Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,416 members, 7,815,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? (31915 Views)

If You Are Yoruba You Should Relate To This (pic) / Eid Ul Adha 2015 E-cards Greeting Cards Download Free / Are Yoruba Girls Dirty? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by precisionindepth: 9:17pm On May 15, 2015
Ellashow:

To say this about your culture on public forum to conform to society of being cool or 'westernized', shows how well brought up you were, ironically.
thks....u r so blessed

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by UjSizzle(f): 9:21pm On May 15, 2015
uncjay:

I don't really blame your ignorance, it's obvious you are not Yoruba, but certainly I suggest you should be sensitive enough not to call the way of life of a people obsession.

How would you feel if any part of your own culture or traditional is painted as obsession. It is how these people live their lives, instead of you respecting it as you will desire people to respect yours, you are here insulting and making jest of them. How better and authentic are you if I may ask?
No I am not Yoruba. And unfortunately I haven't even begun to insult anyone. Having an opinion isn't particularly insulting, unless of course you'd prefer everyone walk around like zombies without the capacity for lucid thoughts.

And sure you can take a jab at my tribe or culture. I promise you I will not be offended wink

Stop being unnecessarily touchy.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Awoofawo(m): 9:21pm On May 15, 2015
Ellashow:

To say this about your culture on public forum to conform to society of being cool or 'westernized', shows how well brought up you were, ironically.

can't believe that a true son/daughter with quality Yoruba background can say something!

Awon omo jatijati po lori Nairaland.

Omode a se iru fun won o!

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by gatiano(m): 9:22pm On May 15, 2015
Well good for you. The knowledge you would have will be limited within your family. Now, knowledge can't be bought.
GodMode:

What does good drinking water and bad healthcare system have to do with this

The only people I respect and greet are family..
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 9:24pm On May 15, 2015
Awoofawo:

Awon agba ma wipe ile lati ko eso rode! One can't see that you didn't have any home training in you to take out.....

I doubt that your claim of being Yoruba!

No matter one level of education, one must never jettison one cultural heritage, no matter how crude outsiders may see it or appear to you. Your culture is your identity, it is what made you unique from others around you.

You are seriously devoid of home training and lack understand of social important that respect plays in preserving the peaceful co-existence in a dynamic society.

its good to be respectful but not deluded and stupidd

Greeting is not respect sef. I can greet u and rude 2 u always
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by isalegan2: 9:27pm On May 15, 2015
haibe:

when am not in the mood.. leave me, I will greet u some other time

haibe:
whats ur point sir

haibe:
oga try to comprehend the post.. I cant reply everyone

haibe:
b
before I continue and address ur relevant points

Show me where I said you shouldn't respect your elder..

Seems comprehension is a proble here

haibe:

You are not being pragmatic at all... if you are in a bad mood, you are usually not in the mood to talk at all.. this is normal, stop talking theory

I bet you were the kinda kid that got a lot ikanko and abara up till adolescence. undecided grin
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by angelsing(m): 9:27pm On May 15, 2015
mrborntodoit:
Lol

I have no problem with their greeting method but I have a problem with the way they judge other tribes by the way they greet their elders.

For example,some people are fond of accusing another tribe of greeting their parent with slide tackle grin
hahahahahah....this one got me reeling in laughter..slide tackle!..lol

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by HyDef(m): 9:27pm On May 15, 2015
Just respect the culture of others.

While we Yoruba people feel that others might lack respect, it's not really our fault. Respect is ingrained in our culture, and although greeting sometimes gets annoying, it sets certain precedents.

I'm not bashing anyone, but the way you feel that us bowing down is too much, we feel that you not doing so is disrespect.

It's all a matter of perspective. People are different and that's what makes the world so great. Diversity.

Anyhow, I highly suggest that if you live in any region where their culture is different from yours, you try and do what they do, especially if it doesn't cost you anything.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 9:29pm On May 15, 2015
isalegan2:

I bet you were the kinda kid that got a lot ikanko and abara up till adolescence. undecided grin
undecided what is this one saying
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by olareed(m): 9:29pm On May 15, 2015
papichula:
Good day everyone, i was going to shop yesterday where i learn tailoring. I passed the shop beside us when a girl of about five to seven years older than told me that i passed without greeting her. I know it is right to greet those older than you but there are sometimes you're thinking of another thing and greeting is not on your radar. I smiled and passed thinking she was joking...

In the afternoon me and my senior passed, none of us greeted...she now told my boss dat i don't greet...

Thank God my boss is a watsup man so he just told me that i should try to greet..

The point is
why didn't she complain about the other guy with me? What nutrient do people gain from greeting them that she does not want to let me be...

