Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,737 members, 7,809,825 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:33 PM

Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. (17749 Views)

Buhari Rejects New CSO By DSS / Revealed: G7 Govs Can’t Leave Pdp Apc Rejects New Pdp Condition For Alliance / TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by earTHMama: 8:54am On Feb 09, 2009
UNIBEN defends appointment of Acting VC
From Alemma-Ozioruva Aliu, Benin

THE management of the University of Benin (UNIBEN) has declared as untrue allegations in some quarters that the appointment of Professor Uche Gbenedio as acting Vice Chancellor of the school had ethnic colouration.

A group, Concerned Edo Citizens, yesterday in Benin threatened to sue the Federal Government over the appointment of Gbenedio, arguing that due process was not followed in the appointment.

But speaking with The Guardian on phone yesterday, the school's spokesperson, Mr. Eddy Akpomera maintained that there was nothing ethnic in the appointment as there were precedents from similar institutions.

"The University of Benin is a Federal Government institution and we do not condone ethnicity. What happened in the University of Benin was the same thing that applied in other federal universities that the tenures of the Vice Chancellors elapsed. It is on record that in all the other universities, the Deputy Vice-Chancellors (Administration) were those that were appointed. That is the convention and precedent. The Minister appointed them after due consultation with the National Universities Commission (NUC). The same principle was applied at the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Usman Dan Fodiyo University, Sokoto and then UNIBEN. So, there was nothing that was done in UNIBEN that was ethnic. He or she just takes charge briefly until council comes and anybody who is interested applies. There is nothing ethnic in it, the University of Benin is a Federal Government institution," he said.

But the president of the Edo Citizens Group, Mr. Ralph Adeghe in a press conference urged the Federal Government to resort to due process in the appointment of an acting VC or risk court action. He accused the Minister of Education, Dr. Sam Egwu, of bringing ethnic sentiment into the appointment of Gbenedio.

They said Gbenedio was from the same Igbo ethnic extraction as the minister and the outgoing Vice Chancellor, Prof. Emmanuel Nwanze who is a Delta Igbo.

"The supposedly acting vice chancellor is from the east with the minister. This is another point that the minister is going to introduce tribalism into the Nigerian university system. We are totally against it. With what we have seen is the minister trying to support his sister against other contestants using his office and which is very wrong," he alleged.

Adeghe, who is a lecturer at the Igbinedion University, Okada said the action of the minister and that of Prof. Nwanze contradicted the spirit and letters of what a reputable institution like the University of Benin should be.

Meanwhile, the Students' Union Government (SUG) of the school institution has hailed the appointment of Prof. Gbenedio.

It also lauded the tenure of the out going vice-chancellor, saying the institution witnessed monumental growth during his tenure.

The president, Prince Harrison Ehimiyen, who addressed reporters in Benin City said: "So much has been said about the tenure of our amiable vice-chancellor. However, none of these can be as profound and important as the impact assessment by the students' community. We congratulate Prof. Gbenedio who has always been like a mother to all of us. We, therefore, call on all stakeholders to give her the maximum support and maintain peace on campus. The SUG will do whatever is necessary to sustain the atmosphere of peace that we have enjoyed on campus," he said.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/feb/7/13.html
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by earTHMama: 9:12am On Feb 09, 2009
I thought this should be a fed govt appointment?. What has indigene got to do with it?

1 Like

Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by udezue(m): 9:21am On Feb 09, 2009
useless ppl

1 Like

Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Nobody: 9:44am On Feb 09, 2009
earTHMama:

I thought this should be a fed govt appointment?. What has indigene got to do with it?

Until nigeria decides to shove federal character, quota system, nepotism and indigenization aside; the lost edo group have done nothing wrong.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by MaiSuya(m): 11:46am On Feb 09, 2009
nuzo:

Until nigeria decides to shove federal character, quota system, nepotism and indigenization aside; the lost edo group have done nothing wrong.

I hear you. I take it you'll have no problem with the appointment of a VC from Edo state to head any of the Universities in the East?
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by asha80(m): 11:50am On Feb 09, 2009
And yet we shout one nigeria.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by earTHMama: 11:55am On Feb 09, 2009
I hear you. I take it you'll have no problem with the appointment of a VC from Edo state to head any of the Universities in the East?
You obviously didn't understand his comment at all. Again, the Edo group were protesting the appointment of another igbo VC because the outgoing one is igbo.

1 Like

Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by meexteriox(m): 11:57am On Feb 09, 2009
What is more important in appointing a VC, is it the capability or ethnicity?
I thought UNIBEN was a federal institution?
This Edo Group should concern themselves with more biting issues in Edo state.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by earTHMama: 12:07pm On Feb 09, 2009
My dear, ethnicity is supreme in every Nigerian appointment even if they are appointing suicide bombers, some people will still complain they are being shortchanged.

