Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,787 members, 7,956,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:11 PM

How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep (16674 Views)

Standard Rate For Upkeep Allowance for working Wifey! / Should I Give My Husband Another Chance After All These? / Benue Father Of Triplets Solicits Support For Children's Upkeep (PHOTO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by dollarlander: 9:18pm On May 10, 2015
jayedu108:
@op remember notin last 4eva that ur N500,000 naira job might not be there tomorrow,make use of the opportunity u have and invest dat money so u can have somtin to fall back to should incase of any eventuality and it will also give u access to multiple income,nt necessary you depending on ur salary alone,as per ur wife I would rather advice u start a biz for her,so she can use the profit from the biz to assist the family in which ever way she can rather than leaving the responsibiltiy for u all alone not that you won't assist oh,bt shine ur eyes dis is naija the money might nt be there tomorrow make use of dis opporuntiy u av got nw and use dem wisely!

God bless you my dear. You will not perish, you will make heaven. The children of these evil world will not cut short your life.

Thanks.
Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by bukatyne(f): 9:19pm On May 10, 2015
dollarlander:

Una wan dig yam to the bottom of the pot, e ba!!! The one I divulged is okay. We. Live in one of the three most referred cities in Nigeria.

The fact I said my wife is not working is not to spite her, she is well educated and came from a well to do family. Just that her job hasn't come does not mean that she is not making effort to get one, I believe that hers will come soonest. But just that I want her listen to.me when I talk. We need to cut down every angle.

See most of people in Nigeria banking industry are loosing jobs and more will still loose their jobs because these institutions are cutting costs at all cost. Even oil and gas industries are doing the same.

If you are a CNN or aljazera person and listen to world views on economy you will understand you have to rigorously save for terrible days a head. If you are the kind of wife that all your life is on telemundo and these romance things that are not real especially given Nigeria economy you are due for a doom, because you don't know what is going on at the economic analysis of things, everyone is just saying things are not easy.

For instance beside the house I live is a 2 plots of land with uncompleted 6 flats. The owners are couples who had worked in the bank before but lost their jobs almost the same time, they have four kids, if you see them you will dash them money. The only grace they have is that they are able to build small rooms on the second plot and managed to roof the main uncompleted building.

Life is not easy for this couple. Imagine couple who were working, talk of only one working in this instance.

What I want is that we deny some pleasure so we might not suffer in the future.

Imaging saving 30k a month from that 100k and using the remaining money buying properties that appreciate over time. Land as asset are becoming expensive yearly. Its better to invest on landed properties than putting the money in the bank. Estate appreciate banks go on distress and your money also distressed.

If at all anything happens you can still continue your life without thinking of suicide. In my own case life continues, I've been through worst situations that did not end my life so from experience until a man dies there's hope to succeed.

People reason with me o. If you make bad monetary decisions people will spite you at the end. G

The bolded not necessary

I am sure If you communicate your fears to your wife with these points she will understand your POV and have similar vision.

Goodluck.
Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by Dyt(f): 9:22pm On May 10, 2015
Mrs0J:

Lol Dyt oya cum n translate for ur babe ooo.

He's saying thank you
Thank you
Thank you

And the proverb means
Those living in a glass house shouldn't throw stones
Hmmmmmm
Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by Nobody: 9:23pm On May 10, 2015
Spot on Op
Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 10, 2015
Dyt:

He's saying thank you
Thank you
Thank you

And the proverb means
Those living in a glass house shouldn't throw stones
Hmmmmmm

Thanks dearie

2 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by dollarlander: 9:36pm On May 10, 2015
IamforGod:
1. Why did u tell her how much u earn?

2. You are giving 4 people 100k wat do u use the remaining 400k for?

3.its a month. Not a week 100 k is Just fine if not work harder and earn more

1. There is danger in your wife not knowing how much you earn. It means you are two separate people living together, only come together for conjugation release the white or creamy fluid, depends on the type that erupts from you, into her and go your separate ways. And when people see you outside you behave as if you are one. You think you are deceiving people you are deceiving yourselves because time will soon tell.

2. I pay my tithe, I give my parents their salary, use some to change wardrobes for the four when necessary and save the rest to buy lands. I want us to buy more properties that's my concern here. We are not living in an economic stable country.

3. Bros I'm working harder. I don't sleep most of the night solving problems on my computer to ensure things are okay. I bought a laptop that has 8 hers battery life with light up keyboard so that I can cut down on generator fuel.

