha operates with 16 commissioners in Imo State. For God’s sake, what is he doing with 16 commissioners and a retinue of aides in a supposedly poor state like Imo? Okorocha and his colleagues have just spent billions of Naira on their re-election, yet, they can’t pay salaries. So, where did all the billions spent on election come from? The answer is obvious. When they complain about dwindling allocation to the states, they often leave out the allocations to the local governments which most of them also pocket.
Irregular payments of salaries by these governors have impoverished civil servants, forcing some of them to resort to begging in order to survive the hardship foisted on them while the governors and their cronies live big. You will find them travelling around the world with a large entourage in the name of looking for foreign investors. Most of these ‘governors from hell’ have mortgaged their states. I can authoritatively tell you that this is mainly responsible for their inability to pay salaries as at when due. They have taken huge loans beyond their repayment capacity and the monthly direct deductions from their shares of the federation account to service the loans are now impacting negatively on their finances. A critical analysis of the contractual obligations/other deductions from the February allocations of the 36 states by the Federal Account and Allocation Committee showed that virtually all the states are deep in debt with very little to show for it. For just February alone, some states had over N1 billion deducted for debt servicing. About N1.1 billion was deducted from Osun State’s allocation; Bayelsa State was about N1.5 billion; Plateau = N653 million; Zamfara = N692 million; Ebonyi State = N790 million; Edo State = N745 million; Imo State = N419 million.
These governors, amidst dwindling revenue still implement populist policies. Yearly, they spend huge amount of money sending pilgrims to Jerusalem and Mecca. Last year, one South-west state spent over N500 million on such pilgrimages. These governors often implement programmes not in tune with the financial realities of their states. Imagine a state like Osun implementing free education when it can’t pay salaries of the teachers in the schools. Imagine what just N1000 per pupil (per term) in public schools will do to Osun State’s revenue and teachers’ salaries? Late Awolowo had the financial implications of his free education programme in the defunct Western Region properly worked out before implementation. These days, these governors just introduce all sorts of free things - free education, free health, free books, free marriage, and the rest of them, without considering the financial implications in the short, medium and long term.
Some of them have even introduced free lunch in public schools without thorough financial plans. Osun State started this, and had to quickly dump it.

Many of these states operate with a bloated work force with huge ghost workers running riot. These put a lot of pressure on the handouts from Abuja. Many of these failed governors can’t even carry out a thorough staff audit. Again, many of the state governors complaining about financial crunch are able to squeeze out money for absolutely useless projects. They delve into all sorts of things that ought to be private sector-driven. For example, what is the business of these governors with building stadia and running football clubs amidst supposed financial crisis? Okorocha’s Imo runs Heathland Football Club. Former Ekit Stae governor, Kayode Fayemi spent millions of Naira building a new Government House when Ekiti civil servants were battling for their salaries.
Just as Finance Minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala stated on Wednesday, if these governors put payment of salaries of their civil servants on their priority list, there won’t be a backlog. Civil servants in Ekiti State are now being paid as and when due because Ayodele Fayose has priotised payment of salaries. These failed governors should learn from Fayose and Ibrahim Dankwambo of Gombe State.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/rochas-okorocha-s-ludicrous-plea-for-aid-to-pay-salaries/208819/

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by Twaci(f): 1:03pm On May 09, 2015
Hmmm, ok smiley

Kindly vote me for Miss. Nairaland 2015. Thanks smiley.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by TheOnlyWiseMan: 1:03pm On May 09, 2015
Rochas Kanayo Okorocha runs a nauseatingly populist Government in IMO State, handing out money like confetti and not caring about the future and fiscal sustainability. That is why he has run out of funds for the payment of the salaries of civil servants, who unfortunately do very little work themselves. Last Christmas , these civil parasites benefitted from the Ba Kwomi (I don't care) largesse of Alhaji Rochas who paid them a performance bonus of a "13th month" salary, and gave them two weeks paid vacation. Why are we then surprised that he cannot pay proper salaries? The IMO State 2015 budget is the most lopsided in the country , in favour of recurrent expenditure (86%) , leaving only a paltry 14% for capital projects. This is the man that the people reelected to punish them for the next four years!!!

