Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,241 members, 7,811,668 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:55 PM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (73) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (248040 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 4:23pm On Dec 03, 2015
forgiveness:

First of all, prior to the derby and Bristol city games, Aluko missed 5 full matches (Middlesbrough, Brentford, Birmingham, Milton Keyness Don and Leicester city) between 24th of October - 7th November, and only saw 21 minutes of football after coming out from injury. Tell me, what do you want me to expect from him(unfit or about to) against one of the most highly rated and fit team in the league?

You said you didn't see a single thing Aluko did on the field. Haba! Bros, you sure say you watch the match without blinking your eyes? Who initiated those brilliant moves that unlocked the Man City defense and allowed Diame the attempt at goal? If a better Striker had that chance Diame had he must surely score.

But how come Sterling couldn't do anything within the time frame Aluko was on the pitch? Remember he played for good 11 minutes before Aluko was substituted. Kelechi came in 3 minutes before Aluko came off. But during those periods, I didn't see what they played.

Bros, so you mean Hernandez and Snodgrass came into the game only for Hull city to conceded 3 more goals? Lol. Tactical blunder.
Oh! I see they managed to create a consolation goal and nothing more. grin

In a nutshell, Akpom and Aluko were criticized for losing possession that lead to the first goal and that's all.
Shallom.

[b]Stats don't lie, buddy!

You said Hull Controlled the game while Aluko was on. That was a lie. I gave you the official stats. It was 62% for City against 38% for Hull.

You said injuries affected Aluko's game. That cannot be true. It does not matter how many times you have been away, games get you fit. This is not Nigeria where players are introduced as soon as they recover. These people have physiotherapists who get you ready long before you are even introduced to trainings. Except it's a do-or-die game, these trained personnel dont allow rushing into games. Aluko has been fit since early last month and even played two games prior to Man City game. So where is the excuse of injuries?

Also, you need to make up your mind. You cannot say Aluko made Hull control the game (which is a lie) and then say he did not play well cos he was injured (which is not true). Which is which? Did he play well or did he not?

If you read my comment well, you will realize that I said it was the combination of both Sterling and Kelechi that broke Hull's back. Both of them! And you must be the only one who didnt see that Sterling was already making a mincemeat of Hull's defence as soon as he was introduced. He was all over the place.

Which brilliant move did Diame not convert? How come fans didn't descend on him if it was such a great move? How come even with Bony's goal, he was still widely criticized for the way he played the game? Why was it not the same with Diame?

You compared Hernandez and Snodgrass that has a shot on target each in their less than 30 mins of playing with Aluko who had ZERO shots or attacking moves in his 73 mins of being on the pitch? Cmon!

Well, if you at least confessed that he lost possession that led to that crucial first goal, then you have helped the cause of the fans.[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by forgiveness: 5:44pm On Dec 03, 2015
joseph1013:

[b]Stats don't lie, buddy!

You said Hull Controlled the game while Aluko was on. That was a lie. I gave you the official stats. It was 62% for City against 38% for Hull.

You said injuries affected Aluko's game. That cannot be true. It does not matter how many times you have been away, games get you fit. This is not Nigeria where players are introduced as soon as they recover. These people have physiotherapists who get you ready long before you are even introduced to trainings. Except it's a do-or-die game, these trained personnel dont allow rushing into games. Aluko has been fit since early last month and even played two games prior to Man City game. So where is the excuse of injuries?

Also, you need to make up your mind. You cannot say Aluko made Hull control the game (which is a lie) and then say he did not play well cos he was injured (which is not true). Which is which? Did he play well or did he not?

If you read my comment well, you will realize that I said it was the combination of both Sterling and Kelechi that broke Hull's back. Both of them! And you must be the only one who didnt see that Sterling was already making a mincemeat of Hull's defence as soon as he was introduced. He was all over the place.

Which brilliant move did Diame not convert? How come fans didn't descend on him if it was such a great move? How come even with Bony's goal, he was still widely criticized for the way he played the game? Why was it not the same with Diame?

You compared Hernandez and Snodgrass that has a shot on target each in their less than 30 mins of playing with Aluko who had ZERO shots or attacking moves in his 73 mins of being on the pitch? Cmon!

Well, if you at least confessed that he lost possession that led to that crucial first goal, then you have helped the cause of the fans.[/b]

OK, I understand what you meant by controlling the game. Yours is about the possession but I was talking about Hull-city game plan, soak the pressure and go for the counter. Didn't they do that very well?
Remember, Chealse vs Barcelona UEFA semi final? Game plan that is what I mean.

How many matches did he miss before the two matches? 5 matches

How many minutes of football did he see in those two matches? 21 minutes: 6 minutes and 15 minutes respectively. As you can see, he needed time to blend and pick up.

Bros, I just saw the replay now and I can say, yes, Aluko did helped Hull-city to control the game (my concept of control) yesterday. To help control the game isn't tantamount to playing well. That question is meant for his coach to answer and not us. Ours is just to give opinions and that's all.

He gave Diame two through passes but unfortunately Diame didn't react quickly to those passes.

So, what do you want Aluko to do about Diame's inability to read tactical moves?

