Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,259 members, 7,815,412 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building (33223 Views)

These Are Stages Involved In Building A House / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction / How Far Can 3million Naira Go In Building A 4 Bedroom Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by spyder880(m): 1:52pm On Oct 25, 2015
NL1960:

I hope you know that their truck can 'break down' on the road?. Will you also 'allow' your vehicle that is behind them to also break down?.

Those guys can always come up with multiple tricks at every stage, cheesy

1 Like

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by Nobody: 2:24pm On Oct 25, 2015
spyder880:

Those guys can always come up with multiple tricks at every stage, cheesy

And this is why this discussion is very enlightening to me so that I can be prepared and prepared I'm being.

I like challenges, naturally, and more motivated now than ever cheesy

I like games of upmanship and serving comeuppances.

What we do here to protect goods in reefer and container trucks is to seal the doors after loading with a tamper evident seal.

Maybe I'll design something similar for open trucks IF the issue of thievery is that much. I see a win win situation grin cool cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by blank(f): 7:51pm On Nov 12, 2015
EgunMogaji:

And this is why this discussion is very enlightening to me so that I can be prepared and prepared I'm being.

I like challenges, naturally, and more motivated now than ever cheesy

I like games of upmanship and serving comeuppances.

What we do here to protect goods in reefer and container trucks is to seal the doors after loading with a tamper evident seal.

Maybe I'll design something similar for open trucks IF the issue of thievery is that much. I see a win win situation grin cool cheesy

How far? How did it go?
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by Nobody: 8:24pm On Nov 12, 2015
blank:

How far? How did it go?

I haven't tackled the granite yet. I may not have to because a Nairalander has given me a palatable quote.

There are ways to find out if the load has been tampered with and I'll only accept a time stamped electronic waybill. But we shall see

I shifted into filing the foundation and soakaway both of which are going fantastically.

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by spyder880(m): 11:32pm On Nov 19, 2015
SCAM 6

The "ashewo bed"

Funny name abi? lol..... cheesy

But this is a loading trick being practiced by tipper drivers and sand suppliers everywhere, they agree to supply you a load of sand and then they go to the loading point and load only 3/4 of your expected quantity. So many people might not be around when the sand will be dropped at the site, or swallow the flimsy excuse that the sand shrunk while they were passing on rough road and gallops sank the sand to reduce the level.... story for the gods....... grin grin grin

Story culled from http://amazingviewpoints..com.ng/

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by Chekitaut: 11:17pm On Nov 20, 2015
spyder880:
SCAM 6

The "ashewo bed"

But this is a loading trick being practiced by tipper drivers and sand suppliers everywhere, they agree to supply you a load of sand and then they go to the loading point and load only 3/4 of your expected quantity. So many people might not be around when the sand will be dropped at the site, or swallow the flimsy excuse that the sand shrunk while they were passing on rough road and gallops sank the sand to reduce the level.... story for the gods....... grin grin grin

My Oga you go fear supply... grin
spyder880:
SCAM 6

The "ashewo bed"

My Oga you go fear supply...
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by Chekitaut: 1:29am On Nov 21, 2015
From the desk of Chekitaut:
Count on us for the best Quantity, Quality, Affordable price of Granite.

Island, V.I, Lekki, Ajah(Roundabout)
30Tons Granite=N140,000

Call Now: 08055545355,08032887233

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by theV0ice: 10:15pm On Apr 08, 2016
Hmmmmm....very interesting.

bookmarked for future reference cool

1 Like

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by 4C2215131: 1:31am On Apr 09, 2016
akpamfet:
This is the kind of discussions we need here. cool
Not "Tonto dike.unclad pictures" or "see what happened to this goat in damaturu."
undecided

heheehehehe...
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by earthrealm(m): 6:05pm On Jun 03, 2016
MORE!!
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by spyder880(m): 10:34pm On Jun 03, 2016
earthrealm:
MORE!!

Coming soon. More rip offs.

1 Like

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jun 19, 2016
spyder880:

Coming soon. More rip offs.

