Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,923 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:27 PM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (72) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (247954 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 6:33pm On Dec 02, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

How do the Hull fans expect a brilliant display from Aluko when he chose to park the bus. There is no way a striker can cope and do well against a pressing Man City who are more in numbers.

His usual chase-and-cut moves were dismal. He was not the sharp Aluko I watched last season.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:43pm On Dec 02, 2015
joseph1013:

His usual chase-and-cut moves were dismal. He was not the sharp Aluko I watched last season.

Look at CR7 against Barcelona. He was not as sharp as we know. Look at Isco when he came on, his skills did not work.

That is what happens when a team is on the defensive and the attacking team is more in number. The attacking players are crowded. The skills will not work out well because he is crowded. The defenders of Hull will look good because they are defending in numbers, that is they are more defenders.

Attacking players are mostly poor in parked bus formations.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 6:55pm On Dec 02, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Look at CR7 against Barcelona. He was not as sharp as we know. Look at Isco when he came on, his skills did not work.

That is what happens when a team is on the defensive and the attacking team is more in number. The attacking players are crowded. The skills will not work out well because he is crowded. The defenders of Hull will look good because they are defending in numbers, that is they are more defenders.

Attacking players are mostly poor in parked bus formations.
How many matches of Aluko have you watched this season? Did you watch yesterday's game?
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:50pm On Dec 02, 2015
joseph1013:

How many matches of Aluko have you watched this season? Did you watch yesterday's game?

I did not watch yesterday's game but logic shows that an attacking player can not thrive in a parked bus scenario. Did you watch the last El Classico? Tell me one attacking Madrid player that had a good game.

You can not criticise an attacking player for having a poor game in a parked bus formation.

So I wonder what the number of Aluko's games you have watched has to do with this. I am not disagreeing he was poor. In that kind of formation, he must perform poorly.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:56pm On Dec 02, 2015
joseph1013:

[b]Sportsmole rating of Real Madrid attacking players of the last El Classico games.

James Rodriguez: Returned to the XI following injury, but was played in a deep role and saw little of the ball in the first period. Started the second half well, but was replaced in the 55th minute. (6/10)

Attack

Cristiano Ronaldo: Had a difficult night, but was comfortably his team's best attacker. Would have finished the night with a couple of goals but for some excellent goalkeeping from Claudio Bravo. (6/10)

Karim Benzema: Has only just returned from a lay-off and also has off-the-field concerns at the moment. Nowhere near the player that he was at the start of the season. Just not fit enough. (5/10)

Gareth Bale: Another that has only just returned from injury and another that struggled to make an impression. Looked dangerous in possession, but was pretty non-existent for long stages. (5/10)

Substitutes

Isco: Set up a good chance for Ronaldo after entering in the 55th minute, but was sent off late on for a really poor challenge on Neymar - kicking out at the Brazilian when the ball had gone. (4/10)

So Blasting the attacking players on a defensive formation is wrong because they hardly perform in such formation.

Talk less of Hull City with a team with limited abilities against Man City.[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by qotaqa: 8:08pm On Dec 02, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

[b]Sportsmole rating of Real Madrid attacking players of the last El Classico games.

James Rodriguez: Returned to the XI following injury, but was played in a deep role and saw little of the ball in the first period. Started the second half well, but was replaced in the 55th minute. (6/10)

Attack

Cristiano Ronaldo: Had a difficult night, but was comfortably his team's best attacker. Would have finished the night with a couple of goals but for some excellent goalkeeping from Claudio Bravo. (6/10)

Karim Benzema: Has only just returned from a lay-off and also has off-the-field concerns at the moment. Nowhere near the player that he was at the start of the season. Just not fit enough. (5/10)

Gareth Bale: Another that has only just returned from injury and another that struggled to make an impression. Looked dangerous in possession, but was pretty non-existent for long stages. (5/10)

Substitutes

Isco: Set up a good chance for Ronaldo after entering in the 55th minute, but was sent off late on for a really poor challenge on Neymar - kicking out at the Brazilian when the ball had gone. (4/10)

So Blasting the attacking players on a defensive formation is wrong because they hardly perform in such formation.

