Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,652 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? (31985 Views)

If You Are Yoruba You Should Relate To This (pic) / Eid Ul Adha 2015 E-cards Greeting Cards Download Free / Are Yoruba Girls Dirty? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by precisionindepth: 7:34pm On May 15, 2015
haibe:

me too.. although I try as much as possible to greet when I can as it creates a friendly environment.. but its not possible every time
wat abt calling ur younger ones anty by fire by force b4 u wan marry dere brother
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by marggy(f): 7:34pm On May 15, 2015
Mtcheeeew dem too like yeye respect, if she grit u na crime? Abeg waka pass her jare.
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by gatiano(m): 7:34pm On May 15, 2015
xaxaxaxaxaxxaxaxax lol, Na yoruba confirm be that.

jhidey08:
u've not seen where someone wants to withdraw from d atm and a yoruba man passes by and greeted him: "eku ATM o" grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by kikelomojessy(f): 7:34pm On May 15, 2015
I have experience same tin, but my own turned out to be sour. I once had dis foster parent dat are yoruba, the the husband and wife, the greeting is okey, I neva had issues with it. But wen the wife mother came, chai, wahala started cos she said I must greet her everytime I pass by her, it even made me to hide wen I see her, she told her daughter that I dnt greet her and it was a big issue, I told her sowie and look for an excuse to leave.
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by oloyede252(m): 7:35pm On May 15, 2015
babyosisi:

A friend of mine did NYSC In Ibadan area
She told me how sickened she was of this greeting thing
The landlord mandated all the tenants to greet his old mother every blessed day
Imagine waking up in the morning in your hurry to rush out,you must first go and knock on mama's door and bow down and greet her before leaving.
If you fail and he sees you,he will remind you to go and greet her
Sometimes after the morning ones,you may be reminded to go and greet her in the evening
I had never heard a thing like that in my life
Maybe it's like oxygen to some
It's polite to greet people but you don't demand it
Maybe from small children to teach them proper manners but certainly not mandating adults to greet you not only that to seek you out and greet you
That's absurd
gud day ma,
the law of osisi states that

for every issue you must have a corresponding story(lie) to tell

I hail you,madam all rounder

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 7:35pm On May 15, 2015
gatiano:
Yes, it is reciprocal, you got that not from your culture. There is not relationship between greetings and respect. An elder can never be rude to you if you are not rude in the first place (like i said, you may greet with all your loud voice, and yet not greeting atall, the elder understands this).
In place like Africa, respect can save you a lot where a billion dollar won't.

what are u saying... anyone ca be rude to anyone.. elders in yoruba land mostly disrespect the youngers and are in a position to say u cant do anything. If u caution their actions , they say u are disrespecting again.

Sorry please read and comprehend my post again. I never said u shouldn't respect elders, I said respect is reciprocal. Elders should respect the younger once.

Even the bible teaches that parents should also respect their children and not provoke them to wrath but yoruba parents and elders do provoke younger once all because they are elders.. This is something that has to be done away with in our culture. And if u support this, wake up!! This is 21st century and people are not stiupid like b4

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by kernel504(m): 7:36pm On May 15, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You don't have to greet anybody if you don't want to.
My Yoruba brothers am happy with your approach with this question, against tagging it bigotry. Every tribe has some strange believes and culture, that defiles common sense.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by pneumaticos(m): 7:36pm On May 15, 2015
This greeting of a thing is the reason why the yoruba people are one of the most peaceful on earth,.....it more spiritual than most people think

Even the other tribes are beggining to copy it

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Seunpaul01(m): 7:36pm On May 15, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:
I am in kaduna right now.

In a government office where I work as a consultant

One thing I noticed is they love love their traditional cloths a lot. On Monday morning you see accountant putting on agbada.

That's the culture or way of life here. It will be wrong for me to go about complaining.

The best I can if I don't like it is leave kaduna

Op, no apologies that's yoruba culture. If you don't like it move to areas where you wouldn't need to great anyone angry

Abi o, ori e pe, oro loso. Wa gbayi.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by RobinHez(m): 7:37pm On May 15, 2015
amokeme:
That was how I told my Dad's younger brother "how are you sir" and the man took it P sad and reported me to my dad that I don't have respect
imagine!
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 7:37pm On May 15, 2015
precisionindepth:
wat abt calling ur younger ones anty by fire by force b4 u wan marry dere brother
haven't seen that happen
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by fabulouskeem(m): 7:38pm On May 15, 2015
Am proud of my yoruba culture...one special thing i loved about my culture is that we always train our children in overseas the importance of greetings/repect. We always retain that special culture of ours cool

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by menxer: 7:38pm On May 15, 2015
OP na wa to u ooo!
why are u complaining? the girl dey look for how to collabo with u, u dey form yoruba greeting too much, abeg park/pack well..

