Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,610 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (110) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (248718 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:23pm On Feb 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Much ado about Sunday... (Part 2)
[/size]

It was 19 July 2015, in one that I put out on these pages for your reading pleasure, that I aptly titled the first part of this piece. At the time, I did not know that there would be a need for a second part.

And now, I have no way of being sure that this will be the last of the parts because the stories keep unfolding.

In my post of 19 July 2015, I want to remind readers of some of the comments I made – my reservations, my misgivings, and why I had them.

Let me make it clear that I personally asked questions on the rationale behind this clamour. I told AMP (Amaju Melvin Pinnick) that Sunny has all the qualifications, agreed; but has no experience of coaching. I told him that he may be a pretty face on TV, an articulate analyst loved by both FIFA and CAF, but can he bring it to bear on the field?

I asked questions. I asked about how Sunny appeared to me to be an arrogant person who tended to look down on people when he was playing. I personally had a slight altercation with him in 2001 when Nigeria was struggling to qualify for the 2002 World Cup, then languishing in 3rd place in our group, behind Liberia and Ghana!

I also heard later, in and around 2009/2011, how Sunny was offered the chance to join the Nigerian coaching setup as an assistant to the then Super Eagles coach, or take over one of the age group teams. I was told that he “walked out” on the powers of the NFF at the time, insisting that it was either the top job or nothing for him. This claim was never refuted but I certainly was not physically present at the meetings.

I warned AMP that there was a possibility of setting a dangerous precedent for our football culture, which could be translated to mean, “the best way to the job of your dreams will be to be rude and arrogant to your superiors and you will get it”.

Fast-forward 7 months, and let’s see where we are.

First game in charge was a competitive away game, an African Cup qualifier against Tanzania early in September. It was goalless, and Nigeria lost ground on group pacesetters Egypt who recorded a 100% start to the qualifying campaign.

From then on, the records are there to see, and Oliseh himself confirmed – 14 games, 2 losses, a few wins here and there (2-0 against Swaziland at home, 3-0 friendly match win vs Cameroon and a competitive 4-1 win over Niger in the CHAN tournament, amidst a few draws).

Obviously after a disappointing outing in the African Nations Championships in Rwanda where Sunny couldn’t lead Nigeria beyond the preliminary stages, people were not happy – understandably. And they expressed it.

Sunny gave it back to them – in measures; starting by blaming the custodians of football in Nigeria (his employers, the NFF) for not motivating
the team enough with money.

Then came the bombshell – the now ever so infamous “video rant”. The less said about this video really, the better. Not on here anyway.

But contents of that video seem to confirm some of those misgivings yours truly had 7 months ago, and called the attention of the world to. But it went beyond that.

Now, there’s been an apology – an apology to the employers, an apology to Nigerians.

The technical committee of the NFF met, deliberated on Sunny and gave a recommendation to the NFF hierarchy. Apparently, whatever was recommended was not taken to, and this prompted a mass resignation of the Committee appointed to oversee coaching issues among others in Nigerian football.

The sportswriters of Nigeria have come out fighting because of some spurious allegations made by Sunny in his ‘rant’, which I describe more as a “Presidential State of the Nation” address. They want him to name their colleagues that Sunny allege to have asked to be bribed before they can write complimentary stories about him.

The dust has settled, but I say: there are so many questions that this Presidential address has raised, and it does not feel like a simple letter of apology, and a twitter message is sufficient to douse this matter.

Let it be known that Nigeria did not qualify for the last Africa Cup of Nations; hence were unable to defend the crown that Sunny’s predecessor (Stephen Keshi) won in 2013.

To stand a chance of not missing out on a second one in a row, Nigeria needs to overcome group leaders Egypt, home and away, in March, and not slip up against others – all under this same coach who does not want to be criticised, who feels it was wrong to question his tactics.

The questions mount: who are the agents that have been asking Sunny to include their players and do “business” with him? Which of my colleagues in the media have been asking Sunny to pay them before they write positive things about him?

Surely his work is speaking for him? 14 games, only 2 losses – a statistic that many will be proud of. Why would he need to pay for people to highlight such an achievement?

Oh…and we ask, how will the President of CAF, Issa Hayatou feel, when he hears that Sunny called a tournament which was a brainchild of his (Hayatou’s) and in which he is so proud, the “least important football tournament in Africa”?

Would Sunny extend his apologies to CAF as well?

And finally, can it be true that the NFF actually begged Sunny to take this job? Is it true that he didn’t ask for it, didn’t beg for it and “didn’t even want it”, and that it took the personal intervention of friends before he took the job?

Can this be true? Nigeria – a country of over 180 million people, that many coaches are losing sleep wanting to manage – with abundant talent home and abroad, and most important, with a budget salary that many coaches will kill to earn in Africa – actually begging a reluctant ex-player to come coach its national team.

If it is not true, then we can add that to the questions. Who begged Sunny? Why? If it was a false allegation, then is it not a slap on the faces of all of us custodians of football in Nigeria, that someone will say something this heavy and sweep it under the carpet in the name of a letter of apology?