Talk less of Hull City with a team with limited abilities against Man City.[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 8:20pm On Dec 02, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

I did not watch yesterday's game but logic shows that an attacking player can not thrive in a parked bus scenario. Did you watch the last El Classico? Tell me one attacking Madrid player that had a good game.

You can not criticise an attacking player for having a poor game in a parked bus formation.

So I wonder what the number of Aluko's games you have watched has to do with this. I am not disagreeing he was poor. In that kind of formation, he must perform poorly.
This is interesting! You didn't watch a game yet you feel qualified to talk about the nitty gritty of the game. Isn't that something?

You probably didn't watch the Barca's game, if not you'd know that Madrid didn't play a defensive game. Casimero, who had started 10 straight games before that match was benched cos CR7 and other senior players prevailed on Benitez not to be defensive. So, he was dropped totally from the game.

Again, how you feel qualified to analyse a game you didn't watch is surprising to me.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:33pm On Dec 02, 2015
joseph1013:
This is interesting! You didn't watch a game yet you feel qualified to talk about the nitty gritty of the game. Isn't that something?

You probably didn't watch the Barca's game, if not you'd know that Madrid didn't play a defensive game. Casimero, who had started 10 straight games before that match was benched cos CR7 and other senior players prevailed on Benitez not to be defensive. So, he was dropped totally from the game.

Again, how you feel qualified to analyse a game you didn't watch is surprising to me.

I watched El Clasico. I gave up the Liverpool vs City game to watch it. I know for sure Madrid did not park the bus but I am using it as a scenario because Barca dominated the game and the attacking players of Madrid did not get enough chances to express themselves.

I repeat, Logically, in a parked bus formation, the attacking players hardly have a good game.

Answer these questions:
Did Hull City park the bus?
If yes, do you expect the attacking players to have a good game?
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 8:35pm On Dec 02, 2015
joseph1013:

To be sincere with you Sir, Aluko may need a fresh baptism to regain the form and confidence he exhibited last season, which made him cause havoc to opposing defenders.

An Aluko of last season needed just few minutes to change games, just the same way Kelechi Iheanacho is doing at Mancity.

I don't just think it's just all about formation. I want to see him in the Super Eagles, but let him up his game first.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:36pm On Dec 02, 2015
joseph1013:

[b]In the Bayern Munich vs Dinamo Zagreb match that ended 5-0. This was sportsmole's player ratings.

Paulo Machado: Often the creative force in this side, but he struggled to get on the ball on a regular basis and the game passed him by. (4/10)

Domagoj Antolic: One of the few who looked composed in possession. However, he was often caught out of position when Bayern stepped up the tempo of their plays. (5/10)

El Arabi Hilal Soudani: Dinamo's best player, but that counted for little in this loss. A threat when he came inside from the wing and could have made more of an impact with better support. (6/10)

Junior Fernandes: Wasteful in possession. Fancied his chances with some speculative long-range strikes, but his failure to find teammates regularly only invited more pressure from Bayern. (4/10)

Attack

Marko Pjaca: Difficult to be too critical of a wide attacker who was asked to lead the line for the visitors. Worked hard off the ball but looked frustrated with the lack of support he received. (6/10)

Do you think the fans of Dinamo should blast the players?
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:39pm On Dec 02, 2015
justiz5:

To be sincere with you Sir, Aluko may need a fresh baptism to regain the form and confidence he exhibited last season, which made him cause havoc to opposing defenders.

An Aluko of last season needed just few minutes to change games, just the same way Kelechi Iheanacho is doing at Mancity.

I don't just think it's just all about formation. I want to see him in the Super Eagles, but let him up his game first.

Aluko having a poor form is not my problem. My problem is the fans of Hull blasting him and Akpom in a game the whole team was dominated.

There is no way the attackers can have a good game if the team is dominated.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 8:46pm On Dec 02, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

I watched El Clasico. I gave up the Liverpool vs City game to watch it. I know for sure Madrid did not park the bus but I am using it as a scenario because Barca dominated the game and the attacking players of Madrid did not get enough chances to express themselves.