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Yello1(m): 7:39pm On May 15, 2015
kekakuz:
you don't have to link Yoruba to it.
yesterday in my office,an Igbo girl knelt down to collect money from ATM
I swears
ooooooboy dis one naa die oooo,can't just stop opening my bucal cavity.hahahahahahahahahahah
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 7:39pm On May 15, 2015
gatiano:
Which is why it was good to call out her attention. If a person is too deep in thought, It is a good way to ask "heeeey, are you still there".
I have greeted a lot of people that didn't answer/reply, in all cases, the reply is written on the facial expression. Some may even greet or reply without even greeting you atall.
u dont have to think the person is rude for not greeting u then.. And sometimes u are just not in the mood to start greeting everyone u see on the street.. be realistic my brother.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by precisionindepth: 7:41pm On May 15, 2015
haibe:
haven't seen that happen
family wey u never marry into already telling u to call ur fiances younger ones anty and brother cos u wan marry d brother...funny Yoruba pple
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Btruth: 7:42pm On May 15, 2015
steppin:

Their ignorance in that area is shameful.
Even the educated ones think same way.
Once you're not from the North, you're automatically an Igbo.
One of the major reasons why Uncle Joe lost, was because majority of them thought he was an Igbo man.
Your uncle Joe lost because of his cluelessness. He thought he can get re-elected with dollar power.
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by betty202020(m): 7:42pm On May 15, 2015
steppin:

One of the major reasons why Uncle Joe lost, was because majority of them thought he was an Igbo man.
in otherwords the are tribalistically bigots. Its because they dont travel out of west. Some of them who travels understand that there is decent life outside western region devoid of bigotry. My personal tailor is a yoruba. Very humble guy. His biggest problem is if you are 3 in a place and 2 are yorubas, discussion automatically change to yoruba language.
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by gatiano(m): 7:43pm On May 15, 2015
The parent that provoke you to respect is a very nice one, Try it with God, if He won't teach you better life lesson.

You as a person may possess a lot of knowledge, but you can't match a person a second older than you in wisdom, it is all the universe was built.
We are just in a period of what i will call a recessive period, where the entire world is expriencing a recessive nature of life. We/You not wanting to greeting your/our Elder is a recessive trait or want our elders to reciprocate respect.
Before the recessive era, which has already ended, The oldest is the leader. A good and clear example is God, He is the oldest.

Elders are not to respect you, they are to lead and correct you. Anywhere it is where they have made mistakes, correct it and keep it a secret.
haibe:

what are u saying... anyone ca be rude to anyone.. elders in yoruba land mostly disrespect the youngers and are in a position to say u cant do anything. If u caution their actions , they say u are disrespecting again.

Sorry please read and comprehend my post again. I never said u shouldn't respect elders, I said respect is reciprocal. Elders should respect the younger once.

Even the bible teaches that parents should also respect their children and not provoke them to wrath but yoruba parents and elders do provoke younger once all because they are elders.. This is something that has to be done away with in our culture. And if u support this, wake up!! This is 21st century and people are not stiupid like b4

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Rexnegro(m): 7:44pm On May 15, 2015
papichula:
Good day everyone, i was going to shop yesterday where i learn tailoring. I passed the shop beside us when a girl of about five to seven years older than told me that i passed without greeting her. I know it is right to greet those older than you but there are sometimes you're thinking of another thing and greeting is not on your radar. I smiled and passed thinking she was joking...

In the afternoon me and my senior passed, none of us greeted...she now told my boss dat i don't greet...

Thank God my boss is a watsup man so he just told me that i should try to greet..

The point is
why didn't she complain about the other guy with me? What nutrient do people gain from greeting them that she does not want to let me be...

Work that i just started less than 3 weeks, they want to spoil my name angry

Yorubas, not all are too obsessed with greeting. You will never see an Hausa person complaining about greeting...

