Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,909 members, 7,814,070 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:32 AM

Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie (47413 Views)

I Think I Think Too Much... Is This Normal?? / Please Help My Friend Save A Strong Woman / My Friend Engaged In A Remarkable Way To A Gorgeous Woman See Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by hensben(m): 7:40am On May 31, 2015
kandiikane:

That's fine, let there be roles but for those who are not interested in such roles, they can live their lives without conforming to such roles. Is chidinma not married? Just like you believe it is wrong for roles to be changed, there are men who are not bothered with the roles and they do what works for their marriage. It's simple be with someone who share the same values with you but know that many of our generation will teach our children male or female the same roles equality, without any gender discrimination.
I believe/know you are a lady but why using 'm' as your gender identity, isn't that inferiority complex
How about we stop using M or F as identity, H=human will be cool cool

3 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by chinnyonwu(m): 7:42am On May 31, 2015
missterious:
Because of the world we're born into, it's a natural thing to undermine females. I personally am guilty of it sometimes. I apologize for seeing my period, for being female. A random guy tells me men don't like ladies who use dark lipstick & I stop using it. I automatically assume touchmeder (one of the best writers on nairaland) is male because she writes so well.

But feminism creeps in on you. You begin to wonder why even a stranger on the street tells you to "smile, you're a woman". Seriously? -__- Is there like a gene for smiling specially installed in females? You watch an extremely sexist movie that basically says men are gods & should be worshipped & "catered for" whether you feel like it or not. I'm not your f*cking slave.

And for those that will mention marriage now, marriage is not a gateway to heaven.

dont take it too personal.
whether we like it or not Male and Female are different. if not some people would not be called sissies or tomboys on the other hand.
would you be happy to see ur son catwalking as he walks.?
or when you see your daughter sitting with her legs open (when shes wearing trousers)?

We have things that make us peculiar to our sexes pls dont let Chimamanda make u guys turn from our lovely pretty angels.
well i think Adiches main point is as regards leadership positions not necessarily mannerism.

me personally is never attracted to masculine females. tge more feminine (voice, attitude, mannerisms...)the better and balances out wit my masculinity. cheers
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Cutehector(m): 7:42am On May 31, 2015
fairygeh:

*yawns* boring. weak come back as usual, I guess it was just a waste of 30 mins of my precious time exchanging words with an inconsequential "thing"like you.
BTW I know u will reply this again,come on don't disappoint me, immature monkey tongue
BYEEEE
lol bye darling... Make sure u dnt trip while trekking...
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by BlackHuman(m): 7:45am On May 31, 2015
I don't like Feminism....The truth is Feminism and Misandry often go hand-in-hand. And most Feminist are women who wish they weren't women and therefore are envious of men.....BESIDES BOTH CHRISTIANITY AND ISLAM DO NOT SUPPORT FEMINISM.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 7:46am On May 31, 2015
BUTCHCASSIDY:

Im certainly not you, an @$$ kisser. So tell me are you really talking here because of your convictions or you want to score cheap points with the girls here?
If i'm an asskisser for speaking on sensible matters concerning women oppression, I'll gladly do it over and over again.

Thanks

6 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by 5minsmadness: 7:53am On May 31, 2015
FrancisTony:

She's solid gold and not exhibiting excess secretion of testosterone?

Don't bother replying.

Hypocrite!
Bwahahahhahahahahahahaha cheesy

I will reply this one, and there is nothing you can do about it!

She explained her points very well, balanced and unbiased. Money doesn't solve everything. Money doesn't keep you company at night and money won't write your eulogy.
A female can be feminine which is what she is naturally meant to be. She doesn't have to be feminist which is essentially a woman that is jealous of men and trying thier damndest to be like them.

You support ladies that tow your agenda and expect me not to do same?

Hypocrite!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by pjc(m): 7:56am On May 31, 2015
Dear Chimamanda, I like so well that you grew to become such a strong woman, but please don't let these radical ideas of yours evidently as a result of past and not so good experinces influence the mothers of tomorrow and change the world beyond human recognition.
I like you and am definitely sure I can easily subdue you if we were to be. That is how the world is meant to be. Men and Women were never created as equals or to be equals in any way. We are distinctively different in so many ways, and I suffice this to say that it can only take a man of equal strength and valour to make you realize this.
Just as a zoologist just quickly figure out between a lion and a lioness, or between a male and a female chimpanzee based simply on their phisical, social and behavioural patterns, I could say the same for mankind. Forget the fact that we are more intelligent, these same behavioural pattern are naturally infused in us to quickly tell between a man or woman. Barely any heroics can change that.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 7:57am On May 31, 2015
FrancisTony:

If i'm an asskisser for speaking on sensible matters concerning women oppression, I'll gladly do it over and over again.