I repeat, Logically, in a parked bus formation, the attacking players hardly have a good game.

Answer these questions:
Did Hull City park the bus?
If yes, do you expect the attacking players to have a good game?
[b]Your point is getting muddled. Stop with saying 'logically'. What does that even mean in this context.

Are you saying that for every game in which one team dominated the other that we do not have bright spots?

The reason I'm reluctant to discuss this game with you is because you did not watch it. Hernandez and Snodgrass came in for Akpom and Aluko respectively and they played better than the duo removed. So what's your point?

Even in this case, I wasn't referring to the collective team effort to affect Aluko's game, I'm referring to what he did with the ball when he had it. Inaccurate passes. Was that the team's fault? Wayward shooting. Was that the team's fault? Inability to successfully complete 1-on-1 with Otamendi. Was that the team's fault?

I know you have the obligation to defend your countrymen, but at least watch the games you want to defend them on, perhaps you would be able to manufacture some points from that. Yesterday, the adventureness in Aluko was non-existent.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 8:48pm On Dec 02, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Aluko having a poor form is not my problem. My problem is the fans of Hull blasting him and Akpom in a game the whole team was dominated.

There is no way the attackers can have a good game if the team is dominated.

Get your point Sir

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 8:51pm On Dec 02, 2015
justiz5:

He thinks it's all about formation. I think his major problem is that he didn't watch the game, else he'd know that Robertson did very well eventhough the team was dominated.

Aluko was dismal in the game. Period.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:54pm On Dec 02, 2015
joseph1013:
[b]Your point is getting muddled. Stop with saying 'logically'. What does that even mean in this context.

Are you saying that for every game in which one team dominated the other that we do not have bright spots?

The reason I'm reluctant to discuss this game with you is because you did not watch it. Hernandez and Snodgrass came in for Akpom and Aluko respectively and they played better than the duo removed. So what's your point?

Even in this case, I wasn't referring to the collective team effort to affect Aluko's game, I'm referring to what he did with the ball when he had it. Inaccurate passes. Was that the team's fault? Wayward shooting. Was that the team's fault? Inability to successfully complete 1-on-1 with Otamendi. Was that the team's fault?

I know you have the obligation to defend your countrymen, but at least watch the games you want to defend them on, perhaps you would be able to manufacture some points from that. Yesterday, the adventureness in Aluko was non-existent.
[/b]

That is exactly what I am saying. You can not make clean passes as an attacking player if the team is dominated. I do not need to watch the Dinamo Zagreb Bayern Munich match to know the Dinamo attacking players had a bad game. If you check, skills will fail and passes will be missed.

It is not a Nigeria thing. It is a case if a side defending and expecting that attacking players to have a good game.

Most times in these kind of games, the Substitutes of the defending side play better because now, the team will push further.

If you check the Dinamo game, the Substitutes will play better.

So blasting Akpom and Aluko is wrong because the coach set them up to play poorly.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:56pm On Dec 02, 2015
joseph1013:
He thinks it's all about formation. I think his major problem is that he didn't watch the game, else he'd know that Robertson did very well eventhough the team was dominated.

Aluko was dismal in the game. Period.

Did I say Aluko was fantastic. I said he was bound to have a poor game because the coach decided the team was to defend.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 8:58pm On Dec 02, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

That is exactly what I am saying. You can not make clean passes as an attacking player if the team is dominated. I do not need to watch the Dinamo Zagreb Bayern Munich match to know the Dinamo attacking players had a bad game. If you check, skills will fail and passes will be missed.

It is not a Nigeria thing. It is a case if a side defending and expecting that attacking players to have a good game.

Most times in these kind of games, the Substitutes of the defending side play better because now, the team will push further.

If you check the Dinamo game, the Substitutes will play better.

So blasting Akpom and Aluko is wrong because the coach set them up to play poorly.
So why didn't they blast Livermore, even Robertson? At least those two were not substitutes. Or are they goal keepers?

You think they condemned the performances of Akpom and Aluko cos they are Nigerians?