Questions, questions, questions

What happens from now on? I would not clamour for anyone to lose their livelihood but I will ask - what kind of relationship will exist between Sunny and employers now? The NFF that has a technical committee that is clearly not happy that he is still there, and that will have to preside over his programmes to win difficult matches.

How does he deal with the people he has accused of requesting for bribe?

How does he navigate the country to qualification for a competition that is already very difficult to qualify for as it is, at the best of times?

The NFF needs to look at itself too, and that includes yours truly. This matter will be the making of this regime. If Sunny succeeds to qualify Nigeria, he will go to town saying he did it without support from anyone – that they were prepared to see him sink, yet he swam. If he doesn’t qualify for AFCON, Nigerians will have us for dinner, for not taking action when we had the chance to.

Caught between a rock and a hard place…..is the best way to describe the state that the NFF is in now.

And there is only one person; ONE SINGLE INDIVIDUAL, who knows the best and most honourable thing to do. He knows himself, and I am sure we all do too.

One word, they say………

By ‘Tunde Adelakun
http://africanfootball.com/news/611110/Much-ado-about-Sunday-Part-2
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:23pm On Feb 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Abiola Dauda 'different class' hails Hearts boss
[/size]

Hearts FC manager Robbie Neilson has described Nigerian striker Abiola Dauda as “different class” after the substitute scored twice in a 30-minute appearance to seal a hard-fought 3-0 victory over hosts Ross County.

The Vitesse Arhnem loanee scored twice in the last six minutes to secure the three points after Jamie Walker’s opener for Hearts shortly after half-time.

Dauda’s cameo suggests Neilson was right when he said the striker is a better all-round player than China-bound Osman Sow, who he was signed to replace.

"He changed the game for us, he is quality,” said Neilson. “He is probably not 100 per cent fit. He had a full 90 minutes on Sunday in the derby which is probably more than he should have had given his injuries and problems we have had."
http://africanfootball.com/news/610965/Abiola-Dauda-different-class-hails-Hearts-boss
[/b]

1 Like

[size=14pt]
Crystal Palace coach rates Ighalo high
[/size]

Watford Duo Troy Deeney and Odion Ighalo

Crystal Palace assistant manager Keith Millen has rated Nigeria international Odion Ighalo highly as well as his Watford strike partner Troy Deeney.

London club Palace will welcome Watford on Saturday.

Palace are 12th on the EPL table on 32 points, a point behind 10th-placed Watford.

Millen said the former Granada striker is having an unbelievable season.

"Odion Ighalo was an unknown quantity, he’s had an unbelievable season,” he remarked.

“Deeney is someone who has been around for a long time - we like him as a player ourselves. We know what he brings to their team. The pair do complement each other well."
http://africanfootball.com/news/610944/Crystal-Palace-coach-rates-Ighalo-high

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:27pm On Feb 13, 2016
[size=14pt]
Sunday Stephen shines on Real Salt Lake debut
[/size]

Nigeria midfielder Sunday 'Sunny' Stephen shone like a million stars on his debut for MLS side Real Salt Lake on Thursday in a 1-0 loss to champions Portland Timbers.

The former Valencia midfielder controlled the midfield with ease before he was replaced in the 60th minute.

Portland Timber's Jack McInerney was sent off in the 28th minute for grabbing Sunday Stephen on the neck.

Fellow Nigerians, Fanendo Adi and Akinjide Idowu, were not listed for Timbers.

Former Spain U20 ace, 'Sunny' has played in Israel and Bulgaria.
http://africanfootball.com/news/610940/Sunday-Stephen-shines-on-Real-Salt-Lake-debut

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:30am On Feb 14, 2016
If Oliseh would reach out to Enyeama he would be doing the right thing. Ikeme is a good option but Enyeama is the greatest. Bottom line is if Nigerians can forgive Oliseh he can in turn forgive and forget with Enyeama.

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 10:25am On Feb 14, 2016
BascoVanVeli:
If Oliseh would reach out to Enyeama he would be doing the right thing. Ikeme is a good option but Enyeama is the greatest. Bottom line is if Nigerians can forgive Oliseh he can in turn forgive and forget with Enyeama.
haba bro.. enyeama is retired for good... we have long moved on..

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:35am On Feb 14, 2016
krattoss:
haba bro.. enyeama is retired for good... we have long moved on..

who made that law? If a coach can quit and make a u-turn why can't a player. Even the technical guys did it so...

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 11:45am On Feb 14, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

who made that law? If a coach can quit and make a u-turn why can't a player. Even the technical guys did it so...
well. it might interest u to know that players and coaches are not in the same heirachy ..

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:58pm On Feb 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Matic Happy With Mikel Midfield Partnership
[/size]
By Johnny Edward
Chelsea midfielder Nemanja Matic has hailed his midfield partnership with Mikel Obi in the Blues' last four games.

Matic who admits the 28-year-old Nigerian midfielder is more defensive minded than him says playing with club legend FrankLampard was perfect for his development.

"Mikel is more defensive than me so the coach has given me more freedom than him to go further forward and help Cesc Fabregas and the other attacking players," Matic told chelseafc.com.

