Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,062 members, 7,953,221 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:38 PM

Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? (35743 Views)

Ancestry Quest / Nigerian/african Ancestry Of Puerto Ricans / Complex Genetic Ancestry Of Americans Uncovered. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 6:04pm On May 25, 2015
AkanIgbo:

I also have Middle Eastern, European and Polynesian results, but except for the European number 12% none of them are very high. Most the European numbers are English, Ireland, Scandinavia and Iberian Peninsula; which is what most African Americans have.

Looking at your results I am almost positive that the Bantu are related to the Igbo, because every time I see an Igbo result I see a Bantu result. Those two groups have to be related somewhere, because otherwise it doesn't make sense that these two groups appearing together. Here is a blog that touches on the results of 3 Nigerians. Presumably Ancestry.com only tested Bamoun and Bamileke people in Cameroon, both groups of which are Bantu. Bamileke people share other groupings too.

https://tracingafricanroots./ancestrydna/african-results/

Have Scandinavia, ancient Scandinavia, I actually have atleast three ancient DNA according to Gedmatch mines are Ancient (Paleo) Scandinavia, Ancient (Paleo) African, and Ancient (Paleo) Siberian.

On one test I have 0.46% European. And on another 5% European. Igbo and Bantu are possibly related but I'll have to look into that more. I'll Check out that link.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by AkanIgbo: 6:04pm On May 25, 2015
Fireflame144000:

About that Dogon part, yeah I heard about something like that but it was actually the theory that the ancient people were probably more advanced then we were. Even if it's most likely not true, it holds some truth. Like are modern scientist just use what the ancients people know just to learn more things, the modern scientist did not have to start out from scratch, but the ancient people did have to start out from scratch, because there was no other people before them. The ancient people figured out how to write on there own while the modern day people just made it look more advanced.

Actually the Dogon didn't start from scratch either. They said that ET's visited the Earth and gave them their knowledge of the Solar system. That might sound crazy, but you can't rule that out; because the Dogon know about planets in solar system that can not be seen with the naked eye and the Dogon didn't have telescopes. However, it is pretty clear that the Dogon are priests from Egypt that were kicked out during the time of Pharaoh. The Dogon have acknowledge that much and anthropologist and Egyptologist point that out as well.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 6:12pm On May 25, 2015
AkanIgbo:

Actually the Dogon didn't start from scratch either. They said that ET's visited the Earth and gave them their knowledge of the Solar system. That might sound crazy, but you can't rule that out; because the Dogon know about planets in solar system that can not be seen with the naked eye and the Dogon didn't have telescopes. However, it is pretty clear that the Dogon are priests from Egypt that were kicked out during the time of Pharaoh. The Dogon have acknowledge that much and anthropologist and Egyptologist point that out as well.

Well, if the dogon are actually Egyptains then that explains the smartness, since I'm pretty sure the Egyptains are the same people who created mathematics until the Europeans came and claimed it as there own.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by AkanIgbo: 6:24pm On May 25, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

While the jewish-cushite angle sounds sweet and interesting,let's not forget a remarkable movement of people in African history popularly known as Bantu migration. Afterall,groups of people moved away from Igbo/Cameroon homeland,is it not possible that a large chunk of igbo speaking people migrated to East Africa following the bantu expansion.

That is what I think happened. Some Bantu were already in Uganda, Congo and Kenya during the time of the Pharaohs, because they spoke of the origin of the Nile being where they were from. That looks to be around the African Great Lakes, which are in the Congo, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and Kenya.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Great_Lakes
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by ezeagu(m): 7:17pm On May 25, 2015
Kei144:

History suggests that the Luo travelled along the River Nile from Sudan. They made entry into Kenya around 500 years ago and established settlements in the lands surrounding Lake Victoria- Africa’s biggest fresh water lake.

http://www.kenya-information-guide.com/luo-tribe.html

Since the Luo tribe came from Sudan, that is the connection between them and Igbos. Some Igbos descended from Jews that ran down to Egypt after Nebuchadnezzar conquered Judah. From Egypt, those Jews went down to Cush (Sudan). Those Jews obviously intermingled with Cushites. The Luo tribe was part of those Cushite people. But the Luos are not Jews, since they did not have circumcision in their culture.

Apparently, the Jews that were in Cush moved westward, rather than southward.

So where is this 'Jewish' ancestry in the Igbo DNA? And what's this timeframe?
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by ezeagu(m): 7:21pm On May 25, 2015
bigfrancis21:

The luo tribe of Kenya, the tribe Obama is from. They share so many similar words in spelling and meaning with Igbo, such as 'okonkwo', and traditional settings and customs. Many luos who read Chinua Achebe's 'Things Fall Apart' remarked at the striking similarity between Igbo customs mentioned in Chinua's book and theirs.