Go watch the game and stop with the speculations. How did you know they pushed further when you didn't watch the game? Mere conjectures!
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 9:07pm On Dec 02, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Did I say Aluko was fantastic. I said he was bound to have a poor game because the coach decided the team was to defend.
So why did Diame and Ahmed not have as poor a game as Aluko?

Aluko did not have a poor game. He had a terrible game!
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:46am On Dec 03, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Pellegrini hails Bony and Iheanacho
[/size]

Bony celebrates his goal

Speaking after their 4-1 League Cup win over Hull City on Tuesday night, Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has hailed strikers Wilfried Bony and Kelechi Iheanacho.

Both the Cote d’Ivoire and the Nigerian internationals were on target for the Blues as they cruised into the semifinals of the tournament.

The Elephants forward opened the scoring in early stages of the tie, Kevin De Bruyne netted his brace as well as one from the Super Eagles starlet.

"I am very pleased because that was a difficult game against a good team at the top of the table in the Championship,” said the manager.

"The most important thing was to qualify for the semi-final - but it was also important for him to have 80 minutes after a long injury.

"It was also important for Bony to play for 65 minutes after he only recovered from a muscle injury a few days before Saturday, and it was good for Kelechi to score.

"He is a very young player. He wants to learn more every day and scoring goals is important for his development.

"It is great for all the players to be involved in all competitions."
The Citizens will hope to continue with their winning run as they meet Stoke City in their next English Premier League encounter on Saturday at Britannia Stadium at Stoke-on-Trent in Staffordshire.
mtnfootball.com/news/590138/Pellegrini-hails-Bony-and-Iheanacho
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:55am On Dec 03, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
EXCLUSIVE: Kehinde Fatai set for Romania switch
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/8c/98/kehinde-fatai_1j586gaw33sda16157f6drf7ha.jpg?t=-1682110338&w=620&h=430[/img]
After featuring for the Flying Eagles at the 2009 U20 World Cup in Egypt, the 25-year-old Sparta Prague forward is ready to swap his Nigerian nationality
Former Flying Eagles striker Kehinde Fatai is set to play for the Romanian national team after being ignored by the Super Eagles, Goal can exclusively report.

Goal obtained exclusive quotes from the player courtesy of sport journalist Oma Akatugba's upcoming show, "African Internationals".

The Sparta Prague forward confirmed that the Romanian FA have approached him but that his debut is being stalled by the lack of a Romanian passport and Fifa approval. He has lived in Romania since 2007 after moving there to feature for FC Farul Constanta.

“It was last year the Romania FA came after I played some Europa League games for my club in Romania, before I moved to Prague. So the national team coach approached me and talked with me personally. Two days after then, they announced on TV that they want me to play for them and the president of the Romanian federation invited me and had some discussion with me about it. And they went to Fifa to talk about it that they want me to play for them. So [the fact that I’d played] for Nigeria in the youth team, [made them] put in [application] to fight for this,” Fatai said.

The only thing holding him back now is a Romanian passport, which should be issued in no time once the global body approves.
“This is what we’re waiting for, Fifa has to give them some response in a couple of weeks then I’ll take my passport,” he said.

The former Astra Giurgiu talisman noted that the Romanians are more interested in his service as a result, he’s turning his focus towards them instead of Nigeria.

“I think Romania people are more focused on me because I played for Nigeria in the youth level but since then I think I’ve been playing every year in the Champions League or Europa League constantly since 2009 but I’ve never got any calls, nothing, nobody showed interest. I think I don’t belong there, and these people here showed more concern and interest.”

Fatai, who last played for Nigeria in the 2012 Olympic qualifiers against Tanzania, revealed that his greatest aspiration would have been to play for his country of birth.

“It’s my dream since I was little," he said. "I really wanted to play for Nigeria. It was a very very big dream I planned and wanted so much. I got the chance to play in the U20 World Cup with coach Samson Siasia and he discovered me in that tournament. Since that tournament, nobody called, national team (Super Eagles) nobody called. I was only called after then once for the U23 game against Tanzania. Since then it’s five years or six years.”
The Abuja-born attacker highlighted his consistency with his club side and pointed that as a merit to get a call up from the Super Eagles. Fatai joined Sparta Prague in May 2015 and has scored eight goals in thirteen appearances for his new club.

