Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,496 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram - Politics (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram (109566 Views)

Chai See How A Ghanaian Finished Nigeria On Twitter / [Classified Video, MUST WATCH]: NNAMDI KANU HAS FINISHED NIGERIA!!! / See What This Ghanaian TV Presenter Wrote About Buhari's Outfit To The G7summit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by lezz(m): 11:22am On May 18, 2015
iamord:
me telling you to shut up is more like a heart to heart talk. You having been making a fool of yourself
i will translate that to slaughtering you and chopping you to size.

you are either countering my assertions with facts or you spare us your emotions and opinions ; they mean little here.

1 Like

Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by Nobody: 11:37am On May 18, 2015
PunkyOh:

Can't read the rest of your gibberish but I couldn't help laughing at the part where you call me ugly. You don't talk to ugly girls but why do you still talk to your momma & the rest of the girls In your village? You girls aren't known for good looks, munchkins. I'm probably prettier than your entire family tree. Girl I know I'm prettier than you, prettier than your bearded momma, prettier than your grandmother, prettier than everyone on your block, etc. Don't hate but appreciate, pretty me cheesy
and yet again u proved me RIGHT u are not only UGLY and RETARDED but soooo not smart as in DUMBSOR...........p.s I don't live in blocks I know u do... ...but u can cry oooo since yesterday ah ah all u do here z WAIL,,WAIL,,WAIL wot a teary funky girl.....
all u post here z insult-first symptom of a DEPRESSED and FRUSTRATED girl suffering 4rm BIPOLAR DISORDER...
@funkyHO taking panadol on nig. headache

NIG.z D BEST COUNTRY IN AFRICA....oya continue crying

if u continue @ dis rate d best I can promise u z a PSYCHRATIC home....

now if u know ur unborn children will not marry nigerains ignore dis post....
meanwhile u ve been noticed .....
ur presence has bin recognized as irrelevant and insignificant.... oya FLY FLY su su dry chicken
Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by Nobody: 11:41am On May 18, 2015
Those people are too black. They need the light more.
Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by JiggamanGh: 11:47am On May 18, 2015
lezz:
you really don't know much. MINT is the acronym for the newest 4 countries emerging as economic powers namely Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria and turkey. two years ago, it was BRICs namely Brazil, Russia, India and China.

We didn't ascribe it to ourselves, the world did. the 60% is your own way of easing your hurt and envy.

Nigeria has a bigger and larger middle class than ghana. as well our upper class is also miles ahead.

when it comes to countries, you do not compare ghana to nigeria.

you belong to the medium class. go ask Mr Annan.

Does that acronym provide food for the 60% nigerians that can't feed themselves. How many of the so called mint countries can be compared to Norway, Belgium, Singapore, Sweden and many other countries.

The fact is two of the so called mint countries have half of Te worlc poorest people. The economy is based on your Pop.

Keep worrying about nicknames while your people remain poor. Misplaced priorities

1 Like

Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by achimotan(m): 11:48am On May 18, 2015
iamord:
achimotan thanks a lot. You see these mofos make too much noise and feel that the world revolves around them. There are alot if Africans in NASA. Playing key roles and not making noise. The sad part is the he gets his news like it's from the village town crier.. In addition to your point. We also have Francis allotey. A mathematical physicist.. He was the key person in calculating the speed for one of the space shuttle to pass through earth into the orbit. He is also
Created The Allotey Formalism". the technique used to
determine matter in outer space, which has helped NASA and other space agencies explore space. There are alot of them making africa proud yet stay humble Some empty headed peeps just like to brag

He says its an oversight so lets grant him that. But the way Rocky, i like your contributions on skyscrapercity forum
Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by JiggamanGh: 11:52am On May 18, 2015
lezz:
the only things positive is that Nigerians don't wait for their government. thats why we are ahead and with generators we have produced billionaires, nollywood and Africa's largest economy.

s.a and ghana have active docile citizens always supet relying on their government to put them in their nests and drop half-chewed droppings on their open mouths.