4 Likes

Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by Nobody: 1:05pm On May 09, 2015

I'm allergic to reading novels cheesy

keep calm and vote twaci for Miss NL 2015 cool
www.nairaland.com/twaci

1 Like

Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by TheOnlyWiseMan: 1:07pm On May 09, 2015
Twaci:
Hmmm, ok smiley

How I go take vote na.
Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by wwwbabe(f): 1:08pm On May 09, 2015
All of them are owing because they used every available resouces to campaign. Either for demselves or their parties at the expense of workers.
very soon, d wind will blow n asses will b exposed.
Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by AhmedMustapha(m): 1:08pm On May 09, 2015
He should do what's best for his state
Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by GrandMufti: 1:09pm On May 09, 2015
Charity begins at home. The change should start with them angry angry angry
Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by Twaci(f): 1:09pm On May 09, 2015
TheOnlyWiseMan:

How I go take vote na.
I'll let you know when its on dear. Thanks a lot. How's ur day going?
Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by MzJackBaueress(f): 1:11pm On May 09, 2015
Phockphockman now believes Yemi Adebowale a yoruba man to criticize his governor just because he hates him?

If Yemi Adebowale a yoruba man criticized Jonathan,phockphockman wouldn't have created this topic.

Hmmm! I smell hypocrisy!

1 Like

Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by FitnessNigeria: 1:12pm On May 09, 2015
Twaci:

My lost cousin.
Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by DankemzI(m): 1:13pm On May 09, 2015
He Should decline his Salaries na
Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by atlwireles: 1:15pm On May 09, 2015
The situation will only get worse, by December some states will probably be dealing with daily public riots, when it becomes clear to them, Buhari cannot add one kobo to their allocation. grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by Twaci(f): 1:19pm On May 09, 2015
FitnessNigeria:

My lost cousin.
Hey Uncle smiley. How's ur day going?
Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by kannymoore(m): 1:19pm On May 09, 2015
Twaci:
Hmmm, ok smiley

Spacebooking @its finest!
Lol!

Gee!...so you're in the frontline for Miss Nairaland this year?!

Aaaw!

Ehyaaa!

Oya come here lemme hug you a bit! grin

Ok guys..! I know i've never candidly express my support for any particular candidate since this competition started a few years back but hey!!....

Please Vote Twaci for Miss Nairaland 2015!!!

grin!!

Lol!

Still can't believe I've just done what I did sha!!!

Lol!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by TheOnlyWiseMan: 1:23pm On May 09, 2015
Twaci:

COOOOOOOL.
Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by PhockPhockMan: 1:28pm On May 09, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
Phockphockman now believes Yemi Adebowale a yoruba man to criticize his governor just because he hates him?

If Yemi Adebowale a yoruba man criticized Jonathan,phockphockman wouldn't have created this topic.

Hmmm! I smell hypocrisy!

Nwanne biko face topic.

Cc Ngwakwe, seun, lalasticlala.
Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by Twaci(f): 1:29pm On May 09, 2015
TheOnlyWiseMan:
[/b]

COOOOOOOL.
That's good smiley
Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by IGBOSON2: 1:29pm On May 09, 2015
This 'Federal' Republic we're operating is a joke! What exactly is the point of some so called federal states!?
Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by luvmijeje(f): 1:30pm On May 09, 2015
Let’s go back to the main issue. I had said it in previous articles that these governors were not voted into power to give excuses. They should simply resign if they can’t do the job and allow people with good ideas and political will to come in.