Bros, 100k too much o for now because a time will come I may not be able to work long hours it is the one I invested today that i will fall back on later. By then if I can't provide will she understand why?

3 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by dollarlander: 9:46pm On May 10, 2015
Mrs0J:
Spot on Op

Madam OJ, I thought you are a Yoruba woman when I read Yoruba in one of your post. The interpreter is okay. Thank you very much.

This thread has put joy in my mind because ideas keep flowing from people with good will. But there are some young wives here that have not faced reality of life. They behave and talk like SHELL people wives. They dress to kill to show hubby get money, travel all over the europe for shopping, not knowing to them hubby is taking loans to meet up with the wifey needs. When oil company has the husband to go and relax at home, the money they pay the hubby minus the loans may amount to nothing and BP will rise, few months later mortuary, obituary.

People save, save, saveeee

3 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by dollarlander: 9:52pm On May 10, 2015
bukatyne:

The bolded not necessary

I am sure If you communicate your fears to your wife with these points she will understand your POV and have similar vision.

Goodluck.

I can understand why the bolded is not necessary tobyiu because you are a telemundo person, that's why @oloyede yabbed you the other time.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by Nobody: 9:56pm On May 10, 2015
dollarlander:

Madam OJ, I thought you are a Yoruba woman when I read Yoruba in one of your post. The interpreter is okay. Thank you very much.

This thread has put joy in my mind because ideas keep flowing from people with good will. But there are some young wives here that have not faced reality of life. They behave and talk like SHELL people wives. They dress to kill to show hubby get money, travel all over the europe for shopping, not knowing to them hubby is taking loans to meet up with the wifey needs. When oil company has the husband to go and relax at home, the money they pay the hubby minus the loans may amount to nothing and BP will rise, few months later mortuary, obituary.

People save, save, saveeee

Lol am yoruba by marriage, still learning the language.

My brother as a woman, i love good things ( shoes, clothes, etc) but not at the detriment of my family's future. You reason like ur bro( my hubby), so please make iyawo to understand, heart to heart long night talk will solve the problem.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by jany(f): 10:22pm On May 10, 2015
Oga wetin telemundo do u? I personally dont watch it but u keep mentioning it. I think ur main beef with ur wife is that she does not have a job.
Before i comment or make suggestions y not say where u live so pple can know where to start from. What type of school your kids go to so we can measure the standard of living they are used to.
U mentioned in one of your posts that you pay your parents their salary every month. Biko how much and what job are they doing for you? Do you also pay your wifes parents too or she takes from the 100k? or you dont think her own parents also deserve salary?.
Why not decide how much u will give her for personal upkeep and give her that for like 2 months while you buy everything the home needs so u will have an idea of how much is actually spent then you start your discussion from there.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by Dheartless: 11:29pm On May 10, 2015
^^^^

complete rubbish

3 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by lovinam: 11:46pm On May 10, 2015
Hmmmmmmm. I don't think 100k is too much. Its just ok, I will have an issue with your wife if she doesn't save from the 100k. Sit her down and ask her to break down the expenses. That's what I did some years back and still do it too. Ask her to write down every single purchase she makes daily. I mean right down to mathches or toothpick. It will help you know if she is a reckless spender or not. It will also help her cut down on her frivolous spending
CHM11:

N30,000 for one month is not small for foodstuff. Especially for a young family. Its just 4 weeks, what is she eating that she will spend 30K on only foodstuff in a month. Abeg let's be realistic, half bag of rice is about 5K which definitely they can't finish in 2 months.

This woman is just being wasteful or she has other plans of having her own personal savings without working!!!!
Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by San2ski(m): 11:49pm On May 10, 2015
Mrs0J:
@ OP, you have gotten enough reasonable advice here. Pls communicate with your wife.

Am a mother also with a family of 5. I spend 60k per month on feeding, sometimes it will be enough, sometimes it won't cos my kids are picky eaters. Plus we mothers and wives knows how to prepare good quality meals but we tend to cut down to manage things. Your wife don't need to burn fuel all the time, rather channel the cash to other areas. From 8am I drop my kids to school, i get so busy with house erands that i don't have time to watch TV or take a nap.( i don't have house help).
Pls discuss with your wife, a wife should help her hubby to manage and build the home.