You are talk, you are nothing but loud mouth b!tches.
Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by Nobody: 11:54am On May 18, 2015
JiggamanGh:

Fools always getting org#sm of nicknames. There are many countries that are not part of the so called mint but are doing way better and their citizens are also doing better. Is either Nigeria, Indonesia better than Singapore, Norway, Belgium. Instead of worrying about feeding 60% of your citizens, you are worried apart nicknames. Feed nigerians
@jigaman u made me start commenting on dis thread yesterday wit ur statement
*average nig. lives on less than 1$*
*60% of nig.. are poor *

I told u d@ it does not make any sense @ all
but u kip repeating it.......it shows just 1 thing u ve noting 2 say......don't lemme insult u....

1 Like

Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by JiggamanGh: 12:02pm On May 18, 2015
ddami:
*60% of nig.. are poor *

but u kip repeating it.......it shows just 1 thing u ve noting 2 say......don't lemme insult u....

Please read these articles

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-03-17/nigeria-overtaking-south-africa-s-economy-masks-poverty-trap

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/112-5-million-nigerians-live-in-poverty-nbs/
Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by PunkyOh(f): 12:04pm On May 18, 2015
ddami:
and yet again u proved me RIGHT u are not only UGLY and RETARDED but soooo not smart as in DUMBSOR...........p.s I don't live in blocks I know u do... ...but u can cry oooo since yesterday ah ah all u do here z WAIL,,WAIL,,WAIL wot a teary funky girl.....
all u post here z insult-first symptom of a DEPRESSED and FRUSTRATED girl suffering 4rm BIPOLAR DISORDER...

ur presence has bin recognized as irrelevant and insignificant.... oya FLY FLY su su dry chicken

Two words for you, fùck you!
Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by JiggamanGh: 12:07pm On May 18, 2015
ddami:
*60% of nig.. are poor *

7% of the world poorest live in nigeria. Stop letting your government deceive you with nicknames and jargons and do your own research.

http://m.deccanherald.com/content/398196/india-china-among-world039s-poorest.html/
Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by lezz(m): 12:30pm On May 18, 2015
JiggamanGh:

Does that acronym provide food for the 60% nigerians that can't feed themselves. How many of the so called mint countries can be compared to Norway, Belgium, Singapore, Sweden and many other countries.

The fact is two of the so called mint countries have half of Te worlc poorest people. The economy is based on your Pop.

Keep worrying about nicknames while your people remain poor. Misplaced priorities
your case is hopeless. heaven knows i have tried pointing you to the light.
MINT is an indication the countries in question are progressing to the next level. they are not at par with Norway, sweden but have shown signs of great progress. hence Nigeria and Indonesia are first and second in producing the highest number of millionaires. Nigeria's GDP is no joke on paper.
5 years ago, there were no Nigerian firms in ghana. but today we have OandO, Dangote, zenith, GTB, ECO, GLO investing in ghana's economy.

nope we ain't hungry!!! we are a monstrous $594 billion dollar GDP and when you have that kind of behemoth as your neighbour, YOU ARE BOUND TO FEEL VERY SMALL.

2 Likes

Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by JiggamanGh: 12:35pm On May 18, 2015
lezz:

your case is hopeless. heaven knows i have tried pointing you to the light.
MINT is an indication the countries in question are progressing to the next level. they are not at par with Norway, sweden but have shown signs of great progress. hence Nigeria and Indonesia are first and second in producing the highest number of millionaires. Nigeria's GDP is no joke on paper.
5 years ago, there were no Nigerian firms in ghana. but today we have OandO, Dangote, zenith, GTB, ECO, GLO investing in ghana's economy.

nope we ain't hungry!!! we are a monstrous $594 billion dollar GDP and when you have that kind of behemoth as your neighbour, YOU ARE BOUND TO FEEL VERY SMALL.

Yet you still can't feed your people. 60% of your people. 102 million nigerians can't feed themselves. You are only in that mint group because of your Pop which you can't feed.

http://m.deccanherald.com/content/398196/india-china-among-world039s-poorest.html/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by iconize(m): 12:52pm On May 18, 2015
JiggamanGh:

The largest economy but you still can't feed 60% of your people. Half of the world poorest lives in India, nigeria and Indonesia. That's a shame.

iconize:

With 14 Million in Ghana Starving Each Year, U.S. Aid Conditional on Introduction of GM Seed

"The US embassy in Accra held a roundtable on biotechnology this month. The discussion, designed to promote candid dialogue between biotechnology supporters and sceptics, was attended by experts and campaign groups on both sides of the GM foods debate.