Endorse! If they are bereft of ideas, they should all resign. No be by force.
Imagine a state like Osun implementing free education when it can’t pay salaries of the teachers in the schools. Imagine what just N1000 per pupil (per term) in public schools will do to Osun State’s revenue and teachers’ salaries? Late Awolowo had the financial implications of his free education programme in the defunct Western Region properly worked out before implementation. These days, these governors just introduce all sorts of free things - free education, free health, free books, free marriage, and the rest of them, without considering the financial implications in the short, medium and long term.

As sensible as this writeup is, this is the part I don't agree with......... Majority of them are beneficiaries of free education so why deny the present generation what they themselves benefit from. They should focus on all other areas to do their cut saving measures.
Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by chymystique(f): 1:33pm On May 09, 2015
[size=13pt]Politicians should never be trusted.. He cant pay salaries of civil servants in his state but can pay HIS OWN Salary and that of HIS AIDES and expenses included... His pleas are for the birds.. If he is indeed a changed agent as he claimed, he should use his loot/money and pay off part of the state civil servants salary later FG will reinburse him else all these his talks are truckloads of Crap![/size]

2 Likes

Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by FitnessNigeria: 1:34pm On May 09, 2015
Twaci:
Hey Uncle smiley. How's ur day going?

Great, urs nko? and when are you coming back to otueke?
Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by kinglekan: 1:38pm On May 09, 2015
I keep wondering what goes through GMB's mind as he sees the situation of things on ground. So much would be expected of him.

www.nairaland.com/twaci
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2388096_coollogocom5062531_gifdbb2fefbdd9e975d8678c04d0a1169c1
Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by okiezman(m): 1:39pm On May 09, 2015
Twaci:
Hmmm, ok smiley

That's a d**k move
Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by Yeske2(m): 1:39pm On May 09, 2015
Anambra tinz on my mind, beautiful state.
Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by stephenqueen: 1:51pm On May 09, 2015
GMB MY HERO
FASHOLA MY ROLE MODEL
TWACI MY MISS NAIRALAND 2015
KEEP CALM AND VOTE www.nairaland.com/twaci For Miss NL
God bless you all

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2388096_coollogocom5062531_gifdbb2fefbdd9e975d8678c04d0a1169c1
Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by Nairapeople(m): 1:55pm On May 09, 2015

Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by Whynotthetruth(m): 1:55pm On May 09, 2015
I keep telling some sycophantic folks here like Passingshot, contactmorak, ujoatu, abagworo, berem etc who prefer partisanship to patriotism that scammers like Rochas of Imo state, Aregbesola of Osun state, Suswam of Benue state etc has no business in governance...compared to states like Anambra who get less in allocation but have more development projects and are even increasing salaries in the face of falling oil prices with prompt payment...Rochas is big scam...

These folks invent excuses when they were elected to provide solutions...They circulate propaganda where common sense should hold supreme...They shift their responsibilities to Jonathan whereas they are custodian of their state resources...While they owe workers they don't owe themselves and their aides...

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by EMANY01(m): 2:03pm On May 09, 2015
MzJackBaueress:

Hmmm! I smell hypocrisy!

I hope you know that about a million people voted for Jonathan Goodluck. In the southwest .
Are you saying that of the lot none of those voters are yoruba?
If your answer is yes then your f00ly is on display.

2 Likes

Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by cocaineaddict(m): 2:11pm On May 09, 2015
MzJackBaueress:

Hmmm! I smell hypocrisy!
you are not making sense
Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by asha80(m): 2:23pm On May 09, 2015
I have always believed that okorocha's administrative abilities is suspect and my belief has not changed
Re: Rochas Okorocha’s Ludicrous Plea For Aid To Pay Salaries. by asha80(m): 2:25pm On May 09, 2015
I have always believed that okorocha's administrative abilities is suspect and my belief has not changed

Osun used to be given as an example of a perfoming state...wonder what happened to it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Look At What Somebody Did For Ex. President Goodluck Jonathan / Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times / On The Foolish And Blind Hatred For President Muhammadu Buhari.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.