You said that the combination of Sterling and Kelechi broke Hull's back, that also is not true. The second goal was a through pass to Sterling before he crossed the ball into the box, notice I said into the box because it was not really an exceptional cross. Hull City defenders could have cleared the ball even before Kelechi had a touch. So, It was a defensive error. The third goal also came as a result of another defensive blunder. It was Hull City defender that assisted the goal and not Kelechi. The fourth goal was keeper's blunder.

Aluko didn't have a short at goal! That's not true. Out of the 5 shot on goal Hull had, Aluko had one shot at goal and the second was off target. Remember, he was not the point man. Go through BBC commentaries again it is there.

You are right, Aluko and Akpom were only criticized for the error that lead to the first goal. That goal disrupted their game plan. The fans knew that.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 6:15pm On Dec 03, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

This man might not have done much internationally but he is slowly becoming Nigeria's football ambassador. To be honest what he has accomplished so far has been mind blowing.

I just pray he doesn't become a 'Lionel Messi' for us.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 6:29pm On Dec 03, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Bony urges ‘brother’ Iheanacho to be patient
[/size]
[img]http://africanfootball.com/news/590476/Bony-urges-brother-Iheanacho-to-be-patient[/img]
Manchester City's Wilfried Bony celebrates after scoring against Hull City

by Stephane DeSaintsalvy
The two African forwards were on target during City’s 4-1 win over Hull City in the League Cup quarterfinals on Tuesday, with Iheanacho coming on for the Côte d’Ivoire international on 71 minutes.

“I see him as my brother, because he has come from Africa, like me, so I give him lots of advice, on how to handle pressure,” Bony said about the 19-year-old.

“We have things in common, so I talk to him a lot – he sits close to me so I see him every day. It's good for me to push him to do it the right way.

“And he is a striker, so it's always good when he scores. It makes me happy as well.

“He has time – he is only 20 so has another 15 years in front of him to become a player in the team.”

The Citizens will travel to Stoke City on Saturday, in matchday 15 of the English Premier League.
africanfootball.com/news/590476/Bony-urges-brother-Iheanacho-to-be-patient
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 6:33pm On Dec 03, 2015
[size=14pt]
Nigeria Drop Seven Places Again In FIFA Rankings
[/size]

The Super Eagles have slid down by seven places in the latest FIFA rankings which were announced on Thursday.

The 2013 African champions fell from 59th to 66th, dropping 41 points from 582 to 541.

Nigeria had also dropped seven places from 52nd to 59th last month, making it a cumulative drop of 14 places in just two months.

The Super Eagles played two matches in November, a goalless away draw with Swaziland and a 2-0 home win against the same opponents.

Nigeria's ranking in Africa is now 14th, behind the likes of Uganda and Mali.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/nigeria-drop-places-fifa-rankings/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:16pm On Dec 03, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa Manchester City
Iheanacho deserves Manchester City place - Pellegrini
[/size]

Iheanacho (right)

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has said Nigeria youngster Kelechi Iheanacho has deserved his promotion to the main team from the youth side.

On Tuesday night, Iheanacho scored in a 4-1 thrashing of Hull City on Tuesday to reach the semi-final of League Cup.

The 19-year-old striker has now scored three goals this season for Manchester City.

Pellegrini has now said the FIFA U17 World Cup winner at UAE 2013 has justified his a place in the team and his progress determine his future.

"It is good that Kelechi (Iheanacho) is getting goals and doing well. He has shown he merit to play for the team in all competitions,” he remarked.

"He is young and always ready to learn. His progress and improvement will determine his future."
africanfootball.com/news/590147/Iheanacho-deserves-Manchester-City-place-Pellegrini
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:27pm On Dec 03, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
EXCLUSIVE: Kehinde Fatai set for Romania switch
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/8c/98/kehinde-fatai_1j586gaw33sda16157f6drf7ha.jpg?t=-1682110338&w=620&h=430[/img]
After featuring for the Flying Eagles at the 2009 U20 World Cup in Egypt, the 25-year-old Sparta Prague forward is ready to swap his Nigerian nationality

Former Flying Eagles striker Kehinde Fatai is set to play for the Romanian national team after being ignored by the Super Eagles, Goalcan exclusively report.

Goal obtained exclusive quotes from the player courtesy of sport journalist Oma Akatugba's upcoming show, "African Internationals".

The Sparta Prague forward confirmed that the Romanian FA have approached him but that his debut is being stalled by the lack of a Romanian passport and Fifa approval. He has lived in Romania since 2007 after moving there to feature for FC Farul Constanta.

“It was last year the Romania FA came after I played some Europa League games for my club in Romania, before I moved to Prague. So the national team coach approached me and talked with me personally. Two days after then, they announced on TV that they want me to play for them and the president of the Romanian federation invited me and had some discussion with me about it. And they went to Fifa to talk about it that they want me to play for them. So [the fact that I’d played] for Nigeria in the youth team, [made them] put in [application] to fight for this,” Fatai said.

The only thing holding him back now is a Romanian passport, which should be issued in no time once the global body approves.

“This is what we’re waiting for, Fifa has to give them some response in a couple of weeks then I’ll take my passport,” he said.

The former Astra Giurgiu talisman noted that the Romanians are more interested in his service as a result, he’s turning his focus towards them instead of Nigeria.

