Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,155 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:54 PM

Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building (33188 Views)

These Are Stages Involved In Building A House / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction / How Far Can 3million Naira Go In Building A 4 Bedroom Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by generaliy07(m): 9:01am On May 18, 2015
Ok
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by thefakestan: 9:03am On May 18, 2015
Nice thread, even the Chief of NL was reading along, because of his "new" building.

-CramJones

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by sweathold(m): 9:10am On May 18, 2015
Hmm
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by akpamfet: 9:10am On May 18, 2015
This is the kind of discussions we need here. cool
Not "Tonto dike.unclad pictures" or "see what happened to this goat in damaturu."
undecided

5 Likes

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by money121(m): 9:23am On May 18, 2015
kay29000:
Hmm! This is the reason I plan to buy a house, out-rightly when I have the money, and not go through all these wahala. Anyway,if you have problem lasting long in bed, hit me up on BBM- 7C22F6EC.
\
buy a house that was built with inferiors quality??

6 Likes

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by kay29000(m): 9:26am On May 18, 2015
money121:
\
buy a house that was built with inferiors quality??

No. Bluehedge Realtors are really great and I have had an expert check them out. So, when I am ready to buy that bungalow I plan to buy soon, I'll just get one of theirs. Thank you.
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by Nobody: 9:29am On May 18, 2015
Definitely following.
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by money121(m): 9:30am On May 18, 2015
kay29000:

No. Bluehedge Realtors are really great and I have had an expert check them out. So, when I am ready to buy that bungalow I plan to buy soon, I'll just get one of theirs. Thank you.
well ur choice but from my own point of view as a youth wen u are ready to get build ur house is better u do it ur self, n used the best quality.. becos as an online maeketer for batlan roof, i swear have learn alot most expecially from does called site engrs undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by kay29000(m): 9:32am On May 18, 2015
money121:

well ur choice but from my own point of view as a youth wen u are ready to get build ur house is better u do it ur self, n used the best quality.. becos as an online maeketer for batlan roof, i swear have learn alot most expecially from does called site engrs undecided undecided undecided undecided

Hmm! Okay. Thanks.
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by muskham(f): 9:34am On May 18, 2015
fost4real:

real estate is a booming business and mad rush for land is the hottest thing going on right now in Ghana but, the locals/average workers are unable to acquire any property sold by these real estate developers due the high cost of the houses being sold. they are very very very expensive! Mortgage is a no-go area for most people here. starting your own project as an average income earner is much better choice as am doing right now. i'm not a building contractor just an ordinary guy trying to build a decent house for myself. one funny observation, average income earners who are bent on getting real estate property here in Ghana only end up with a one bedroom semi-detached house and a small space for future expansion which is laughable. they pay over a period of 5-10 years in dollars. so just imagine, if the local currency drops in value they suffer for it. Some end up losing their properties if they fail to pay within the stipulated time.
anyway, your posts and this forum actually helped in shaping my house. wink

Hi, I will like to do a property of my own as well in Ghana, I will like to you help me with these questions. I met a mason who gave me a workmanship of 5000ghs to lay blocks for a five bedroom to lintel level, do you think it is a ripped off? how much do they normally charge. thanks. the foundation is already done. the land is in amashiama in accra
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by latola05(m): 9:37am On May 18, 2015
I like this thread because its very educative and eye opening, but I have an issue with Nigerian building materials sellers. Even if you go to site with your tape and discover that the 9" inches block you are paying for is just 8" , I am not sure if there is a court to drag them to for compensation. Lawyers in the house, where can one get justice against those building materials sellers that cheat? How can we make them comply with implied terms of agreement? I guess its not all about just detecting the fraud, it should also extend to making them know that justice can be found.
I am always furious anytime I discover this menace and they continue doing it.

4 Likes

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by since1914(m): 9:43am On May 18, 2015
The biggest rip-off is that which building owners bring upon themselves by failing to hire the right people to manage their projects. In a supposed bid to save money, they end up hiring quacks, probably a moderately experienced Mason, whose nickname is 'Engineer'. These guys have no formal technical knowledge and worst of all, they have no conscience. Homeowners who hire the right professionals, hardly get cheated, because most experienced building professionals only work with subcontractors and suppliers whom they have known and worked with for quite a long while, hence most of the aforementioned issues rarely occur, because no one wants to jeopardise a long - standing beneficial relationship. The bottomline is, hire a building professional you trust and he will bring on board suppliers & subcontractors he trust.

I run a Design & Build Consultancy in Abuja, and one of the things I often notice is that most clients don't do any preliminary work on their own before rushing to the site, they are in a haste to start buying blocks and cement, even before they have taken out time to fully understand the requirements of their project. That is why, before I commence any project, I ensure that a proper Bill of Quantity is prepared. This way, the owner can view item by item how much he will be spending on materials and labour. He can even decide to take the bill to several other professionals for vetting to be sure the quotes are correct. Finally, there should always be a building contract or some sort of agreement signed by the homeowner and his building contractor. This way everyone is clear on what their obligations are. Hiring professionals might look expensive initially, but it will always be cheaper in the long run, considering the damage quacks could do to your building project.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by eledacedar(f): 9:52am On May 18, 2015
segzy14:
@spyder880, I think it is " chaka "plate not checkered plate, please correct me if I am wrong.

The correct word is checkered but our artisans call it chaka. Them no dey speak oyinbo for world of artisans.

