Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,319 members, 7,839,522 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. (30968 Views)

FG Copying Lagos’ Template To Revive Economy –adeosun / Power Crisis: Nigeria Lacks Gas To Generate 7,000MW —osinbajo / We’ll Kill Corruption, Solve Power Problem – Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by EMANY01(m): 10:44am On May 12, 2015
Mynd44:

Just because it has not be done mean it should not be done?

Right.....you apc folks are so smart you will basically write the book in the field of micro power generation and distribution in no less a place that in developing africa.
The more I think about it I have visions of a nobel price of some such award going to the buhari government for inovation in power infrastructure development in developing countries.

My now obviously inadequate education in engineering lead me to believe that in a hundred and thirty years of reserch , development,management experience and inovation in the field of electrical power generation,transmission and distribution, there is a valid reason that the disteibuted power infrastructure models have be only cousarily examined and discarded repeatedly.

The laws of physics not to mention economics will slap the fantasy illusions from your eyes soon enough all the propagandar defence in the world will not even come close to being enough.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Nobody: 10:52am On May 12, 2015
How did akwa ibom and Niger states come about their own power,i hear they have steady light in those states,or did they also invest in the microgrid?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by bionixs: 10:53am On May 12, 2015
bogolobango:
Ile yoruba oni baje oo
eko oni baje

I knw some mofos will come nd quote me try it make ogun punish u yeye lagoon people

Proudly yoruba
loquacious tribe! Even the madmen are proudly MAD!
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by ibisko04: 10:56am On May 12, 2015
vanunu:

Can u give an example of just one country that produces electricity in bits
?
Many countries that you will not have in mind generates power bit by bit. Almighty U S A generates power bit by bit where necessary.
Kuwait, U A E, Libya before the civil unrest,

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by anonimi: 10:56am On May 12, 2015
Volksfuhrer:
This is obvious enough. Yet PDP didn't see this for 16 years.

In any case, I never believed PDP ever had any genuine intention of solving the power problem.

Please do you know the man in the picture with our freshly minted messiah? grin
I understand he spent $16 billion for eight years (1999-2007) to produce more BLACKOUT embarassed

Why is it so easy to ALLOW ourselves be taken for stewpid FOOOLS by these Looters in Power (LiPs)
Why?
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Anyi3(m): 10:57am On May 12, 2015
aresa:
Our power problem was compounded when OBJ derailed Lagos state's Enron project back in 2001, just imagine Lagos and Nigeria today with many IPPs all over Lagos state and replication all over Nigeria...

What a shame....

Thank God the same Lagos state is leading the way again with better strategies...

But ENRON na fake company na
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Bayswater: 10:57am On May 12, 2015
aresa:

I don't see us getting uninterrupted power supply at the end of his first 4 years, but I'm sure we'll see aggressive efforts, remarkable improvement and the light at the end of the turnell.

Wow, double speak but you expected GEJ to fix it in 4 years. Oniyeye.

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by TonySpike: 11:02am On May 12, 2015
EMANY01:

Right.....you apc folks are so smart you will basically write the book in the field of micro power generation and distribution in no less a place that in developing africa.
The more I think about it I have visions of a nobel price of some such award going to the buhari government for inovation in power infrastructure development in developing countries.

My now obviously inadequate education in engineering lead me to believe that in a hundred and thirty years of reserch , development,management experience and inovation in the field of electrical power generation,transmission and distribution, there is a valid reason that the disteibuted power infrastructure models have be only cousarily examined and discarded repeatedly.

The laws of physics not to mention economics will slap the fantasy illusions from your eyes soon enough all the propagandar defence in the world will not even come close to being enough.

Bro, can you please break down your opinion(s)? It looks so garbled.

3 Likes

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by caprini1: 11:06am On May 12, 2015
teeowl:

It cost 3 - 5 million naira for a fully functional solar power sytem for a bungalow. so many nigerians cant afford that.
Mine is just 400k and carries my tv ,decoder,home theatre ,3 rechargeable fans and all the energy saving bulbs in my house....I use PHCN (when I see them) and Generator for my fridge and other bigger appliances....I installed it,basically not to pay multichoice and still buy fuel to watch my football.

2 Likes

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by misreal(m): 11:07am On May 12, 2015
Mynd44:
This has been what Osinbajo has been proposing all these while. To be honest, we Nigerians don't really know the exact issue with power generation and the National grid.

If Nigeria generates anything more that 7,500MW and feeds it to the grid, everything is going to come down as our distribution lines cannot take that much power. We don't not have the facilities so building huge power plants is not the way.