"Obi, Cesc and Rami are a lot closer to my own age, so it’s a bit different, but playing with Frank was great for my development.

"My position is defensive midfielder but I will do whatever it takes to help the team, so whatever the coach asks me to do Iam happy with that."

Matic also revealed he is delighted to play alongside any of the trio of Obi, Cesc Fabregas and Ruben Loftus-Cheek in midfield.

He added: "It's great when you have good players to work with. I'm always happy to be part of such a big team, it doesn't matterwhether I play with Obi, Cesc or somebody else, they are all great players.

"We also have young Ruben Loftus-Cheek, he's done very well when he's played and he shows in training that he has the quality to have a big future at the club. I'm very happy with my team-mates."
www.completesportsnigeria.com/matic-happy-with-mikel-midfield-partnership/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:00pm On Feb 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
John Ogu Dreams Israeli League Title
[/size]
[img]http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ucl-mikel-listed-lisbon-clash/[/img]
By Johnny Edward:
John Ogu has declared that Hapoel Be'er Sheva can win the Israeli Premier League title after his side saw off Hapoel Haifa 2-1 on Saturday to maintain top spot since the start of the season.

Hapoel Be'er Sheva haven't won the title since 1976 but are on course to land their first major title in 30 years after maintaining a 17 game unbeaten run in the Ligat Al.

And Ogu who is expected to be recalled back for next month's 2017 African Nations Cup qualifier against Egypt is looking to the future.

“Of course we can win the title. Last season was a bad one, we know that, but we are confident we can put it right. We have to believe that we can win the title.

It was a sweet victory on Saturday against Hapoel Haifa," Ogu told Completesportsnigeria.comSaturday night.

Ogu also posted a video showing him leading his team victory dance on his Twitter handle.

Ogu tweeted: "Sweet victory, 17 games unbeaten, 6 wins in a row for the first time, an assist tonight,Still on top .All GOD..#Blessed."

The win was the sixth in a row for the first time and Ogu was delighted to have made an assist for the winner.

Ogu 27 has scored twice in 21 games this season.

Hapoel Be'er Sheva are currenly topping the log with 57 points from 23 games.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/john-ogu-dreams-israeli-league-title/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:39pm On Feb 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Emenike makes second West Ham appearance in Norwich draw
Posted by Emre Sarigul
[/size]

Nigerian international Emmanuel Emenike made his second appearance for West Ham against Norwich at Carrow Road.

Emenike came on in the second-half and played the last 20 minutes and played his role in the fight-back that saw the Hammers come back from two goals down to draw 2-2.

Payet and Noble were the goal scorers for West Ham but despite not scoring or providing an assist Emenike did contribute in the final third.

The Hammers have now gone two weeks without a league win but kept their spot in 7th place following the draw.

Emenike left the Turkish Super League giants Fenerbahce joining West Ham on a six-month loan with a buy-out clause option.

The 28-year-old striker spent the first half of the season on loan at Al Ain scoring seven times in 11 games.

The Nigerian international made his debut in the 1-0 defeat against Southampton last weekend but has yet to score for his new club.
www.turkish-football.com/emenike-makes-second-west-ham-appearance-in-norwich-draw/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:42pm On Feb 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
More like Eminem - Terry Butcher not impressed by West Ham's new striker Emmanuel Emenike
[/size]
Mathew Nash
@hitcmathewnash

The Nigerian missed a golden opportunity to be the hero for West Hamtoday.

West Ham Unitedfought back this afternoon to deal Norwich City a bitter blow in their survival hopes.

The Hammers were 2-0 down and looking down and out but then fought back to pick up a 2-2 draw at Carrow Road after goals from Dimitri Payet and Mark Noble.

The result however could have been different, if new signing Emmanuel Emenikehit the back of the net late on.

The transfer window arrival on loan from Fenerbahce the Nigerian had a chance to take all three points away from the game in Norfolk.

But he fluffed his lines and ball went harmlessly into the hands of John Ruddy.

Speaking as part of the BBC commentaryon the game legendary former England captain was not impressed at all with the effort at all, and let everyone know that with comic effect, stating:

"More like Eminem than Emenike, what a chance that was.
"He completely missed his kick.

"John Ruddy was the most surprised man on the pitch as the ball bounced in into his hands."

Emenike was brought in from Turkish football after a spell in the Middle East with Al Ain - with the intention of providing cover to the strike department at Upton Park.

But he has so far yet to look up to the task from his two cameos for the club.

Hopefully his sharpness will return before the end of the season.
www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/02/13/more-like-eminem-terry-butcher-not-impressed-by-west-hams-new-st/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:50pm On Feb 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Hearts keeper Neil Alexander backs Nigerian hotshot Abiola Dauda to shoot down Hibs in Cup replay after Ross County brace
[/size]
Hearts stalwart Neil Alexander reckons Abiola Dauda is ready to make his presence felt against Hibernian at the second time of asking after bagging a brace against Ross County.

The Nigerian marksman, who joined the Jambos on deadline day, was handed a baptism of fire last Sunday when he was pitched straight into the starting eleven for the Edinburgh derby.

