Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,191 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:09 AM

Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? (31997 Views)

If You Are Yoruba You Should Relate To This (pic) / Eid Ul Adha 2015 E-cards Greeting Cards Download Free / Are Yoruba Girls Dirty? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Akposkool(m): 7:06pm On May 15, 2015
Respect is reciprocal. Nuff said
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by fabulouskeem(m): 7:06pm On May 15, 2015
mightycrown1:
I DONT KNOW WHY POEPLE WANT TO DIE BECAUSE OF YORUBA ISSUES.

NO LEVEL OF CIVILIZATION CAN MAKE US FORGET OUR CULTURE.
IF WOLE SOYINKA CAN GREET WITH RESPECT (SHOWING THE SIGN) UPON HIS LEVEL OF KNOWLEDGE, IT SHOWS THAT WE YORUBAS CAN'T SELL OUR CULTURE BECAUSE OF BORROWED OR BOUGHT CULTURES CALLED CIVILIZATION.

Wa dagba grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by gatiano(m): 7:07pm On May 15, 2015
You don't know what greeting means. It means good luck or Peace. I love to greet everybody elder to me even if it s just a year older. I expect the same from the younger. ki elegbe mo egbe. It simply mean peace be unto you. GREET!

Or you want make person carry simple matter go meet the wiseone after which Jesus self will look the other way asking you "why you self no fit greet your elder"?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by NewNigeriaMind: 7:07pm On May 15, 2015
I am in kaduna right now.

In a government office where I work as a consultant

One thing I noticed is they love love their traditional cloths a lot. On Monday morning you see accountant putting on agbada.

That's the culture or way of life here. It will be wrong for me to go about complaining.

The best I can if I don't like it is leave kaduna

Op, no apologies that's yoruba culture. If you don't like it move to areas where you wouldn't need to great anyone angry

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 7:09pm On May 15, 2015
Funjosh:

If you try to understand Yoruba culture, you mite just end up having Migraine lipsrsealed

seriously oo.. Yoruba culture is complex and annoying

for example

In yoruba culture, you cannot be rude to an elder but an elder can be rude to you... infact when u question an elder for being rude, dey tell u that you are being rude for questioning again undecided

very annoying thing in the yoruba culture

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by precisionindepth: 7:09pm On May 15, 2015
qbd2:
Just our culture. I also get into trouble very often for not greetinbg every single person I see when I wake up in d morning.
infact am tired of D's Yoruba culture even though am from d culture. in fact to dem if u Dont greet it means u r proud .very nonsense cultures

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Nobody: 7:10pm On May 15, 2015
tonychristopher:
they are eye service lovers..but failing to realise that salutation is not love

Real eye service for many
Some will be cursing the person while they are kneeling
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 7:10pm On May 15, 2015
gatiano:
You don't know what greeting means. It means good luck or Peace. I love to greet everybody elder to me even if it s just a year older. I expect the same from the younger. ki elegbe mo egbe. It simply mean peace be unto you. GREET!

Or you want make person carry simple matter go meet the wiseone after which Jesus self will look the other way asking you "why you self no fit greet your elder"?

didn't u read her post? She said she probably was thinking about something else... sometimes u just dony observe ur environment to the extent of greeting every single person u meet... sometimes u are just not even in the mood to do so
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by gatiano(m): 7:10pm On May 15, 2015
It is because you don't know what an elder means.
haibe:

seriously oo.. Yoruba culture is complex and annoying

for example

In yoruba culture, you cannot be rude to an elder but an elder can be rude to you... infact when u question an elder for being rude, dey tell u that you are being rude for questioning again undecided

very annoying thing in the yoruba culture

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by xoella: 7:11pm On May 15, 2015
yorubas greet as a way of showing respect to ppl especially older ones. Since it has been part of the culture of the yorubas to greet I can see y it would be a source of concern or an act of disrespect if someone is not greeted.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 7:12pm On May 15, 2015
precisionindepth:
infact am tired of D's Yoruba culture even though am from d culture. in fact to dem if u Dont greet it means u r proud .very nonsense cultures

me too.. although I try as much as possible to greet when I can as it creates a friendly environment.. but its not possible every time
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by haibe(m): 7:13pm On May 15, 2015
gatiano:
It is because you don't know what an elder means.

oga forget elder. . Respect is reciprocal. We are all human beings and have emotions, you cant be rude to me because you are older than me and expect me to be happy.. if that is what our culture teaches, then ignore it, at least that aspect of the culture

