Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,541 members, 7,955,011 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:25 PM

Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? (35759 Views)

Ancestry Quest / Nigerian/african Ancestry Of Puerto Ricans / Complex Genetic Ancestry Of Americans Uncovered. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Nobody: 3:46pm On May 24, 2015
Cool it... It could be that you ancestors mixed with other tribes.

1 Like

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by no2fuks(m): 3:51pm On May 24, 2015
op needs a hug smileyop needs a hug
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by kmariko: 3:54pm On May 24, 2015
Here, things you should know
1. The names you are given are basically human construct to define a particular location but does not define the person.
2. DNA is not static , it changes or evolves with passage of time and environment.
3. There has been many mixes within each individual s family construct over the years.
4. Humans are migratory in nature,..the reason why you are in the US today, meaning that they pickup different genes as they move along.
5. The confusion is an individual mind set that sees the DNA as an end to all....The DNA does not define you
Like someone mentioned earlier... travel and get to know your relatives not their DNA

3 Likes

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by ddefoe: 4:09pm On May 24, 2015
Fireflame144000:

Your gibberish what do you mean 'claim' idiot? These are my DNA results, it's not a claim since it's a fact. DNA does not lie. Read a science book.
if ur parient are Ibo then ur ibo too! Forget that DNA stuff.its man made
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by splashbaby(m): 4:09pm On May 24, 2015
bigfrancis21:
In some way, my mind casts some doubt on the entire 'DNA ancestry' thing. Could this be some made-up test just to merely back-up some 'jewish' ancestry of Igbos?
Jewish thing.. Lol
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by macdelene(m): 4:14pm On May 24, 2015
Omo Nawa ooo, just dey waste my time dey read this science. My dear thank God say u knw where ur parent come from atlest u nava. Lost. grin
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 4:15pm On May 24, 2015
ddefoe:
if ur parient are Ibo then ur ibo too! Forget that DNA stuff.its man made

DNA is not man made, DNA is what gives us are Eye color, Skin Color, Hair Color etc it's not man made, rather DNA made man. I see a lot of Igbo on this website who has a ton of ego up there asś that they will go as far as to say that so and so is false just to support there views. Plus my Grandfather is part middle eastern so it's explains the test.

2 Likes

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 4:28pm On May 24, 2015
You probably are of Hausa descend. They also have a y in their DNA.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 4:46pm On May 24, 2015
Ibrahimmrfish:

A 'Y'?

And yes your correct, the test says I'm a mixture of Yoruba, Hausa, and Igbo.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Nobody: 4:49pm On May 24, 2015
Forget that DNA shiit n live ur life.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by oweman: 4:53pm On May 24, 2015
AfricanApple:
undecided undecided my question to you now is, do you want to go to east Africa or west Asia to find your roots? or why all the fuse

THE GUY IS PROBABLY CONFUSED HE.WANT TO DEJY BEING IBO BECAUSE.OF THE NEGATIVE PERCEPTION OF IBOS BEIJG VIOLENT AND KRI.............LY MINDED .
TO HELP HIK OUT THERE IS A FAST DEMINISING TRIBE IN KEBBll STATE DONT THINK THEY WOULD MIND RECIEVING YOU INTO THIER MIST THEY ARE CALLED 'BADEKERE' ZURU you can go join them ; dog eating is standard too !
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 4:56pm On May 24, 2015
oweman:

THE GUY IS PROBABLY CONFUSED HE.WANT TO DEJY BEING IBO BECAUSE.OF THE NEGATIVE PERCEPTION OF IBOS BEIJG VIOLENT AND KRI.............LY MINDED .
TO HELP HIK OUT THERE IS A FAST DEMINISING TRIBE IN KEBBll STATE DONT THINK THEY WOULD MIND RECIEVING YOU INTO THIER MIST THEY ARE CALLED 'BADEKERE' ZURU you can go join them ; dog eating is standard too !

Your a fücking idíot, it has nothing to do with me 'denying My Igbo ancestors' it's seems like you did not read any of the posts or atleast my posts so it's seems like your confused. I stated before, my Father wants to see if he can trace his Family tree father back. Nothing more, Nothing Less.