“I think Romania people are more focused on me because I played for Nigeria in the youth level but since then I think I’ve been playing every year in the Champions League or Europa League constantly since 2009 but I’ve never got any calls, nothing, nobody showed interest. I think I don’t belong there, and these people here showed more concern and interest.”

Fatai, who last played for Nigeria in the 2012 Olympic qualifiers against Tanzania, revealed that his greatest aspiration would have been to play for his country of birth.

“It’s my dream since I was little," he said. "I really wanted to play for Nigeria. It was a very very big dream I planned and wanted so much. I got the chance to play in the U20 World Cup with coach Samson Siasia and he discovered me in that tournament. Since that tournament, nobody called, national team (Super Eagles) nobody called. I was only called after then once for the U23 game against Tanzania. Since then it’s five years or six years.”

The Abuja-born attacker highlighted his consistency with his club side and pointed that as a merit to get a call up from the Super Eagles. Fatai joined Sparta Prague in May 2015 and has scored eight goals in thirteen appearances for his new club.

“I will not say I deserve or maybe they do not think I deserve it. But not all Nigerian football players playing in Europe play in these tournaments [Champions league and Europa league] and I’m not just present there, I am playing very well there, so I think I deserve maybe, I am not saying it is obligatory."

Fatai does not rule out appearing for the Super Eagles if the chance comes up but he would like to be assured that it would be more than a token appearance before abandoning Romania's call.

“I don’t know, we are talking about chance, maybe. It is not sure, it is something to think, it has to be real. It’s not just like 'Kenny come for this friendly game' or 'Fatai you are invited for just one game', then it will not continue again. I want to play for the national team, I want to play for Nigeria. If it’s not working, I will like to play for other countries that want me," he said.

The former JUTH FC player affirmed that he is unperturbed with his omission from the national team and feels that every regular player deserves an opportunity to wear the green and white jersey. Even then, he would continue to be a supporter of the team.

“If it worries me, I won’t even go for the last game because I was free in Prague and I went to watch Nigeria in Belgium in their last game and I’m not worried, I’m not upset. It is just that I think everyone that is doing well in his club side like regularly, deserves a chance.

“I don’t want to talk about better or something. Just give other people chance or so if they deserve it,” he concluded.
m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4078/exclusives/2015/12/02/17937522/exclusive-kehinde-fatai-set-for-romania-switch
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:36pm On Dec 03, 2015
BlackAlbino6:
I just pray he doesn't become a 'Lionel Messi' for us.
If he can take us to the world cup finals without being perfect im all for it.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:49pm On Dec 03, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Enyeama Stops St Etienne As Ezekiel, Eleke, Henty Score
[/size]

By James Agberebi:
Nigerian forward Imoh Ezekiel was on target for Anderlecht in the Belgian Cup against Kortrijk on Wednesday night but it was not enough as they lost 4-2. Ezekiel was later substituted in the 60th minute for Idrissa Sylla.

Genk, parading Nigerian defender Wilfred Ndidi, advanced into the next round following their 5-4 penalty shootout win against Sporting Charleroi. Both teams had played 1-1 in regulation time.

In the Slovenian league, Ezekiel Henty scored for Olimpija who beat Zavrc 2-1 away.

Henty found the back of the net in the 64th minute to secure the win for Olimpija.

Still in Slovenia, Blessing Eleke was also on target for Gorica who pipped Rudar Velenje 1-0. Eleke struck with four minutes left in the encounter.

In the French Championat, former Super Eagles skipper Vincent Enyeama kept a clean sheet as Lille beat visiting Saint-Etienne 1-0.

Lille’s goal was scored by Yassine Benzia in the 61st minute.
Also in France, Elderson Echiejile was introduced for Mario Pasalic in the 84th minute in AS Monaco’s 1-1 home draw against Caen.

Guido Marcelo Carrillo had put Monaco ahead on 56 minutes before Sylvio Ronny Rodelin restored parity for Caen in the 86th minute.

In the Portuguese league, Super Eagles right-back Abdullahi Shehu featured for Uniao da Madeira who were thrashed 4-0 at home by 10-man FC Porto. He saw action for 90 minutes.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/enyeama-stops-st-etienne-ezekiel-eleke-henty-score/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 8:45pm On Dec 03, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Salami Delighted With Rashidi Yekini Top Scorer Award
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
Warri Wolves forward Gbolahan Salami is delighted to be the first recipient of the maiden Rashidi Yekini Highest Goal Scorer Award instituted in the late striker’s honour.

Salami who scored 17 Glo Premier League goals to beat Esosa Igbinoba of Nasarawa United FC, Tunde Adeniji of Sunshine Stars of Akure and Chisom Chikatara of Abia Warriors FC to the award thanked his Warri Wolves teammates for helping him achieve the feat.

“Thanks so much all my fans, thanks to the Rashidi Yekini foundation for this award, thanks to all Warri Wolves players and fans that made it possible,” Salami told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

“It’s an honour to win this award for the fans.”
Aside from winning the award the former Shooting Stars striker also got a cash prize of N100,000 and one of the boots used by the late Yekini as an incentive and souvenir.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/salami-delighted-rashidi-yekini-top-scorer-award/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 8:46pm On Dec 03, 2015
Atleast the NFF is beginning to reason with their heads.

