Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,154 members, 7,953,584 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:50 PM

Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? (35745 Views)

Ancestry Quest / Nigerian/african Ancestry Of Puerto Ricans / Complex Genetic Ancestry Of Americans Uncovered. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 7:06pm On May 31, 2015
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by bigfrancis21: 1:03am On Jun 01, 2015
Fireflame144000:

I just got back with my brother's results here:

Y- DNA Haplogroup: E1b1a8a
Maternal Haplogroup: L3e2a1b1

Also, 21 out 22 of my full-blood brother's chromosones is middle eastern , while only 20 out of 22 of his chromsomes have Ashkenazi Jewish DNA. So it would mean that my father comes from a Ashekenazi Jewish Male (because only males can pass on the Y chromsomes) Even thought E1b1a is not a Typical Jewish Haplogroup, it is not absent among jews, Atleast 8.9% of Sephardic Jews have E1b1a, my father as far as know does not have any recent Jewish ancestry, but I think I should point out that he also have Asian and South African DNA. So, his not fully west African, he did mentioned a Northern African male in the family tree.

Quick question, are you male or female?
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 11:56am On Jun 01, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Quick question, are you male or female?

Male
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by ocheejemb: 6:41pm On Jun 01, 2015
tevinsolt:

and you do know that, 206 bones are exact numbers of bones in the body, or that acceleration due to gravity on earth is 9.8 at free fall, or that the atomic numbers of each element on the periodic table are exact numbers eh?

The bones, yes, are a finite number. However, gravity is not exactly 9.8m/s2. I'm not sure about atomic numbers. Truth is a lot of science, especially in biosciences, is just very very very precise and close estimations. That's why stats are so important.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Ihuomadinihu: 6:55pm On Jun 01, 2015
Fireflame144000:

Also, 21 out 22 of my full-blood brother's chromosones is middle eastern , while only 20 out of 22 of his chromsomes have Ashkenazi Jewish DNA. So it would mean that my father comes from a Ashekenazi Jewish Male (because only males can pass on the Y chromsomes) Even thought E1b1a is not a Typical Jewish Haplogroup, it is not absent among jews, Atleast 8.9% of Sephardic Jews have E1b1a, my father as far as know does not have any recent Jewish ancestry, but I think I should point out that he also have Asian and South African DNA. So, his not fully west African, he did mentioned a Northern African male in the family tree.
Probably,your dad has a jewish North African ancestor at some point not that he comes from a jewish line. I think your dna results also reflects a typical igbo dna pool. I've not seen an Igbo dna result that is 100% igbo. I would be more concerned with how/why you have gene contributions from all over Africa,before paying attention to any middle east dna...ijs. It's interesting to know you share your genes with other people outside West Africa,that does not make you less Igbo or West African(my opinion).
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 10:48pm On Jun 01, 2015
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 10:53pm On Jun 01, 2015
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by bigfrancis21: 3:28am On Jun 02, 2015
Fireflame144000:

Now I want to understand something. Did you yourself do the Y-DNA test? What was the result? I asked you if you were male initially because if you and your brother, who are both males, conduct a Y-DNA test, your Y-DNA test should come out alike because you both received copies of the same Y-chromosome from your father unchanged, who equally received it from his father, your grandfather.

Also, your self-proclaimed lineage seems kind of hazy. Can you please outline your paternal lineage (and what ancestral mix each paternal ancestor was) clearly so as to let us put to an end this debate once and for all.

For example (paternal lineage),

Great-grandfather (Half jewish/Half Jewish)

Grandfather (1/4 Jewish/ 3/4 Igbo)

Father (1/8 Jewish/ 3/8 Igbo)

etc.

And so on.

Thus, we can know where you stand. Equally make it clear at what point in your father's lineage did he have his jewish ancestor.

And what was the Jewish man, your supposed ancestor, doing in Igboland at that time? There are barely any known instances of Jewish people visiting, settling in Igboland or taking spouses amongst the Igbo in Igboland. At what point did this misceganation occur?

Your result is unique in that it applies to your lineage and is NEVER applicable to all Igbo people.

1 Like

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by bigfrancis21: 3:37am On Jun 02, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Probably,your dad has a jewish North African ancestor at some point not that he comes from a jewish line. I think your dna results also reflects a typical igbo dna pool. I've not seen an Igbo dna result that is 100% igbo. I would be more concerned with how/why you have gene contributions from all over Africa,before paying attention to any middle east dna...ijs. It's interesting to know you share your genes with other people outside West Africa,that does not make you less Igbo or West African(my opinion).

