Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:02 AM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (109) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (249204 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 10:28am On Feb 11, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
I started having doubts about Oliseh from the very moment he "mishandled" the "Enyeama" matter.

I knew it was only a matter of time before he and the NFF have clashes.

I still don't think Oliseh is the right man for us BUT I'm still "watching" things.

And I've never trusted the NFF. Why do you think they're reluctant to fire him? Oliseh was their choice and firing him now will mean they were "stupidly" wrong in hiring him in the first place. After all, they got rid of Keshi and installed a new messiah whom they now make a "scapegoat" out of.

When the legendary Westerhof spoke against Oliseh's appointment and his records with the Super Eagles..... Some thought Westerhof was just being troublesome.

Both Oliseh and the NFF are a big joke..... I'm on no one's side in this fracas. I just want our football rescued from these clowns-in-action.

Until then, we have an Afcon qualifier to execute and somehow, Oliseh is still Super Eagles head coach so he needs to be supported until he's no more on board (if the NFF finally find the balls to fire him).

Nigerian football will surely outlive this nonsense.

He has serious anger management deficiency and must quickly work towards it. The worst of it all is his inability to accept constructive criticism coming from even people that rejoiced when he was made the coach of the S.E.

Coach Sunday Oliseh must not only apologize to Nigerians and the NFF alone, but to Stephen Okechukwu Keshi also, for he was always using his sports analysis to pull down the name of Keshi, it became a personal hatred for the then Coach.

The way he is going about his job, I so much doubt if his backroom staff and players can respect him

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:07pm On Feb 11, 2016
You people should all take the shiiiiiiit!!! You all insighted Keshi before and after he Won us the AFCON after 19 years. You all treated Stephen Keshi as if he never desired any respect. Now you all want to get respect from Oliseh right All you wanted was Keshi's sack so take it. Take all the Shiiiiiiiit and jabs Sunday Oliseh throws at you.

You messiah is here, go work with him. Must he be purnished? All of you should just resign, besides there are so many Nigerians who are ready to take up that job (even myself).
See this people oooo! who do you want to threaten self?

[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh Insanity Attack: NFF Technical-Committee Members Resign En Masse
[/size]

THE Technical Committee of the Nigeria Football Federation, made up of such eminent Nigerians like Christian Chukwu, Paul Bassey, Victor Ikpeba, Mutiu Adepoju and Garba Lawal have resigned their appointments.

We gathered that they resigned en masse following what they described as the mishandling of the Sunday Oliseh’s case by the NFF President, Amaju Pinnick. After the now infamous “insane” attack on Nigerians by Oliseh on YouTube, the NFF had referred the case to the Technical Committee to recommend penalties to be meted out to the loquacious coach.

It was reported by Vanguard that the Committee after exhaustive deliberations were utterly disappointed that Pinnick jettisoned their report and instead ran to the Youth and Sports Minister, Barrister Solomon Dalung who saved the embattled coach by asking for a second chance for him.

“The Committee recommended for his outright dismissal after they agreed that he had violated his contract”, our source said.
Contacted last night, Chairman of the Technical Committee, Barrister Chris Green confirmed the development but said that he was working hard to ensure that the “wise” men rescind their decisions.

“It is true that they are not keen to work again but I am prevailing on them to think twice because of their love and passion for the game and patriotism for the country. They cannot be treated with levity. They are heavyweights on their own and they are not paid a dime for their services”, Green said.

The Technical Committee have not had a smooth relationship with Oliseh after the coach said he had nothing to do with them when they queried him following a dismal outing in CHAN.
A member of the Technical Committee who was visibly angry with the handling of the Oliseh case said that the coach would mess up Pinnick.

“If they fail to take punitive action on him, he’ll mess them up. The problem is with Amaju (Pinnick) because he wants to please everybody. They gave him (Oliseh) the job on sentiment and that is the result. As for me, I can’t stay to watch him insult the Technical Committee. We all played for this country and deserve respect”, the source, who does not want his name in print, said.
Source: http://thewhistler.ng/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=2614:oliseh-insanity-attack-nff-technical-committee-members-resign-en-masse&Itemid=2103
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:15pm On Feb 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Apology not enough! Pinnick spits back at Oliseh
Posted By: Adeniyi
[/size]

NFF President, Amaju Pinnick.

Sunday Oliseh’s Youtube rant was of a seismic proportion to the Nigeria Football Federation as the President, Amaju Pinnick lamented the deep rift Sunday Oliseh’s Eight-minute rant has divided the house.

In an interview posted on the FA’s Youtube space, Pinnick describes the 41-year-old’s gaffer’s outburst as ” quite needless, quite unnecessary and rather very unfortunate” and a major distraction to Nigeria’s build up to the 2017 Afcon qualifiers against Egypt.

” Actually we received a letter from from Mr. Sunday Oliseh, apologizing for his outburst which was quite needless, quite unnecessary and rather very unfortunate. It’s not just about receiving a letter of apology, a lot of people were hurt, a lot of people are very upset about his outburst which they feel is a major distraction considering the fact that we have a major, major two header against Egypt; one of the top teams in Africa.

” So, its not just seeing a letter of apology and accepting it, now we need to make some repairs, make some fence mending, we need to talk to various stakeholders that were directly or indirectly affected by his rantings for example, SWAN – SWAN is soo mad.”

” SWAN has been a major platform for building football and Sports generally in Nigeria. So, we need to appeal to SWAN, we need to appeal to their conscience, we need to make them understand that it is all about Nigeria. After SWAN we need to appeal to the Technical Committee, they’ve done a thorough job, they wrote a simple letter requesting for a report and the response was rather appalling. They feel so slighted, they feel soo hurt and of course they feel even betrayed by us, so we need to appeal to them.

” Look at the caliber of people in the Technical Committee, you have Mutiu Adepoju, Christian Chukwu, Victor Ikpeba, Danladi, Fresh as the vice chairman and then my Brother Green. Shuaibu Amodu, these are people that contributed immensely to the development of the game; on and off the field of play.

” We need to appeal to the members of the Nigeria Football Federation and to the backroom staff that were called names, and ensure that frayed nerves are calmed. We also have to appeal to the Ministry, to the Honorable Minister because if you are abusing the Nigeria football federation you are also abusing the Nigerian Government because we are an arm of the Nigerian government; we’re tied to their apron strings. Appeal to the financiers and sponsors, that is the kind of dilemma we are in right now,” Pinnick said.
http://footballlive.ng/footballnews/9ja-news/apology-not-enough-pinnick-spits-back-at-oliseh/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:19pm On Feb 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
NFF Technical Committee members Immature – Elumelu
[/size]

The NFF Technical Development Committee was inaugurated on Friday.
Posted By: Adeniyi

Former NFF Technical Committee member, Austel Elumelu has described the reported resignation of some members of the recently reconstituted committee as immature.

There have been suggestions the said members resigned over polar views on Sunday Oliseh, after last weekend’s YouTube rant.

In a chat with footballlive.ng Elumelu suggested the committee have acted rashly to get Oliseh out.

‘ It will be immature for members to resign. I also share in their sentiment that an employee can rescind an appointment; but one good reason can give way to a better one.

‘ When trees fall on top each other, the topmost is removed first. It is not good When somebody rants, perhaps does things seen in bad light by the employer, then you want to remove him immediately. For the Chief Coach to be ranting something must caused it.’
http://footballlive.ng/footballnews/9ja-news/nff-technical-committee-members-immature-elumelu/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:43pm On Feb 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria will struggle to qualify for the World Cup - Odegbami
[/size]

By Shina Oludare

The former Nigeria international has predicted that Sunday Oliseh’s men would find it tough to reach the 2018 Fifa World Cup Russia owing to the quality of players the Super Eag...
Former Nigeria international Segun Odegbami says the Super Eagles must navigate a tortuous World Cup qualification process to book their place at Russia 2018.

Sunday Oliseh’s men return to action in March when they face Egypt in a make or break African Cup of Nations qualifier before continuing their qualification process for the World Cup later in the year.

According to the former national team skipper, the country does not have the caliber of players that can make the qualification process a less sweltering one.

“Nigeria does not have the players,” Odegbami told media. “Just a few are emerging that starts to give us hope. I think we might still qualify for Afcon.

“To qualify for the World Cup is going to be extremely difficult this time. And if we do, we will be very lucky. That is my own view.

“I think within the next three to four years then we might have a proper Super Eagles if we do things right. If we look into our domestic league, develop it properly, arrange for our players or support them so that they can go to the right environment, for training.

“Give them all the motivation they need, take care of them and we pray for luck, then we would have a true national team. But for now, we are still not there.”

Commenting on coach Oliseh’s video outburst on YouTube, the 1980 Africa Cup of Nations winner also advised the tactician to learn how to handle matters maturely rather than engage in ventures that could affect his focus.

“As you know, I’m one of the biggest advocates, supporters of Oliseh to become the coach of the national team,” he continued.

