Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,795 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. (17783 Views)

Buhari Rejects New CSO By DSS / Revealed: G7 Govs Can’t Leave Pdp Apc Rejects New Pdp Condition For Alliance / TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by cvibe: 7:55pm On Feb 10, 2009
Nigerians and tribes!

When our we going to start judging each other by place of residence rather than indigene?
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by toideve(m): 8:26pm On Feb 10, 2009
@udezue

your rude
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by saintson: 9:00pm On Feb 10, 2009
why are u guys overfloggin d horse.just get it dat dis is d norms.once d tenure of a vc ends,d next person dat takes the mantle of leadership is his or her deputy bt as an acting vc.i use unizik as a case study where d tenure of its vc prof ilochi okafor ended &his deputy prof egboka takes over as d acting vc.u may make enquiry.Now u are crying dat an igbo woman is an actin vc,wat wuld u now do if she becomes d VC.i leave dt que 2u mr tribalism.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by romeo(m): 9:07pm On Feb 10, 2009
They are backward people!!
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by onax: 10:51pm On Feb 10, 2009
@ honerico1
I followed your posts on this thread and man i agree with you all the way.

@ Earthma (sorry if i got that wrongly)
Its not just about tribalism but this is pure discrimination to the Edo people. not speaking from a bias view. I'm Deltan not Edo and this year would be my fourth year as a student in Uniben.
If you check through the top shots, as in lecturers and profs and people in admin(I'm speaking generally now) you'll find quite a large populace of igbo people.
, and don't tell me they got there by merit. Nwanze was very instrumental in bringing and ensuring the rise of many igbos; more above the edo indigene lecturers and staffs in the school.

and as for those people praising Nwanze so much, let them first ask why he was busy fooling outsiders with the beauty of external gates, when the uniben hostre in a mess. As i write this, my department has no class. We receive our lectures in labs, thats crap, thank God, by His grace i'm leaving there this year.

let them also ask him about the not well accounted money of over 150million naira that made staffs to go on strike for a week last year 2nd semester.

igbos are flooding a vicinity that is supposed to be dominantly Edos. Its not tribalsim, but how Nigeria is. If an o would become VC,, why not just let them become state governor of Lagos.

I'm sure all yourubas in the house go shout one time "NEVER", and at this stage of our democracy,,, i agree with them.

, So, an Igbo VC in the great University Of Benin:::::::::::::::::: Definately not a very bright idea, And I frown against such motion angry
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by d7thcaller: 10:52pm On Feb 10, 2009
Hey guyies,
It still surprises me to read how some people reason over issues in this 21st century.Guy's come on ,we should grow up.
This is education we are talking about here and not politics or any other stuff.
Whether is an ibo,hausa ,yoruba benin etc man/woman that becomes the VC it should not matter.What is important is what can the person offer,what is he or she made of? ect.People from Nigeria hold highly placed positions in Foreign Universities and no body is complaining.Besides that Uniben is a FED univ.
We should also think outside the box and reason objectively.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by ebogentle(m): 10:57pm On Feb 10, 2009
Wait, i dont get it. So the problem is not that she's not qualified. Just that she's Igbo. My God!!!! Are we talking about an institution of higher learning or are we talking about a local Govt? Those "concerned , what do they call themselves" need to go get a university education again. That is if they ever did b4. This is dissappointing oooooooo. So a new VC is appointed to the Federal University in my town and  the first thing that i want to find faulty with the VC is tribe or gender And not the experience he/she brings to the office??Mchew!!!
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by asha80(m): 11:01pm On Feb 10, 2009
@ honerico1

Its not just about tribalism but this is pure discrimination to the Edo people. not speaking from a bias view. I'm Deltan not Edo and this year would be my fourth year as a student in Uniben.
If you check through the top shots, as in lecturers and profs and people in admin(I'm speaking generally now) you'll find quite a large populace of igbo people.
, and don't tell me they got there by merit. Nwanze was very instrumental in bringing and ensuring the rise of many igbos; more above the edo indigene lecturers and staffs in the school.

and as for those people praising Nwanze so much, let them first ask why he was busy fooling outsiders with the beauty of external gates, when the uniben hostre in a mess. As i write this, my department has no class. We receive our lectures in labs, thats crap, thank God, by His grace i'm leaving there this year.

let them also ask him about the not well accounted money of over 150million naira that made staffs to go on strike for a week last year 2nd semester.

igbos are flooding a vicinity that is supposed to be dominantly Edos. Its not tribalsim, but how Nigeria is. If an okoro would become VC,, why not just let them become state governor of Lagos.

I'm sure all yourubas in the house go shout one time "NEVER", and at this stage of our democracy,,, i agree with them.