But one Ghanaian campaign group refused the invitation. "Our call for a moratorium on GM foods was met with an invitation to a closed-door discussion," said Duke Tagoe, of Food Sovereignty Ghana, which campaigns for greater transparency about GM foods. "We are deeply worried about what seems like an imposition of genetically modified foods on the good people of Ghana without any meaningful public discourse, compounded by attempts to stifle any opposition."

Food Sovereignty Ghana and other domestic organisations accuse the US and other foreign donors of promoting GM foods to west African countries, and tying aid to implementation."
Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by iamord(m): 1:24pm On May 18, 2015
achimotan:

He says its an oversight so lets grant him that. But the way Rocky, i like your contributions on skyscrapercity forum
lol thank u.. How did u know me in skyscraper city?
Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by iamord(m): 1:27pm On May 18, 2015
lezz:
i will translate that to slaughtering you and chopping you to size.

you are either countering my assertions with facts or you spare us your emotions and opinions ; they mean little here.
who are the US Guy I don't know y u take pride in being a virtual hooligan. your immature feats won't pass the nairaland walls.
Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by achimotan(m): 1:37pm On May 18, 2015
iamord:
lol thank u.. How did u know me in skyscraper city?

i once checked ur signature here and i think it had that username.Am a skyscraper city fan
Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by Nobody: 1:37pm On May 18, 2015
JiggamanGh:

7% of the world poorest live in nigeria. Stop letting your government deceive you with nicknames and jargons and do your own research.

I opened dis website read just d bolded part and it ended wit "says a new world bank paper"....rily.... how many of dis ur statiscians ever asked a single Nigerian how much dey live on a day not even an online poll......"dose pple c d world through a lens and report based on deir thoughts" ask some one on nl how much dey live on......so 112mill are poor,,average nig..lives on less Dan $1 and likes of
Akon
Amber rose
Kim k
Sean Kingston (regular)
Chris Tucker
Rick Ross will com here and and we won't start eating dem right 4rm d airport...
*even Ghana will b giving us aid*
*u don't even know how much an average Nigerian spends on generator*****
Am an average Nigerian and I spend almost $11 a day..
**ur fellow compatriot z in nig. @iamlord ask him how much he thinks an average Nigerian spends a day......

1 Like

Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by lezz(m): 1:38pm On May 18, 2015
ddami:

LOL. i never knew you could be this lethal.

nice surprise though.

1 Like

Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by emeka1101: 1:46pm On May 18, 2015

1 Like

Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by Nobody: 1:51pm On May 18, 2015
lezz:
LOL. i never knew you could be this lethal.

nice surprise though.
@lezz well sompple just pass deir respective territories..... buh u re still my boss wit ol dose facts and all...... I swear d@ 1 thing I don't ve patience for

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by lezz(m): 2:02pm On May 18, 2015
ddami:
I opened dis website read just d bolded part and it ended wit "says a new world bank paper"....rily.... how many of dis ur statiscians ever asked a single Nigerian how much dey live on a day not even an online poll......"dose pple c d world through a lens and report based on deir thoughts" ask some one on nl how much dey live on......so 112mill are poor,,average nig..lives on less Dan $1 and likes of
Akon
Amber rose
Kim k
Sean Kingston (regular)
Chris Tucker
Rick Ross will com here and and we won't start eating dem right 4rm d airport...
**ur fellow compatriot z in nig. @iamlord ask him how much he thinks an average Nigerian spends a day......
never take such links seriously. what iamord and co lack is simple basic education.

china is 1 billion plus so she always have her fair share of poor people as well as rich people .

same way USA is 300 million and has moor poor people than Norway !!! now US is not only infinitely greater than Norway but is home to the world's greatest billionaires by number.

Nigeria is home to africa's number of billionaires and millionaires, she also have fair number of poor people as well.

it is the reason Nigeria is Africa's top direct investment destination centre and Africa's top candidate for permanent seat at the UN security council.

we are Ghana's boss. Kofi, their illustrious son cannot be wrong.

1 Like

Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by iamord(m): 2:02pm On May 18, 2015
achimotan:

i once checked ur signature here and i think it had that username.Am a skyscraper city fan

haha. Thank you. It's a small world. Alot of development coming up in Ghana. Are u a registered member?
Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by iamord(m): 2:05pm On May 18, 2015
lezz:
never take such links seriously. what iamord and co lack is simple basic education.

china is 1 billion plus so she always have her fair share of poor people as well as rich people .

same way USA is 300 million and has moor poor people than Norway !!! now US is not only infinitely greater than Norway but is home to the world's greatest billionaires by number.