“I have never seen him coach before, but I believed in his intellect. I heard him, I read him and I was a witness to his life as a football player. I was his team manager to Tunisia 1994, I was his manager to the World Cup in 1994, so I know him very well.

“I felt that the years would have tempered him so that with all the qualities that he has he would make a very good national team coach.

“So I supported him and he has started but he has stumbled and I hope that he would steady himself, bring himself up again and justify the confidence that we reposed in him.

“His character that we thought must have been tempered came to the fore again. But I know that he is an older person, he is a matured person and he would have learnt from this last experience and not allow it to repeat itself. Once those words come out of your mouth, you can’t take them back. So you don’t allow anger or frustration to determine words that come out of your mouth,” he added.

“Rather, when you occupy such a position, you have to be very patient, you have to answer critics, you have to answer to Nigerians because they don’t have patience. You have to keep drumming it into their ears that you need time while you are doing your work.

“Otherwise I think Sunday Oliseh is a good guy, a brilliant commentator, analyst, he understands the game of football, he was excellent as a player and when you add all of these ingredients together, he has the possibility of being a great coach. This is his opportunity to become a great coach,” he concluded.
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/17252/super-eagles/2016/02/11/20243402/nigeria-will-struggle-to-qualify-for-the-world-cup-odegbami?ICID=HP_HN_1
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:53pm On Feb 11, 2016
Orkpekyandega:
You people should all take the shiiiiiiit!!! You all insighted Keshi before and after he Won us the AFCON after 19 years. You all treated Stephen Keshi as if he never desired any respect. Now you all want to get respect from Oliseh right All you wanted was Keshi's sack so take it. Take all the Shiiiiiiiit and jabs Sunday Oliseh throws at you.

You messiah is here, go work with him. Must he be purnished? All of you should just resign, besides there are so many Nigerians who are ready to take up that job (even myself).
See this people oooo! who do you want to threaten self?

[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh Insanity Attack: NFF Technical-Committee Members Resign En Masse
[/size]

THE Technical Committee of the Nigeria Football Federation, made up of such eminent Nigerians like Christian Chukwu, Paul Bassey, Victor Ikpeba, Mutiu Adepoju and Garba Lawal have resigned their appointments.

We gathered that they resigned en masse following what they described as the mishandling of the Sunday Oliseh’s case by the NFF President, Amaju Pinnick. After the now infamous “insane” attack on Nigerians by Oliseh on YouTube, the NFF had referred the case to the Technical Committee to recommend penalties to be meted out to the loquacious coach.

It was reported by Vanguard that the Committee after exhaustive deliberations were utterly disappointed that Pinnick jettisoned their report and instead ran to the Youth and Sports Minister, Barrister Solomon Dalung who saved the embattled coach by asking for a second chance for him.

“The Committee recommended for his outright dismissal after they agreed that he had violated his contract”, our source said.
Contacted last night, Chairman of the Technical Committee, Barrister Chris Green confirmed the development but said that he was working hard to ensure that the “wise” men rescind their decisions.

“It is true that they are not keen to work again but I am prevailing on them to think twice because of their love and passion for the game and patriotism for the country. They cannot be treated with levity. They are heavyweights on their own and they are not paid a dime for their services”, Green said.

The Technical Committee have not had a smooth relationship with Oliseh after the coach said he had nothing to do with them when they queried him following a dismal outing in CHAN.
A member of the Technical Committee who was visibly angry with the handling of the Oliseh case said that the coach would mess up Pinnick.

“If they fail to take punitive action on him, he’ll mess them up. The problem is with Amaju (Pinnick) because he wants to please everybody. They gave him (Oliseh) the job on sentiment and that is the result. As for me, I can’t stay to watch him insult the Technical Committee. We all played for this country and deserve respect”, the source, who does not want his name in print, said.
Source: http://thewhistler.ng/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=2614:oliseh-insanity-attack-nff-technical-committee-members-resign-en-masse&Itemid=2103
[/b]

These guys should Chill. Haba. Coach Oliseh messed up big time but it is time to move on.

It is not by force to coach the coach. You guys review and keep submitting your report. Sacking Coach Oliseh means paying him over N100 million. Salary and bonuses have not been paid.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:12pm On Feb 11, 2016
I always back Nigeria no matter what and it won't change now. All this becomes irrelevant when the teams take the field. I also believe now with a much humbled oliseh we will select a strong team and win both legs. Isaac Success is a must and bring back Leon Balogun.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 8:39pm On Feb 11, 2016
Hehehehehe.. read somewhere that enyeama posted a pics of the National Team line up at the abs stadium kaduna and captioned it.. "wish this match never took place.. "

and I was like... dude is regretting every bit of his actions right from criticizing the abs stadium to disrespecting oliseh...

maybe he taught he will be missed not knowing that ikeme the Saviour is there anytime anyday... (thanks to his heroic saves)..

lessons.. never think u are the only one that can do the job.. cos soldier go.. soldier come

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:40pm On Feb 12, 2016
[size=14pt]
Super Eagles’ Jamiu Alimi Joins Kano Pillars
[/size]
By Johnny Edward:
Kano Pillars have signed Super Eagles defender Jamiu Alimi for an undisclosed fee after he agreed personal terms, the player has informed Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

The 24-year-old will join ‎Mohammed Baba Ganaru’s side in Ijebu Ode where they are currently preparing for the forthcoming season.

‘I’m delighted to have moved. I can’t wait to get started now,” Alimi told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

“As soon as Pillars showed an interest, I knew that was the one big clubs I wanted to play for in Nigeria.”

Alimi who featured in two of the three games for the Home Eagles at the just concluded African Nations Championship in Rwanda had previously featured for Sharks Football Club and Shooting Stars of Ibadan.

He has five international caps to his name.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/super-eagles-jamiu-alimi-joins-kano-pillars/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:44pm On Feb 12, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Shola Ameobi Joins League One Side Fleetwood Town
[/size]
[img]http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/shola-ameobi-signs-short-term-bolton-deal/[/img]
Former Nigeria international Shola Ameobi has sided for League One side Fleetwood Town till the end of the season.

According to bbc.co.uk, the former Newcastle forward joined Fleetwood Town after Bolton Wanderers were unable to offer him a new deal.

The 34-year-old could make his debut for Fleetwood Town when they travel away to Port Vale this weekend.

Fleetwood's manager Steven Pressley, expressed his delight following the signing of Ameobi.

"In January we signed a number of younger players and it was vital to the group that we brought in a player with experience," Pressley said.

"We certainly couldn't get anymore experience than Shola and we are absolutely delighted with that."

Ameobi spent time in Turkish side Gaziantep BB and Crystal Palace before joining Bolton Wanderers.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/shola-ameobi-joins-league-one-side-fleetwood-town/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:58pm On Feb 12, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh: Eagles Can Handle Egypt’s Salah, Our Target Is 4 Points From 6
[/size]
[img]http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/oliseh-resumes-next-week-to-recall-haruna/[/img]
Completesportsnigeria.com's JOHNNY EDWARD gets Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh talking about the imporant‎ things you need to know concerning the national.

With less than five weeks to the all important 2017 African Cup of Nations qualifier against Egypt, Oliseh states in this exclusive interview that he is targeting at least four points from the double header. He is also ‎upbeatabout the form of his players across Europe ahead of the crucial encounters against Egypt.

Excerpts……
Ahead of the 2017 game against Egypt in Kaduna, how much do you know about the current Egypt team led by Hector Cuper?

Well, firstly, I will want to seize this opportunity to apologize to
those who misunderstood my earlier messages and also to thank those who sent in their messages of understanding in spite of the comments.

Ahead of this match, what we know of the Egyptians is that they are crafty and technically good and for us to do well, we have to start early. And that is why we have started working on assembling the team ahead of the game.

The Egyptians have played two friendlies against Jordan and Libya last month and are scheduled to face Burkina Faso next month in another friendly ahead of the double header against Nigeria.
Won’t your team be engaging in any buildup match?

We are still looking at the possibility of playing a game before the match against Egypt, but I must admit it’s giving me a lot of concern because many of our players that we will use for the game are majorly based in Europe. So it’s a bit difficult as their clubs won’t release them for the supposed friendly game. We will be creative enough to get match conditions in training from our players before the game. We are going into this game with our very best to win it, by the grace of God.

The Pharoahs boast at least two prominent stars in Mohammed Salah and Mohammed Elneny. How will your team handle them?

We all know Salah’s strength. He’s a player who is brilliant releasing other players with quality passes from the right flank. He’s good in one on one situations, and can hurt any team. But we equally have‎ players to handle such situations. What we need to do is to be proactive and not be reactive because they will come to Kaduna to soak us in and get away with a point.

Are you confident that the Eagles can get at least four points from the qualifying games versus Egypt?

It’s not a question of being confident, that’s our objective out of a possible six points. I have worked with the home-based players and they know‎ how we play, so for that reason I have to do the other part with the Europe-based players. I will be going to watch some of our players in action,‎ but I will be starting with those here in Belgium to see those who are ready for the game. The players are all aware of the task.

