Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,281 members, 7,839,386 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:13 PM

BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. (30966 Views)

FG Copying Lagos’ Template To Revive Economy –adeosun / Power Crisis: Nigeria Lacks Gas To Generate 7,000MW —osinbajo / We’ll Kill Corruption, Solve Power Problem – Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Imokay: 2:24pm On May 15, 2015
jpphilips:

Do you know how much it cost to do 5km standard grid that can carry 20,000MW of electricity, can you guess?
we dont need a national grid at this stage, development is one at a time, it is cheaper for ikeja GENCO to construct a 5,000MW grid over 30km to cover Ikeja alone than doing 20,000MW round the country, bros this matter na common sense naa!!
He already knows that Ikeja will never exceed 5,000MW in the next decade!!

Oga you took my statements out of context, The fastest way to get power to the people is micro-stations of 10 - 50 MW to be connected to gas pipeline later when they are completed. The grid will only be used to either receive or send power when their is a need or excess in local capacity. The national grid will still useful as it is to serve areas yet to have completed local power plants, albeit it needs to be expanded with proper framework and long term plan.
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by TonySpike: 2:49pm On May 15, 2015
jpphilips:

Bitumen grin

Yeah, Bitumen is a source of fuel to drive turbines. Need I say more?
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by jpphilips(m): 3:26pm On May 15, 2015
TonySpike:

Yeah, Bitumen is a source of fuel to drive turbines. Need I say more?

yea and someone found it as a deposit, do you rem where?? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by jpphilips(m): 3:27pm On May 15, 2015
Imokay:

Oga you took my statements out of context, The fastest way to get power to the people is micro-stations of 10 - 50 MW to be connected to gas pipeline later when they are completed. The grid will only be used to either receive or send power when their is a need or excess in local capacity. The national grid will still useful as it is to serve areas yet to have completed local power plants, albeit it needs to be expanded with proper framework and long term plan.

It doesnt matter what the grid will be used for, Nigeria cannot afford it, now move on!!
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by gists: 4:23pm On May 15, 2015
I think the message has been passed and its now clear/understood.
We NEED the grid. But for now, we have to focus more on local generation in order to decentralize power generation due to the cost and time required to upgrade the national grid to a level that will effectively serve its purpose. Its like someone who is hungry and instead of walking to the nearest buka, he decides to start planting yam grin grin Granted, the cost of eating in the buka maybe a bit more than cooking at home, he certainly would have been long dead by the time the yam is ready to be harvested.
I hope the new people coming to Aso-Rock are reading.

I laughed when I read the idea of transporting gas to power plant in cylinders. Not impossible though, but who has time and resources for that logistical nightmare?
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Imokay: 9:22pm On May 15, 2015
gists:
I think the message has been passed and its now clear/understood.
We NEED the grid. But for now, we have to focus more on local generation in order to decentralize power generation due to the cost and time required to upgrade the national grid to a level that will effectively serve its purpose. Its like someone who is hungry and instead of walking to the nearest buka, he decides to start planting yam grin grin Granted, the cost of eating in the buka maybe a bit more than cooking at home, he certainly would have been long dead by the time the yam is ready to be harvested.
I hope the new people coming to Aso-Rock are reading.

I laughed when I read the idea of transporting gas to power plant in cylinders. Not impossible though, but who has time and resources for that logistical nightmare?

What is the problem with compressing gas in cylinder? you can do the compression and by the second day the gas is available for use in Sokoto, estimate how long it will take to extend gas pipeline from escravos to Sokoto and justify keeping the people without power for that number of years and enormous cost. Remember pipeline cost is over $1 million per kilometer and Sokoto is over 1200 Km from Escravos

With $10 Million you can establish CNG facilities and several trucks to service the whole NW micro power plants all within 6 months and such 10 - 20 MW plants can be constructed in 7 - 9 months
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by gists: 10:36pm On May 15, 2015
Imokay:

What is the problem with compressing gas in cylinder? you can do the compression and by the second day the gas is available for use in Sokoto, estimate how long it will take to extend gas pipeline from escravos to Sokoto and justify keeping the people without power for that number of years and enormous cost. Remember pipeline cost is over $1 million per kilometer and Sokoto is over 1200 Km from Escravos

With $10 Million you can establish CNG facilities and several trucks to service the whole NW micro power plants all within 6 months and such 10 - 20 MW plants can be constructed in 7 - 9 months
Just a few questions:
1) How many bottles/cylinders can you transport to sokoto in a day?
2) How many bottles/cylinders will the turbine gulp per hour? How many are needed per day/month/year
3) Have you considered the possible cost of road transport? Don't tell me we have to wait for better rail network as that is also time consuming and very costly.
4) Must the gas line start from escravos? Must all gas line start from the source? What about those junction/distribution points along the route to Lagos and West Africa
5) Is it a must that everybody must use gas? Are there no other form of energy that can be transformed to electricity?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Fighter Jets Bomb Bokoharam Terrorist Location In Sambissa / Osun: Adeleke Speaks On Inconclusive Election / Kidnapped Kagara Students And Teachers Released

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.