Most African peoples can see thesmelves in Things Fall Apart, it's a very general book. The words may be similar, but we need to know the etymology to ascertain if they are related to the Igbo words, since many African languages share similar sounds. There's also the fact that the language the Luo people speak has a different structure to Igbo.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by ezeagu(m): 7:32pm On May 25, 2015
AkanIgbo:

Why is it that whenever a group does something interesting in Africa there's this stretch to link them to Egypt somehow? Their language and culture is completely different to Egypt.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by AkanIgbo: 7:52pm On May 25, 2015
ezeagu:

Why is it that whenever a group does something interesting in Africa there's this stretch to link them to Egypt somehow? Their language and culture is completely different to Egypt.

Probably because people migrated from the East of Africa to the West of Africa. Secondly, the Dogon God is Amma and the Egyptian God is Amen. The Dogon also use symbols and signs that are said to be similar to those in Egypt.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fulaman198(m): 8:12pm On May 25, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Both groups share similar names with almost similar meaning. There must be a reason for this. Where and how did it happen? That's the basis for this argument. If Europeans can acknowledge known and unknown movements/migration around Europe,i don't see why we can't reason like them. I've learnt to stay away from these Eurocentric racial classification,they make it seem like Africans have been stuck in one region. Identity is fluid....

I understand what you are saying, and I do indeed agree with you.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by ezeagu(m): 8:14pm On May 25, 2015
AkanIgbo:

Probably because people migrated from the East of Africa to the West of Africa. Secondly, the Dogon God is Amma and the Egyptian God is Amen. The Dogon also use symbols and signs that are said to be similar to those in Egypt.

But there are probably another culture where there is a similar sounding word for God. Their cultures bears no correlation with ancient Egypt. I'm not even sure they have sun worship.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by AkanIgbo: 8:27pm On May 25, 2015
ezeagu:

But there are probably another culture where there is a similar sounding word for God. Their cultures bears no correlation with ancient Egypt. I'm not even sure they have sun worship.

Well African Americans don't speak any of the tribal languages, but that doesn't mean that they are not from Africa.

African Americans, Asian-Americans and even European Americans cultures bear no relationship to Africa, Asia or Europe; but that does not mean that they doesn't mean that they did not originate in those places.

Sometimes things are exactly what they appear to be.

1 Like

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Kei144(m): 8:30pm On May 25, 2015
ezeagu:

So where is this 'Jewish' ancestry in the Igbo DNA? And what's this timeframe?

Igbos are not uniform. The Jews among Igbos constitute a small percentage of Igbos. The DNA of actual Igbo Jews may not be in the database of DNA testing companies.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Nobody: 8:52pm On May 25, 2015
Not funny till fuel generated in Nigeria.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Nobody: 8:53pm On May 25, 2015
[email][/email]Not funny till fuel is generated in Nigeria.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by ezeagu(m): 11:01pm On May 25, 2015
Kei144:

Igbos are not uniform. The Jews among Igbos constitute a small percentage of Igbos. The DNA of actual Igbo Jews may not be in the database of DNA testing companies.

If your timescale is Nebuchadnezzar, then it's very unlikely there's an isolated group of Igbo people who have ancestry from Judah, that's over 2000 years mind you.

AkanIgbo:

Well African Americans don't speak any of the tribal languages, but that doesn't mean that they are not from Africa.

African Americans, Asian-Americans and even European Americans cultures bear no relationship to Africa, Asia or Europe; but that does not mean that they doesn't mean that they did not originate in those places.

Sometimes things are exactly what they appear to be.

Black Americans did not wilfully migrate to the United States and assimilate, and their language still has traces of African languages. And would you really say European and Asian American cultures bear no relationship to the continents, wouldn't the fact that they're named after these continents be indicative of that? Is St Patricks day a Native American holiday?

The Dogon language isn't even spoken by any other group, as in no other languages are known to be directly related to it meaning that it is a unique language that wasn't forced on them. Just looking at their culture it looks nothing like ancient Egypt, they don't even tie wrapper like other Africans do and ancient Egyptians did, and that's a minor point unlike their language, religion and cultural rites. Stuff like writing for example hardly dies off, if these are descendant of priests that fled Egypt at some point writing would not have died off, they wouldn't have dropped all their culture. The Dogon are more like everyone around them than ancient Egyptians.

1 Like

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by AkanIgbo: 11:46pm On May 25, 2015
ezeagu:

If your timescale is Nebuchadnezzar, then it's very unlikely there's an isolated group of Igbo people who have ancestry from Judah, that's over 2000 years mind you.