Hector Cuper has begun the mind games. He was recently quoted that he already has his starting line-up for the game in his mind, which means he is ready for Nigeria. Can that be said of you and your team?

Of course but we will approach the game differently without much fuss.

Will you be adding new players to the squad?

It’s possible because we have a couple of them. There are about two to three players I’m looking at and I have to see first-hand if they are better than the ones we have been using, but it’s very possible we see‎ some.

Also two of your players, Kelechi Iheanacho and Ogenyi Onazi if invited for the crucial game, will play for their respective teams on Sunday 19th of March and may hit camp latest Monday evening, giving them just one day to train with their teammates. How do you intend to shuffle your pack ,barring any unforeseen circumstances?

Well, I have been in talks with the majority of the players and I am happy with the level of preparedness and feedback I am getting from them. We will ensure that they are in good conditions to represent the country at optimal level.

Let's talk about England, where the trio of John Mikel Obi, Odion Ighalo and Victor Moses are all performing well for their respective teams. How big of a boost is this to the. Super Eagles' preparation for the game against Egypt?

Believe me this is what a coach prays for. It’s better to have
problems choosing who to start than not to have any at all.

The one that gladdens me most is that Obi MIkel is playing regularly for Chelsea and that means his fitness will be better than what he had before which is a boost for us.

And as regards confidence, he has it more now with the way he plays.

Read more: www.completesportsnigeria.com/oliseh-egypt-are-crafty-our-target-is-4-points-out-of-possible-6-2/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:29pm On Feb 12, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Kalusha Bwalya: African Football In Healthy‎ State; We Should Now Reach W/Cup Semi-Finals
[/size]
Complete Sports' radio show, Sports Planet has been speaking with Zambian football legend, Kalusha Bwalya, about his glittering careers as a player and as an administrator. Interview by TUNDE KOIKI. Excerpts …

SPORTS PLANET: I’m here with another great African legend and former African footballer of the year, Kalusha Bwalya. Thank you for joining us.

KALUSHA BWALYA: Thank you for having me and how are you doing?

Very well. How have you been with your family, your career, your football administration, I mean how have you been generally?

KALUSHA: I’ve been okay, God has been kind to us. I started on this journey a long time ago and for me, football is my life and motivation. I must support football and my family members understand me, travelling all the time in the name of football, what can one do?

Being with Zambian football as the chairman of its football Association, it’s always important to bring out good programs and also that our teams are participating and I’m happy to report that we have representation at every tournament. We were at the Under-17 tournament in Niger, Under-20 in Senegal last year.

We were also at the African Cup of Nations and we’ve always been present there. We were at the Under-23 competition in Senegal back again and even before that, we had some major success which is unprecedented in Zambian history where women’s football had the girls representing us at the FIFA Women’s World Cup in Costa Rica.

The women also participated at the African Women’s Championship in Namibia for the first time. So far, so good, I think that we are on the right path.

How would you describe African football in general as of today?

African football has progressed so much. I came into African football as a player, not as a fan. As a fan, if you think about the seventies, where African football was and I count myself as a football player coming from being a student in the eighties before I joined the main league, I mean a lot of things have happened.

Been on the road with the Zambian National team from 1982 until the year 2000, I mean it’s a long road, a total of 18 years.

From then, I think that we have seen accelerated development, the pitches are much better, they are no longer like those dangerous pitches we used to play on in those days. The home ground advantage did prevail back then but today, we play in modern stadia all over where we have matches and the turfs are wonderful. This helps African players who play their club football in Europe a lot as the pitches back home in Africa too are wonderful. The players are ready to play good football whether they are in Ghana, Senegal, Guinea, Nigeria, Morocco, Egypt, we have good fields everywhere, all around.

So, infrastructure has developed, the commercial part has developed, the African Cup of Nations today is a tournament that you can see far and beyond.

The CHAN, a tournament for African football players based on the continent which just ended, people kept calling us from far away America and the Middle East to show you how impressed they are with African football. So, here we are in a healthy state, however, we can’t sit on our laurels, I think that we still have to improve.

Yes, there is good football being played, better administration, we have better administrators in Africa all round, our competitions are healthy, people want to win games, our players have emancipated, they are playing everywhere and they come back, having made names for themselves. So, yes, we are in a healthy state.

Away from CAF and good football in Africa, talking about FIFA, how would you describe the recent scandal in FIFA?

For me, it’s difficult because it pains me as an individual that has contributed to the game and also being a member of FIFA sub-committee since 2004 and so, yes, it’s difficult to describe. It’s been difficult months but hopefully, once the election passes, a new breath of fresh air will come to prevail. It’s difficult to see a situation where especially, somebody like Sepp Blatter is involved after giving forty years of service to FIFA but we owe it to ourselves to uphold the good name of football.

Football is fair play, football is our life, it’s our wellbeing, we hope that the waste is behind us so that we can move on, hold hands so as to continue with the development and also, its aspiring nature as a game, the games that we enjoy to see, the football that we see. I hope that is the thing people will remember and hope to see in the future that football is remodeled and we can show the best of football in the world.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/kalusha-bwalya-african-football-healthy%E2%80%8E-state-now-reach-wcup-semi-finals/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:34pm On Feb 12, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Julius Aghahowa: 5 Things Super Eagles fans miss about him
Imhons Erons
[/size]

Julius Aghahowa, born 12 February 1982 is 34 years old today. The former Nigerian international popularly known as ‘Agha-wonder’ due to his knack for scoring out-of-the-ordinary goals left many footballing loving fans countless memorable moments before calling it quits with the beautiful game in April 2013.

SoccerNet Nigeria highlights the things fans have found difficult to forget about the bullish striker.

1. Aghahowa’s pace
Not only was the Benin-born striker full of pace, he was also incredibly strong and hard to shake off the ball. While he was a bit technical and could protect the ball when passed to his feet, his preferred move was to launch the ball forward and have him chase after it. Very few defenders could match him stride for stride.

2. His back-flips when he scores goals
Aghahowa only scored 14 goals for Nigeria’s senior national team in 32 games but every single one of those was celebrated with several back flips. And fans loved the sight of him doing it. No other Super Eagle had ever tried it before him and the likes of Taiye Taiwo, Obinna Nsofor and Obafemi Martins only took after him.

3. His time in Ukraine
At a time, Julius Aghahowa was Nigeria’s biggest export to Ukraine as he painted their league red with goals. Fans loved to read about his scoring exploits, which appeared to come in every week.

And it was no surprise when he became the first foreign national outside of the former Soviet Union to emerge among the best scorers in the Ukrainian Premier League.
He would spend six years playing forShakhtar Donetsk.

4. Aghahowa’s goal at the World Cup
Of the 14 goals that the former Bendel Insurance targetman netted for the Super Eagles, the most memorable has to be the headed-stunner against Sweden at the 2002 World Cup.

Sandwiched between two defenders and the goaltender, Aghahowa ran courageously to a Joseph Yobo cross to head home a beautiful goal. It was Nigeria’s only goal at the tournament and Aghahowa’s only strike at a World Cup. Sweden won the game 1-2 but Aghahowa had given the world a glimpse of his pretty back-flips.

5. Nigeria’s late equalizer against Senegal The 2002 African Nations Cup was Aghahowa’s debut tournament for the Super Eagles and it was where he earned the love and trust of most Nigerians. Aghahowa emerged Nigeria's top goal-scorer at the tournament scoring three of the Super Eagles’ 5 goals in Mali.

The most unforgettable of which was that last gasp leveler against theTeranga Lions. Racing to a hopeful punt forward, which appear well shielded by a Lion, Aghahowa managed to smuggle himself between the defender and the goalkeeper and poke the ball into the net, in the 89th minute.

From Yobe to Yenogoa, fans erupted in jubilation. Sadly, Nigeria would go on to lose the game in extra time.

We join fans all over the world to wish Aghahowa a Happy Birthday!!!
www.soccernet.com.ng/2016/02/julius-aghahowa-5-things-super-eagles.html
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:42pm On Feb 12, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Moses set for Nigeria return
By: George Akpayen
[/size]

Victor Moses

Troubled Nigeria head coach, Sunday Oliseh, has included Victor Moses in his programme for the 2017 Afcon qualifying match against Egypt billed to hold in Kaduna next month.

Moses, who is on loan to West Ham United from Chelsea, is yet to play for Nigeria since Oliseh became manager in July last year following the sack of Stephen Keshi.

Administrative sources have told supersport.com that the 25-year-old attacking winger will be recalled for the Africa Cup of Nations double-header with Egypt.

It is understood that Oliseh has got in touch with the former Crystal Palace man for the clash with the Pharoahs.

"Victor Moses is one of those listed to make a return to the Super Eagles. He has been in good shape and the coach said he has spoken to him and a number of other top players for the game against Egypt," a supersport.com source informed.

Moses has had to stay away from international football following injury issues in the past year.

