Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,209 members, 7,818,707 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:27 PM

Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? (2512 Views)

Is Proposing Marriage Over The Phone Silly? / Must A Man Kneel While Proposing ? / Wow This Lady Is Proposing To Her Man. So Sweet! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by nex(m): 10:18am On May 14, 2015
I have noticed this trend all over Nigeria right now. Men who want to propose marriage to a woman kneel down to ask for the woman's hand in marriage. It has nothing to do with us, our way of life, or our culture, but is something that was transmitted from the Western world. The ladies especially have taken this seemingly romantic gesture from the Hollywood movies, and feel it is necessary for a man to kneel to them, especially in a public place, in order to get at least a positive answer.

What do you think about this? Is it simply a romantic stunt which men should go the extra length in showing, or is it now compulsory for an African man to kneel down when asking his beloved to marry him?

Re: Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by TheSonOfMark(m): 10:27am On May 14, 2015
Is it compulsory for African men to even put a ring on women's fingers? Is it compulsory for African men to even practise monogamy?

You know the most beautiful thing about culture in its universality? IT IS DYNAMICsmiley.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by TheSonOfMark(m): 10:30am On May 14, 2015
donbenedict:
See dis op, is it a black man dats kneelin down while proposin in the pic? Ode
You don't have to insult him to make your point(s)smiley.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by Nobody: 10:34am On May 14, 2015
You see, I have a problem with you guys always complaining of Western culture this blah blah blah fvcking blah.

You claim to be African, and claim to be following African culture but you put on western clothing. You speak western language. You eat western food. You use western technology. You drive western cars. You listen to western music day and night. African musicians copy western style of music, and you dance. You use facebook, twitter and everything western. You even drink western medicine when ill.

But then, when it comes to romance, appreciating that special woman in your life and making her smile by proposing to her in a way she'll never forget, you hypocrites suddenly become africans?!

I'll propose to my woman the way I deem fit. It's only once in our life. She deserves to be proposed to, in a special way. If she's happy, I'm happy. If going down on my fvcking knee and scraping it and drawing blood is what would make her happy, I'll gladly do it. She means the world to me, and how I show my love and appreciation for her is actually none of anyone's business.

If you want to be a full african man, do not be hypocritical about it. Follow and imbibe the african culture, tradition, and way of life to the letter. . .

3 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by OYAY(m): 10:37am On May 14, 2015
It is the magnanimity of the man,is not compulsory even it is not a norm or culture of the white you referring to to always do that it is just sign of respect and humbleness on the man's side.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by rottennaija(m): 11:31am On May 14, 2015
What if you kneel and she says no? What happens then? Me I won't kneel oo

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by SuperSuave(m): 11:43am On May 14, 2015
[size=14pt] *thinking*[/size]
Re: Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by SuperSuave(m): 11:46am On May 14, 2015
[size=14pt] *thinking*[/size]
Re: Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by QueenSharon(f): 11:58am On May 14, 2015
It is not compulsory but it is Romantic. Also, a personal thing.
nex:
I have noticed this trend all over Nigeria right now. Men who want to propose marriage to a woman kneel down to ask for the woman's hand in marriage. It has nothing to do with us, our way of life, or our culture, but is something that was transmitted from the Western world. The ladies especially have taken this seemingly romantic gesture from the Hollywood movies, and feel it is necessary for a man to kneel to them, especially in a public place, in order to get at least a positive answer.

What do you think about this? Is it simply a romantic stunt which men should go the extra length in showing, or is it now compulsory for an African man to kneel down when asking his beloved to marry him?
Re: Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by Nobody: 11:58am On May 14, 2015
depends . . .
Re: Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by donbenedict(m): 2:23pm On May 14, 2015
TheSonOfMark:
You don't have to insult him to make your point(s)smiley.
and u don't have to quote me to remind me abt it!
Re: Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by Kingsley1000(m): 2:42pm On May 14, 2015
Depends on what you are proposing with,if it's ring you have to..but if it's car,just fling the key,she ll be the one knelling

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by Nobody: 3:46pm On May 14, 2015
Kingsley1000:
Depends on what you are proposing with,if it's ring you have to..but if it's car,just fling the key,she ll be the one knelling
u just said my mind
Re: Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by ronald4lif(m): 3:48pm On May 14, 2015
Kingsley1000:

You nailed it bruv. grin
Re: Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by Nobody: 4:05pm On May 14, 2015
Kingsley1000:
cool
Re: Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by Nobody: 4:10pm On May 14, 2015
Blackett:
You see, I have a problem with you guys always complaining of Western culture this blah blah blah fvcking blah.

