Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,409 members, 7,826,580 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

Is This Right? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is This Right? (1273 Views)

Is This Right? Nigerian Mum Locks Her Kids At Home & Goes 2 Work Daily(pics / Is This Right? / I Have Never Seen The Full unclothedness Of My Husband, Is This Right? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Right? by amtheone(m): 12:12pm On May 11, 2015
Here is the story; my friend whose wedding is coming up at the end of this month(May 2015) is not too happy with her dad. The reason is, her dad works with one of the Governors in Nigeria, the Governor is well aware of the wedding and as such invites the lady and her fiance and a cheque of 5million was given to them at the end of the day as a gift to them to start their lives. The cheque was written in favour of the lady. They were extremely happy.

Now the challenge is that my friend's dad being aware of the gift is demanding for the sum of 2million from the 5milion. His reason is that, he has a project that he wants to complete with such amount.

My friend is very angry with her dad although her fiance is of the opinion that she should grant her dad's request.

Question now is that, is it right for her dad to demand for such?
Re: Is This Right? by Tallesty1(m): 12:15pm On May 11, 2015
This one is strong.
Re: Is This Right? by blank(f): 12:23pm On May 11, 2015
Whether right or wrong, just look at it as giving the dad a gift. If the dad was not working with the governor, will she have the N5m at all? Give and it shall be given unto you.

5 Likes

Re: Is This Right? by MRBrownJ: 12:26pm On May 11, 2015
it all depends on the type of family you got....some will say yes without even blinking while others would say NO.
many questions need answers:
- what is the project that the father wants to do?
- why doesnt he ask his employer for a loan then?
- before giving him the money, will he be ok if they inform the governor then?
- is that money not for this young couple to start their married lives?
- is she willing to get into a war with her father?

i certainly understand why she is angry with her dad...... i would have also been angry if this happened to me.
Re: Is This Right? by ifyalways(f): 12:59pm On May 11, 2015
If an outsider linked them up to a governor, would they have not settled him/her?

I find the dad's style of asking for the money distatesful but If i were the one,I would give him. Some battles are not worth fighting especially as they are just about to start their lives .

2 Likes

Re: Is This Right? by MzJackBaueress(f): 1:17pm On May 11, 2015
blank:
Whether right or wrong, just look at it as giving the dad a gift. If the dad was not working with the governor, will she have the N5m at all? Give and it shall be given unto you.
so you want to tell me since her father knew the governor,the governor hasn't given him 2million naira before or he hasn't gotten contracts worth that amount from the governor?

The girl's father is just greedy. The money is a wedding gift and it belongs to the couple. If the father needs money,he should either go to his friends and borrow or he should meet the governor.

Simple!

3 Likes

Re: Is This Right? by blank(f): 1:33pm On May 11, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
so you want to tell me since her father knew the governor,the governor hasn't given him 2million naira before or he hasn't gotten contracts worth that amount from the governor?

The girl's father is just greedy. The money is a wedding gift and it belongs to the couple. If the father needs money,he should either go to his friends and borrow or he should meet the governor.

Simple!

I feel the same but there are some things not worth fighting over especially with your dad. It's just money and it was a gift not as if it is all their live savings. My philosophy on life is just give. Have you heard of the monkey that put it's hand in a bottle filled with groundnut and its hand got stuck. It refused to release the groundnut and thus could not escape.

Instead of being grumpy about it, go to him and tell him that they even decided to make it 2.2m because he is a wonderful dad and he deserves even more. Money is too inconsequential to fight over.

2 Likes

Re: Is This Right? by Wendy80(f): 1:48pm On May 11, 2015
It's wrong for her Dad to make such demand but she should just give him to avoid issues in their 'about to start' union
Re: Is This Right? by johnlegend01: 2:26pm On May 11, 2015
Hmmm..... I think it ain't right. Although the fiance says the lady should grant the dad's request, it does not mean he sees it as right.
I believe the dad will lose some respect.
Re: Is This Right? by pretydiva(f): 2:48pm On May 11, 2015
Dis is strong. Wat kind of project is her dad working on? If it's a realistic one, I suggest she gve him d money or at least a million naira
Re: Is This Right? by SAMBARRY: 2:53pm On May 11, 2015
The matter get as e be jare
Re: Is This Right? by amtheone(m): 3:25pm On May 11, 2015
Well, from all indications it appears that there no project at the moment because when I asked her if the project her dad is talking about is real, her answer was not valid. She is of the opinion that her dad is surprised by such amount(5m) as he may not have thought that the Governor will give them 5m and as such wants to get a part of it by all means.

Her major concern is that her dad's action has portrayed him as a greedy person before her fiance.

The 2m has been sent to his account already.

1 Like

Re: Is This Right? by perry2020(f): 11:42am On Jun 28, 2015
amtheone:
Well, from all indications it appears that there no project at the moment because when I asked her if the project her dad is talking about is real, her answer was not valid. She is of the opinion that her dad is surprised by such amount(5m) as he may not have thought that the Governor will give them 5m and as such wants to get a part of it by all means.

Her major concern is that her dad's action has portrayed him as a greedy person before her fiance.

The 2m has been sent to his account already.

Of course He is greedy is there a worse word than greedy??
Re: Is This Right? by EfemenaXY: 11:57am On Jun 28, 2015
This isn't nice.

Well, at least they've still got N3m from doing nothing.

By the way, did that money come from the governor's pocket / personal finance? Or is it state-owned money that could be better used for improving the lives of the masses (such as stocking up hospitals with medicines), being diverted into greedy pockets for personal use?
Re: Is This Right? by thorpido(m): 3:11pm On Jun 28, 2015
EfemenaXY:
This isn't nice.

Well, at least they've still got N3m from doing nothing.

By the way, did that money come from the governor's pocket / personal finance? Or is it state-owned money that could be better used for improving the lives of the masses (such as stocking up hospitals with medicines), being diverted into greedy pockets for personal use?
Obviously it's government money.
Ironically,the family might be part of those who used to say the leaders are not good.
Re: Is This Right? by focus7: 1:50am On Jun 29, 2015
Though this post old but still interesting. That father was wrong, it shows he's not responsible, shameless and have no value for honour.
Re: Is This Right? by Nobody: 2:31am On Jun 29, 2015
I hope she cashed the cheque before May 29?
Re: Is This Right? by repogirl(f): 10:54am On Jun 29, 2015
Its not right for the dad to demand such but being her dad, she should give him or renegotiate it to 1 million or 1.5 million.......he is her father afterall and it was his comnections that helped with the money. She should consider it as a sort of appreciation fee for hooking her up with the governor.
Re: Is This Right? by southernbelle(f): 2:28pm On Jun 29, 2015
maybe this may sound different, but if i were the girl, i wouldn't mind giving my dad the #2million not minding what he's using it for smiley

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

16 Tips To Make Your Wife Happy / TRUE LIFE STORY..... Pls What Will You Do? / My Elder Brother Is Getting On My Nerves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.