However, he recently restated that he remains "committed" to play for the Nigerian men's national team.
ng.supersport.mobi/football/super-eagles/news/160212/Moses_set_for_Nigeria_return
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:44pm On Feb 12, 2016
[size=14pt]
Michael Babatunde Scores On Raja Casablanca Debut
[/size]

Michael Babatunde was on target for Raja Casablanca on his official debut for the Moroccan Botola Pro side in their 1-1 draw with FUS Rabat on Friday night in the league.

Yusupha Njie gave the table-toppers the lead in the46th minute before the Super Eagle restored parity for the Greens at the half-way mark of the second half.

On 66 minutes, the attacking midfielder outpaced his marker before blasting a left-footed shot past the goalkeeper.

Fellow Nigeria international Osaguona Ighodaro is still recovering from injury and did not take part in today’s game at Stade Mohamed V (Casablanca).

Raja Casablanca, who sit eighth on the table with 19 points, are guests to Kawkab Marrakech next weekend.
www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=17895

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:23am On Feb 13, 2016
[size=14pt]
Moses Simon Doubtful For Gent Champions League Tie Vs Wolfsburg
[/size]

KAA Gent winger Moses Simon is doubtful for the Belgian champions’ UEFA Champions League clash against Wolfsburg on Wednesday on account of injury.

In the 28th minute of Friday’s Pro League tie with Mouscron-Péruwelz , the Nigeria national-teamer had to make way for Mbark Boussoufa after clashing with an opponent.

The winger will undergo tests this weekend to determine the extent of injury and if he will travel with the squad to Germany.

Against Mouscron-Péruwelz, Simon was given much freedom in attack and would have given Gent the lead in the second minute but fluffed his chance.

Of his 29 appearances for Gent across all competitions this term, 3 were in the Champions League, against Lyon, Valencia and Zenit St Petersburg.
www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=17894
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:25am On Feb 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Alex Iwobi Officially Promoted To Arsenal First Team
[/size]

Nigeria international Alex Iwobi will no longer feature for the Under-21 team of Arsenal, as he has been officially promoted to their first-team.

The Gunners manager, Arsene Wenger, announced ahead of Sunday afternoon’s Premier League clash with Leicester City that he won’t be loaning out the forward before the end of this season, with the emergency loan window opening for business three days ago.

Jeorge Bird has reported that Iwobi will keep his number 45 jersey for the rest of this campaign but will be allocated a lower squad number before the start of next season.

The 19-year-old has featured in every single competition for the Gunners this season- the Champions League, Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup, racking up eight appearances in the process.

Having extended his contract in October 2015, the Hale End Academy product is now tied to Arsenal until summer of 2020.
www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=17893
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:30am On Feb 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
On Loan Chelsea Defender Kenneth Omeruo Excelling at Kasimpasa
[/size]

Kenneth Omeruo joined the army of Chelsea loanees to flood the footballing market over the summer. A grand total of 32 players have been loaned out across Europe but the Nigerian international probably ranks among the most successful performers out of the lot so far this season.

The 22-year-old defender has established himself as a key member of the best performing defensive side in the league at Kasimpasa

The Istanbul minnows defensive solidity has been a contributing factor to their success in the Super League. Kasimpasa have conceded the fewest goals despite operating on a budget incomparable to the big four – Besiktas, Galatasaray, Fenerbahce,
Trabzonspor– and are competing for a third-placed finish. The club based just a short distance from Taksim square is currently just three points behind joint third placed fellow Istanbul sides Galatasaray and Basaksehir.

Omeruo has managed to hold down a regular starting position when injury-free. The 28-cap Nigerian international has had a few injury problems which is one of his main worries considering he also had groin troubles at Middlesbrough last season.

Omeruo first shot to fame helping Nigeria win the Africa Cup of Nations aged 19 and was tipped to be the successor to John Terry.

The Chelsea legend could be on his way out this summer but Omeruo will have competition from Kurt Zouma, Kalas and Christensen as his replacement.

Also Kasimpasa have an option to buy at the end of the league campaign which could see him remain in Turkey for the foreseeable future.

The Nigerian international averages 1.8 tackles and 2.6 interceptions per-game. Omeruo is also strong in the air and manages to keep his concentration throughout the 90 minutes rarely making costly errors. In-fact he has not been dispossessed once and averages just 0.2 unsuccessful touches per-game according to Opta. The Kasimpasa star may be just 22-years of age but he plays with the maturity and composure of a player 10 years his senior.

The young defender is one of the star performers in a side that could end realistically up finishing the league with a place in Europe.

For a side of Kasimpasa’s stature it would be almost the equivalent of winning the league.

Omeruo is undoubtedly one of the best performing young defenders in the league and it would not be a surprise to see him attracting a lot of interest over the summer.
www.turkish-football.com/on- loan-chelsea-defender-kenneth- omeruo-excelling-at-kasimpasa/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:46am On Feb 13, 2016
[size=14pt]
Exclusive : Bundesliga Club Make Move For Portland Timbers Striker Fanendo Adi
[/size]

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that Portland Timbers star Fanendo Adi could depart the Major League Soccer club in the summer transfer window.

Representatives of an unnamed Bundesliga club have approached the attacker’s intermediary over the possibility of moving to Germany at the end of the 2015-16 season.

Fanendo Adi initially joined Timbers on loan from FC Copenhagen before he was acquired on a permanent basis in June 2014.

The 25-year-old was linked with the likes of Celtic,Rubin Kazan, Shanghai SIPG, Cardiff City, Werder Bremen and Sporting Lisbon in the January transfer window.
www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=17891
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:51am On Feb 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
NFF Supremo Pinnick Impressed With Ighalo, Etebo, Osimhen & Chikatara
[/size]

The NFF President Amaju Pinnick has appealed to Nigerians to believe in the leadership of the Nigerian Federation and has stressed that the national team can achieve an appreciable level of success on the pitch if all stakeholders are working in unison.

Pinnick pointed out that several talents abound in the country and reserved special praise for Watford striker Odion Ighalo, who has set the Premier League alight this season, and Abia Warriors poster boy Chisom Chikatara.

“We can do it, I have that strong feeling that we can do it, we can not only qualify for the World Cup but get to an appreciable level in the World Cup because we have the talents,” said Pinnick.

“Look at what Ighalo is doing in England, look at what Chikatara did, look at what Etebo did in the U23, look at what Victor did in the Under-17.

“Look at the various strata that if you harmonize this, don’t you think Nigeria can win the World Cup.”

The Super Eagles will face North African powerhouse Egypt in an African Cup of Nations qualifiers double-header next month.
www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=17888
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 10:52am On Feb 13, 2016
Orkpekyandega:
[b][size=14pt]
NFF Supremo Pinnick Impressed With Ighalo, Etebo, Osimhen & Chikatara
[/size]

The NFF President Amaju Pinnick has appealed to Nigerians to believe in the leadership of the Nigerian Federation and has stressed that the national team can achieve an appreciable level of success on the pitch if all stakeholders are working in unison.

Pinnick pointed out that several talents abound in the country and reserved special praise for Watford striker Odion Ighalo, who has set the Premier League alight this season, and Abia Warriors poster boy Chisom Chikatara.

“We can do it, I have that strong feeling that we can do it, we can not only qualify for the World Cup but get to an appreciable level in the World Cup because we have the talents,” said Pinnick.

“Look at what Ighalo is doing in England, look at what Chikatara did, look at what Etebo did in the U23, look at what Victor did in the Under-17.

“Look at the various strata that if you harmonize this, don’t you think Nigeria can win the World Cup.”

The Super Eagles will face North African powerhouse Egypt in an African Cup of Nations qualifiers double-header next month.
www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=17888
[/b]
it seems ighalo is in love with Jesus... I wonder how the guy cope with most of his unreligious teammates..

dudes will be like.. " man keep that crap to urself"
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:06am On Feb 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh fears for 'on-and-off' Victor Moses
[/size]

Victor Moses - Will he be available or not for Nigeria next month?

Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh has insisted he will delay his choice of players like Chelsea loanee Victor Moses for next month’s all-important AFCON double-header against Egypt to be sure they will be available for the match.

Injury-troubled Victor Moses, who is on loan to West Ham from Chelsea, has not played under Oliseh since he took charge of the Eagles in July 2015, but he is now believed to be in the team’s plans as Nigeria pull all the stops to ensure they beat Egypt in Kaduna on March 23.

“Victor Moses is doing well, but he is always on and off, injured…okay…injured…okay…,” complained Oliseh.

“We will pick players who are fit and doing well, but we will only do that just about the time we will invite the players because what if I have a player on my head now and just when we will invite, he is injured or has some problems?”

The Eagles boss also disclosed he has not ruled out some new faces for the Egypt matches.

“It’s very possible (to call up new players) because this game is one we want to go with all the artillery we have,” he admitted.

“Everyone who is doing well knows he will be considered for selection.”

Egypt lead the AFCON qualifying group with six points after two rounds of matches, while Nigeria are second and two points behind with only the group winners guaranteed automatic qualification to the Nations Cup to be staged by Gabon in January 2017.
mtnfootball.com/news/610897/Oliseh-fears-for-on-and-off-Victor-Moses
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:11am On Feb 13, 2016
krattoss:
it seems ighalo is in love with Jesus... I wonder how the guy cope with most of his unreligious teammates..