What we can do is to generate the power in bits. As Osinbajo have said, generate power when it will be consumed so we don't spend too much time and money on distribution. Each Local government or LCDA depending on the consumption. Perhaps even a locality can come together to have a 10MW plant for that area and they are good to go.

To keep building huge plants and hoping to connect then to the grid is a waste that has proven to be the way not to go.

With this bit by bit module, each locality can look at what they have and use it to generate power, gas in most places, some can use renewable power especially in the North where there are huge opportunities for wind and solar power.

In the south, I will like to see a Badagry power plant Ltd. that wants to harness the Atlantic ocean through tidal power. At least the beaches there have not been tamed like the ones on Lagos Island so it is possible.

These bit by bit generation will culminate into something tangible but first we need legislation for it to work as right now, the power generation laws state that if you generate anything greater than 1mw, you have to connect to the grid. This is where policy, plans, entrepreneurship and dedication combination will come into play
u get sense bros.which school u go,make I send my pikin go there too.

2 Likes

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Waspy(m): 11:10am On May 12, 2015
This automatically qualifies BRF as the incoming Min. of Power.

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by lexxwiz(m): 11:11am On May 12, 2015
I didnt vote Buhari and Osibanjo for nothing... I believe in them, I invested my vote.. All I want is to see is progress and stability of this economy... Basic infrastructure!! My prayers are with you guys.. I'm Igbo and proud.. All I really want is to see that my unborn kids don't suffer/go through what I suffered in this country.. Oh yea, as for the 1st grade trabalistic folks in here, The Lord shall surely touch you someday... Amen!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by OkutaNla: 11:13am On May 12, 2015
anonimi:

Does Lagos have 24/7 electricity

After 15 years since the ENRON Barge scam deal and super-sized generators fraudulently called IPPs and budget increase from N48 billion in 2000 to almost N500 billion in 2015.

These APC people really take us for FOOLS angry

Your bad-belle no allow you see the part where aresa stated that OBJ derailed Tinubu's original idea. You people seem to think that everybody else is as clueless as your PDP when it comes to solving this power problem. Smh.

2 Likes

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Reference(m): 11:15am On May 12, 2015
Mynd44:
This has been what Osinbajo has been proposing all these while. To be honest, we Nigerians don't really know the exact issue with power generation and the National grid.

If Nigeria generates anything more that 7,500MW and feeds it to the grid, everything is going to come down as our distribution lines cannot take that much power. We don't not have the facilities so building huge power plants is not the way.

What we can do is to generate the power in bits. As Osinbajo have said, generate power when it will be consumed so we don't spend too much time and money on distribution. Each Local government or LCDA depending on the consumption. Perhaps even a locality can come together to have a 10MW plant for that area and they are good to go.

To keep building huge plants and hoping to connect then to the grid is a waste that has proven to be the way not to go.

With this bit by bit module, each locality can look at what they have and use it to generate power, gas in most places, some can use renewable power especially in the North where there are huge opportunities for wind and solar power.

In the south, I will like to see a Badagry power plant Ltd. that wants to harness the Atlantic ocean through tidal power. At least the beaches there have not been tamed like the ones on Lagos Island so it is possible.

These bit by bit generation will culminate into something tangible but first we need legislation for it to work as right now, the power generation laws state that if you generate anything greater than 1mw, you have to connect to the grid. This is where policy, plans, entrepreneurship and dedication combination will come into play

But what will power these numerous plants: fuel or gas. Fuel means a cobweb of pipelines, the eldorado of vandals, if it is gas then the risk around residential areas is better imagined. Trucking means gridlock and inefficiency especially when a plant may be drinking a truck an hour. There is a reason modern economies scale up. Efficiency rises with scale. How ever I agree that we can't start seeking efficiency.

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Mynd44: 11:18am On May 12, 2015
Reference:

But what will power these numerous plants: fuel or gas. Fuel means a cobweb of pipelines, the eldorado of vandals, if it is gas then the risk around residential areas is better imagined. Trucking means gridlock and inefficiency especially when a plant may be drinking a truck an hour. There is a reason modern economies scale up. Efficiency rises with scale. How ever I agree that we can't start seeking efficiency.
Good question.
As of today, Nigeria depends on imported petroleum products right? How does those products get to the hinterland from the ports on the coast?
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by TonySpike: 11:19am On May 12, 2015
To those people emphasizing on a central power control system for grids, I would like to state my own opinion on grids as a researcher. I seriously think grids are more useful when issues of power harmonisation, frequency synchronisation, power accounting and large-scale power transference are involved. Grids cannot be fully harnessed when we even generating less than 10% of our supposed output in Nigeria (about 4000 MW). I think Nigeria needs about 50,000 MW or more for full-scale industrialization. Power stations are like small vector nodes on the grid, and the unavailability (and instability) of sufficient nodes imply lesser options at controlling our national power. Nigeria must build more and more generating stations to make a real grid system worthwhile and I believe the modular power concept will come in handy here. Lastly, I don't support a single power control centre as we currently have in Nigeria for security reasons. God forbid an enemy state launching a missile at our control centre or even a natural disaster levelling this centre, what will happen? A best case scenario will completely knock-off power supplies to at least 60% of Nigerian cities and towns on the grid. I think the overall layout of our grid system in Nigeria should be hybridized along with the modular power approach, this way redundancy is integrated.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by cut007: 11:22am On May 12, 2015
Sincere9gerian:
So they'r'e still "eyeing"? I thought they said they had a plan already? I thought they said they had it all figured out already?

Only God knows how long it will take them to complete this "eyeing" phase. I hope we're not in for a 4-year "eyeing" govt?

Na wa for this one chance party led by one chance general with his "eyeing" lieutenants.
Looooooooooooooooooooool!!! Can't help but to agree with u sha!
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by ibisko04: 11:25am On May 12, 2015
EMANY01:

Do you want to take the dreamers on? Do not question them if you know what is good for you.
I am waiting to see the magic of their power generation plans materializing as evidently they will be "reinventing" the established models of building power generating stations world wide.

https://www.nairaland.com/2306421/how-buhari-solve-naijas-power
Simply because you are of the mind that it is not possible thus not means it is not possible..
You wait and see what happens in the power sector soon.
National grids is becoming more of burden than solution to our power problems . Power generation bit by bit is the way to go.
Let power be generated and be distributed bit by bit according to the needs of every locality.

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by cut007: 11:30am On May 12, 2015
vanunu:
The grid system is simply the best, that is why it is used through out the whole world, it is cheaper, and when one power plant is undergoing maintenance, consumers will not even notice it . I remember what bayelsa state use to surfer in those days when they were not connected to the national grid.

Upon all the noise that the lagos have been making for 16yrs, they have only been able
To generate only 64mw despite the fact that billions of naira have been spent.

This system they are proposing for buhari is very expensive and consumers will not be able to pay. The cost of laying gas pipline alone will consume billions of naira
Very simple. These people tire me!!!! Cowardice is indeed a disease. Its blinds you from logic and common sense!!!! U just swallow whatever rubbish that is shovelled down your throat!!! SMH for some people
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by LabiTalks: 11:30am On May 12, 2015
Mynd44:

God Bless you Brother. You spoke my mind. I hope they make this happen. Any problem, no matter how complex it is, will become easier to solve when it is broken down into smaller units, and simple solutions are applied to those unit. God Bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by drnoel: 11:41am On May 12, 2015
bogolobango:
Ile yoruba oni baje oo
eko oni baje

I knw some mofos will come nd quote me try it make ogun punish u yeye lagoon people

Proudly yoruba

Lagoon people shey? bogolobango U mean igbos ni?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by 989900: 11:41am On May 12, 2015
vanunu:

Can u give an example of just one country that produces electricity in bits?

The above question is ambiguous, what is your definition of 'bits'?
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by gists: 11:44am On May 12, 2015
Mynd44:

I agree with you only to the idea of decentralization. But going Bit-by-bit to as low as local government generation is wasteful, inefficient and unsustainable.

A number of companies here in Nigeria are already generating their own power from gas. Why IPPs continue to hide behind lack of gas supply is still untenable to me. The only conclusion I have made is that there is no political will or intent to solve the power problem. If the pdp led gov. had allowed Tinubu to go ahead wit the enron power project, other states would have replicated it and we won't be where we are today.