You claim to be African, and claim to be following African culture but you put on western clothing. You speak western language. You eat western food. You use western technology. You drive western cars. You listen to western music day and night. African musicians copy western style of music, and you dance. You use facebook, twitter and everything western. You even drink western medicine when ill.

But then, when it comes to romance, appreciating that special woman in your life and making her smile by proposing to her in a way she'll never forget, you hypocrites suddenly become africans?!

I'll propose to my woman the way I deem fit. It's only once in our life. She deserves to be proposed to, in a special way. If she's happy, I'm happy. If going down on my fvcking knee and scraping it and drawing blood is what would make her happy, I'll gladly do it. She means the world to me, and how I show my love and appreciation for her is actually none of anyone's business.

If you want to be a full african man, do not be hypocritical about it. Follow and imbibe the african culture, tradition, and way of life to the letter. . .
C'mon! The fact that we wear western clothes and all those stuffs doesn't mean we shouldn't be sensible enough to separate the chaff from the wheat.
I agree with your opinion though @topic.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by limolalikamaila: 4:22pm On May 14, 2015
Me no get time for all dose paparazzi, I may even propose try Bbm or whatsapp chat self.

She be my pastor ?
Re: Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by Nobody: 6:06pm On May 14, 2015
iAmCharis:
C'mon! The fact that we wear western clothes and all those stuffs doesn't mean we shouldn't be sensible enough to separate the chaff from the wheat.
I agree with your opinion though @topic.
What makes kneeling down to propose to the woman you claim to love, Chaff?

I guess you also use western CONDOMS, no?
Re: Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 14, 2015
Blackett:
What makes kneeling down to propose to the woman you claim to love, Chaff?

I guess you also use western CONDOMS, no?
If you read my quote properly, I wrote I agree with your opinion as regards the topic.
Re: Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by 50calibre(m): 6:58pm On May 14, 2015
Lool I discovered that shi*t too. grin Africans are so inferior in their thinking pattern, Hollywood movies and TV shows are doing a job of brainwashing many Africans.

I don't have to propose kneeling down, kudos to those who do but I don't see myself doing that. It is a western culture which is understandable given that fact most white men are typically effeminate, docile and subdued by their women.

However it's a sacrilege for a testosterone-filled black man like me to kneel before a woman. Kneeling down to propose implies she's doing me a favour which is totally not the case.

The willingness to get married to that person is what matters, not the proposal.
Re: Is It Compulsory For African Men To Kneel While Proposing Marriage? by Nobody: 7:28pm On May 14, 2015
50calibre:
Lool I discovered that shi*t too. grin Africans are so inferior in their thinking pattern, Hollywood movies are TV shows are doing a job of brainwashing Africans.

I don't have to propose kneeling down, kudos to those who do but I don't see myself doing that. The kneeling down thing is a western culture which is understandable given that white men are typically more effeminate, docile and subdued by their women.

However it's a sacrilege for a testosterone-filled black man like me to knee before a woman. Kneeing down to propose implies she's doing me a favour which is totally not the case.

The willingness to get married to that person is what matters, not the proposal.

Kneeling down is deep seated tradition based some substantial crucial sentimental tales thru humanoid history.

If anything, upholding this tradition is something africans should understand more than so called westerners-afterall, Africans specialize in traditions

(1) (Reply)

Pic: Guys, What will you do next? / Wetdreams Plus Female Roommate. / I Sent Her Home..am I Wrong ??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.