That's not only the person I have seen complaining.
If she's yoruba lady and u re a yoruba girl then u re not well taught and cultured in yoruba ways...my dear in yoruba greeting elderly ones is a major trait in yoruba tradition/culture which in our ways show a mark of respect.... To be elder no be beans o. So respect ur elder by greeting tho not by force but do it for the sake of "give wat belong to cesar to cesar" u can't be rome n behave like a togolese na.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by igraman(m): 7:44pm On May 15, 2015
steppin:

so Jona isn't an ibo ? idontbeliveit
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by trapQ: 7:48pm On May 15, 2015
Hohohohohohhohhohohhooh laughing in ekaaro'o
amokeme:
That was how I told my Dad's younger brother "how are you sir" and the man took it P sad and reported me to my dad that I don't have respect
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by gatiano(m): 7:49pm On May 15, 2015
Like I said, It is all written in the face. Like when anybody steps on my foot, my first reaction is to look at their face, and to you amazement, you would findout that 99% don't even realize that they had stepped on another's foot. Greetings/reply to is the same.
I am from a people where when you are thinking too much or deeply, they will call out your attention, that is when you would findout that people really do care.

haibe:
u dont have to think the person is rude for not greeting u then.. And sometimes u are just not in the mood to start greeting everyone u see on the street.. be realistic my brother.
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Adeyinka123: 7:52pm On May 15, 2015
Whether you call it obsession or not we are very much okay with. It is our culture. Simple!

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by weselomo(m): 7:52pm On May 15, 2015
me and my friend live in a room but my friend is a good greeter but im not and now all the neighbours have turned me to their enemy for not greeting them

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Mrblaze06: 7:52pm On May 15, 2015
haibe:

you said yoruba parents do provoke their children...explain
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Mrblaze06: 7:55pm On May 15, 2015
precisionindepth:
family wey u never marry into already telling u to call ur fiances younger ones anty and brother cos u wan marry d brother...funny Yoruba pple
Yet you claim you are yoruba....

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Awoofawo(m): 8:00pm On May 15, 2015
Eyin omo Igbo e tu ti bere! Ok e kontiniu! Iya yin o wa ni cooler, gbigbona le ma je..... cool

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 8:00pm On May 15, 2015
Mrblaze06:
you said yoruba parents do provoke their children...explain
oga try to comprehend the post.. I cant reply everyone
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 8:01pm On May 15, 2015
gatiano:
Like I said, It is all written in the face. Like when anybody steps on my foot, my first reaction is to look at their face, and to you amazement, you would findout that 99% don't even realize that they had stepped on another's foot. Greetings/reply to is the same.
I am from a people where when you are thinking too much or deeply, they will call out your attention, that is when you would findout that people really do care.

when am not in the mood.. leave me, I will greet u some other time
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 8:03pm On May 15, 2015
gatiano:
The parent that provoke you to respect is a very nice one, Try it with God, if He won't teach you better life lesson.

You as a person may possess a lot of knowledge, but you can't match a person a second older than you in wisdom, it is all the universe was built.
We are just in a period of what i will call a recessive period, where the entire world is expriencing a recessive nature of life. We/You not wanting to greeting your/our Elder is a recessive trait or want our elders to reciprocate respect.
Before the recessive era, which has already ended, The oldest is the leader. A good and clear example is God, He is the oldest.

Elders are not to respect you, they are to lead and correct you. Anywhere it is where they have made mistakes, correct it and keep it a secret.

You have just showed the kind of mentality u have. Elders should not respect abi? And u think the younger person will wouldn't reciprocate rudeness? Because he isnt human abi?

Elders should provoke you? What are u sayin? Even the bible teaches they should not provoke childern too.. Read ephesians 6 or so

and where have I said u shouldnt greet an elder.. it seems u are replying another person and quoting me mistakenly. My point has been that respect is reciprocal.. No culture can take that fact away.. You respect me, I do.. You disrespect me, I do..

And no.. age doesnt always determine maturity and experience. This has even been proven scientifically. So make valid points dude

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Adrielbradshaw(f): 8:04pm On May 15, 2015
In my own case, most tymx i feel bad wen i pass sum1's shop witout sayin hi n later wen i nid a favor, i end up goin 2 dem n greet dem, yet dey r so kind 2 help. It happened 2 me 2day.
NB: ALWAYS TRY 2 SAY HI, IT WNT BITE, ITS COURTESY.... SAME WLD B DONE 2 U, OK. As d popular adage says "Respect is reciprocal"

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? / Kenyan Mourners Drop Coffin, Fight Over Where To Bury Corpse (Video) / Common 'madness' In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.