“I will not say I deserve or maybe they do not think I deserve it. But not all Nigerian football players playing in Europe play in these tournaments [Champions league and Europa league] and I’m not just present there, I am playing very well there, so I think I deserve maybe, I am not saying it is obligatory."

Fatai does not rule out appearing for the Super Eagles if the chance comes up but he would like to be assured that it would be more than a token appearance before abandoning Romania's call.

“I don’t know, we are talking about chance, maybe. It is not sure, it is something to think, it has to be real. It’s not just like 'Kenny come for this friendly game' or 'Fatai you are invited for just one game', then it will not continue again. I want to play for the national team, I want to play for Nigeria. If it’s not working, I will like to play for other countries that want me," he said.

The former JUTH FC player affirmed that he is unperturbed with his omission from the national team and feels that every regular player deserves an opportunity to wear the green and white jersey. Even then, he would continue to be a supporter of the team.

“If it worries me, I won’t even go for the last game because I was free in Prague and I went to watch Nigeria in Belgium in their last game and I’m not worried, I’m not upset. It is just that I think everyone that is doing well in his club side like regularly, deserves a chance.

“I don’t want to talk about better or something. Just give other people chance or so if they deserve it,” he concluded.
m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4078/exclusives/2015/12/02/17937522/exclusive-kehinde-fatai-set-for-romania-switch
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:16am On Dec 03, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Rashidi Yekini Foundation Picks Date To Honour Gbolahan Salami
[/size]

Rashidi Yekini Foundation has concluded plan to honour the 2015 Nigerian Professional Football League (NPFL)’ highest goal scorer, Gbolahan Salami on 3rd December in an event slated for media center of Obafemi Awolowo Stadium Ibadan.

Cash incentive of one hundred thousand naira and one of the soccer boots used by the late ‘Goal-King’ would be presented to the Warri Wolves striker who netted 17 goals to emerge top.

The event according to the counsel to late Yekini, Barr. Jubril Olanrewaju Mohammed who is also a member and spokesperson of the Yekini Foundation is in fulfillment of the pledge made by the foundation to institute an award for the NPFL top scorer in memory of the late Super Eagles’ legend, Rashidi Yekini who died more than three years ago.

The first daughter of Yekini, Mariam that is schooling at Leicester University United Kingdom according to the lawyer and the second one, Yemisi that had just gained admission to study law in University of Ilorin are expected to grace the event and present the award to the winner.

“The main objective of the foundation is to etch the name ‘Yekini’ in a sand of times, because we have come to realized that, it won’t be easy organizing a memorial event for him annually, but instituting an award in our league where my late client had recorded highest goals severally and also with the national team would be more logical”, the counsel noted
Other dignitaries expected at the event includes the colleagues of late Yekini, officials of Shooting Stars Sports Club (3SC), Ibadan based ex-internationals and well-wishers.
www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=17113
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:18am On Dec 03, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Kayode Olanrewaju Helps Austria Vienna Secure Three Points
[/size]

Kayode Olanrewaju assisted Austria Vienna beat Bright Edomwonyi’s Sturm Graz on game week 18 in the Bundesliga on Wednesday night.

The ex Flying Eagles star played 89 minutes ofThe Violetshard fought 2 - 1 win over the visitors at the Generali Arena (Wien), netting his eighth goal of the season six minutes before half - time.

Sturm Graz took the lead in the third minute through Sascha Horvath before the Nigerian equalized, then Gorgon popped up with the match winner for the capital side in the 81st minute.

Only two players have bettered Kayode Olanrewaju’s goals tally after 18 rounds, Soriano (Salzburg, 13 goals) and Gorgon ( Austria Vienna, 10 goals).

Following their tenth win of this season, Austria Vienna continue to top the standings with 35 points in the kitty.
www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=17121
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:21am On Dec 03, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Oshaniwa's heart beats for Eagles
by Calvin Emeka Onwuka
[/size]

Juwon Oshaniwa

February 10th 2013 was the day of the AFCON final with the Nigerian Super Eagles taking on Burkina Faso. Just after half time with Nigeria leading courtesy of Sunday Mba's goal, left-back Elderson Echiejile pulled up and was replaced by Juwon Oshaniwa, then of Ashdod in Israel. It was his first game of the tournament.