Replacing Osman Sow, who has made a lucrative switch to Chinese side Henan Jianye, he struggled to make an impact during a breathless, frantic 2-2 draw in the Scottish Cup fifth round.

However, Dauda illustrated his potential four days later, scoring a double in Dingwall to secure a 3-0 win for Hearts after coming on as a second half substitute.

Allied with further impressive displays in training, Alexander reckons the Vitesse Arnhem loanee is rapidly finding his feet in Scotland.

The 37-year-old lauded: “The midweek goals will do Abiola’s confidence the world of good - and he is looking very good in training so I think he can help kick us on for the rest of the season.

“After those goals against County he will be going into the upcoming games with a lot of confidence.

"Of course Osman Sow is a huge loss, and obviously you want to keep your best players, but it was a bit of good business for the club and you have to move on.

“Players move on and you have to replace them and we feel we have done that by bringing in good players like Abiola.”

Alexander, who enjoyed an unexpected afternoon without action when Hearts' Premiership clash with Partick Thistle was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch at Tynecastle on Saturday, has been buoyed by the return of Jamie Walker.

The gifted winger also found the net against County, capping his first start since October 24 with a goal after undergoing surgery to cure a persistent knee injury.

Despite adding Don Cowie, John Souttar and Dauda on the last day of the transfer window, Alexander believes Walker's return will prove equally important during the run-in.

He added: “We feel we have brought in good players and we also have Jamie Walker coming back.

“He is getting a few more games and getting back to full fitness and is looking good, so he is like a new signing for us."

Meanwhile, Hearts are sweating over the fitness of Prince Buaben ahead of the derby clash.

The Ghanaian had been ruled out of the weekend visit of Partick prior to its postponement after he limped off just 10 minutes into the 2-2 draw with Hibs eight days ago.

However, Hearts head coach Robbie Neilson is hopeful that he can play some part into the match-day squad at Easter Road, which will be boosted by the returns of Igor Rossi and Blazej Augustyn.

Neilson added: "We’re gearing Prince up for the game on Tuesday. He had a problem with his hamstring injury at the start of the season and he had another wee niggle in it against Hibs.

"He came off early but if he’d played on any longer, it could have been worse. Hopefully he’ll be alright for Tuesday."
m.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14275903.Hearts_keeper_Neil_Alexander_backs_Nigerian_hotshot_Abiola_Dauda_to_shoot_down_Hibs_in_Cup_replay_after_Ross_County_brace/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:55pm On Feb 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Photos: Wenger in deep discussion with Arsenal duo, Nigeria international training
[/size]
Subhankar Mondal
@subhankarjourno

Arsenal will face Leicester City at the Emirates Stadium in the Premier Leagueon Sunday afternoon.

The Arsenal players were training on Saturday ahead of the Premier League game against Leicester City on Sunday.

Arsenal will be looking to pick up all three points when they take on Leicester at the Emirates Stadium in North London.

The Gunnerswill head into the match on the back of a 2-0 victory over Bournemouth, and the players were training hard on Saturday.

Among the players at the session were central defenders Per Mertesackerand Laurent Koscielny.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger was in deep discussion with the duo during the session.
Alex Iwobi was also training on Saturday, although it is unlikely that the youngster will get to play against Leicester.

The 19-year-old, who can play as a winger or as a striker, is a highly rated and promising young player.

The Nigeria international has played four times in the Premier League for Arsenal so far this season.

Will Arsenal win against Leicester City on Sunday?
www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/02/13/photos-wenger-in-deep-discussion-with-arsenal-duo-nigeria-intern/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:04pm On Feb 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria UEFA Champions League 2015/2016 Genk
Nigeria star Moses Simon injured in Belgium
[/size]
[img]http://mtnfootball.com/news/611470/Nigeria-star-Moses-Simon-injured-in-Belgium[/img]
Eagles winger Moses Simon injured in Belgium

Nigeria international Moses Simon was forced out of a Belgian Jupiler League match for champions Genk due to injury.

However, the severity of the injury has yet to be ascertained as Nigeria prepare to face Egypt in all-important AFCON 2017 qualifiers next month.

The former Trencin of Slovakia hitman was forced to leave the pitch limping in the 27th minute in Friday’s game his side beat Mouscron-Peruwelz 2-0.

He was replaced with Mbark Boussoufa, who later scored one of the team’s.

The 20-year-old dashing winger, who has scored two goals in the league this season, only recently signed a new contract with the Belgian club, who are top of the league and on course to successfully defending the league crown they won last season.
africanfootball.com//news/611470/Nigeria-star-Moses-Simon-injured-in-Belgium
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:59pm On Feb 14, 2016
Obafemi Martins on the verge of completing a move to China?

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 11:46pm On Feb 14, 2016
BascoVanVeli:
Obafemi Martins on the verge of completing a move to China?

[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria striker Martins joins China's Shanghai Shenhua
By Oluwashina Okeleji
[/size]
Obafemi Martins scored 43 goals in 84 appearances for Seattle Sounders since joining in March 2013.