Good Good Good Good Good Good

[b][size=14pt]
Pinnick: NFF Want Oliseh To Learn From Guardiola, Enrique
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
Nigerian Football Federation President Amaju Pinnick has debunked media reports suggesting that the body is planning to appoint a "heavyweight coach" to help solve the Super Eagles lack of goals under coach Sunday Oliseh.

Pinnick told Comple tesportsnigeria.com at the Muritala International airport Lagos on Thursday that the NFF are not just about winning but winning games with class.

“So far 100% Oliseh has delivered for us and we are very impressed with him and have had no cause to regret his appointment. I was reading in the media that we were in the market to shop for a “heavyweight” coach; that is completely wrong,” Pinnick told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

“What I said was if goalscoring was a problem there’s need to manufacture how to score goals. If it means interfacing with some coaches who have that knack for their teams to score goals do that I will sponsor it.

“For instance, in the English Premier League, Manchester City is the highest scoring team in England just like Bayern Munich and Barcelona in Germany and Spain.

“There’s no ill saying Oliseh should interface or do an internship with the coaches of these clubs on how to score goals. That’s the level we the FA are looking at to help him succeed well.”

Pinnick however revealed his ambition on how he wants Nigerian football to grow.

“Where we are going to is very ambitious. I want Nigerian clubs to be quoted on the Nigerian stock exchange. I want these clubs to be independent and sustained well on a long term basis,” he added.

“What we need now is the passion to make it work.”
He also stated that the transition of the current U-17 players to various teams in Europe will be solely determined by the Federation, adding that players' International Transfer Certificates won't be issued anyhow to unscrupulous agents
“We are going to make sure that we determine where these players go.

"No ITC will be issued for any player until we know exactly where they are going to and what plans they have for these boys.

“Our own is to ensure they have the best and have a good transition.”
www.completesportsnigeria.com/pinnick-nff-oliseh-learn-guardiola-enrique/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 9:05pm On Dec 03, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

If he can take us to the world cup finals without being perfect im all for it.

Yea that's it. We don't want stars that will only shine for their Clubs and not for national teams, but those who can transform that performance to the national team.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:09pm On Dec 03, 2015
joseph1013:
So why did Diame and Ahmed not have as poor a game as Aluko?

Aluko did not have a poor game. He had a terrible game!

You are yet to answer the questions I asked.

Answer these questions:
Did Hull City park the bus?
If yes, do you expect the attacking players to have a good game?
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:34pm On Dec 03, 2015
BlackAlbino6:
Atleast the NFF is beginning to reason with their heads.

Good Good Good Good Good Good

[b][size=14pt]
Pinnick: NFF Want Oliseh To Learn From Guardiola, Enrique
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
Nigerian Football Federation President Amaju Pinnick has debunked media reports suggesting that the body is planning to appoint a "heavyweight coach" to help solve the Super Eagles lack of goals under coach Sunday Oliseh.

Pinnick told Comple tesportsnigeria.com at the Muritala International airport Lagos on Thursday that the NFF are not just about winning but winning games with class.

“So far 100% Oliseh has delivered for us and we are very impressed with him and have had no cause to regret his appointment. I was reading in the media that we were in the market to shop for a “heavyweight” coach; that is completely wrong,” Pinnick told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

“What I said was if goalscoring was a problem there’s need to manufacture how to score goals. If it means interfacing with some coaches who have that knack for their teams to score goals do that I will sponsor it.

“For instance, in the English Premier League, Manchester City is the highest scoring team in England just like Bayern Munich and Barcelona in Germany and Spain.

“There’s no ill saying Oliseh should interface or do an internship with the coaches of these clubs on how to score goals. That’s the level we the FA are looking at to help him succeed well.”

Pinnick however revealed his ambition on how he wants Nigerian football to grow.

“Where we are going to is very ambitious. I want Nigerian clubs to be quoted on the Nigerian stock exchange. I want these clubs to be independent and sustained well on a long term basis,” he added.

“What we need now is the passion to make it work.”
He also stated that the transition of the current U-17 players to various teams in Europe will be solely determined by the Federation, adding that players' International Transfer Certificates won't be issued anyhow to unscrupulous agents
“We are going to make sure that we determine where these players go.

"No ITC will be issued for any player until we know exactly where they are going to and what plans they have for these boys.

“Our own is to ensure they have the best and have a good transition.”
www.completesportsnigeria.com/pinnick-nff-oliseh-learn-guardiola-enrique/
[/b]

It will be nice If the Amaju Pinnick led NFF can talk with top clubs in Europe to set up Partner academies here in Nigeria and coaching courses to train coaches for the academies. It will be cheaper and benefit more coaches. Thus, increasing the pool of our top coaches.

If we are sending Coaches to camp with Guardiola, we should also send the other National team coaches like Amunike, Garba and Ndukka Ugbade. There was a time Guardiola accepted over five coaches including Zidane and Sagnol.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 5:51am On Dec 04, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Super Sand Eagles Camp Opens Ahead Of Copa Lagos
[/size]

Super Sand Eagles coach, Adamu Ejor, has confirmed his squad will resume camping today, Thursday December 3,2015 in Badagry, Lagos.

Ejor also revealed that young and upcoming beach soccer players would be part of the squad camping ahead the 2015 edition of COPA Lagos tournament.

