Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,958 members, 7,817,815 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? (31935 Views)

If You Are Yoruba You Should Relate To This (pic) / Eid Ul Adha 2015 E-cards Greeting Cards Download Free / Are Yoruba Girls Dirty? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by rukkyland(m): 8:06pm On May 15, 2015
I tire for Yoruba people... abeg greeting no dey for only one mouth o ..if I no greet you..Na crime if you greet me? I am talking money and you are talking nonsense..
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Richmond996: 8:07pm On May 15, 2015
its a general thing though, am Igbo and its a very big deal to greet at home and you don't dare say you forgot to greet. unless you will get it hot for that whole day, they will frustrate your life angry
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 8:08pm On May 15, 2015
precisionindepth:
family wey u never marry into already telling u to call ur fiances younger ones anty and brother cos u wan marry d brother...funny Yoruba pple
well that one is rare among us.. its the one that is common I am addressing, which is the older oncw disrespecting the younger once and not wanting the younger once to do the same.. this is very bad and self centered
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by GodMode: 8:09pm On May 15, 2015
haibe:

what are u saying... anyone ca be rude to anyone.. elders in yoruba land mostly disrespect the youngers and are in a position to say u cant do anything. If u caution their actions , they say u are disrespecting again.

Sorry please read and comprehend my post again. I never said u shouldn't respect elders, I said respect is reciprocal. Elders should respect the younger once.

Even the bible teaches that parents should also respect their children and not provoke them to wrath but yoruba parents and elders do provoke younger once all because they are elders.. This is something that has to be done away with in our culture. And if u support this, wake up!! This is 21st century and people are not stiupid like b4

Its not stupidity...

The elders are taking advantage of the laws of the land...

Everyone has a choice.. If the elder doesn't understand tell him to go and .....
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by dablazor: 8:09pm On May 15, 2015
dipopooo:
lipsrsealed we(Yoruba) are unique pple with nice culture. We ar nt like dose who dnt av respect for their elders. We ar nt like those homeless n cultureless basta*ds who wanted to spoil lagos by votin 4 Jimi Agbaje.
Why are u so bitter?
How dyou live with so much hatred?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Nobody: 8:10pm On May 15, 2015
babyosisi:

A friend of mine did NYSC In Ibadan area
She told me how sickened she was of this greeting thing
The landlord mandated all the tenants to greet his old mother every blessed day
Imagine waking up in the morning in your hurry to rush out,you must first go and knock on mama's door and bow down and greet her before leaving.
If you fail and he sees you,he will remind you to go and greet her
Sometimes after the morning ones,you may be reminded to go and greet her in the evening
I had never heard a thing like that in my life
Maybe it's like oxygen to some
It's polite to greet people but you don't demand it
Maybe from small children to teach them proper manners but certainly not mandating adults to greet you not only that to seek you out and greet you
That's absurd

This is obviously a silly concocted lie. Try another one.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 8:10pm On May 15, 2015
GodMode:

Its not stupidity...

The elders are taking advantage of the laws of the land...

Everyone has a choice.. If the elder doesn't understand tell him to go and .....
I don't get
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Nobody: 8:11pm On May 15, 2015
Mcowubaba:
Believe me, this thread will turn into something else....
One big foool go bring APC/PDP or igbo matter for this thing....

M watching..who is d edioot

the edioot is above you.

the one wey dey crase me na wen some one will continue greeting you for common hundred naira you give out.
thank u for yesterday
thank you for day before yesterday
thank you for that day
thank you for last week..

men it's ok. Naaaa
shuo...

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Gracious10: 8:12pm On May 15, 2015
Greeting is to a Yoruba person is as cerelac is to a baby. It does give them all the balanced nutrition.

Just greet them and move on. Remember give to ceaser what belongs to him...everything else will fall in place...
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by gatiano(m): 8:18pm On May 15, 2015
You don't understand what that place in the Bible means, The person that wrote that in the bible must have shown a lot of regards and respect to His/Her Elder.

Many atimes, I mess up and i am disciplined for it, it must have pained me, but in the end it is for my own good. For Elders to have your definition of respect for a younger person has so much deep meaning even science to it, only if you have shown your elders respect without expecting a respect back, they would have told you.
The best bribe to an Elder is respecting them, and it starts from "greetings, not just with your mouth but also with your deeds.

Age doesn't determine knowledge or character, But Wisdom is determined by Age. never miss/mix wisdom with knowledge. Wisdom is earned through experiences.