, So, an Igbo VC in the great University Of Benin:::::::::::::::::: Definately not a very bright idea, And I frown against such motion
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by AloyEmeka9: 11:10pm On Feb 10, 2009

It amazes me that you could not discern sarcasm from compliment. Unless you meant it is a joking stuff or you have an axe to grind with mamaearth.

Racism is a misguided misnomer that found comfort zone in the stream of thoughts amongst ignorant fellows. There is only one race on earth and it is human.

Tribalism, though, not any operative word in grammar has become a de-facto expression for people who will push and feel that their tribe is (primus interferes) first among equals.
Or that people’s tribal group is more equal than other tribal group
Mazi, leave TPIA alone. Her case has gone nuclear. Even the Musa guy they called malu understood it was a joke couples with the emoticons beside it but TPIA being a maniac will only see red in comments like that. Chineke ekweela ife ojoo. I just hope that Osisi will hook her up soon enough so we may drink cold water here.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by asha80(m): 11:13pm On Feb 10, 2009
In Nigeria? Only when Kobojunkie becomes president in the next 30 years. That is if BecomeRich will allow Nigeria to remain in tact by then but I doubt it because he will bomb the whole place at this rate he's fuming with satellite infra red technology.

grin grin grin
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by AloyEmeka9: 11:17pm On Feb 10, 2009
Why is Nigeria filled with so many tribalist fools? I swear, I really feel like punching those "Concerned Idiotic Whatever" in the face!

As long as so many illiterate tribalist scumbags remain in Nigeria, there is no hope for meaningful development.

Look at all of us (except those rubbish Republicans) smiling about a black man being president of a predominantly white nation - the most popular superpower on God's green earth, yet maggots disguised as humans are complaining about an Igbo VC in UNIBEN?!
Ask them oh. It's a problem in every sector in Nigeria. I read earthmother cite Prof Eni Njoku. May be she forgot that Eni  Njoku ran after his 1st tenure because the yorubas in Unilag said they can't live and watch an igbo man rule this university again. Same thing happened to Pius Okigbo [ the brother to the great poet, christopher okigbo] at Ibadan. I am sure they have a simialr thing at UniZik sometime ago. It's an unending cycle that will only be broken by the younger generation if they so wish otherwise, Nigeria will remain in it's dire state. We need nationalists like Wole Soyinka to reinvigorate and hype the younger generation to abandon this stupid tribal war and face reality.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Baro(m): 11:33pm On Feb 10, 2009
As an Alumini of the great University of Benin, and a confirmed Bini boi, I think i have some firsthand information about this issue of Uniben "Vcship" let me grace the thread with my own contribution. Firstly I must confess that this issue is agelong and very complicated, but i will just try to provide some facts that would give fellow Nairalanders a better insight to what is going on.

University of Benin was founded over 35 Years ago.

It is a Federal institution based in Ugbowo Benin City, Edo state.

The institution was founded when it was Bendel State, then Delta State was part of Bendel State.

Hence Uniben is regarded as belonging to both Edo and Delta states.

Edo State is made up of the Binis,(they comprise 70% of the state, both landmass and population), the Ishans, the Etsakos, the Owans, the Akoko-edos, and a sprinkle of Ijaws.

The Binis are the inhabitants of Benin where the University is located.

It is specifically the Binis that is protesting over the appointment of the V.C and not the whole Edo state.

Since Uniben was Established, it has had atleast 5 V.c's

An Ishan man has Been V.C, An Itsekiri has been V.C, an Anioma Man(Delta Ibo) has been V.c, An Urhobo has been V.c

But the Bini man who hosts the institution has never been Vice Chancellor of the University of Benin.

That is, none of the over 5 V.C'S have been an indigene of Bini, what this means is that since the University of Benin was founded, an indigene, a son of the soil has never been found fit to be made Vice Chancellor, this is the grouse of the Bini's, and this is the crux of the matter.

Is it that for over 35 years no Bini Man has been found to be qualified or worthy to occupy the position of V.C? This is a fact that those tagging it as tribalism do not know; i.e an institution has been in your backyard for decades and you have never been in control of same institution? Other people come from far and near, and rule over you, for almost forever?

If the Binis have had one or even half tenure as Uniben V.c and they were agitating like they are now, then anyone could justifiably say, "ah! these bini people sef are tribalists, na only dem wan be V.C", but a Bini man has never been V.C, not even for one day. For those harping on tribalism, let me make it clearer, there is a gulf of difference between the Bini's wanting the position of V.C permanently zoned to it and them wanting to have a "first taste" of same position. In my opinion, it is even the Binis that have been oppressed overtime, or which Federal University has never had an indigene of it's host ethnic group as Vice Chancellor? Is it Ife, ABU, UNN, or Unilag? So the protest is not against Igbos per se, neither is it against the person of the Acting V.C : Prof Mrs Gbenedio, but it points to the fact that a Bini Vice Chancellor is long overdue for the University of Bini (Pun intended) I hope you guys get the picture.