Nigeria is home to africa's number of billionaires and millionaires, she also have fair number of poor people as well.

it is the reason Nigeria is Africa's top direct investment destination centre and Africa's top candidate for permanent seat at the UN security council.

we are Ghana's boss. Kofi, their illustrious son cannot be wrong.
Mr man when we talk education single me out out cos my education background is far from basic. Something your parents cannot even afford. Even if they rally around to put you in. You are too block head to make it through.

1 Like

Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by iamord(m): 2:12pm On May 18, 2015
ddami:
Akon
Amber rose
Kim k
Sean Kingston (regular)
Chris Tucker
madam am disappointed in your talk seriously. When rock road comes to Nigeria and does a show at eko hotel. I ask what is the capacity of the hall??how do the attendants reflect Nigerias middle and upper income status. ? The average man is not the man in a range living in lekki or magodo. But the man hustling in the streets. And I can tell you. Alot of them I level live on less than a dollar. Even the ones that make up to a dollar or more. What is there to show for. When you will buy fuel. And pay unnecessary tariffs. U need a Lear definition of prosperity.

1 Like

Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by achimotan(m): 2:19pm On May 18, 2015
iamord:
haha. Thank you. It's a small world. Alot of development coming up in Ghana. Are u a registered
member?

yes i am.I wanted to use the username achimotan but apparently it had been taken so i used kaneshie.I once posted about the Rhombus building close to the flag staff house. I think its about 80% nearing completion now
Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by iamord(m): 2:29pm On May 18, 2015
achimotan:

yes i am.I wanted to use the username achimotan but apparently it had been taken so i used kaneshie.I once posted about the Rhombus building close to the flag staff house. I think its about 80% nearing completion now
oh. I know about the project. I like the place so it's filled with matured minds. Did you see the stupid talk lezz brought up about Nigeria controlling 5, percent of Ghana real Estate industry. ?? Can u just Okay in! Even the Nigerians on skyscraper city will never say such. It beats me that with all his long Grammar and show of intellectual ability he cannot see this ' Davis hinted that demand for the 18-unit
Ambassador Heights has been quite
encouraging with Nigerians securing 50
percent of buyer-interest in the 21st century
development located in Ghana’s most
coveted location, placing them ahead of
local investors who share the remaining 50
percent with foreign clients' how did 50% buyer stake result into controlling Ghana real Estate industry. You know am on skyscraper city. So u know I am well grounded in this. It's pathetic to see someone talk so cheap

1 Like

Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by achimotan(m): 2:50pm On May 18, 2015
iamord:
oh. I know about the project. I like the place so it's filled with matured minds. Did you see the stupid talk lezz brought up about Nigeria controlling 5, percent of Ghana real Estate industry. ?? Can u just Okay in! Even the Nigerians on skyscraper city will never say such. It beats me that with all his long Grammar and show of intellectual ability he cannot see this ' Davis hinted that demand for the 18-unit
Ambassador Heights has been quite
encouraging with Nigerians securing 50
percent of buyer-interest in the 21st century
development located in Ghana’s most
coveted location, placing them ahead of
local investors who share the remaining 50
percent with foreign clients' how did 50% buyer stake result into controlling Ghana real Estate industry. You know am on skyscraper city. So u know I am well grounded in this. It's pathetic to see someone talk so cheap

I saw it and i was amused .50% i was like wtf cos i know Devtraco,Regimanuel,Manet,Rehoboth,UT Properties and several others are all Ghanaian companies in the real estate sector.When it comes to the big ones also, it is SSNIT who owns them like the premier towers,trust towers,heritage towers,ridge towers and the rest.
Even South Africans who a lot of Ghanaian investors have teamed up resulting in the construction of the West hills mall,Achimota mall and the Garden city mall in kumasi would not make the fallacious statements that were being made by Lezz and co