By Igbo DNA result, do you mean one conducted by a black diasporan individual? Or one conducted by an Igbo?
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Ihuomadinihu: 4:11pm On Jun 02, 2015
bigfrancis21:

By Igbo DNA result, do you mean one conducted by a black diasporan individual? Or one conducted by an Igbo?
Nigerian Igbo. Dna cluster with Cameroon,Gabon and San but not as far as the middle east.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by anonymous6(f): 2:09am On Jun 03, 2015
bbdd:
@Op

Find one and stick to it.
No one cares.

Really. No one cares if you tell them you're part philipino - part German. They'll just say oh wow and move on.

All these percentages you quoted..... No comment

Lmao
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by anonymous6(f): 2:15am On Jun 03, 2015
babyosisi:

Igbos and Cameroonians should have no differences genetically
These tests are not without question
This is what happens when nigerian parents bring up kids in America and refuse to take them home to connect with their roots
They grow up with all sorts of complexes and begin asking ridiculous questions and seeking answers to them

[size=18pt]I blame your parents[/size]

Lmao
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 8:16pm On Jun 03, 2015
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 8:28pm On Jun 03, 2015
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by tpiadotcom: 3:44am On Jul 22, 2015
so, how far?

were you finally able to summarize your "findings"?
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by londoner: 10:34pm On Jul 25, 2015
Op, how interesting.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Nobody: 6:03am On Oct 27, 2015
all West Africans and Bantus in Africa that have E1B1A are the Real Hebrew Israelites in the Bible. we came from Israel. please click to this Facebook page :- https://m.facebook.com/e1b1ahaplogroupnation?__tn__=C . ask the Genetics Doctor, he will explain everything to you all . Shalom
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 5:48pm On Sep 20, 2019
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by lifeisgood12: 12:20am On Jul 14, 2021
Fireflame144000:
What the fúck? I'm confused

I took a DNA test at AncestryDNA and as I expected it says that I am 100% west African.

But I bought another kit from 23andme so I can find out my brother's Y-DNA. While I was waiting for my Brother's test results to come in, I decided to upload my AncestryDNA results to Gedmatch since Gedmatch, AncestryDNA, and 23andme all work with other. So on Gedmatch when one of the first test I took on Gedmatch was the 'Jtest' under the Eurogene project, selecting the chromosome painting process and here are the results.

South-Baltic
East-Euro
North-Central_ Euro
Atlantic
West-Med
AshkeNAZI (giggle)
East-med
West-Asian
Middle eastern
South-Asian
East African
Siberian
West-Africa

Unfortunately, this particular test did not show a percentage, but they had a color code, and the color for west Africa which was light brown, was of course really really dominate.

My second test

This one is under the dodcad project, the process type was 'Admixture proportions (with link to Oracle)'

The calculator model was 'Africa9'

Here are the results (this one shows the percentage)

Europe: 0.49%
SW.Asia: 0.78%
E Africa: 5.61%
S. Africa: 14.26%
Mbuti: 3.86%
West Africa: 69.00%
Biaka: 5.94%
San: 0.06%

Either Gedmatch looks deeper into ancestry more. Or I need to take different types of tests at Ancestry. I took multiple test at Gedmatch because they were free, but I only felt like posting two of the tests. While ancestry I would have to pay more to get those other types of tests.

But seriously what's up with that? My genes are like the fùcking rainbow. But really I'm confused, I thought I was 100% west African Igbo , because both of my parents are Igbo, but I'm not even 100% Igbo it's self, according to ancestry, I'm 50% Nigerian, 24% Cameroon/Congo, 20% Benin/Togo, and 6% Ivory Coast/Ghana.

Also, my Parents were never slaves in America, they came to America by there own free will. They were not here during slavery, they came recently like 20 years, Like 1995, slavery was already dead, so slavery in America could not be the option with this DNA mix up.

So, when people ask me where I'm from do I list all of the countries where my DNA leads to?

Or should I just say Nigeria?

Or should I just switch up, like sometimes I say Nigeria, others times Cameroon, other times Europe, others times Middle East etc.?

And what's funny is that I don't even look mix, all my friends say I look African, that's it.

i might be late to this but an average igbo is mixed. Getting cameroon congo on an igbo result is perfectly normal

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Peremobowei Shedrack Erebulu Becomes The Youngest King In Ijaw Nation. Photos / Ooni Of Ife Ogunwusi’s Pre-Coronation Photoshoot / 5 Uniforms Every Responsible Lady Must Wear And The Correct Sequence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.