Nigeria striker Obafemi Martins has joined Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua in a multi-million dollar deal, BBC Sport can reveal.

The 31-year-old makes the switch from Seattle Sounders, where he scored 43 goals in 84 appearances for the MLS club he joined in March 2013.

Martins was linked with a move back to the Premier Leaguein the January window, but British agent Tony Harris along with the player's attorney Soroosh Abdi brokered the deal taking the Super Eagle to China instead.

Martins, who joins Senegalese striker Demba Ba at the Shanghai club, becomes the latest high-profile player to make the switch to the cash-rich Super League.

Colombia striker Jackson Martinez, former Chelsea midfielder Ramires, Cameroon captain Stephane Mbia and ex-Serie A duo Gervinho and Fredy Guarin are among the other big Chinese signings in 2016.

Martins burst into the international limelight at Italian side Inter Milan before switching to Newcastle in August 2006. He scored 35 goals in his three seasons with the Magpies.

The striker, who has also had spells in Germany, Russia and Spain, will be remembered for scoring Birmingham City's winner in their 2-1 Carling Cup final victoryover Arsenal in 2011 - the club's first silverware since 1963.

He has scored 18 goals in 41 international appearances for three-time African champions Nigeria and was voted Africa's most promising talent in 2003 and 2004.
m.bbc.com/sport/football/35573893

[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 11:48pm On Feb 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: Oliseh to Meet Ighalo, Moses, Others Next Week
By Gowon Akpodonor
[/size]
Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh, is expected to begin a tour of Europe next week to hold talks with players he will use to prosecute the double-header 2017 African Nations Cup qualifiers against the Pharaohs of Egypt.

Nigeria is in Group G of the qualifying series alongside Egypt, Tanzania and Chad and with the Pharaohs leading the group with six points as against four points for the Eagles. Tanzania and Chad are bottom of the table with one and zero point respectively.

The senior national team will face Egypt in Kaduna on March 23 in a game Oliseh must win to keep the nation's qualification hope alive.
The return leg comes up in Cairo on March 29.

Super Eagles Media Officer, Toyin Ibitoye, yesterday disclosed to The Guardian that Oliseh would visit some of the players who are based in Europe next week to 'put heads together' on how to go about the decisive fixtures.

"The coach knows the crucial nature of the two matches and he is planning ahead. He is monitoring the players and he will visit some of the players who are based in Europe next week to hold talks with them," Ibitoye said.

Meanwhile, Oliseh has insisted he would delay his choice of players like Chelsea loanee Victor Moses for next month's all-important AFCON's double-header against Egypt to be sure they will be available for the matches.

Injury-troubled Victor Moses, who is on loan to West Ham from Chelsea, has not played under Oliseh since he took charge of the Eagles in July 2015, but he is now believed to be in the team's plans ahead of the qualifiers.

Speaking with Mtnfootball.com, Oliseh said: "Victor Moses is doing well, but he is always on and off, injured... okay... injured... okay... "
"We will pick players who are fit and doing well, but we will only do that just about the time we will invite the players because what if I have a player on my head now and just when we will invite, he is injured or has some problems?"The Eagles boss also disclosed he has not ruled out some new faces for the Egypt matches.

"It's very possible (to call up new players) because this game is one we want to go with all the artillery we have. Everyone who is doing well knows he will be considered for selection," Oliseh added. Only the group winner is guaranteed automatic qualification to Gabon 2017 AFCON.
allafrica.com/stories/201602140188.html
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 4:22am On Feb 15, 2016
hello guys...I bring to you hope,and good news in the world of betting.. for all those who might have lost fortunes..and lots of cash..no problem it's time to recover back and gain every single penny.. visit this blog every single day and get daily free games
http://ajbolakelvin..com/?m=1
both accumulated and single tickets...God has been faithful to us we win every day...so why not give it a try..smile and thank me later...
http://ajbolakelvin..com/?m=1..AND ALSO
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SURE 2.0plus ODDS SINGLE GAMES EVERY BLESSED DAY..YOU CAN CONTACT ME VIA WATS APP ON THIS LINE 08136480042...CONTACT ME TODAY. AND SMILE..
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:37pm On Feb 15, 2016
krattoss:
Hehehehehe.. read somewhere that enyeama posted a pics of the National Team line up at the abs stadium kaduna and captioned it.. "wish this match never took place.. "

and I was like... dude is regretting every bit of his actions right from criticizing the abs stadium to disrespecting oliseh...

maybe he taught he will be missed not knowing that ikeme the Saviour is there anytime anyday... (thanks to his heroic saves)..

lessons.. never think u are the only one that can do the job.. cos soldier go.. soldier come
He should have resigned honorably and not as a result of crisis. The timing was not good for both of them.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:47pm On Feb 15, 2016
BascoVanVeli:
Taaa for where? If you were in Oliseh's Shoes, would you go begging that kind of person? The truth is that Enyeama lied against his boss, but people do not want to consider that part just because they are carried away by V. Enyeama's heroics.