Thanks

Good but get the fvck off my dick

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by dubylhover(m): 7:58am On May 31, 2015
craziebone:
"you don't know what you are saying, you are a small girl"

seriously, doesn't this statement emphasize the "small" rather than the girl? They were talking about the privilege of breaking the kola, for crying out loud! We as africans know what the kola symbolizes. We know it is not too far from experience and wisdom, which is typically associated with age and grey hair.

So when chimamanda and the others at the party were talking about an issue of cultural significance and that statement was made, only chimamnda understood the statement to mean a demeaning of women, just because he identified her as a girl (female)! If no be "small girl" him go call her, na "small boy". Is she a boy/ man/male? Why does she want to be identified differently?

Just last week, i was refered to as a "small boy" by a lady i am three years older than! What should i say then? That i am being judged unable to have a sound opinion on the issue because of my gender?

The fact is, that statement the man made was in no way an attack on her or an attempt to keep her quite because she is female. To the most sensible of all minds, that statement only tells us that the man dismissed her view based on the fact he thinks she isn't old enough to have a sound and insightful opinion on an issue that is just superstitious at best and lacks any real life relevance.

This is another BIG evidence that the lady Chimamanda, like every other feminist i have come across, sees gender i all things there are and can be described as obsessed with the idea, feminism. We can't always trust the words of the one who is obsessed with a thing.

There are so many things i can pick out in her speech, but i do not have all of the time in world for that. I have quantum physics to study. The fact stll remains that the world will never run short of some kind of people. It is only natural that we will always have the smart, the dumb, the rich, the poor, the strong, the weak, the delluded and a Chimamanda in all of history and civilization. So why waste my time trying to correct what will always be there. Thats more like trying to cure the earth of its gravitational power.

pls how old are you?cos i feel the spirit of socratess in you..wise words... grin,tho dx feminists ladies here on nl wudnt agree,do you knw d funny tin abt dx whole concepts of feminism,its that women dnt knw that they even have ummerited favours above men..only the trully wise nd enlightend wud understand
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 8:04am On May 31, 2015
5minsmadness:

Bwahahahhahahahahahahaha cheesy

I will reply this one, and there is nothing you can do about it!

She explained her points very well, balanced and unbiased. Money doesn't solve everything. Money doesn't keep you company at night and money won't write your eulogy.
A female can be feminine which is what she is naturally meant to be. She doesn't have to be feminist which is essentially a woman that is jealous of men and trying thier damndest to be like them.

You support ladies that tow your agenda and expect me not to do same?

Hypocrite!
Husband doesn't do that, either.
There are many married women who are lonely as fvck.
One don't need to be married to have kids who will be her companion and that's a huge inconsistency in her warped post.

Genevieve is unmarried and she's happier than many married women.
Her daughter don't go around whining like many children with father and mother because her mum's money provide everything for her.
She's a companion to her mother when she's needed.
So, widows with kids are lonely?

You say? By the way, Missterious never said she hate being married and getting rich but opined when given an option to choose one.

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 8:10am On May 31, 2015
I love her Speech cool She totally said everything, and i love how insightful and brilliant she is.

And yes Women need to be treated as equal to men, in every possible way. Education, Job ownership, or giving me a job just because I'm a woman, and seen as an object, rather because i deserve the job.the voice to be heard. Women are being oppressed in the society, and that's why we need someone like chimamanda to speak up for us. To empower young girls to be successful in life, and not depend on men. I don't want to feel denied just because I possess the physical qualifications of being a woman and seen as a weak or lesser.