5 Likes

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by adanny01(m): 9:55am On May 18, 2015
When i ordered for 0.55mm aluminum long span step roofing sheets, the supplier brought 0.55mm quite alright but all other accessories where 0.45mm.

1 Like

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by rossi49ja(m): 10:06am On May 18, 2015
segzy14:
@spyder880, I think it is " chaka "plate not checkered plate, please correct me if I am wrong.
Humble student learning the rope also. Spyder880 is right, word is checkered. chaka is commonly used by artisans who are not in the know.
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by eromspete(m): 10:08am On May 18, 2015
You're wrong bro. Its Checkered plate as @spyder880 rightly spelt.

What is "Chaka" plate cheesy grin grin grin grin

segzy14:

1 Like

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by eromspete(m): 10:17am On May 18, 2015
Finally, someone who insists pre-construction processes/procedures be done properly. Many propective homeowners/clients are always in a rush to buy materials and listening to all sorts of inaccurate/misleading information.

Proper estimation and documentation is key to avoid future disappointments and issues

since1914:
The biggest rip-off is that which building owners bring upon themselves by failing to hire the right people to manage their projects. In a supposed bid to save money, they end up hiring quacks, probably a moderately experienced Mason, whose nickname is 'Engineer'. These guys have no formal technical knowledge and worst of all, they have no conscience. Homeowners who hire the right professionals, hardly get cheated, because most experienced building professionals only work with subcontractors and suppliers whom they have known and worked with for quite a long while, hence most of the aforementioned issues rarely occur, because no one wants to jeopardise a long - standing beneficial relationship. The bottomline is, hire a building professional you trust and he will bring on board suppliers & subcontractors he trust.

I run a Design & Build Consultancy in Abuja, and one of the things I often notice is that most clients don't do any preliminary work on their own before rushing to the site, they are in a haste to start buying blocks and cement, even before they have taken out time to fully understand the requirements of their project. That is why, before I commence any project, I ensure that a proper Bill of Quantity is prepared. This way, the owner can view item by item how much he will be spending on materials and labour. He can even decide to take the bill to several other professionals for vetting to be sure the quotes are correct. Finally, there should always be a building contract or some sort of agreement signed by the homeowner and his building contractor. This way everyone is clear on what their obligations are. Hiring professionals might look expensive initially, but it will always be cheaper in the long run, considering the damage quacks could do to your building project.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by Kingsasian(m): 10:32am On May 18, 2015
[quote author=kay29000 post=33847237]Hmm! This is the reason I plan to buy a house, out-rightly when I have the money, and not go through all these wahala. You jst said my mind.

1 Like

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by Boo3nity(m): 10:53am On May 18, 2015
Nice of you to educate us on these sharp building practices.
Say, how far can/will #1.2m go in a quest to erect a three bedroom bungalow?
P.S: Given the current building materials price list.
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by Goziemartins: 11:01am On May 18, 2015
dgitrader:
SAND
When buying sands, there are tricks
One is deliberate Underfilling of the tippers, if u look from the ground level, it appears full, but when u go higher to see the sand before they drop it, u will find a wide hollow of sand in the center of the tipper truck.

Also, if they are to drop several trips in the same spot, they gradually reduce each trip while they heap each on another, making the shortage very less obvious.

Finally, up north, 10tires tippers of sharp sand is about 25k, but shockingly it's not up to the volume of 3 trips of small tippers of 7k each. Just some ways of misleading buyers.

Brother, they have a special method of "arranging" the sand in a a tipper bucket called "Ashawo bed"....where the centre is almost empty but the sides are filled to the brim so that one will see it as if its the proper quantity. ....

4 Likes

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by smsdigito: 11:12am On May 18, 2015
Quite educative post. I need it now morethan ever before because i will soon begin my personal project IJN. Amen

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by nacotic(m): 11:15am On May 18, 2015
vry educative thread
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by Graceovereffort(f): 11:21am On May 18, 2015
eledacedar:

The correct word is checkered but our artisans call it chaka. Them no dey speak oyinbo for world of artisans.
YEA very right,its checkered plate. Dats what we deal on,Everything u need in steel industry,we supply galvanized plates,angle iron,channels,mild steel pipes and steel fittings at Royal Martins global ltd cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by Mishydoo(m): 11:52am On May 18, 2015
What if u get a trustworthy contractor to oversee the project?....sm1 with experience in building to be there 24 hrs monitoring what and what is done...that way u might not need to concern urself with all dis.
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by bosunjohns(m): 12:03pm On May 18, 2015
spyder880:
This thread is created to highlight all possible ways you could lose your money without knowing it in the building industry, I will be adding stories and pictures from my experiences while buying materials, negotiating deals and supervising works. You can add yours too, lets get balling.......

Following
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by Dominionng(m): 12:33pm On May 18, 2015
Tiling....

If you bought tiles to cover 1200sqm and you paid your Tiler labour charge for the said coverage area. If you are left with almost 30bags of broken tiles, how do you explain that?

i.e A tiler tends to do excess tiles measurement making room for "off-cuts" and broken tiles. Hence, since the said measurement is more than the real coverage area, the same measurement shouldn't be used for the labour charge.

Dominion Decor.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Build And Renovate Your Dream House With A Registered Building Construction Firm / Desmond Flats At Ogombo By Nexthome / Tallest Residential Sprayed Concrete Tower To Be Built In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.