Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:35 PM

The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria (44917 Views)

Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions / DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car / Check Your Tokunbo Custom Duties Status B4 Traveling For Xmas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by Olaposij(m): 3:22pm On May 14, 2015
lomomike:

Kazeem's theory propounded by a Nairaland Kazeemee for Kazeemers and their specimen X.

Aunty Coldplay come see kasmus.

Kazeem sorry slip of keypad, Tonychristopher, how do you 'tropicalize' a car?

angry

Where have I been all this while? I have missed a great thread.
OP Kazeem?
You didn't provide source...
Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by tonychristopher: 3:26pm On May 14, 2015
I AM NOT KAZEEM BRO

Olaposij:

Where have I been all this while? I have missed a great thread.
OP Kazeem?
You didn't provide source...
Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by honmusa(m): 3:39pm On May 14, 2015
tonychristopher:
I AM NOT KAZEEM BRO

All your posts are pure rubbish ,where are your facts and figures to prove your points ,because you feel that the way it should be and you went ahead to ''kazeem'' your car out doesnt prove any point ,you can as well set your car on fire for all i care !!! if you are not ready to unlearn all this gibberish, stop misleading people that are willing to learn .You are indeed a tropicalising grin grin kazeem !!!

7 Likes

Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by tonychristopher: 3:50pm On May 14, 2015
why do you feel i am misleading people, my car is tropicalised and it rocks ...that jap is damn good

but i just made my mind known and i am not saying YOU OR ANYBODY MUST BUY INTO THAT

honmusa:

All your posts are pure rubbish ,stop misleading people that are willing to learn .You are indeed a tropicalising grin grin kazeem !!!

2 Likes

Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by honmusa(m): 3:59pm On May 14, 2015
tonychristopher:
why do you feel i am misleading people, my car is tropicalised and it rocks ...that jap is damn good

but i just made my mind known and i am not saying YOU OR ANYBODY MUST BUY INTO THAT

Do u understand the concept of engine running in open loop?

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by abatically(m): 4:26pm On May 14, 2015
honmusa:

Do u understand the concept of engine running in open loop?

Abeg educate him.
Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by abatically(m): 4:33pm On May 14, 2015
tonychristopher:

Let me ask u one more question Mr op.

Is disconnecting the check engine light also part of ur tropicalization? U realize thermostat removal will trigger the check engine light in some cars. So what do u do about that, do u also yank off the check engine light? Or are u one of those that says check engine light doesn't mean anything?

2 Likes

Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by Ikenna351(m): 4:37pm On May 14, 2015
tonychristopher:
bros dores it mean people dont tropicalise engines...dude it is done, ur lucky or were lucky.....my car doesnt have a thermo and it runs okay just a bit fuel consumption

but that is okay

it is an individual thing, if you want to leave thermostat fine, if your car is overheating and if u can leave thermostat ..fine, if you can yank it off..also fine

i am not deceiving people, all drivers aint no kids, so they can decide

I wonder where you got the "feeling" that the only harm you are doing on that vehicle is rich running that sends excess unburnt fuel to the crankcase. You obviously have no idea what it does to your crank jounals, do you? You obvioulsy have no idea what constant running of engine at low temperature does to the cylinders and other lubricating parts of engine? Do you even know how engine works?

If you have intention of selling the vehicle in future, do humanity a favour, kindly inform the innocent buyer that you intentionally abused the vehicle mercilessly. At least, he/she will appreciate your honesty, to be prepared what awaits him/her.

What you do with your vehicle is your business. Just dont pass on the abuse or nightmare to innocent person.

Ikenna

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by Ikenna351(m): 4:44pm On May 14, 2015
tonychristopher:

bro to be honest, i dont know kazeem and i am not him.....

Iron is not a mechanical intrstrument but electrical

bro use VOXWAGEN as an example

Do that car even have thermostat and does it overheat

If what you meant is VW bug, then you obviously never touched that car key before.