That's being said. Listening to Trapqueen grin The song go kill me o cheesy
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 8:16am On May 31, 2015
missterious:

Lol. Yeah. It's just like an accepted African norm for ladies to strive towards marriage & men to strive towards wealth. Personally, I'd rather be rich than married if I had to choose. lipsrsealed

I agree with you wholeheartedly.
I've told myself, if I don't get to a certain point in my career and finance, I won't bother about marriage.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by czarr(m): 8:19am On May 31, 2015
.......when feminist like this keep running around spewing rubbish.
this is the bedrock of broken homes,
men and women are not and can never be equal,
its something you know,its obvious in everything we do.they be like "empowering women", to do wah?
fight their husband?
curse out a guy?
.....so many past feminist, have repented because they've seen what their movement have caused in the long run.
you can't abuse balance,there's a way things should be,if it isn't, there's gonna be crisis. #shikum

.....I opine that most ladies are hypocrites.
here's why,..when it comes to facing the same punishment/consequences, they be like
" have pity she's just a girl"
.....we are the greater species,deal with it
because we still can't do without you

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by precisionindepth: 8:19am On May 31, 2015
mathdiva:

grin shocked shocked
How dare a woman say she is not in the mood...hehehehe...is she not a woman!!! grin
ego...men are just too full of themselves.

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by JoeCutie(m): 8:22am On May 31, 2015
missterious:

Smh. You know you need help abi? tongue
Yeah. That's why I have you...to help me. grin
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 8:24am On May 31, 2015
smileysmiles:

Isn't it contradictory that women shouldn't do some things because they are women yet they want political offices in Nigeria because they are women and should be given the opportunity..

Not because they are women; because they are humans who want to serve.. and it shouldnt be an "opportunity" makes it sound like its a "favor" of some sorts to a 2nd class citizen.

They've been told they are the weaker sex, so they play the victim card to get what they want in a male dominated world.
That's how they can get what they want, for now.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by JoeCutie(m): 8:31am On May 31, 2015
Joavid:

I agree with you wholeheartedly.
I've told myself, if I don't get to a certain point in my career and finance, I won't bother about marriage.
Na so dem dey talk. A course mate of mine vowed never to get married until after her youth service. Now she's pregnant for her third child, and she's just in her finals. This is just one of the numerous cases of ladies saying this and that, and before you know it, they've gone contrary to that. It's no longer new. We've seen it plenty times before.

Why am I saying this? You and I know for sure, that what you've just said now is just one of those Nairaland contributions. I give you a few years or even months from now, when "love" starts pushing you around like swinging pendulum. When that happens, you'd sit down and reflect on what would have been. It's always like that. smiley

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by winner01(m): 8:35am On May 31, 2015
missterious:
Thorpido, women have been marginalized for thousands of years. At this point, we have to ACTIVELY fight to have an equal voice. For example, to make a poor man a millionaire like his neighbour, you give him a million naira. And you give the neighbour nothing. It's a crude example but it's basically what women want now.
which women exactly are you talking about....Definately not the ones that decided to reject the evil mentality of feminism and became great anyway.... Women have never been marginalized, it a lie to cage our unsuspecting ladies...