V. Enyeama is the one to reach out to his boss, if she feels he still has a lot to offer to the team.

On my own, I did love to have him in the national team so that the younger goal keepers can learn from, but to think Oliseh is the one that needs to reach out to Vincent, is not just cool.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:55pm On Feb 15, 2016
Orkpekyandega:

Taaa for where? If you were in Oliseh's Shoes, would you go begging that kind of person? The truth is that Enyeama lied against his boss, but people do not want to consider that part just because they are carried away by V. Enyeama's heroics.

V. Enyeama is the one to reach out to his boss, if she feels he still has a lot to offer to the team.

On my own, I did love to have him in the national team so that the younger goal keepers can learn from, but to think Oliseh is the one that needs to reach out to Vincent, is not just cool.

Nothing was proven to be a lie. Enyeama said what he said and Oliseh did the same. Till date no player has confirmed anything. All i know is the man's mother died so excuse him for being emotional, that is completely natural it's not like he did what our African brother Aurier did. We have to realize that every player has his own personality and sometimes they make errors they are good at playing football no one said they should be good speakers too. Enyeama committed no crime and he is the safest hand we have so why not in a do or die match up.....

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:36am On Feb 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
West Ham Fans Attack Emenike Over Missed Chance Vs Norwich
[/size]
[img]http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/emenike-why-retire-now/[/img]
By James Agberebi:
Emmanuel Emenike has come under heavy criticism from West Ham United fans after missing a clear-cut chance which would have given the Hammers all the three points against Norwich on Saturday.

The game which eventually ended 2-2, saw Emenike who came in as a second half substitute, presented with a golden opportunity in the 90th minute, to put the ball past John Ruddy but he managed to miscue.

According to t urkish-football.com, some of the fans took to Twitter to vent their frustration on the former Super Eagles striker’s miss.

An apparent Fenerbahce fan @Turkish_Troll blasted Emenike for his usual misses.

“Emenike: Business as usual.”
A West Han fan @whufc_george pleaded that Fenebahce have Emenike back.

“Take emenike back please,” he tweeted.
On his part @cYerrell, tweeted: “Emenike is literally retarded.”
Another fan @George_Poynter expressed disbelief following the miss.

“Can’t believe Emenike’s miss right at the end of the match, he really should have scored.”
But in his reaction, @JackLebeau66 posited that introduction of Victor Moses and Emenike changed the complexion of the game.

“Emenike & Moses changed the game, end to end game, very bad refereeing, support was average,” he tweeted.

However, @Diafra_Payet expressed confidence that the forward needs a run of games to prove his worth to the team.
Read Also: Flying Eagles Draw Burundi, Congo In U-20 AFCON Qualifiers

“I know Emenike could’ve done better but at least he is getting in the positions… Needs to get a couple of games to settle in the league!”
www.completesportsnigeria.com/west-ham-fans-attack-emenike-over-missed-chance/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:38am On Feb 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Onazi: We’ll Give Egypt Clashes Our Best Shot
[/size]
[img]http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/suspended-onazi-backs-eagles-to-beat-tanzania/[/img]
By David Meshioye:
Super Eagles and SC Lazio midfielder, Ogenyi Onazi, has charged Nigerians to rally behind the national team as they host the Pharaohs next month at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium, Kaduna.

Nigeria need at least four points from the home and away tie with the Pharoahs of Egypt to stand a chance of qualifying for 2017 Africa Cup of Nations slated for Gabon.

However, Onazi has expressed confidence in the ability of coach Sunday Oliseh to come up with a crack side for the clash, claiming that all hands will be on deck to do Nigeria proud.

“We will give it our best shot, all we ask from Nigerians is to pray for the team and then come out to cheer us to victory,” Onazi said.

The first match, originally scheduled for 23 March in Kaduna, will now be played on 26 March, with the return leg in Egypt on 29 March. Egypt are top of the log for Gabon 2017, with six points from two matches.

Nigeria are in second place with four points, Tanzania are third with just a point, while Chad are bottom without any point.

Only winners of each group will automatically advance to the biennial championship in Gabon in January 2017, while the best group runners-up stand a chance.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/onazi-well-give-egypt-clashes-best-shot/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:42am On Feb 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AFCON Qualifiers: Oliseh In Desperate Search For Egypt Tapes
[/size]

By David Meshioye:
In a desperate move to ensure Nigeria get results against the Pharoahs of Egypt in next month’s Africa Cup of Nations 2017 qualifiers, Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh has commenced a search for his opponents’ match footage.

In an exclusive chat with Complete Sports, the former Nigeria captain said his major aim is to put Nigeria in the driver’s seat in Group G by defeating Egypt in Kaduna on March 26 and then get a decent result in the resturn leg in Egypt.

Oliseh has ordered some of his scouts to get him the tapes at all costs, pointing out that the current Egyptian team has evolved from a struggling side to a more experienced national team since Hector Cuper took over the reins.

“We have been working round the clock to get the tapes,” Oliseh said.
“I have some loyalists who have been working hard to secure those tapes for the coaching crew and I am hopeful of getting them.