He disclosed that the team will be revitalized with young players so as to compete favorably with other national teams at the championship slated for December 18-20, 2015, stressing that the young players would be given opportunity to showcase their abilities for future tournaments.

"Super Sand Eagles missed out of the Beach Soccer World Cup in Portugal and as such; there is a need to re-energize the team to compete at the African Nations Beach Tournament and the World Beach Soccer Cup”, Ejor said.

Responding to media suggestion that Isiaka Olawale has been dropped from the team, coach Ejor stated that Olawale is still a member of the team but added that the Dolphins of Port Harcourt midfielder has handed over the captainship responsibilities to Bartholomew Ibenegbu.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/super-sand-eagles-camp-opens-copa-lagos/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 6:18am On Dec 04, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ighalo, Ideye, Ajayi Up For Complete Sports November Player Of The Month
[/size]

Completesportsnigeria and Complete Sports have nominated the three players below for the Complete Sports Player of the Month award for November.

Please, to vote use the Leave A Reply field below the profiles and mention the player you would prefer to win.

Profiles written by JAMES AGBEREBI…
BROWN IDEYE (Olympiacos, England)
Since his move to Greek giants Olympiacos from West Bromwich Albion in the summer, Brown Ideye seems to have found a new lease of life.

The former Dynamo Kyiv striker has been contributing his own fair share of goals for the league leaders, scoring five goals in 10 league appearances so far.

After scoring the crucial goal against Dinamo Zagreb away from home in the UEFA Champions League in October, Ideye continued his good form when Olympiacos entertained Dinamo in the reverse fixture on November 4. Olympiakos went on to win the game 2-1, with Ideye providing the assist for his side's equalizer.

Four days later, Ideye was on target in Olympiacos' 2-0 win against Iraklis in a league clash. He scored the second goal which secured the win for Olympiacos before being substituted with 20 minutes remaining.

In a heavyweight league clash away to rivals Panathinaikos on November 21, Ideye was in the starting line-up but didn't get to kick a ball. The game was abandoned due to crowd trouble with the Greek football authorities awarding three goals and three points to Olympiacos.

Against Bayern Munich at the Allianz Arena on November 24, Ideye suffered a heavy loss with Olympiacos as they were thumped 4-0. Ideye however played throughout the 90 minutes.

Ideye was back among the goals following Olympicos' 3-1 home win against Asteras Tripolis on November 29, he scored his side's third goal with four minutes left.

ODION IGHALO (Watford, England)
Three times winner of the Complete Sports Player of the month award in 2015, and recent nominee for the English Premier League African Player of the month for November, Ighalo has continued to impress with his goals and overall performances for both club and country.

Ighalo, who has netted 24 goals for Watford in this calendar year, has shown no sign of easing off, something which has made him one of the top marksmen in the English top flight.

On November 7, Ighalo and his team-mates travelled to the King Power Stadium to take on high-flying Leicester City.

Unfortunately, they lost 2-1 to a Jamie Vardy inspired side. Despite the defeat, Ighalo saw action for 90 minutes.

Ighalo was invited for the Super Eagles first leg World Cup qualifier against Swaziland which took place on November 13. The game ended 0-0 with Ighalo featuring for 90 minutes.

In the return leg which took place on November 17 in Port Harcourt, Ighalo was also in action and helped the Eagles win 2-0.

Ighalo returned to club assignment on November 21 when Watford welcomed Manchester United at Vicarage Road. After several attempts to restore parity after going a goal down, Ighalo finally won the penalty which led to Watford's equalizer. Unfortunately United went on to win the game 2-1 following a late Troy Deeney's own goal.

Then on November 28, Watford were guests to struggling Aston Villa and at the end of 90 minutes, Watford won 3-2. Ighalo, who was a menace to Villa's defence throughout the encounter, put Watford 1-0 up in the match.

JUNIOR AJAYI (CS Sfaxien, Tunisia)
Currently with the U-23 Eagles in Senegal who are vying to qualify for next year's Olympic Games in Rio, Junior Ajayi seems to have already hit the ground running for CS Sfaxien in Tunisia.

Ajayi rounded off November with a key brace in the U-23 Eagles' 3-2 win against Mali in their opening game, showing that his feat during the team's qualifiers for the All Africa Games and CAF U-23 Cup of Nations was no fluke.

He has managed to find the back of the net four times in six appearances for Sfaxien. And it is believed there is more to come from the former Shooting Stars hit man.

Ajayi scored the only goal in CS Sfaxien 1-0 win away to EO Sidi Bouzid on November 1 in the Tunisian league. He later made way for Houssem Habbassi with six minutes left in the game.

On November 7, Ajayi scored in CS sfaxien's 3-1 home win against Metlaoui. He scored Sfaxien's second goal of the match.

He was in action again on November 20 against Kaironan which ended 2-2. He featured for 90 minutes in the encounter.

Four goals in November for club and country is an impressive return for the youngster, who is making his first appearance as a Complete Sports Player of the Month nominee.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/ighalo-ideye-ajayi-complete-sports-november-player-month/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 6:27am On Dec 04, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

It will be nice If the Amaju Pinnick led NFF can talk with top clubs in Europe to set up Partner academies here in Nigeria and coaching courses to train coaches for the academies. It will be cheaper and benefit more coaches. Thus, increasing the pool of our top coaches.

