Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,658 members, 7,823,862 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:47 PM

Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? (34938 Views)

Ancestry Quest / Nigerian/african Ancestry Of Puerto Ricans / Complex Genetic Ancestry Of Americans Uncovered. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 1:44am On May 23, 2015
bigfrancis21:

How is your mother's father part middle eastern?

Because his father's grandfather was middle eastern. But his father's grandmother was an Igbo so yeah it's part middle eastern.

1 Like

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by bigfrancis21: 2:03am On May 23, 2015
Fireflame144000:

Because his father's grandfather was middle eastern. But his father's grandmother was an Igbo so yeah it's part middle eastern.

Ok. Which country in the middle east?

1 Like

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 2:19am On May 23, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Ok. Which country in the middle east?

One from Syria another from Israel.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by bigfrancis21: 2:28am On May 23, 2015
Fireflame144000:

If all you're saying is true, then it might explain your test.

However, initially I noticed you smirked at the possibility of having ashnekazi jewish ancestry.

1 Like

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 2:33am On May 23, 2015
bigfrancis21:

If all you're saying is true, then it might explain your test.

However, initially I noticed you smirked at the possibility of having ashnekazi jewish ancestry.

Because it says Nazi in it, so I thought it was funny, plus my ancestor was a Sephardi jew not an Ashkenazi Jew, so I didn't know I had any Ashkenazi Jewish Ancestors
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by bigfrancis21: 3:43am On May 23, 2015
In some way, my mind casts some doubt on the entire 'DNA ancestry' thing. Could this be some made-up test just to merely back-up some 'jewish' ancestry of Igbos?

1 Like

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by tpiadotcom: 5:21am On May 23, 2015
Fireflame144000:

Do you know what years?
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by tpiadotcom: 5:22am On May 23, 2015
Fireflame144000:

I'm already got Another company, and yes it's pretty accurate besidea the Lemba thing is at a low percentage, and I'm 80% west African, since the west African gene is dominate then I said is pretty accurate. Also, my mother confirms what the test says, she knows her father is part middle eastern (she has her own family tree back at her home that she can trace to at least one middle eastern ancestor) so to say my families's ancestors did not pick up other genes while traveling from the Middle East all the way to west Africa is pretty inaccurate.

Does your mum know how/why her ancestor was in the area at that time?
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Ihuomadinihu: 6:45am On May 23, 2015
Fireflame144000:

I for say! I was getting confused to put it mildly. When did full igbos start manifesting Isreali dna. Haba!
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Nobody: 11:39am On May 23, 2015
Well, this is unexpected. A maternal Jewish great-great grandfather. That puts your Jewish ancestor in the 19th century, at least. One wouldn't think there were Jewish men mixing with women in the relatively insular interior of Igboland at that time.

But it does make a little sense, going by your revelation that he was Sephardic, and not Ashkenazi.

Do you know any details about this Jewish ancestor? Where he came from? What brought him to Nigerian shores in about the 19th century?
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 12:50pm On May 23, 2015
tpiadotcom:

Ahh don't know, I'd have to ask her.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 12:52pm On May 23, 2015
Radoillo:
Well, this is unexpected. A maternal Jewish great-great grandfather. That puts your Jewish ancestor in the 19th century, at least. One wouldn't think there were Jewish men mixing with women in the relatively insular interior of Igboland at that time.

But it does make a little sense, going by your revelation that he was Sephardic, and not Ashkenazi.

Do you know any details about this Jewish ancestor? Where he came from? What brought him to Nigerian shores in about the 19th century?

I'll have to ask my parents, well maybe not my parents my grandmother specifically. But I can say that my mother's grandfather was a general in the army if that helps.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 12:56pm On May 23, 2015
tpiadotcom:

again, I'd have to ask her, but All I know was that my grandfather was a general in the army so that's a clue. But as for the Askenazi part, my father side is really rich and they own businesses and travel a lot, so that's probably had the Ashkenazi got in there in the first place, from traveling.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 12:57pm On May 23, 2015
tpiadotcom:

Do you know what years?