“We have been working on how the team plays but getting their match footage will go a long way to bolster our preparations for the AFCON qualifier which is a must win for us by the special grace of God.”

Hector Cuper’s men lead Group G with six points from two games, and a result against Sunday Oliseh’s men in Kaduna would put them in pole position to qualify for the 2017 African football showpiece billed for Gabon, having missed out of the last three editions.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/39287-2/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:44am On Feb 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ejike Uzoenyi Attracts SuperSport United Interest
[/size]
[img]http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/oliseh-super-eagles-lack-quality-players/[/img]
By Izuchukwu Okosi:
Former Rangers International of Enugu midfielder Ejike Uzoenyi is attracting the attention of SuperSport United coach Stuart Baxter who says he has a week to decide whether or not to sign the dimunitive Nigerian.

Uzoenyi who was the Most Valueable Player of the 2014 African Nations Championship in South Africa has spent the past few weeks training with Matsatsantsa after failing to make an impact at former club Mamelodi Sundowns.

“Ejike has been working with us but because we have had a lot of games, I haven’t had really had time to look at him," Baxter told KickOff.

“This is because we prepare at training for games and you do not get time to look at all the players.
I don’t think he has had an opportunity to show what he can do."

Baxter who has previously coached the South African national team, Bafana Bafana, however hinted that Uzoenyi's price tag will be key to whether he will be a player of Supersport United.

“I know he can play, but I want to to give an educated assessment based on the bigger picture of who are foreign players, where he will fit in and how much he will cost, and I’ll will do that probably midweek," the coach added.

“I will have a couple of training sessions and then speak to management and see how it goes.”

Uzoenyi made an impression at CHAN two years ago and was snapped up by Mamelodi Sundowns.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/ejike-uzoenyi-attracts-supersport-united-interest/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:00am On Feb 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Europe: Iheanacho, Ehizibue on target, Success, Gabriel Reuben also feature
Biyi Akangbe
[/size]
By: biweluozo Martins
A weekend of football action across Europe with scintillating performances from various subdivision/leagues
SoccerNet Nigerian evaluates the Nigerian players performances abroad on Sunday.

IN ENGLAND
At the Emirate stadium, Arsenal’s Alex Iwobi’s not listed in
Arsenal’s match day squad as the Gunners defeated high flying Leicester city 2 – 1 at home.

At the Villa Park, Liverpool winger Jordon lbe was on the bench for the entire duration of the game while team mate Seyi Ojo was not listed in the Liverpool match day squad as the Red destroyed Aston Villa by 7 – 0, At the Ethihad stadium Kelechi Iheanacho came for Brazilian midfield player Fernando in the 66th minute and restored parity with a brilliant goal for Man city at 1 – 1 as city lost 1 – 2 to visiting Tottenham Hotspur.

IN ITALY
Joel Obi Chukwuma lasted the entire 90 minutes on the bench as his club side Torino FC claimed a 1 – 3 away win at Palermo.

IN SPAIN
Granada talented forward Isaac Success was on for the entire duration of the game while team mate Henry Uche Agbo was not listed in match day squad as Real Sociedad defeated Relegation threatened Granada 3 – 0.

IN FRANCE
Elderson Echiejile lasted the distance for his French side as Monaco as they drew 1 – 1 with host saint-Etienne.

IN HOLLAND
The Anglo – Nigerian (German-Born) right back (20) lasted the entire duration of the game and added gloss to the score line as he scored in the 90th minute to give PEC Zwolle 3 – 1 win over Dutch giant Feyenoord.

IN BELGIUM
Joseph Akpala was in action for 71 minutes for Gertrude FC and was replaced by Ivorian forward Gohi Bi Cyriac while team mate Saviour Godwin did not make the match day squad, Club Brugge defensive mid field player Mikel Agu was not listed in Club Brugge 2 – 0 away win over host Oostende F C.

IN PORTUGAL
Abdullahi Shehu lasted the entire duration of the game who side Uniao de Madeira last 3 – 0 to host Arouca FC. Super Eagles midfielder Anderson Esiti made a cameo appearance in the 5th minute of the game as he replaced Leo Bonatini as his side Estoril defeated visiting Tondela 2 – 1, Gabriel Reuben was on for 90 minutes, Uche Nwofor was on the bench of the entire duration of the game while Boavista terminate Michael Uchebo was not Listed in match day squad while Academic worldlier was missing totally from action as Boavista draw 0 – 0 with visiting Academica.

PORTUGAL (DIVISION)
Nigeria mid fielder Sunday Abalo lasted 83rd minute of the game for Leixoes SC and was replaced by Shihao Wei as Victoria de Guimaraes B defeated Leixoes FC 1 – 0.

IN AUSTRIA
Olarenwaju Kayode lasted the distance for Austria Wien and was baked in the 14th minute of the fame as Austria Wien last 0 – 3 at home of visiting rapid Wien.

IN SWITZERLAND
Anglo-Nigerian Manuel Akanji was on the bench for the entire 90 minute for FC Based as the Swiss giants claimed a massive 0 – 4 victory over Grasshopper FC.