If we are sending Coaches to camp with Guardiola, we should also send the other National team coaches like Amunike, Garba and Ndukka Ugbade. There was a time Guardiola accepted over five coaches including Zidane and Sagnol.

These are some of the innovations we need in our football, not the usual hire and fire that became the order of the day, in the past.

The NFF should also make a suitable arrangements to organise refresher grade A course for not just the national team Coaches, but all our Nigerian Professional Football league Coaches, where they will be made to listen to and learn from most of the best Coaches in the World. This will enhance their capacity to deliver any time they are called upon.

It will provide for us a pool from which to hire good Coaches for all our national teams, any time any day.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 6:39am On Dec 04, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Running Nigerian football is tough, Pinnick confesses
[/size]

By JOHN JOSHUA- AKANJI
PRESIDENT of the Nigerian Football Federation Amaju Pinnick has been speaking about the challenges of running Nigerian Football. He also bares his mind on the task of repositioning the game, sponsorship, the national teams and sundry issues.

Challenges
Like all other areas of our lives which are undergoing changes, football cannot be an exception.
This government is still settling down, so it will take a while.

While discussing with a friend of mine, he said I came into the saddle in the worst period of Nigerian football, but we have achieved a lot. Whatever are the challenges, we are driven by our passion for the game and the need. to succeed.

Recently someone abused the living daylight out of me. But just as I was wondering what I have done wrong I saw my name in the Sun newspapers as the sports personality of the year. I never lobbied for it, I don’t know how they came by my choice. But I’m motivated that some people appreciate what we have achieved with Nigerian football.

We were able to achieve a lot despite all the challenges, but our ultimate aim is to develop Nigerian football to the highest level. Ours is to harness our football potentials.

Eagles get new kit in April
As part of the new deal with kits manufacturing company Nike, the American company has designed a good sets of jersies for the Super Eagles and all the other national teams which would be unveiled by next April.

On Oliseh
We are quite proud of what Oliseh has achieved since taking charge, so we are one hundred percent behind him. I read a report saying we will get a super coach to boss him, that was not what I said.

What I said was that we will interface with some foreign coaches so that he can learn how to score goals from their teams.

We are happy with him and he remains our Pep Guardiola. we have impacted positively on our football using technology. We are not just interested in trophies, but development. You don’t get to hear of crisis in the English FA, yet the last time they won any trophy was in 1966. We are not against constructive criticisms, but people must realise that Nigerian football is beyond Pinnick.

On Golden Eaglets
We want to monitor our victorious Eaglets to ensure that they don’t sign the wrong contract through some selfish agent. They are our players so we will keep a close watch on them so that they don’t fall victims of greedy agents who may wish to mislead them for selfish reasons.

This is the first seamless transition for the team We will monitor them and ensure that they get the best for them- selves and their families.

We won’t clear any player until we are sure of what they are offering. We want to build a future team with the Eaglets. Wolfsburg have made a tempting offer for Osimhen. We won’t allow them to join just any team.

To ensure proper transition from the Eaglets to the Flying Eagles,
Manu remains Under 20 team coach and is to be assisted by Amunike who remains the Eaglets coach.
sunnewsonline.com/new/running-nigerian-football-is-tough-pinnick-confesses/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 6:41am On Dec 04, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
2018 World Cup: Nigerians will watch opening match 8pm
[/size]
The FIFA Executive Committee has approved the kick-off times for the 2018 FIFA World Cup and the FIFA Confederations Cup 2017 during the first of two days of meetings in Zurich.

The opening match of both tournaments, as well as the FIFA World Cup Final, will be played at 18.00 Moscow time (UTC + 3).

Taking into account time zone considerations, the FIFA Executive Committee also amended the 2018 FIFA World Cup match schedule accordingly by swapping the following matches between Kaliningrad and Ekaterinburg: Match #21 and #26, #32 and #36, #44 and #45.

The next step in the development of the match schedules will be the assignment of kick-off times to matches, factoring in such considerations as daily temperatures and local time zones. Updated versions of the match schedules should be approved in March 2016, during the meeting of the Organising Committee for the FIFA World Cup.

The final match schedules, which will include the participating teams, will be unveiled after the FIFA Confederations Cup Draw, in November 2016, and after the FIFA World Cup Final Draw, in December 2017.
thenationonlineng.net/2018-world-cup-nigerians-will-watch-opening-match-8pm/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 6:46am On Dec 04, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

You are yet to answer the questions I asked.

Answer these questions:
Did Hull City park the bus?
If yes, do you expect the attacking players to have a good game?
Inconsequential questions when you look at his performance against his fellow attacking team mates.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 6:52am On Dec 04, 2015
forgiveness:

OK, I understand what you meant by controlling the game. Yours is about the possession but I was talking about Hull-city game plan, soak the pressure and go for the counter. Didn't they do that very well?
Remember, Chealse vs Barcelona UEFA semi final? Game plan that is what I mean.

How many matches did he miss before the two matches? 5 matches

How many minutes of football did he see in those two matches? 21 minutes: 6 minutes and 15 minutes respectively. As you can see, he needed time to blend and pick up.