We are waiting to learn more my oga grin

1 Like

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by spyder880(m): 5:22am On Jan 11, 2017
Coming soon, the electric wire scams, multiple ways you can lose your money and still go home happy! grin grin
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by money121(m): 9:39am On Jan 31, 2017
Current Price of Roofing Sheet in Nigeria.. See here >> https://www.nairaland.com/3364135/roofing-sheets-cost-various-types

See Samples of Roofing Tiles.. See here >> https://www.nairaland.com/3357472/collection-sample-stone-coated-roofing

Check Out Picture Of The Wood Work For The Stone Coated Roofing Tile >> https://www.nairaland.com/1806964/check-out-picture-wood-work
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by set2build: 10:54am On Mar 29, 2017
set2build:
view current prices of building materials today march 28th, 2017. go to www.set2build.com/market-prices.
mobile view enabled.

also follow us on our social media handles:
facebook www.facebook.com/set2build
instagram: @set2build
Twitter: @set2build

www.set2build.com
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by csiworksnig(f): 10:00pm On Apr 10, 2017
I want to share my experience with 200mm blocks.

Am an architect and i supervise building projects, i started this project november 2016, it was a 63 unit bungalow estate in ogun state.

The owner employed the man who sold the land to her and they already hand molded 20,000 blocks for us to start the first eight bungalow. I got to site, set to work, it was a tough one, the bricklayers, the man who sold the land (i dont know y he was needed but he was the one paying the workers and also buying the materials and also in charge of the materials inshort he was incharge of everything), he is a man of 60years who cant even read or write well with no construction experience) .

These are the issues at the site.

1. They stole cements and sold them out to other users
2. The roofing woods was over quoted and still they needed more woods and the woods were bad.
3. The blocks were 200mm instead of 225mm, hence door height at 7ft was shorter around 6ft 3, the impited doors were not fitting in well.
4. The plumbing materials bought was less from the quantity owner paid for and after few days, the plumber came back to steal the materials
5. Cartons of tiles were stolen at the site, hence the quantity bought was not enough.
6. The client will pay for assume 10 loads of sands, they will supply 6 and claim the whole 10 has been suplied.

To mention a few, i eventually left the site early january when the rip off was too much and i could not bear it again and the client refused to listen because she trusted the man he put in charge especially since she said lagosians are crooked and ogun people never open eye.

Few weeks after i left, the whole issue came out into the open, and the client eventually understood my reasons for leaving.

The client called me last week askimg me why 9 blocks was short as lintel level for the doors, i told her the reason and also reminded her i told her once but she overlooked it, i also sent her this thread link.. All what she needs to know is here.

Thanks op for this secret rip off revealing thread.

Check my thread

https://www.nairaland.com/3732542/architectural-designs-female-architects

3 Likes

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by set2build: 9:27am On Apr 11, 2017
view prices of building materials updated today 11th April 017

www.set2build.com
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by Chekitaut: 8:49am On Apr 12, 2017
Cement Offloading
It is a general phenomenon that Cement can be counted from the surface, but it will be dangerous to know that what you see in the surface is different from what is inside.

Step 1: during offloading the off loaders will request for pure water or something to take you off from location at the completion of 1st role, then their evil work will start a bag of will be crossed over two lines thereby 1bag is off before you arrive they will cover it up, that can be done as many as possible times.

Step 2: after the 1st role in the middle the a bag will be placed vertically, thereby automatically removing 1bag, when looking from the top you assume all are of same height.

What to watch for after offloading check every part of the truck, tapolin , they will woo you they have some bags to sell, they only trying to sell your goods to you.

3 Likes

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by set2build: 7:51am On Apr 13, 2017
Prices of building materials updated today, visit www.set2build.com/market-prices

www.set2build.com
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by lorhema(f): 12:39pm On Apr 14, 2017
Deciding to build is a decision to go to war. That's why I've decided that I will spread the next construction over 4 years. I've had only one good experience but it was with a Beninois mason. Up here it's been horrible. It's stealing all the way and the skills are POOR! Spacing out the work will give me room to really watch my site and then take a break till the next encounter. Else you end up hating everyone.