1 Like

Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by JJYOU: 12:10pm On Feb 09, 2009
meexteriox:

and you missed this in the report  
But the president of the Edo Citizens Group, Mr. Ralph Adeghe in a press conference urged the Federal Government to resort to due process in the appointment of an acting VC or risk court action. He accused the Minister of Education, Dr. Sam Egwu, of bringing ethnic sentiment into the appointment of Gbenedio.
 is due process not yaradua's mantra?
earTHMama:

You obviously didn't understand his comment at all.  Again, the Edo group were protesting the appointment of another igbo VC  because the outgoing one is igbo.

why not have a federal institution that is having ijaws and itsekiris heading ibos and yoruba civil service?
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by earTHMama: 12:26pm On Feb 09, 2009
why not have a federal institution that is having ijaws and itsekiris heading ibos and yoruba civil service?

Because of population density, these two groups are bound to dominate these areas and obviously supply more human resources. It has nothing to do with who is more educated or whatnot. The hausas could not measure up because there was a gross exodus from school into the military for the purpose of maintaining power in the country. Most of them especially those in the hinterlands still believe Nigeria is and will continue to run the milito~cratic system which will assure them of their position in leadership.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by osisi2(f): 3:05am On Feb 10, 2009
The woman is Igbo married to  someone from edo or non Igbo delta.
Gbenedio is obviously not an Igbo name
They should get lost.

1 Like

Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Dede1(m): 3:24am On Feb 10, 2009
I would love to read the junks on this UNIBEN VC issue from few misguided individuals that usually contribute to this forum that Nigeria is everything but ill-advised colonial contraption.

1 Like

Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by bawomolo(m): 5:58am On Feb 10, 2009
Its said we can't create a national identity after close to 50 years.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by earTHMama: 7:43am On Feb 10, 2009
Its said we can't create a national identity after close to 50 years.
In Nigeria? Only when Kobojunkie becomes president in the next 30 years. That is if BecomeRich will allow Nigeria to remain in tact by then but I doubt it because he will bomb the whole place at this rate he's fuming with satellite infra red technology.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by naijaking1: 8:55am On Feb 10, 2009
UniBen. was obviously a federal institution with Bendel as catchment area. The creation of Delta doesn't mean that Igbos from Anioma would disappear into thin air, and thus unable to staff federal government institutions in their area. It's like stopping Prof Ikoku from becoming Vc of UNN because he was from Imo. Self serving politicians/lecturers like Aghede would stop at nothing to inject cheap tribalism into every sphere of Nigerian academic life.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by honeric01(m): 9:11am On Feb 10, 2009
Are you guys trying to tell me that there is not one person in Edo as an indigene that can fill into that position? why would 2 igbos be interchanging a position in a state that's not Igbo? It's an insult to the Edo citizens,

Afterall Nigeria is a place where everyone protects their territory, Can this happen in the east without the Igbos crying foul? undecided

6 Likes

Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by meexteriox(m): 9:35am On Feb 10, 2009
honeric01:

Are you guys trying to tell me that there is not one person in Edo as an indigene that can fill into that position? why would 2 igbos be interchanging a position in a state that's not Igbo? It's an insult to the Edo citizens,

Afterall Nigeria is a place where everyone protects their territory, Can this happen in the east without the Igbos crying foul? undecided

You are obviously not making any sense with your ''protect your territory'', tribalistic tantrums.
In a federal institution like UNIBEN, what is more important in appointing an individual to a position?
Is it the capability or ethnicity that counts?

1 Like

Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by earTHMama: 9:43am On Feb 10, 2009

Afterall Nigeria is a place where everyone protects their territory,  Can this happen in the east without the Igbos crying foul?
Is UniBen financed by Edo state or the federal government?. Are you telling me there are no schools someplace in Nigeria where an Edo person is the VC?. Edo people are known to dominate the police force. Many IG's, DPO's, police commissioners etc are from Edo state but they head police units in states that are many kilometers from their homeland. Should those communities cry foul and ask for their own indigenous cops instead of an Edo man?

1 Like

Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by meexteriox(m): 9:53am On Feb 10, 2009
earTHMama:

Is UniBen financed by Edo state or the federal government?. Are you telling me there are no schools someplace in Nigeria where an Edo person is the VC?. Edo people are known to dominate the police force. many IG's, DPO,s, police commissioners etc are from Edo state but they head the police units in states that are many kilometers from their homeland, should those communities cry foul and ask for their own indigenous cops instead of an Edo man?

I wonder ooooooooo
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by honeric01(m): 10:02am On Feb 10, 2009
earTHMama:

Is UniBen financed by Edo state or the federal government?. Are you telling me there are no schools someplace in Nigeria where an Edo person is the VC?. Edo people are known to dominate the police force. Many IG's, DPO's, police commissioners etc are from Edo state but they head police units in states that are many kilometers from their homeland. Should those communities cry foul and ask for their own indigenous cops instead of an Edo man?
  this comparison is way outta line, Police in Nigeria as we are know comprises of alot of ethnic groups and you get posted alot of times to different places, you don't get to be stucked to one position for a period of time, if truly edo people dominate police, why don't we have an edo man as the IG and AIG at present? the last 2 or 3 IGS and AIGS were never an edo man or woman so i don't subscribe to that example you just made.
  I still maintain, it sounds degrading and insulting to have someone from another tribe entirely being in the affairs of education in Edo state because it sounds as if edo people aren't intelligent enough to grace these positions, not just once, but it's been INTERCHANGED between 2 igbo people, that's what i am concerned about, nothing else.
  by the way, which federal university in Nigeria that has a benin man as their VC? especially in the EAST where they guard their schools and other positions religiously?