Black Americans did not wilfully migrate to the United States and assimilate, and their language still has traces of African languages. And would you really say European and Asian American cultures bear no relationship to the continents, wouldn't the fact that they're named after these continents be indicative of that? Is St Patricks day a Native American holiday?

The Dogon language isn't even spoken by any other group, as in no other languages are known to be directly related to it meaning that it is a unique language that wasn't forced on them. Just looking at their culture it looks nothing like ancient Egypt, they don't even tie wrapper like other Africans do and ancient Egyptians did, and that's a minor point unlike their language, religion and cultural rites. Stuff like writing for example hardly dies off, if these are descendant of priests that fled Egypt at some point writing would not have died off, they wouldn't have dropped all their culture. The Dogon are more like everyone around them than ancient Egyptians.

I am not sure what point that you are making, but the God's names being Amma and Amen says a lot to me. On top of that the Egyptians were also pretty versed in astrology as are the Dogon. Obviously a lot of things have been lost in 2,000 years, but sometimes things are what they look like and no one has denied that migration has occurred away from Egypt. The Bantu are proof positive of the migration.

http://sacredsites.com/africa/mali/dogon.html

Whether African Americans migrated to America voluntarily or not; it is fact that they are in America. And living in America you can clearly see that by the 2nd generation most of the people in America, assimilate to American culture.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by ocheejemb: 11:19am On May 26, 2015
tevinsolt:

your statement about science not being exact is false!

Oh really.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by tevinsolt: 11:24am On May 26, 2015
ocheejemb:

Oh really.
yes really.

1 Like

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 12:58pm On May 26, 2015
tevinsolt:

yes really.

I actually agree with the other guy, Science may get most of the things right, but sometimes there wrong. Scientist don't even claim that science is always right, all they will tell you is that Science changes every day with every new discovery they find that sometimes debunks one of there theories, or supports one of there theories. If science is always right then why does it keep changing?
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Ihuomadinihu: 2:33pm On May 26, 2015
ezeagu:

I don't know much about Dogon-Egypt connection. But it's very easy to lose track of civilization,origin,lineage and writing. Otherwise,Igbos and all West Africans will be able to point at their exact source of origin,Nsibidi and other writing forms would have survived. Just take a look and see how Igbos dropped their cosmetics,fashion and hairstyles. If those ancient people come back today,they will feel totally lost in Igboland. That's the impression i want to correct.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Ihuomadinihu: 2:41pm On May 26, 2015
Kei144:

How do you identify the jews amongst modern igbos?
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Ihuomadinihu: 2:56pm On May 26, 2015
ezeagu:

Well,people have migrated in and out of both regions. The other day,i read about the Anu pygmies(Twa) that were transported from West/central Africa to Egyptian courts. Obviously,there was some sort of cultural fusion or diffusion between Egypt and rest of Africa.
This is how it works....
Europeans take pride in Greek/Roman Civilization.
Asia takes pride in Indus valley/Chinese civilization.
America takes pride in Inca/Meso America etc.
Africa takes pride in Egypt/Timbuktu/Nubia etc.
Am not going to overlook Egypt just because i want to acknowledge Igbo,yoruba or ashanti civilization. Afterall,the people occupying Egypt can't even describe what Egypt is all about. When i read about Egypt i see some sort of cultural/religious continum scattered all over Africa even up to India.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by ezeagu(m): 3:20pm On May 26, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

I don't know much about Dogon-Egypt connection. But it's very easy to lose track of civilization,origin,lineage and writing. Otherwise,Igbos and all West Africans will be able to point at their exact source of origin,Nsibidi and other writing forms would have survived. Just take a look and see how Igbos dropped their cosmetics,fashion and hairstyles. If those ancient people come back today,they will feel totally lost in Igboland. That's the impression i want to correct.

There are still people that use nsibidi in making ekpe clothes today and the idea of writing hasn't disappeared but been supplanted, besides that, my point is that if the entirety of a culture were to be erased or replaced there would at least be some strong remnants of the previous culture, at least if in name. Dogon culture shares nothing in common with Egypt. The origin of the Igbo is probably older than Egypt, say the Dogon were far removed and actually came from there, how were they able to remember they were priests in Egypt but all their customs faded away.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Ihuomadinihu: 3:27pm On May 26, 2015
ezeagu:

There are still people that use nsibidi in making ekpe clothes today and the idea of writing hasn't disappeared but been supplanted, besides that, my point is that if the entirety of a culture were to be erased or replaced there would at least be some strong remnants of the previous culture, at least if in name. Dogon culture shares nothing in common with Egypt. The origin of the Igbo is probably older than Egypt, say the Dogon were far removed and actually came from there, how were they able to remember they were priests in Egypt but all their customs faded away.
Well,i don't know much about Dogons. Nsibidi is not the only form of writing,apparently the rest disappered a long time ago. Probably,Nsibidi was recently acquired when Igbos mingled with Efik/ibibio/ejagham,that's why it was prominent in Southern Igboland. Just trying to say that civilization can break down leaving you with fragments of the bigger picture.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Ihuomadinihu: 4:00pm On May 26, 2015
AkanIgbo:

I also have Middle Eastern, European and Polynesian results, but except for the European number 12% none of them are very high. Most the European numbers are English, Ireland, Scandinavia and Iberian Peninsula; which is what most African Americans have.