I wholeheartedly endorse the agitation.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by comfort3: 11:39pm On Feb 10, 2009
Bini people are very backward. embarassed
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by udezue(m): 11:42pm On Feb 10, 2009
To toideve,

My bad I meant to say MORONIC PEOPLE.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by udezue(m): 11:47pm On Feb 10, 2009
VC position is about qualification not ethnicity. If these moronic people want to introduce tribalism into our education system then cheiiii we got more problems than we even think. My mom was the ZC of WAEC and had Anambra, Enugu and Benue state under her control and she did a damn good job. FYI she is not from those states except Anambra and that is only coz her family from Arochukwu migrated to a town over there. My father is from Anambra. The next ZC that replaced her was from the same Ajali town in Anambra state. No one cried fowl that na only Anambra ppl wey get dat position that period.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by AloyEmeka9: 11:49pm On Feb 10, 2009
Since Uniben was Established, it has had atleast 5 V.c's

An Ishan man has Been V.C, An Itsekiri has been V.C, an Anioma Man(Delta Ibo) has been V.c, An Urhobo has been  V.c

But the Bini man who hosts the institution has never been Vice Chancellor of the University of Benin
These people were VC's in their home states when it was Bendel state, right?. While it will be a good thing if an indigene becomes a VC but it's not a must because it's a federal institution.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by MaiSuya(m): 11:51pm On Feb 10, 2009
onax:

@ honerico1

igbos are flooding a vicinity that is supposed to be dominantly Edos. Its not tribalsim, but how Nigeria is. If an o would become VC,, why not just let them become state governor of Lagos.

I'm sure all yourubas in the house go shout one time "NEVER",  and at this stage of our democracy,,, i agree with them.

, So, an Igbo VC in the great University Of Benin:::::::::::::::::: Definately not a very bright idea, And I frown against such motion angry

As an alumus of the institution, I can corroborate much of what onax has said. The much talked bout ranking that uniben was said to have attained was mainly due to the commencement of the online paymant system, as far back as 2005, and not due to any particular improvement in facilities. I might add that the process was actually championed by the then deputy VC Prof OKhamafe (an edo indigene), and not Nwanze.

BTW, I would like to know where the present deputy VCs are from.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by ebogentle(m): 11:51pm On Feb 10, 2009
@Baro, I understand your sentiments. But can you see that there's something unhealthy about it?? I dont know but i feel so. First you have listed up to 4 indigenes who were VCs with the exception of the Binis. You presented it like it was designed to do just that. And the way you use the "first taste" thingy, makes it sound like, Anywayz, i still think it is unfortunate that academic appointments have become "just another political office"

I 'd like to know , for example, what the fringe benefits are  to a tribe if one of their own is appointed to the vice chancellorship of a federal University. Anyone?
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by okunoba(m): 11:52pm On Feb 10, 2009
from Abagworo
If merit were used in everything,i wouldnt be surprised if igbos end up occupying everywhere.uniben was just recently voted the best university in nigeria under the IGBO V.C. I think, that coupled with inputs by soludo,akunyili and others simply makes a statement.so all edo folks should be proud of this man that has elevated their varsity to the top.again,a lot of igbos(my family inclusive) believe that their ancestor came from benin so we are all one.

Dear Abagworo
Comments like this keeps us divided. If merit was used in Nigeria, leadership will come from all parts of Nigeria not just from Ibo people. U don`t need to big up your ethnic group to the detriment of others. Advocating Ibo supremacy only breeds anger and resentment. No wonder Benin people are suspicious of an Ibo taking over from another Ibo as the vc of uni Ben especially when the person making the appointment is Ibo. I am sure most Ibo`s would have been screeming if a northerner was replacing another northerner as the vc of Nsuuka univ. We would have been hearing about how Ibo`s have been marginalised and another excuse to demand for Biafra statehood. Funny that those that share the spoils always complain and those that are really marginalised in Nigeria,  like Benin people hardly ever complain.

1 Like

Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by udezue(m): 11:53pm On Feb 10, 2009
LOL the sad thing about these moronic people is that they forgot Igbanke people of Edo state are Igbos so why are they mad an Igbo person got the position? Even if there are no Igbo natives of that state what is their business in that department? Mayne the pettiness of these people is so stupid.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by AloyEmeka9: 11:55pm On Feb 10, 2009
LOL the sad thing about these moronic people is that they forgot Igbanke people of Edo state are Igbos so why are they mad an Igbo person got the position? Even if there are no Igbo natives of that state what is their business in that department? Mayne the pettiness of these people is so stupid.
The woman in question is not igbanke, she is Anioma. If left to me, I will prefer an indigene because it MAY promote development in the university much better than an outsider. Although this rule doesn't follow in every case because local govt chairmen still steal from their constituency.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by udezue(m): 11:58pm On Feb 10, 2009
The point I'm making is that they are talking like as if there are no Igbos in Edo. Igbos also reside in Edo including the natives and non natives. but anyway even if the VC is from Bayelsa it shouldn't matter as long as he is qualified.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by MaiSuya(m): 12:01am On Feb 11, 2009
udezue:

If there was a Benin indigene at UNN who, strictly based on merit, ought to be the next VC, do you think he/she will get the appointment? I think you know the answer to that. So WTF are you yapping about?