The engine had oil cooler, but lack conventional car cooling system. Meaning, it had a limit. Owners of that bug that tried to push it beyond it limit ended up burning the engine or losing it. It was not designed to be used as vehicle with standard cooling system.

Ikenna
Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by auhanson(m): 4:58pm On May 14, 2015
ogawisdom:
Op dnt let some experts catch u n this ur explanation esp ikenna351

Anyway u ve some point
A car used in nigeria with thermostat removed n fan running steadily will never overheat dts a fact. Yes d only harm is dt ur car burns fuel more only on a cold day for abt 15min or less after first start up b4 it reaches operating temp n runs normal. A lesser harm to d engine if u ask me compared to a daily overheating engine which will cause u a total engine replacement b4 long.

I ve choosen d former to d latter tongue

Try removing a thermostat from a w202 or w203 c class in Nigeria and see if you can drive that car, if overheat will not kill your top? You can do that with a Japmobile and go free but you dare not try it with any of the c class. Highest you could do is to replace a higher therm with a lower one(like 71,78,82 degrees therm) but never in you imagination dare try removing it else you want to lose your top and create other issues...

tonychristopher:

let’s not pretend, up until recently, ours were not roads and highways to brag to anyone about. Poor finish, cliff-like edges and pot-holes that could swallow an entire Vitz characterized our national roadway grid, and you needed a car with tough suspension if you planned to own and drive your car longer than a few weeks. Foreign cars have slightly stiffer, lower-riding suspension systems, complete with low-profile tyres to improve their handling without compromising too much on comfort… their roads are good, so even a car with a suspension set on bed-rock, Fred Flintstone-style, will not break your back. The suspension components are also made from lighter material to reduce unsprung weight and improve steering response and overall handling.

You try that here and your car will fall to pieces before you get through your third tankful of refined crude. Even with the improved (and still improving) road network, we still have sleeping policemen and rumble strips that could shatter your dental formula if engaged at speed. Sleeping policemen, by the way, are not the boys in blue snoozing; they are those fat, elongated bumps that don’t seem too bad, until you hit one at speed and ruin your car completely, after which you treat them with a little more respect.

Also, i use low profile tires in my Benz 245/40/r17, needless to say i enjoy the handling so much with them and do great too without any issues. i climb bumps like no mans biz with these things.
Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by tonychristopher: 4:59pm On May 14, 2015
ok

so what i am not getting right here is that some peeps are against tropicalization

Ikenna351:

If what you meant is VW bug, then you obviously never touched that car key before.

The engine had oil cooler, but lack conventional car cooling system. Meaning, it had a limit. Owners of that bug that tried to push it beyond it limit ended up burning the engine or losing it. It was not designed to be used as vehicle with standard cooling system.

Ikenna
Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by tonychristopher: 5:02pm On May 14, 2015
lol

when you say low temprature, ours here is kinda high...so the car is working optimally

Ikenna351:

I wonder where you got the "feeling" that the only harm you are doing on that vehicle is rich running that sends excess unburnt fuel to the crankcase. You obviously have no idea what it does to your crank jounals, do you? You obvioulsy have no idea what constant running of engine at low temperature does to the cylinders and other lubricating parts of engine? Do you even know how engine works?

If you have intention of selling the vehicle in future, do humanity a favour, kindly inform the innocent buyer that you intentionally abused the vehicle mercilessly. At least, he/she will appreciate your honesty, to be prepared what awaits him/her.

What you do with your vehicle is your business. Just dont pass on the abuse or nightmare to innocent person.

Ikenna
Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by tonychristopher: 5:04pm On May 14, 2015
NO

checjk engine light should never be disconnected with the temp reader...all are intact

Just particular of thermostat thats all/

at least i see reading in my car

abatically:

Let me ask u one more question Mr op.