They can't try it na.
If you notice, Ighalo commands some special regards from the his coaching crew to the players, down to the fans.
So who is that nigga not to respect your faith?

Your faith and religious gymics can only be questioned when you have nothing or too little to offer.
Definitely not Ighalo.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:21am On Feb 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Iheanacho Set For Spurs Cracker, Enyeama In Line Of Fire
[/size]
By Sulaiman Alao:
IHEANACHO SET FOR TOTTENHAM CRACKER
Nigerian international, Kelechi Iheanacho, will be looking to play a part in Manchester City’s crucial Premier League home game against title-chasing rivals Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday at the Etihad Stadium. Iheanacho played as a second half substitute for Fabian Delph last weekend when the Citizens lost 3-1 at home to league leaders Leicester City. The result was a set-back for the Manuel Pellegrini-led side in their title aspirations and they will be desperate to make amends against Spurs who on their part rallied to a 1-0 home win against a hardfighting Watford side last week.

Sunday’s clash will see Manchester City, who have dropped to the 4th position in the league table with 47 points, try to make home advantage count against Tottenham who have overtaken them on the log and currently sit in the 2nd position with 48 points.

With season surprise team Leicester having opened a 5-point lead atop the league table, both Man City and Tottenham will be going all out for the maximum points in order not to fall further behind a Leicester side who on their part will be going on the road against another title aspirants and 3rd-placed Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium.

Iheanacho’s profile has risen tremendously this season and he has arguably become the most-improved Nigerian player in Europe this term. The 19-year old forward who got promoted to the Citizens’ first team at the start of the season has made the best use of his limited opportunities playing mostly as substitute in the star-studded team. And with star players like Samir Nasri, Kevin De Bruyne, Jesus Navas and Wifried Bony still out injured, Iheanacho has enjoyed more play-time and has also been listed for the club’s Champions League outings.

City therefore go into this crucial tie with a depleted side but that will be no excuse against Spurs who not only enjoy a better form but will be at the Etihad with the full complement of their squad including Harry Kane with 15 goals and new sensation, Dele Ali with 7 goals not to mention the likes of Dembele, Erickson, Lamela and others. But the visitors need to be wary of City’s Argentine star, Sergio Aguero who on a good day can single-handedly turn a game on its head as well as the ingenuity of midfield combination of Yaya Toure and David Silva.
Finally, Spurs should also be wary of Iheanacho!

KAYODE PRIMED FOR DERBY CLASH IN AUSTRIA
Nigerian youth international Olanrewaju Kayode, is set to return to the starting line-up for Austria Wien when they play host to city rivals Rapid Wien at the Generali Arena tomorrow. The 22-year old former Flying Eagles star is back to full fitness having recovered from the ankle injury he suffered in a game against Wolfsberger before the Winter break.

Kayode, currently with 8 goals to his credit for the Austrian Bundesliga side featured for the whole duration of the game in his side’s 1-0 away win against Grodig in a league match last weekend but was rested Tuesday in a Cup game that saw Austria Wien beat visiting team, Lask Linz 1-0.

Tomorrow’s Bundesliga fixture will see the two sides who are based in the city of Wien take to the field in a derby cracker what will also see them battle for league supremacy. Austria Wien are currently 2nd on the league table with 38 points after 21 matches while Rapid Wien are just below them in the 3rd position with 37 points – so much at stake for the two title chasing teams who are currently trailing Salzburg who sit atop the league table with 40 points.
More to come.............
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:26am On Feb 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt].
[/size]AKPALA LEADS OOSTENDE AGAINST BRUGGE

Super Eagles forward, Joseph Akpala will be leading the attacking line for KV Oostende when they welcome league leaders, Club Brugge to the Albert park stadion for a Belgian Pro League game.

Oostende suffered a slump in form of recent, going 4 games without a win but they returned to the winning ways last weekend after beating host team, Lokeren 1-0.

Despite Oostende poor form, they still remain 4th on the league table with 43 points but they face a difficult home game against Club Brugge who are riding high on top of the log with 52 points after 25 games – a clear 9 points separating the two teams.

Besides, Club Brugge go into this tie on superb form having won their last 5 league games.

Akpala currently has 5 goals to his credit for Oostende and even though he is not the club’s leading scorer with Gohi Cyriac and Knowledge Musona having 11 and 10 goals to their credits respectively, coach Yves Vanderhaeghe should still be banking on the Nigerian international’s experience to lead the forward line against a Brugge side who also boast of potent attackers like Abdoulay Diaby with 11 goals, Jelle Vossen with 9 strikes and Tuur Dierckx with 5 goals.

Aside from Akpala, 19-year old Saviour Godwin also plies his football trade with Oostende as a striker with one goal in four games while Club Brugge also has 22-year old midfielder, Mikel Agu who has featured in just 2 games in their ranks

ENYEAMA IN LINE OF FIRE!
As Lille take on high-scoring PSG
Former Super Eagles skipper and goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama indeed faces a daunting task today when he file out with Lille in an away fixture that pitches them against high-riding PSG and that’s putting it mildly.

The hard fact is that Enyeama will be in an un-enviable position between the sticks as he will be trying his best not to conceed an avalanche of goals from a PSG forwardline that parade lethal strikers like Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Edison Cavani, Angel Di Maria as well as Loucas Moura – the quartet of whom have combined to score 46 of PSG’s 63 goals so far this season.

PSG remain the undisputed champion-designate in the French Ligue 1 having gone unbeaten since the start of the league campaign and currently sit atop the league table with 69 points – a massive 24 points ahead of second placed Monaco with 45 points while Enyeama’s Lille are way down in the 15th position with 30 points.

Lille failed to make home advantage count last weekend as they ended up sharing the points with Rennes in the game that ended 1-1 while PSG dispatched Lorient 3-1 with league top scorer, Ibrahimovic accounting for 1 of the goals to bring his total haul to 21. Enyeama is Lille’s first choice goalkeeper and has starred in 22 of his club’s 25 games where Lille had scored 20 goals and also conceded 20.

ALUKO TACKLES AKPAN IN PROMOTION RACE
As Carl Ikeme eyes promotion play-off with Wolves
The race for promotion to the Premiership is heating up in England with a number of Nigerian internationals in the fray for their respective Championship clubsides. Super Eagles forward, Sone Aluko will be in the line-up for Hull City when they go on the road trip to the Ewood Park today to take on Blackburn Rovers who will also be lining up another Nigerian international, Hope Akpan.

Hull City are currently 2nd on the 24-team league table with 56 points, a point behind leaders Middlesbrough, and are forging ahead in the promotion race while Blackburn are no-hopers, sitting way down in the 18th position with 31 points. Aluko has starred in 17 of Hull’s 29 games and has 1 goal to his credit while Akpan has featured in 25 matches with 2 goals to his name.

Elsewhere in the Championship, Eagles goalkeeper Carl Ikeme, will also be in goal for Wolverhampton when they play host to Preston North End today at the Molineux Stadium. One point currently separates the two teams with Wolves sitting in the 11th position on the table with 40 points while Preston are 14th on the log with 39 points. Wolves are pressing towards finishing in the top-6 to earn a promotion play-off ticket.

Ikeme has kept the goal 18 times for Wolves this season and the 29-year old shot-stopper who is gradually inching his way to become Nigeria’s first choice goalkeeper is expected to be called up for Nigeria’s crucial African Cup of Nations qualifier against Egypt next month.
[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:28am On Feb 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt].[/size]TIT BITS… TIT BITS…
Isaac SUCCESS: The Nigerian youth international will be leading the attacking line for his Spanish La Liga side, Granada when they go on the road trip against Real Sociedad tomorrow. Success played for 90 minutes last weekend as Granada put up a spirited fight at home against visiting Real Madrid who eventually ran away 2-1 winners.

Granada are currently fighting to avoid relegation and Success currently has 4 goals to his credit in 21 games for the side.

Batholomew OGBECHE: The 2002 World Cup star for the Super Eagles will be starting his third game for his new Netherlands Eredivisie side, Willem II in a home tie against De Graafschap today. Ogbeche had previously scored 9 goals for his former team, Cambuur before switching to Willem II during the January transfer window and will be expected to score the goals to help the team currently 15th on the 18-team table avoid the relegation at the end of the season.

Peter Odemwingie: Back to fitness Super Eagles forward will be looking to feature for Stoke City as they travel to take on Bournemouth today. The 34-year old featured as a 62nd minute substitute when Stoke lost 0-3 at home to Everton last weekend.

The former Lokomotiv Moscow forward has featured in only 5 games for Stoke this term due to injury but is looking to end the season on a strong note in order to secure the additional 12-months extension option on his contract.

Victor ANICHEBE: The self-exiled Super Eagles forward will be hoping to feature more for West Brom having featured and did well in the 1-0 loss away to Newcastle United last weekend.