Mrs OJ, d'yu hv a younger unmarried sister?
You seem to come from a good breed.

3 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by Hotstepper(f): 12:48am On May 11, 2015
When my hubby thought I spend a lot on feeding, I started writing down every single thing I buy even if na 5 naira and at the end of the month, I will present it to him. Infact, there was a time he went to the market to buy stuff and came back.and told.me na wah oo, everything is so expensive and feeding went from 30k to 50k cuz sometimes i.will put 1 fish instead of 2. At a point he started saying ' I won't suffer to make money and suffer to eat it' lol. Even at that, he has bought lands and will soon start building yet he's training his siblings nd taking care of his mum.

I.dont think any woman won't want good thing for her family like owning their own house etc. I still think you have to discuss with your wife. Mind you, I cook soup everyday cuz no light where we are etc.

We also have education fund for our kids for uni with put money every month. I don't get any allowance nd it's from the feeding that I use to do my hair but then we don't live in expensive and big city

3 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by Nobody: 5:14am On May 11, 2015
San2ski:

Mrs OJ, d'yu hv a younger unmarried sister?
You seem to come from a good breed.

Thanks.....

No, don't have an unmarried sis.
Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by Nobody: 5:26am On May 11, 2015
Hotstepper:
When my hubby thought I spend a lot on feeding, I started writing down every single thing I buy even if na 5 naira and at the end of the month, I will present it to him. Infact, there was a time he went to the market to buy stuff and came back.and told.me na wah oo, everything is so expensive and feeding went from 30k to 50k cuz sometimes i.will put 1 fish instead of 2. At a point he started saying ' I won't suffer to make money and suffer to eat it' lol. Even at that, he has bought lands and will soon start building yet he's training his siblings nd taking care of his mum.

I.dont think any woman won't want good thing for her family like owning their own house etc. I still think you have to discuss with your wife. Mind you, I cook soup everyday cuz no light where we are etc.

We also have education fund for our kids for uni with put money every month. I don't get any allowance nd it's from the feeding that I use to do my hair but then we don't live in expensive and big city

My sis the struggle is real, you arr doing a good Job. We don't bring kids into this world to make them suffer, rather to secure their bright future.

I always console myself that whatever i don't have now, i will have it later. That's why i don't keep flashy friends.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by dollarlander: 6:10am On May 11, 2015
jany:
Oga wetin telemundo do u? I personally dont watch it but u keep mentioning it. I think ur main beef with ur wife is that she does not have a job.
Before i comment or make suggestions y not say where u live so pple can know where to start from. What type of school your kids go to so we can measure the standard of living they are used to.
U mentioned in one of your posts that you pay your parents their salary every month. Biko how much and what job are they doing for you? Do you also pay your wifes parents too or she takes from the 100k? or you dont think her own parents also deserve salary?.
Why not decide how much u will give her for personal upkeep and give her that for like 2 months while you buy everything the home needs so u will have an idea of how much is actually spent then you start your discussion from there.
Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by oloyede252(m): 6:26am On May 11, 2015
bukatyne:

Next time, use your drugs before coming online

u too Next time find yourself a job before coming online cos that seems to be affecting you.

Jobless woMAN

1 Like

Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by San2ski(m): 7:29am On May 11, 2015
Haaaaww!
Ladies have drawn their swords
Op see what you caused. Now some of is who earn 40k per month are in real trouble shocked
Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by 2goodbobo(m): 11:10am On May 11, 2015
OP, you should even give her more than 100k considering all she does in taking care of the home front while you are out there working.
House wife deserves more respect from their partners cos is not easy. I am a married man and if i was in your shoes, i will give her
even more. stop moaning and groaning. If you cant bear it, get her a job and stop being stingy. 100k for a whole month in this
harsh economic weather we are living him? Haba bros you should even add extra allowance for her sef.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by mekzyjoe(m): 12:58pm On May 11, 2015
its strange readin som of dese comments here, i dont even earn upto to 200(150-200) so wahala day for me b dat na cry...abeg bro..cut down on ur spendind n talk to ur wife abeg

2 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by Nobody: 9:06am On May 14, 2015
jany:
Oga wetin telemundo do u? I personally dont watch it but u keep mentioning it. I think your main beef with ur wife is that she does not have a job.