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by gatiano(m): 7:14pm On May 15, 2015
Which is why it was good to call out her attention. If a person is too deep in thought, It is a good way to ask "heeeey, are you still there".
I have greeted a lot of people that didn't answer/reply, in all cases, the reply is written on the facial expression. Some may even greet or reply without even greeting you atall.
haibe:

didn't u read her post? She said she probably was thinking about something else... sometimes u just dony observe ur environment to the extent of greeting every single person u meet... sometimes u are just not even in the mood to do so

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Missmossy(f): 7:17pm On May 15, 2015
Lol its in the blood of those who behave like that cheesy

Not every Yoruba person is like that anyway.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Nobody: 7:17pm On May 15, 2015
BuddahMonk:
When I was serving in Delta it always bring friction between Igbos and yorubas in Corpers lodge, that we Igbo don't respect our elders.

We told them pointblank that we won't bow to anybody because that is where all their arguements are directed to.

I will always tell my madam then I was doing IT that I have greeted the way I know best to do, so stop expecting me to genuflect and bow down because I want to greet you, I will observe my culture and you have every right to respect it and you must.

If I like I greet if I don't I won't, my parents never demanded greeting from because I greet them the way we are taught to.

Thank you
When I greet older Yoruba men and women especially much older ones like parents of friends , I actually do bend my knees a little when I remember o , because that's what I see them do
A warm smile with a greeting should be good enough
I certainly will not kneel down to greet any human being
I don't do it for my parents and won't do it to anyone
I only kneel in worship for The Lord my God

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Armaggedon: 7:18pm On May 15, 2015
DollyParton1:

Don't mind the fool. They had no ill feeling against Yoruba's choice of voting when they casted most of their votes for him in 2011.
Even the Hausas went all out for him in 2011 also, these mofos had nothing against it then.
error 419
meaning not found
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by gatiano(m): 7:19pm On May 15, 2015
Yes, it is reciprocal, you got that not from your culture. There is not relationship between greetings and respect. An elder can never be rude to you if you are not rude in the first place (like i said, you may greet with all your loud voice, and yet not greeting atall, the elder understands this).
In place like Africa, respect can save you a lot where a billion dollar won't.
haibe:

oga forget elder. . Respect is reciprocal. We are all human beings and have emotions, you cant be rude to me because you are older than me and expect me to be happy.. if that is what our culture teaches, then fucck it, at least that aspect of the culture

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Seunpaul01(m): 7:20pm On May 15, 2015
dipopooo:
lipsrsealed we(Yoruba) are unique pple with nice culture. We ar nt like dose who dnt av respect for their elders. We ar nt like those homeless n cultureless basta*ds who wanted to spoil lagos by votin 4 Jimi Agbaje.

Omo o ga fun e gan o. se o tun ni lati fi ti eko si ni.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by adonismuller(m): 7:21pm On May 15, 2015
steppin:

Their ignorance in that area is shameful.
Even the educated ones think same way.
Once you're not from the North, you're automatically an Igbo.
One of the major reasons why Uncle Joe lost, was because majority of them thought he was an Igbo man.
didnt the yorubas think he was from ibo when they voted him in 2011?
Bro,i am from Delta,Joe lost cz of his incompetence!

We should stop attributing our brother's failure to the yorubas! They voted for who they think can deliver,same way they thought Gej can deliver in 2011 and voted him.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by dipopooo(m): 7:24pm On May 15, 2015
Seunpaul01:

Omo o ga fun e gan o. se o tun ni lati fi ti eko si ni.
beeni oo baba awon aje okuta ma mumi fe ba eko je

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by MizMyColi(f): 7:27pm On May 15, 2015
Now that's one aspect of their culture I so heartily wanna imbibe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by iykololo(m): 7:28pm On May 15, 2015
qbd2:
Just our culture. I also get into trouble very often for not greetinbg every single person I see when I wake up in d morning.

Must congratulate the yorubas on this. I was in a tailor's shop to amend my cloth when a little boy walked in to buy something. Boy walks in and says in Yoruba, "give me.....". The tailor and an elderly woman I was there with quickly replied in unison,"go back and greet". The boy,humbled by that order,carefully stepped back and with every prostration he could exercise,greeted accordingly. Now here I was thinking to myself,....this is not my first time of seeing this scenario and surprisingly not in the same state either. Commendable!