Do you know that the condition of the Black society stems from the disregards and disrespect of the Elders? Like i said, if you are wise enough, you would be able to understand.

haibe:

You have just showed the kind of mentality u have. Elders should not respect abi? And u think the younger person will wouldn't reciprocate rudeness? Because he isnt human abi?

Elders should provoke you? What are u sayin? Even the bible teaches they should not provoke childern too.. Read ephesians 6 or so

and where have I said u shouldnt greet an elder.. it seems u are replying another person and quoting me mistakenly. My point has been that respect is reciprocal.. No culture can take that fact away.. You respect me, I do.. You disrespect me, I do..

And no.. age doesnt always determine maturity and experience. This has even been proven scientifically. So make valid points dude

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by precisionindepth: 8:19pm On May 15, 2015
Mrblaze06:
Yet you claim you are yoruba....
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by GodMode: 8:21pm On May 15, 2015
$
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by GodMode: 8:21pm On May 15, 2015
haibe:
I don't get
You're slow...
You need to stop spending time on NL and reading websites that develop you...
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by gatiano(m): 8:22pm On May 15, 2015
When you are not in the mood, I would tell you "take it easy, what are you thinking about that you see me walking pass and you can't greet"?
Your greetings in reality won't quench my hunger or thirst. But the reality of it all, is that Peace be unto you. Peace is what we all hunger for. And you/we have never experienced peace in atleast 4000 years. First you must know what peace really is before you can appreciate greetings.
haibe:

when am not in the mood.. leave me, I will greet u some other time

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 8:22pm On May 15, 2015
gatiano:
You don't understand what that place in the Bible means, The person that wrote that in the bible must have shown a lot of regards and respect to His/Her Elder.

Many atimes, I mess up and i am disciplined for it, it must have pained me, but in the end it is for my own good. For Elders to have your definition of respect for a younger person has so much deep meaning even science to it, only if you have shown your elders respect without expecting a respect back, they would have told you.
The best bribe to an Elder is respecting them, and it starts from "greetings, not just with your mouth but also with your deeds.

Age doesn't determine knowledge or character, But Wisdom is determined by Age. never miss/mix wisdom with knowledge. Wisdom is earned through experiences.

Do you know that the condition of the Black society stems from the disregards and disrespect of the Elders? Like i said, if you are wise enough, you would be able to understand.

before I continue and address ur relevant points

Show me where I said you shouldn't respect your elder..

Seems comprehension is a proble here

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Ephemmm: 8:25pm On May 15, 2015
steppin:

Their ignorance in that area is shameful.
Even the educated ones think same way.
Once you're not from the North, you're automatically an Igbo.
One of the major reasons why Uncle Joe lost, was because majority of them thought he was an Igbo man.

But when GEJ was voted for massively in 2011, they didn't think that he was an Igbo man abi? See how you reasoned with your anus instead of your brain.

Oponu!

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 8:25pm On May 15, 2015
GodMode:

You're slow...

You need to stop spending time on NL and reading websites that develop you...
ok
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by stonecoldcafe: 8:26pm On May 15, 2015
amokeme:
That was how I told my Dad's younger brother "how are you sir" and the man took it P sad and reported me to my dad that I don't have respect
lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by dahmie2013: 8:26pm On May 15, 2015
I do say yoruba is d most hypocritical tribe we have. Not only are dey obsessed with greeting, dey are also obsessed with respect & proverbs. Dey use proverbs 2 justify nonsese. Yoruba will say u shud use "e" 4 elders, dat it is a sign of respect, so if I say "e ponu" is dat a sign of respect 2? Dey will say "agbalagba o kii n paro" but we all know dat it is dese "agalagba's" dat have spoilt dis natn with deir lies.
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 8:27pm On May 15, 2015
gatiano:
When you are not in the mood, I would tell you "take it easy, what are you thinking about that you see me walking pass and you can't greet"?
Your greetings in reality won't quench my hunger or thirst. But the reality of it all, is that Peace be unto you. Peace is what we all hunger for. And you/we have never experienced peace in atleast 4000 years. First you must know what peace really is before you can appreciate greetings.

