Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,576 members, 7,823,506 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:05 AM

What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn (4836 Views)

APC Suspends Three Senators, Other Legislators / READ: What Senators Said Before Amaechi's Ministerial Confirmation / What Senators Got Allocated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by AloyEmeka9: 7:49am On Feb 12, 2009
Wednesday, February 11, 2009 Printer Friendly Version
What senators, other lawmakers earn

By Chiawo Nwankwo

advertisement

The Revenue Mobilistion Allocation and Fiscal Commission had late in 2008, increased the monthly salaries and allowances of all public officers in line with the powers conferred on it by the Constitution.

The increase generated national debate while the development encouraged organised labour to agitate for increase in the salaries of civil servants amid the current global economic downturn.

The hike was over 100 per cent just as judicial officers also benefited from the increase

The RMAFC upward review came after the 2,000 exercise

Under the last increase, the monthly basic salary of a senator was hiked from N993,697 to N2.48m per month just as that of a member of the House of Representatives moved from monthly N794,084 to N1.98m per month

A state Assembly lawmaker's salary was increased from monthly N794,084 to N1.98m per month.

Other perks that were affected by the RMAFC upward review not to be slashed include sundry allowances such as vehicle maintenance from 30 per cent to 75 per cent, entertainment from 10 per cent to 30 per cent.

Also, utility allowance went up from 20 per cent to 30 per cent.

For legislators, wardrobe allowance 25 per cent, personal assistant allowance is 25 per cent; domestic staff allowance is 75 per cent, recess allowance 10 per cent while newspapers allowance is 15 per cent.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/feb/11/407.html
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by AloyEmeka9: 7:50am On Feb 12, 2009
So a senator makes about $20K per month on salary alone in Nigeria?. That is about $240K per annum which is almost equivalent to the salary of the US president.
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by jamace(m): 8:39am On Feb 12, 2009
Under the last increase, the monthly basic salary of a senator was hiked from N993,697 to N2.48m per month just as that of a member of the House of Representatives moved from monthly N794,084 to N1.98m per month

A state Assembly lawmaker's salary was increased from monthly N794,084 to N1.98m per month.
Chinekeeeeeeee! No wonder it is a do or die to get there! shocked shocked angry
Our penioners struggle to get as low as #6,000 per month and is not forthcoming, after 35 years of meritorious service to the nation. Some even die in the pension office while struggling to collect the stipend. Na waooooo. cry cry cry
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by cooldays(m): 8:47am On Feb 12, 2009
it is absolutely unfair but that is Nigeria
the idiot don't do anything in Abuja
i watch all the news in a day and i
don't get to see my senator, but
what can i expect from a ,
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by jamace(m): 7:24pm On Feb 28, 2009
If petroleum product is deregulated, what happens to salary of senators and our politicians?
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by bawomolo(m): 7:33pm On Feb 28, 2009
kai na so our foreign reserve go vanish be this.
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by Kenezi: 7:55pm On Feb 28, 2009
Daylight robbery, and yet nobody does anything about it.
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by Gamine(f): 8:57pm On Feb 28, 2009
No Wonder everyone was lobbying for the Senate! grin ;Da
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by StFunmi(f): 7:51am On Mar 01, 2009
No Wonder everyone was lobbying for the Senate!

Why? Their contractors earn more.
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by jamace(m): 8:01am On Mar 01, 2009
The President made us to know that the salaries of politicians, starting from himself, would be cut down in view of the present economic meltdown. What action has been taken so far? Somebody please update me. Meanwhile, petroleum product has been deregulated, meaning that we are going to pay higher for these products since subsidy has been removed. I hope the deregulation process will not take effect before the salaries of politicians are cut. It is good everybody have a feel of the pangs of the deregulation.
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by StFunmi(f): 8:05am On Mar 01, 2009
I hope the deregulation process will not take effect before the salaries of politicians are cut. It is good everybody have a feel of the pangs of the deregulation.
Roflmao;    grin grin grin You think they rely on that chicken change you call salary to chop?. Their salary is channeled straight to their mistresses bank account.
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by MaiSuya(m): 10:08am On Mar 01, 2009
Unbelievable!! Even with reality of our dwindling revenue, public officers are still earning such obscene sums of money?