I think matter will be solved once wifey gets a job. I'm also in between jobs right now but hubby and I don't have money squabbles because he buys everything in the home himself, main groceries, toiletries, water, drinks, fuel for gen, baby food, kid's clothes, diapers ,dstv, domestic staff salary, etc So he knows exactly how much it costs to run a home. I only collect money for individual soups and stews when I want to cook, market is a walking distance so i send the help to get the things on my list, and then money for my hair. I no get time to argue with man for money b4 it will generate insult. So far this system is working for us. I guess it helps that I am shelving my own personal expenses till I get a new job. I was used to a relatively lavish lifestyle b4 I got married and became a stay at home mum but I'm taking this period as temporary sacrifice till I get a job and use my money to cater to my "frivolous" needs.
Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by dollarlander: 11:44am On May 14, 2015
Mrs0J:

Lol am yoruba by marriage, still learning the language.

My brother as a woman, i love good things ( shoes, clothes, etc) but not at the detriment of my family's future. You reason like ur bro( my hubby), so please make iyawo to understand, heart to heart long night talk will solve the problem.

@Dyt

MrsOJ and @Dyt, I want to thank these characters that were involved in supplying real life stories of theirs and others that contributed wisely.
Someone said Nairaland is not the place to get solution to my question, but I want to tell that person that he/she was wrong.

I think Nairaland is the best place to get solution to issues like these because you avoid telling your stories to people, family, friends or Pastors that know you and can use your case to spite you in your presence or absence.

I don't know MrsOJ and she doesn't know me. She may even be my neighbour but the e-partition between us makes it easy to share my mind with you guys.

So, after all you peoples ideas, bashings and wise suggestions I sat down with my wife and I realised that I need to do more, it is not easy.
In my mind I decided to add extra 40k to her monthly allowance but I told her 20 which she greatly appreciated and was very happy about it.

There are problems that are easily solvable if due diligence and round table solution are applied. I was able to understand what I did not see that were happening. And I also see that, since I have been getting pay rise to be able to reach 500k salary, which is still continous, my wife also deserves pay rise.

So people, thank you very much for your input God bless you. And the person that is collecting below 200k, you will be promoted to 1million naira per month. All of you will experience economic turn around that will change your stories for good. It is already happening, those who stole Nigeria money are already returning them and courts that will accellerate probation of corrupt politicians and government officials are being setup by the President elect to collect substancial stolen funds. Ah!!! Patience Jonathan da'ran(she is in trouble).

Thank you guys God bless.

Thread continues please, don't close it let others come here to learn and drop their first class experience.

7 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by Hotstepper(f): 12:44pm On May 14, 2015
Thank God it ended in praise. It is always good for couples to communicate because it solves a lot of problems.

Good job and may God continue to bless you financially

dollarlander:

@Dyt

MrsOJ and @Dyt, I want to thank these characters that were involved in supplying real life stories of theirs and others that contributed wisely.
Someone said Nairaland is not the place to get solution to my question, but I want to tell that person that he/she was wrong.

I think Nairaland is the best place to get solution to issues like these because you avoid telling your stories to people, family, friends or Pastors that know you and can use your case to spite you in your presence or absence.

I don't know MrsOJ and she doesn't know me. She may even be my neighbour but the e-partition between us makes it easy to share my mind with you guys.

So, after all you peoples ideas, bashings and wise suggestions I sat down with my wife and I realised that I need to do more, it is not easy.
In my mind I decided to add extra 40k to her monthly allowance but I told her 20 which she greatly appreciated and was very happy about it.

There are problems that are easily solvable if due diligence and round table solution are applied. I was able to understand what I did not see that were happening. And I also see that, since I have been getting pay rise to be able to reach 500k salary, which is still continous, my wife also deserves pay rise.

So people, thank you very much for your input God bless you. And the person that is collecting below 200k, you will be promoted to 1million naira per month. All of you will experience economic turn around that will change your stories for good. It is already happening, those who stole Nigeria money are already returning them and courts that will accellerate probation of corrupt politicians and government officials are being setup by the President elect to collect substancial stolen funds. Ah!!! Patience Jonathan da'ran(she is in trouble).

Thread continues please, don't close it let others come here to learn and drop their first class experience.
Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by focus7: 1:20pm On May 14, 2015
Op, I am married man. By my estimation, to give considerable comfort to your family you will be spending 150k per month. At the income of 500k per month, your wife is not asking for too much, whatever income a man earn should reflect in the welfare of his family, I am not advocating for a woman to be wasteful but sir, if you goes to the market, you praise this our women for their effort.