12 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by cbrass(m): 7:29pm On May 15, 2015
precisionindepth:

Only a........points to her father's house with a left hand.

lipsrsealed

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Bluffly: 7:30pm On May 15, 2015
papichula:
Good day everyone, i was going to shop yesterday where i learn tailoring. I passed the shop beside us when a girl of about five to seven years older than told me that i passed without greeting her. I know it is right to greet those older than you but there are sometimes you're thinking of another thing and greeting is not on your radar. I smiled and passed thinking she was joking...

In the afternoon me and my senior passed, none of us greeted...she now told my boss dat i don't greet...

Thank God my boss is a watsup man so he just told me that i should try to greet..

The point is
why didn't she complain about the other guy with me? What nutrient do people gain from greeting them that she does not want to let me be...

Work that i just started less than 3 weeks, they want to spoil my name angry

Yorubas, not all are too obsessed with greeting. You will never see an Hausa person complaining about greeting...

That's not only the person I have seen complaining.
Greeting is courtesy. It is not that Yoruba's are obsessed but rather that some people can be troublesome. It is also right that you greet anyone you know that come your way in the morning even at place of work you see people greeting be it Yoruba Igbo or Hausa at most they say bros how far or they device other means.

More so it cost you nothing to manage the situation like "please don't be annoyed my mind was somewhere else, good morning" period with a lighter mood and move on. If she now says is she too small to be noticed,you can either walk on or say please do not be offended. Making peace in ones work environment is important.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Neplusultra(f): 7:31pm On May 15, 2015
Reminds me of my NYSC days in Oyo state! I no just get strength to recap abeg! Diff tribes, diff wahala! embarassed

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Luukasz(m): 7:31pm On May 15, 2015
[url][/url] The Small Girl Has A Crush On You Can You not Get That
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by gatiano(m): 7:32pm On May 15, 2015
President Jonathan didn't lost because of all that, He doesn't want it atall for the second term. He only looked at the trend of the land, No President or head of state has ruled past 8 years. He had six years, another term would have made it 10 years, Big Brother Joe, just think am avoid what can or may happen getting close to His 8th year on rulership. It is called respect to the eldership trend of ruling.

Even, the colonial governors never spent past 8 years (I guess).
adonismuller:
didnt the yorubas think he was from ibo when they voted him in 2011?
Bro,i am from Delta,Joe lost cz of his incompetence!
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by precisionindepth: 7:32pm On May 15, 2015
cbrass:

Only a........points to her father's house with a left hand.
lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by jhidey08(m): 7:33pm On May 15, 2015
vision2050:
e Karo oo
e ka San ooo
e kale ooo
e Ku irole ooo
e Ku oru ooo.
e Ku ise ooo
e ka bo ooo
e Ku ojo ooo
e Ku erun ooo
e Ku ase ooo
e Ku jije ooo
e Ku ile ooo
e Ku dun ooo
e Ku subsidy ooo
e Ku strike ooo
Yoruba can greet to any length, we have respect for people like they says respect is reciprocal , don't wait for someone to greet you, you can be the first to greet.
#repoduduwa#
u've not seen where someone wants to withdraw from d atm and a yoruba man passes by and greets him: "eku ATM o" grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Nobody: 7:34pm On May 15, 2015
papichula:
Good day everyone, i was going to shop yesterday where i learn tailoring. I passed the shop beside us when a girl of about five to seven years older than told me that i passed without greeting her. I know it is right to greet those older than you but there are sometimes you're thinking of another thing and greeting is not on your radar. I smiled and passed thinking she was joking...

In the afternoon me and my senior passed, none of us greeted...she now told my boss dat i don't greet...

Thank God my boss is a watsup man so he just told me that i should try to greet..

The point is
why didn't she complain about the other guy with me? What nutrient do people gain from greeting them that she does not want to let me be...

Work that i just started less than 3 weeks, they want to spoil my name angry

Yorubas, not all are too obsessed with greeting. You will never see an Hausa person complaining about greeting...

That's not only the person I have seen complaining.

LOL not entirely true though..
Not greeting is considered disrespectful..
it is not just the yorubas, it is the nigerian tradition entirely that puts a lot of value on greetings
Re: Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? by Neplusultra(f): 7:34pm On May 15, 2015
babyosisi:

Real eye service for many
Some will be cursing the person while they are kneeling
Lmao!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Kenyan Mourners Drop Coffin, Fight Over Where To Bury Corpse (Video) / Common 'madness' In Lagos? / El-Rufai Appoints Ahmed Nuhu Bamalli As Emir Of Zazzau

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.