Bros, I just saw the replay now and I can say, yes, Aluko did helped Hull-city to control the game (my concept of control) yesterday. To help control the game isn't tantamount to playing well. That question is meant for his coach to answer and not us. Ours is just to give opinions and that's all.

He gave Diame two through passes but unfortunately Diame didn't react quickly to those passes.

So, what do you want Aluko to do about Diame's inability to read tactical moves?

You said that the combination of Sterling and Kelechi broke Hull's back, that also is not true. The second goal was a through pass to Sterling before he crossed the ball into the box, notice I said into the box because it was not really an exceptional cross. Hull City defenders could have cleared the ball even before Kelechi had a touch. So, It was a defensive error. The third goal also came as a result of another defensive blunder. It was Hull City defender that assisted the goal and not Kelechi. The fourth goal was keeper's blunder.

Aluko didn't have a short at goal! That's not true. Out of the 5 shot on goal Hull had, Aluko had one shot at goal and the second was off target. Remember, he was not the point man. Go through BBC commentaries again it is there.

You are right, Aluko and Akpom were only criticized for the error that lead to the first goal. That goal disrupted their game plan. The fans knew that.
I see. So controlling the match has another definition now.

Well, let's just say it wasn't the same match you watched with me and the rest of the fans.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:44am On Dec 04, 2015
joseph1013:
Inconsequential questions when you look at his performance against his fellow attacking team mates.

Simply put it you won't answer. So we can let it rest. When a coach set's up his team to play negatively, you can not blame the attackers for having poor performances.

What is most ridiculous from the Hull fans is that their defence were worse than Akpom and Aluko. For instance, how Iheanacho out ran them to latch unto a cross from Sterling. Iheanacho wanted it more and was more vigilant to beat the slow thinking defenders.

One of the defenders headed the ball towards goal, instead of out for a corner and De Bruyne who wanted it more got to the ball and scored.

The defenders conceded four goals, three in ten minutes but the fans hailed Bruce, the son of the coach for having a good game in a parked bus defence that conceded four goals. They bashed attackers for having poor games in a parked bus set up.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:51am On Dec 04, 2015
joseph1013:
I see. So controlling the match has another definition now.

Well, let's just say it wasn't the same match you watched with me and the rest of the fans.

When forgiveness is talking about controlling the game, he is not talking about domination but preventing Man City from over running the team and flooding them with goals.

He is pointing out that the structure of Hull's balance fell apart as soon as Aluko went out.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:55am On Dec 04, 2015
BlackAlbino6:

These are some of the innovations we need in our football, not the usual hire and fire that became the order of the day, in the past.

The NFF should also make a suitable arrangements to organise refresher grade A course for not just the national team Coaches, but all our Nigerian Professional Football league Coaches, where they will be made to listen to and learn from most of the best Coaches in the World. This will enhance their capacity to deliver any time they are called upon.

It will provide for us a pool from which to hire good Coaches for all our national teams, any time any day.

If Amaju Pinnick and his led NFF pulls off the idea of giving our coaches training with some respected coaches, then I will give him respect.

I also hope we also utilise Coach Monday Sinclair who had Sharks FC playing Tiki Taka long before Arsene Wenger or Luis Van Gaal became popular.

That man spending some few days in the camp with the Super Eagles will spark ideas in Coach Oliseh.

We have smart coaches and a little exposure will do wonders for Nigerian football.

Before we can arrange an agreement with the likes of Guardiola and Enrique, we can make use of our local genius, Coach Monday Sinclair.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:04am On Dec 04, 2015
BlackAlbino6:
[b][size=14pt]
Running Nigerian football is tough, Pinnick confesses
[/size]

By JOHN JOSHUA- AKANJI
PRESIDENT of the Nigerian Football Federation Amaju Pinnick has been speaking about the challenges of running Nigerian Football. He also bares his mind on the task of repositioning the game, sponsorship, the national teams and sundry issues.

Challenges
Like all other areas of our lives which are undergoing changes, football cannot be an exception.
This government is still settling down, so it will take a while.

While discussing with a friend of mine, he said I came into the saddle in the worst period of Nigerian football, but we have achieved a lot. Whatever are the challenges, we are driven by our passion for the game and the need. to succeed.

Recently someone abused the living daylight out of me. But just as I was wondering what I have done wrong I saw my name in the Sun newspapers as the sports personality of the year. I never lobbied for it, I don’t know how they came by my choice. But I’m motivated that some people appreciate what we have achieved with Nigerian football.

We were able to achieve a lot despite all the challenges, but our ultimate aim is to develop Nigerian football to the highest level. Ours is to harness our football potentials.

Eagles get new kit in April
As part of the new deal with kits manufacturing company Nike, the American company has designed a good sets of jersies for the Super Eagles and all the other national teams which would be unveiled by next April.

On Oliseh
We are quite proud of what Oliseh has achieved since taking charge, so we are one hundred percent behind him. I read a report saying we will get a super coach to boss him, that was not what I said.

What I said was that we will interface with some foreign coaches so that he can learn how to score goals from their teams.

We are happy with him and he remains our Pep Guardiola. we have impacted positively on our football using technology. We are not just interested in trophies, but development. You don’t get to hear of crisis in the English FA, yet the last time they won any trophy was in 1966. We are not against constructive criticisms, but people must realise that Nigerian football is beyond Pinnick.