2 Likes

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by ElekeNtioba: 5:00pm On May 24, 2015
Pavore9:
Here in Kenya, there is a tribe that may have a shared ancestry with the igbos though l am yet to do a detailed research, they bear names such Opara, Amadi, Okechi, Ngige etc!

whats d name of the tribe pls??
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 5:03pm On May 24, 2015
Pavore9:
Here in Kenya, there is a tribe that may have a shared ancestry with the igbos though l am yet to do a detailed research, they bear names such Opara, Amadi, Okechi, Ngige etc!

Cool story bro.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by GIYAZZ(m): 5:07pm On May 24, 2015
CC: Glamrock
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by oweman: 5:09pm On May 24, 2015
Fireflame144000:

Your a fücking idíot, it has nothing to do with me 'denying My Igbo ancestors' it's seems like you did not read any of the posts or atleast my posts so it's seems like your confused. I stated before, my Father wants to see if he can trace his Family tree father back. Nothing more, Nothing Less.

you simply need some help.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 5:15pm On May 24, 2015
oweman:

you simply need some help.

You simply need to know how to read; I have no problem with my family's history. Doing DNA tests just helps to learn more about it. Just because I'm Igbo and I take a DNA test, does not mean I'm trying to deny my history. You saying that just makes you stùpid.

1 Like

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 5:16pm On May 24, 2015
wetinhappennews:
Today's HOTTEST Gist!

‘Beautiful Mind’ John Nash and his wife killed in Car Crash http://www.wetinhappen.com.ng/beautiful-mind-john-nash-and-his-wife-killed-in-car-crash/

How Facebook Saved a Breast Cancer Patient http://www.wetinhappen.com.ng/facebook-saved-my-life-breast-cancer-survivor-reveals/

Nigerian Scrabble Association Gets a plot of land from Akpabio http://www.wetinhappen.com.ng/akpabio-pledges-plot-of-land-to-nigerian-scrabble-association/

Your Immune System: Facts http://www.wetinhappen.com.ng/5-facts-you-didnt-know-about-your-immune-system/

MUSIC: Ikpa Udo @Ikpa_Udo - NSUTO GBEDU (Skelly On The Beat) http://www.wetinhappen.com.ng/music-ikpa-udo-ikpa_udo-nsuto-gbedu-skelly-on-the-beat/

Akpabio Charges Newly Sworn-in acting Chief Judge http://www.wetinhappen.com.ng/akpabio-charges-newly-sworn-in-acting-chief-judge/

More gist on www.wetinhappen.com.ng

Thank me later!!

Well that was random. lol
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Pavore9: 5:29pm On May 24, 2015
ElekeNtioba:

The Luo tribe, the tribe of Obama's father.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Okeikpu(m): 5:39pm On May 24, 2015
Fireflame144000:
What the fúck? I'm confused

I took a DNA test at AncestryDNA and as I expected it says that I am 100% west African.

But I bought another kit from 23andme so I can find out my brother's Y-DNA. While I was waiting for my Brother's test results to come in, I decided to upload my AncestryDNA results to Gedmatch since Gedmatch, AncestryDNA, and 23andme all work with other. So on Gedmatch when one of the first test I took on Gedmatch was the 'Jtest' under the Eurogene project, selecting the chromosome painting process and here are the results.

South-Baltic
East-Euro
North-Central_ Euro
Atlantic
West-Med
AshkeNAZI (giggle)
East-med
West-Asian
Middle eastern
South-Asian
East African
Siberian
West-Africa

Unfortunately, this particular test did not show a percentage, but they had a color code, and the color for west Africa which was light brown, was of course really really dominate.

My second test

This one is under the dodcad project, the process type was 'Admixture proportions (with link to Oracle)'

The calculator model was 'Africa9'

Here are the results (this one shows the percentage)

Europe: 0.49%
SW.Asia: 0.78%
E Africa: 5.61%
S. Africa: 14.26%
Mbuti: 3.86%
West Africa: 69.00%
Biaka: 5.94%
San: 0.06%

Either Gedmatch looks deeper into ancestry more. Or I need to take different types of tests at Ancestry. I took multiple test at Gedmatch because they were free, but I only felt like posting two of the tests. While ancestry I would have to pay more to get those other types of tests.