Work that i just started less than 3 weeks, they want to spoil my name angry

Yorubas, not all are too obsessed with greeting. You will never see an Hausa person complaining about greeting...

That's not only the person I have seen complaining.
you definitely will feel disrespected when a minor you expect to greet you shuns you....
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by DExplorer1: 9:29pm On May 15, 2015
BuddahMonk:

Don't you know to a yoloba person anybody that is not Hausa or yoloba is omo ibo
Here's the disrespect we talk about.
Just type Yoruba and be happy. It's the same letters, the same energy dude.
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by amokeme(f): 9:32pm On May 15, 2015
eyinjuege:

WHAT!!!!!(screaming like a banshee) grin. You greeted your uncle like that? shocked shocked
a
Anyways, its the Yoruba culture. You should have seen the way a senior collegue at work almost slapped her 8 year old daughter (infact she so pulled her ears the girl almost went deaf, and on top screamed so hard at the poor child) for not greeting a stranger sitting down outside the place she was to work.
if I can greet my dad "how are you" then who the hell is the brother?! And may God forgive that colleague of yours
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by gatiano(m): 9:35pm On May 15, 2015
It has everything to do with it. Have you ever asked yourself the cause of african problems? we all claim is bad leadership and corruption, and they are just the effect of a deep problem. try to think it to the source.
For me the source of all black people problems began that minute we decided not to listen to our elders. That is the source.
GodMode:

What does good drinking water and bad healthcare system have to do with this

The only people I respect and greet are family..

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Awoofawo(m): 9:35pm On May 15, 2015
haibe:

its good to be respectful but not deluded and stupidd

Greeting is not respect sef. I can greet u and rude 2 u always

I agree with you. From western point of view, greeting is privilge but from africa perspective, it is a tradition, the building blocks of a stable and peaceful society.

You can't seperate yourself from your environment code of conduct without upset the social harmony.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 9:40pm On May 15, 2015
Awoofawo:

I agree with you. From western point of view, greeting is privilge but from africa, it is a tradition, the building blocks of a stable and peaceful society.

You can't seperate yourself from your environment code of conduct without upset the social harmony.

I can greet u mocking u.. see this guy, u never see anything. Greeting does not and never equates respect, it can just come willingly as a result of respect..

I might be rude to u and yet greet u. I might respect u and not greet u at a point. . It's better y'all know what respect is and stop abusing this precious word in English Language.
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by uncjay(m): 9:41pm On May 15, 2015
UjSizzle:

No I am not Yoruba. And unfortunately I haven't even begun to insult anyone. Having an opinion isn't particularly insulting, unless of course you'd prefer everyone walk around like zombies without the capacity for lucid thoughts.

And sure you can take a jab at my tribe or culture. I promise you I will not be offended wink

Stop being unnecessarily touchy.
Lolz....touchy indeed!

Everything is an opinion, I guess you never weigh your words before regarding them as opinion. Not even the one you modified because it simply hypocritical. Anyway no hard feeling its a free world so go ahead make your expressions the way you like.

Just remember never to quote or reply anyone that takes a jab at your culture because you were never meant to be offended.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Nobody: 9:43pm On May 15, 2015
I greet my dog and monkey and they happily greet me back. Whenever. I don't greet them, they greet regardless and come play around me cause when I don't greet, they seem to know I'm in a bad mood so they just play with each other maybe to cheer me up.

I greet everyone in my neiborhood. I greet very well. And I give ride to neighbours I know. When they see my cousin, they pick her up and say "Aburo Olumide right?"

We greet each other well in our neiborhood. With respect. Psychologically, it makes confrontation almost impossible when there is friction so we solve it respectfully and get back to greeting each other!! I love my country and my culture!!!

We the best!!!

By the sea nucca!!!

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Caracta(f): 9:43pm On May 15, 2015
I used to be very bad at greeting people. It was a habit everyone complained of but I didn't care. If you like hit your head on the wall, I wouldn't greet you if you didn't greet me or we didn't have eye contact.

Then I had this little boy of 3 I had to walk down to school every morning. At every block of the street, this boy would greet everyone and anyone. Everyone loved him, especially the old women. I would be forced to greet alongside with him. You dare not stop this little boy because he wouldn't listen. He didn't care if I wasn't in greeting terms with anybody. As long as you are human, he would greet you. If you don't answer, he would run to you, touch you and greet you again.

This boy of 3 taught me how to greet. I got used to it. Now I greet everyone and anyone.

@OP, it's your choice to greet or not to. But it gives a good impression about you. You don't need to bow, genuflect or roll on the floor. It's not about tribe. It's simply common sense

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Awoofawo(m): 9:45pm On May 15, 2015
haibe:

I can greet u mocking u.. see this guy, u never see anything. Greeting does not and never equates respect, it can just come willingly as a result of respect..