1 Like

Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by udezue(m): 12:03am On Feb 11, 2009
shut the fuckup. He should get the appointment at UNN if he is qualified. I will support him well well. I don't reason like an idiot.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Finally: 12:04am On Feb 11, 2009
Baro:

As an Alumini of the great University of Benin, and a confirmed Bini boi, I think i have some firsthand information about this issue of Uniben "Vcship"  let me grace the thread with my own contribution. Firstly I must confess that this issue is agelong and very complicated, but i will just try to provide some facts that would give fellow Nairalanders a better insight to what is going on.

University of Benin was founded over 35 Years ago.

It is a Federal institution based in Ugbowo Benin City, Edo state.

The institution was founded when it was Bendel State, then Delta State was part of Bendel State.

Hence Uniben is regarded as belonging to both Edo and Delta states.

That is the huge misconception that  led to the protest in the first place.  I had always regarded Uniben as a Federal institution and I dont think that status has changed.

Umaru Gomawalk was the VC of UNN for a number of years and nobody said a word.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Baro(m): 12:11am On Feb 11, 2009
Finally:

That is the huge misconception that led to the protest in the first place. I had always regarded Uniben as a Federal institution and I dont think that status has changed.

That is not he issue, the issue s this: Which Federal University has never had an indigene of it's host ethnic group as Vice Chancellor? Is it Ife, ABU, UNN, or Unilag?
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by debosky(m): 12:14am On Feb 11, 2009
Baro:

That is not he issue, the issue s this: Which Federal University has never had an indigene of it's host ethnic group as Vice Chancellor? Is it Ife, ABU, UNN, or Unilag?
That is a redundant argument. Why must they have an 'indigene' as VC before they are satisfied? Nigerians are very silly when it comes to some of these matters. Executive power is NOT what all the focus should be about.

Universities should be meritocracies - if an indigene is the best qualified, by all means appoint the indigene, but DON'T appoint an indigene simply because of national character - we have enough of that destroying other institutions in the country.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Finally: 12:19am On Feb 11, 2009
Baro:

Ur argument is intrinsically flawed.

Are U going to make any Tom, manliness and Harry VC just to satisfy some narrow-minded folks? Show me another academician that is more qualified than the VC elect and I will start picketing right behind U.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by AloyEmeka9: 12:20am On Feb 11, 2009
That is a redundant argument. Why must they have an 'indigene' as VC before they are satisfied? Nigerians are very silly when it comes to some of these matters. Executive power is NOT what all the focus should be about.

Universities should be meritocracies - if an indigene is the best qualified, by all means appoint the indigene, but DON'T appoint an indigene simply because of national character - we have enough of that destroying other institutions in the country.
Gbam. You said it all.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by AloyEmeka9: 12:22am On Feb 11, 2009

UNN is located in Enugu state and the university is yet to have an Nsukka indigene as it's VC. I am not sure they have an Enugu indigene as a VC before. Never.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by okunoba(m): 12:39am On Feb 11, 2009
quote from finally

dear finally,
was Umaru  replaced by another northerner? Did Benin people complain about the previous Ibo VC? No. They are complaining now because another Ibo as been appointed by a fellow Ibo. If a Yoruba education minister replaced a Yoruba VC of Nsuka univ with another Yoruba man, as a Yoruba man who is  free of ethnic sentiments, I would definitely question the decision, unless i believed in Yoruba supremacy.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Finally: 12:46am On Feb 11, 2009
As long as the VC elect is the best qualified to handle the job at that time in question, who gives a shit where he/she is from.

U guys should start saying something that makes sense and quit making circular arguments.

I have told Baro and I am telling U this too, challenge the lady's competence and not her ethnicity. If there is a reason(s) to believe that other VC hopefuls were more competent and qualified than she is , lets hear it. If not , hold ur peace.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

2019 Polls: Fear Buhari’s Govt, Obasanjo’s Coalition Tells Nigerians / Prophet Muyideen Kasali: Atiku, Try Running For Presidency One More Time / EFCC Arraigns Ismaila "Mompha" Mustapha On A New ₦6 Billion Fraud Charge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.