The Baggies face a more difficult opposition today when they again travel on the road to Goodison Park to take on Everton and if Anichebe gets to play against his former club, it will be his 7th league game for the coach Tony Pulis-led team who has managed only 3 draws in their last 5 games.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/iheanacho-set-for-spurs-cracker-enyeama-in-line-of-fire/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:49am On Feb 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Babatunde Relishes Debut Goal For Raja Casablanca
[/size]
[img]http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/michael-babatunde-joins-dnipro/[/img]
By Johnny Edward:
Raja Casablanca winter acquisition,Michael Babatunde is delighted to be the hero for his side on his debut after he rescued a point in their 1-1 draw with FUS Rabat on Friday night in the league.

Babatunde skipped past his marker before blasting a left-footed shot past the goalkeeper in the 66th minute of the encounter after Yusupha Njie gave the table-toppers the lead at the restart of the second half.

An excited Babatunde revealed that ‎he could have bagged a brace on his debut but was satisfied with his performance on the night.

"Though I got plaudiits from my coach I think I shouldhave scored more but for the brilliance of the goalkeeper," the 2014 World Cup star began in a chat with Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

"Match-fitness wise I'm becoming sharper‎‎. I'm getting close to my best and I hope I can offer more in the next game," the Nigerian international said.

‎He is expected to feature next weekend against KawKab Marrakech but it remains to be seen if his compatriot Osaguona Ighodaro who is still recovering from injury will be fit enough for the trip away.

He was ruled out for 15 days prior to the fixture‎.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/babatunde-relishes-debut-goal-for-raja-casablanca/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:00pm On Feb 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Carpi player ratings: Valiant Mbakogu fights in vain
[/size]
On Friday, the Nigerian striker single-handedly took on Luciano Spalletti’s men and would have been disappointed by the late loss his side suffered
by Gazzetta World Staff, @GazzettaWorld 13/02/2016, 10:10
[img]http://gazzettaworld.gazzetta.it/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Jerry-Mbakogu-Carpi-e1455357416376.jpg?v=20160213105656[/img]
Jerry Mbakogu was the standout performer for Carpi, despite their 3-1 loss to Roma, with the Nigerian providing the assist for Kevin Lasagna’s goal.

The Biancorossi thought they’d given themselves a lifeline, mostly thanks to the Nigerian’s hard graft up front to make something happen for his team.

He eventually reaped the rewards of his hard work, after having terrorised Antonio Rudiger throughout, and bullied the German off the ball before laying off the cross for an easy tap-in from Lasagna.

Goalkeeper and Defence

Vid Belec – 5.5

Far too inattentive on Lucas Digne’s goal. Given how far away the Frenchman shot from, he should have done better with it. His mistake proved costly as it put his team on the back-foot.

Emanuele Suagher – 5

Was an absolute mess at the back and wasted possession time and time again. He was a real liability and simply crumbled under the pressure of the Giallorossi attackers.

Simone Romagnoli – 5.5

Took on Edin Dzeko all game but in the end it was the Bosnian who got the better of him. The Carpi defender struggled to cope with the Roma No.9’s physical play and lost out in aerial duels more often than not.

Ricardo Gagliolo – 6

The Biancorossi’s best defender on the night, he marshalled the backline as best as he could but far too often found himself fighting a lonely battle.
http://gazzettaworld.gazzetta.it/news/serie-a/carpi/player-ratings-mbakogu/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:01pm On Feb 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Balogun Stars For Mainz; Sadiq Benched As Salah Scores For Roma
[/size]

Super Eagles defender Leon Balogun was in action for Mainz in their 2-1 home win against Schalke 04 in the Bundesliga on Friday.

Balogun, who featured for 90 minutes, was however yellow-carded in the game.

Gaetan Bussmann put Mainz ahead on 33 minutes before Younes Belhanda equalized for Schalke on 46 minutes.

With 11 minutes remaining, Julian Baumgartlinger secured all the three points for Mainz with his goal.

In the Turkish Super League, Eagles defender Kenneth Omeruo made a 90 minute appearance in Kasimpasa’s 3-1 loss to Fenerbahce.

The Chelsea on loan player got booked in the 42nd minute.

Diego, Robin Van Persie and Alper Potuk all scored for Fenebahce, while Sanharib Bueyneksal scored Kasimpasa’s only goal.

Moses Simon was substituted as early as the 28th minute in Gent’s 2-0 win against Mouscron-Peruwelz in the Belgian league.

Simon went off for Mbark Boussoufa who alongside Danijel Milicevic, got Gent’s goals.

In Serie A, Nigerian youngsters Umar Sadiq and Nura Abdullahi, were unused substitutes for Roma who beat Carpi 3-1 away.

On parade for Carpi was Uche Mbakogu who got yellow-carded on 54 minutes.

Sadiq has appeared in six Serie A games, scoring two goals, while Abdullahi is yet to taste action.

The trio of Lucas Digne, Edin Dzeko and Egypt’s Mohamed Salah, who faces the Super Eagles in March, got Roma’s goals.

Carpi’s only goal came off the boots of Kevin Lasagna.
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/39073-2/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:02pm On Feb 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
LOST IN TRANSIT: 33 Nigerian Footballers Playing For Other Countries
[/size]

Dele Alli will be turning out for England in the European Championship in France later in the year. He could easily be playing for the Super Eagles at next year's Africa Cup of Nations or even the U-23 Eagles at the Rio 2016 Olympics, given his Nigerian blood. The extremely talented Tottenham midfielder is the latest in the line of players of Nigerian descent who chose to play for other countries for one reason or the other. Completesportsnigeria.com's IZUCHUKWU OKOSI digs up a long list of these players with Nigerian blood, who chose to play for countries — some as far-flung as Haiti, Indonesia and Singapore — other than Nigeria…

1. EMMANUEL SHEYI ADEBAYOR
Former African Footballer of the Year in 2008, Emmanuel Sheyi Adebayor was born in Lome, Togo to Nigerian parents. Adebayor exclusively told Complete Sports in Accra, Ghana in 2007 during an interview whilst still a player of Arsenal that he desired to play for the Super Eagles but the presence of other top Nigerian strikers made it impossible for him to have a chance so he opted to play for Togo. He went further to say that he still considers himself a Nigerian as his parents are from Osun State and he only represents Togo for his career's sake. Adebayor's first name Oluwaseyi means 'God Did This' which he was given due to his initial difficulty walking as a child. Adebayor currently plays for Crystal Palace in the English Premier League.

Adopted Country: Togo

Number of Caps: 65

2. SIDNEY SAM
Sidney Sam, born to a German mother and Nigerian father, played for German Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen and was thought to be in line to represent Nigeria prior to the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations. Former Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi was reportedly interested in handing the midfielder the chance to represent Nigeria rather than Germany where he was born. Sam had played for the German youth teams but not for the senior national team and was not sure of breaking into the German national team and so was seriously considering Nigeria's offer. Curiously the midfielder pulled the plug on such plans and never represented Nigeria. Sam went on to play five times for Germany's senior team and was in a 30-man pre-World Cup squad for Brazil 2014 but did not make the final squad for the eventual champions.

Adopted Country: Germany Number of Caps: 5

3. DENNIS AOGO
Another Nigerian-born footballer who never got to don the green and white jersey of the Super Eagles is Dennis Aogo. Born to a Nigerian father and a German mother, Aogo who is adept playing as a left-back or defensive midfielder was seen as the ideal choice for the latter position for Nigeria. The versatile player was billed to be part of the Eagles' squad to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa but prior to the tournament opted out and declared his intention to play for Germany instead. Aogo would later make his debut for Germany in a friendly match against Malta in a 3-0 victory on 13 May 2010, playing 79 minutes, before being replaced by Ghana-born Jérôme Boateng.

Adopted Country: Germany

Number of Caps: 12

4. ANGELO OGBONNA
West Ham United defender Angelo Ogbonna was born to Nigerian parents who travelled to Italy from Nigeria in 1988. Ogbonna made his debut for Italy in November 2011 in a friendly game against Poland where the Azurri won 2-0. He came on as substitute. He was in the Italian 23-man final squad for UEFA Euro 2012, but never played in any match during the competition. He finished the tournament with a silver medal though.

Adopted Country: Italy

Number of Caps: 10

5. ROSS BARKLEY Everton youngster Ross Barkley bears a name you will never think had any Nigerian connection. But did you know that the midfielder has Nigerian roots? Shocked? Well, now you know. Barkley's father Peter Effanga is Nigerian but the player has since played for the Three Lions because his mother Dianne is English. His parents are divorced which played a huge part in him deciding which country he will represent. After the divorce of his parents, Ross was with his mother and bore her surname and that was how Nigeria seemingly lost him! He was eligible to play for Nigeria but he has now gone into history books as one of those who got away.