Looking at your results I am almost positive that the Bantu are related to the Igbo, because every time I see an Igbo result I see a Bantu result. Those two groups have to be related somewhere, because otherwise it doesn't make sense that these two groups appearing together. Here is a blog that touches on the results of 3 Nigerians. Presumably Ancestry.com only tested Bamoun and Bamileke people in Cameroon, both groups of which are Bantu. Bamileke people share other groupings too.

https://tracingafricanroots./ancestrydna/african-results/

After going through that article,even though Igbo is not a bantu language,they cluster more with semi bantu cameroon while Yoruba cluster with Benin/togo. Apparently because of geographical proximity or inter marriage.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by tevinsolt: 7:10pm On May 26, 2015
Fireflame144000:

I actually agree with the other guy, Science may get most of the things right, but sometimes there wrong. Scientist don't even claim that science is always right, all they will tell you is that Science changes every day with every new discovery they find that sometimes debunks one of there theories, or supports one of there theories. If science is always right then why does it keep changing?

you're talking about something else entirely, he said "science is not exact" but based on scientific principles and laws and constants that statement is not true. He is right about one thing though, sometimes estimates is given as result based on the type of science we are dealing with.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Kei144(m): 7:16am On May 27, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

How do you identify the jews amongst modern igbos?

The Jews among modern Igbos had some ancient Jewish practices in their culture. Apart from circumcision on the 8th day, there is the Jewish calendar; not the market days, but lunar calendar, with the practice of adding one lunar month to a year after a few years. The use of ǫja (Jewish tallit) is also common among Igbo Jews. There are other Jewish practices that I cannot name here, but the Jewish calendar system is the easiest way to identify Jewish communities. However, communities neighbouring to original Jewish settlements copied these practices. The neighbours to original Jewish settlers now have great amount of Jewishness due to intermarriage.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Ihuomadinihu: 7:28am On May 27, 2015
Kei144:

The Jews among modern Igbos had some ancient Jewish practices in their culture. Apart from circumcision on the 8th day, there is the Jewish calendar; not the market days, but lunar calendar, with the practice of adding one lunar month to a year after a few years. The use of ǫja (Jewish tallit) is also common among Igbo Jews. There are other Jewish practices that I cannot name here, but the Jewish calendar system is the easiest way to identify Jewish communities. However, communities neighbouring to original Jewish settlements copied these practices. The neighbours to original Jewish settlers now have great amount of Jewishness due to intermarriage.
That's not really valid. What you wrote above is common amongst all igbos. Am looking for a mark of distinction,something that igbo jews have that others don't have. I don't mean the recent converts,i mean jewish people before Christianity entered igboland. No doubt,igbos have certain cultural practices that is kind of hebraic. I don't understand this some igbos are jewish,while others are not.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by ocheejemb: 2:33pm On May 27, 2015
tevinsolt:

your statement about science not being exact is false!

Read up on scientific method and statistical significance.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by tevinsolt: 2:44pm On May 27, 2015
ocheejemb:

Read up on scientific method and statistical significance.
I don't have to, I know what I am talking about, good thing u mentioned Statistics.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by ocheejemb: 3:12pm On May 27, 2015
tevinsolt:

I don't have to, I know what I am talking about, good thing u mentioned Statistics.

Great, so you know about confidence intervals and p values for instance. These wouldn't be necessary if science was so exact.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by tevinsolt: 5:48pm On May 27, 2015
ocheejemb:

Great, so you know about confidence intervals and p values for instance. These wouldn't be necessary if science was so exact.
and you do know that, 206 bones are exact numbers of bones in the body, or that acceleration due to gravity on earth is 9.8 at free fall, or that the atomic numbers of each element on the periodic table are exact numbers eh?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Peremobowei Shedrack Erebulu Becomes The Youngest King In Ijaw Nation. Photos / Ooni Of Ife Ogunwusi’s Pre-Coronation Photoshoot / 5 Uniforms Every Responsible Lady Must Wear And The Correct Sequence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.