1 Like

Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by Nobody: 2:51pm On May 18, 2015
iamord:
madam am disappointed in your talk seriously. When rock road comes to Nigeria and does a show at eko hotel. I ask what is the capacity of the hall??how do the attendants reflect Nigerias middle and upper income status. ? The average man is not the man in a range living in lekki or magodo. But the man hustling in the streets. And I can tell you. Alot of them I level live on less than a dollar. Even the ones that make up to a dollar or more. What is there to show for. When you will buy fuel. And pay unnecessary tariffs. U need a Lear definition of prosperity.
Mr am so disappointed in ur talk seriously......... y on earth do u think shows @ eko hotel ve ticket price of
VVIP/table for 5--#1million
VIP-#50000
Regular--#5000. z it not 4 d middle class

yesterday u told me u boarded a public transport 4rm ikeja-yaba ,how much did u pay?#150-#200 N.B $1=#190...and u tell me an average Nigerian LIVES on less..are u kidding me....d@ area z mainland and d middle class resides dere.......here NOTHING z giving 2 u on credit..u pay 4 everything u want...if average lives on less $1....then d poor should be living on sand/leaves.......all dose coy here shey dey collect paper in xchange 4 deir goods.......dis z simple logical reasoning .prove 2 me d@ gh education z better Dan nig.
Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by lezz(m): 2:52pm On May 18, 2015
JiggamanGh:

Yet you still can't feed your people. 60% of your people. 102 million nigerians can't feed themselves. You are only in that mint group because of your Pop which you can't feed.

ENVY ENVY ENVY!!! MINT is not by population. it is by economic size and growth. here read up :