On Golden Eaglets
We want to monitor our victorious Eaglets to ensure that they don’t sign the wrong contract through some selfish agent. They are our players so we will keep a close watch on them so that they don’t fall victims of greedy agents who may wish to mislead them for selfish reasons.

This is the first seamless transition for the team We will monitor them and ensure that they get the best for them- selves and their families.

We won’t clear any player until we are sure of what they are offering. We want to build a future team with the Eaglets. Wolfsburg have made a tempting offer for Osimhen. We won’t allow them to join just any team.

To ensure proper transition from the Eaglets to the Flying Eagles,
Manu remains Under 20 team coach and is to be assisted by Amunike who remains the Eaglets coach.
sunnewsonline.com/new/running-nigerian-football-is-tough-pinnick-confesses/
[/b]

I am glad the boss of Nigerian football knows there is more to the game than trophies. I think we should put results and ranking behind first and give Coach Oliseh the toughest test we can arrange.

We should fight to get some tough friendly games like if we can play the likes of Germany and Belgium.

This will give the coach the chance of knowing the real situation of our football and know the right areas to work on. If we continue playing soft matches, we will feel we are okay but in reality, when we are at major tournaments, we meet teams who are prepared for the toughest test.

My list would be Chile, Spain, Germany, Belgium. Anyone in the near future will be the right test to give Coach Oliseh the push to get the team playing well.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 11:07am On Dec 04, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Simply put it you won't answer. So we can let it rest. When a coach set's up his team to play negatively, you can not blame the attackers for having poor performances.

What is most ridiculous from the Hull fans is that their defence were worse than Akpom and Aluko. For instance, how Iheanacho out ran them to latch unto a cross from Sterling. Iheanacho wanted it more and was more vigilant to beat the slow thinking defenders.

One of the defenders headed the ball towards goal, instead of out for a corner and De Bruyne who wanted it more got to the ball and score.

The defenders conceded four goals, three in ten minutes but the fans hailed Bruce, the son of the coach for having a good game in a parked bus defence that conceded four goals. They bashed attackers for having poor games in a parked bus set up.

Interesting! You attribute the victory to Aluko, and not to Kelechi. Quite brilliant! Sterling would not outrun the defender if Aluko was there? Kelechi would not outpace the defevder if Aluko was there? The defender would not misplace Kelechi's header on Kevin's path if Aluko was there? Hull would not have conceded the freekick if Aluko was there? WOW...I didn't know Aluko is the Alpha and Omega of that team. No wonder he was the man of the match.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:16am On Dec 04, 2015
joseph1013:

Interesting! You attribute the victory to Aluko, and not to Kelechi. Quite brilliant! Sterling would not outrun the defender if Aluko was there? Kelechi would not outpace the defevder if Aluko was there? I didn't know Aluko is the Alpha and Omega of that team. No wonder he was the man of the match.

Who said Aluko is an Alpha and Omega. I am saying Aluko will not perform well in such a defensive set up and the Hull fans should not bash him. Their coach chose to play negatively and the attacking players will not flourish.

I am acknowledging Nacho's dedication and brilliance. He did not give up even though the cross came to the front of the defenders. Iheanacho ran faster than the defenders, stuck his leg in between them and scored.

That is pure brilliance and the Hull fans should criticize the Hull defenders for not showing the kind of Hunger the City attacking players showed.

The defenders deserved more sticks thrown at them than at Aluko and Akpom. Aluko was on the field when they conceded only one goal. Why should he get more criticism than defenders who were on the pitch when the team conceded four goals.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 11:42am On Dec 04, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Who said Aluko is an Alpha and Omega. I am saying Aluko will not perform well in such a defensive set up and the Hull fans should not bash him. Their coach chose to play negatively and the attacking players will not flourish.

I am acknowledging Nacho's dedication and brilliance. He did not give up even though the cross came to the front of the defenders. Iheanacho ran faster than the defenders, stuck his leg in between them and scored.

That is pure brilliance and the Hull fans should criticize the Hull defenders for not showing the kind of Hunger the City attacking players showed.

The defenders deserved more sticks thrown at them than at Aluko and Akpom. Aluko was on the field when they conceded only one goal. Why should he get more criticism than defenders who were on the pitch when the team conceded four goals.

How do you know it was a defensive setup? What formation did Hull use?
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:33pm On Dec 04, 2015
joseph1013:

How do you know it was a defensive setup? What formation did Hull use?

Tell me what formation they used. I asked you before did they set up to attack or defend, you said it is inconsequential. You watched the game, tell me whether they set up to attack or defend.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by forgiveness: 12:52pm On Dec 04, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

When forgiveness is talking about controlling the game, he is not talking about domination but preventing Man City from over running the team and flooding them with goals.

He is pointing out that the structure of Hull's balance fell apart as soon as Aluko went out.

Yeah! You got my point.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 1:03pm On Dec 04, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Tell me what formation they used. I asked you before did they set up to attack or defend, you said it is inconsequential. You watched the game, tell me whether they set up to attack or defend.

You said they had a defensive setup. I asked how you knew it was a defensive setup when you didnt watch the match. Still waiting for your answer.

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.