Sappho (c 570 BC) One of the first published female writers.
Much of her poetry has been lost but her immense reputation
has remained. Plato referred to Sappho as one of the great 10
poets.
Cleopatra (69 – 30 BC) The last Ptolemaic ruler of Egypt.
Cleopatra sought to defend Egypt from the expanding Roman
Empire. In doing so she formed relationships with two of
Rome’s most powerful leaders Marc Anthony and Julius
Caesar.
Mary Magdalene (4 BC – 40AD) Accounts from the Gospels and
other sources suggest Mary Magdalene was one of Jesus’ most
devoted followers. Mary Magdalene stood near Jesus at his
crucifixion and was the first to see his resurrection.
Boudicca (1st Century AD) Boudicca was an inspirational leader
of the Britons. She led several tribes in revolt against the Roman
occupation. Initially successful her army of 100,000 sacked
Colchester and then London. Her army was later defeated.
Hildegard of Bingen (1098 – 1179) Mystic, author and
composer. Hildegard of Bingen lived a withdrawn life, spending
most of her time behind convent walls. However her writings,
poetry and music were revelatory for the time period. She was
consulted by Popes, Kings and influential people of the time.
Her writings and music have influenced people to this day.
Eleanor of Aquitaine (1122 – 1204) The first Queen of France.
Two of her sons Richard and John went on to become Kings of
England. Educated, beautiful and highly articulate, Eleanor
influenced the politics of western Europe through her alliances
and influence over her sons.
Joan of Arc (1412 – 1431) The patron saint of France, Joan of
Arc inspired a French revolt against the occupation of the
English. An unlikely heroine; at the age of just 17, the diminutive
Joan successfully led the French to victory at Orleans. Her later
trial and martyrdom only heightened her mystique.
Mirabai (1498-1565) Indian mystic and poet. Mirabai was born
into a privileged Hindu family, but she forsook the expectations
of a princess and spent her time as a mystic and devotee of
Krishna. She helped revitalise the tradition of bhakti
(devotional) yoga in India.
St Teresa of Avila (1515 – 1582) Spanish mystic, poet and
Carmelite reformer. St Teresa of Avila lived through the Spanish
inquisition but avoided been placed on trial despite her mystical
revelations. She helped to reform the tradition of Catholicism
and steer the religion away from fanaticism.
Catherine de Medici (1519 – 1589) Born in Florence, Italy,
Catherine was married to the King of France at the age of 14.
She was involved in interminable political machinations seeking
to increase the power of her favoured sons. This led to the
disastrous St Bartholomew’s Day Massacre.
Elizabeth I (1533 – 1603) Queen of England during a time of
great economic and social change, she saw England cemented
as a Protestant country. During her reign she witnessed the
defeat of the Spanish Armada leaving Britain to later become
one of the world’s dominant superpowers.
Catherine the Great (1729 –1796) One of the greatest political
leaders of the Eighteenth Century. Catherine the great was said
to have played an important role in improving the lot of the
Russian serfs. She placed great emphasis on the arts and
helped to cement Russia as one of the dominant countries in
Europe.
Jane Austen (1775 – 1817) – One of the most popular female
authors Jane Austen wrote several novels, which remain highly
popular today. These include “Pride and Prejudice” “Emma” and
“Northanger Abbey”. Jane Austen wrote at a time when female
writers were not so high profile, helping pave the way for future
writers.
Harriet Beecher Stowe (1811 – 1896) A life long anti slavery
campaigner. Her novel “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” was a best seller
and helped to popularise the anti slavery campaign. Abraham
Lincoln would later remark her books were a major factor
behind the American civil war.
Queen Victoria (1819 – 1901) – British Queen. Presiding over
one of the largest empires ever seen, Queen Victoria was the
head of state from 1837-1901.Queen Victoria sought to gain an
influence in British politics whilst remaining aloof from party
politics. She came to symbolise a whole era of Victorian values.
Florence Nightingale (1820 – 1910) British nurse. By serving in
the Crimean war, Florence Nightingale was instrumental in
changing the role and perception of the nursing profession. Her
dedicated service won widespread admiration and led to a
significant improvement in the treatment of wounded soldiers.
Elizabeth Blackwell ( 1821 – 1910) Born in Britain, Blackwell
was the first women to receive a medical degree in America and
the first women to be on the UK medical register. Blackwell
helped to break down social barriers, enabling women to be
accepted as doctors.
Emily Dickinson (1830 – 1886) One of America’s greatest poets
Emily Dickinson lived most of her life in seclusion. Her poems
were published posthumously and received widespread literary
praise for their bold and unconventional style. Her poetic style
left a significant legacy on 20th Century poetry.
Marie Curie (1867 – 1934) – Polish / French scientist. Curie
was the first women to receive the Nobel Prize and the first
person to win the Nobel Prize for two separate categories. Her
first award was for research into radioactivity (Physics 1903).
Her second Nobel prize was for Chemistry in 1911. A few years
later she also helped develop the first X ray machines.
Rosa Luxemburg (1870-1919) Polish / German Marxist
revolutionary, Rosa Luxemburg sought to bring social revolution
to Germany. She wrote fiercely against German imperialism and
for international socialism. In 1919, she was murdered after a
failed attempt to bring about a Communist revolution in