You are not being pragmatic at all... if you are in a bad mood, you are usually not in the mood to talk at all.. this is normal, stop talking theory
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Bollinger(m): 8:27pm On May 15, 2015
akpanikpe:
Cos they are obbesed, shikenna tongue

You call it obsession, most people will call it manners. I know this for a fact. In the united states army, there is something called the greeting of the day. Make dem born you well pass your Oga no say good morning or good afternoon. You go get counseling statement for disrespect. So, if white man know the value, how come we as africans come de lose the value? Not saying common good morning shows the quality of upbringing. That being said, I am not yoruba but i value that aspect of their culture.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by damosky12(m): 8:28pm On May 15, 2015
vision2050:
e Karo oo
e ka San ooo
e kale ooo
e Ku irole ooo
e Ku oru ooo.
e Ku ise ooo
e ka bo ooo
e Ku ojo ooo
e Ku erun ooo
e Ku ase ooo
e Ku jije ooo
e Ku ile ooo
e Ku dun ooo
e Ku subsidy ooo
e Ku strike ooo
Yoruba can greet to any length, we have respect for people like they says respect is reciprocal , don't wait for someone to greet you, you can be the first to greet.
#repoduduwa#
Eku nairaland ooooo.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by gatiano(m): 8:29pm On May 15, 2015
That an Elder should show you some respect first is a disrespect on it own.
If an Elder does not call to your attention when you don't greet, what will the society then look like? The young did not greet, the elder ignores, then suddenly nobody stops greeting anybody will lead to the blood and crips relationship.
Disrespecting or reciprocate respect between elder and the younger works for the non-blacks. We trying that leads to what we see amongst the black neigbourhoods in europe and the americas, and it is cripping into africa bit by bit, You are an ambassador of it (lol).
haibe:

before I continue.

Show me where I said you shouldn't respect your elder..

Seems comorehension is a proble here

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by gatiano(m): 8:30pm On May 15, 2015
Awa ni yen oo, Bawo ni , Che En buro ile?
damosky12:

Eku nairaland ooooo.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Nobody: 8:30pm On May 15, 2015
iykololo:

Must congratulate the yorubas on this. I was in a tailor's shop to amend my cloth when a little boy walked in to buy something. Boy walks in and says in Yoruba, "give me.....". The tailor and an elderly woman I was there with quickly replied in unison,"go back and greet". The boy,humbled by that order,carefully stepped back and with every prostration he could exercise,greeted accordingly. Now here I was thinking to myself,....this is not my first time of seeing this scenario and surprisingly not in the same state either. Commendable!
Hmm, but I don't like dat postration nd knelling part.
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 8:31pm On May 15, 2015
dahmie2013:
I do say yoruba is d most hypocritical tribe we have. Not only are dey obsessed with greeting, dey are also obsessed with respect & proverbs. Dey use proverbs 2 justify nonsese. Yoruba will say u shud use "e" 4 elders, dat it is a sign of respect, so if I say "e ponu" is dat a sign of respect 2? Dey will say "agbalagba o kii n paro" but we all know dat it is dese "agalagba's" dat have spoilt dis natn with deir lies.

am yoruba but I have to be sincere to say this is the truth.. the elders (not all) are just too hypocritical..

Funny enough when they are angry, you will see the way they act to the other once that are older than them and you will be wondering if its not the same person that demanded respect from u

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by gatiano(m): 8:31pm On May 15, 2015
If you are in a bad mood, It is proper for me to ask you what the problem is, that is why we have the lowest suicide rate.
haibe:

You are not being pragmatic at all... if you are in a bad mood, you are usually not in the mood to talk at all.. this is normal, stop talking theory
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 8:34pm On May 15, 2015
gatiano:
That an Elder should show you some respect first is a disrespect on it own.

I will only address this as the rest of ur points are irrelevant since I nevwr said anything relating to them but this..

So lets start with this.. an elder shouldn't respect the younger once right? Whats your orientation about respect?
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by VoteOutPDPJona: 8:34pm On May 15, 2015
mrborntodoit:
Lol

I have no problem with their greeting method but I have a problem with the way they judge other tribes by the way they greet their elders.

For example,some people are fond of accusing another tribe of greeting their parent with slide tackle grin
grin Slide tackle indeed!
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 8:35pm On May 15, 2015
gatiano:
If you are in a bad mood, It is proper for me to ask you what the problem is, that is why we have the lowest suicide rate.
but does it mean I am rude because I didn't greet u because I was in a bad mood? No.. Case closed..

Am trying to close ireelevant cases you are bringing up in our argument here
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Nobody: 8:35pm On May 15, 2015
precisionindepth:
infact am tired of D's Yoruba culture even though am from d culture. in fact to dem if u Dont greet it means u r proud .very nonsense cultures
Lol, its a good thing sha. This respect thingy. But I must say itannoys me sometimes cos even in speaking yoruba u have to be conscious of how u adress older pple 'e' or 'o'. So when I meet some pple I just switch to english to save me dat wahala of u used 'o for me. Thank God say age no dey show for english.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? / Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) / The Olowu Of Owu Kingdom: The Final 7 Contestants In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.