It is only when it comes to IPPs that gas becomes an issue. Gaslink (a subsidiary of oando) and others have partnered with Nigerian Gas Company (NGC) and have been delivering gas to private companies. Some of these private companies are using the gas to generate power. Here is a small list:

Rusal Industries, Ikot Abasi, Akwa Ibom State get gas from NGC (Nigerian Gas Company)
http://www.rusal.ru/en/about/51.aspx

Alausa power Limited get gas from GASLINK - commissioned in 2013
http://www.oandoplc.com/oando-gas-and-power/subsidiaries/alausa-power-limited/

Flourmills
http://www.fmnplc.com/home/about.php

Lafarge already generating about 90MW from gas is looking to more than tripple power generation
http://www.ventures-africa.com/archives/49321

Our transmission line cannot support our national power need. We need to decentralise (even if it is partial decentralization). My proposal is similar to that of Tinubu. It is about empowering DISCOs to generate a bit of the power required for their respective territories to augment what they get from the national grid.
We already have companies generation power from gas in this country, so nobody should ask me how will the discos get gas. The question should be how we will relax the law preventing them from generating limited amount of power.

3 Likes

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by MosquitoREBIRTH(m): 11:44am On May 12, 2015
anonimi:

Please do you know the man in the picture with our freshly minted messiah? grin
I understand he spent $16 billion for eight years (1999-2007) to produce more BLACKOUT embarassed

Why is it so easy to ALLOW ourselves be taken for stewpid FOOOLS by these Looters in Power (LiPs)
Why?
So because OBJ failed in the power sector, GMB should run away whenever he sees him? Smh...

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by MosquitoREBIRTH(m): 11:47am On May 12, 2015
Bayswater:

Wow, double speak but you expected GEJ to fix it in 4 years. Oniyeye.
Abeg, nobody expected him to fix it in 4 yrs. But he would have at least left us with our 4000MW instead of leaving us with a meagre 2800MW...
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by jobsat34(m): 11:50am On May 12, 2015
aresa:
Our power problem was compounded when OBJ derailed Lagos state's Enron project back in 2001, just imagine Lagos and Nigeria today with many IPPs all over Lagos state and replication all over Nigeria...

What a shame....

Thank God the same Lagos state is leading the way again with better strategies...

and some haters will start calling BAT names.... those gov that serve 8 years tenure during the same period are no longer relevant.. BAT is no longer in Govt but his "Manhood" grin Legacy lives on.. smiley

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by haul: 11:52am On May 12, 2015
Mynd44:

Of course the government is still going to invest in large generation but the present distribution cannot handle more than 7,500. The modular idea is a way to make sure we grow at a steady pace. Imagine if we can take places like Lagos, Kano, Rivers, Anambra and other power consumers off the grid. It leaves the other ones to be in the grid.

Mr mynd, you need to add that ogun state there after lagos oooooo! Have you forget that state house the highest number of industries in naija? From sango to agbara to mowe/ibafo to sagamu! Mehn if they can take the aforementioned state off,we heading to breakthrough.

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Ephemmm: 12:01pm On May 12, 2015
BlackTechnology:
Jesus Christ

So Buhari don't have a plan before

Chai

Yorubas don put Nigeria for wahala. grin

Buhari must change Nigeria in 4years cheesy

Another yaba left candidate on the loose!

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by BlackTechnology: 12:03pm On May 12, 2015
Mynd44:

Government does not need to subsidized, they need to remove importat duties on power generation materials completely. They should also try giving the companies that will be generating through the microgrid have tax holidays and other incentives.

State governments can reduce land costs and speed up land certificates etc. It is all about making the pot sweeter.

About the laws, currently, if you produce more than 1mw from one plant, you must feed it into the National grid. That has greatly affected Lagos in this policy and it needs to be scrapped and thrown into the waste bin.

Estates should be able to invest and generate their own power and use it for themselves alone but they should document it.
Production plants within an industrial area will come together to build a plant that suits their needs when they know they are not stopped by the 1MW limit and generate what they need.

This is a way to create jobs too and also a way to sell gas. Forget pipelines, just allow them build their own plants and I am sure they won't mind getting gas supplied through other means

You commented like a human being today cool
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by obongtunji: 12:05pm On May 12, 2015
Mynd44:

You make brain joor

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by tabolaji: 12:06pm On May 12, 2015
vanunu:

Can u give an example of just one country that produces electricity in bits?

Your question just further throw light on the problems this country has been facing over the years. Using other countries template to solve our peculiar problems. Not until our scientists and starts applying local approach in implementing globally template, we would be far from reaching the promise land. Just because no country has done it doesn't necessarily mean we can't explore it if it would work for us. Moreover, some countries that have more stable electricity is even going the route of microgrid to sustain it. Let's stop this 'copy cat' mentality abeg.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Senate Set To Suspend Ovie Omo-Agege Over Buhari Comment / Ganduje Bribery Video: Magu Confronted In London. See His Reaction / PDP Campaign Rally: Footage Of Thugs Harassing Road Users In Lagos Today Emerges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.