But seriously what's up with that? My genes are like the fùcking rainbow. But really I'm confused, I thought I was 100% west African Igbo , because both of my parents are Igbo, but I'm not even 100% Igbo it's self, according to ancestry, I'm 50% Nigerian, 24% Cameroon/Congo, 20% Benin/Togo, and 6% Ivory Coast/Ghana.

Also, my Parents were never slaves in America, they came to America by there own free will. They were not here during slavery, they came recently like 20 years, Like 1995, slavery was already dead, so slavery in America could not be the option with this DNA mix up.

So, when people ask me where I'm from do I list all of the countries where my DNA leads to?

Or should I just say Nigeria?

Or should I just switch up, like sometimes I say Nigeria, others times Cameroon, other times Europe, others times Middle East etc.?

And what's funny is that I don't even look mix, all my friends say I look African, that's it.

If your parents re both Igbos, then what a 4uck re u doing wt all ds test......
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 5:43pm On May 24, 2015
Okeikpu:
If your parents re both Igbos, then what a 4uck re u doing wt all ds test......

How many times do I have to say this? My father wants to see if he can trace his family tree father back he has a family tree at his house in Nigeria.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Okeikpu(m): 5:54pm On May 24, 2015
Fireflame144000:

How many times do I have to say this? My father wants to see if he can trace his family tree father back he has a family tree at his house in Nigeria.
Ok, u guys should come back home nd start from there... We hv our own ways on getting such results.... That's y we re called the gr8 Igbos cool
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 5:59pm On May 24, 2015
Okeikpu:
Ok, u guys should come back home nd start from there... We hv our own ways on getting such results.... That's y we re called the gr8 Igbos cool

We will go to Nigeria sometime, just not this summer. We're kinda going to be busy.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Okeikpu(m): 6:15pm On May 24, 2015
Fireflame144000:

We will go to Nigeria sometime, just not this summer. We're kinda going to be busy.
alright wink
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by bigfrancis21: 6:45pm On May 24, 2015
ElekeNtioba:

The luo tribe of Kenya, the tribe Obama is from. They share so many similar words in spelling and meaning with Igbo, such as 'okonkwo', and traditional settings and customs. Many luos who read Chinua Achebe's 'Things Fall Apart' remarked at the striking similarity between Igbo customs mentioned in Chinua's book and theirs.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by bigfrancis21: 7:10pm On May 24, 2015
Ibrahimmrfish:

What do you mean by Hausas have 'Y'? For your information, the Y chromosome is the human chromosome responsible for maleness in human beings, and is present in ALL males in the world. Without the 'Y' chromosome, babies formed in the womb are automatically female by default.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Ihuomadinihu: 7:33pm On May 24, 2015
Pavore9:
Iteso ethnic group,Kenya. Am yet to carry out a research too. Some of them are aware of that 'connection'.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Nobody: 7:53pm On May 24, 2015
babyosisi:
Next time he will start asking us if he is a man
Lol Nne you killed it...hehe
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Pavore9: 7:55pm On May 24, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Iteso ethnic group,Kenya. Am yet to carry out a research too. Some of them are aware of that 'connection'.

The Iteso ethnic group is one of Kenya's minorities and they share boundary with Uganda The Kenya's Luo tribe that bear igbp names span into northern Uganda, and in Mara Region in northern Tanzania.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Ihuomadinihu: 7:59pm On May 24, 2015
Pavore9:

The Iteso ethnic group is one of Kenya's minorities and they share boundary with Uganda The Kenya's Luo tribe that bear igbp names span into northern Uganda, and in Mara Region in northern Tanzania.
Yeah. Like i said,am yet to see/hear any sense of awareness of a possible connection amongst Luo people. The Itesos are the ones that are interested and also reaching out.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by ezeagu(m): 8:32pm On May 24, 2015
Fireflame144000:
Europe: 0.49%
SW.Asia: 0.78%
E Africa: 5.61%
S. Africa: 14.26%
Mbuti: 3.86%
West Africa: 69.00%
Biaka: 5.94%
San: 0.06%

Your result show's you are a black African, the 0. results are statistical noise, and as you said, you have a recent middle eastern ancestor.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Peremobowei Shedrack Erebulu Becomes The Youngest King In Ijaw Nation. Photos / Ooni Of Ife Ogunwusi’s Pre-Coronation Photoshoot / 5 Uniforms Every Responsible Lady Must Wear And The Correct Sequence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.