In 2001 the world began talking about the Bric
countries - Brazil, Russia, India and China - as
potential powerhouses of the world economy. The
term was coined by economist Jim O'Neill, who
has now identified the "Mint" countries - Mexico,
Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey - as emerging
economic giants. Here he explains why.
So what is it about the so-called Mint countries
that makes them so special? Why these four
countries?
A friend who has followed the Bric story noted
sardonically that they are probably "fresher" than
the Brics. What they really share beyond having a
lot of people, is that at least for the next 20 years,
they have really good "inner" demographics - they
are all going to see a rise in the number of people
eligible to work relative to those not working.
This is the envy of many developed countries but
also two of the Bric countries, China and Russia.
So, if Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey get
their act together, some of them could match
Chinese-style double-digit rates between 2003 and
Something else three of them share, which
Mexican Foreign Minister Jose Antonio Meade
Kuribrena pointed out to me, is that they all have
geographical positions that should be an
advantage as patterns of world trade change.
For example, Mexico is next door to the US, but
also Latin America. Indonesia is in the heart of
South-east Asia but also has deep connections
with China.
And as we all know, Turkey is in both the West
and East. Nigeria is not really similar in this regard
for now, partly because of Africa's lack of
development, but it could be in the future if African
countries stop fighting and trade with each other.
This might in fact be the basis for the Mint
countries developing their own economic-political
club just as the Bric countries did - one of the
biggest surprises of the whole Bric thing for me. I
can smell the possibility of a Mint club already.
What I also realised after talking to Meade
Kuribrena, is that the creation of the Mint acronym
could spur pressure for Nigeria to become a
member of the G20, as the other Mints already are.
This was something the charismatic Nigerian
finance minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala was keen to
talk about: "We know our time will come," she
said. "We think they are missing something by not
having us."
Meade Kuribrena went so far as to suggest that, as
a group of four countries, the Mints have more in
common than the Brics. I am not sure about that,
but it is an interesting idea.
Economically three of them - Mexico, Indonesia
and Nigeria - are commodity producers and only
Turkey isn't. This contrasts with the Bric countries
where two - Brazil and Russia - are commodity
producers and the other two - China and India -
aren't.
In terms of wealth, Mexico and Turkey are at about
the same level, earning annually about $10,000
(£6,100) per head. This compares with $3,500
(£2,100) per head in Indonesia and $1,500 (£900)
per head in Nigeria, which is on a par with India.
They are a bit behind Russia - $14,000 (£8,500)
per head - and Brazil on $11,300 (£6,800), but still
a bit ahead of China - $6,000 (£3,600).
A big question that guided my thinking on visits to
these countries for the BBC was - "How do these
countries actually feel on the ground, compared to
my own expectations and the general consensus of
opinion?"
When expectations are low - as one might
generally say about Nigeria for example (although
not in recent years among specialist investors in
Africa) - it is easier to be positively surprised.
But the opposite is also true - and this could be a
problem for Mexico, which financial investors are
really quite excited about.
Mexico owes much of its rising wealth to the oil
which it sits on, especially offshore oil
I returned from my travels thinking it won't be so
difficult for Nigeria and Turkey to positively
surprise people, as many put far too much weight
on the negative issues that are well-known - crime
and corruption in Nigeria, for example, or heavy-
handed government in Turkey.
Indonesia, I am less sure about. The country's
challenges are as big as I thought and I didn't hear
too many things that made me go "Wow" in terms
of trying to deal with them. The country needs
more of a sense of commercial purpose beyond
commodities, and has to improve its
infrastructure.
In Turkey, visits to white goods manufacturer Beko
and Turkish Airlines, the world's fastest growing
airline, definitely made me go "Wow", and in
Nigeria, I was saying it all the time.
Turkish Airlines: The world's fastest-growing
airline
The creativity in that place is so easy to get
enthused about, at least it was for me, and I
returned full of excitement about different personal
investments I might follow up on.
In Mexico I was all set to be disappointed, as
expectations are so high, but the young president
and his equally young colleagues are full of
determination to change the place.
If you thought Maggie Thatcher stood for serious
reforms, these guys make her seem like a kitten.
They are reforming everything from education,
energy and fiscal policy to the institution of
government itself.
What about all the challenges and things that
usually scare people? Well corruption is obviously
one topic that all four would seem to share, and I
had many interesting discussions about it in each
country.
In Nigeria, Central Bank Governor Lamido Sanusi
argued that corruption rarely prevents economic
development - and that the growth of the economy,
accompanied by improvements in education, will
lead to better governance and greater
transparency.
Such views are important to listen to, as an
alternative to our often simplistic Western way of
thinking. For many credible people in the Mint
countries, corruption is a consequence of their
weak past, not a cause of a weak future, and
certainly not the number one challenge. It falls way
down a list compared with the costs of energy and
the breadth of its availability and, of course,
infrastructure.
Generators are much in demand in Lagos
Sorting out energy policy was seen in both Mexico
and Nigeria as a top priority and each country has
launched a major initiatives this year, which if
implemented, will accelerate growth rates
significantly.
Here is an amazing statistic. About 170 million
people in Nigeria share about the same amount of
power that is used by about 1.5 million people in
the UK. Almost every business has to generate its
own power. The costs are enormous.
"Can you imagine, can you believe, that this
country has been growing at 7% with no power,
with zero power? It's a joke." says Africa's richest
man, Aliko Dangote.
He's right. I reckon Nigeria could grow at 10-12%
by sorting out this problem alone. That would
double the size of its economy in six or seven
years.
In Indonesia, the fourth largest country in the
world, I would say leadership and infrastructure are
the major challenges, though there are many more
too. But challenges and opportunities sit side by
side.
In one of Jakarta's slum areas, Pluit, the land is
sinking by 20cm per year because of over-
extraction of water, but property prices elsewhere
in the city are rocketing.
I talked to a man building the country's first Ikea
store, who reckons a third of greater Jakarta's
population of 28 million (the third biggest
conurbation in the world) would have sufficient
disposable income to shop at his store. As he
said: "We just know it's going to work."
In Turkey of course, its politics and the
combination of a Muslim faith with some kind of
desire to do things the Western way is a unique
sort of challenge. Some might argue the same
challenge exists for Indonesia but I returned
thinking this was not the case. In Jakarta at least,
the Western way of doing things seems to be
generally accepted - in striking contrast with
Turkey.
So can the Mints join the top 10 largest economies
in the world, after the US, China, the rest of the
Brics and maybe Japan?
I think so, though it may take 30 years.
I look forward to going back to each of them more
regularly now I am helping to put them on the
map, just as happened with the Bric countries 12
years ago.
Listen to the first episode of MINT: The Next
Economic Giants on BBC Radio 4 on Monday 6
January from 09:00 GMT, or afterwards on iPlayer.
Follow @BBCNewsMagazine on Twitter and on

1 Like

Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by Nobody: 3:29pm On May 18, 2015
lezz:
ENVY ENVY ENVY!!! MINT is not by population. it is by economic size and growth. here read up :