IN GREECE
Nigerian midfielder Abdul Ajagun lasted the entire duration of the game for Levadiakos as host Panaitalikos defeated vesturing Levadiakos 2 – 0.

TURKEY
John Chibuike was in action for the entire duration of the game for Gaziantepsor or while teammate Gbenga Arokoyo was not listed in match day squad as Gaziantepsor or lost 0 – 1 to visiting side Akhisor Belediye Genclik Ve Spor FC.

Michael Eneramo was not listed in Sivasspor match day squad while Rizerpor’s Godfrey Oboabona was in action for the entire duration of the game as Sivasspor defeated visiting Rizespor 2 – 1.

TURKEY DIVISION
Chikeluba Ofoedu featured for Samsunspor and was on target in the 20 minute of the game as Samsunspor claimed a 2 – 3 win over Sanliurtaspor

IN CYPRUS
Former flying Eagles defender Ganiu Ogungbe was in action for 90 minutes as his club side Ethnikos Achnas lost 2 – 0 to Aris Limassol.

IN ISRAEL
Nigeria mid field player Nosakhare Igiebor was in action for his clubside Maccabi-Tel Aviv as they defeated Maccabi Netanya 1 – 3 away from home.
www.soccernet.com.ng/2016/02/europe-iheanacho-ehizibue-on-target.html

[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:05am On Feb 16, 2016
[size=14pt]
Manchester City can still win EPL – Iheanacho
[/size]
Manchester City now lies six points behind leaders Leicester City in the English Premier League title race, but Nigeria youngster Kelechi Iheanacho has insisted the club could still fight back and win the championship this season.

Iheanacho came off the bench to score his third EPL goal on Sunday, but it was not enough as City fell 1-2 to title chasers Tottenham Hotspur.

“We will close the gap (between us and front runners),” africanFootball.com quoted the ex- Flying Eagles star as saying to Manchester City Television.

“We were very disappointed we lost, no one is happy, but we will come back stronger.

“We will put this defeat behind us and keep going for the next games. We will work hard and concentrate for every game.”
thenationonlineng.net/manchester-city-can-still-win-epl-iheanacho/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:16pm On Feb 16, 2016
[size=14pt]
Elderson returns from injury in France
[/size]

Monaco's Nigeria -full back Elderson (left)

Elderson Echiejile returned from injury to play the full game as Monaco forced Saint Etienne to a 1-1 draw Sunday.

The Nigeria defender has been sidelined by a hamstring injury he picked up in training since the New Year.

Monaco are second on the table with 46 points from 26 matches, six points clear of third-placed St.Etienne.

Ligue 1 leaders PSG are 24 points clear at the top.
http://africanfootball.com/news/611621/Elderson-returns-from-injury-in-France

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:16pm On Feb 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Obafemi Martins China move not completed - Seattle Sounders
[/size]

Obafemi Martins

Seattle Sounders general manager Garth Lagerwey has disclosed Obafemi Martins transfer to China has not yet been finalised.

Lagerwey confirmed that Obafemi Martins, 31, is not with the club at training camp in Walnut, California, and that there is interest in the Nigerian forward from a Chinese club.

"It could take a while to have that resolved," said the top official of the MLS club.

"And there's really nothing we can add at this point."

Lagerwey said that the club hope to know more in the coming days, and that this situation doesn't change how the club train and prepare for this week's CCL match with Club America.

"We'll do what we need to do, we have contingency plans. If that third DP spot opens up, it gives us a lot more roster flexibility and the ability to implement our long-term vision for this team," he said.

All of this makes Martins' departure sound rather certain, but Lagerwey dangled the possibility that the deal could fall through: "If it doesn't, then we'll have Obafemi Martins back and that'll be a good thing, too."
http://africanfootball.com/news/611705/Obafemi-Martins-China-move-not-completed-Seattle-Sounders
[/b]

1 Like

[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria/Egypt: AFCON Qualifier - CAF, NFF Keeping us in the Dark
[/size]
Egyptian Football Association (EFA) officials said they have not received any notification on the postponement of the African Cup of Nations Cup qualifiers between the Super Eagles and the Pharaohs originally billed for March 23.

The Nigeria Football Federation claimed that it has received the African soccer ruling body, CAF's blessing to shift the game from March 23 to 26 to enable it get the match venue, Ahmed Bello Stadium ready.

"No official letters have been received yet regarding the Nigeria-Egypt game's rescheduling and we'll announce when we get confirmation," the association board member Ehab Lehitah said on the EFA official website.

"Egypt will start a training camp ahead of the qualifiers on 23 February, four days before they play Burkina Faso in a friendly at the Borg El-Arab Stadium, Alexandria," Lehitah added.

The match is a must win for the Super Eagles if they hope to qualify for the 2017 AFCON. But it seems the postponement will benefit the Pharaohs as it will give their players ample time to rest after a heavy schedule involving their players in continental soccer contest. Key players from Ahly and Zamalek clubs have commitments between 18-20 March, a week before the two-leg national teams clash.

Egypt will host the reverse leg tie on March 28 in Cairo.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201602161258.html
[/b]

(1) (2) (3) ... (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.