3 Likes

Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by earTHMama: 10:31am On Feb 10, 2009
by the way, which federal university in Nigeria that has a benin man as their VC? especially in the EAST where they guard their schools and other positions religiously?
Bayero University, I think had an Edo man as it's VC. The great Prof Eni Njoku(igbo) was the first VC of University of Lagos. Prof Umaru Gomwalk(Lantan/plateau) was a VC in UNN for over 6 years etc. So, suck it up.

Again, ask anybody, Edo state produces the highest number of supritendents of police in Nigeria. How many AIG's do you know anyway?
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Muza(m): 10:37am On Feb 10, 2009
em is this really u speakin,or smone hijacked ur username shocked
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by earTHMama: 10:39am On Feb 10, 2009
em is this really u speakin,or smone hijacked ur username
Why?
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Muza(m): 10:43am On Feb 10, 2009
cos u are speakin like an intellectual,bring up very sensible arguments,keep it up. grin
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by earTHMama: 10:43am On Feb 10, 2009
cos u are speakin like an intellectual,bring up very sensible arguments,keep it up.
malu. Don't let me start this morning. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Muza(m): 10:45am On Feb 10, 2009
haba em,pls dnt unleash ur tribal venom on me cry
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by honeric01(m): 10:47am On Feb 10, 2009
earTHMama:

Bayero University, I think had an Edo man as it's VC. Prof Eni Njoku(igbo) was the first VC of University of Lagos. Prof Umaru Gomwalk(Lantan) was a VC in UNN for over 6 years etc. So, suck it up.

Again, ask anybody, Edo state produces the highest number of supritendents of police in Nigeria. How many AIG's do you know anyway?
 you think? you think is not a definite answer sissy, well it seems you don't understand my stand here, what i'm saying is that the outgoing is an igbo man and the incoming is also an igbo man, it doesn't sound well and makes the whole thing look planned like it's being fixed.
 one more thing, please try as much as possible not to try bringing insults into deliberation or the discussion we are having, so please make this a matured one and leave insults outta it.
 How many IGS do i know? you don't ask me that because even if i don't know it, i can as well go and search for it, that still hasn't answered my question because police is not what we are talking about her, working in Nigeria as a police man has nothing to do with your intelligence and education. we are talking about education which has alot to do with brain and brilliance.

1 Like

Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by earTHMama: 10:48am On Feb 10, 2009
haba em,pls dnt unleash ur tribal venom on me
I hate tribalism and must uproot it anytime soon from it's bud.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Muza(m): 10:50am On Feb 10, 2009
are u saying that u are goin to commit suicide?
pls dnt do we still need u as an opposition in NL
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by earTHMama: 10:58am On Feb 10, 2009
you think? you think is not a definite answer sissy, well it seems you don't understand my stand here, what i'm saying is that the outgoing is an igbo man and the incoming is also an igbo man, it doesn't sound well and makes the whole thing look planned like it's being fixed.

Are you aware the woman is an acting VC pending when the university's senate will elect an official one?. Why whine over a temporal appointment in the first place?. Bear in mind they may elect another igbo man or yoruba man into that office. You should be asking for a good VC with vision irrespective of where he/she come from especially when the outgoing VC received accolades for a job well done.  

one more thing, please try as much as possible not to try bringing insults into deliberation or the discussion we are having, so please make this a matured one and leave insults outta it.
I am confused here. Who insulted you?

How many IGS do i know? you don't ask me that because even if i don't know it, i can as well go and search for it, that still hasn't answered my question because police is not what we are talking about her, working in Nigeria as a police man has nothing to do with your intelligence and education. we are talking about education which has alot to do with brain and brilliance.

You think police IG's and commisioners are odes, abi? I am talking of men and women with masters degree and not a krofo. If you think that an Edo VC must represent the university, you may recommend an Edo veteran professor that is willing to do the job and handle the clandestine boys well.  Just remember that with this type of politics you are introducing into the system, even if you get it, another trouble will start on whether a Bini man or eshan man  will be given the job and the school will degenerate slowly like  Ekiti state in due course because of intRA tribal wars. Is that what you want?. isn't things like these the cause of our woes in Nigeria?.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by CrudeOil2(m): 11:00am On Feb 10, 2009
Tribalism.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

EFCC Detains Badeh, To Hold Amosu Over Arms Deal / University Of Port-Harcourt Alumni Association Visit Jonathan / Buhari Appoints Ronke Shokefun From Ogun State As Chairman Board Of NDIC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.