In 2001 the world began talking about the Bric
countries - Brazil, Russia, India and China - as
potential powerhouses of the world economy. The
term was coined by economist Jim O'Neill, who
has now identified the "Mint" countries - Mexico,
Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey - as emerging
economic giants. Here he explains why.
So what is it about the so-called Mint countries
that makes them so special? Why these four
countries?
A friend who has followed the Bric story noted
sardonically that they are probably "fresher" than
the Brics. What they really share beyond having a
lot of people, is that at least for the next 20 years,
they have really good "inner" demographics - they
are all going to see a rise in the number of people
eligible to work relative to those not working.
This is the envy of many developed countries but
also two of the Bric countries, China and Russia.
So, if Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey get
their act together, some of them could match
Chinese-style double-digit rates between 2003 and
Something else three of them share, which
Mexican Foreign Minister Jose Antonio Meade
Kuribrena pointed out to me, is that they all have
geographical positions that should be an
advantage as patterns of world trade change.
For example, Mexico is next door to the US, but
also Latin America. Indonesia is in the heart of
South-east Asia but also has deep connections
with China.
And as we all know, Turkey is in both the West
and East. Nigeria is not really similar in this regard
for now, partly because of Africa's lack of
development, but it could be in the future if African
countries stop fighting and trade with each other.
This might in fact be the basis for the Mint
countries developing their own economic-political
club just as the Bric countries did - one of the
biggest surprises of the whole Bric thing for me. I
can smell the possibility of a Mint club already.
What I also realised after talking to Meade
Kuribrena, is that the creation of the Mint acronym
could spur pressure for Nigeria to become a
member of the G20, as the other Mints already are.
This was something the charismatic Nigerian
finance minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala was keen to
talk about: "We know our time will come," she
said. "We think they are missing something by not
having us."
Meade Kuribrena went so far as to suggest that, as
a group of four countries, the Mints have more in
common than the Brics. I am not sure about that,
but it is an interesting idea.
Economically three of them - Mexico, Indonesia
and Nigeria - are commodity producers and only
Turkey isn't. This contrasts with the Bric countries
where two - Brazil and Russia - are commodity
producers and the other two - China and India -
aren't.
In terms of wealth, Mexico and Turkey are at about
the same level, earning annually about $10,000
(£6,100) per head. This compares with $3,500
(£2,100) per head in Indonesia and $1,500 (£900)
per head in Nigeria, which is on a par with India.
They are a bit behind Russia - $14,000 (£8,500)
per head - and Brazil on $11,300 (£6,800), but still
a bit ahead of China - $6,000 (£3,600).
A big question that guided my thinking on visits to
these countries for the BBC was - "How do these
countries actually feel on the ground, compared to
my own expectations and the general consensus of
opinion?"
When expectations are low - as one might
generally say about Nigeria for example (although
not in recent years among specialist investors in
Africa) - it is easier to be positively surprised.
But the opposite is also true - and this could be a
problem for Mexico, which financial investors are
really quite excited about.
Mexico owes much of its rising wealth to the oil
which it sits on, especially offshore oil
I returned from my travels thinking it won't be so
difficult for Nigeria and Turkey to positively
surprise people, as many put far too much weight
on the negative issues that are well-known - crime
and corruption in Nigeria, for example, or heavy-
handed government in Turkey.
Indonesia, I am less sure about. The country's
challenges are as big as I thought and I didn't hear
too many things that made me go "Wow" in terms
of trying to deal with them. The country needs
more of a sense of commercial purpose beyond
commodities, and has to improve its
infrastructure.
In Turkey, visits to white goods manufacturer Beko
and Turkish Airlines, the world's fastest growing
airline, definitely made me go "Wow", and in
Nigeria, I was saying it all the time.
Turkish Airlines: The world's fastest-growing
airline
The creativity in that place is so easy to get
enthused about, at least it was for me, and I
returned full of excitement about different personal
investments I might follow up on.
In Mexico I was all set to be disappointed, as
expectations are so high, but the young president
and his equally young colleagues are full of
determination to change the place.
If you thought Maggie Thatcher stood for serious
reforms, these guys make her seem like a kitten.
They are reforming everything from education,
energy and fiscal policy to the institution of
government itself.
What about all the challenges and things that
usually scare people? Well corruption is obviously
one topic that all four would seem to share, and I
had many interesting discussions about it in each
country.
In Nigeria, Central Bank Governor Lamido Sanusi
argued that corruption rarely prevents economic
development - and that the growth of the economy,
accompanied by improvements in education, will
lead to better governance and greater
transparency.
Such views are important to listen to, as an
alternative to our often simplistic Western way of
thinking. For many credible people in the Mint
countries, corruption is a consequence of their
weak past, not a cause of a weak future, and
certainly not the number one challenge. It falls way
down a list compared with the costs of energy and
the breadth of its availability and, of course,
infrastructure.
Generators are much in demand in Lagos
Sorting out energy policy was seen in both Mexico
and Nigeria as a top priority and each country has
launched a major initiatives this year, which if
implemented, will accelerate growth rates
significantly.
Here is an amazing statistic. About 170 million
people in Nigeria share about the same amount of
power that is used by about 1.5 million people in
the UK. Almost every business has to generate its
own power. The costs are enormous.
"Can you imagine, can you believe, that this
country has been growing at 7% with no power,
with zero power? It's a joke." says Africa's richest
man, Aliko Dangote.
He's right. I reckon Nigeria could grow at 10-12%
by sorting out this problem alone. That would
double the size of its economy in six or seven
years.
In Indonesia, the fourth largest country in the
world, I would say leadership and infrastructure are
the major challenges, though there are many more
too. But challenges and opportunities sit side by
side.
In one of Jakarta's slum areas, Pluit, the land is
sinking by 20cm per year because of over-
extraction of water, but property prices elsewhere
in the city are rocketing.
I talked to a man building the country's first Ikea
store, who reckons a third of greater Jakarta's
population of 28 million (the third biggest
conurbation in the world) would have sufficient
disposable income to shop at his store. As he
said: "We just know it's going to work."
In Turkey of course, its politics and the
combination of a Muslim faith with some kind of
desire to do things the Western way is a unique
sort of challenge. Some might argue the same
challenge exists for Indonesia but I returned
thinking this was not the case. In Jakarta at least,
the Western way of doing things seems to be
generally accepted - in striking contrast with
Turkey.
So can the Mints join the top 10 largest economies
in the world, after the US, China, the rest of the
Brics and maybe Japan?
I think so, though it may take 30 years.
I look forward to going back to each of them more
regularly now I am helping to put them on the
map, just as happened with the Bric countries 12
years ago.
Listen to the first episode of MINT: The Next
Economic Giants on BBC Radio 4 on Monday 6
January from 09:00 GMT, or afterwards on iPlayer.
Follow @BBCNewsMagazine on Twitter and on
damn s9me badaßß lecture here