Germany.
Helena Rubinstein (1870 – 1965) American businesswoman.
Rubinstein, formed one of the world’s first cosmetic companies.
Her business enterprise proved immensely successful and later
in life she used her enormous wealth to support charitable
enterprises in the field of education, art and health.
Helen Keller (1880 – 1968) American social activist. At the age
of 19 months Helen became deaf and blind. Overcoming the
frustration of losing both sight and hearing she campaigned
tirelessly on behalf of deaf and blind people.
Coco Chanel (1883-1971) – French fashion designer. One of the
most innovative fashion designers, Coco Chanel was
instrumental in defining feminine style and dress during the 20th
Century. Her ideas were revolutionary; in particular she often
took traditionally male clothes and redesigned them for the
benefit of women.
Eleanor Roosevelt (1884 – 1962) Wife and political aide of
American president F.D.Roosevelt. In her own right Eleanor
made a significant contribution to the field of human rights, a
topic she campaigned upon throughout her life. As head of UN
human rights commission she helped to draft the 1948 UN
declaration of human rights.
Mother Teresa (1910 – 1997) – Albanian nun/ charity work.
Devoting her life to the service of the poor and dispossessed
Mother Teresa became a global icon for selfless service to
others. Through her Missionary of Charities organisation she
personally cared for thousands of sick and dying people in
Calcutta. She was awarded the Nobel Peace prize in 1979.
Dorothy Hodgkin (1910 – 1994) British chemist. Hodgkin was
awarded the Nobel prize for her work on critical discoveries of
the structure of both penicillin and later insulin. These
discoveries led to significant improvements in health care. An
outstanding chemist, Dorothy also devoted a large section of
her life to the peace movement and promoting nuclear
disarmament.
Rosa Parks (1913 – 2005) – American civil rights activist. Rosa
Parks’ refusal to give up her bus seat in Montgomery, Alabama,
indirectly led to some of the most significant civil rights
legislation of American history. She sought to play down her
role in the civil rights struggle but for her peaceful and dignified
campaigning she became one of the most well respected figures
in the civil rights movements.
Queen Elizabeth II (1926 – ) Since ascending to the British
throne in 1952, Elizabeth has served as the second longest
serving British monarch. She has witnessed rapid social and
economic change and has been a unifying influence for Britain
and the Commonwealth.
Indira Gandhi (1917 – 1984) – First female prime minister of
India. She was in power from between 1966-77 and 1980-84.
Accused of authoritarian tendencies she only narrowly avoided
a military coup by agreeing to hold an election at the end of the
“emergency period” of 1977. She was assassinated in 1984 by
her Sikh bodyguards, in response to her storming of the Golden
Temple.
Margaret Thatcher (1925 – 2013) The first female Prime
minister of Great Britain, she governed for over 10 years, putting
emphasis on individual responsibility and a belief in free
markets.
Marilyn Monroe (1926 – 1962) American actress who became
one of the most iconic film legends. Her films were moderately
successful, but her lasting fame came through her photogenic
good looks and aura of glamour and sophistication.
Anne Frank (1929 – 1945) – Dutch / Jewish author. Anne
Frank’s diary is one of the most widely read books in the world.
It reveals the thoughts of a young, yet surprisingly mature 13-
year-old girl, confined to a secret hiding place. “Despite
everything, I believe that people are really good at heart.”
Audrey Hepburn (1929 – 1993) – British actress. Influential
female actor of the 1950s and 60s. Audrey Hepburn defined
feminine glamour and dignity, and was later voted as most
beautiful women of the twentieth century. After her acting career
ended in the mid 1960s, she devoted the remaining period of her
life to humanitarian work with UNICEF.
Germaine Greer (1939 – ) Australian feminist icon of the 1960s
and 1970s, Germaine Greer enjoys raising contentious issues.
In particular her book “The Female Eunuch” was a defining
manifesto for the feminist movement, which proved influential in
the 1960s.
Shirin Ebadi (1947- ) An Iranian lawyer, Ebadi has fought for
human rights in Iran – representing political dissidents and
founding initiatives to promote democracy and human rights.
Awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2003.
Benazir Bhutto (1953 – 2007) The first female prime minister of
a Muslim country. She helped to move Pakistan from a
dictatorship to democracy becoming Prime Minister in 1988.
She sought to implement social reforms, in particular helping
women and the poor. She was assassinated in 2007.
Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) – British Royal princess
who was noted for her humanitarian charity work. Despite
troubled marriage to Prince Charles, she was popular for her
natural sympathy with the poor and marginalised from society.
J.K.Rowling (1965 – ) British author of the phenomenal best
selling Harry Potter series. The volume of sales was so high, it
has been credited with leading a revival of reading by children.
She wrote the first book as a single mother, struggling to make
ends meet, but is now one of most successful self-made
woman.
Tegla Loroupe (1973 – ) Kenyan athlete. Loroupe held the
women’s marathon world record and won many prestigious
marathons. Since retiring from running, she has devoted herself
to various initiatives promoting peace, education and women’s
rights. In her native Kenya, her Peace Race and Peace
Foundation have been widely praised for helping to end tribal
conflict.