Surely he must have been nervous.
“People don't understand what is meant by a squad game. That a player is on the bench does not mean he is not capable. I knew I was capable and so when I got on all I was thinking was I have to do my part to ensure we keep a clean sheet and therefore become champions. I was not nervous at all."

Anyone who saw that match will believe him as the Super Eagles won a third Afcon title.

Juwon Oshaniwa won his national team caps under Stephen Keshi but has not won another since the 2-2 draw in Uyo last year that condemned Nigeria to losing their Afcon trophy.

"It was a deeply sad day in the dressing room after that disappointment. We gave ourselves a lot to do following the first defeat in the group but we thought we could get that win, especially at home to take us through. Sadly, that did not happen."

Since that match in Uyo Kingsley Madu and Chima Akas have played in that left back position along with Echiejile for new coach Sunday Oliseh.

Does Oshaniwa desire to be back?
"It is always an honour to play for my country. Very few things can match playing for huge country like Nigeria. I expect the new coach to be doing things his way and checking out some players. I know what I'm able to bring to any football team. He was at the Brazil World Cup and saw me, so he knows what I am capable of doing. I am always available to play for my country."

Speaking of the World Cup, Oshaniwa was also going to Brazil as Echiejile's back-up until the Monaco defender pulled out through injury.

"I had no idea he had pulled out until we were travelling within the US for a friendly with the USMNT. I had a fever before that last friendly but I told the coaching crew that I would play. I got a few injections and played the full match."

In Brazil, Oshaniwa emerged with credit as he played the four matches Nigeria featured in.

"It is every footballer's dream to play at the World Cup. So for me on getting there I made up my mind to give 100 percent and make sure my country was not let down."

Playing in the Scottish Premiership regularly with Hearts and the experience of playing and winning the Afcon means that Oshaniwa is certainly able to win more caps for the Super Eagles.

"As long as I keep playing well for my club I believe I will get more caps," he concluded.
www.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/151204/Oshaniwas_heart_beats_for_Eagles
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by forgiveness: 8:09am On Dec 03, 2015
justiz5:

Aluko was just coming back from injury prior to Hull-city last two matches and I wasn't expecting him to play. Going into details of the match against Manchester city, he was the playmaker of his team and that was why Hull-city was able to control the game but as soon as he was removed, Man city was able to control the game and that resulted to 3 more goals.

Aluko seems to be a playmaker than a Striker and I think he played very very well against Manchester city.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 10:42am On Dec 03, 2015
forgiveness:

Aluko was just coming back from injury prior to Hull-city last two matches and I wasn't expecting him to play. Going into details of the match against Manchester city, he was the playmaker of his team and that was why Hull-city was able to control the game but as soon as he was removed, Man city was able to control the game and that resulted to 3 more goals.

Aluko seems to be a playmaker than a Striker and I think he played very very well against Manchester city.

[b]Man City scored the three goals, not cos Aluko was removed but cos Kelechi and Sterling were introduced. Their speed and movements destabilised their defence. Sterling made his trademark run to cross for Kelechi for the first goal. It was a goal he shouldn't have scored. The second goal was as a result of Kelechi winning an aerial ball for Kevin and the last was a direct freekick.

After Hernandez and Snodgrass were introduced, Otamendi and Mangala especially started making errors at the back, hence their only goal. I didnt see a single thing Aluko did right in that match. Oga, Hull City did not control the game whilst Aluko was on the pitch o. Please check the Stats. It was 62% for City and 38% for Hull. Haba bros!

And you cant blame injuries for that performance. How can you not expect him to play. That's preposterous! The guy's been fit since early last month and has even played two matches before the Man City game; matches in which eventhough they did not win, the fans did not single him out for condemnation. He played against Derby and Bristol City. He is fully fit.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 11:30am On Dec 03, 2015
[b][size=14pt]MARKED MAN IGHALO VOWS TO WORK HARDER[/size]

Nigeria international Odion Ighalo has revealed that been the target of opposing defenders has made him to work a lot harder to get more goals for Watford in the EPL.