I think Radi give the years, the 19th century.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by vislabraye(m): 3:07pm On May 24, 2015
Fireflame144000:

What is Eden?

Update: ah never mind, I think I know

Tot he would find Jewish blood
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by musicwriter(m): 3:11pm On May 24, 2015
@OP.
All the pointers suggest you're from west Africa. And it's safe to say you're origin is Nigeria since a different test said precisely Nigeria.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Nobody: 3:13pm On May 24, 2015
Fireflame144000:
What the fúck? I'm confused

I took a DNA test at AncestryDNA and as I expected it says that I am 100% west African.

Igbos and Cameroonians should have no differences genetically
These tests are not without question
This is what happens when nigerian parents bring up kids in America and refuse to take them home to connect with their roots
They grow up with all sorts of complexes and begin asking ridiculous questions and seeking answers to them

[size=18pt]I blame your parents[/size]

5 Likes

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Bonapart(m): 3:13pm On May 24, 2015
bbdd:
@Op

Find one and stick to it.
No one cares.

Really. No one cares if you tell them you're part philipino - part German. They'll just say oh wow and move on.

All these percentages you quoted..... No comment
you wicked o @"they'll just say ooh wow and move on"
You killed it right there... seriously no one cares

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by free2ryhme: 3:14pm On May 24, 2015
Fireflame144000:

I took a DNA test at AncestryDNA and as I expected it says that I am 100% west African.

But I bought another kit from 23andme so I can find out my brother's Y-DNA. While I was waiting for my Brother's test results to come in, I decided to upload my AncestryDNA results to Gedmatch since Gedmatch, AncestryDNA, and 23andme all work with other. So on Gedmatch when one of the first test I took on Gedmatch was the 'Jtest' under the Eurogene project, selecting the chromosome painting process and here are the results.

South-Baltic
East-Euro
North-Central_ Euro
Atlantic
West-Med
AshkeNAZI (giggle)
East-med
West-Asian
Middle eastern
South-Asian
East African
Siberian
West-Africa

Unfortunately, this particular test did not show a percentage, but they had a color code, and the color for west Africa which was light brown, was of course really really dominate.

My second test

This one is under the dodcad project, the process type was 'Admixture proportions (with link to Oracle)'

The calculator model was 'Africa9'

Here are the results (this one shows the percentage)

Europe: 0.49%
SW.Asia: 0.78%
E Africa: 5.61%
S. Africa: 14.26%
Mbuti: 3.86%
West Africa: 69.00%
Biaka: 5.94%
San: 0.06%

Either Gedmatch looks deeper into ancestry more. Or I need to take different types of tests at Ancestry. I took multiple test at Gedmatch because they were free, but I only felt like posting two of the tests. While ancestry I would have to pay more to get those other types of tests.

But seriously what's up with that? My genes are like the fùcking rainbow. But really I'm confused, I thought I was 100% west African Igbo , because both of my parents are Igbo, but I'm not even 100% Igbo it's self, according to ancestry, I'm 50% Nigerian, 24% Cameroon/Congo, 20% Benin/Togo, and 6% Ivory Coast/Ghana.

Also, my Parents were never slaves in America, they came to America by there own free will. They were not here during slavery, they came recently like 20 years, Like 1995, slavery was already dead, so slavery in America could not be the option with this DNA mix up.

So, when people ask me where I'm from do I list all of the countries where my DNA leads to?

Or should I just say Nigeria?

Or should I just switch up, like sometimes I say Nigeria, others times Cameroon, other times Europe, others times Middle East etc.?

And what's funny is that I don't even look mix, all my friends say I look African, that's it.

why confuse yourself with things that are beyond your control
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by ocheejemb: 3:16pm On May 24, 2015
Science is never exact, basically very good estimates within set confidence intervals. All your other ancestries could easily be noise to yout 60% Nigerian signal. Or it could be that some of your ancestors might have migrated from one of these places. With no records, you might never know.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Nobody: 3:18pm On May 24, 2015
Next time he will start asking us if he is a man
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Pavore9: 3:20pm On May 24, 2015
Here in Kenya, there is a tribe that may have a shared ancestry with the igbos though l am yet to do a detailed research, they bear names such Opara, Amadi, Okechi, Ngige etc!