Lets consider our very own
QUEEN IDIA - Queen Idia was the mother of Esigie, the Oba
of Benin who ruled from 1504 to 1550. The FESTAC Mask.
Iyoba Idia's visage is the most widely known face of an
African royal woman after the Egyptian Queen.
MRS OLUFUNMILAYO RANSOME-KUTI
QUEEN AMINA OF ZARIA - The most powerful woman
warior in the history of Nigeria
MARGRET EKPO - Foremost activist
MARY ONYALI - Queen of the tracks
HAJIA GAMBO SAWABA
EFUNSATAN ANUWURA
Grace Alele Williams
KUDIRAT ABIOLA
DR. MRS BOLANLE AWE
DR. MRS ADADEVOH
Pastor bimbo odukoya
omotola jolade ekehinde
Gloria bamiloye
rebecca ikpe
Major General Aderonke Kale
Dr. Bene Madunagu
chief. bisi ogunleye
madam tinubu
and the list is endless. These ones ddnt have to be feminists or
mislead young ladies to make their mark and they will be
remembered always.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 8:40am On May 31, 2015
Yadoctora:
This is one reason I don't like the office of first lady.

Can't wrap my hands around the fact that people get into that position because they are wives to somebody and not because they have the capability to carry out such responsibility.

I have always been a fan of Chimamanda Adichie. God bless u woman for thinking in line wink

What?

So there should be an electoral process for the office of the first lady, where people or (more importantly women) should come and vote for their most preferred candidate?

Oh please!
A true feminist would say "scrap the office of the first lady" not what you wrote there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by winner01(m): 8:45am On May 31, 2015
missterious:
Because of the world we're born into, it's a natural thing to undermine females. I personally am guilty of it sometimes. I apologize for seeing my period, for being female. A random guy tells me men don't like ladies who use dark lipstick & I stop using it. I automatically assume touchmeder (one of the best writers on nairaland) is male because she writes so well.

But feminism creeps in on you. You begin to wonder why even a stranger on the street tells you to "smile, you're a woman". Seriously? -__- Is there like a gene for smiling specially installed in females? You watch an extremely sexist movie that basically says men are gods & should be worshipped & "catered for" whether you feel like it or not. I'm not your f*cking slave.

And for those that will mention marriage now, marriage is not a gateway to heaven.
Your first paragraph is actually due to your inferiority complex....im hearing for the first time where a lady apologises for seeing her period
your second paragrah angry
missterious:

Your first paragraph is actually due to your inferiority complex....im hearing for the first time where a lady apologises for seeing her period
for ur 2nd paragraph, hell, ladies ask me to smile cos of how i look........Dont cage youself cos of some stupid message, focus on being a successful woman.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 8:47am On May 31, 2015
JoeCutie:
Na so dem dey talk. A course mate of mine vowed never to get married until after her youth service. Now she's pregnant for her third child, and she's just in her finals. This is just one of the numerous cases of ladies saying this and that, and before you know it, they've gone contrary to that. It's no longer new. We've seen it plenty times before.

Why am I saying this? You and I know for sure, that what you've just said now is just one of those Nairaland contributions. I give you a few years or even months from now, when "love" starts pushing you around like swinging pendulum. When that happens, you'd sit down and reflect on what would have been. It's always like that. smiley

You don't know me. You never will, so I don't need to explain myself to you.

But you, I know how much silly statements you post on this forum.

bye.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 8:51am On May 31, 2015
I am going to be honest here that i am a bit reluctant to continue in this discussion. But just to point out real facts to prove that the goddess of some people isn't absolutely correct, afterall.

She talked about women being taught only to love and not expect (i believe she said something along that line) well, i don't know where she got that idea, no wonder she feels held tightly to a corner. Some women here, both the ones posting and the ones watching from the sidelines, are already begining to feel victimized, a feeling that wasn't there until they came on this thread and that means they were doing just fine. They feel this way because they lack knowledge or that the putting of one's victimhood before him is blinding enough so that they easily forget that their immediate past real life experience points in the opposite direction.

The fact is, this history books, myths, poems, literature, artifacts etc, ONLY speaks of the man's love for his woman and i have not SEEN ANY OF ALL OF THE SOURCES I HAVE MENTION PROVE CHIMAMANDA'S BELIEVE THAT ALL OF HISTORY AND CULTURE AND CIVILIZATION IS ABOUT WOMEN GIVING LOVE AND NOT TAKING IN RETURN. The historical instances of men loving their women and keeping them happy are as follows:

Adam, when presented with his wife, suddenly demonstrated a skill he never knew he had, that he was a good poet. "this is bone of my bone, flesh of my flesh", were the first words he uttered to his woman. And although, he took the apple from his wife, the truth remains that he was doing more of the giving than his woman did. That scenario showed what a weakness his wife was for him; that he was able to defy a God with whom he has had no problem. This is an evidence from far back in history that men have loved women so dearly.