WAhlahi I must become a senator! angry
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by brownbonno(m): 9:27pm On Mar 01, 2009
Nigeria: Salary Cut - RMAFC Yet to Decide on Percentage
Idris Ahmed
13 February 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Email|Print|Comment
Share:
The percentage cut in the salaries of some political officer holders suggested by President Umar Musa Yar'adua cannot be fixed now until it is well deliberated upon, the Revenue Mobilization, Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMAFC) said yesterday.

Chairman of the commission Engineer Hamman Tukur told newsmen in Abuja that the President's letter has certain implications which may take sometime to analyze and digest before any amendment in the current revenue package is proposed to the National Assembly.

President Yar'adua had written a letter to the commission last Monday, suggesting a downward review in the current salary package for certain political, public and judicial office holders in the country. In the letter, the President cited the current global financial meltdown and the declining oil revenue as the main reason to review downward the recurrent costs of government in order to maintain the momentum of the country's development. Briefing newsmen at an emergency meeting where commissioners of the revenue body deliberated on the president's request, Tukur said it is difficult to say when a new salary for the affected workers will be fixed.

He said: "We can't say this is our response now without digesting Mr. President's letter. The effect of the letter has many implications, so we cannot say now this is the percentage we are going to reduce from the present package.

"We are perpetually looking at market issues and all our zonal officers are looking at the market.

This commission has to deliberate and work out a realizable package. Whatever decision we arrive at here now, it will still go to the National Assembly." Tukur said since revenue packages that the commission deals with are in different versions as they affect the legislature, the executive and the judiciary, the commission needs to study the particular aspects of the constitution that deal with that. On whether the President's directives affects local government chairmen and such other categories of political office holders, Tukur said they may be affected too.

"But one thing that you need to know is that some people would say that you cannot reduce my salary unless you demote me from my current level. So, we have to legally review the remuneration and come out with a strategy on that", he said. In the current salary package for political office holders, the President receives as basic salary N3,514,705, Vice President N3, 031,572.50, ministers N2, 026, 400, ministers of state N1, 957, 580, special adviser N1, 942, 875, and auditor general/ permanent secretaries N1, 925, 865.

Relevant Links
West Africa
Economy, Business and Finance
Labour
Nigeria
In the judiciary, the Chief Justice of the Nigeria gets N3, 363, 972.50 followed by Justices of the Supreme Court and President of the Court of Appeal with annual basic salary of N2, 477, 110. At the state level, a governor receives an annual basic salary of N2, 223, 705 while his deputy receives N2, 112, 215.00. The chairman of a local government council receives an annual salary of N908, 312 while the vice chairman receives N853, 056. The current remuneration package was approved by the National Assembly last year sequel to RMAFC's proposal. The commission had upwardly reviewed the 2000 remuneration package for political office holders on the grounds that it wanted to ensure a living wage that would shield political office holders from corruption. RMAFC said it held wide consultations with stakeholders at the three tiers and arms of government before arriving at the review.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200902130539.html
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by jamace(m): 11:03pm On Mar 01, 2009
These politicians were elected to serve and not to chop us dry. Look, they should cut their salary to average salary earner in Nigeria. Military and paramilitary men are supposed to recieve the highest salary in Nigeria because of the risky nature of their jobs. As it is now, a senator's one month salary can pay about 6 Major Generals in the Nigerian Army a month. Wow, this is unbelieveable. These politicians see their positions as an economic venture. If the senators and other govt officials salaries are brought to the average salary level, people will not do anything to get that position as it will no longer be lucrative and attractive. The Revenue Mobilization, Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMAFC) should reduce all political office holders basic salary by 80%. angry angry sad sad
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by Gamine(f): 11:50pm On Mar 01, 2009
Cutting of salaries is just screensaver, and they still have to spend money to deliberate on the percentage!!?!!