Is disconnecting the check engine light also part of ur tropicalization? U realize thermostat removal will trigger the check engine light in some cars. So what do u do about that, do u also yank off the check engine light? Or are u one of those that says check engine light doesn't mean anything?
Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by abatically(m): 5:12pm On May 14, 2015
tonychristopher:
NO

checjk engine light should never be disconnected with the temp reader...all are intact

Just particular of thermostat thats all/

at least i see reading in my car

So I should ignore my check engine light then, because some cars throw the light once the thermostat is yanked. Let me ask u, do u drive around with ur check engine light on?
Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by tonychristopher: 6:10pm On May 14, 2015
abatically:

So I should ignore my check engine light then, because some cars throw the light once the thermostat is yanked. Let me ask u, do u drive around with ur check engine light on?
CHECK ENGINE IS OFF ...IT DOES INDICATE ANYWAY ...THE LAST TIME IT BLINKED WAS AIR FLOW SENSOR WAS BAD I CHANGED IT WITH NUZZLES IT STOPPED AND I DRIVE A LESS COMPLEX CAR ...NISSAN IS IT ...JUST A 4 CYLINDER CAR

SO I CANT. IGNORE CHECK LIGHT BRO
Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by ogawisdom(m): 6:20pm On May 14, 2015
tonychristopher:
lol

when you say low temprature, ours here is kinda high...so the car is working optimally

My man u r coping so far no body overheating grin grin

A car with thermostat removed n fan spinning constantly hits operating temp in less than 10mins of driving on a hot day n less than 15mins on a cold day. Thermostat opens at some point n fan spins at some point during driving sooo

All these arguments r needless, ppl shld stick with wateva works for them.

If u can run ur car on factory specs d best if nt do d needful if overheating disturbs u.

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by tonychristopher: 6:29pm On May 14, 2015
ogawisdom:

A car with thermostat removed n fan spinning constantly hits operating temp in less than 10mins of driving on a hot day n less than 15mins on a cold day.

If u can run ur car on factory specs d best if nt do d needful if overheating disturbs u.

MY FRIEND JUST BOUGHT SL500 BENZ AND THE CAR OVERHEAT LIKE A FAT WOMAN SCANNED IT NOTHING AND HE WAS ADVISED TO TROPUCALIZE..I DRIVE A NISSAN PERSONAL NO THERMO BUT BENZ OFFICIAL THERE IS THERMO SO

I JUST DONT WANT BEEN BORTHERED WITH OVER HEATING ...IT CAN BE EMBARRASING ESPECIALLY IF U DRIVE IN LAGOS TRAFFIC

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by Coldplay007(f): 6:50pm On May 14, 2015
lomomike:

Kazeem's theory propounded by a Nairaland Kazeemee for Kazeemers and their specimen X.

Aunty Coldplay come see kasmus.

Kazeem sorry slip of keypad, Tonychristopher, how do you 'tropicalize' a car?

angry
@lomomike thanks

@OP..
Tony Kasumu grin grin
It's poverty that is worrying you...
If you had money to buy a 2015 toyota highlander, you won't know the definition of tropicalisation....
By the way you are in the wrong section..
What you just did is akin to heresy in the religion section or insulting Muslims in the Islam section...
We need an apology from you for this great heresy....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by tonychristopher: 6:58pm On May 14, 2015
Coldplay007:

@lomomike thanks

@OP..
Tony Kasumu grin grin
If you had money to buy a 2015 toyota highlander, you won't know the definition of tropicalisation....
What you just did is akin to heresy in the religion section or insulting Muslims in the Islam section...

WHAT HAS POVERTY AND ISLAM GOT TO DO HERE ....I AM NOT AN SUV FAN ...MY CAR IS OKAY AND I ROCK IT AND USE C 200 AS OFFICE CAR ..SO I THINK YOU SHOULD BE CULTURED .....