1 Like

Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by nachie20(f): 1:32pm On May 14, 2015
@OP: You've done well. May God bless your home and give you the wisdom to wisely invest whatever you put aside for investment.
Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by Nobody: 2:59pm On May 14, 2015
dollarlander:

@Dyt

Am so happy it ended well and Madam got an increase(I tap into her anointing).
Wishing your home peace, harmony, understanding, love, long life and promotion.
Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by zed7: 3:02pm On May 14, 2015
Women of course will reason with their hearts and not their heads. We need to guide them. I can see them saying the 100k sef too small.
To be honest, nothing is too much to spend on ur family but one must be reasonable. That you earn much today doesn't guarantee u will earn same tomorrow.
Always try to live a lifestyle u can maintain so that even if things go wrong, one can adjust without getting frustrated. U don't eat all u have in one day.
500k is a lot of mny for the average Nigerian worker. I would advice u spend like someone who earns 250k. Save the rest and invest in tomorrow. We have seen many well paid people struggle after losing a job. A lot even borrow to sustain the former lifestyle.
A real man is one who can provide the basic necessary comfort at all times and not one that can provide luxury for a while and then be a shadow of himself tomorrow.
Meanwhile, madam should also work too. When u guys finally become really successful, u can spend 100k a day on food sef if u like.

1 Like

Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by Afam4eva(m): 6:13am On May 28, 2015
Hotstepper:

Is this in Canada?
Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by tforever(m): 10:13am On May 28, 2015
dollarlander:
Dear Nairalander, this is a personal issue I need you peoples help. It is not happening to my friend or someone else but me.

I need views from everyone, especially married families.
I earn, as an average income of almost 500k per month, even when I was earning 300k plus I've been fighting this issue. My wife demands for 100k monthly to manage a home of four people, myself, she and 2 kids less than 8yrs hold.

I'm the one working she is not. Telling her to find a way to stop spends on fuel for generator but each time I raise this there will be terrible fight.

I have an opinion that we need to reduce our spends on grocery items so that we can build up enough savings for better things. She talks about savings but she finds it difficult to deny herself some pleasure.

I want to take some decisions but I think I need to seek popular opinions if I'm wrong and I'm not seeing reasons with her or my perception is wrong about what to be spent to keep the home monthly.

I need some monthly home expenditure break down, with this size of family, to help me make the right judgement because the marriage is looking to me like a fundamental mistake exists somewhere.

Please nairalanders I need your opinion, from especially mothers who are in marriage and understand what I'm talking about, because I'm the one paying all the bills. I also pay for all the TV dishes in my her for her to watch telemundo with generator.

Please what do I do. Thank you.

Pls moderators, I'll be glad if this hits the front page I need candid opinions before I run into irreparable mistakes. Thanks.
if you ask me I suggest she finds something to do for herself too so that supporting the family can come from both sides. It's better that way.
Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by dollarlander: 11:23am On May 28, 2015
tforever:
if you ask me I suggest she finds something to do for herself too so that supporting the family can come from both sides. It's better that way.

Thank you!!!
Re: How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep by thelish(f): 6:53am On May 29, 2015
Floodgater:
Like you said, its personal issue, what you and your wife spend should not be a factor of what others spend. I believe your wife knows how much you earn, hence her demands. The fact still remains that expense will increase with increased income. She can use 100k or less but i think its not bad if you give her 100k(20%) out of 500k monthly because her personal expense and savings is from there, yes that is also what she refers to when she talks about savings abi you give her seperate money for hair, clothes etc. Op, you have not really convinced me your wife is a spend thrift but you have given me a concern to warn you to watch it. You are gradually building resentments for your wife steming basically from her not working so that you are angry when you see her watching tv, buying fuel etc with "your money" to the point of asking if you didnt mistake marrying her. Btw why is she not working? did you open a business for her that she refused? Even if she is a spend thrift, she has other good qualities for which you married her. You look like your background influenced your choice with finance, possibly same with hers, in that case you should complement each other, you can make good savings from the 400k (80%), encourage her to work, focus on her good side too or you want her to only see you as stingy, you have bad sides too.
God will increase ur wisdom

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator / Monstrous Mothers Who Killed Their Own Children / 5th Birthday Of A Nairalander's Cute Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.