The existence of the Taj Mahal (if you don't know it, i want you too google it. I may not have spelt it correctly but any one with the picture can upload it here for us so that those who do not know and are begining to feel like the victims they never were untill they came here, can be made to have a rethink) squares up in the face of Chimamanda's falsification of cutural and anthropological history that women are only taught how to make men happy and not the other way round and that women have only always given in love and have taken nothing in love. The truth is, the taj mahal is a living proof that men giving to women in love is monumental. Can anyone point to any monument that shows a woman's love for a man? C'mon, look back into history if you have a good knowledge of it and pull it out if you can find one.

Great men have been brought down through the women they were connected to. Have we heard of such a case the other way round? Samson never cheated on Delilah and that means he truelly loved her. The only way a man can leak a secret to a woman even when she had shown that she could betray that trust to his own fatal end is if he is truely in love with that woman. You guys (feminsts) are not men so you don't know how strong a man's feeling for a woman can be. His weakness for her can be so great, he defied God and also put himself to death all fo her sake!

What about the hanging garden of Babylon, one of the seven wonders of the world? I am not sure if it truely existed or if it was just a myth because i find it difficult to believe a garden could hang in the air except with the use of magic or electromagnetism. All of the evidences and many more that i did not give, proves beyond resonable doubt that Chimamnada lied to the favour of her agenda that women have only given and not taken out of love.

Thanks!

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by precisionindepth: 8:55am On May 31, 2015
Cutehector:
Feminist!
she speaks the truth. in D's society, women are most times been marginalized by men and a stop shd come to it.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by JoeCutie(m): 8:58am On May 31, 2015
Joavid:

You don't know me. You never will, so I don't need to explain myself to you.

But you, I know how much silly statements you post on this forum.

bye.
Well, I'm not going to involve myself in your frustration. Obviously, you're looking for a scape goat to vent your anger and frustration on. I'm sorry to disappoint you, that's not how I operate.

Take care, swry.
Bye. smiley

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 8:59am On May 31, 2015
precisionindepth:
she speaks the truth. in D's society, women are most times been marginalized by men and a stop shd come to it.

how are they being marginalized by men?
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by iPopAlomo(m): 9:09am On May 31, 2015
smileysmiles:

"They say" men dont or "Men dont" give them the chance?
In all honesty do you think if buhari was a woman with all his experience and good qualities and al that APC would have made him their presidential candidate?

Can you homestly say nigeria is in a state where Men will vote women as presidents ( evenwhen they are fully qualified)? If your answr is NO.. it raises the question ; why??

Misogyny and feminism apart... which woman categorically deserves to rule Nigeria...?

None... absolutely none...
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by iPopAlomo(m): 9:12am On May 31, 2015
Stillfire:

Let me add that, men are finding it very, very hard to adapt to the changing idea of womanhood...a woman that does not use nuances/passive aggression/pretense (you know the whole characteristics we have of being the 'virtuous woman') to speak her mind, but would tell it as it is. The male gender is attracted to a weak, suppressed, subdued, naive and vulnerable woman. This trait of being attracted to that type of woman is more pronounced in some cultures more than the others. These are all learned and conditioned behaviors, and how your environment and upbringing shapes you to view women. Well all I have to say is that, those who fail to adapt to a changing environment would eventually go extinct. Lol, the confusion also here is that we have empowered the girls, nobody taught the men how to adapt to the empowered woman. grin grin grin grin grin grin

typical you... your numbers are insignificant...

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by JoeCutie(m): 9:13am On May 31, 2015
craziebone:
I am going to be honest here that i am a bit reluctant to continue in this discussion. But just to point out real facts to prove that the goddess of some people isn't absolutely correct, afterall.

She talked about women being taught only to love and not expect (i believe she said something along that line) well, i don't know where she got that idea, no wonder she feels held tightly to a corner. Some women here, both the ones posting and the ones watching from the sidelines, are already begining to feel victimized, a feeling that wasn't there until they came on this thread and that means they were doing just fine. They feel this way because they lack knowledge or that the putting of one's victimhood before him is blinding enough so that they easily forget that their immediate past real life experience points in the opposite direction.