MY COUNTRY!!! them too smart jare cheesy

They do not even get by on their salaries, salaries that they dash people grin

The only ones that would suffer are the "Ginkishis" that eat from their hand
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by Kobojunkie: 12:28am On Mar 02, 2009
I really think it is time Nigerians stop defending mediocrity and start opening their eyes to reality as is. A Senator in the USA(where people actually work and push for change while in office) can earn about $168k a year, while a senator in Nigeria, a country where the perks are outrageous and cost of living is nowhere close to that in America is over $240K? Highway Robbery of the worst kind is what this is. This is a job that comes with over $1000’s of jobs in perks each year in addition to this outrageous amount, makes me wonder how much the president himself makes and why.
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by StFunmi(f): 7:32am On Mar 02, 2009
I really think it is time Nigerians stop defending mediocrity and start opening their eyes to reality as is. A Senator in the USA(where people actually work and push for change while in office) can earn about $168k a year, while a senator in Nigeria, a country where the perks are outrageous and cost of living is nowhere close to that in America is over $240K? Highway Robbery of the worst kind is what this is. This is a job that comes with over $1000’s of jobs in perks each year in addition to this outrageous amount, makes me wonder how much the president himself makes and why.

That's the bedrock of our coat of alms. grin grin grin grin
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by jamace(m): 9:39pm On Mar 08, 2009
How can Nigeria develope when the politicians have allocated the whole budget money to themselves as salary.
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by Freiburger(m): 2:14pm On Mar 09, 2009
These figures above are just what we know, but the law makers do get in most cases 10times highier through other illedal activities.
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by PurestBoy(m): 2:43pm On Mar 09, 2009
Na today? Abeg leave story joo
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by Fhemmmy: 6:14pm On Mar 10, 2009
I will not even complain about the salary, if they were effective and there is any progress in the nation.
Not to talk of all the brown envelopes that ends up on their desk everyday and all the kick backs.
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by jamace(m): 12:43pm On Mar 11, 2009
Just sharing the national cake for themselves alone. Too bad. sad
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by jamace(m): 11:21am On Mar 29, 2009
and they claim to be making laws for You and I.
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by Nemeziz9ja: 2:03pm On Mar 29, 2009
A very sad reality of the priorities of our Nigerian rulers leaders.
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by jamace(m): 9:19pm On Mar 30, 2009
Yet they can not approve a paltry N52,000 per month salary for civil servants.
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by mccloud224(m): 2:44am On Mar 31, 2009
Abeg leave dem make dem chop joo.The people get the leaders they deserve.Almost everyone here would do worse than them if given the opportunity let's quit the whining and nagging.We be who we be.9ja mentality na get rich or die thieving.Until we change our way of thinking,all na playback.
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by meexteriox(m): 5:21pm On Mar 31, 2009
This post is another way of spoiling my day.
I read things like this and i just go what the f**k?
The salary is not commensurate with the amount of work put in by this lawbreakers makers.
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by JustGood(m): 5:28pm On Mar 31, 2009
meexteriox:

This post is another way of spoiling my day.
I read things like this and i just go what the f**k?
The salary is not commensurate with the amount of work put in by this lawbreakers makers.

same here bro.

It almost makes one go insane angry
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by jamace(m): 8:38am On Apr 04, 2009
Abeg leave dem make dem chop joo.The people get the leaders they deserve.Almost everyone here would do worse than them if given the opportunity let's quit the whining and nagging.We be who we be.9ja mentality na get rich or die thieving.Until we change our way of thinking,all na playback.

Its like you are a heir to the throne.
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by naijaking1: 9:14am On Apr 04, 2009
It's only in naija that some people could decide what to earn, when they earn it, and how much work they do earning the said amount.
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by jamace(m): 9:14pm On May 19, 2009
Imagine only 10% reduction on the basic salary. Is this not a mockery of the salary reduction in view of the present economic meltdown?
Re: What Senators, Other Lawmakers Earn by prosper(m): 8:37am On Nov 11, 2010

(1) (Reply)

Robbers Kill 5 In Ibadan •one Robber Killed, Another Arrested / Stop Using Religion To Destabilize South West, ACN Warns PDP / NBC Opts For Signal Neutralisation Of Radio Biafra.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.