Adopted Country: England

Number of Caps: 19

6. DAVID ALABA
When Bayern Munich won the 2012/2013 UEFA Champions League on May 25, 2013, David Alaba was seen with the Nigerian and Austrian flags strapped around his waist during the victory parade at the Wembly Stadium Alaba was born in Vienna to a Filipino mother who is a nurse and a Nigerian father who is a DJ and former rapper. The five-time Austrian Player of the Year (2011-2015) whose middle name 'Olatokunbo' means 'Wealth From A Foreign Land' in Yoruba language was said to be keen on representing Nigeria at youth level. In fact if all had gone well, the left-back would have been in Nigeria's U-17 squad to the 2007 FIFA U-17 World Cup handled by the late Yemi Tella but he was not considered despite voicing his interest to play for the Golden Eaglets. "I wanted to play for Nigeria but I must confess that there was no formal approach for me. A scout actually discussed that with me. "I was excited because of my dad, he was a fan of (current Super Eagles coach) Sunday Oliseh when Oliseh played for FC Cologne. As a kid, I loved to watch Victor Agali in the jersey of Hansa Rostock,'' he told an Austrian news medium. ''I got the information that Nigeria would only consider those who were in the country perhaps because of travelling logistics and that is the end of that." Nigeria eventually won the U-17 World Cup but nonetheless would have achieved that with the added 'victory' of locking up one of the world's best young players. Two years later, the rejected stone turned the chief cornerstone as Alaba made his debut for the senior Austria national team in a match against France. He then became the youngest player in the history of the Austrian national team. Alaba has won the Bundesliga title five times as well as the DFB Pokal and the FIFA Club World Cup in 2013.

Adopted Country: Austria

Number of Caps: 42 7.

EMMANUEL OLISADEBE

Emmanuel Olisadebe started his professional career with Jasper United of Onitsha. The Olisadebe family are from Ubulu-Ukwu in Delta State. The player was however granted Polish citizenship in 2000 and was subsequently capped by the Polish national team. Olisadebe scored eight goals in ten qualification matches as coach Jerzy Engel's team reached the 2002 FIFA World Cup, their first since 1986. The 'Polish Bomber' had a successful career with his Polish club Polonia Warsaw where in 2000 he won the Ekstraklasa, Ekstraklasa Cup and Polish Super Cup. Olisadebe scored 11 international goals in 25 caps between 2000 and 2004, and participated in the 2002 FIFA World Cup, where he donned the number 11 jersey. Olisadebe whose name means "May God Keep" in the Igbo language of South eastern Nigeria scored Poland's first goal at the 2002 FIFA World Cup in a 3–1 victory against USA in Daejeon in the last group match, unfortunately for him, Poland failed to progress to the second round of the World Cup.

Adopted Country: Poland

Number of Caps: 25 8.

DELE ALLI
Tottenham Hotspur hotshot Dele Alli has Nigerian blood running through his veins. Full name, Bamidele Alli, the supremely talented midfield prodigy regretfully plays for England and not Nigeria. His name means "Follow me to my House" in Yoruba and the name is given to a child born outside their community , state, or country. On October 1, 2015, while Nigerians were marking the 55th anniversary of the country, England manager Roy Hodgson on that day was busy hatching a plan to deprive Nigeria of one of its best prospects, Alli. The wily Hodgson on Nigeria's Independence Day named the midfielder in his team for their final UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying matches against Estonia and Lithuania. The youngster made his debut against Estonia eight days later, coming on as a late substitute for another 'lost son of Nigeria' Ross Barkley in a 2-0 win. On 17 November 2015, Alli made his first start for the England senior team, scoring the opening goal from a long range shot to beat Spurs team-mate, goalkeeper Hugo Lloris in a 2-0 win against France at Wembley Stadium in the aftermath of the Paris bombing that shook the world. Alli, injury permitting, is nailed-on to make Roy Hodgson's squad for Euro 2016 this summer in France.

Number of Caps: 4

9. OGUCHI ONYENWU Born Oguchialu Chijioke "Gooch" Onyewu on May 13, 1982, Onyewu’s parents moved to the United States from Nigeria to study in Washington, D.C. A US citizen now, Onyenwu made his first senior national team appearance for the US on October 13, 2004, against Panama. Onyewu scored his first international goal in the 2005 Gold Cup in the semifinal against Honduras, and was later named to the tournament Best XI. He is now a free agent after his contract with Charlton Athletic ended.

Adopted Country: USA

Number of Caps: 67

10. STEFANO CHUKA OKAKA
Stefano Chuka Okaka was born on 9 August, 1989 in Castiglione del Lago, Perugia, in Italy to Nigerian parents who hail from Onitsha, Anambra State. Okaka later obtained Italian citizenship due to his family gaining citizenship status. Okaka joined the Roma youth system in 2004. He is currently an Italian international who plays as a striker for Belgian side Anderlecht. The striker's uncle, Uche Okaka, confirmed to Completesportsnigeria.com in Lagos that his nephew was indeed keen to play for the Super Eagles despite being a youth international for Italy but his talks with the Nigeria Football Federation did not yield any positive answer. Okaka made his senior debut for the Italian national team on 18 November, 2014. He made his debut as a substitute, replacing Sebastian Giovinco in the second half, and scored the winning goal at Sampdoria’s ground the Stadio Luigi Ferraris.

Adopted Country: Italy

Number of Caps: 3

11. GABRIEL AGBOLANHOR Gabriel Imuetinyan Agbonlahor was born on 13 October, 1986 to a Nigerian father from Edo State and a Scottish mother and lived all his life at Birmingham. On 19 November, 2008 he made his international debut against Germany. He played for 76 minutes. Since making his debut for England, Agbolanhor has only three caps for the English national team. He made his first appearance in a competitive international on 14 October, 2009, playing 66 minutes in the 3-0 win over Belarus in the last game of qualification for the 2010 World Cup. He was last called up to the squad in November 2011.

Number of Caps: 4
[/b]

Sir Forgiveness are you there?
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:03pm On Feb 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
LOST IN TRANSIT: 33 Nigerian Footballers Playing For Other Countries
[/size]

Dele Alli will be turning out for England in the European Championship in France later in the year. He could easily be playing for the Super Eagles at next year's Africa Cup of Nations or even the U-23 Eagles at the Rio 2016 Olympics, given his Nigerian blood. The extremely talented Tottenham midfielder is the latest in the line of players of Nigerian descent who chose to play for other countries for one reason or the other. Completesportsnigeria.com's IZUCHUKWU OKOSI digs up a long list of these players with Nigerian blood, who chose to play for countries — some as far-flung as Haiti, Indonesia and Singapore — other than Nigeria…

12. PATRICK OWOMOYELA
The would-he-play, would-he-not play for Nigeria debate regarding Patrick Owomoyela lingered on for quite sometime. The dreadlock-wearing former Borussia Dortmund midfielder has a German mother and a Nigerian father. He won the German Bundesliga titles with Dortmund in the 2010-11 and 2011-12 seasons. Patrick Olukayode Olaiya Owomoleya also played for Lüneburger SK, VfL Osnabrück, SC Paderborn 07, Arminia Bielefeld, SV Werder Bremen and Hamburger SV II. Owomoleya whose middle name, Olukayode means 'God brings me joy' in the Yoruba language made his debut for Germany in an Asian tour, playing 90 minutes in a 3-0 win over Japan, on 16 December, 2004, in Yokohama and was part of the German national team at the 2005 FIFA Confederation Cup. Owomoleya's international career however lasted just two years as he was never invited from 2006 after he was overlooked for a place in the German squad for that year's World Cup finals which Germany hosted.

Number of Caps: 11

13. IKECHI ANYA
Ikechi Anya currently plays international football for Scotland but there is no gainsaying that he is a Nigerian. Scots don't bear the name "Ikechi" or "Anya". Anya plays his club football for Watford, so is a team-mate of Super Eagles striker Odion Ighalo. Anya's parents moved to Scotland in the late 80's so that his father could obtain his doctorate in Metallurgy. Anya chose to play for Scotland where he grew up but was also eligible to play for Romania, the country of his mother who is an Economist.

Adopted Country: Scotland

Number of Caps: 16 14.

NEDUM ONUOHA Queens Park Rangers defender Nedum Onuoha received an international call-up to play for Nigeria in March 2007 but rather he chose to wait for a chance to play for England. The defender born in Warri, Delta State before his parents moved to England has since not been capped by the successive managers of the English national team.

Number of Caps: 21 (U-21)

15. UGO EHIOGU Nigeria lost the chance to have Ugochukwu Ehiogu play for the Super Eagles. A powerful defender who played for English clubs like Middlesbrough, Sheffield United, Aston Villa and Scottish Premier League side Rangers, he also played in the Football League for West Bromwich Albion, Leeds United and Sheffield United, as well as a spell in the Scottish Premier League with Rangers. Ehiogu was capped by England at the senior level four times and he scored one goal. In 2012, he came out of brief retirement by signing for non-league side Wembley to participate in the club's FA Cup games alongside other retired veteran players.

Number of Caps: 4 16.