The fact is, this history books, myths, poems, literature, artifacts etc, ONLY speaks of the man's love for his woman and i have not SEEN ANY OF ALL OF THE SOURCES I HAVE MENTION PROVE CHIMAMANDA'S BELIEVE THAT ALL OF HISTORY AND CULTURE AND CIVILIZATION IS ABOUT WOMEN GIVING LOVE AND NOT TAKING IN RETURN. The historical instances of men loving their women and keeping them happy are as follows:

Adam, when presented with his wife, suddenly demonstrated a skill he never knew he had, that he was a good poet. "this is bone of my bone, flesh of my flesh", were the first words he uttered to his woman. And although, he took the apple from his wife, the truth remains that he was doing more of the giving than his woman did. That scenario showed what a weakness his wife was for him; that he was able to defy a God with whom he has had no problem. This is an evidence from far back in history that men have loved women so dearly.

The existence of the Taj Mahal (if you don't know it, i want you too google it. I may not have spelt it correctly but any one with the picture can upload it here for us so that those who do not know and are begining to feel like the victims they never were untill they came here, can be made to have a rethink) squares up in the face of Chimamanda's falsification of cutural and anthropological history that women are only taught how to make men happy and not the other way round and that women have only always given in love and have taken nothing in love. The truth is, the taj mahal is a living proof that men giving to women in love is monumental. Can anyone point to any monument that shows a woman's love for a man? C'mon, look back into history if you have a good knowledge of it and pull it out if you can find one.

Great men have been brought down through the women they were connected to. Have we heard of such a case the other way round? Samson never cheated on Delilah and that means he truelly loved her. The only way a man can leak a secret to a woman even when she had shown that she could betray that trust to his own fatal end is if he is truely in love with that woman. You guys (feminsts) are not men so you don't know how strong a man's feeling for a woman can be. His weakness for her can be so great, he defied God and also put himself to death all fo her sake!

What about the hanging garden of Babylon, one of the seven wonders of the world? I am not sure if it truely existed or if it was just a myth because i find it difficult to believe a garden could hang in the air except with the use of magic or electromagnetism. All of the evidences and many more that i did not give, proves beyond resonable doubt that Chimamnada lied to the favour of her agenda that women have only given and not taken out of love.

Thanks!
Wow!

This is a great and subtle writeup, bro. Thanks for doing this. Thanks. smiley

5 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by iPopAlomo(m): 9:17am On May 31, 2015
smileysmiles:

Lemme rephrase if buhari was a woma under APC and a preaidential candidate.... would he get the same number of votes he got?

I'm proudly chauvinistic... but if Buhareezy was a woman... would I vote for her...

the answer would always be yes...

No woman deserves to be a Nigerian President yet... the ones that deserves that mantle are dead...

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 9:19am On May 31, 2015
NickiRoman:
In your feeble little mind you made sense, And what If she wasn't married,does it affect you in anyway? Oh! obviously it does cause your an ignorant typical cave man.

Getting married is a choice, not everyone is desperate for marriage and feminism as nothing to do with one getting married or not,It all about gender equality.

By the way she's married, are you?

My beautiful damsel do allow me to reiterate your point to him:

And a left hook by manny and a right and then an uppercut, Floyd hugs manny then manny pushes back and follows with a right and a devastating left haymaker Floyd is stunned and hugs manny again.

Then manny delivers a resounding uppercut that sends Floyd flying to the ring ropes

Dude she is manny

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by omojeesu(m): 9:28am On May 31, 2015
Interesting! Brilliant!

The missing link, though, is the God factor, before whom men and women are truly equal in spiritual essence, but different on earth in nature, function and divinely ordained relational status between HUSBAND and WIFE, not just between MEN and WOMEN.

Women are the 'weaker vessels' ESSENTIALLY and GENERALLY in terms of physical strength and emotional expression, CERTAINLY NOT in intellect or leadership skills.

Men have exploited the 'weakness' of women to dominate them in all human societies? Why? It's the tendency inherent in the nature of sin for the stronger to oppress the weaker.

On Adichie's view on homosexuality she's out of divine order with God who created the two sexes (not transgender) for specific biological functions.

Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; MALE and FEMALE created he them.

Have a blessed Sunday!

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Christmasdon(m): 9:28am On May 31, 2015
Cutehector:
Feminist!
. You nailed it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (20) (Reply)

Namibian Man Creates Baby Saver Box For Unplanned Pregnancy And Unwanted Babies / After 14 Years In Europe, Lady Returns Home And Surprises Her Mother (video) / Photos: Woman Brutally Beaten By Husband For Allegedly Greeting Her Pastor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.