1 Like

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by sonety2k(m): 2:49am On May 02, 2017
cool
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jul 02, 2017
lorhema:
Deciding to build is a decision to go to war. That's why I've decided that I will spread the next construction over 4 years. I've had only one good experience but it was with a Beninoise mason. Up here it's been horrible. It's stealing all the way and the skills are POOR! Spacing out the work will give me room to really watch my site and then take a break till the next encounter. Else you end up hating everyone.

This is the process that I employed and works for me. But my cohorts in the building section has called me "Mr. One Block Laid Per year" grin

I don't mind, I have four more years till retirement so no hurries to finish my house.

Good luck on your build.

1 Like

Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jul 02, 2017
I wanted to bring this excellent thread up to the surface. It has been very helpful but has been shoved downwards by all the Lekki/Ajjah land sales schemes angry

This is an example of helping consumers without making them feel that they are stupid.

Seun or Lawyer really should sticky this thread.
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by Chukazu: 8:19pm On Jul 02, 2017
fost4real:

real estate is a booming business and mad rush for land is the hottest thing going on right now in Ghana but, the locals/average workers are unable to acquire any property sold by these real estate developers due the high cost of the houses being sold. they are very very very expensive! Mortgage is a no-go area for most people here. starting your own project as an average income earner is much better choice as am doing right now. i'm not a building contractor just an ordinary guy trying to build a decent house for myself. one funny observation, average income earners who are bent on getting real estate property here in Ghana only end up with a one bedroom semi-detached house and a small space for future expansion which is laughable. they pay over a period of 5-10 years in dollars. so just imagine, if the local currency drops in value they suffer for it. Some end up losing their properties if they fail to pay within the stipulated time.

anyway, your posts and this forum actually helped in shaping my house. wink

See my life..
When our Naira currency was more valuable than Ghanaian Ceddi, my plan was to come to Ghana and buy real estate,

but now Buhari has finally devalue our money and Ghanaian Currency more valuable, so the surest thing is come to Ghana and sell coconut and come to Nigeria to buy house
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by filcast(m): 4:09pm On Aug 15, 2017
Hello House,
1. How best can I detect "rebagged" cement? Should I always carry a measuring scale?

2. How do you determine the size of tipper truck? Which is 5 tonnes, 10 tonnes etc.
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by jibola22(f): 3:03pm On Jan 30, 2018
6tier filling sand and 10 tier which is better ...pls is urgent and price pls
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by Chekitaut: 4:57am On Feb 02, 2018
jibola22:
6tier filling sand and 10 tier which is better ...pls is urgent and price pls
10tyres filling most preferred.
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by Chekitaut: 5:04am On Feb 02, 2018
filcast:
Hello House,
1. How best can I detect "rebagged" cement? Should I always carry a measuring scale?

2. How do you determine the size of tipper truck? Which is 5 tonnes, 10 tonnes etc.
Q1. Get a scale or sit the cement if the void is much is rebag.

Q2. Level the goods sand or granite in a box shape measire LxBxH in meter then multiply the denisity of which ever the good may be, granite has 1.32 as density while sand has 2.1as density.
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by miredia(m): 8:08am On Feb 23, 2018
Good expose sir
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by lorhema(f): 4:54pm On Feb 23, 2018
Chekitaut:
Q1. Get a scale or sit the cement if the void is much is rebag.

Q2. Level the goods sand or granite in a box shape measire LxBxH in meter then multiply the denisity of which ever the good may be, granite has 1.32 as density while sand has 2.1as density.

I'm sorry but I don't understand your answer to the question of how to identify 5-tonne or 10-tonne tippers. I think the person wants to be able to tell them apart before purchasing the needed materials, not after buying them.
Re: Different Ways You Could Be Ripped Off In Building by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 12:34pm On Feb 04, 2020
Very interested, I have learned a lot here well keep it up sir we are will to hear and learn from you

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tallest Residential Sprayed Concrete Tower To Be Built In Lagos / Enugu Residents Kick As Church Built On Waterway Threatens Their Property / Desmond Flats At Ogombo By Nexthome

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.