Ighalo, who attracted defenders to himself whenever his team attack, said the opponents feel he is Watford danger man and therefore strive to stop him by all means, but all that has made him a better player.

"Opposing defenders are always around me because they feel I am the danger man of my team, so there are always two players marking me. That has really help me grow more, to get better and work harder preparing for every game because I now realise it will take real hard work to score goals," Ighalo said.

The Watford striker, who is the third leading scorer in the EPL this season with eight goals, said he was delighted with a hard-earned victory over Aston Villa at the weekend.

"The game against Aston Villa was tough and difficult, but thank God we won," Ighalo said.[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/590411/Marked-man-Ighalo-vows-to-work-harder

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:19pm On Dec 03, 2015
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]MARKED MAN IGHALO VOWS TO WORK HARDER[/size]

Nigeria international Odion Ighalo has revealed that been the target of opposing defenders has made him to work a lot harder to get more goals for Watford in the EPL.

Ighalo, who attracted defenders to himself whenever his team attack, said the opponents feel he is Watford danger man and therefore strive to stop him by all means, but all that has made him a better player.

"Opposing defenders are always around me because they feel I am the danger man of my team, so there are always two players marking me. That has really help me grow more, to get better and work harder preparing for every game because I now realise it will take real hard work to score goals," Ighalo said.

The Watford striker, who is the third leading scorer in the EPL this season with eight goals, said he was delighted with a hard-earned victory over Aston Villa at the weekend.

"The game against Aston Villa was tough and difficult, but thank God we won," Ighalo said.[/b]

This man might not have done much internationally but he is slowly becoming Nigeria's football ambassador. To be honest what he has accomplished so far has been mind blowing.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by forgiveness: 3:44pm On Dec 03, 2015
joseph1013:

[b]Man City scored the three goals, not cos Aluko was removed but cos Kelechi and Sterling were introduced. Their speed and movements destabilised their defence. Sterling made his trademark run to cross for Kelechi for the first goal. It was a goal he shouldn't have scored. The second goal was as a result of Kelechi winning an aerial ball for Kevin and the last was a direct freekick.

After Hernandez and Snodgrass were introduced, Otamendi and Mangala especially started making errors at the back, hence their only goal. I didnt see a single thing Aluko did right in that match. Oga, Hull City did not control the game whilst Aluko was on the pitch o. Please check the Stats. It was 62% for City and 38% for Hull. Haba bros!

And you cant blame injuries for that performance. How can you not expect him to play. That's preposterous! The guy's been fit since early last month and has even played two matches before the Man City game; matches in which eventhough they did not win, the fans did not single him out for condemnation. He played against Derby and Bristol City. He is fully fit.[/b]

First of all, prior to the derby and Bristol city games, Aluko missed 5 full matches (Middlesbrough, Brentford, Birmingham, Milton Keyness Don and Leicester city) between 24th of October - 7th November, and only saw 21 minutes of football after coming out from injury. Tell me, what do you want me to expect from him(unfit or about to) against one of the most highly rated and fit team in the league?

You said you didn't see a single thing Aluko did on the field. Haba! Bros, you sure say you watch the match without blinking your eyes? Who initiated those brilliant moves that unlocked the Man City defense and allowed Diame the attempt at goal? If a better Striker had that chance Diame had, he must surely score.

But how come Sterling couldn't do anything within the time frame Aluko was on the pitch? Remember he played for good 11 minutes before Aluko was substituted. Kelechi came in 3 minutes before Aluko came off. But during those periods, I didn't see what they played.

Bros, so you mean Hernandez and Snodgrass came into the game only for Hull city to conceded 3 more goals? Lol. Tactical blunder.
Oh! I see they managed to create a consolation goal and nothing more. grin

In a nutshell, Akpom and Aluko were criticized for losing possession that lead to the first goal and that's all.
Shallom.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by forgiveness: 4:02pm On Dec 03, 2015
grin in fact, I am watching the replay now now. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.