IF WE GO TO RELIGIOUS SECTION WE TALK BUT HERE WE ARE CAR FREAKS RICHEST WOMAN ON EARTH
Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:02pm On May 14, 2015
Coldplay007:

@lomomike thanks

@OP..
Tony Kasumu grin grin

I've got low battery on my glo phone and no Network on my airtel phone. When I'm back online, I'll upload a Toyota and/or a Lexus warning against kazeemization of toyota/lexus.

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by Coldplay007(f): 7:23pm On May 14, 2015
tonychristopher:

WHAT HAS POVERTY AND ISLAM GOT TO DO HERE ....I AM NOT AN SUV FAN ...MY CAR IS OKAY AND I ROCK IT AND USE C 200 AS OFFICE CAR ..SO I THINK YOU SHOULD BE CULTURED .....

IF WE GO TO RELIGIOUS SECTION WE TALK BUT HERE WE ARE CAR FREAKS RICHEST WOMAN ON EARTH

I didn't intend to insult you... I"m a car enthusiast like most car talkers.. and what you just posted is against what we believe and preach on this section..
You don't post something this controversial without putting a source and you are still arguing illogically despite all the proves people have shown you about your nonsensical post
You need to give us a credible source or stop posting balderdash... undecided undecided
Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by abatically(m): 7:23pm On May 14, 2015
ogawisdom:

A car with thermostat removed n fan spinning constantly hits operating temp in less than 10mins of driving on a hot day n less than 15mins on a cold day. Thermostat opens at some point n fan spins at some point during driving sooo

U are right but only to some extent. A car with thermostat removed and fan spinning constantly might eventually get to its operating temperature on a hot day but might take up to 30 mins to 1hr of driving. So what if I commute only short distances, say I drive for only 15-20 mins, that means I will constantly run rich and my car will never get to it's optimum temperature, not good for my engine.

U should also know that a car with thermostat removed, fans spinning constantly, coupled with a double cell radiator WILL NEVER get to its operating temperature no matter how long u drive it. Trust me I know what I'm saying.

4 Likes

Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by billy187(m): 7:34pm On May 14, 2015
abatically:

U are right but only to some extent. A car with thermostat removed and fan spinning constantly might eventually get to its operating temperature on a hot day but might take up to 30 mins to 1hr of driving. So what if I commute only short distances, say I drive for only 15-20 mins, that means I will constantly run rich and my car will never get to it's optimum temperature, not good for my engine.

U should also know that a car with thermostat removed, fans spinning constantly, coupled with a double cell radiator WILL NEVER get to its operating temperature no matter how long u drive it. Trust me I know what I'm saying.

Well, i think it would-eventually.....but will definitely not remain there. I remember when my Focus had no thermo. The poor thing could reach optimal temp in 20ish minutes of traffic jam- only to go back to cold when i'm cruising at 120kmph on the highway! grin
Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:40pm On May 14, 2015
lomomike:

I've got low battery on my glo phone and no Network on my airtel phone. When I'm back online, I'll upload a Toyota and/or a Lexus warning against kazeemization of toyota/lexus.

I'm back... Finally Airtel granted me audience to show a kazeem what Toyota said

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by Readonee35L(m): 7:43pm On May 14, 2015
billy187:
Very interesting thread! Well, I used to live in the USA..in the Northern State of Montana, where we routinely experienced sub zero weather. We moved down to Ghana a while ago and brought along a '97ish subaru outback and a '99 Chevy Suburban. I knew NOTHING of tropicalization but my cars thrived in the blistering heat and standstill traffic that plagued Accra in the early 2000s.

About 2-3 years ago I bought a Ghana used '03 Ford Focus Se wagon after selling off my other beloved rides. This car was cool and all-but not as reliable. I had to immediately replace the battery....which the owner swore was less than a year old..and from how things look; another battery replacement is imminent!! It took FOREVER to heat up and loved overheating for some reason and it made a piffling 18mpg-something my 5.7v8 Suburban could exceed!!!