1 Like

Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by lezz(m): 3:31pm On May 18, 2015
iamord:
Mr man when we talk education single me out out cos my education background is far from basic. Something your parents cannot even afford. Even if they rally around to put you in. You are too block head to make it through.
iamord, there has been a lot of lows in the course of debates on this thread, but nothing as low and as cheap as unwarranted parental jibes and jeers. this is a record low and a disturbing indication of something dark, lurking deep within you.

here is an anonymous internet forum and hiding behind your keyboard and screen you could be Kofi Annan's cousin or Dangote's neighbour. and it's OK with me.

What isn't OK is having an emotional diarrhea and anger leakages in the course a debate and descending to parental confrontations.

please, do not tell me i have been conversing with a preadolescent lucky enough to own a mobile phone with an internet connection.

i hope i am wrong.

2 Likes

Re: This Ghanaian Just Finished Nigeria On Instagram by Nobody: 3:37pm On May 18, 2015
lezz:
iamord, there has been a lot of lows in the course of debates on this thread, but nothing as low and as cheap as unwarranted parental jibes and jeers. this is a record low and a disturbing indication of something dark, lurking deep within you.

here is an anonymous internet forum and hiding behind your keyboard and screen you could be Kofi Annan's cousin or Dangote's neighbour. and it's OK with me.

What isn't OK is having an emotional diarrhea and anger leakages in the course a debate and descending to parental confrontations.

please, do not tell me i have been conversing with a preadolescent wealthy enough to own a mobile phone with an internet connection.

i hope i am wrong.

YE PA @lezz u are wicked aaawwww *in mama piss voice * dere z god oooo *sobbing *

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (37) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS: Bomb Blast In Abuja. / Meet Femi Fani-Kayode's 5 Girlfriends, To Marry One As 5th Wife - Kemi Olunloyo / Nigeria: Senate Screens Buhari’s Ministers (day 2) – LIVE UPDATES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.