2 Likes

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Dronedude(m): 3:23pm On May 24, 2015
Hmmm

What am I doing here??

I'm sorry, I will just leave...through that door, n I was never here. *runs out of the thread*
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by NobleG1(m): 3:32pm On May 24, 2015
Fireflame144000:

But I bought another kit from 23andme so I can find out my brother's Y-DNA. While I was waiting for my Brother's test results to come in, I decided to upload my AncestryDNA results to Gedmatch since Gedmatch, AncestryDNA, and 23andme all work with other. So on Gedmatch when one of the first test I took on Gedmatch was the 'Jtest' under the Eurogene project, selecting the chromosome painting process and here are the results.

South-Baltic
East-Euro
North-Central_ Euro
Atlantic
West-Med
AshkeNAZI (giggle)
East-med
West-Asian
Middle eastern
South-Asian
East African
Siberian
West-Africa

Unfortunately, this particular test did not show a percentage, but they had a color code, and the color for west Africa which was light brown, was of course really really dominate.

My second test

This one is under the dodcad project, the process type was 'Admixture proportions (with link to Oracle)'

The calculator model was 'Africa9'

Here are the results (this one shows the percentage)

Europe: 0.49%
SW.Asia: 0.78%
E Africa: 5.61%
S. Africa: 14.26%
Mbuti: 3.86%
West Africa: 69.00%
Biaka: 5.94%
San: 0.06%

Either Gedmatch looks deeper into ancestry more. Or I need to take different types of tests at Ancestry. I took multiple test at Gedmatch because they were free, but I only felt like posting two of the tests. While ancestry I would have to pay more to get those other types of tests.

But seriously what's up with that? My genes are like the fùcking rainbow. But really I'm confused, I thought I was 100% west African Igbo , because both of my parents are Igbo, but I'm not even 100% Igbo it's self, according to ancestry, I'm 50% Nigerian, 24% Cameroon/Congo, 20% Benin/Togo, and 6% Ivory Coast/Ghana.

Also, my Parents were never slaves in America, they came to America by there own free will. They were not here during slavery, they came recently like 20 years, Like 1995, slavery was already dead, so slavery in America could not be the option with this DNA mix up.

So, when people ask me where I'm from do I list all of the countries where my DNA leads to?

Or should I just say Nigeria?

Or should I just switch up, like sometimes I say Nigeria, others times Cameroon, other times Europe, others times Middle East etc.?

And what's funny is that I don't even look mix, all my friends say I look African, that's it.

The results of those test methods are never conclusion.

Nigeria is the most populous Black nation on earth. In other words, population of Nigerian is 99.9% black.

If you're parents are black Nigerian immigrants then you're a 100% West African black person.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by queridasally(f): 3:35pm On May 24, 2015
Lol, nde obodo oyibo, your getting worked up for what I think is so not important, honestly at least half of us here don't have an idea of all you wrote. If its an issue for you ask your parents about it.lol, but na you go find trouble dey look for wetin no dey missing.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Motolank: 3:35pm On May 24, 2015
Someone show all of he/she takes things that don't belong to him/her if yes. ..its pure-ibo angry
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by flokii: 3:36pm On May 24, 2015
@OP this your case get as e be o... you dey disturb ursef with ancestry tests online when you fit jst meet babalawo check your place of origin... Anyways na you sabi.. Goodluck!
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Balkan(m): 3:37pm On May 24, 2015
I suspect your mum of infidelity

1 Like

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by queridasally(f): 3:37pm On May 24, 2015
babyosisi:
Next time he will start asking us if he is a man
lol, mama be nice, he is in a dilenma cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Suitor Dies In Katsina Marriage Flogging Game / The New Orimolusi Of Ijebu-Igbo, Lawrence Adebajo & His Convoy Hailed By Crowd / Pictures Of Lovely Geles You Wouldn't Mind Wearing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.