I took it for diagnosis and behold......that's where i learnt of tropicalization. Ive since done the best i can to reverse things: though it's now left with my direct fans, which is waay to complex for me to reverse- my mech claims this setup is the cause of my terrible battery life. Anyways, car now reaches optimal temp in 3mins and makes like 20-21mpg; not perfect but better than 18mpg!!!

Apart from the suspension that is going bad ...i cant help but link every single problem i've ever got on my Focus to this 'tropicalization' you speak of, op.

Lol you are saying 18mpg is actually worse

when my chevrolet venture with 3.4L V6 gives me 13-15 mpg
it had zero codes. engines run fresh , thermostat intact and no illegal connection
i have packed the ride for lik 7months now , it think the ecu is bad, wont crank.

my dodge srt8(sold) says 13 city / 19 highway from manufacturer .
but i gt like 11mpg city and 15 highway

my pilot gives the best mpg.
currently in accra self.. the sun one kill me
Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by ogawisdom(m): 7:54pm On May 14, 2015
abatically:

Pure lie it depends on d car mine gets to operating temp in 10min on a hot day n abt 15min on a rainy day/cold day.

Theory is different frm practical esp wen ur car is 10yrs n older n dts wat some ppl dnt kw

Am nt a party to double cell radiator stuff.

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by abatically(m): 8:10pm On May 14, 2015
ogawisdom:

Pure lie it depends on d car mine gets to operating temp in 10min on a hot day n abt 15min on a rainy day/cold day.

Theory is different frm practical esp wen ur car is 10yrs n older n dts wat some ppl dnt kw

Am nt a party to double cell radiator stuff.

With a single cell radiator, thermostat removed and fans spinning constantly u will get to operating temperature within 20 mins , but depending on the car, ur temperature might struggle stay there when u are cruizing on the highway at 120km/hr. It gets even worse when u have a double cell radiator installed as u might never get to that optimum temperature.

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by Kashif(m): 8:46pm On May 14, 2015
Interesting but ignorance-oriented thread.

2 Likes

Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:25pm On May 14, 2015
More reasons... From experts

Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 14, 2015
Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by billy187(m): 10:27pm On May 14, 2015
Readonee35L:

Lol you are saying 18mpg is actually worse

when my chevrolet venture with 3.4L V6 gives me 13-15 mpg
it had zero codes. engines run fresh , thermostat intact and no illegal connection
i have packed the ride for lik 7months now , it think the ecu is bad, wont crank.

my dodge srt8(sold) says 13 city / 19 highway from manufacturer .
but i gt like 11mpg city and 15 highway

my pilot gives the best mpg.
currently in accra self.. the sun one kill me

Heheee...da sun kill me finishgrin

Waaaoww...13-15 mpg? thats full-size pickup and suv territory. As for your SRT im not suprised 'cos its mandatory to drive that car with the pedal to the metal! grin

Anyways, for an econosedan with a 2.0. engine like my Focus, i kinda expect much better than 18mpg....maybe 24? What does ur Pilot get?
Re: The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria by Readonee35L(m): 11:09pm On May 14, 2015
billy187:

Heheee...da sun kill me finishgrin

Waaaoww...13-15 mpg? thats full-size pickup and suv territory. As for your SRT im not suprised 'cos its mandatory to drive that car with the pedal to the metal! grin

Anyways, for an econosedan with a 2.0. engine like my Focus, i kinda expect much better than 18mpg....maybe 24? What does ur Pilot get?
The sun no be Joke...

My pilot gives me 18mpg...
Infact i gt more mpg in accra Than lagos
I dont know why....

If urs is a 2.0l engine as u say u shud get at least 24-25
But i dont believe Default mpg figures its actually different in real life

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Borno, Home Of Peace: Can You Spot The Irony Of This Vehicle Number Plate? / What I Saw At NNPC Gas Station. / EFCC Auctions 435 Forfeited Vehicles In Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.