EMMANUEL SARKI
Former Flying Eagles star Emmanuel Sarki shocked Nigerian football fans when he switched allegiance to Haiti, the country of his maternal grandmother. Sarki was a junior international who represented at the FIFA U-17 World Cup in 2001 alongside Mikel Obi and Chinedu Obasi among others. Sarki claimed he was asked to part with some money before he could play for the Super Eagles. Adopted Country: Haiti Number of Caps: 4 17. INNOCENT EMEGHARA Innocent Nkasiobi Emeghara is a Nigerian-born striker who moved to Switzerland as a teenager and started playing football for the reasons of wanting to cope with the language barrier and cold temperatures. His Nigerian names, Nkasiobi means 'Consolation' while Emeghara means 'Willingness To Let Go'. Adopted Country: Switzerland Number of Caps: 9 18. MAURICE EDU After spending several seasons abroad playing in Scotland, England and Turkey, Maurice (Chin)Edu was called into Jurgen Klinsmann’s provisional 30-man squad for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil but did not make it past the final round of cuts. The former Stoke City midfielder's parents lived in California. Edu’s father played football in Nigeria and both his parents played a huge role in his success on the pitch and in the classroom.

Adopted Country: USA

Number of Cap: 46

19. CARLTON COLE
Aston Villa's Carlton Okorie Cole was invited for Nigeria's joint 2010 World Cup and African Nations Cup qualifiers against South Africa in September 2008 but he failed to honour the call. Cole whose father comes from Rivers State and his mother is from Sierra Leone represented England at the U-21 level but despite not getting the chance to play for England at the senior level then, he turned down the chance to play international football for Nigeria. Luckily for him, he later had few games under his belt in an England shirt but his career has always been enmeshed in one controversy or the other. While playing for the English national team in a friendly against the Black Stars of Ghana, Cole came under fire stating in a twitter rant, a habit that has gotten him into trouble several times, that the game was being used as a means for immigration agents to deport black people back to Africa. He later apologised for his comments and donated to charity in Ghana.

Number of Caps: 7

20. TIAGO ILORI
Liverpool youngster Tiago Ilori hails from a cosmopolitan background, having been born in England with a Nigerian father and Portuguese mother. His full names are Tiago Abiola Delfim Almeida Ilori. He lived in the Iberian country for more than a decade and considers himself Portuguese.

Adopted Country: Portugal

Number of Caps: 10 (U-21) 21.

CASMIR AGU
Casmir Agu became the first Nigerian footballer to be handed the citizenship of Singapore in 2003. He made his debut for the Asians on December 13, 2004 against Laos. In 2007, he reached a century of goals in the Singaporian league.

Adopted Country: Singapore

Number of Caps: 36

22. DICKSON ITIMI
Nigerian-born Dickson Edherefe Itimi made his international bow for Singapore on December 15, 2004 in a 3-0 win against Cambodia. Itimi had received Singapore citizenship under the Foreign Sports Talent Scheme in 2004. Itimi was handed a six-month ban by the Singapore Football Association from playing in the national team when he stayed away from a national team training. The midfielder was in the Singapore squad that won the Tiger Cup regional football championship in 2004.

Number of Caps: 29

23. PRECIOUS EMUEJERAYE
The older brother of Albert Emuejeraye, Precious dumped Nigeria for Singapore when he gave up any hopes of playing international football for Nigeria. Emuejeraye was awarded Singaporian citizenship in December 2005 three years after he began his club career in the country with Jurong FC. Singapore national team coach Radojko Avramovic handed the Nigerian-born defender an international debut in a friendly against Denmark on the 26 January 2006.

Number of Caps: 56

24. JORDON IBE
Liverpool youngster Jordon Ibe in September 2015 opted to represent England at international football despite the best efforts and more of Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh to have him play for Nigeria, the country of his father. Ibe who Barclays English Premier League commentators like Jim Beglin, Jon Champion, Peter Drury etc prefer to pronounce as though it rhymes with 'Hybe' had initially hinted of his interest in playing for Nigeria as the Nigeria Football Federation boss Amaju Pinnick journeyed to England to convince Nigerian-born players in the country to switch allegiance to Nigeria. The winger has played for the U-18, U-19 and U-20 sides and is still waiting for a chance at the senior level. There is stiff competition for places in the right wing position of England with Ibe clearly not one of the three favourites to claim a place in Roy Hodgson's team for the Euro 2016 Championship with Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade Chamberlain and other players ahead of him. The verdict here is that unless Hodgson's first choice right wingers suffer crushing injuries before Euro 2016, Ibe will wait a bit longer to play international football for his preferred nation.

Number of Caps: 3 (U-21)

25. GEORGE NDAH George Ndah was born in England on December 23, 1974 but his parents, Completesportsnigeria.com scooped from a source known to the family, are from Asaba, Delta State. Ndah played in the Premier League for Crystal Palace and in the Football League for Bournemouth, Gillingham, Swindon Town and Wolverhampton Wanderers. In 1999 he was called up to play for the Super Eagles but injury prevented him from making his debut and he was never selected again. Ndah has an older brother, Jamie, who also played at a lower league level with Horsham, Torquay United and Barnet among others.

Number of Caps: 1 26.

VICTOR IGBONEFO Nigerian-born Victor Chukwuekezie Igbonefo changed nationality in October 2011 following an impressive first season at Indonesian club, Persipura Jayapura. Before travelling to Indonesia, he had played for First Bank Football Club of Lagos. Currently playing for Siam Navy, a professional football club in Indonesia, Igbonefo's decision to play for Indonesia's national team was ostensibly for the fact that he was playing at the local scene in Nigeria and could not at least break into one of the Nigerian age-grade teams where he could have had the chance to graduate to the senior levels. An opportunity to travel out was irresistible and that came with the added knowledge that he could play regularly for a modest national team like Indonesia.

Adopted Country: Indonesia Number of Caps: 1

27. GREG NWOKOLO Greg Nwokolo was born in Onitsha, Anambra State but he travelled to Indonesia to play professional football in Indonesia. He made his debut for the Indonesia national football team in the 2015 AFC Asian Cup qualification campaign against Saudi Arabia on 23 March 2013. The Football Association of Indonesia had a lot of convincing to do before Nwokolo accepted to play for the Asians.

Adopted Country: Indonesia

Number of Caps: 37

28. DIGGER IFEANYI OKONKWO
Nigerian-born Ifeanyi Okonkwo plays international football for Malta. Curiously named Digger (not nickname) Ifeanyi Okonkwo is a Nigerian-born player of Igbo extraction who made his Maltese national team debut on 21 August 1999. Digger played for six Maltese clubs before his retirement.

Adopted Country: Malta

Number of Caps 4

29. RUBIN OKOTIE Rubin Okotie was born to a Nigerian father from Benin, Edo City and a mother from Austria. Okotie now plays for the Austrian national team alongside David Alaba. Okotie spent the first four years of his life in the Spanish city of Barcelona. As a result of his multinational background he is eligible to represent three countries at national level, namely Austria, Nigeria and Pakistan. However Okotie identifies himself primarily as Austrian, stating that "I live there, it's where I have my friends, and I think of myself as Austrian" in an interview with FIFA's website.

Adopted Country: Austria

Number of Caps: 14

30. LAWRENCE CHIMEZIE AKANDU

Lawrence began his career as a defender but plays as a striker these days, albeit in the twilight of his career. The player started his career at Sharks FC before journeying to Poland to sign for Wisla Krakow. He took up citizenship of Hong Kong after leaving Poland for Hong Kong in 1994 and scored on his debut for Hong Kong national team in the East Asian Football Championship 2003 against Korea Republic on 4 December 2003. Akandu currently plays for currently playing for Hoi Fan in the Hong Kong League.

Adopted Country: Hong Kong

Number of Caps: 7

31. STEPHEN ADEMOLU Stephen Ademolu is a Nigerian-born Canadian international who interestingly is a sports journalist who plays for Windsor Football Club in the Canadian League 1. The former U-23 star made his senior debut for Canada in November 2005 against Luxembourg. Ademolu whose mother is Jamaican has six brothers and one sister. His twin brother O'Nicholas also played for the CSU Vikings. His cousin Michael Carter plays football for the Montreal Allouettes.

Adopted Country: Canada

Number of Caps: 8

32. CHINEDU EDE FC Twente winger Chinedu Ede has a Nigerian father and a German mother. Ede took up German nationality and has represented Germany at youth levels. The player has played from the U-17 to U-23 teams of Germany and was part of the German side that won the UEFA Under-21 Championship in 2009.

Number of Caps: 4 (U-21)

33. COLLY BARNES EZEH Nigerian-born striker Colly Barnes Ezeh took up the nationality of Hong Kong and made his international debut on November 15, 2006 in a 2-0 win against Bangladesh. Ezeh currently plays for FC Shatin, his second spell at the club.

Adopted Country: Hong Kong

Number of Caps: 1
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/lost-in-transit-33-nigerian-footballers-playing-for-other-countries/
[/b]

Sir Forgiveness are you there?
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:03pm On Feb 13, 2016
krattoss:

That is not the case here. When he scores his teammates and even their mascot do the kneel at the corner. I don't think he throws his religion in anyone's face he just thanks God when he scores.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 245
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.