I might be rude to u and yet greet u. I might respect u and not greet u at a point. . It's better y'all know what respect is and stop abusing this precious word in English Language.

You are a proper ipata mi gbo mi gba kind of person. Ti e dowo Olo'un oba.

Just pray you don jam some real area-fathers na that day you go sabi important of greeting cool
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by dahmie2013: 9:47pm On May 15, 2015
haibe:

am yoruba but I have to be sincere to say this is the truth.. the elders (not all) are just too hypocritical..

Funny enough when they are angry, you will see the way they act to the other once that are older than them and you will be wondering if its not the same person that demanded respect from u
I tire 4 dem o!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Alfranco(m): 9:49pm On May 15, 2015
steppin:

Their ignorance in that area is shameful.
Even the educated ones think same way.
Once you're not from the North, you're automatically an Igbo.
One of the major reasons why Uncle Joe lost, was because majority of them thought he was an Igbo man.
This is a typical error of generalization about many sensible Yorubas I know.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by lolaluv1(f): 9:50pm On May 15, 2015
Forget all the greetings. Some Yorubas can be very very very rude if they want to be. Greeting or No greeting. They will tell you: Se ori Yin daru nii?

They can also sing insulting songs to rile their enemies....
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by splashbaby(m): 9:53pm On May 15, 2015
mrborntodoit:
Lol

For example,some people are fond of accusing another tribe of greeting their parent with slide tackle grin
Slide tackle indeed.... Recently I had some indian visitors that buttress the beauty of greeting... Like the Yorubas they greet a lot, it was a virtue I really cherish,... It cement mutual respect, it was very easy for us to relate. Those culture without it have nothing to lose though but much to gain...
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Ellashow: 9:53pm On May 15, 2015
Awoofawo:

can't believe that a true son/daughter with quality Yoruba background can say something!

Awon omo jatijati po lori Nairaland.

Omode a se iru fun won o!

i don't get why people do that at all. I can never trades my culture for any thing in this world. And since when did greetings limited to a particular cultures or tribes?

Greeting has opened so many doors for me because people viewed me as being responsible and relatable without even getting closed to me enough.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by UjSizzle(f): 9:54pm On May 15, 2015
uncjay:
Lolz....touchy indeed!

Everything is an opinion, I guess you never weigh your words before regarding them as opinion. Not even the one you modified because it simply hypocritical. Anyway no hard feeling its a free world so go ahead make your expressions the way you like.

Just remember never to quote or reply anyone that takes a jab at your culture because you were never meant to be offended.
Pumpkin, if you weren't so quick to jump at my words you'd realize that addition was made right about the time you were typing your initial response. And yeah, it still doesn't take away from my point of view.

What's to weigh? We can't please everyone all the time.

Likewise, no hard feelings.
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by mrborntodoit: 9:54pm On May 15, 2015
splashbaby:
Slide tackle indeed.... Recently I had some indian visitors that buttress the beauty of greeting... Like the Yorubas they greet a lot, it was a virtue I really cherish,... It cement mutual repeat, it was very easy for us to relate. Those culture without it have nothing to lose though but much to gain...

What's your point?
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by splashbaby(m): 9:57pm On May 15, 2015
mrborntodoit:

What's your point?
You never did comprehension in school?
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by mrborntodoit: 9:59pm On May 15, 2015
splashbaby:
You never did comprehension in school?

Another waste of skin on the loose
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by splashbaby(m): 10:04pm On May 15, 2015
mrborntodoit:

Another waste of skin on the loose
Another lsreali wanna be.. Bunch of confused ethno-centric miscreant.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by kokomilala(m): 10:05pm On May 15, 2015
It's not obsession, my friend, it's what is entrenched in the culture.The Yoruba are honorific.They place a high premium on brotherhood, communality, on honouring people.
The said girl stretched the band of this value too far by complaining that she was being ignored.
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by mrborntodoit: 10:08pm On May 15, 2015
splashbaby:
Another lsreali wanna be.. Bunch of confused ethno-centric miscreant.

Big.ot!

Why don't you do the world a favor and hang yourself?
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by uncjay(m): 10:14pm On May 15, 2015
UjSizzle:

Pumpkin, if you weren't so quick to jump at my words you'd realize that addition was made right about the time you were typing your initial response. And yeah, it still doesn't take away from my point of view.

What's to weigh? We can't please everyone all the time.

Likewise, no hard feelings.

Have a nice evening..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Fulani / Siddika Lamido To Wed Abubakar Umar Kurfi (Photos) / Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.